PDA

View Full Version : Outside self cutting tap kit

sleeping giant
28-06-2018, 05:27 PM
Stupidly , I fitted one of these self cutting tap kits years ago
https://www.screwfix.com/p/outside-tap-kit-15mm-x/33139

I fitted it onto the main cold pipe leading to the washing machine but I fitted it below the actual tap for that pipe . Now I have discovered that I cannot remove the self tapping tap as it will leave a hole in the pipe below where the washing machine screws into it.

It is an easy job to cut the pipe below the hole and refit the washing machine hose connector back onto the pipe ?

I hope that make sense .

I'm away to take a picture:-)

sleeping giant
28-06-2018, 05:31 PM

nairn hibee
28-06-2018, 07:13 PM
Yes should be easy ,shut the cold mains off,open a cold tap to make sure it's off.you probably won't have a 15mm pipe cutter so saw the pipe just before the hole ,file the end ,take the compression nut off the washing machine valve ,you will need a new 15 mm compression ring .fit it on the valve ,make sure it's pushed all the way home onto the pipe ,hold the valve with a pair off grips and tighten the nut with a spanner.

sleeping giant
28-06-2018, 07:25 PM
Yes should be easy ,shut the cold mains off,open a cold tap to make sure it's off.you probably won't have a 15mm pipe cutter so saw the pipe just before the hole ,file the end ,take the compression nut off the washing machine valve ,you will need a new 15 mm compression ring .fit it on the valve ,make sure it's pushed all the way home onto the pipe ,hold the valve with a pair off grips and tighten the nut with a spanner.

Thats excellent . Thanks.

nairn hibee
28-06-2018, 08:17 PM
Might be a good idea ,once you've tightened the washing machine valve to take it off again to make sure you have compressed the ring ,if there is a slight leak from it put some plumbers thread tape round the ring .

stoneyburn hibs
29-06-2018, 05:47 AM
Chuck that diy kit in the bin and call a plumber.
The self tapping kit will only cause you problems down the line.
People are going mad for outside taps this week, I've done six this week.

sleeping giant
29-06-2018, 07:31 AM
Chuck that diy kit in the bin and call a plumber.
The self tapping kit will only cause you problems down the line.
People are going mad for outside taps this week, I've done six this week.

Kit will be going straight in the bin :agree:

How much does it cost to fit an outside tap roughly ?

Peevemor
29-06-2018, 07:31 AM

Less than it costs to do it properly? :dunno:

sleeping giant
29-06-2018, 07:34 AM
Less than it costs to do it properly? :dunno:

:na na:

stoneyburn hibs
29-06-2018, 08:38 AM

Between £60 and £80