PDA

View Full Version : McGinn

Colr
20-06-2018, 11:10 AM
What’s the latest? Will he stay or will he go?

Northernhibee
20-06-2018, 11:12 AM

We'll know this Strummer.

Hibeewilly
20-06-2018, 11:13 AM
Stay IMHO

andybev1
20-06-2018, 11:13 AM

lol clever

Greenworld
20-06-2018, 11:16 AM
Go is my guess

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hibbyradge
20-06-2018, 11:17 AM

I hope he's still here for the Runavik Clash.

One Day Soon
20-06-2018, 11:22 AM

Could be bad news for us if London's Calling though.

Northernhibee
20-06-2018, 11:23 AM
Could be bad news for us if London's Calling though.

Lennon will need to Clampdown on that.

timewilltell
20-06-2018, 11:25 AM

Maybe, maybe not.... Are you bored?

AlbertK86
20-06-2018, 11:25 AM
We’ll need a rich Daddy to be a bank robber to pay him the wages he deserves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Day Soon
20-06-2018, 11:26 AM
We’ll need a rich Daddy to be a bank robber to pay him the wages he deserves

The whole issue needs to be confronted Headon.

MrSmith
20-06-2018, 11:27 AM
Maybe he aint gonna play Strummerville again??

Saint Hibee
20-06-2018, 11:28 AM
Maybe he’ll want to head to Qatar to rock the casbah.

Northernhibee
20-06-2018, 11:28 AM
The whole issue needs to be confronted Headon.

If he leaves mid game then we can look to our ginger striker and bring Simonon.

Chic Murray
20-06-2018, 11:32 AM
Can't deny the lad his Career Opportunities.

Roxyhibee
20-06-2018, 11:43 AM
Hopefully he can stay free from any outside interest.

xyz23jc
20-06-2018, 11:44 AM

Give em enough rope etc...…:duck::greengrin

Hibbyradge
20-06-2018, 11:47 AM

Indeed. With the money on offer in England he could use his first wage packet to buy a brand new Cadillac.

Springbank
20-06-2018, 11:48 AM
His agent is being difficult I hear, filling his head with moneytalk: "if you stay it could be trouble, and if you go it could be double"

Ronniekirk
20-06-2018, 11:48 AM
I'm Lost In The Supermarket so have no idea Hope he doesn't start pre Season but Train In Vain but am sure he is in Complete Control of the situation

badabing67
20-06-2018, 01:03 PM
Stummerville / Strummer reference ? explanation would be appreciated.

Northernhibee
20-06-2018, 01:12 PM
Stummerville / Strummer reference ? explanation would be appreciated.

Because if someone starts a useless, pointless or annoying thread like something that's already being discussed, is just "lol at Hearts", trying to find out what the score is in a game or finding out who is signing for Hibs in the transfer window it's the duty of everyone to bury the thread under their own bodyweight in puns

:hyper

BOB MARLEYS DUG
20-06-2018, 01:32 PM
Another thread ruined by dreadful puns 🙄

Northernhibee
20-06-2018, 01:33 PM

It was such a good thread to begin with too.

Ronniekirk
20-06-2018, 01:34 PM
Another thread ruined by dreadful puns [emoji849]

Some classic song titles in among them though

Hibbyradge
20-06-2018, 01:41 PM

:faf:

Hibs90
20-06-2018, 01:48 PM
Come in for a bit of chat about McGinn and get nothing but puns..:zzzzz!:

CropleyWasGod
20-06-2018, 01:49 PM
Thinking that we need a Hibs.net tutorial on the definition of "pun". :greengrin

Hibbyradge
20-06-2018, 01:50 PM
Come in for a bit of chat about McGinn and get nothing but puns..:zzzzz!:

What chat have you missed?

Northernhibee
20-06-2018, 01:51 PM

I met Bob Marley's dug once. I tried to let him off his leash but the clasp kept jammin'.

Hibs90
20-06-2018, 01:57 PM
What chat have you missed?

Well when you see a thread has a number of posts you assume there is chatting going on.

Northernhibee
20-06-2018, 01:59 PM
Well when you see a thread has a number of posts you assume there is chatting going on.

Nobody knows what McGinn is doing at this moment in time, just like the other transfer threads.

Sorted.

CropleyWasGod
20-06-2018, 02:12 PM
I met Bob Marley's dug once. I tried to let him off his leash but the clasp kept jammin'.

Did you have to stir it up?

(Not a pun).

KWJ
20-06-2018, 02:15 PM
I reckon we'll have him for the first 2 Europa league ties. Should we get through them both then the club have a decision to make as the English transfer deadline is 9th August.

Perhaps we'd see who our tie is against and if it's winnable then the fee goes up as having him as part of the team could potentially bring us in more cash.

Either way, I don't see us selling him cheaply.

The sad thing is if we do go out of Europe having kept him for the 3rd tie it drastically reduces the amount of potential suitors to erm Celtic. Unless McGinn fancied a trip abroad. He could also sign a deal to join an English club on 1st January.

Northernhibee
20-06-2018, 02:24 PM
Did you have to stir it up?

(Not a pun).

Yeah. Lighten up a bit.

Nothing in this thread that's not elsewhere.

CropleyWasGod
20-06-2018, 02:26 PM
Yeah. Lighten up a bit.

Whoosh?

Either that, or my knowledge of the Wailers isn't what i thought it was :greengrin

Northernhibee
20-06-2018, 02:29 PM
Whoosh?

Either that, or my knowledge of the Wailers isn't what i thought it was :greengrin

Whoooosh :D

CropleyWasGod
20-06-2018, 02:30 PM
Whoooosh :D

No problem.

No cry.

Hibbyradge
20-06-2018, 02:32 PM
Yeah. Lighten up a bit.

That's the point for me.

If there was any genuine information on a thread, folk would talk about that and puns wouldn't appear.

This particular thread, which has a title making it look like it does contain new information, but merely asks if there is any, is asking to be ridiculed, never mind "punified".

Its easy enough to find out about a subject that is getting debated to death on several Hibs.net threads as well as FB and Twitter.

However, I suspect that the OP intended us to go down the Clash route anyway.

snooky
20-06-2018, 02:34 PM
No problem.

No cry.

That's all Tosh.

Hibbyradge
20-06-2018, 02:35 PM
That's all Tosh.

There's going to be an exodus from this thread if you carry on like this.

CropleyWasGod
20-06-2018, 02:42 PM
That's the point for me.

If there was any genuine information on a thread, folk would talk about that and puns wouldn't appear.

This particular thread, which has a title making it look like it does contain new information, but merely asks if there is any, is asking to be ridiculed, never mind "punified".

Its easy enough to find out about a subject that is getting debated to death on several Hibs.net threads as well as FB and Twitter.

However, I suspect that the OP intended us to go down the Clash route anyway.

To be fair, NH was whooshed by my post.

He has redemption, though.

Hibbyradge
20-06-2018, 02:44 PM
To be fair, NH was whooshed by my post.

He has redemption, though.

Yeah, I was waiting in vain for him to reply in kind.

Northernhibee
20-06-2018, 02:46 PM
Yeah, I was waiting in vain for him to reply in kind.

Reported.

Hibbyradge
20-06-2018, 03:01 PM
Reported.

Oh no.

I'm praying for survival now.

Greenbeard
20-06-2018, 04:24 PM
There's going to be an exodus from this thread if you carry on like this.
Reggae, steady, Go tell it to the mountain

Eyrie
20-06-2018, 08:02 PM
Another thread ruined by dreadful puns ��

Can I join in before I find the anti-pun police on my back?

mca
20-06-2018, 08:15 PM
Can I join in before I find the anti-pun police on my back?

Naw.. we don't want no more trouble..

Is It On....
20-06-2018, 08:22 PM

You can go Straight to Hell 😉

CropleyWasGod
20-06-2018, 08:26 PM
Can I join in before I find the anti-pun police on my back?The police AND the thieves

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Is It On....
20-06-2018, 08:29 PM
Lennon will need to Clampdown on that.

No need to worry as I think he already has Complete Control

Eyrie
20-06-2018, 08:32 PM
The police AND the thieves

In that case I'd be better off staying in my safe European home.

CropleyWasGod
20-06-2018, 08:52 PM
Ok enough of the frivolity.

To answer the OP. My sources tell me that SJM will be a straight swap for Tommy Gunn.

Eyrie
20-06-2018, 08:56 PM
Ok enough of the frivolity.

To answer the OP. My sources tell me that SJM will be a straight swap for Tommy Gunn.

Is he related to the Guns of Brixton?

patch1875
20-06-2018, 08:57 PM
Whoever started these puns should go straight to hell.

Luna Landing
20-06-2018, 09:00 PM
Is he related to the Guns of Brixton?

No the Guns of Navarone :)

Hibbyradge
20-06-2018, 09:04 PM
Another good thread spoiled by puns.

Cut the crap.

CropleyWasGod
20-06-2018, 09:10 PM
Another rumour.

We're signing Skacel.

Can't wait to see him in a Hibs jersey.......cos...... I reckon...

Rudi can't fail.

ancient hibee
20-06-2018, 09:28 PM
Rudolph the Red Knows Rain Dear.

Eyrie
20-06-2018, 09:38 PM
Another rumour.

We're signing Skacel.

Rudi can't fail.

There will be a green and white riot if that happens.

CMurdoch
20-06-2018, 10:52 PM
Another rumour.

We're signing Skacel.

Rudi can't fail.

someone will blow him up with their "Remote Control"

1875godsgift
21-06-2018, 12:09 AM
There will be a green and white riot if that happens.

That's simply not true.

I've heard he's retired from football to become a plastic surgeon and rights your nose.

flash
21-06-2018, 06:11 AM
Delete this thread. (track 3 on greatest hits)

Ronniekirk
21-06-2018, 10:15 AM
Another rumour.

We're signing Skacel.

Rudi can't fail.

One of my favourite Clash tracks

Hibiza
21-06-2018, 10:19 AM

Brill :flag:

patch1875
21-06-2018, 11:45 AM

That’s a Topper

NAE NOOKIE
21-06-2018, 12:03 PM
Nothing will happen until clubs have finished scanning the world cup games for unearthed gems …. like Jao Pinto Rodrigues de Santo Costa Coffee, who plays for FC Viva the Revoluthion in Panama. Currently available for 50 pesos and a donkey in working condition, but whose one decent performance against England will ramp up his fee to £10,000,000 :greengrin

Eyrie
21-06-2018, 07:17 PM
If we want to unearth a gem, then we've just missed out on the Spaniard Julián Cerdá Vicente (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juli_(footballer)) as I've heard he doesn't want to give up his part time work in counter-narcotics. In other words, Juli's been working for the drug squad.

FilipinoHibs
22-06-2018, 08:59 AM
Seemingly we are taking the entire Hearts squad - Police and Thieves!

CropleyWasGod
22-06-2018, 09:29 AM
Seemingly we are taking the entire Hearts squad - Police and Thieves!Used already [emoji6]

ancient hibee
22-06-2018, 05:17 PM
One of us must know what’s going on.

Scott Allan Key
22-06-2018, 05:27 PM
That's all Tosh.

Neil Lennon says, ‘You’d better watch my sides.’

Seattle.Hibs
22-06-2018, 05:30 PM
Makes most sense for him to stay. Think if he wants to cement his place in the Scotland squad his best bet is staying. Hopefully sign a new contract with the intentions of selling him maybe the next again season. I think he will stay/

Thecat23
22-06-2018, 06:46 PM
I see Armstrong is discussing personal terms with Southampton after Celtic agree a fee for Armstrong. Will they go for McGinn if this deal goes through?

SouthMoroccoStu
22-06-2018, 06:49 PM
This is no criticism of SJM but I still can’t see his place in the Celtic team

John sees his place beyond Scottish football but Celtic won’t like that

truehibernian
22-06-2018, 06:55 PM
I see Armstrong is discussing personal terms with Southampton after Celtic agree a fee for Armstrong. Will they go for McGinn if this deal goes through?

Terrific move for Armstrong who on his day is one of the best players in Scotland TC - cracking player whose weakness is perhaps self belief. A very gifted footballer who can now push on and show it in the top league(s). I've seen him a few times recently near where I stay in Edinburgh and wondered if he actually stayed here ? We need more young players in the EPL and top leagues abroad.

SJM will be a Celtic player, I think it's been planned since January if honest.

Thecat23
22-06-2018, 06:59 PM
Terrific move for Armstrong who on his day is one of the best players in Scotland TC - cracking player whose weakness is perhaps self belief. A very gifted footballer who can now push on and show it in the top league(s). I've seen him a few times recently near where I stay in Edinburgh and wondered if he actually stayed here ? We need more young players in the EPL and top leagues abroad.

SJM will be a Celtic player, I think it's been planned since January if honest.

Yeah I agree, Armstrong on his day is fantastic to watch hope he does well if he goes.

Iggy Pope
22-06-2018, 07:10 PM
Losing MGeouch and McGinn with Mallan as replacement would be ****ing awful business and Hibs will know this by the response. Don't care who knew first amongst us really.

truehibernian
22-06-2018, 07:19 PM
Losing MGeouch and McGinn with Mallan as replacement would be ****ing awful business and Hibs will know this by the response. Don't care who knew first amongst us really.

I think realistically Iggy, Lennon has known he'll lose Dylan and SJM this window and the plans will have been in place since January to recruit suitable replacements. I'm between excited and anxious as to who we will replace them with, but not in a panic due to the lack of movement so far............I think it'll fall into place in the next 2 weeks :aok:

I think there will be a couple of real 'leftfield' signings, as well as Allan, Mallan and we'll try our best for McLaren

Billy Whizz
22-06-2018, 07:23 PM
I think realistically Iggy, Lennon has known he'll lose Dylan and SJM this window and the plans will have been in place since January to recruit suitable replacements. I'm between excited and anxious as to who we will replace them with, but not in a panic due to the lack of movement so far............I think it'll fall into place in the next 2 weeks :aok:

I think there will be a couple of real 'leftfield' signings, as well as Allan, Mallan and we'll try our best for McLaren

They’ll have to be TH. We can’t lose our best 2 midfielders, without replacing them, and Allan and Mallan aren’t replacements for them

southern hibby
22-06-2018, 07:30 PM
I think McGinn will be here this season if Celtic don’t go for him. I think he will allow his contract to go down and possibly sign a pre-season contract in 6 months time with Celtic.

I know folk on Hibs Net have said that SJM wants to go down south and possibly he does, but a mate of mine who knows a member of his family ( I’ve posted this already ) seems to think he is desperate ( irrespective of what he has been saying publically ) to join Celtic.

I have no idea if this is true or being a wind up from his family member but my mate swears blind this is what he is being told.

GGTTH

Iggy Pope
22-06-2018, 07:31 PM

I've been a realistic thinking Hibby for nearly 50 years and Hibs.net never changes that.. Heard a lot of this before. Season starts in less than 3 weeks. Stark reality is, those two out and the one in that you ITKers are blathering about with the appreciative audience on your coat tails equals abysmal business. Not that I'm blaming you or any of the others for sharing your 'knowledge'. I'm suggesting that Hibs have a lot of work to do in a short space Work that I'd hope they aren't sharing with any of you really. Been a while since I seen any ST sales updates.

Billy Whizz
22-06-2018, 07:39 PM
I've been a realistic thinking Hibby for nearly 50 years and Hibs.net never changes that.. Heard a lot of this before. Season starts in less than 3 weeks. Stark reality is, those two out and the one in that you ITKers are blathering about with the appreciative audience on your coat tails equals abysmal business. Not that I'm blaming you or any of the others for sharing your 'knowledge'. I'm suggesting that Hibs have a lot of work to do in a short space Work that I'd hope they aren't sharing with any of you really. Been a while since I seen any ST sales updates.

I agree does seem to be dragging, and if we’re all honest, a bit concerning
The team were back in for training this week, training for a Europa league game, with prestige and a lot of money at stake!!

At what stage do we become concerned about what’s happening, it’s got to be soon, if Hibs want a run in Europe and a good start to the season.

On another point, other teams who are back, are keeping their fans updated with photos of training etc. Maybe I’m mistaken, but I don’t think I’ve seen or read anything?

HibbyAndy
22-06-2018, 07:43 PM
I agree does seem to be dragging, and if we’re all honest, a bit concerning
The team were back in for training this week, training for a Europa league game, with prestige and a lot of money at stake!!

At what stage do we become concerned about what’s happening, it’s got to be soon, if Hibs want a run in Europe and a good start to the season.

On another point, other teams who are back, are keeping their fans updated with photos of training etc. Maybe I’m mistaken, but I don’t think I’ve seen or read anything?

With the biggest budget in our history i'm expecting some Quality signings through the door !

truehibernian
22-06-2018, 07:45 PM
They’ll have to be TH. We can’t lose our best 2 midfielders, without replacing them, and Allan and Mallan aren’t replacements for them

The think the one 'positive' or way to view things Billy is that when we signed SJM (to replace Scott Allan really) it was almost a 'who' or 'meh' (being honest) - he surpassed all expectations and was integral in moving us forward. Who's to say a young, hungry, enthusiastic Mallan wouldn't be the same (or someone else we have earmarked :greengrin).

Again, the huge positive is that we are in a healthy position footballing wise, with the support galvanised and all fully behind Neil Lennon and the players. It's not a rebuild to avoid the humdrum of bottom 6, it's an addition of quality to maintain top 4 and above - yes, we are losing two very influential players potentially, but I genuinely trust Lennon to identify good players to replace them. I get the fact people are worrying about Europe, and it's a lovely worry to have given we are in the cup...........but the bread and butter is the league and cups (domestically), and those are the competitions we must be ready for. I said in January, loads would hinge on SJM moving and to whom. I still think it will be Celtic and I still think we'll get two or maybe three players from them in return.

Meanwhile Riccarton looks like an NFL game with a roster of 50 unknown players :greengrin I know what position I'd rather be in right now in the pre-season. We'll be okay Billy :aok:

Iggy Pope
22-06-2018, 07:54 PM
The think the one 'positive' or way to view things Billy is that when we signed SJM (to replace Scott Allan really) it was almost a 'who' or 'meh' (being honest) - he surpassed all expectations and was integral in moving us forward. Who's to say a young, hungry, enthusiastic Mallan wouldn't be the same (or someone else we have earmarked :greengrin).

Again, the huge positive is that we are in a healthy position footballing wise, with the support galvanised and all fully behind Neil Lennon and the players. It's not a rebuild to avoid the humdrum of bottom 6, it's an addition of quality to maintain top 4 and above - yes, we are losing two very influential players potentially, but I genuinely trust Lennon to identify good players to replace them. I get the fact people are worrying about Europe, and it's a lovely worry to have given we are in the cup...........but the bread and butter is the league and cups (domestically), and those are the competitions we must be ready for. I said in January, loads would hinge on SJM moving and to whom. I still think it will be Celtic and I still think we'll get two or maybe three players from them in return.

Meanwhile Riccarton looks like an NFL game with a roster of 50 unknown players :greengrin I know what position I'd rather be in right now in the pre-season. We'll be okay Billy :aok:

A meek or embarrassing capitulation in Europe and we will be far from okay. Much as previous experience has proved. A good start to the season, any season, is vital. The club worked like bears to qualify for Europe and the support backed them. Lovely worry my bum.

mca
22-06-2018, 08:05 PM
With the biggest budget in our history i'm expecting some Quality signings through the door !

I Still think it was stupidity to Announce our Biggest Budget ever....

truehibernian
22-06-2018, 08:10 PM
A meek or embarrassing capitulation in Europe and we will be far from okay. Much as previous experience has proved. A good start to the season, any season, is vital. The club worked like bears to qualify for Europe and the support backed them. Lovely worry my bum.

First game in Europe is v a team from the Faroes and it's well over 3 weeks away.............I ain't worried or stressing as I think we will win it. It is a 'lovely worry' to have Iggy and yes, they worked hard for it. But if the squad as it is struggles v a team from the Faroes, then games a bogey as they say. The squad as it is should and will win both ties. Plenty time between now, then, and beyond to sign quality :aok: And for what it's worth I think we will have at least 2 signings prior to then.

Plus........young guys like Fraser Murray, OLI Shaw and Ryan Porteous (and Jamie Gullan) are very good players to have in these games too :aok: like your moniker bud (legend that he is), be 'optimistic socially' and not 'pessimistic personally' :wink::greengrin

bingo70
22-06-2018, 08:13 PM

We never really, that’s what the headline suggested but it was largely missed that Dempster was including the back room and sports science staff as well, I think she was just trying to highlight the football side is a big operation now and not just throwing money at a few players in the starting 11.

Would she even know or care what the budget was when we were signing Latapy, sauzee, Zitelli and co?

The Spaceman
22-06-2018, 08:13 PM

Going to stick my neck out here and say that if every one of our midfielders plays to their best ability, Allan is the pick of them.

SquashedFrogg
22-06-2018, 08:32 PM

Why?

It's not going to make any significant difference to our transfer dealings. If we had announced we have £100m extra then sure.

Lennon is ambitious, we're are ambitious, the club is ambitious.

I'd be more worried if we had signed 10 unknown players.

Greenworld
23-06-2018, 07:55 AM
I see Armstrong is discussing personal terms with Southampton after Celtic agree a fee for Armstrong. Will they go for McGinn if this deal goes through?Yes and hopefully that will be the catalyst for several moves completed to Hibs

Diclonius
23-06-2018, 09:35 AM
I suspect we'll keep McGinn until we secure replacements for both him and McGeouch (i.e. Malallan).

Greenworld
23-06-2018, 09:42 AM
I suspect we'll keep McGinn until we secure replacements for both him and McGeouch (i.e. Malallan).I see it the other way him moving generates the income required to secure players

Diclonius
23-06-2018, 09:55 AM
I see it the other way him moving generates the income required to secure players

Or we could budget against what we expect to receive from his sale, as Hearts seem to be doing with Lafferty.

jacomo
23-06-2018, 12:49 PM

We are not a stupid club.

Public statements are often about influencing private discussions.

A manager's post-match comments are made to the media but often directed at his players. Yet fans forget this.

When we made that statement we were negotiating with Kamberi. Maybe he wanted some reassurance about the club’s ambition?

It’s a bit silly to criticise when we only have half the story.

Hibbyradge
23-06-2018, 01:01 PM
We are not a stupid club.

Public statements are often about influencing private discussions.

A manager's post-match comments are made to the media but often directed at his players. Yet fans forget this.

When we made that statement we were negotiating with Kamberi. Maybe he wanted some reassurance about the club’s ambition?

It’s a bit silly to criticise when we only have half the story.

The club's statement about the budget was also made in response to the usual suspects calling for STF to put his hand in his pocket and for the board to back Neil Lennon's ambitions.

Lennon's remarks after the loss to Hearts stirred them up, iirc.

Tug Wilson
23-06-2018, 01:23 PM
I reckon that our best XI for most of the second half of the season was

Rocky **
-
Ambrose
McGregor
Hanlon
-
Boyle

McGinn
McGeouch *

Lewis
-
Allan *
-
Kamberi
McLaren *

** Injured
* Away

So Laidlaw in for Rocky

Whittaker or Bartley for Dylan
Slivka for Allan

Alternatively

Slivka for Dylan
Swanson for Allan

Upfront either Shaw or Murray for McLaren.

That should be good enough to get past the Faroe Islanders.

Eyrie
23-06-2018, 02:00 PM
I reckon that our best XI for most of the second half of the season was

Rocky **
-
Ambrose
McGregor
Hanlon
-
Boyle

McGinn
McGeouch *

Lewis
-
Allan *
-
Kamberi
McLaren *

** Injured
* Away

So Laidlaw in for Rocky

Whittaker or Bartley for Dylan
Slivka for Allan

Alternatively

Slivka for Dylan
Swanson for Allan

Upfront either Shaw or Murray for McLaren.

That should be good enough to get past the Faroe Islanders.

Will Boyle be ready for that game?

Tug Wilson
23-06-2018, 02:15 PM
Will Boyle be ready for that game?

No idea. Might have to put Sir David in at right wing back.

The blunt fact is that we currently have a decent enough team to win a one off tie but not a strong enough squad for the long season ahead.

Need 4 to 5 additional players.

Ronniekirk
23-06-2018, 04:04 PM
Or we could budget against what we expect to receive from his sale, as Hearts seem to be doing with Lafferty.

And St Mirren are doing knowing what a potential windfall they will get when McGinn moves on

jacomo
23-06-2018, 06:16 PM
The club's statement about the budget was also made in response to the usual suspects calling for STF to put his hand in his pocket and for the board to back Neil Lennon's ambitions.

Lennon's remarks after the loss to Hearts stirred them up, iirc.

Yes I am sure that played a part.

Jim44
24-06-2018, 12:01 PM
Simon Donnelly saying that he will be amazed if Celtic don’t go after McGinn to replace Armstrong. “I’ve said it for a while - I think he is a Celtic player.”

Big L
24-06-2018, 06:40 PM
Derby and Birmingham offer £3Mill. For McGinn. Celtic deal to far down the road, Alan Nixon.the Mirror.

Is It On....
25-06-2018, 12:54 PM
Derby and Birmingham offer £3Mill. For McGinn. Celtic deal to far down the road, Alan Nixon.the Mirror.

A few Scottish guys at Derby and, with the added attraction of working with Lampard, I would say they will be favourites. In terms of sell-on potential, I would also have thought that could also be the best for Hibs.

Stevie Reid
25-06-2018, 02:26 PM
A few Scottish guys at Derby and, with the added attraction of working with Lampard, I would say they will be favourites. In terms of sell-on potential, I would also have thought that could also be the best for Hibs.

If we're getting £3M for him, I'd be amazed if there's a sell on clause as well.

Wilson
25-06-2018, 02:43 PM
If we're getting £3M for him, I'd be amazed if there's a sell on clause as well.

At the prices players sell for down there we'd be daft not to include one. That is possibly why we are making noises about a valuation of £5m. Nobody will match that but it gives us scope to negotiate.

Stevie Reid
25-06-2018, 02:45 PM
At the prices players sell for down there we'd be daft not to include one. That is possibly why we are making noises about a valuation of £5m. Nobody will match that but it gives us scope to negotiate.

If it happens then great, but I'd imagine anyone paying as much as 3 mil will not want any sell on clauses included.

J-C
25-06-2018, 02:52 PM
Petrie will not allow him to go without a sell on clause.

Peevemor
25-06-2018, 02:56 PM
Petrie will not allow him to go without a sell on clause.

That depends what's on the table. If someone offers an extra £200k up front on condition that there's no sell on clause then he might take it.

Billy Whizz
25-06-2018, 02:56 PM
That depends what's on the table. If someone offers an extra £200k up front on condition that there's no sell on clause then he might take it.

Sell on clauses are now the norm in big transfers

ancient hibee
25-06-2018, 02:59 PM
If it happens then great, but I'd imagine anyone paying as much as 3 mil will not want any sell on clauses included.
Do you think Celtic don’t have a sell on clause in the Armstrong transfer?Southampton missed a trick there.They could have had McGinn for £3/4M who is every bit as good as Armstrong and not nearly as injury prone but there’s this fixation about all the best players being at Parkhead.

Stevie Reid
25-06-2018, 03:00 PM
I hope I'm wrong but I fail to see how we are in so strong a position that we could get at very high transfer fee and a sell on clause for a player who could sign for someone in six months for nothing.

Chic Murray
25-06-2018, 03:00 PM
Simon Donnelly saying that he will be amazed if Celtic don’t go after McGinn to replace Armstrong. “I’ve said it for a while - I think he is a Celtic player.”

I'm told Simon spends most days drinking in Airdrie, so him saying he "thinks" McGinn is a Celtic player, may just have been an answer in a pub quiz, and not a quote to a newspaper.

Stevie Reid
25-06-2018, 03:04 PM
Do you think Celtic don’t have a sell on clause in the Armstrong transfer?Southampton missed a trick there.They could have had McGinn for £3/4M who is every bit as good as Armstrong and not nearly as injury prone but there’s this fixation about all the best players being at Parkhead.

I've no idea if they do, but my point is that it's a device to lower an upfront fee. I'd have thought we'd have to accept much less than £3M to get one, but we'll see what happens.

ancient hibee
25-06-2018, 03:11 PM
I've no idea if they do, but my point is that it's a device to lower an upfront fee. I'd have thought we'd have to accept much less than £3M to get one, but we'll see what happens.
No doubt all will be revealed sooner rather than later(courtesy of cliche corner)perhaps.

Stevie Reid
25-06-2018, 03:12 PM
No doubt all will be revealed sooner rather than later(courtesy of cliche corner)perhaps.

Trouble is, it will all most likely be undisclosed (though I totally understand why)

ancient hibee
25-06-2018, 03:15 PM
Trouble is, it will all most likely be undisclosed (though I totally understand why)
Does that mean 20 pages of guesswork after the transfer:greengrin

Stevie Reid
25-06-2018, 03:20 PM
Does that mean 20 pages of guesswork after the transfer:greengrin

Haha, most definitely :greengrin

poolman
25-06-2018, 05:42 PM

Yea, leanne is really stupid :rolleyes:

Stuart93
25-06-2018, 05:47 PM
I hope I'm wrong but I fail to see how we are in so strong a position that we could get at very high transfer fee and a sell on clause for a player who could sign for someone in six months for nothing.

Celtic don't sign him now he has an unbelievable first half of the season and starts attracting interest from bigger/better teams than Celtic.

Maybe just want to make sure they get him now, fwiw think it's as good as done to be honest

Can only trust we get the best deal possible.

Stevie Reid
25-06-2018, 06:06 PM
Celtic don't sign him now he has an unbelievable first half of the season and starts attracting interest from bigger/better teams than Celtic.

Maybe just want to make sure they get him now, fwiw think it's as good as done to be honest

Can only trust we get the best deal possible.

I can see the appeal of getting him now, and I absolutely do trust Leeann and the board to get the best deal for us. I just think a big fee plus a sell seems incredibly optimistic.

That said, I didn't think we'd get near the figures that are being quoted for him in the press, so hopefully I'm miles off with my thoughts re: sell on.

bingo70
25-06-2018, 06:10 PM

A year in football is a lifetime.

Most managers probably won’t be in the same job next summer so they’re not able to wait until next year to get him on their books. The managers that will be there next summer can’t allow managers that are taking a short term approach to get all the players.

In this window someone having a year left on their deal is as good as them having 5 years left, if we don’t sell him this summer then it becomes a problem.

Stevie Reid
25-06-2018, 06:12 PM
A year in football is a lifetime.

Most managers probably won’t be in the same job next summer so they’re not able to wait until next year to get him on their books. The managers that will be there next summer can’t allow managers that are taking a short term approach to get all the players.

In this window someone having a year left on their deal is as good as them having 5 years left, if we don’t sell him this summer then it becomes a problem.

Apart from the first sentence, I'm not really following that.

bingo70
25-06-2018, 06:24 PM
Apart from the first sentence, I'm not really following that.

Managers are never further than about 5 or 6 games away from being under pressure, what good is it to them signing someone next summer they want now?

Stevie Reid
25-06-2018, 06:29 PM
Managers are never further than about 5 or 6 games away from being under pressure, what good is it to them signing someone next summer they want now?

It won't be a manager's decision how much a club pays for McGinn, not whether or not a sell on clause is added - they'll just tell the chairman/DOF how much they want him and the rest is out of their hands.

But anyway, I can understand why someone would want to sign him now, as opposed to having more of a fight in a few months time, that was never the issue. I just don't think that we're in as strong a position as yourself and others seem to think.

Again, I very much hope I'm wrong!

bingo70
25-06-2018, 06:35 PM
It won't be a manager's decision how much a club pays for McGinn, not whether or not a sell on clause is added - they'll just tell the chairman/DOF how much they want him and the rest is out of their hands.

But anyway, I can understand why someone would want to sign him now, as opposed to having more of a fight in a few months time, that was never the issue. I just don't think that we're in as strong a position as yourself and others seem to think.

Again, I very much hope I'm wrong!

But clubs will be competing with other clubs that don’t care how long he has left and that’s what will drive the transfer value.

Stuart Armstrong had a year left on his deal and went for £7m, if he had 2 years left how much more do you think he would have gone for?

Stevie Reid
25-06-2018, 06:44 PM
But clubs will be competing with other clubs that don’t care how long he has left and that’s what will drive the transfer value.

Stuart Armstrong had a year left on his deal and went for £7m, if he had 2 years left how much more do you think he would have gone for?

Probably about £10M, given what they are paying now.