PDA

View Full Version : Eminem

Stranraer
02-06-2018, 05:11 PM
Used to be a huge fan of Eminem - the first CD I ever bought was the Slim Shady LP but Revival really disappointed me, Em is capable of so much better. Any Slim fans on here?

Hibs Class
02-06-2018, 07:33 PM
Wouldn't call myself a fan but about a month ago i looked out the Marshall Mathers cd and have been playing it in the car near non stop. Feels as fresh as ever. Haven't been drawn to his most recent stuff, but this album was of its time and it hasn't lost anything over the years.

hibs#1
02-06-2018, 08:52 PM
I love Eminem.True his older stuff is better but he does still drop some bangers and he's still the greatest rapper ever.

calumhibee1
03-06-2018, 08:06 AM
The majority of his stuff is absolutely atrocious.

My_Wife_Camille
03-06-2018, 11:18 AM
There’s very little after The Marshall Mathers LP that’s worthlistening to imo

Pretty Boy
03-06-2018, 11:33 AM
In the words of Sick Boy:

'Well, at one time, you've got it, and then you lose it, and it's gone forever.'

Stranraer
03-06-2018, 12:18 PM
I love Eminem.True his older stuff is better but he does still drop some bangers and he's still the greatest rapper ever.

I place him 5th after Biggie, Tupac, Rakim and Nas.

patch1875
03-06-2018, 01:02 PM

In his prime he was excellent I would have him further down nearer 10th Chuck D and Mos Def amongst others above him.

Stranraer
03-06-2018, 01:14 PM
In his prime he was excellent I would have him further down nearer 10th Chuck D and Mos Def amongst others above him.

I see Billboard (I think it was) did a top 10 rappers list and had Lil Wayne in it as well as Kendrick Lamar. It caused a bit of uproar because Tupac wasn't included in the top 10.

The Modfather
03-06-2018, 01:41 PM

What number is John Barnes? 😀

hibs#1
03-06-2018, 01:50 PM

Its a very subjective thing to rank anything. I certainly wouldn't argue with your picks would be very similar to mine 👍. Eminem was the 1st rapper I heard when I was young so that's who started my love of rap music, that's why I'd personally have him at no1.

Haymaker
03-06-2018, 07:31 PM
What number is John Barnes? 😀

Mate, it's unfair to compare ANY rapper to John Barnes. He was just too good.

Onceinawhile
03-06-2018, 10:10 PM

Eminem struggles to make a top 5 of white rappers never mind rappers full stop.

Eminem is a fantastic rapper when he's annoyed (the way I am, mosh etc...) but beyond the Eminem show, he's become exactly the type of performer he eviscerated on his first three albums.

The way I am.

Fwiw top 5 is something along the lines of:

Guru
Rakim
Nas
Inspectah deck
Q-tip

(In no particular order)

patch1875
04-06-2018, 11:57 AM
Eminem struggles to make a top 5 of white rappers never mind rappers full stop.

Eminem is a fantastic rapper when he's annoyed (the way I am, mosh etc...) but beyond the Eminem show, he's become exactly the type of performer he eviscerated on his first three albums.

The way I am.

Fwiw top 5 is something along the lines of:

Guru
Rakim
Nas
Inspectah deck
Q-tip

(In no particular order)

Vanilla Ice obviously the top white rapper.

Pretty Boy
04-06-2018, 12:23 PM
Vinnie Paz is the best white rapper imo.

Onceinawhile
04-06-2018, 12:50 PM
Vinnie Paz is the best white rapper imo.

Can also make a claim for:

MCA
Ad-Rock
Mike D
El-p

In my opinion. I'm also really warming to Macklemore, but that's unlikely to be a popular opinion.

calumhibee1
04-06-2018, 01:02 PM

This is pretty much where I am with him. He has a couple of really good songs, but most of it is really really bad.

Geo_1875
04-06-2018, 01:32 PM
Eminem is more novelty than serious musician imo. I much prefer Erick Sermon, Redman, Busta Rhymes ahead of him.

bigwheel
04-06-2018, 01:42 PM
Eminem is more novelty than serious musician imo. I much prefer Erick Sermon, Redman, Busta Rhymes ahead of him.

there are many hip hop artists that you may like ahead of him - but care to explain why you see him as a "novelty" act...

Smartie
04-06-2018, 01:47 PM
It's funny how it is still fairly normal to separate rappers by race, talking about "white rappers" as if they are different.

I suppose it's to football's great credit that we wouldn't really have a conversation about who "the best black footballer" is any more. A footballer is a footballer.

The Beastie Boys were always number one for me, irrespective of race.

adhibs
04-06-2018, 02:55 PM

I listend to that last summer for the first time in probably around a decade. I used to love hip-hop, and im still an irregular listener, I thought that album was garbage going back to it though. Maybe im getting too soft as I get older, but I could see why his lyrics upon release got a lot of negative media attention. Would still rather listen to the Marshall mathers lp than tunes featuring ed sheeran mind you.

WeeRussell
04-06-2018, 03:35 PM
Oh well.. looks like I am on my own here.

I LOVE 'The Recovery' :greengrin

Wasn't until relapse that I properly started to appreciate Eminem but the Recovery is what I listen to most by him. Appreciate I'm different in that I never started liking his stuff until later and other guys will have grown up with his early material. It's also to do with the fact I much prefer his 'angry' voice to his 'silly' one if you know what I mean.

Great poet and some outstanding tunes.

calumhibee1
04-06-2018, 05:44 PM
The Notorious B.I.G. Now there’s a proper rapper.

Pretty Boy
04-06-2018, 06:43 PM
The Notorious B.I.G. Now there’s a proper rapper.

From a legacy point of view I think dying was about the best thing Biggie and Tupac could have done. I wonder if they would be revered in the way they are if they had lived long enough to go prancing about in Katy Perry videos or play caricatures of themselves in films.

For every Immortal Technique there's an Ice Cube or Snoop Dogg.

calumhibee1
04-06-2018, 06:46 PM
From a legacy point of view I think dying was about the best thing Biggie and Tupac could have done. I wonder if they would be revered in the way they are if they had lived long enough to go prancing about in Katy Perry videos or play caricatures of themselves in films.

I think Tupac is absolute rubbish. Biggie makes it seem effortless IMO.

Hibee87
04-06-2018, 06:48 PM
I listend to that last summer for the first time in probably around a decade. I used to love hip-hop, and im still an irregular listener, I thought that album was garbage going back to it though. Maybe im getting too soft as I get older, but I could see why his lyrics upon release got a lot of negative media attention. Would still rather listen to the Marshall mathers lp than tunes featuring ed sheeran mind you.

Thats funny you say that as i did the same roughly a year ago. Was listening to slim lp and marshal lp for a few days and although i enjoyed it, it wasnt the same from my younger days. some classics but by no means a cd i would have on repeat for any great deal of time.

I did however dig out the dr dre 2001album recently and that is still a classic imo.

calumhibee1
04-06-2018, 06:49 PM
Thats funny you say that as i did the same roughly a year ago. Was listening to slim lp and marshal lp for a few days and although i enjoyed it, it wasnt the same from my younger days. some classics but by no means a cd i would have on repeat for any great deal of time.

I did however dig out the dr dre 2001album recently and that is still a classic imo.

2001 is a very good album.

Onceinawhile
04-06-2018, 06:50 PM

Absolutely. Especially with those two. Let's face it, s ballerina and a rapper managed by puffy were never going to stay away from embarrassment for long.

It also stopped biggie from dropping more than 2 albums at which point the quality would have dropped. Unfortunately 2pac never got that luxury.

I think it's especially pertinent with those two being gangsta rappers and the other two you use as an example are the same, it looks daft when a 40 or 50 year old man talks about that nonsense. immortal technique and for example chuck d have always been more politically minded and as a result they could update without looking daft.

Northernhibee
04-06-2018, 07:04 PM

Out of those five, he's not even top ten.

Stranraer
05-06-2018, 07:51 AM
Out of those five, he's not even top ten.

Fair enough. I grew up listening to Em but he has just gone down the route of chasing the charts with Revival.

hibs#1
31-08-2018, 07:32 PM
Released a surprise album this morning. Got to say it's quite good on 1st listen a lot less pop music.

WeeRussell
01-09-2018, 07:19 AM
Released a surprise album this morning. Got to say it's quite good on 1st listen a lot less pop music.

I managed to listen to a couple of tunes while at work and wasn’t overly impressed, but I was only a couple! I may have just stumbled on ones that don’t do it for me (there’s usually at least a couple of them on any album by most artists)

Still haven’t managed to give the new arctics album a try either! I’ve heard mostly poor reports.

Sir David Gray
01-09-2018, 09:17 AM

I think his new album's his best since The Eminem Show.

Some really good tracks on it.

No collaborations with non-hip hop artists this time definitely helps.

Like it a lot.

Onceinawhile
01-09-2018, 01:45 PM
Thought the first song was good,second song had a good cypress hill shout out.

Then:

Young thug poster
Unplugged toaster....

I mean, really?

ChooseLife
01-09-2018, 02:20 PM
The album is incredible, the songs lucky You, Fall and the Ringer are the best stuff he's released since The Eminem Show.

hibs#1
01-09-2018, 04:54 PM

Then:

Young thug poster
Unplugged toaster....

I mean, really?

I'm sure that part is a pop at other artists "Migo's" i think rather than him thinking it was good lyrics.
Additionally Migos are honking.

Cabbage East
05-09-2018, 05:49 PM

Then:

Young thug poster
Unplugged toaster....

I mean, really?

You’ve missed the point there mate.