PDA

View Full Version : BT SCAM warning

Jim44
18-05-2018, 07:48 AM
Sorry for posting here, Admins, but I thought this might apply to quite a few members here.

I received an Email, apparently from BT, this morning. It informed me of forthcoming increases on my BT account and that if I did not go into my account, link given, to see and accept these changes, my account would be temporarily suspended. It also warned me that, before viewing and accepting them, I would have to supply up to date personal details :shocked::shocked::shocked: I opened my account on my usual link and it was quite normal with no references to that email, which looked quite genuine. I phoned BT about this and was told it was a scam and to forward it to the ‘phishing dept’. Just a warning to folk to be aware of this.

makaveli1875
18-05-2018, 07:59 AM
Sorry for posting here, Admins, but I thought this might apply to quite a few members here.

I received an Email, apparently from BT, this morning. It informed me of forthcoming increases on my BT account and that if I did not go into my account, link given, to see and accept these changes, my account would be temporarily suspended. It also warned me that, before viewing and accepting them, I would have to supply up to date personal details :shocked::shocked::shocked: I opened my account on my usual link and it was quite normal with no references to that email, which looked quite genuine. I phoned BT about this and was told it was a scam and to forward it to the ‘phishing dept’. Just a warning to folk to be aware of this.

iv had the same for Netflix , paypal and also a bogus HMRC telling me i had a tax rebate . 2 of them looked pretty convincing but the paypal 1 was full of spelling mistakes .

tamig
18-05-2018, 08:03 AM
There are loads of them out there. Just expand the senders details and you can usually see the spoof email address its been sent from.

Leithenhibby
18-05-2018, 08:09 AM
There are loads of them out there. Just expand the senders details and you can usually see the spoof email address its been sent from.

This :aok:

Weststandwanab
18-05-2018, 09:17 AM

For us older guys how do you expand the senders details ?

Thanks in advance.

Jim44
18-05-2018, 09:22 AM
For us older guys how do you expand the senders details ?

Thanks in advance.

At the top of the email click on the name after ‘From:’

TAHibby
18-05-2018, 09:35 AM
A lot of these emails especially PayPal ones are often terrible and quite clearly a scam, unfortunately these days there is a rise in more elaborate scams and more genuine looking emails.

I suppose in BT terms and conditions it will say they can increase charges whenever they want without needing you to agree so maybe you can identify a scam BT email that way!

Future17
18-05-2018, 09:39 AM
I think scammers are trying to take advantage of the deluge of GDPR emails on the go at the moment.

Jim44
18-05-2018, 09:40 AM
A lot of these emails especially PayPal ones are often terrible and quite clearly a scam, unfortunately these days there is a rise in more elaborate scams and more genuine looking emails.

I suppose in BT terms and conditions it will say they can increase charges whenever they want without needing you to agree so maybe you can identify a scam BT email that way!

This one looked quite genuine. One spelling/grammar mistake. - instead of ‘You may be asked to update details..... ‘ they wrote ‘ You maybe asked to update details .....’.

Forza Fred
18-05-2018, 10:13 AM
Must be a world wide thing....NSW police in Oz have posted warning about similar email scam in regard to Telstra accounts.

barcahibs
18-05-2018, 11:01 AM
I read somewhere that the spelling/grammar mistakes are often deliberate, they don't want to get replies from everyone - most folk will eventually realise it's a scam and that's just a waste of the scammers time.

They want to get folk who don't notice how badly made the original email is.

Thode are the people that are likely to be daft - or just careless - enough to eventually hand over money.

son of haggart
18-05-2018, 11:06 AM
I read somewhere that the spelling/grammar mistakes are often deliberate, they don't want to get replies from everyone - most folk will eventually realise it's a scam and that's just a waste of the scammers time.

They want to get folk who don't notice how badly made the original email is.

Thode are the people that are likely to be daft - or just careless - enough to eventually hand over money.

Thode are

Woops - just replied...:wink:

Waxy
18-05-2018, 11:11 AM

Never trust an email unless it has your name on it.

snooky
18-05-2018, 11:24 AM
iv had the same for Netflix , paypal and also a bogus HMRC telling me i had a tax rebate . 2 of them looked pretty convincing but the paypal 1 was full of spelling mistakes .

I've had a couple of these. Since I'm always owing HMRC money (and that's kosher), the rebate these scammers say I'm due exposes their little game straight away.
Scammers should be hung, drawn & quartered, until we find a less humane way of disposing them.