PDA

View Full Version : Hibs Rock

Dashing Bob S
16-05-2018, 01:58 AM
It’s brilliant being a Hibs fan. Poor Jambos - never to know this feeling.

Jack
16-05-2018, 07:00 AM
I thought Hibs had started selling rock, like Blackpool rock.

Gutted it's just another congratulatory thread and having a dig at the jambos although my dentist is delighted lol

ian cruise
16-05-2018, 07:03 AM

Gutted it's just another congratulatory thread and having a dig at the jambos although my dentist is delighted lol

Does BlackpoolHibs sell rock? I'll need to try find him at the next home game...

blackpoolhibs
16-05-2018, 07:04 AM
Does BlackpoolHibs sell rock? I'll need to try find him at the next home game...

Had a stall outside the east on Sunday, very popular with the ladies. :wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-05-2018, 07:34 AM

You can buy Hibs rock in Blackpool through!

SChibs
16-05-2018, 07:41 AM

I've got a bit in my house from Blackpool. I don't even like rock but it had hibs on it so I bought it

G B Young
16-05-2018, 09:08 AM

There used to be a sweet shop at the top of Easter Road that sold Hibs rock. Green coated with the word 'Hibs' running through the white bit in the middle. There was another one in the Old Town, Blackfriars Street I think, which also sold it. I don't imagine either shop still exists as most folk have probably stopped buying boiled sweets out of jars (a quarter pound of sherbet lemons was a favourite order of mine).

The Harp
16-05-2018, 09:26 AM
There used to be a sweet shop at the top of Easter Road that sold Hibs rock. Green coated with the word 'Hibs' running through the white bit in the middle. There was another one in the Old Town, Blackfriars Street I think, which also sold it. I don't imagine either shop still exists as most folk have probably stopped buying boiled sweets out of jars (a quarter pound of sherbet lemons was a favourite order of mine).

Ah that takes me back. Casey's was the shop, with a branch on the corner at the top of Easter Road, as you say. The bigger shop was on St. Mary's Street. Casey's survived for years but has been gone for a while now.

G B Young
16-05-2018, 09:51 AM
Ah that takes me back. Casey's was the shop, with a branch on the corner at the top of Easter Road, as you say. The bigger shop was on St. Mary's Street. Casey's survived for years but has been gone for a while now.

Yes, St Mary's Street, of course. I remember wondering whether there was a link between the club and sweet shop founders given that Hibs began life in that street and that their other shop was near Easter Road.

Joe6-2
16-05-2018, 10:52 AM

Yeah, I’ve had it!

Just Alf
16-05-2018, 11:22 AM
Had a stall outside the east on Sunday, very popular with the ladies. :wink:R o c k!!!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

jacomo
16-05-2018, 12:38 PM
Hearts looked at selling their own rock but it got vetoed from above as it plays havoc with dentures.

hibby6270
16-05-2018, 01:10 PM

Them were the days, although a quarter of kola kubes was my favourite!! :wink::agree::greengrin

Geo_1875
16-05-2018, 01:32 PM
Them were the days, although a quarter of kola kubes was my favourite!! :wink::agree::greengrin

Preferred pineapple cubes myself. Toffee Doddles were my favourite.

Iggy Pope
16-05-2018, 01:41 PM
Yes, St Mary's Street, of course. I remember wondering whether there was a link between the club and sweet shop founders given that Hibs began life in that street and that their other shop was near Easter Road.

It's got at least one link for me as the scent from the shop in St Mary's Street had me slavering all the way to school and back every day. Lovely old shop front although I think it's a graphics company or something in there now.
I think Casey is a name that has Irish in it so maybe.
There's still a lot round there that can be traced back to Little Ireland. From Paddy Cavanaghs brass street plates to an old sign above a window at the bottom end reading Sheerin Post Office.
It can be a fascinating part of our town for a Hibby to be in.

The Harp
16-05-2018, 02:20 PM
It's got at least one link for me as the scent from the shop in St Mary's Street had me slavering all the way to school and back every day. Lovely old shop front although I think it's a graphics company or something in there now.
I think Casey is a name that has Irish in it so maybe.
There's still a lot round there that can be traced back to Little Ireland. From Paddy Cavanaghs brass street plates to an old sign above a window at the bottom end reading Sheerin Post Office.
It can be a fascinating part of our town for a Hibby to be in..

Exactly so IP, the whole area around the Cowgate and the streets off it are steeped in Hibs history, still feel it whenever I'm down there.
Not only Casey's (now sadly gone) but also Marins, the traditional Catholic undertakers and of course St Mary's Street Halls where it all began. Can remember buying my very first Hibs scarf on St Mary's St in the early 50s.
Up until recently there was one of Paddy Callaghan's markers on Pittville Street and another near the original old Porty High School. Do you know of any more that have survived?

snooky
16-05-2018, 02:57 PM

Must do. He's Hibernian through and through. :wink: