PDA

View Full Version : Si Ferry meets Garry O'Connor

Santa Cruz
30-04-2018, 04:53 PM
Si's latest weekly interview is on You Tube now. Quite enjoy these interviews. I'm just about to watch this one.

Mango Man
30-04-2018, 06:13 PM
Si Ferry done a decent interview with the big man, some interesting comments regarding the 2012 cup final.

http://www.open-goal.co.uk/siferrymeetsgarryoconnor/

Halmyre Hibee
30-04-2018, 06:41 PM
I've watched all of the Open Goal videos.

Just going to watch this now,

Peevemor
30-04-2018, 06:46 PM
I just watched the whole thing. I wasn't that impressed with GO'C to be honest. As others have said he does seem to have a very selective memory.

yonder1875
30-04-2018, 06:52 PM
Just watched it too and really enjoyed it, thought Gaz came across well and got a good few laughs out of it.

Him not remembering his Lokomotiv managers name made me laugh.

Mango Man
30-04-2018, 06:59 PM
Thought his comments regarding the final were quite interesting, the team really was in proper disarray at the point, fighting relegation, tactics getting changed on the day of the game, rubbish bonuses for winning the cup, far too many loan players, shambles.

Baldy Foghorn
30-04-2018, 07:02 PM
Wasn't he caught on camera carrying on in background as a player was being interviewed after Final? Then went up town to drink and do his thing. Selective memory indeed

WoreTheGreen
30-04-2018, 07:06 PM
Wasn't he caught on camera carrying on in background as a player was being interviewed after Final? Then went up town to drink and do his thing. Selective memory indeed

Yeah came down the stairs and ruffled Murrays ? Hair during the interview at that piont he finished for me.

sleeping giant
30-04-2018, 07:14 PM
Brilliant interview .

"The Hibs fans love me ":hibees

Baldy Foghorn
30-04-2018, 07:23 PM
Brilliant interview .

I don't :greengrin

Nakedmanoncrack
30-04-2018, 07:36 PM
Brilliant interview .

Some choice language, but interesting interview.

calumhibee1
30-04-2018, 07:41 PM

Aye, became a bit hard to listen to with him using ****ing as a filler word non stop while he was thinking. Hopefully he is genuinely sober like he says he is and is getting himself back on track. His academy sounds like it's got good intentions behind it so would be nice to see it work out.

RossScott1991
30-04-2018, 07:55 PM
Some hilarious stories. The one about boozy drinking vodka , can tell they were a young team! Haha

Bostonhibby
30-04-2018, 07:58 PM
I don't :greengrin

I did once, then I didn't then I did for a while then it all ended badly. ☺

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

SideBurns
30-04-2018, 08:06 PM
Aye, became a bit hard to listen to with him using ****ing as a filler word non stop while he was thinking. Hopefully he is genuinely sober like he says he is and is getting himself back on track. His academy sounds like it's got good intentions behind it so would be nice to see it work out.

For those interested in helping his Academy out a wee bit, see my 'Hibs legends game, 26/5/18, Spartans Academy' thread further down this page (be the first to view it 😁).

IGRIGI
30-04-2018, 08:14 PM
Glad to hear him, Sparky and Ihun (:greengrin ) got stuck into jokers like Kennedy after that final.

1van Sprou7e
30-04-2018, 08:16 PM
Glad to hear him, Sparky and Ihun (:greengrin ) got stuck into jokers like Kennedy after that final.

Kennedy was a Stubbs player

Maybe you're thinking Docherty?

IGRIGI
30-04-2018, 08:20 PM
Kennedy was a Stubbs player

Maybe you're thinking Docherty?

That's the cu...man.

Santa Cruz
30-04-2018, 08:30 PM
I just watched the whole thing. I wasn't that impressed with GO'C to be honest. As others have said he does seem to have a very selective memory.

Likewise. I've watched all the Open Goal episodes and it's not unusual to hear some swearing, but GO'C was toiling to complete a sentence without f'ing and c'ing. Not that great an advert for his Second Chance Academy. Waiting patiently in hope on the Stokesy interview!

truehibernian
30-04-2018, 08:50 PM

:agree: laughing, joking and signing autographs before being asked to leave a certain bar in Hanover Street about an hour after getting back to Edinburgh. Also a sign of the times players arguing about bonus payments before the biggest game of the season is played - showed you where their collective mindset was. And what was this 'That boy from Honduras' nonsense :rolleyes:

GOC and Derek in their prime were a joy to watch. That interview however made me very sad at how someone could let it all go to waste.

Sammy7nil
30-04-2018, 08:50 PM

******g top ******g man ******g good interview :greengrin Yogi boot polish story is a cracker.
Just gotta feel for Gary if he had better advice or more will power he would have been made for life.

IGRIGI
30-04-2018, 08:51 PM
Astonishing that he could've peeved away all that money he made, 20k a week tax free, jeezo...

Squirrel 1875
30-04-2018, 08:57 PM
Clearly loves the club. I think people forget O'Connor threw his runners up medal away after receiving it, he was clearly hurting and I'd believe that he went mad in the dressing room. Achieved a lot for this club!

On the other hand, did he admit to some dodgy stuff in Russia involving blood transfusions during that interview???

snooky
30-04-2018, 09:00 PM
Watched it. Can't say I enjoyed it though mainly due to the bad language. Most of us can use it however, it never comes over well when talking to the public whether on TV or through a microphone.
Having said that, I like Gaz. I used to think he was just a big daft laddie (and I mean that in the nice way). I still think he's a big daft laddie (and I mean that in the nice way). Not sure I would take every single thing he said as gospel though.

Baldy Foghorn
30-04-2018, 09:02 PM
:agree: laughing, joking and signing autographs before being asked to leave a certain bar in Hanover Street about an hour after getting back to Edinburgh. Also a sign of the times players arguing about bonus payments before the biggest game of the season is played - showed you where their collective mindset was. And what was this 'That boy from Honduras' nonsense :rolleyes:

GOC and Derek in their prime were a joy to watch. That interview however made me very sad at how someone could let it all go to waste.

I never listened to be honest, don't have any time for him.

snooky
30-04-2018, 09:04 PM
Clearly loves the club. I think people forget O'Connor threw his runners up medal away after receiving it, he was clearly hurting and I'd believe that he went mad in the dressing room. Achieved a lot for this club!

On the other hand, did he admit to some dodgy stuff in Russia involving blood transfusions during that interview???

Yes, I think he said it was to cleanse their blood. :whistle:

:3wise smi

Sammy7nil
30-04-2018, 09:07 PM

[B]On the other hand, did he admit to some dodgy stuff in Russia involving blood transfusions during that interview???

Yip that was very Lance Armstrong :greengrin

S4uzee
30-04-2018, 09:07 PM
Don’t mind O’Connor but feel he’s the type of player to come across well after the event has happened zzzzzz

IGRIGI
30-04-2018, 09:14 PM
Triggered over bad language 😂

MWHIBBIES
30-04-2018, 09:19 PM
Docherty was out of line after the final but always gave his all on the park imo. Same can't be said for O'Connor imo, desperately unfit and missing for months in his 2nd spell. I certainly don't love him.

snooky
30-04-2018, 09:22 PM
Triggered over bad language 😂

Are you telling me now Roy Rogers swore at his horse?

:kbacker:

KWJ
30-04-2018, 09:22 PM
Not finished watching it yet but could he not be in a bit of bother for the comments about the blood work in Russia and for saying football's corrupt and that his signing for Birmingham was?

He's a daft laddie who likes to talk about money and generally brag a fair bit yet I think he is a genuinely good bloke. And thanks for the goals and generally all he done for Hibs.

sleeping giant
30-04-2018, 09:26 PM
Not finished watching it yet but could he not be in a bit of bother of the comments about the blood work in Russia and for suggesting football's corrupt and suggesting his signing for Birmingham was?

He's a daft laddie who likes to talk about money and generally brag a fair bit yet I think he is a genuinely good bloke. And thanks for the goals and generally all he done for Hibs.

:agree:

I had no idea football teams done that with blood.

I think he's a decent guy. Just made a few mistakes along the way.
Scored the winner against the hearts too.

Thought it was funny when he said he could write a book and the interviewer said he would need big pictures so Deek could read it :greengrin

He lived the dream.

Squirrel 1875
30-04-2018, 09:54 PM
Docherty was out of line after the final but always gave his all on the park imo. Same can't be said for O'Connor imo, desperately unfit and missing for months in his 2nd spell. I certainly don't love him.

Ehhh his goals kept us up that season. Welcome back at easter Road anytime.

MWHIBBIES
30-04-2018, 09:57 PM
Ehhh his goals kept us up that season. Welcome back at easter Road anytime.

Or we would've been nowhere near relegation had he bothered all season? I loved him first spell but he let himself down big time 2nd time round imo. Lennon would never entertain that rubbish.

Iceman1875
30-04-2018, 10:06 PM
Having followed all of the golden generations careers closely, I can honestly say, unless I missed it or it was never aired but GOC Wanted by Arsenal?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carheenlea
30-04-2018, 10:11 PM
A likeable fellow - can only wish him well for the future.

Carheenlea
30-04-2018, 10:13 PM
Having followed all of the golden generations careers closely, I can honestly say, unless I missed it or it was never aired but GOC Wanted by Arsenal?!

It’s been suggested here and elsewhere that it’s best to take some his statements with a pinch of salt!

CraigHibee
30-04-2018, 10:16 PM
Great interview, open and honest

basehibby
30-04-2018, 10:51 PM
Great interview from this Si guy and I'll watch more of them - Garry O opens up and comes across as he genuinely is - a big dafty with a great big heart. I'm happy to see he's cleaned up his act and is turning his energies to helping others - good on Garry O and all the best with it all! I'll put the legends game down in my diary.

One thing that comes across big style - Garry's love for the Hibs is real and his pride in playing for them transcends all the other stuff - great watch :thumbsup:

Viva_Palmeiras
30-04-2018, 10:52 PM
So fastforward or rewind - match the golden generation to Leanns stewardship - does she keep them together do they win the League and then do we die happy taking the League Flag?

Unseen work
30-04-2018, 10:57 PM
Enjoyed the interview but think he never opened up as much because of his book.

I am disgusted to find out that players were discussing the bonus of the cup final and angry about it before the game. Thinking 5-7k isn’t enough and expected 20k each?! That is ridiculous money.

Their job, which they get paid very well to do is to win games. That team were not very good at doing that but somehow got to a final and all of a sudden start wanting obscene amounts of money.

A game that they got battered in.

SeanWilson
30-04-2018, 10:57 PM
The whole thing reeks of trying to impress a wee laddie. GOC would still be the same billy big baws f@nny had he not f'd it up for himself.

hibbysam
30-04-2018, 11:01 PM
Good to see Donald Park get the credit his work with the golden generation deserves. So much emphasis on John Park, but the real man behind the success was DP.

Dunbar Hibee
30-04-2018, 11:08 PM
I enjoy the interviews, and nothing against Garry, but **** me he talks some nonsense. Worth noting as well that only last week he was praising Hearts and their youth system, saying that hibs should take a leaf from their book. Not the full shilling, is our Garry.

lord bunberry
01-05-2018, 12:53 AM
What I found strange was that the interview seemed to be conducted in a nursing home.

TelaStella
01-05-2018, 01:52 AM
Ever since Open Goal first got underway every week I’ve watched the latest interview however apart from McFadden I can’t think of any other non old firm guests featured as of yet so was particularly more excited for this one than I have been previously!

I’ve got time for O’Connor. Last year my Dad wasn’t in a good state medically and Gary who heard about his case through Facebook came and paid him a surprise visit in hospital and chatted all things Hibs for a good couple of hours, great touch. I’ve always thought he had a big influence not only on that generation/team’s success but also for deeks’ game as well, what a pair they were on their day. The only time I felt slightly disappointed was whenever money or wages were discussed in the interview with it seeming GOC never felt fully valued shall we say in his two spells with us but let’s face it money will be an issue with nearly every pro player these days. Found his comments about the final very interesting and a good insight and would of liked to have known more about what was exactly said in the dressing room after, perhaps more details will follow in his book.

The guy has made his mistakes but his pride in talking about playing for the famous are admirable and I’ll always respect any fellow fan who gets to live the dream. Glad to see he’s finally getting on the right track and doing well with his coaching school. He mentions that he’s got a legends game on the 26th this month at Spartans- Ivan, Pat Stanton and Ian Murray all featuring and I’ll be sure to attend with all gate money going to charities. Looking forward to the book Gaz and wish him all the best[emoji1303].

sadtom
01-05-2018, 02:59 AM
I just find a lot of that a bit depressing to be honest.
For a laddie that said he wasnt motivated by money all he seemed to do was talk about money.
Appeared to have far better recollection of the particulars regarding his earnings, wages, bonuses etc, than his on-field achievements.

dirtydirk
01-05-2018, 05:27 AM
What I found strange was that the interview seemed to be conducted in a nursing home.

It was the marine hotel in north berwick - we stayed there and actually said it was like a nursing home 😂

Elephant Stone
01-05-2018, 05:58 AM
Imagine moaning about the proposed bonus for a final you lost 5-1, what a nerve.

calumhibee1
01-05-2018, 07:02 AM
Not finished watching it yet but could he not be in a bit of bother for the comments about the blood work in Russia and for saying football's corrupt and that his signing for Birmingham was?

I thought that about the blood at the time. That’s doping surely?

bigwheel
01-05-2018, 07:03 AM
The whole thing reeks of trying to impress a wee laddie. GOC would still be the same billy big baws f@nny had he not f'd it up for himself.

I think that is very harsh..He knows it is himself that messed it up....came over to me as a guy who has learned a lot of lessons the hard way...doesn't mean it will be a straight road for him, as we are all human - wish him all the best - feels like he is trying to do some good...

Nutmegged
01-05-2018, 07:57 AM
Or we would've been nowhere near relegation had he bothered all season? I loved him first spell but he let himself down big time 2nd time round imo. Lennon would never entertain that rubbish.

Very harsh, we were rotten that year, garbage in fact but he still managed to score 16 goals, he was the biggest factor in helping us avoid relegation and also scored in the Scottish Cup semi final win over Aberdeen, he was a bit heavier by that time but he wasn't the root of our problems that you seem to suggest he was

Northernhibee
01-05-2018, 08:03 AM
Very harsh, we were rotten that year, garbage in fact but he still managed to score 16 goals, he was the biggest factor in helping us avoid relegation and also scored in the Scottish Cup semi final win over Aberdeen, he was a bit heavier by that time but he wasn't the root of our problems that you seem to suggest he was
There were a good two months or so when he was on the bench and a liability that season iirc.

.Sean.
01-05-2018, 08:30 AM
I thought that about the blood at the time. That’s doping surely?
Excuse my ignorance but what was the deal here when he mentioned cleaning his blood? I didn’t get it.

TelaStella
01-05-2018, 08:35 AM
Excuse my ignorance but what was the deal here when he mentioned cleaning his blood? I didn’t get it.

He claims that prior to a match the club medical team would take blood from players, clean/filter it and inject it back in for the game... all very odd

SirDavidsNapper
01-05-2018, 08:39 AM
Interesting to hear he felt that group would have won the league. They were "my" Hibs team, i was going every week, was the same age as most of them and it was an exciting period of my life. Im biassed towards them but they wouldn't have won the league. They were consistently inconsistent and Rangers were at the height of their cheating and Celtic were strong. Loads of affection for that team but if im honest the current Hibs team are better.

neil7908
01-05-2018, 08:43 AM
I have a lot of time for Gary, particularly for his first spell at the club.

If anything this interview is a great marker for how far we've come and the high standards set by Lennon.

superfurryhibby
01-05-2018, 08:44 AM
Interesting to hear he felt that group would have won the league. They were "my" Hibs team, i was going every week, was the same age as most of them and it was an exciting period of my life. Im biassed towards them but they wouldn't have won the league. They were consistently inconsistent and Rangers were at the height of their cheating and Celtic were strong. Loads of affection for that team but if im honest the current Hibs team are better.

Your’e right. The current side has a better blend of youth and experience and a stronger winning mentality.

Nutmegged
01-05-2018, 08:44 AM
There were a good two months or so when he was on the bench and a liability that season iirc.

I remember Fenlon dropped him for 4 put of 5 League games around Feb/March time, the four games he was dropped we only won 1 point and didn't even score a goal, brought him back in up in Inverness and he scored and we won 3-2 and went on a wee run to end the season with 4 goals in 7 games before that final

Centre Hawf
01-05-2018, 10:39 AM
The thing I took away from it, if what Garry says is true that is, was that how many times since Bobby Williamsons time we've had a few spells of financial trouble. Tony Mowbray was forced to sell, Colin Calderwood had no money either apparently also. Just seems night and day to where we are now, I always had just assumed we would have been at least in the top 4 or 5 spending clubs it sounds like we may have been even lower than that.

BroxburnHibee
01-05-2018, 10:48 AM
He claims that prior to a match the club medical team would take blood from players, clean/filter it and inject it back in for the game... all very odd

Yeah which is exactly what Lance Armstrong and the rest of his team where eventually caught doing.

If he's basically saying that's going on in Russia he might well find himself in bother for it.

I also think his comment about football being corrupt was strange too although I'm not surprised to hear it.

California-Hibs
01-05-2018, 10:52 AM
He said he was on 750 a week at Hibs and there was players on less. Surely not??

calumhibee1
01-05-2018, 10:53 AM

I’m not sure what he was meaning, he maybe just didn’t explain it well, but it sounded awful like blood doping. Basically they remove blood, your body reproduces it and then they inject the blood they removed back in to boost your red blood cell count allowing you to pretty much become fitter due to an increased ability to get oxygen around your body. Lance Armstrong got banned for life for it and it’s 100% illegal.

Johnny_Leith
01-05-2018, 11:03 AM
Listened last night. Unfortunately, Garry has the tendancy to blur the lines between fact and fiction so it's hard to know what actually happened.

Centre Hawf
01-05-2018, 11:16 AM
Yeah which is exactly what Lance Armstrong and the rest of his team where eventually caught doing.

If he's basically saying that's going on in Russia he might well find himself in bother for it.

I also think his comment about football being corrupt was strange too although I'm not surprised to hear it.

If you have Netflix you should watch the documentary called Icarus that is basically about the Russian doping regime in the Olympics and Winter Olympics for decades. Would not surprise me if this happened to O'Connor.

snooky
01-05-2018, 11:17 AM
I’m not sure what he was meaning, he maybe just didn’t explain it well, but it sounded awful like blood doping. Basically they remove blood, your body reproduces it and then they inject the blood they removed back in to boost your red blood cell count allowing you to pretty much become fitter due to an increased ability to get oxygen around your body. Lance Armstrong got banned for life for it and it’s 100% illegal.

There's always been the suspicion that the Finnish long distance runner Lasse Viren used this method when he won his Olympic gold medals in the 70's. Despite producing average times in other events, he always found that wee bit extra when performing on the big stage.

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=1124109

BroxburnHibee
01-05-2018, 11:19 AM
If you have Netflix you should watch the documentary called Icarus that is basically about the Russian doping regime in the Olympics and Winter Olympics for decades. Would not surprise me if this happened to O'Connor.

Thanks I will watch it.

If you like reading then I recommend 'The Secret Race' by Todd Hamilton. One of the US Postal Service team, he outed Armstrong long before Armstrong eventually admitted any wrongdoing.

WestStandWillie
01-05-2018, 11:20 AM
Blood cleaning, large amounts of money going into his account daily. Sounds awfy dodgy tae me.

The stuff about the cup final saddens me. Tension over bonus payments. What a mess we were back then - thankfully we've turned a corner

snooky
01-05-2018, 11:21 AM

Yes pretty heavy stuff however, if he gets challenged in Court I'm sure he could bring in witnesses to confirm he's just a hellava blether :wink:

calumhibee1
01-05-2018, 11:22 AM
Blood cleaning, large amounts of money going into his account daily. Sounds awfy dodgy tae me.

The stuff about the cup final saddens me. Tension over bonus payments. What a mess we were back then - thankfully we've turned a corner

That has to be made up about the money in his account. Sometimes more than your weekly wage going in every day? Aye ok Garry.

Nakedmanoncrack
01-05-2018, 01:50 PM

Certainly wouldn't have won the league, they were an exciting team but there were weaknesses, you don't mention Hearts either - they were spending a lot of money in those years.

SirDavidsNapper
01-05-2018, 02:04 PM
Certainly wouldn't have won the league, they were an exciting team but there were weaknesses, you don't mention Hearts either - they were spending a lot of money in those years.

True

Alex Trager
01-05-2018, 02:13 PM

Were they? How did that work out?

Nakedmanoncrack
01-05-2018, 02:20 PM
Were they? How did that work out?

Not too badly really, unfortunately.

calumhibee1
01-05-2018, 02:39 PM

Yup, there's not a chance that Hibs team would have won the league. They'd have been lucky to have got any higher than 3rd if we're being honest.

silverhibee
01-05-2018, 02:49 PM
That has to be made up about the money in his account. Sometimes more than your weekly wage going in every day? Aye ok Garry.

The Ferrari was a present seemingly.

Barman Stanton
01-05-2018, 03:02 PM
Yup, there's not a chance that Hibs team would have won the league. They'd have been lucky to have got any higher than 3rd if we're being honest.

Don't really agree with that. We were only a Keeper and a Centre Half away from challenging for the league in my opinion. We had top full backs in Whittaker and Murphy, a leader in Jones, a midfield with the likes of Brown, Thomson, Beuzelin, Zemmama and forwards like Riordan, O'Connor, Fletcher and Benji.

This is during a couple year period obviously. But keep these players together and your challenging for the league imo.

TelaStella
01-05-2018, 03:17 PM

Funny thing is we talk about the amount of draws we’ve had this season on top of Hamilton and huns at home, sheep away etc and think about just how further we could have went this season yet thinking back how many bloody games should we have won back then without actually doing so? Especially the season we finished 3rd with Mowbray, could have easily split two decent old firm teams that year and same goes for the following season despite mad vlad’s yams running away with most of the limelight. Losing O’Connor and Deeks was the start of the end and by the time brown and Thomson had moved on it was all but over for me.

calumhibee1
01-05-2018, 04:07 PM
Don't really agree with that. We were only a Keeper and a Centre Half away from challenging for the league in my opinion. We had top full backs in Whittaker and Murphy, a leader in Jones, a midfield with the likes of Brown, Thomson, Beuzelin, Zemmama and forwards like Riordan, O'Connor, Fletcher and Benji.

This is during a couple year period obviously. But keep these players together and your challenging for the league imo.

I’d look at it another way - how many of them would have got into the Rangers and Celtic teams and how many of their players would have got into ours? I can’t remember much about individual players that were at Celtic and Rangers at that point but I’d hazard a guess we’d have been able to offer them 2 or 3 starters each while they’d have probably offered us 6 or 7.

John Hartson
Alan Thompson
Stiliyan Petrov
Chris Sutton
David Marshall
Neil Lennon
Bobo Balde
Aiden McGeady

Were all at Celtic during Mowbrays time at Hibs and would have started for us had they been at Hibs.

Rickson
Ferguson
Lovenkrands
Hutton
Klos
Prso
Buffell

Among others no doubt would all have got into our team from Rangers.

The Baldmans Comb
01-05-2018, 05:23 PM
Thanks I will watch it.

If you like reading then I recommend 'The Secret Race' by Todd Hamilton. One of the US Postal Service team, he outed Armstrong long before Armstrong eventually admitted any wrongdoing.

Lots of similar stuff around on Mo Farah (missing tests and his coach in particular)Wiggo Wiggins (more mysterious packages) and Paula Radcliffe (Blood EPO levels).j

Mark Daly of the BBC who broke the EBT stuff on the old Rangers prior to their liquidation and similar investigive journalists have been probing around this area for years.

Tom English as well though he scouted around the Spanish national football team and all the historical samples being conveniently destroyed as checking began to catch up with science.

Fortunately noone will give a flip about Big Gaz.

Purple & Green
01-05-2018, 07:02 PM

Seb Coe ran times that no other European has come close to since in 37 years, and missed large parts of seasons due to toxoplasmosis - which can be linked to blood transfusions. Just saying likes.

johnbc70
01-05-2018, 07:27 PM
I am about half way through and will watch the rest later. What I can't really understand, although plenty have done it like him and plenty more will, is how can you spend all that money. He was saying he was getting £30,000 in his account one day and then £10,000 the next etc. Then he says he gets £300,000 a year in image rights in Russia.

To then go on and say he got paid more at Birmingham then makes you wonder what on earth he did with the money.

I guess until your in that situation you will never know yourself, but from the outside looking in it just seems mental to have have spent the lot.

SChibs
01-05-2018, 07:41 PM

You say rangers were at the height of their cheating but they finished 3rd in Mowbrays second season and they had me guen the season after. The opportunity was there imo but Celtic were pretty strong too

Beefster
01-05-2018, 07:47 PM
Seb Coe ran times that no other European has come close to since in 37 years, and missed large parts of seasons due to toxoplasmosis - which can be linked to blood transfusions. Just saying likes.

It can also be linked to eating contaminated meat. Blood doping generally involves your own blood. If he was partaking, he’s unlikely to catch toxoplasmosis from himself, I wouldn’t think.

calumhibee1
01-05-2018, 08:36 PM
I am about half way through and will watch the rest later. What I can't really understand, although plenty have done it like him and plenty more will, is how can you spend all that money. He was saying he was getting £30,000 in his account one day and then £10,000 the next etc. Then he says he gets £300,000 a year in image rights in Russia.

To then go on and say he got paid more at Birmingham then makes you wonder what on earth he did with the money.

I guess until your in that situation you will never know yourself, but from the outside looking in it just seems mental to have have spent the lot.

It does, but then when you earn that money your outgoings will grow to match it. Instead of having a £200k mortgage, you have a £4m mortgage. Instead of a £150 a month car you have an £800 a month 4x4 and a £200k supercar.

I watched a documentary by ESPN called ESPN 30 for 30: Broke - it was about American sports stars and it said something like 80% of American athletes have to declare bankruptcy and have nothing left within a couple of years of retiring. Some of the guys interviewed were telling how they’d buy all their family and friends nice cars as a thank you. Then they’d bail out family and friends who got into debt. Then they’d pay for everything when they went somewhere. Suddenly before you know it you’ve taken out a huge mortgage, huge car payments etc but you’re also “keeping” about 10 family and friends off your wage aswell and it all spirals out of control. You want to go to Dubai but they can’t afford it? You’ll pay for it, or else you won’t be going. You want to rent a yacht and live the life to reflect your pay but they can’t afford to pitch in for it? Well if you want to do it then you’ll have to just pay for it yourself.

I can believe that for young guys who suddenly earn that money it would be easy to make an absolute mess of it.

snooky
01-05-2018, 08:51 PM
It does, but then when you earn that money your outgoings will grow to match it. Instead of having a £200k mortgage, you have a £4m mortgage. Instead of a £150 a month car you have an £800 a month 4x4 and a £200k supercar.

I watched a documentary by ESPN called ESPN 30 for 30: Broke - it was about American sports stars and it said something like 80% of American athletes have to declare bankruptcy and have nothing left within a couple of years of retiring. Some of the guys interviewed were telling how they’d buy all their family and friends nice cars as a thank you. Then they’d bail out family and friends who got into debt. Then they’d pay for everything when they went somewhere. Suddenly before you know it you’ve taken out a huge mortgage, huge car payments etc but you’re also “keeping” about 10 family and friends off your wage aswell and it all spirals out of control. You want to go to Dubai but they can’t afford it? You’ll pay for it, or else you won’t be going. You want to rent a yacht and live the life to reflect your pay but they can’t afford to pitch in for it? Well if you want to do it then you’ll have to just pay for it yourself.

I can believe that for young guys who suddenly earn that money it would be easy to make an absolute mess of it.

Aye, and the rest they just squander, just like Bestie said he did. :wink:

DavieRoy
01-05-2018, 08:52 PM
You always want to see the good in people and I hope Garry is getting back on his feet. It was an interesting listen, it is great to hear stories inside Easter Road. Although there are so many inconsistencies in his stories and doesn’t deal with his own issues although he maybe saving them for his book. I take most of the interview content with a pinch of salt.

CMurdoch
01-05-2018, 08:53 PM
There's always been the suspicion that the Finnish long distance runner Lasse Viren used this method when he won his Olympic gold medals in the 70's. Despite producing average times in other events, he always found that wee bit extra when performing on the big stage.

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=1124109

I remember watching him run races between the titles he won.
My memory is that he didn't just lose, he was absolutely abject.
Then along would come the championships and he was top dog.
Definitely at it on the blood front.

hibsboy69
01-05-2018, 09:05 PM
Cant bring myself to watch it. Too many bad memories.

We have moved on.........thank god !

California-Hibs
02-05-2018, 05:53 AM
Cant bring myself to watch it. Too many bad memories.

We have moved on.........thank god !

There was some wonderful memories with Gary O'Connor and Hibs! What are you talking about?

Heisenberg
02-05-2018, 06:46 AM
Surely the Arsenal interest is a load of nonesense?! Can’t see Wenger going for big Gaz!

O’Connor seems a likeable enough guy, just extremely stupid and he should be in a much better financial position now than he actually finds himself in. Him moaning about proposed cup final bonuses irked me though, we got pumped 5-1, why do you still care?!

Liam89
02-05-2018, 08:03 AM
Surely the Arsenal interest is a load of nonesense?! Can’t see Wenger going for big Gaz!

O’Connor seems a likeable enough guy, just extremely stupid and he should be in a much better financial position now than he actually finds himself in. Him moaning about proposed cup final bonuses irked me though, we got pumped 5-1, why do you still care?!

Very odd... he admits that Hibs were having financial difficulties but can't believe that all the boys weren't being paid £25k each for winning the cup. Says he's not motivated by money and was just happy to be playing for Hibs again but didn't seem to see the significance of the cup final and take much pride from it, instead, making it all about the money.

Liked him but don't think he came across very well in this interview at all.

Barman Stanton
02-05-2018, 08:07 AM
I’d look at it another way - how many of them would have got into the Rangers and Celtic teams and how many of their players would have got into ours? I can’t remember much about individual players that were at Celtic and Rangers at that point but I’d hazard a guess we’d have been able to offer them 2 or 3 starters each while they’d have probably offered us 6 or 7.

John Hartson
Alan Thompson
Stiliyan Petrov
Chris Sutton
David Marshall
Neil Lennon
Bobo Balde
Aiden McGeady

Were all at Celtic during Mowbrays time at Hibs and would have started for us had they been at Hibs.

Rickson
Ferguson
Lovenkrands
Hutton
Klos
Prso
Buffell

Among others no doubt would all have got into our team from Rangers.

But there is more to a team than individuals. For example Riordan and O'Connor played together since they were boys. You can buy that kind of understanding. Likewise, Brown, Whittaker, Thomson etc all came through different age groups together.

Anyway, still disagree with you, I really think they would have had a shout of the title (had they added a decent keeper and centre back to play with Jones. Would also need to stay clear of injuries etc.

Centre Hawf
02-05-2018, 10:00 AM

A very good documentary and actually quite sad when you see how these young guys who go from living in near poverty as a college athlete are all of a sudden made into millionaires in one night of a draft. The story of one guy who framed his signing bonus cheque because he didn't know he needed to cash it summed up how inexperienced these guys are with money. Too much, too soon.

scott7_0(Prague)
02-05-2018, 11:00 AM
What a lot of cr@p.

Got Alex McLeish his job at Birmingham
Brought on Leigh Griffiths, made him the player he is
Blood removed, cleaned, put back in

Think his mind has been battered by his lifestyle.

calumhibee1
02-05-2018, 12:46 PM
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/garry-oconnor-branded-delusional-drug-12465880

Elephant Stone
02-05-2018, 12:51 PM
Nasty stuff from Lokomotiv there, he's not going to lie about getting his blood taken out is he?

Really enjoyed the interview, didn't like everything he had to say but seems like a decent guy, some funny stories in there.

worcesterhibby
02-05-2018, 01:07 PM
It can also be linked to eating contaminated meat. Blood doping generally involves your own blood. If he was partaking, he’s unlikely to catch toxoplasmosis from himself, I wouldn’t think.

It's also linked to exposure to infected cat poo...Not that I'm suggesting anything about Lord Coe and his Ginger Tom !!

Unseen work
02-05-2018, 02:28 PM
Always find it bizarre the stick Doherty gets, he was probably the best loan player and always gave his all.

His interview after the final is 13.10 in the below link. He says nothing wrong and looks fizzing.

https://youtu.be/RRu0JyC-yEQ

Smartie
02-05-2018, 02:32 PM
Always find it bizarre the stick Doherty gets, he was probably the best loan player and always gave his all.

His interview after the final is 13.10 in the below link. He says nothing wrong and looks fizzing.

Funny you say that - I've never seen the interview but happily jumped on the hate bandwagon.

He actually did very well for us on the park during a much improved second half of that season, and was hung out to dry by the shambolic cup final tactics that left him with 2 players doubling up on him.

Smartie
02-05-2018, 02:36 PM
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/garry-oconnor-branded-delusional-drug-12465880

Looks like he's ruffled more than a few feathers at his old club!

Nakedmanoncrack
02-05-2018, 02:39 PM
Funny you say that - I've never seen the interview but happily jumped on the hate bandwagon.

He actually did very well for us on the park during a much improved second half of that season, and was hung out to dry by the shambolic cup final tactics that left him with 2 players doubling up on him.

First time I've watched that, Doherty doesn't do much wrong, Ian Murray and Garry O'Connor both appear to find something amusing though, presumably it is O'Connor who puts his hand in his face.

JimBHibees
02-05-2018, 02:39 PM

His career has been much better than all bar Griffiths from that team and arguably better than Leigh given he will be likely be playing in the EPL next season. Did he not get into an argument on social media after the game? no idea but if he was/is a decent professional he had every right to be hacked off with what went on that day and days running up to the game if players were arguing over bonuses. Kind of summed up the club at the time I think.

Unseen work
02-05-2018, 02:40 PM

I dare say you’re not the only one mate.

I don’t blame him however, if you have no affection towards hibs and went Came in on loan at that time you would have been thinking it was an absolute shambles of a place. Heaps of players on loan, players and coaches not getting on, tactics changing before games and arguing over a bonus?!

Centre Hawf
02-05-2018, 02:43 PM
His career has been much better than all bar Griffiths from that team and arguably better than Leigh given he will be likely be playing in the EPL next season. Did he not get into an argument on social media after the game? no idea but if he was/is a decent professional he had every right to be hacked off with what went on that day and days running up to the game if players were arguing over bonuses. Kind of summed up the club at the time I think.

He was quite clearly the better of the poor bunch of loanees we had but I remember a Twitter spat he had with someone. The guy he was replying to was a bit of a fud wishing broken legs etc, IIRC, but Docherty was saying stuff like "I'm over it, you should be too." or something similar. I have no interest in what Matt Docherty's career turn into. I don't hate him, but I don't care for him either. Like most of the players in that team.

SRHibs
02-05-2018, 02:48 PM

13:30 Garry O laughing...

JimBHibees
02-05-2018, 02:53 PM
13:30 Garry O laughing...

After throwing away his medal then out on the town for a bevvy. What a lad.

Billy Whizz
02-05-2018, 03:48 PM

When I was hiding under my bed covers

Northernhibee
02-05-2018, 04:20 PM

Tbh I don't have much time for him, although I do feel sad about the way things turned out for him and I hope he's got some stability in his life.

GreenArmy1875
02-05-2018, 04:22 PM
Thought his comments regarding the final were quite interesting, the team really was in proper disarray at the point, fighting relegation, tactics getting changed on the day of the game, rubbish bonuses for winning the cup, far too many loan players, shambles.

Win the cup first then worry about bonuses was my thoughts on that particular bit.

My_Wife_Camille
02-05-2018, 04:53 PM

First time I've watched that, Doherty doesn't do much wrong, Ian Murray and Garry O'Connor both appear to find something amusing though, presumably it is O'Connor who puts his hand in his face.
The Doherty hate comes from his comments on twitter after the game where he had replied to a Hibs fan saying something to the effect of “I don’t give a **** about your club or its fans”

Beefster
02-05-2018, 05:01 PM
The Doherty hate comes from his comments on twitter after the game where he had replied to a Hibs fan saying something to the effect of “I don’t give a **** about your club or its fans”

I think the bit at the end is urban legend. IIRC he posted “I don’t give a ****” to some idiot who was abusing him.

Elephant Stone
02-05-2018, 05:02 PM

Did that definitely happen? I saw the interview he did with the Irish Hibs fan and he was asked if he might be back next season, he replied "no chance". I thought that was the main thing he did that upset folk.

My_Wife_Camille
02-05-2018, 05:08 PM
Did that definitely happen? I saw the interview he did with the Irish Hibs fan and he was asked if he might be back next season, he replied "no chance". I thought that was the main thing he did that upset folk.
It was along those lines for sure, I saw it at the time but I’m paraphrasing now as it was that long ago

KWJ
02-05-2018, 05:10 PM
Can someone post the DR article or another that has the story about Loko no being chuffed.

Hiber-nation
02-05-2018, 05:11 PM
It was along those lines for sure, I saw it at the time but I’m paraphrasing now as it was that long ago

He'd tweeted something on the day after the final along the lines of "what'll I do, last day in Edinburgh" and some Hibbie gave him stick and said he should be in hiding or something similar then it all kicked off.

Bristolhibby
02-05-2018, 05:24 PM
As much as it hurt at the time, 21st May 2016 buried that final.

Forget all about it.

J

hibsboy69
02-05-2018, 09:53 PM
There was some wonderful memories with Gary O'Connor and Hibs! What are you talking about?

Almost getting relegated (having to beat Dunfermline on the final day)

Humped 5-1 in a Cup Final

Watching dreadful football week in week out with Fenlon as manager

I personally don't have too many "wonderful" memories of GOC at Hibs (other than the goal vs Hearts at ER in the last minute)

I apologise for expressing my opinion, won't do it again ! :rolleyes::wink:

Jones28
02-05-2018, 10:14 PM
I can't help but find O'Connor a difficult person to believe. The story he told about giving his driver an £80K Range Rover? Aye ok big man.

The story about his borrowed Ferrari too - utter fabrication and a blotch on his character.

Then there's the drugs and the way he has blamed bad advice for ending up bankrupt. Narcissistic tendencies start with "it's everyone's fault but mine - I'm still great". All he seemed to relate things back to in that interview was money and where he could have gone.

IIRC the monkey was off our backs financially by the time it came for him to go to Russia, so him acting like the great saviour of Hibernian FC by getting us a big transfer fee is a bit of a stretch. However I won't forget him donating his signing on fee to the academy - that was a nice touch.

It's a shame cos I really like Gaz but I think if Riordan had made the same move as Garry he could have gone a lot further in his career - for all the stories about him being a daft wee laddie he's been shrewd with his money and seems to be doing fine. He's got property I think?

I remember meeting Gaz in the Brass Monkey after knocking Hearts out the cup (Witherspoon goal) and me and my dad asking for a picture. Gaz takes the phone fromy dad and starts taking pictures of us before his mate says to him "naw mate, they're wanting a picture of you" 😂

I wish him all the best and hopefully he's conquered his demons.

California-Hibs
04-05-2018, 12:08 AM
Almost getting relegated (having to beat Dunfermline on the final day)

Humped 5-1 in a Cup Final

Watching dreadful football week in week out with Fenlon as manager

I personally don't have too many "wonderful" memories of GOC at Hibs (other than the goal vs Hearts at ER in the last minute)

I apologise for expressing my opinion, won't do it again ! :rolleyes::wink:

Granted, but that was all second spell O'Connor. I was talking about breaking into the team/first spell O'Connor, with many victories over Rangers, Hearts, and Celtic, finishing 3rd, in Europe etc. He was part of all that and it was more so your dismissal of that..

Unseen work
04-05-2018, 02:49 AM
Don’t believe Celtic we’re potentially interested after him training there but he chose to come here.

If they wanted him, they would have got him.

1van Sprou7e
04-05-2018, 09:39 AM
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2585178/garry-oconnor-blood-russia-lokomotiv-moscow-transfusion-hibs/

Either he's a slaver or he's potentially getting some people into big trouble...

calumhibee1
04-05-2018, 09:42 AM
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2585178/garry-oconnor-blood-russia-lokomotiv-moscow-transfusion-hibs/

You can almost tell by how defensive they’ve got over it that it’s true.

overdrive
04-05-2018, 09:57 AM
Granted, but that was all second spell O'Connor. I was talking about breaking into the team/first spell O'Connor, with many victories over Rangers, Hearts, and Celtic, finishing 3rd, in Europe etc. He was part of all that and it was more so your dismissal of that..

I’d probably split his Hibs career into 4 eras.

1. Breaking through under McLeish / Sauzee / early Williamson - good spell
2. The bulk of the Williamson era - average
3. Mowbray - brilliant
4. Second spell - average

He wasn’t well liked by the supporters towards the end of Williamson’s tenure. I remember some sort of fans forum shortly after Mowbray arrived where someone asked what he thought of O’Connor (with an implication that he should be punted). Mowbray then said he thought he was a brilliant player and wanted to build the team around him which prompted s******s from some of the support.

I don’t think he’d have played in Russia or the EPL had it not been for Mowbray’s development of him.

Smartie
04-05-2018, 11:30 AM
I’d probably split his Hibs career into 4 eras.

1. Breaking through under McLeish / Sauzee / early Williamson - good spell
2. The bulk of the Williamson era - average
3. Mowbray - brilliant
4. Second spell - average

He wasn’t well liked by the supporters towards the end of Williamson’s tenure. I remember some sort of fans forum shortly after Mowbray arrived where someone asked what he thought of O’Connor (with an implication that he should be punted). Mowbray then said he thought he was a brilliant player and wanted to build the team around him which prompted s******s from some of the support.

I don’t think he’d have played in Russia or the EPL had it not been for Mowbray’s development of him.

Under Williamson we fell into the obvious trap of looking at GOC as being a big man that would want balls lumped up to him all day. He was ok at dealing with that, nothing special.

He was a different player under Mowbray because we played a lot more football. O'Connor was a cracking player, really good, and it is easy to forget how good he actually was when he played in a decent team that played to his strengths. He had his good partnership with Riordan (the pair of them really complemented each other well under Mowbray), but he was a very important part of the team that had a lot of good, young players.

I always thought Brown was the best of the "golden generation" but O'Connor was a very important player for us. I'd choose him as my man of the match most weeks for his graft and the way he linked our attacking play up, whereas the award tended to go to the likes of Riordan who would win matches for us with a couple of smart finishes.

His work rate used to be pretty phenomenal, and it was the drop off in that that meant he didn't look quite the same player when he came back.

KWJ
04-05-2018, 01:19 PM
He was immense under Mowbray.

A 3-0 home win v Killie sticks out to me. Riordan got the hat trick but O'Connor was MOTM.