PDA

View Full Version : The battle with the weight

Pages : [1] 2 3

lord bunberry
29-04-2018, 12:12 AM
It’s almost an unspoken thing amongst us men and women, but I’m guessing that at some point in time we’re all struggling to lose weight.
I started my diet this week after weighing myself. I was 17st and I’m only 5ft8. Shocking stuff, but I’m sure that we can inspire each other to better things.

Alfiembra
29-04-2018, 05:34 AM
I’m watching my weight, I’ve lost a stone but Ive been doing it over a long period of time, 6 months. I hope to lose another half a stone over the summer. Health issues have dictated the pace for me otherwise I would have been looking for quicker results. What’s worked for me is not letting it become an obsession as I’ve witnessed first hand with others that once they start to see results have become slaves to their diet, and it then turns into a competition, a bit like going to the gym for some people.
You do need to be disciplined though and strong willed over a long period to make changes in your eating habits. I’d suggest just cutting out, or at the very least reducing, the amount of one or two things from your diet for a few weeks that you know are probably unhealthy anyway, like fizzy juice, sugar, chocolate, biscuits, crisps etc. And eat more fruit and veg if you don’t already do. What I’ve come to realise is that you don’t have to drastically reduce the amount you eat to lose weight just change what you do eat and stick rigidly to it. When I get the munchies I’ll sit an eat some grapes whereas before I’d eat a pile of biscuits.
All that said it’s good if you have support from your partner or friends who maybe also want to lose weight and join in with you.
Good luck and keep us posted on how your doing I’m sure you’ll get a lot of encouragement and support from your fellow .netters.

MSK
29-04-2018, 06:35 AM
It’s almost an unspoken thing amongst us men and women, but I’m guessing that at some point in time we’re all struggling to lose weight.
I started my diet this week after weighing myself. I was 17st and I’m only 5ft8. Shocking stuff, but I’m sure that we can inspire each other to better things.Dont know your location mate but I would suggest (if you can) to get along to Easter Rd West stand on a Tues night at 6. You will meet like minded hibbies for a bit of excercise, walk, jog or run around the pitch, various drills set up on concourse of South or East stands. I think with warmer weather/light nights they tend to do outdoor stuff, ie Arthurs Seat etc.

This was set up on the back of the very successful Healthy hibbie/FFit courses to give an opportunity for guys who completed those 12 week courses to continue on their weight loss/fitness regime.

Im hoping to return after a few family issues are resolved, might see you there 👍

Onceinawhile
29-04-2018, 08:46 AM
Also trying to lose weight. Got about a stone and a half to lose to get back to the weight I was last year.

First two weeks are always the hardest. Keep at it 👍👍

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-04-2018, 09:56 AM
Dieting and weight management is less about food and more about behaviour. I loved using my treadmill. An hour every day before tea. Then it broke and I had a muscle tear and lack of self discipline saw me put on two stones in as many months. Helps to set a target. Mine was getting back into my favourite jeans and checking progress every week. Hardly used the scales.

bingo70
29-04-2018, 10:04 AM
I’m no expert on the matter at all but I found it pretty easy to lose some weight earlier in the year, I’ve stopped trying now but maintained a lot of the habits I tried to introduce when I was losing weight (not all of them Though)

Changed from white bread to brown break (now moved to 50/50 best of both).

Replaced sweets after my tea and lunch with low fat yoghurts.

Made a point of having veg with my tea (microwave steam bags are so easy there’s no excuse not too really).

Got lower calorie chocolate biscuits for when I had an urge for chocolate I couldn’t shake.

Cut out midweek drinking in the house.

Low calorie microwave meals for lunch.

Think the most important one though was starting to walk more, started walking 2.5 miles a day to work so 5 miles a day. Not exactly marathon training but compared to doing absolutely nothing before I like to think it’ll be doing some good.

I also think it’s important to allow yourself treats, if you try and cut everything out it’s comoletely unsustainable.

One thing I do struggle with is eating fruit, completely pointless activity in my book. Don’t particularly enjoy the taste of it and doesn’t even get close to filling me up, if anything it makes me hungrier.

Hope some of that helps, I’m still overweight but reckon some progress is being made so I’m pretty relaxed about it.

lord bunberry
29-04-2018, 10:19 AM
Dont know your location mate but I would suggest (if you can) to get along to Easter Rd West stand on a Tues night at 6. You will meet like minded hibbies for a bit of excercise, walk, jog or run around the pitch, various drills set up on concourse of South or East stands. I think with warmer weather/light nights they tend to do outdoor stuff, ie Arthurs Seat etc.

This was set up on the back of the very successful Healthy hibbie/FFit courses to give an opportunity for guys who completed those 12 week courses to continue on their weight loss/fitness regime.

Im hoping to return after a few family issues are resolved, might see you there 👍
I work at night time so I haven’t been able to get along to the hibs thing. It seems like a good idea though. Do you just turn up for it or do you have to book yourself in first?

lord bunberry
29-04-2018, 10:24 AM
I’m no expert on the matter at all but I found it pretty easy to lose some weight earlier in the year, I’ve stopped trying now but maintained a lot of the habits I tried to introduce when I was losing weight (not all of them Though)

Changed from white bread to brown break (now moved to 50/50 best of both).

Replaced sweets after my tea and lunch with low fat yoghurts.

Made a point of having veg with my tea (microwave steam bags are so easy there’s no excuse not too really).

Got lower calorie chocolate biscuits for when I had an urge for chocolate I couldn’t shake.

Cut out midweek drinking in the house.

Low calorie microwave meals for lunch.

Think the most important one though was starting to walk more, started walking 2.5 miles a day to work so 5 miles a day. Not exactly marathon training but compared to doing absolutely nothing before I like to think it’ll be doing some good.

I also think it’s important to allow yourself treats, if you try and cut everything out it’s comoletely unsustainable.

One thing I do struggle with is eating fruit, completely pointless activity in my book. Don’t particularly enjoy the taste of it and doesn’t even get close to filling me up, if anything it makes me hungrier.

Hope some of that helps, I’m still overweight but reckon some progress is being made so I’m pretty relaxed about it.
The lack of exercise is probably the biggest issue for me. I can’t walk to work and my job involves sitting down and driving. Ive joined the gym and I’m trying to go as much as I can.

Pretty Boy
29-04-2018, 10:33 AM
My weight fluctuates terribly. A few bad weeks and I can pile a stone or 2 on easy. I was training for the Stirling marathon last year and was in great shape. Got injured, got down about it and started comfort eating and having a few extra beers and went from around 13 stone to almost 16 in about 9 months. Being a new Dad and grabbing food when I could didn't help either as it's generally crap I was getting on the go.

Fit again now and back out running and slowly easing my way back into things. I'm lucky I'm naturally pretty fit so can pick things up again quickly. I always need a target though so I'm aiming to run London or Edinburgh next year to keep me focussed. I'm also batch cooking soups, stews and casserole in bulk ans freezing them so there is always sonething with plenty veg to grab quickly if needed.

If anyone ever fancies going a run together give me a shout; sometimes having someone to chat with can make it seem all tge easier.

Jay
29-04-2018, 10:34 AM
Dont starve yourself or you wont last. Bigger portions of the good stuff, smaller portions of the not so good stuff. You dont need treats,your not a dog. Move more. Its a lifestyle change and not a diet you need. Automatically take the stairs instead of a lift, leave the car keys whenever possible. Make a point of going for a walk as part of your week. Just make healthier choices and the weightloss will follow. Stay off the scales and go with how you feel and how your clothes feel.

Easily said, harder to put into practice I know. Its a constant battle for me.

I gained (or regained) a lot of weight at the beginning of last year after an op and have spent the last 9 months slowly getting it off again. Im getting there but life stresses and injuries get in the way sometimes. You just need to keep going when you can

And i hate the gym, save your pennies and go for a walk instead. Nothing beats running in the rain.

bingo70
29-04-2018, 10:36 AM
The lack of exercise is probably the biggest issue for me. I can’t walk to work and my job involves sitting down and driving. Ive joined the gym and I’m trying to go as much as I can.

Might be a bit simplistic but do you like the gym? If not I wouldn’t bother. Not impossible to maintain it but I’d have thought the chances are slim (no pun intended) if you don’t like it.

I think the best bet is to find something you actually enjoy and try and do that more.

I tried the gym for a bit but I found it mind numbingly boring, started going swimming instead which I loved but I’ve stopped that now im walking to work.

I’m still a fat ******* though so don’t go taking what I say as gospel, sure there are people better qualified than me to give advice.

Pretty Boy
29-04-2018, 10:41 AM
One other thing I'd say is don't beat yourself up if you have a 'bad day'. A slip up that sees you demolish 8 beers and a kebab happens.

The temptation is to think 'well that's it all ****ed then' and go back into bad habits. If you get back on the right track the next day then it's no real harm done.

MSK
29-04-2018, 10:45 AM
I work at night time so I haven’t been able to get along to the hibs thing. It seems like a good idea though. Do you just turn up for it or do you have to book yourself in first?For the Ffit you need to register but for the Tuesday nights you just turn up at West stand reception. The Tuesdays were an offshoot of the organised Ffit 12 week course & was set up solely for fans to maintain their fitness levels. It is entirely free & you go at your own pace as you build up your fitness levels. Plenty guys there to offer you added support too 👍

Pretty Boy
29-04-2018, 10:50 AM
For the Ffit you need to register but for the Tuesday nights you just turn up at West stand reception. The Tuesdays were an offshoot of the organised Ffit 12 week course & was set up solely for fans to maintain their fitness levels. It is entirely free & you go at your own pace as you build up your fitness levels. Plenty guys there to offer you added support too 👍

Is there an age limit on the Tuesday nights? I know FFIT was over 35s or something.

I could be interested as it sounds a decent way to keep motivated.

sleeping giant
29-04-2018, 11:05 AM
Ive started back at the gym 2 weeks ago.
I just go on the treadmill though. I do 7.5 k three times a week. It's not a huge distance and I only run for a half km then walk for a half km and so on.
I'm going to build it up to walking for a quarter km then run for a half km.
The target is to run for 10km without stopping.

About 5 years ago I started the gym as I was 95kg's . I only done the treadmill like above and got down to 79kg and was able to run 10k in 56 minutes.

I'm back at 94kgs just now and want to at least get down to 80-85 kg.

Dont go on the scales everyday is my advice.
Once every month or so will show you the difference.

Motivation is the key too. I have a lovely suit that I am trying to get back into.

Its tough in the gym and I have constant mental battles throughout my hour.

It's amazing how some things motivate you more than others. I was spent last Friday and struggling with a km to go when a lovely female jumped on the treadmill beside me.
Belly sucked in and hammered the last Km no problem :-)

The_Exile
29-04-2018, 11:07 AM
I got a bit porky a couple of years ago, was always 9 and a half stone from around age 14 to age 32, then just stopped exercising and ate rubbish, went up to just over 14 stone in less than a year. The things that work for me is exercising in the morning on an empty stomach when you're completely empty of calories (I cycle to work now and at the weekends I've got a turbo trainer for if the weather is rubbish), no liquid calories (ie, cola, orange juice and lemonade which I love, Guinness which I love even more) and I never ever eat anything after 7pm as my body just cannot process calories or carbohydrates after that time. I'm a type 1 diabetic so I'm in a bit of a fortunate position of being able to keep an eye on what's going in inside more than most but the exercising in the morning before brekkie is the big one, I lost almost 2 stone in a little under 4 months just doing that until I got my diet sorted. Make sure you get plenty of sleep.

Never deny yourself anything, if you want a pint of whatever, have it, if you want a take away, have it, retain discipline though and don't have 2 or 3 a week and you'll be grand. Try and find healthier treats when you want something to snack on, I've started eating the chocolate orange Nakd bars, they're delicious but not got much in the way of bad stuff in them.

snooky
29-04-2018, 11:29 AM
Interesting thread. My weight has edged up pound by pound over the years. I've reached the point where I feel it's affecting my health and my general mobility. I started a diet a week ago and I am already feeling the benefits. A little more energy for one thing. I'm trying to walk and cycle more. Hopefully this will become easier when my weight decreases.
I'd love to play football again but I don't want to risk a bad injury that would clock an old codger like me for good.

wpj
29-04-2018, 11:56 AM
I have started yoga and meditation. Maybe more for the depression and anxiety thread but I feel it is relevant here too. I have lost nearly a stone but it was unplanned and due to several things. The plus is I am now working to maintain the loss through the healthist methods. I am currently walking about 1 or 2 hours a day. Headphones on and going for it. It is good for both my health and head but requires discipline. If I don't walk I swim for an hour. I'm not at all well but I find this helps me loads.

Hiber-nation
29-04-2018, 12:59 PM
Interesting thread. My weight has edged up pound by pound over the years. I've reached the point where I feel it's affecting my health and my general mobility. I started a diet a week ago and I am already feeling the benefits. A little more energy for one thing. I'm trying to walk and cycle more. Hopefully this will become easier when my weight decreases.
I'd love to play football again but I don't want to risk a bad injury that would clock an old codger like me for good.

I only gave up in August, knees aren't in great shape and wasn't enjoying the pain the next day. Tried walking football and hated it because I can still run.

Anyway that was a bit of a thread hijack, I'd actually like to put on a bit of weight but don't want go back to eating rubbish!

heretoday
29-04-2018, 02:59 PM
Walk up a hill three times a week but don't have a beer when you come down. Have a cuppa!

Pete
29-04-2018, 03:19 PM
I’ve been loosely following the paleo diet for just over a week and I’ve noticed a difference already. I haven’t weighed myself but I can just tell. In fact, calling it a diet is wrong as that infers calorie counting and scales every day...none of that nonsense. I’m not even exercising.

All I've done is get rid of bread, pasta, dairy and processed meals while eating as much meat, veg, nuts and fruit as I can. Lots of steak and bacon etc..? Sounds good eh?

Honestly, it works. :aok:

MSK
29-04-2018, 03:42 PM
Is there an age limit on the Tuesday nights? I know FFIT was over 35s or something.

I could be interested as it sounds a decent way to keep motivated.No mate, they are quite relaxed about the Tuesdays, they are happy to see the hibs community using the facilities. Obv they would draw the line at a bunch of 16 year old steroid popping grey joggie brigade turning up 😆

Killiehibbie
29-04-2018, 03:44 PM
Ive started back at the gym 2 weeks ago.
I just go on the treadmill though. I do 7.5 k three times a week. It's not a huge distance and I only run for a half km then walk for a half km and so on.
I'm going to build it up to walking for a quarter km then run for a half km.
The target is to run for 10km without stopping.

About 5 years ago I started the gym as I was 95kg's . I only done the treadmill like above and got down to 79kg and was able to run 10k in 56 minutes.

I'm back at 94kgs just now and want to at least get down to 80-85 kg.

Dont go on the scales everyday is my advice.
Once every month or so will show you the difference.

Motivation is the key too. I have a lovely suit that I am trying to get back into.

Its tough in the gym and I have constant mental battles throughout my hour.

It's amazing how some things motivate you more than others. I was spent last Friday and struggling with a km to go when a lovely female jumped on the treadmill beside me.
Belly sucked in and hammered the last Km no problem :-)
You ever tried to catch the one on the treadmill in front of you?
I used to hate running but if I timed it for a game being on the tv found i could eventually run for the first half, slow down for half time then run again for the second half for a total of about 25km.

Jim44
29-04-2018, 05:08 PM
A year ago I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I never considered myself ‘heavy’ but was about a stone and a half over my acceptable BMI. Because of the condition I started to eat more carefully, cutting out high carbohydrate food, like potatoes, white rice, pasta and bread. The aim was to control high Blood Glucose levels but the spin off was that the weight loss was inevitable. I lost the stone and a half within a few months and I have levelled out at that weight. To most folk, the thought of avoiding the foods I mentioned would be depressing but you can find tasty alternatives and still enjoy your food. By being careful with what I eat and watching portion sizes, I can enjoy, brown rice, wholewheat pasta and Burgen bread. I even enjoy sugar free home-made desserts. I still enjoy a glass or two of red wine and whisky but avoid beer and cider. Importantly, I play golf at least four times a week and often have a brisk walk after my evening meal.

Hibbyradge
29-04-2018, 05:10 PM
My wife joined Slimming World and it's changed the way we cook.

They have their own way of measuring food values, called "syns", but the amount that you can eat is virtually unlimited, as long as you're following their recipes, using low calorie spray oil, and restricting your "syns" to the recommended number.

It's amazing really.

You can find loads of SW recipes online. Their chips are fantastic and "syn" free.

https://www.slimmingworld.co.uk/recipes/syn-free-chips.aspx

jonty
29-04-2018, 07:32 PM
portion control is my weakness.
That, and my knee ligament wen quite a few years ago and i use that as an excuse to avoid running etc. I should probably get back to the docs to get it sorted but the last two times I was in they couldn't find anything.
Doesn't stop it buckling/giving way when i twist/put weight on it.
Anyhoo, exercise is key and I'm conveniently using that as an excuse.

I enjoy cooking at home, but not really adventurous - root veg, beef, chicken, tuna, cheddar. that's about it :greengrin

Syns sound like a good idea. particularly for portion sizes :greengrin

Jay
29-04-2018, 07:37 PM
Im not a fan of slimming clubs. They are a business depending on you to fail. SW classes are the worst ive been to. No food should be a syn, they dont teach you portion control and weekly weighing should be banned, your punished for gaining weight but no thought to it being fluid or muscle. Believe me ive done them all and been in the magazines. They dont teach you lifestyle changes. Keep your money and go for a walk instead

lapsedhibee
29-04-2018, 09:55 PM
You dont need treats,your not a dog.

:greengrin

Jay
29-04-2018, 10:06 PM

:greengrin PT instructor tells me this all the time.

snooky
29-04-2018, 10:11 PM
:greengrin PT instructor tells me this all the time.

Maybe he has a bone to pick with you?

Jay
29-04-2018, 10:16 PM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

jonty
30-04-2018, 07:34 PM

Aye but you cant teach an old dog new tricks....apparently :greengrin

Jay
30-04-2018, 07:43 PM
Aye but you cant teach an old dog new tricks....apparently :greengrin

Em? :gun:

snooky
30-04-2018, 10:26 PM
Em? :gun:

If the guns are a clue, I'm guessing a pointer? :greengrin

Steve-O
01-05-2018, 01:10 AM
Looking to lose a bit of weight myself...again!

I was probably heaviest around 2006 when I was literally doing zero exercise (walking to the car was about the extent of it) and eating and drinking pretty badly on a regular basis. A relationship break up meant I had a bit of spare time on my hands so I went to the gym fairly regularly and started eating a bit better - lost 1.5 stone or thereabouts in 6 months or so.

And then the excuses and up and down weight began in earnest - went travelling and spent around 4 months drinking and eating rubbish almost daily. Wasn't long before most of the weight was back!

Have lost/gained weight on a number of occasions since, stopped/started the gym several times, done the calorie counting, stopped counting the calories, made my excuses about going on holidays etc (but then kept that level of eating / drinking going after returning from said holidays!), and then had a baby a couple of years ago which takes up huge swathes of what spare time you used to have, and makes you tired/lazy in terms of exercising, eating wisely.

Like some others, the gym bores me to tears, hence why I struggle to maintain it. I always felt good afterwards, but the whole process of going there, getting ready, doing the session, showering afterwards, getting changed, and getting home just takes too long for my liking.

I definitely need to up my exercise (from walking to and from work - not long walks as I catch the train) but I'm starting off with cutting out a lot of the rubbish I've been eating from the start of the year - chocolate, crisps, biscuits, dessert after dinner etc. Also cutting down on the beer as much as I can. I'm into the craft beer which is generally quite high %, and I read that the higher the %, the more calories in the beer. So, midweek drinking is out for the moment, and, when possible, weekend drinking too, particularly at home.

I am using a calorie counter app thing which I find quite useful to be honest. Not for everyone, but seeing just how man calories are in a slice of chocolate cake, for example, is enough to make me think twice about having it again!

Got a few pairs of trousers / jeans etc that need a more slimline version of myself before I can wear them going to waste in the wardrobe, so that's the motivation...and good health I suppose! Hoping to save a bit of money on the bevvy at the same time.

Moulin Yarns
01-05-2018, 06:02 AM
I retired at the end of March and didn't want to get into bad habits. 2 days a week I set the alarm, get up and go for a minimum hours walk (take the camera). I'm also getting on top of the garden so plenty of gentle exercise. I have been eating reasonably sensibly for a while so no rubbish but also enjoy a beer occassionally.

I am trying to keep to the 10,000 steps a day. Walk instead of jump in the car (the nearest shop is 2 miles away and it is uphill all the way home)

In a month I have lost 4lbs. My BMI is 25.9 (18-25 is healthy)

So, for me sensible eating, along with a small increase in exercise is working.

Jones28
02-05-2018, 10:37 PM
One tip I read about recently is regarding meals.

Breakfast like a king, lunch like a Lord and dinner like a peasant.

I.e. Breakfast and lunch big (healthily though) and have smaller dinners as our bodies don't process food as efficiently over night.

When I'm on a training cycle (as I am at the moment) I have a decent breakfast, eat twice more through the day, hit the gym late afternoon/early evening and eat when I come home. I try not to eat after 8 o'clock - doesn't always work but it's a lifestyle change that helps.

Diet wise, as people have already mentioned, don't beat yourself up if you have a bad day - it happens. The key to recovering is not to think "**** it, that's it scuppered" but to allow you to have a cheat day as long as you promise yourself you'll get back to it tomorrow.

I did a BMI test a week ago and the calculator said I was obese - with a 36 inch waiste and at 6ft 1" I weigh in at 104KG's - I thought that was a little harsh but making tiny changes can have a big effect. What BMI doesn't take in to account is that you may carry more muscle than it thinks if you out your weight in. I take it with a pinch of salt and as a rough guide rather than a death sentence.

green&left
03-05-2018, 08:15 AM
Im not a fan of slimming clubs. They are a business depending on you to fail. SW classes are the worst ive been to. No food should be a syn, they dont teach you portion control and weekly weighing should be banned, your punished for gaining weight but no thought to it being fluid or muscle. Believe me ive done them all and been in the magazines. They dont teach you lifestyle changes. Keep your money and go for a walk instead

My GF started slimming world and I was quite shocked at the ***** I was reading.

According to the books she had and meetings she went too, she could have a single fish from the chippy with no batter, or as much potatoes or pasta in a day as she wanted, then told to use all her syns "even if it means having half a curly wurly before your bed", but apparently wasn't allowed to eat an avocado :crazy:

Jay
03-05-2018, 08:51 AM
My GF started slimming world and I was quite shocked at the ***** I was reading.

According to the books she had and meetings she went too, she could have a single fish from the chippy with no batter, or as much potatoes or pasta in a day as she wanted, then told to use all her syns "even if it means having half a curly wurly before your bed", but apparently wasn't allowed to eat an avocado :crazy:

Yep.thats the one. And your fat shamed in class if you gain. No thought to it being water retention, especially some weeks for women, different clothes or god forbid youd done some exercise and gained muscle. I know people who take diuretics before weigh ins to avoid the fat shaming. The one class I went to they had to explain why theyd gained and what their target loss was for the following week to the whole class. Its not healthy.

Northernhibee
03-05-2018, 09:05 AM
DDP Yoga is fantastic. I do it in the morning before my shower, **** and shave routine and it's great.

Moulin Yarns
03-05-2018, 09:45 AM
This morning I started my walk at 7am, walked for 2hours 12 minutes, climbed Craigour Hill, 9.6km, 400m climb. saw buzzards, partridge, hares as well as more common birds. Primroses, wood sorrel, dog-tooth violets all in flower.

I love being retired :greengrin

snooky
03-05-2018, 10:05 AM
Yep.thats the one. And your fat shamed in class if you gain. No thought to it being water retention, especially some weeks for women, different clothes or god forbid youd done some exercise and gained muscle. I know people who take diuretics before weigh ins to avoid the fat shaming. The one class I went to they had to explain why theyd gained and what their target loss was for the following week to the whole class. Its not healthy.

I can picture the painting "And when did you last see your fat-her"?

Jay
03-05-2018, 10:51 AM
I can picture the painting "And when did you last see your fat-her"?

😁 pretty much. After the 30th person id given up the will to live.

I weighed myself this morning for the first time in ages. Ive lost nearly three stones since about sept. No fat club required :greengrin

Tobias Funke
03-05-2018, 12:15 PM
I retired at the end of March and didn't want to get into bad habits. 2 days a week I set the alarm, get up and go for a minimum hours walk (take the camera). I'm also getting on top of the garden so plenty of gentle exercise. I have been eating reasonably sensibly for a while so no rubbish but also enjoy a beer occassionally.

I am trying to keep to the 10,000 steps a day. Walk instead of jump in the car (the nearest shop is 2 miles away and it is uphill all the way home)

In a month I have lost 4lbs. My BMI is 25.9 (18-25 is healthy)

So, for me sensible eating, along with a small increase in exercise is working.

That last sentence resonates with me. When you combine both, while staying determined and focused, the weight really does slide off.

My job is demanding during the winter months so I binge eat a lot and lose all my discipline. Then I get really annoyed with myself as work clothes tighten up and I have to wear my bigger jeans. Hate it!

I got my focus back over two weeks ago, cut all the crap out and upped the exercise. Got a set of new scales I can trust (Salter scales are terrible and not accurate or reliable) I have dropped 6lbs in 17 days which is good going. Target is to lose a stone and a half by end of June as I won't continue to lose it at that rate.

The key for me is routine, especially with eating. Once you have done it for a week you have usually gotten rid of any sugar/fat cravings and it becomes a lot easier.

7 1/2 miles walk last night, hoping to do lot more this weekend.

Since90+2
03-05-2018, 12:57 PM
Diet is far and away the most important part of controlling your weight. If you are eating unhealthily it really won't matter what excersise you are doing as you can't outrun a bad diet.

heretoday
03-05-2018, 02:20 PM
Diet is far and away the most important part of controlling your weight. If you are eating unhealthily it really won't matter what excersise you are doing as you can't outrun a bad diet.

Hear hear. For me, it was giving up digestive biscuits and peanut butter for fruit. And walking up Corstorphine Hill three times a week.
There's no need for gyms and swimming pools. In fact, they are places of torment to me!

Hibbyradge
03-05-2018, 04:38 PM

Your experience sounds dreadful and it would be worth putting in a complaint. I'm sure that's not the desired environment.

My wife has lost a stone on SW and she's not following it particularly rigorously. She had put a pound on last time though and was told not to worry, just to keep doing what she was doing.

Jay
03-05-2018, 05:22 PM
Your experience sounds dreadful and it would be worth putting in a complaint. I'm sure that's not the desired environment.

My wife has lost a stone on SW and she's not following it particularly rigorously. She had put a pound on last time though and was told not to worry, just to keep doing what she was doing.

Horses for.courses I think,. A woman near me has lost about seven stones on SW. Everything in moderation and increased activity works for me just now.

Hibbyradge
03-05-2018, 05:36 PM
Horses for.courses I think,. A woman near me has lost about seven stones on SW. Everything in moderation and increased activity works for me just now.

Wow! 7 stones!

Dav1986
03-05-2018, 10:25 PM
I went from 226lbs to 200lbs last January to may before getting married by getting out running and cutting out a lot of carbs from my diet. Used myfitnesspal app to track what I was eating and to hit my macro goals. Most low carb diets say to be less than 10g carbs per day but I felt that would be too difficult so set my own goal at 50g.

Worked for me but I'd say as long as you can stick with the change in diet or the regular exercise for 3-4 weeks in a row, it's much easier to keep that up.

Don't pay too much attention to bmi as someone else mentioned, better off with measuring body fat percentage.

I have a fitbit now which helps keep me motivated. If anyone has one and wants to add me for any challenges etc keep each other going feel free to PM me

NAE NOOKIE
03-05-2018, 11:31 PM
Walking football IS THE ANSWER :greengrin

I first started playing just over 2 years ago, I lasted 30 minutes of my first 60 minute session and couldn't believe how unfit I was. Now I play 2 X 90 minute sessions per week and 3 X 20 minute games one after another when my team plays Scottish league fixtures ... we are currently in 2nd place in a 12 team league:thumbsup:

Not long after I started playing I needed my good suit for a funeral and it was at least 2 inches too tight for me even to fasten the button on the trousers ... a few weeks ago I put on the same suit and needed a belt to hold the trousers up. I have not changed my lifestyle one bit, I eat and drink the same rubbish I did 2 years ago, in fact probably more of it and unfortunately still smoke.... my new supermodel type figure is purely down to walking football, if like me you think going to a gym or just running is the height of insanity then walking football is for you.

Walking football clubs will accept anybody regardless of ability, fitness sex or even age ... though almost every organised tournament is 50+ .... in Scotland there are currently over 80 clubs almost all of whom are members of the newly established governing body 'Walking football Scotland' who have the full backing of the SFA, SPFL, Scottish government and a number of charities like Age Scotland. The number of clubs is growing all the time and there are currently over 2,000 people playing the sport.

In Edinburgh there are 100 people registered with Hearts walking football with 50 players not unusual at their sessions. Edinburgh City also have approximately 50 players and a new club 'Oriam' ( the name speaks for itself ) have around 50 players as well. Spartans have up to 20 players and there are more new Edinburgh teams in the pipeline in Corstorphine community centre and Edinburgh south community club.

For info see
http://walkingfootballedinburgh.weebly.com/ (https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwalkingfootballedinburgh.weeb ly.com%2F&h=ATNbs27tfDqGrQCj9LqTOPe2WHE2gGdf9gxizaBmKj6KYSEn _WG2TvsMjY7Mij6IEiqbqO8eyChnkCUc9Gs5FYB7iLKHqWziqi hH-gnoxbC70HDJS-L8puoeJvGtES_Hb_-Da43KO4s4nHUMDCmEOIRzLQ)

In the Borders Peebles, Galashiels, Kelso, Hawick, Coldstream and Lauder all have teams or walking football groups and that's in so called Rugby territory.

Football aside, the social side and camaraderie will take you back to your sport playing youth, folk are just as daft as they were back in the day, but the stories are better:greengrin I would also mention that there are many tournaments organised in Europe during the summer and I know a good few people who have hugely enjoyed taking part, including myself, I know that Midlothian / Loanhead walking football team played in Jamaica a few weeks back.

There is absolutely no downside to walking football and I simply cant recommend it highly enough :aok:

I note a poster further back on the thread saying he tried Waking football but hated it 'because he can still run' .... about 90% of folk who play walking football can still run, that's why not running is rule one page one chapter one of the rule book. Not running is a discipline of walking football and a small price to pay in return for the huge benefits to be gained from it :greengrin

Current Scottish Walking football league 2018 standings after 3 fixtures out of 22:

Hearts 56
Gala Fairydean Rovers
Hearts 98
North Lanark Leisure
Ayr United, Parkhouse
Ayr United Beresford
Glasgow Sport West
Glasgow Sport East
Oriam
Motherwell
Fife Wanderers
Stenhousemuir

Sorry for :hijack: but if you think I cant shut up about Hibs don't even get me started on Walking football, the best thing I have ever done :aok:

snooky
03-05-2018, 11:47 PM

I first started playing just over 2 years ago, I lasted 30 minutes of my first 60 minute session and couldn't believe how unfit I was. Now I play 2 X 90 minute sessions per week and 3 X 20 minute games one after another when my team plays Scottish league fixtures ... we are currently in 2nd place in a 12 team league:thumbsup: .........................

I'd like to try it but TBH, the main thing that puts me off is the first time a tempting cross comes over 2 yards away from my head then I'd just HAVE to break into a run to get my noddle on it. Knowing I couldn't do that, I would be huffed.

NAE NOOKIE
04-05-2018, 01:05 AM
I'd like to try it but TBH, the main thing that puts me off is the first time a tempting cross comes over 2 yards away from my head then I'd just HAVE to break into a run to get my noddle on it. Knowing I couldn't do that, I would be huffed.

Good luck with that mate .... playing the ball above head height is a free kick, though you can still score with a diving header :greengrin

Don't let the running thing put you off, practically everybody breaks into a run at one time or another, I'm probably the worst culprit at my club as any of my team mates would no doubt tell you.

Without a word of a lie, everything that separates a good player from an ordinary player from a poor player in 'normal' football applies to walking football .. for example, you have to be able to trap a ball and accurate passing is even more important than in 'normal' football for the simple reason that you cant run after a poorly placed pass :greengrin

Everything that separates a good team from an average team to a poor team applies as well. Every tournament is played in a 3 touch format and if your players cant trap a ball and pass it accurately you will lose to a team with players who can, movement is probably more important than in 'normal' football as well .... much as I hate to say it both teams Hearts walking football put on the park have good movement and they can all play, its no coincidence they were 1st and 2nd in the league last year and favourites to repeat that feat this year.

All I can say to encourage you apart from that is to say this: The day my next door neighbour pocked his head over the hedge and said 'hey Nae Nookie, how about coming to our walking football sessions?' my immediate reaction was 'are you f'ing joking, a load of doddery auld gits stumbling about pretending to play fitba' ... yer havin' a laugh'

Boy did I get my eyes opened ... that initial reaction couldn't be further from the reality and tournament games can be bloody tasty, I've been flattened more than once, had my teeth loosened by an elbow in the Scottish cup, I'm currently nursing a sore shin from an over the ball challenge in the league and I've even seen a Hearts player poleaxed by a deliberate flying elbow from Frank McAvennie in a friendly. I've seen fights break out between two teams playing an Ayrshire derby and even seen a Glasgow team thrown out of a tournament at Stenhousemuir for abusing opponents and too many refs and I personally got called an effing prick by a weegie I tackled in one of our last league games last week ha ha... I've played against Chick Young, Barry Ferguson and Joe Miller in a friendly as well.

Having said all that, the vast majority of games are played in a good spirit and I've never seen any bad feeling continue after a game has finished no matter how competitive it has been .... but honestly give it a go mate, you wont look back I promise you ... see the link on my post above to find a session :aok:

Oh and PS

In a tournament two years ago a pass from one of my team mates was deflected off an opponent, the ball came to me at knee height about 15 yards out and as it came across me I hit a first time volley into the keepers top right hand corner .... even at 56 years old the absolute pleasure scoring a goal like that gave me was something no amount of money can buy ... I felt like a kid again .... if you can get the same buzz one day wouldn't it be worth it :hyper

Steve-O
04-05-2018, 02:16 AM
I've managed to lose about 2.5lbs in a week, and that included a bit of a blow-out last Friday with after work drinks. Basically that has come through cutting out chocolate / crisps / midweek drinking and just eating reasonably sensibly. It has included zero increase in exercise, which is something I need to work on - easier said than done. My latest excuse is that it's almost winter here now so too cold and dark to go out walking at night...not sure what my excuse was during what was a glorious summer - too hot mibbe!

MSK
04-05-2018, 04:42 AM

I first started playing just over 2 years ago, I lasted 30 minutes of my first 60 minute session and couldn't believe how unfit I was. Now I play 2 X 90 minute sessions per week and 3 X 20 minute games one after another when my team plays Scottish league fixtures ... we are currently in 2nd place in a 12 team league:thumbsup:

Not long after I started playing I needed my good suit for a funeral and it was at least 2 inches too tight for me even to fasten the button on the trousers ... a few weeks ago I put on the same suit and needed a belt to hold the trousers up. I have not changed my lifestyle one bit, I eat and drink the same rubbish I did 2 years ago, in fact probably more of it and unfortunately still smoke.... my new supermodel type figure is purely down to walking football, if like me you think going to a gym or just running is the height of insanity then walking football is for you.

Walking football clubs will accept anybody regardless of ability, fitness sex or even age ... though almost every organised tournament is 50+ .... in Scotland there are currently over 80 clubs almost all of whom are members of the newly established governing body 'Walking football Scotland' who have the full backing of the SFA, SPFL, Scottish government and a number of charities like Age Scotland. The number of clubs is growing all the time and there are currently over 2,000 people playing the sport.

In Edinburgh there are 100 people registered with Hearts walking football with 50 players not unusual at their sessions. Edinburgh City also have approximately 50 players and a new club 'Oriam' ( the name speaks for itself ) have around 50 players as well. Spartans have up to 20 players and there are more new Edinburgh teams in the pipeline in Corstorphine community centre and Edinburgh south community club.

For info see
http://walkingfootballedinburgh.weebly.com/ (https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwalkingfootballedinburgh.weeb ly.com%2F&h=ATNbs27tfDqGrQCj9LqTOPe2WHE2gGdf9gxizaBmKj6KYSEn _WG2TvsMjY7Mij6IEiqbqO8eyChnkCUc9Gs5FYB7iLKHqWziqi hH-gnoxbC70HDJS-L8puoeJvGtES_Hb_-Da43KO4s4nHUMDCmEOIRzLQ)

In the Borders Peebles, Galashiels, Kelso, Hawick, Coldstream and Lauder all have teams or walking football groups and that's in so called Rugby territory.

Football aside, the social side and camaraderie will take you back to your sport playing youth, folk are just as daft as they were back in the day, but the stories are better:greengrin I would also mention that there are many tournaments organised in Europe during the summer and I know a good few people who have hugely enjoyed taking part, including myself, I know that Midlothian / Loanhead walking football team played in Jamaica a few weeks back.

There is absolutely no downside to walking football and I simply cant recommend it highly enough :aok:

I note a poster further back on the thread saying he tried Waking football but hated it 'because he can still run' .... about 90% of folk who play walking football can still run, that's why not running is rule one page one chapter one of the rule book. Not running is a discipline of walking football and a small price to pay in return for the huge benefits to be gained from it :greengrin

Current Scottish Walking football league 2018 standings after 3 fixtures out of 22:

Hearts 56
Gala Fairydean Rovers
Hearts 98
North Lanark Leisure
Ayr United, Parkhouse
Ayr United Beresford
Glasgow Sport West
Glasgow Sport East
Oriam
Motherwell
Fife Wanderers
Stenhousemuir

Sorry for :hijack: but if you think I cant shut up about Hibs don't even get me started on Walking football, the best thing I have ever done :aok:Totally !! I admit to not playing at any level but have played at hibs FFit training, sod the gym, walking football is the ultimate workout 😆👍

Hiber-nation
04-05-2018, 06:16 AM

That was me...the games I played in were so frustrating as the refs didn't really bother about some guys who were basically running as far as I could see. I'll probably give it another try though.

NAE NOOKIE
04-05-2018, 10:57 AM
That was me...the games I played in were so frustrating as the refs didn't really bother about some guys who were basically running as far as I could see. I'll probably give it another try though.

Running is being slapped down in the most brutal fashion now that the game has a proper governing body. The Scottish league for example has proper qualified referees and if the last 3 games I played in are anything to go by you will get done every time and that includes running off the ball especially ... twice in one game for me last week :greengrin

The rules are now standardised and a team with 3 running offences in a game is penalised by the award of a penalty kick against them ... in our 3 games last time out we conceded two and were awarded one. Its natural to break into a run and for the most part you don't even realise you are doing it until you get pulled up by the ref .... that's the biggest challenge in walking football, to keep your discipline when it comes to not running, and take my word for it most players don't find it easy.

The most common cry on the walking football pitch is 'oh c'mon ref FFS that guy was bloody sprinting' :greengrin

Hiber-nation
04-05-2018, 11:34 AM
Running is being slapped down in the most brutal fashion now that the game has a proper governing body. The Scottish league for example has proper qualified referees and if the last 3 games I played in are anything to go by you will get done every time and that includes running off the ball especially ... twice in one game for me last week :greengrin

The rules are now standardised and a team with 3 running offences in a game is penalised by the award of a penalty kick against them ... in our 3 games last time out we conceded two and were awarded one. Its natural to break into a run and for the most part you don't even realise you are doing it until you get pulled up by the ref .... that's the biggest challenge in walking football, to keep your discipline when it comes to not running, and take my word for it most players don't find it easy.

The most common cry on the walking football pitch is 'oh c'mon ref FFS that guy was bloody sprinting' :greengrin

Yep that was my cry :greengrin

Glad to see that it's getting clamped down on. The games I played were at the pitches at the back of tynie, maybe that put me off as well....

snooky
04-05-2018, 12:04 PM
Good luck with that mate .... playing the ball above head height is a free kick, though you can still score with a diving header :greengrin ...................

I was a heeder man. That rule just killed off 75% of my game. :boo hoo:

lord bunberry
04-05-2018, 02:29 PM
Lost 4lb in week one. I just need to keep it going now.

Moulin Yarns
04-05-2018, 02:53 PM
Lost 4lb in week one. I just need to keep it going now.

Well done. I hope all the tips are helpful.

lord bunberry
04-05-2018, 03:59 PM
Well done. I hope all the tips are helpful.
They certainly have. While I have to tailor things to what works for me, all the helpful advice is welcome.

Killiehibbie
04-05-2018, 05:58 PM
They certainly have. While I have to tailor things to what works for me, all the helpful advice is welcome. How long did it take to put it all on? Stick with the new regime and it will come off in a fraction of the time.

lord bunberry
04-05-2018, 06:28 PM
How long did it take to put it all on? Stick with the new regime and it will come off in a fraction of the time.
It’s been a gradual thing mate since I started the taxis. You’ll know what I mean, it’s so easy to buy food on the go, and most of the time it’s not going to be the healthy option. I’ve started taking food with me that’s healthy and not eating a big meal before going to bed after a night shift.

matty_f
04-05-2018, 06:35 PM
portion control is my weakness.
That, and my knee ligament wen quite a few years ago and i use that as an excuse to avoid running etc. I should probably get back to the docs to get it sorted but the last two times I was in they couldn't find anything.
Doesn't stop it buckling/giving way when i twist/put weight on it.
Anyhoo, exercise is key and I'm conveniently using that as an excuse.

I enjoy cooking at home, but not really adventurous - root veg, beef, chicken, tuna, cheddar. that's about it :greengrin

Syns sound like a good idea. particularly for portion sizes :greengrin

Can you do walking without your knee hurting?

I get shin splints when I run but would be up for a few walks if you wanted a reason to get some light exercise?

Mr White
04-05-2018, 06:40 PM
Can you do walking without your knee hurting?

I get shin splints when I run but would be up for a few walks if you wanted a reason to get some light exercise?

Probably best you're in charge of route selection Matty ... or it'll just turn in to a pub crawl :greengrin

matty_f
04-05-2018, 06:47 PM
Probably best you're in charge of route selection Matty ... or it'll just turn in to a pub crawl :greengrin

That's what I was going for...

Killiehibbie
04-05-2018, 06:51 PM
It’s been a gradual thing mate since I started the taxis. You’ll know what I mean, it’s so easy to buy food on the go, and most of the time it’s not going to be the healthy option. I’ve started taking food with me that’s healthy and not eating a big meal before going to bed after a night shift.Night shift causes enough problems and sitting makes it even worse. I saw myself turning into an old taxi driver and decided to make sure I didn't. A few inches off the waistline and my old suit will do for a few more funerals and maybe my own.

jonty
08-05-2018, 07:06 PM

spoilsport

Onceinawhile
18-05-2018, 08:06 PM
How's everyone getting on? I'm down to 13 '2 which is above where I want to be and a slow rate of weight loss, but there's a downwards trend which is good.

sleeping giant
18-05-2018, 08:55 PM
How's everyone getting on? I'm down to 13 '2 which is above where I want to be and a slow rate of weight loss, but there's a downwards trend which is good.

I'm still plugging away.
Not weighed myself at all but I'm now doing 10k on the treadmill 3 times per week and I can feel it getting easier.
I don't run for the full 10k.

I'm going to weigh myself at the end of June and hoping to have lost at least a stone .

Steve-O
21-05-2018, 03:02 AM

Slow and steady wins the race...losing about 2.5 pounds a week. But, went slightly off the rails this weekend (not majorly) so expecting to have lost less this week.

Now starting to look towards exercise to speed up the process a bit.

LustForLeith
21-05-2018, 06:40 AM
This thread is quite interesting.

I was never that fussed about my weight but I know I need to do something now.

Back in December I was just under 14 stone. Then, due to having loads of booze filled nights out and loads of meals I weighed myself in January and found out I was 14 stone 9!

My aim is simple, to get back under 14 stone and then once I’m there to try and lose more.

I don’t exercise enough. I love to walk but I started a job in December where it’s a ten minute walk from my kids school, before this I was at the Gyle and I’d walk to work from Tollcross sometimes.

I also blame Krispy Kreme for my current wasteline! Back when they opened a shop at the Gyle it seemed to kick start a demand in nearby offices for cakes, donuts and sweets. Since then I’ve got a sweet tooth that I’ve never had before.

A problem for me is I know I’m capable of losing a bit of weight so I’ll lose a few pounds then I’ll go back to some biscuits and crisps with the knowledge if I put it on I’ll lose it again. I know, stupid but it makes sense to me!

Last week I lost four ponds but I reckon I’ve put that on over the weekend. So I’m going to try and eat fruit and walk at least 14,000 steps a day.

Walking football sounds great. Is there any groups that meet up at t weekend or at night during the week? And does it matter if you’re absolutely ***** at football?!

Good luck folks!

MSK
21-05-2018, 07:21 AM
This thread is quite interesting.

I was never that fussed about my weight but I know I need to do something now.

Back in December I was just under 14 stone. Then, due to having loads of booze filled nights out and loads of meals I weighed myself in January and found out I was 14 stone 9!

My aim is simple, to get back under 14 stone and then once I’m there to try and lose more.

I don’t exercise enough. I love to walk but I started a job in December where it’s a ten minute walk from my kids school, before this I was at the Gyle and I’d walk to work from Tollcross sometimes.

I also blame Krispy Kreme for my current wasteline! Back when they opened a shop at the Gyle it seemed to kick start a demand in nearby offices for cakes, donuts and sweets. Since then I’ve got a sweet tooth that I’ve never had before.

A problem for me is I know I’m capable of losing a bit of weight so I’ll lose a few pounds then I’ll go back to some biscuits and crisps with the knowledge if I put it on I’ll lose it again. I know, stupid but it makes sense to me!

Last week I lost four ponds but I reckon I’ve put that on over the weekend. So I’m going to try and eat fruit and walk at least 14,000 steps a day.

Walking football sounds great. Is there any groups that meet up at t weekend or at night during the week? And does it matter if you’re absolutely ***** at football?!

Good luck folks!Try contacting this group for walking football mate, hope link works 👍

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/7520
Walking football, a slower version of the beautiful game!

Walking football is designed to give you the chance to play the game you love but reduce the chances of injury.
With no running and minimal physical contact, Walking Football is a great way to keep fit, learn skills, have fun and socialise at the same time.

The programme is aimed at over 50’s, but players of all ages and abilities welcome.

We’ll help you practice at a level of activity that best suits your needs, making sure you are safe, comfortable and above all else, having fun.

Sessions cost £3.50 per session (1st one is free!) every Wednesday from 10th May, 6pm-7.30pm at Portobello High School, 1 Milton Road, Edinburgh, EH15 3BY.

Register today by phoning Karen on 0131 656 7062 or e-mailing [email protected].

Stranraer
22-05-2018, 03:48 PM
I started my diet this week after weighing myself. I was 17st and I’m only 5ft8. Shocking stuff, but I’m sure that we can inspire each other to better things.

Same here mate, I've got two daft staffies that keep me busy so I'm hoping to lose weight now.

sleeping giant
30-05-2018, 07:17 PM
Been at it a few weeks now and couldn't help but weigh myself. 0.8 of a stone lost so far.
Not only do I feel fitter and can breathe easier , I can also notice a small difference.
This has just motivated me further .

Looking to lose at least another stone and a half.

I think the ideal weight for my height is 78kg .
I'm currently at 90kg.

sleeping giant
30-05-2018, 07:23 PM
Just to add that I have cut out Bacon rolls for breakfast , subways for lunch and cheese on toast for supper.

Now have weetabix , tuna and sweet corn sandwich and normal toast with a normal dinner.

LustForLeith
30-05-2018, 07:25 PM
Try contacting this group for walking football mate, hope link works 👍

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/7520
Walking football, a slower version of the beautiful game!

Walking football is designed to give you the chance to play the game you love but reduce the chances of injury.
With no running and minimal physical contact, Walking Football is a great way to keep fit, learn skills, have fun and socialise at the same time.

The programme is aimed at over 50’s, but players of all ages and abilities welcome.

We’ll help you practice at a level of activity that best suits your needs, making sure you are safe, comfortable and above all else, having fun.

Sessions cost £3.50 per session (1st one is free!) every Wednesday from 10th May, 6pm-7.30pm at Portobello High School, 1 Milton Road, Edinburgh, EH15 3BY.

Register today by phoning Karen on 0131 656 7062 or e-mailing [email protected].

Cheers for that.

I’ve emailed Karen but not heard anything back. Anyone know if it’s still on?

Thanks!!!

Captain Trips
30-05-2018, 10:53 PM
I have started doing HIIT and it's very beneficial without a lot of time spent exercising. Plenty of routines on you tube.

speedy_gonzales
31-05-2018, 07:53 AM
I have started doing HITT and it's very beneficial without a lot of time spent exercising. Plenty of routines on you tube.
Take it easy when you start and build up to it, I seem remember this type of exercise was a contributor to Andrew Marr's stroke that he endured a few years ago.

LustForLeith
02-06-2018, 08:22 AM
First time this year I’m under 14 stone. Delighted! One thing I’ve done is cut down coffee. I’m on three a day max, whereas before I’d be having three an hour!

I wasn’t sleeping that well and put it down to that. Also think if you’re not sleeping well it may affect your weight.

Also eating a lot f mandarins but hate the ones with pips.

Anyway, I’m away to celebrate. What time does the chippy open at?

Alex Trager
02-06-2018, 01:52 PM
Just to add that I have cut out Bacon rolls for breakfast , subways for lunch and cheese on toast for supper.

Now have weetabix , tuna and sweet corn sandwich and normal toast with a normal dinner.

Toast and dinner?

sleeping giant
02-06-2018, 02:26 PM
Toast and dinner?

Nah. Toast at night.

Cut right back on the crap I eat which is difficult as there is plenty crap in cupboards.

Alex Trager
02-06-2018, 02:27 PM
Nah. Toast at night.

Cut right back on the crap I eat which is difficult as there is plenty crap in cupboards.

Aw i was about to say! That would have been a good starting point haha

Sylar
02-06-2018, 02:40 PM
I weighed myself this time last week, and I was 13st 12lbs. Heaviest I've ever been.

This was before going down to a festival in Leeds, where I knew I'd be having a few beers and I was conscious my weight was heading in the one direction...

This week, I've had a few meals that have been just vegetarian - my veg and fruit intake has gone up, and I don't feel I've been wanting garbage. I also cut out beer midweek entirely, and we've not had any takeaway or eaten out at any restaurants. I've also been moving a lot more - forcing myself to get out of my office at lunch, and walk slightly further to get coffee etc.

As a result, weighing myself today, I'm 8lb lighter than this time last week!

overdrive
03-06-2018, 08:45 AM
I’m not calorie counting (have done in the past) and I think I’m eating less and healthier compared previous diets (where I’ve not exercised a lot) and I’m going to the gym 4-6 times a week yet I’m now the heaviest I’ve ever been.

Pretty Boy
03-06-2018, 09:22 AM
I've had a sickness bug for 3 days and lost almost half a stone. I'd recommend it.

Mon Dieu4
03-06-2018, 09:28 AM
I lost two and a half stone last year in about 2 months and have kept it off, was really easy, I just cut out eating nonsense and drinking fizzy juice, main part was doing my food shop first thing on a Saturday morning and buying a weeks worth of food, that way it took away my choice of ah I've nothing in so will get a takeaway, I behave myself mon-fri and don't eat anything crazy but the weekends are fair game to do what I like

Jay
03-06-2018, 09:53 AM
Im stuck, havent lost any weight for ages but havent gained either. May was a heavy month socially which all involved food and cocktails so im lucky not to have gained. Diarys clear for June so no excuses. Ankle injury from Jan still driving me nuts but shouldn't stop me moving.

LustForLeith
03-06-2018, 11:44 AM
I've had a sickness bug for 3 days and lost almost half a stone. I'd recommend it.

I once worked with a guy who said the same about tapeworm...

LustForLeith
06-01-2019, 02:27 PM
Giving this a bump as it’s resolution time!

Determined to loose about five pounds in three weeks. Biggest dive been in years!

hibsbollah
06-01-2019, 03:06 PM
I put on some lumber as well.

I've been experimenting with The Hairy Dieters cook book. Full of good ideas. There's one which is a great substitute for a doner kebab; Cauliflower tandoori. Basically involves mixing tandoori paste with lemon juice and low fat Yog, smearing it all over a load of cauliflower and then baking it. Fantastic in a pitta bread with hummus and more yog and lemon on top and chopped herbs. Dead easy and fat free.

LancashireHibby
06-01-2019, 03:52 PM
Every year I do really well until summer holidays and then a steady decline towards Christmas. This year I managed to put on 10 pounds between December 14th and New Year alone! Need to lose just over a stone to get back to my ‘summer’ weight and ideally a little more besides.

Have been on low carb since Wednesday and will continue to next weekend, just treating it as a bit of a detox. On the booze in Bristol next weekend then I’ll be on strict calorie counting and much more exercise.

LustForLeith
08-01-2019, 06:18 AM
I’ve lost four pounds since the end of last week. Crisps, choloate and bread OUT!

Pretty Boy
08-01-2019, 07:57 AM
I’ve lost four pounds since the end of last week. Crisps, choloate and bread OUT!

I put 4lbs on over Christmas and New year and weighed myself today and I've got it off again.

My marathon training is in full swing now so that helps but it's amazing how much impact cutting out 'just the one pint' or 'just one more chocolate' has. It just seems far harder to say no over the festive period. My big thing is making sure I eat breakfast. If I miss eating in the early morning I tend to go totally overboard at lunch or fall off the wagon mid morning. Porridge and a coffee then a banana as a snack later on makes all the difference in keeping the hunger at bay.

Antifa Hibs
08-01-2019, 08:35 AM
hibsbollah wrote...

I put on some lumber as well.

I've been experimenting with The Hairy Dieters cook book. Full of good ideas. There's one which is a great substitute for a doner kebab; Cauliflower tandoori. Basically involves mixing tandoori paste with lemon juice and low fat Yog, smearing it all over a load of cauliflower and then baking it. Fantastic in a pitta bread with hummus and more yog and lemon on top and chopped herbs. Dead easy and fat free.

It's a good series of books. Been out for a couple of years now so can be picked up for a few quid. Their sweet n sour is very good too and that's coming from someone who hates it from the Chinese or supermarket. There was also a good TV series about it at the same time, intrigued to see if they managed to keep the wieght off. Tom Kerridge also had a book and series out last year, fair play to that lad, literally half the size he used to be. Another book for those looking to cook is Jamie Oliver's 5 Ingredients, simple, relatively cheap and easy to cook recipes. Cooking helped me massively when trying to lose a few pounds.

hibsbollah
08-01-2019, 09:24 AM
It's a good series of books. Been out for a couple of years now so can be picked up for a few quid. Their sweet n sour is very good too and that's coming from someone who hates it from the Chinese or supermarket. There was also a good TV series about it at the same time, intrigued to see if they managed to keep the wieght off. Tom Kerridge also had a book and series out last year, fair play to that lad, literally half the size he used to be. Another book for those looking to cook is Jamie Oliver's 5 Ingredients, simple, relatively cheap and easy to cook recipes. Cooking helped me massively when trying to lose a few pounds.

Their chicken katsu is amazingly tasty as well. Panko breadcrumbs and the katsu sauce has mushrooms carrots and onions blended up with your normal chinese spices. I had no idea it was so simple.

bingo70
09-01-2019, 09:48 AM
There was a programme on TV the other night giving advice to people who want to exercise but find it difficult to find time, stay motivated, can't afford the gym or simply don't enjoy it. Someone might be able to help more than i can as i can't even remember what channel it was on which isn't much help for trying to find it on catch up. (Think it may have been BBC actually but not sure)

Anyway, something i took from it is the 10,000 steps a day challenge being a myth started as a marketing campaign for what i think was the original pedometer company. Obviously if you can do 10,000 a day that's great however it is probably more likely to de-motivate people as it's very difficult to find the time to do that many if you're not someone that naturally enjoys fitness work. Apparently there is greater health benefits to doing three 10 minute brisk walks a day. For me that is more than achievable, walk to work in the morning from my car i'm trying to make that wee bit faster, 10 minutes at lunch time is easy enough and then back to the car after work.

Diet wise i'm not as motivated as i was last year so I think i'd be lying to myself if i thought i was going to be making big changes, still trying to be a bit more sensible though. Brown bread for white bread, drinking more water instead of juice, trying to have veg with my tea every night and not being quite so ridiculous if i want a snack (a biscuit, instead of a packet of biscuits!)

On the subject of bread, does anyone know if the best of both is actually the best of both? I'm not a fan of brown bread at all but the 50/50 stuff is alright, i'm a bit sceptical though if it is actually as good as brown bread or just a bit better than white bread? (Anyone i've spoken too who is into healthy eating and fitness tells me white bread is the work of the devil)

Antifa Hibs
09-01-2019, 11:43 AM
bingo70 wrote...

There was a programme on TV the other night giving advice to people who want to exercise but find it difficult to find time, stay motivated, can't afford the gym or simply don't enjoy it. Someone might be able to help more than i can as i can't even remember what channel it was on which isn't much help for trying to find it on catch up. (Think it may have been BBC actually but not sure)

Anyway, something i took from it is the 10,000 steps a day challenge being a myth started as a marketing campaign for what i think was the original pedometer company. Obviously if you can do 10,000 a day that's great however it is probably more likely to de-motivate people as it's very difficult to find the time to do that many if you're not someone that naturally enjoys fitness work. Apparently there is greater health benefits to doing three 10 minute brisk walks a day. For me that is more than achievable, walk to work in the morning from my car i'm trying to make that wee bit faster, 10 minutes at lunch time is easy enough and then back to the car after work.

Diet wise i'm not as motivated as i was last year so I think i'd be lying to myself if i thought i was going to be making big changes, still trying to be a bit more sensible though. Brown bread for white bread, drinking more water instead of juice, trying to have veg with my tea every night and not being quite so ridiculous if i want a snack (a biscuit, instead of a packet of biscuits!)

On the subject of bread, does anyone know if the best of both is actually the best of both? I'm not a fan of brown bread at all but the 50/50 stuff is alright, i'm a bit sceptical though if it is actually as good as brown bread or just a bit better than white bread? (Anyone i've spoken too who is into healthy eating and fitness tells me white bread is the work of the devil)

Wee bit here on the original pedometer and the 10,000 steps stuff > https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42864061

Regarding brown bread most of the cheaper brown bread is basically white bread with some caramel through it to colour it. You're looking for wholemeal if you're wanting health benefits from it. Tried wholemeal pasta, brown rice, wholemeal bread etc but gave it up. We had two Spanish and 1 French graduates last year joining us, they ate rice, pasta, bread, meats and cheeses everyday. They also ate a ton load of veg, rarely drank juice only water and black coffee and never snacked on any junk food. Meanwhile Agnes from accounts won't eat a bowl of pasta but will have a curly wurly as its only 3 sins from scotlands slimmers :D

hibsbollah wrote...
Their chicken katsu is amazingly tasty as well. Panko breadcrumbs and the katsu sauce has mushrooms carrots and onions blended up with your normal chinese spices. I had no idea it was so simple.

Nice one i'll check it out 8-)

Jay
09-01-2019, 11:48 AM
Sweet potatoes are counted as a syn in scottish slimmers, and avacado but you can eat as many burgers as you want? Well that was the case a couple of years ago anyway

danhibees1875
09-01-2019, 12:34 PM
I think forward planning and enjoying cooking is as big a part as anything. There's absolutely zero temptation for me to grab a takeaway or something "easy" like a pizza on my walk home tonight because I know I have some sea bass defrosted and that I'm making that into some sort of sea bass linguini dish.

Lunch too, I made up 6 portions of salmon/mackeral pasta at the start of the week for my girlfriend and I which I take with a box of mixed fruit. It means I've no reason to go out to get a meal deal/subway/cheese toastie for lunch. If nothing else, it's cheaper!

The exercise bit I've tried to pick up running again. In 2017 I done the Edinburgh marathon after 3 or 4 months of regular running to train for it and also the Aberdeen half (albeit with little training) so I was out and running a lot of miles - about 550 over the year. 2018 was more c.150 and it's mostly becuase I had nothing signed up to train for so it was a lot easier to just not bother going out. Hopefully sign up to a 10k for Spring and something a bit later in the year too. I'm pretty good at walking instead of getting the bus at least, so tend to do a few miles a day around Edinburgh.

overdrive
10-01-2019, 05:40 PM
I’m in diet mode (again) partly due to life changes but mainly due to health.

I had a few health scares over the Xmas period, one being just before Xmas I found out that I have extremely high cholesterol. I’ve been told to go on a diet of very little saturated fat for six months.

There was a programme on last week about the myths around health and fitness and they touched upon cholesterol. They basically said what I’ve been told to do is a complete waste of time for the majority of people with high cholesterol as for most people it is a genetic issue not one through diet and for those people diet changes will have little impact.

I suspect this will be the case with me. My mum and my grandad on that side both have/had extremely high cholesterol that stays/stayed the same irrespective of diet and drugs. Plus, I started calorie counting and noting down how much saturated fat I was consuming over the Xmas period (without dieting) and I don’t actually eat that much saturated fat. I do eat healthy it’s just that I eat a lot. This is what annoys me about the likes of Slimming World and Scottish Slimmers that allow you to eat unlimited amounts of burgers, chicken, etc. If you eat lots of it you will still get fat. Saying that, my cousin has lost 7.5 stone through one of these groups in 11 months.

I’m sticking with the diet though as I’ve also been suffering from mild depression and not-so-mild insomnia so losing weight is meant to help with that. Plus I’ve found myself newly single recently so I better get myself in shape in advance of getting myself back on the market :faf:

I’ve also been going to the gym and I’ve taken up yoga to try to improve my overall fitness/wellbeing.

hibs#1
10-01-2019, 06:26 PM
Don't know if it's been mentioned but the My Fitness Pal is good app to help you track what your eating. Not sure if it's always 100% accurate but it is pretty close gives you a good breakdown of everything.

overdrive
10-01-2019, 07:51 PM
Don't know if it's been mentioned but the My Fitness Pal is good app to help you track what your eating. Not sure if it's always 100% accurate but it is pretty close gives you a good breakdown of everything.

A wee hint with MFP if you are tracking anything other than calories (or if your item isn’t on MFP), instead of just adding the calories as a quick add, choose the “create food” option at the bottom of the search for food screen as you can just copy the nutritional values from the packages. I’ve been using MFP for years on and off and I’ve only just found this out in the past week.

hibs#1
10-01-2019, 08:03 PM
A wee hint with MFP if you are tracking anything other than calories (or if your item isn’t on MFP), instead of just adding the calories as a quick add, choose the “create food” option at the bottom of the search for food screen as you can just copy the nutritional values from the packages. I’ve been using MFP for years on and off and I’ve only just found this out in the past week.

That's a handy tip thanks 👍

Jay
10-01-2019, 08:43 PM
That's a handy tip thanks ��

I use it to store recipes so i dont have to remember the cals/protein etc in each one. Im also lazy and just take pics of the barcode to enter my food on it

Thats when i can find will the power which im really struggling with just now, if i dont find it soon somebody will roll me down a hill at easter!

Rocky
12-01-2019, 11:46 PM
I use it to store recipes so i dont have to remember the cals/protein etc in each one. Im also lazy and just take pics of the barcode to enter my food on it

Thats when i can find will the power which im really struggling with just now, if i dont find it soon somebody will roll me down a hill at easter!

I found out today that you can paste the web address of a recipe into it and it imports all the ingredients as well as the recipe so it can calculate all the nutritional info automatically for you. It does need to be reviewed though - it calculated two cloves of garlic as 900 calories!

Jay
14-01-2019, 09:51 AM
I found out today that you can paste the web address of a recipe into it and it imports all the ingredients as well as the recipe so it can calculate all the nutritional info automatically for you. It does need to be reviewed though - it calculated two cloves of garlic as 900 calories!

Yeah it does need checked. This morning i almost clicked on 400mls skimmed milk @ 420 cals! I worked out my macros as well as i could a few days ago and I think im winning. MFP definitely helps keep me on track, watching those numbers drop drastically for a biscuit i didnt really enjoy isnt fun so im managing not to eat rubbish :greengrin

Rocky
14-01-2019, 11:32 AM
Yeah it does need checked. This morning i almost clicked on 400mls skimmed milk @ 420 cals! I worked out my macros as well as i could a few days ago and I think im winning. MFP definitely helps keep me on track, watching those numbers drop drastically for a biscuit i didnt really enjoy isnt fun so im managing not to eat rubbish :greengrin

Nearly fell off my chair when I saw that shortbread fingers are 100 calories each. It meant I stuck to two instead of sitting demolishing the pack though so that's a win in my book.

Jay
14-01-2019, 11:49 AM
Nearly fell off my chair when I saw that shortbread fingers are 100 calories each. It meant I stuck to two instead of sitting demolishing the pack though so that's a win in my book.

:tee hee: kinda is eh?

Pretty Boy
15-01-2019, 07:52 AM
I'm sure many of you are aware but if not then another great feature of the My Fitness app is you can sync it to other apps that record your running, walking or other exercise and it recalculates your calories required based on that. As an example my daily calories is set at 2130 but I ran 12.5 miles on Sunday so it took that into account and reworked my required calories accordingly.

I use the feature mainly to make sure I'm not at a massive calorie deficit before and after my long runs but people often overestimate how many calories some exercises burn so it's useful for not getting carried away. Again as an example a steady run burns between 100-150 calories a mile so if you run a 5K (a good effort btw) then you are burning somewhere between 300-450 calories give or take. The temptation many have is to then have a pizza or have a slice of cake because they have earned it. The reality is you are probably taking in far more calories from the treat than you have burnt during the running, assuming the rest of your eating and exercise habits remain the same for the day.

That's not meant as a post to advocate denying yourself a treat or a reward for working hard, just a general point about not letting a 'miscalculation' ruin your hard work.

Rocky
15-01-2019, 08:22 AM
I'm sure many of you are aware but if not then another great feature of the My Fitness app is you can sync it to other apps that record your running, walking or other exercise and it recalculates your calories required based on that. As an example my daily calories is set at 2130 but I ran 12.5 miles on Sunday so it took that into account and reworked my required calories accordingly.

I use the feature mainly to make sure I'm not at a massive calorie deficit before and after my long runs but people often overestimate how many calories some exercises burn so it's useful for not getting carried away. Again as an example a steady run burns between 100-150 calories a mile so if you run a 5K (a good effort btw) then you are burning somewhere between 300-450 calories give or take. The temptation many have is to then have a pizza or have a slice of cake because they have earned it. The reality is you are probably taking in far more calories from the treat than you have burnt during the running, assuming the rest of your eating and exercise habits remain the same for the day.

That's not meant as a post to advocate denying yourself a treat or a reward for working hard, just a general point about not letting a 'miscalculation' ruin your hard work.

I've been using that with it linked to fitbit to pull in my calorie burn. Having a bit of a mare with it though as the calorie adjustment coming in from fitbit seems way too high. As a result I've had to set my calorie baseline target in MFP to 490!

Jay
15-01-2019, 09:58 AM
I didnt link my fitbit because im trying to lose weight and dont want my cals increased because ive exercised - is that how it works? I didnt really look into it all that much

Rocky
15-01-2019, 10:53 AM
I didnt link my fitbit because im trying to lose weight and dont want my cals increased because ive exercised - is that how it works? I didnt really look into it all that much

Yeah it does. Based on my plan to lose 2 stones by Easter holidays it worked out I need to take in 1,000 fewer calories a day than I use. My baseline calorie usage (just for being alive even if I stayed in bed all day) is something like 2,100. Exercise then goes on top of that so if I'm having a lazy day that might only go up to 2,500 or so, hence allowance of 1,500. If I get out for exercise that goes up.

Jay
15-01-2019, 11:12 AM
But if you dont increase your intake your calorie deficit is bigger? I know you dont want too big a deficit but is increasing your cals not defeating the purpose?

Rocky
15-01-2019, 11:21 AM
But if you dont increase your intake your calorie deficit is bigger? I know you dont want too big a deficit but is increasing your cals not defeating the purpose?

It depends what your approach is I suppose. If you're trying to lose as much as possible as quickly as possible then the less you take in and the more exercise you do the better (within reason of course). If you've got a target to get to and a date when you want to get there then it's the net calorie deficit that counts. So if you do more exercise you get more to eat (or drink!). I guess it's more sustainable if you're not miserable so knowing that you can have a wine or two in exchange for half hour on cross trainer works better for some people.

Jay
15-01-2019, 11:26 AM
It depends what your approach is I suppose. If you're trying to lose as much as possible as quickly as possible then the less you take in and the more exercise you do the better (within reason of course). If you've got a target to get to and a date when you want to get there then it's the net calorie deficit that counts. So if you do more exercise you get more to eat (or drink!). I guess it's more sustainable if you're not miserable so knowing that you can have a wine or two in exchange for half hour on cross trainer works better for some people.

Yeah im just looking to lose a stone, my docs would say more but i know whats sustainable for me and a stone lighter is fine. I get plenty cals without adding and i dont stick to it rigidly anyway, 100 cals over wont have me reaching for a packet of biscuits in floods of failure tears. Ill.just keep plodding on. I need to sort my exercise out though. Next thing on my list :greengrin

Allant1981
15-01-2019, 08:20 PM

Eating less isn't always the way to lose weight though, as daft as it sounds, you can actually eat more a day than normal and still lose weight, eating properly is a lot more important than the actual excercise

overdrive
16-01-2019, 09:45 PM
I've been using that with it linked to fitbit to pull in my calorie burn. Having a bit of a mare with it though as the calorie adjustment coming in from fitbit seems way too high. As a result I've had to set my calorie baseline target in MFP to 490!

I have my Garmin watch synced to MFP and it is a bit iffy at times. What I do is try to only use a maximum of half of my exercise calories.

I’ve got a friend who I’m connected to on MFP and so I get updates about how he’s doing. I don’t think he quite gets the concept of weighing himself. He seems to be weighing himself twice a day, logging tiny fractions of pounds lost. My other mate is actually his boss and he says the first guy has a strange way of dieting too, e.g. a Tesco meal deal for breakfast in the office followed by two more Tesco meal deals at lunchtime.

Rocky
16-01-2019, 10:27 PM
I have my Garmin watch synced to MFP and it is a bit iffy at times. What I do is try to only use a maximum of half of my exercise calories.

I’ve got a friend who I’m connected to on MFP and so I get updates about how he’s doing. I don’t think he quite gets the concept of weighing himself. He seems to be weighing himself twice a day, logging tiny fractions of pounds lost. My other mate is actually his boss and he says the first guy has a strange way of dieting too, e.g. a Tesco meal deal for breakfast in the office followed by two more Tesco meal deals at lunchtime.

My weight logging will look a bit like that just now too because I bought a set of Wi-Fi scales that sync automatically to MFP. Because I don't store them flat I tend to think that the first weighing won't be accurate as it needs to settle in, so I tend to have another go to see if there's any difference. To be fair it doesn't seem to make much odds so I'll just go with the first reading.

I like the sound of his diet though.

Tobias Funke
17-01-2019, 12:10 PM
Eating less isn't always the way to lose weight though, as daft as it sounds, you can actually eat more a day than normal and still lose weight, eating properly is a lot more important than the actual excercise

Can't agree with this more, I see exercise as an added bonus but its all about calorie intake. I've had periods of cutting out rubbish but doing little or no exercise and the weight still drops off me.

Antifa Hibs
17-01-2019, 12:18 PM
^ Yep you can't out run a bad diet...

For me its pretty simple, cut out the rubbish, lower my bevvy intake and add some exercise. I'm not going to start having a juice for breakfast, half a rivita for lunch and a slimfast for tea. Doesn't work, might in the short-term but for long term can't be sustainable surely? Long term life style changes, no processed foods or takeaways (or limited at least) and good wholesome homemade meals.

Are Briton's quite unique in there diets that things such as sweets and crisps during the day and takeaways at night aren't a treat anymore but the norm? Are French teens just as likely to nip into Le Asda and walk out with 12 doughnuts as their British counterparts? Are Germans like scroll through Just-Eat 1/2/3 times a week like some adults over here?

Hamish
19-01-2019, 08:26 AM
'This is what annoys me about the likes of Slimming World and Scottish Slimmers that allow you to eat unlimited amounts of burgers, chicken, etc.'

Not strictly true. Yes you can eat as much meat as you want but all the red meat must have all visible fat trimmed away and mince must've less than 5% fat. Sausages and burgers the same. They call it food optimising. I have lost 2 1/2 stone at Slimming World in about 15 months. Not a vast amount but I am now at a weight I am fairly comfortable with.
Very little alcohol consumed in this time which definitely helps.

Moulin Yarns
19-01-2019, 09:35 AM
Just replaced old bathroom scales with new ones that measure fat %, water % and BMI and will weigh myself every Saturday morning and keep a record (Who doesn't love a spreadsheet :wink:) Hopefully seeing the scales go down will be the motivation I need to lose a stone.

Squealing pig
19-01-2019, 11:41 PM
Starting exante diet Monday keep u posted need to lose a stone

Tornadoes70
20-01-2019, 12:47 AM
Can't agree with this more, I see exercise as an added bonus but its all about calorie intake. I've had periods of cutting out rubbish but doing little or no exercise and the weight still drops off me.

Agree with this.

Its all about cutting out the snacking between meals. No more and no less to be honest albeit relaxed excercise is always a good thing.

For some folk though weight gain or loss can be crucially related to other bodily medical functions as in hormone activity and/or metabolism with a simple blood check carried out by a doctor to view vital internal body balance and checks.

Eat healthily and cut out the snacks and within months the belt will slacken off a bit.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Moulin Yarns
20-01-2019, 08:57 AM
agree with this.

Its all about cutting out the snacking between meals. No more and no less to be honest albeit relaxed excercise is always a good thing.

For some folk though weight gain or loss can be crucially related to other bodily medical functions as in hormone activity and/or metabolism with a simple blood check carried out by a doctor to view vital internal body balance and checks.

Eat healthily and cut out the snacks and within months the belt will slacken off a bit.

Mon the cabbage soup diet !!!

ftfy

Squealing pig
28-01-2019, 08:39 AM
Starting exante diet Monday keep u posted need to lose a stone

8lbs loss first week so guess I recommend

overdrive
28-01-2019, 07:09 PM
I’ve lost 12.5 pounds since 2nd January.

RyeSloan
28-01-2019, 07:57 PM
Just replaced old bathroom scales with new ones that measure fat %, water % and BMI and will weigh myself every Saturday morning and keep a record (Who doesn't love a spreadsheet :wink:) Hopefully seeing the scales go down will be the motivation I need to lose a stone.

Honest question...how do your scales measure such things? Or is it really just an estimate from you putting in your height and build based on your weight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibsbollah
28-01-2019, 08:12 PM
I’ve lost 12.5 pounds since 2nd January.

I'm really hoping you don't have some sort of parasitic worm.

If not, congratulations, you're doing better than me. I think I may have lost 2lbs but this could be due to not wearing baffies while getting on the scales anymore.

overdrive
28-01-2019, 09:01 PM
I'm really hoping you don't have some sort of parasitic worm.

If not, congratulations, you're doing better than me. I think I may have lost 2lbs but this could be due to not wearing baffies while getting on the scales anymore.

Haha, no parasitic worm, just strict restriction of calories, 3-4 gym sessions a week and 2-3 yoga classes.

Moulin Yarns
28-01-2019, 09:13 PM
Honest question...how do your scales measure such things? Or is it really just an estimate from you putting in your height and build based on your weight?

You stand on metal strips which put a tiny electric charge and the resistance is measured.

RyeSloan
28-01-2019, 09:45 PM
You stand on metal strips which put a tiny electric charge and the resistance is measured.

Seriously? Wow. I need to get myself a set of them! [emoji106][emoji106]

Jay
28-01-2019, 09:53 PM
Ive gained 2.5 pounds :rolleyes: January was better socially than expected. :greengrin

overdrive
28-01-2019, 09:54 PM
Seriously? Wow. I need to get myself a set of them! [emoji106][emoji106]

You can buy hand held ones too. I have a hand held one which measures body fat, body water and body muscle composition and if you put in your height, weight, sex and age it calculates your BMI and how many calories you should be eating.

If you read up about these devices (both handheld and in the scales), the consensus is they are not very accurate.

RyeSloan
29-01-2019, 07:39 AM
You can buy hand held ones too. I have a hand held one which measures body fat, body water and body muscle composition and if you put in your height, weight, sex and age it calculates your BMI and how many calories you should be eating.

If you read up about these devices (both handheld and in the scales), the consensus is they are not very accurate.

Yeah I suppose they are only going to be an indication rather than a precise measurement but the trend is your friend with these things none the less [emoji736]

overdrive
29-01-2019, 10:15 AM
Yeah I suppose they are only going to be an indication rather than a precise measurement but the trend is your friend with these things none the less [emoji736]

I don’t think you can even trust the trend. I’ve not tried it but apparently if you use it, go away drink a glass of water, do it again a few minutes later and you will get a vastly different body fat %, some suggest as much as 10%

RyeSloan
29-01-2019, 10:43 AM
I don’t think you can even trust the trend. I’ve not tried it but apparently if you use it, go away drink a glass of water, do it again a few minutes later and you will get a vastly different body fat %, some suggest as much as 10%

Ha ha OK that’s that idea crushed then! [emoji38]

Although you better tell Moulin to get a refund now [emoji23]

Pretty Boy
29-01-2019, 11:01 AM
6lbs off since the beginning of January, nearly 2 stone overall. Weekly running mileage is up to 35 miles on average and my resting heart rate is down to 57bpm. Marathon is 10 weeks away and ideally I want to shift another 8-10lbs by about 3 weeks out.

It's amazing how quickly your body adapts to a new way of eating. For me the biggest change has been not drinking as much. I used to knock back 10-15 pints every weekend and all the bad food that generally goes with that. I still have a drink from time to time but even over Christmas I was pretty sensible; it's only when you cut right back that you realise how crap it can make you feel and look.

Bangkok Hibby
29-01-2019, 02:55 PM

Congratulations 😁 I can also recommend Dysentry (1 stone in two days)
Or for a less brutal, more measured approach, Hepatitis E (2 stones in 3 weeks) 👍🏻

Moulin Yarns
29-01-2019, 09:10 PM
Ha ha OK that’s that idea crushed then! [emoji38]

Although you better tell Moulin to get a refund now [emoji23]

We needed new scales anyway. I agree with the possibility of inaccurate reading but it is better than not measuring at the same time and day each week.

frazeHFC
30-01-2019, 06:58 PM
Anyone on here who knows me will know I'm a skinny dingle, but I am unbelievably unfit for someone my age. At the stage I don't even agree to play 5 aside because I can't run for more than a minute without just about passing out.

After almost 26 years decided to join a gym. Thought I'd hate it but after just a few weeks I'm certainly feeling a lot better, and after a wee 20/30 minute gym session I'm in a much better/positive mood, so as well as the physical I'm realising the mental benefits too.

hibs#1
31-01-2019, 02:11 PM
Anyone on here who knows me will know I'm a skinny dingle, but I am unbelievably unfit for someone my age. At the stage I don't even agree to play 5 aside because I can't run for more than a minute without just about passing out.

After almost 26 years decided to join a gym. Thought I'd hate it but after just a few weeks I'm certainly feeling a lot better, and after a wee 20/30 minute gym session I'm in a much better/positive mood, so as well as the physical I'm realising the mental benefits too.

The mental benefits of exercise are huge trick is finding something you enjoy. I lift weights personally.

silverhibee
31-01-2019, 07:43 PM
Congratulations 😁 I can also recommend Dysentry (1 stone in two days)
Or for a less brutal, more measured approach, Hepatitis E (2 stones in 3 weeks) 👍🏻

Think i need a good bout of Hepatitis E then. :greengrin

DH1875
01-02-2019, 08:04 PM
I'm struggling. Have put on just under 2 stone since summer. My problem isn't what I eat, pretty much eat the same as back then. It's a total lack of exercise. Been working 12 hour shifts, 6 days a week and spending Sundays with the wife and kids so no time for the gym.

bigwheel
01-02-2019, 08:05 PM
I'm struggling. Have put on just under 2 stone since summer. My problem isn't what I eat, pretty much eat the same as back then. It's a total lack of exercise. Been working 12 hour shifts, 6 days a week and spending Sundays with the wife and kids so no time for the gym.

That’s tough Buddy. Any chance of building into your commute , walking, running or cycling ??

DH1875
02-02-2019, 04:00 PM
That’s tough Buddy. Any chance of building into your commute , walking, running or cycling ??

Nah, I travel all over the country for work. Left the house at 7 this morning and still working just now. Won't get home till after 9. No physical element to it either as pretty much sitting on my archie all day. Starting to do my head in.

overdrive
03-02-2019, 09:29 AM
That’s me now lost a stone in January.

Norrieg
12-02-2019, 12:42 PM
Keto Diet and Walking ----- Lost 3 Stone in 6 months:na na:http://www.hibs.net/images/icons/icon14.png

Rocky
12-02-2019, 03:10 PM
That’s me now lost a stone in January.

Me too. Technically I've lost a lot more than that but it seems I put 3 pounds back on every weekend...

Jay
03-03-2019, 12:21 PM
Hows everybody doing?

Im counting cals, checking macros and exercising and not lost a pound. Giving up the will to live with it to be honest. Only blessing is that my fitness has greatly improved again. Signed up for Rough Runner in Aug to give me a focus and make me keep going.

LancashireHibby
03-03-2019, 08:37 PM
15 pounds lost since January. Two more pounds until I equal my lowest ever adult weight (which I managed latelast year...for a week or two).

Current weight is 192 pounds - my ‘dream’ weight is 181 pounds which I never thought achievable when I started to look at my weight in July 2014 at 255 pounds but might well be in sight in time for going to Cyprus at the end of June.

Planning on two solid weeks of low carb (less than 50g a day) from tomorrow until March 16th when I’m going to get about a bazillion pints of lager to get me through watching Bolton inevitably lose at Wigan.

Hibbyradge
03-03-2019, 09:34 PM
Hows everybody doing?

Im counting cals, checking macros and exercising and not lost a pound. Giving up the will to live with it to be honest. Only blessing is that my fitness has greatly improved again. Signed up for Rough Runner in Aug to give me a focus and make me keep going.

Keep at it.

https://trustyspotter.com/blog/whoosh-effect/

Jay
03-03-2019, 09:49 PM
Keep at it.

Thanks. Interesting article. I'll update if I ever get a woosh but im definitely squishy :greengrin

Hibbyradge
03-03-2019, 10:19 PM
Thanks. Interesting article. I'll update if I ever get a woosh but im definitely squishy :greengrin

:tee hee:

Rocky
03-03-2019, 10:56 PM
Keep at it.

Nice one, I skim read that and what I've taken from it is that alcohol makes you lose weight (I'm guessing all the other words in the article were superfluous). Going to try that as I definitely seem to have hit a bit of a plateau. 16 pounds off since January although most of that was in January.

'Mon the whoosh

jonty
04-03-2019, 11:20 AM
Keep at it.

That explains why I put weight on at the weekend :greengrin

overdrive
04-03-2019, 04:14 PM
I’ve lost 22 pounds since the start of January. My weight loss is definitely slowing down though.

Interestingly given the woosh article, the last week was my biggest loss in a while and I had a cheat meal of an Indian mixed grill and more booze than I’ve had in quite a while after the match on Saturday. I weighed myself on Sunday expecting to have put on weight but I had lost weight.

Jay
04-03-2019, 04:34 PM
Its my sons 18th today so we are having chinese and birthday cake tonight. If I dont wake up half a stone lighter tomorrow I wont be pleased! :greengrin

Hibbyradge
04-03-2019, 09:30 PM
Its my sons 18th today so we are having chinese and birthday cake tonight. If I dont wake up half a stone lighter tomorrow I wont be pleased! :greengrin

:hilarious

Moulin Yarns
05-03-2019, 02:11 PM
Started back to the habit of setting the alarm and going for a walk. About 2 hours and 8.75km this morning before breakfast. Rest of the day was spent converting the garage into my man shed.

Captain Trips
11-03-2019, 10:38 PM
I have lost 13lbs since middle of Jan. Looking to get to mid 11st. Gym has helped I would say.

IWasThere2016
12-03-2019, 11:11 AM
I'm being good this week.

Soon going to up the exercise and improve the diet.. AGAIN!

Weight falls off me when I apply myself but I cannot sustain interest/willpower.

I am a weak man.

Onceinawhile
12-03-2019, 12:52 PM
I'm being good this week.

Soon going to up the exercise and improve the diet.. AGAIN!

Weight falls off me when I apply myself but I cannot sustain interest/willpower.

I am a weak man.

Ditto. Keep meaning to restart the diet after the Christmas period, but there's always an excuse not to.

Need to drop about 21 pounds. I can do it, I just can't be bothered starting.

LancashireHibby
18-05-2019, 09:11 AM
Done it. Actually done it. Goal weight achieved.

Now weigh 181.2 pounds so 5 stone 3.8 pounds gone since June 2014 or to put it another way, 28.9% of my body weight. 1 stone 12 since Christmas, 7 pounds of which has been since Easter. All hail MyFitnessPal.

danhibees1875
18-05-2019, 09:43 AM

Now weigh 181.2 pounds so 5 stone 3.8 pounds gone since June 2014 or to put it another way, 28.9% of my body weight. 1 stone 12 since Christmas, 7 pounds of which has been since Easter. All hail MyFitnessPal.

Well done. Those are really impressive numbers. :thumbsup:

Dalianwanda
18-05-2019, 10:05 AM
I've gone down from 15stone at Christmas to 13 1/2 stone this week. I wasnt trying to lose any weight but delighted it have as I can see the difference (I dont really feel any different). I run & swim daily & have a good diet with nothing processed so nothing changed there. The only thing I've changed is stopped drinking..Every single day I'd have either one or two pints & just stopping that seems to have resulted in the weight loss. Im 6'2 so my weight has never really changed for as long as I can remember. To have such a dramaitc drop just from passing on the guinness has been quite an eye opener.

Dalianwanda
18-05-2019, 10:06 AM

Thats amazing, very well done!

Speedy
18-05-2019, 10:18 AM
I've gone down from 15stone at Christmas to 13 1/2 stone this week. I wasnt trying to lose any weight but delighted it have as I can see the difference (I dont really feel any different). I run & swim daily & have a good diet with nothing processed so nothing changed there. The only thing I've changed is stopped drinking..Every single day I'd have either one or two pints & just stopping that seems to have resulted in the weight loss. Im 6'2 so my weight has never really changed for as long as I can remember. To have such a dramaitc drop just from passing on the guinness has been quite an eye opener.

That's pretty light for 6'2".

I'm 6foot and aiming for anything under 14stone. 15 is normally the ceiling that kicks me into gear, got up to about 15 and a half and now at 14 and a half.

Again, just using my fitness pal, cutting out sweets and fizzy drinks and trying to exercise a bit more.

Speedy
18-05-2019, 10:19 AM

Superb stuff, well done.

LancashireHibby
18-05-2019, 10:50 AM
Thanks, folks. It's now hit home that I bought the Hibs away top in the sale this week and the XL (large in anyone else's money) is actually a little baggy for me! Not bad when in days gone by the old baggy Le Coq tops were a little snug in XXL!

Dalianwanda
18-05-2019, 10:52 AM

I'm 6foot and aiming for anything under 14stone. 15 is normally the ceiling that kicks me into gear, got up to about 15 and a half and now at 14 and a half.

Again, just using my fitness pal, cutting out sweets and fizzy drinks and trying to exercise a bit more.

I would have thought it was a bit light before i lost it. I suppose it depends on body type although I certainly don’t look skinny...BMI seems to say it’s spot on (how ever much you read into that)..Similar to yourself I’ve just made wee changes (that seemed like a massive commitment in my head actually was fine and now is the norm)..

Pretty Boy
18-05-2019, 11:27 AM

The upper end of the 'normal' BMI for 6'2" is 13 stone 13lbs so in theory 13 and a half stone is about spot on.

Tbh I don't really pay much attention to BMI. I'm 6'3" and if I dip below 14 stone I just look gaunt. My weight always sits a bit higher as well because I have a lot of muscle mass in my legs.

Smartie
18-05-2019, 11:56 AM
I really need to sort myself out.

Long hours working, eating late at night, little exercise, grabbing far too much rubbish on the run.

Anyone got any golden tips on getting started and fitting good food and exercise around a fairly punishing work schedule?

jonty
18-05-2019, 12:14 PM

Long hours working, eating late at night, little exercise, grabbing far too much rubbish on the run.

Anyone got any golden tips on getting started and fitting good food and exercise around a fairly punishing work schedule?

This coupled with a dodgy knee (five a sides, 20 years ago. the docs claim theres nothing wrong, but it gives way when i twist on it and i collapse.) and I've steadily increased to 220lbs.
Although some might say i don't look it (heavy bones :wink:) at 5'7" its excessive.

Would a decent physio be able to pinpoint the knee problem?

Well done LH - that's an excellent achievement :thumbsup:

Dalianwanda
18-05-2019, 02:10 PM

Get a nutri bullet/ninja so there’s no excuses about time for healthy breakfast..5mins to stuff it in and blend (drink on the go) Drink more water.
With exercise just see what you can fit in to start..Eg i do sets of 40 press ups when ever i remember throughout the day..Have my trainers & trunks in car so i can do one if traveling..Be kind and patient with yourself & notice small changes in fitness & form & pat yourself on the back.

Pedantic_Hibee
18-05-2019, 02:33 PM
I started getting up early. As in 4.30/5am. Gave me a couple of hours to eat right, think straight and pack in a walk or a run. Always results in a far more productive day at work and come 9pm, I can hit the pillow and fall asleep easily to an audio meditation.

Constantly drinking circa 3 or 4 litres of water per day, eating healthier, doing some dumbbell workouts, taking Vitamin D supplements, getting a Fitbit to spur you on to do more walking and be more active.

I’ve even been for a few sunbeds to look and feel a little more alive. The gaunt, haunted grey look wasn’t cutting it for me 😂

Pedantic_Hibee
18-05-2019, 02:35 PM
Most importantly, above all of the aforementioned, thinking positively works wonders. Constantly tell yourself, “I am enough, I am wonderful, I am healthy”. Positive affirmations. “I would love to be smoke free” is a mantra I churned out late February for a few days. I haven’t bought a packet of fags since February 26th and I was 15/20 a day for two decades.

Pedantic_Hibee
18-05-2019, 02:38 PM
Oh...and put the phone down. Delete the apps that harass you with notifications and breaking news that has you scarpering for your phone every ten minutes. Makes you less compelled to sit on your arse on the sofa scrolling through mindless rubbish and looking at everyone else’s lives where they project images of a perfect life that is completely divorced from their reality. They’ll make you feel inadequate and not worthy when in reality, they’re arguably fighting the same battles you are.

calumhibee1
18-05-2019, 09:55 PM
I’ve started doing fast 5-10k runs near enough every day. Got 5k down to about 18 mins and 10k down to just below 40. Do something in that area near enough every day and basically stopped eating the same quantities I used to. On a bad day I could have a bacon roll for breakfast, a Subway/Greggs etc for lunch with a can of juice, Chuck a pizza in the oven for tea, go to the shops, smash through a whole bag of giant buttons or bitsa wispa etc and probably tan another couple of cans of juice. If I was passing a McDonald’s I could even happily stop off and get a double cheeseburger aswell.

I’ve started having toast for breakfast, soup for lunch and whatever I want for tea but basically controlling the portions. Tried to remove fizzy juice as much as I can but if I do have it I have the 0 calories sort of stuff and I stopped buying the big bags of sweets and allow myself one sweet a night at most. I was never fat but I’m 5ft9 and had got up to 83kg. After 6 weeks of running and basically just reigning in what I was eating I’m down to 74kg and about 14% body fat and its still dropping off pretty easy. I reckon that my natural weight will probably be somewhere around mid to high 60s.

I’m lucky in that I’m naturally slim and I had probably about maxed out where I could have got to with the weight I put on balanced with the fact I still play football etc but how fast it has came off has made me realise how much food I was eating unnecessarily. I was probably demolishing about 3000+ calories a day where as I’m now down to about 1500 and never feel particularly hungry.

overdrive
18-05-2019, 11:24 PM
2 stone lost since the first week of January - 15 stone 5 lbs to 13 stone 5 lbs. I lost the first stone in less than a month. It’s taken me from the end of January until today to lose the second stone despite dieting and exercising harder than that first month.

I’m just under 5ft 9 and in my mid-30s for the record.

You can tell the difference between my head and rib cage. My belly actually looks bigger than what it was.

Moulin Yarns
19-05-2019, 07:57 AM
A bout of flu knocked 4lbs off last week, I wouldn't recommend it :wink:

weecounty hibby
19-05-2019, 08:30 AM
Went out running this morning after reading this thread. I'm 50, 6', and 16st 6lbs. I have been using my knackered ankles, knees and hips as an excuse but as I had sat on my arse all day yesterday and had a pizza watching the cup final I thought I'd better get my finger out. I have stayed about this weight most of my adult life but it was not too bad as I played rugby and was training most days as well. Now that I only very occasionally play and have stopped training I am turning into a right fat *******. Thanks for the inspiration guys, I'll keep you posted on how it goes
Going on the piss after the game today probably won't help my new found fitness regime though!

Onceinawhile
19-05-2019, 09:20 AM
Starting again this week from 14 stone 2. Want to get back down to around 12 7.

First run in 7 months done, but the legs were knackered for two days after - I only ran 4k!

Pretty Boy
19-05-2019, 09:36 AM
If anyone would be interested I recently completed a short Jog Scotland course on coaching the couch to 5K programme and would be happy to lead a weekly session for anyone interested on here. It's a 3 or 4 run a week programme, the 1st run of the week is led and then repeated individually 2 or 3 times more before the same pattern the following week and so on.

I started running using the couch to 5K programme on the NHS website just over 2 years ago. Since then I've ran countless 5Ks, 5 10Ks, 2 half marathons, completed my 1st marathon last month and have signed up for an ultra in July. It really is a brilliant foundation for building a solid platform of fitness.

Mr Grieves
25-05-2019, 11:52 AM
If anyone would be interested I recently completed a short Jog Scotland course on coaching the couch to 5K programme and would be happy to lead a weekly session for anyone interested on here. It's a 3 or 4 run a week programme, the 1st run of the week is led and then repeated individually 2 or 3 times more before the same pattern the following week and so on.

I started running using the couch to 5K programme on the NHS website just over 2 years ago. Since then I've ran countless 5Ks, 5 10Ks, 2 half marathons, completed my 1st marathon last month and have signed up for an ultra in July. It really is a brilliant foundation for building a solid platform of fitness.

I just ran my first 10K today in the Edinburgh marathon festival. I started training early this year using the C25K app then a 5K to 10K app which are both good. What your describing does sound better though, doing it with other people does help motivate. Have you got any tips for the step up to half marathon distance? And has anybody got any diet tips? All this running means I'm absolutely ravenous all the time and I haven't lost any weight(5 feet 7 and 14 stone) :greengrin

Pretty Boy
25-05-2019, 12:20 PM
I just ran my first 10K today in the Edinburgh marathon festival. I started training early this year using the C25K app then a 5K to 10K app which are both good. What your describing does sound better though, doing it with other people does help motivate. Have you got any tips for the step up to half marathon distance? And has anybody got any diet tips? All this running means I'm absolutely ravenous all the time and I haven't lost any weight(5 feet 7 and 14 stone) :greengrin

Well done on the 10K. I was quite jealous seeing everyone on Facebook and Twitter with their medals and T shirts.

There's a couple of schools of thought on the step up from the middle distances to long distance running. Galen Rupp, who was Mo Farahs training partner for many years, said the training was essentially the same as a 10K with the addition of the weekly 'long run'. He has run a 2.06 marathon and a 59 minute half so that seems sound advice. Others suggest you need to run longer distances more often. My own opinion is it boils down to what works for you. There's loads of excellent, free training plans out there but you really need to approach them with an openness to flexibility. I last ran a half in December and my training was focused on 2 shorter runs midweek (3-4 miles early on increasing to 5 as my training peaked), a longer run of 6-7 miles, a weekend long run starting at 8 miles and peaking at 14 and then a slow recovery run of 2-3 miles the day after the long run. It's really about increasing mileage steadily so as to avoid both injury and loss of motivation.

I can relate to the hunger as well. My training this week was 3 miles recovery on Monday, rest Tuesday, 10 miles Wednesday, 5 miles hill repeats Thursday, gym Friday, 12 miles this morning and 18 miles tomorrow. I try to make sure I get a good breakfast in me (porridge with honey and a slice of toast is the go to at the monent), a banana or similar mid morning, lunch incorporating a lot of salad stuff, maybe some chicken or cold meat and some good fats from an avocado or similar chucked in, if I have a big run day then dinner will be carb heavy, if I'm resting I tend to have a decent chunk of protein for recovery but eat quite a light dinner then a bit fruit or some nuts for supper. Loads of water as well. Sometimes the trick is to eat more but eat better if that makes sense. Reach for an apple rather than crisps. I've also cut right back on the drink which has cut a lot of calories from my intake.

It's a lot of trial and error and finding out what works for you.

CallumLaidlaw
25-05-2019, 01:38 PM
Some great stories on here. I have fluctuated over the years. At 18 years old I was very active and with no fat on me, weighed 17 and a half stone. So naturally heavy anyway. But have fluctuated between 24 and 19 stone over the last 15 years. Now I’m turning 38 this year I felt I need to try and get the weight off and keep it off before I hit 40. As of mid March I was 338lbs. As of last Tuesday I was down to 303lbs. Still got around 45lbs to lose to get to a decent weight but considering I’m going on holiday in 4 weeks, I’ve at least got myself in better shape for that. I used to drink a fair bit on a Friday and Saturday night. Have now just changed that to when I’m going out, which is maybe once a month. Healthier eating and am now going to the gym 4/5 times a week. Always said I didn’t have time but now simply make time. Annoys me that allowed myself to get back in this place as was down to 273lbs in December 2015, but piled it back on over the next 3 years. The challenge this time will be getting that happy medium to keep it off.

Mr Grieves
25-05-2019, 09:54 PM
Well done on the 10K. I was quite jealous seeing everyone on Facebook and Twitter with their medals and T shirts.

There's a couple of schools of thought on the step up from the middle distances to long distance running. Galen Rupp, who was Mo Farahs training partner for many years, said the training was essentially the same as a 10K with the addition of the weekly 'long run'. He has run a 2.06 marathon and a 59 minute half so that seems sound advice. Others suggest you need to run longer distances more often. My own opinion is it boils down to what works for you. There's loads of excellent, free training plans out there but you really need to approach them with an openness to flexibility. I last ran a half in December and my training was focused on 2 shorter runs midweek (3-4 miles early on increasing to 5 as my training peaked), a longer run of 6-7 miles, a weekend long run starting at 8 miles and peaking at 14 and then a slow recovery run of 2-3 miles the day after the long run. It's really about increasing mileage steadily so as to avoid both injury and loss of motivation.

I can relate to the hunger as well. My training this week was 3 miles recovery on Monday, rest Tuesday, 10 miles Wednesday, 5 miles hill repeats Thursday, gym Friday, 12 miles this morning and 18 miles tomorrow. I try to make sure I get a good breakfast in me (porridge with honey and a slice of toast is the go to at the monent), a banana or similar mid morning, lunch incorporating a lot of salad stuff, maybe some chicken or cold meat and some good fats from an avocado or similar chucked in, if I have a big run day then dinner will be carb heavy, if I'm resting I tend to have a decent chunk of protein for recovery but eat quite a light dinner then a bit fruit or some nuts for supper. Loads of water as well. Sometimes the trick is to eat more but eat better if that makes sense. Reach for an apple rather than crisps. I've also cut right back on the drink which has cut a lot of calories from my intake.

It's a lot of trial and error and finding out what works for you.

Cheers man.

I've signed up for the Scottish half marathon in September and their recommended training plan is much as you described, with a few shorter training runs, a couple of cross training sessions and one longer run each week.

Unfortunatrly, I'm a greedy ******* and I'll not reach my full running potential until I cut down the ***** food. I feel it in my knees and feet just know.

Jay
25-05-2019, 10:05 PM
Ive gained half a stone. Totally rocking this weightloss stuff :rolleyes:

MSK
26-05-2019, 06:15 AM
Ive gained half a stone. Totally rocking this weightloss stuff :rolleyes:Im a human yo-yo, also a stubborn selfish erse, I know the health implications, diabetes (Im borderline) probably fatty liver and associated problems, I see it every day at work and that should fire off warning signs but I have the ah **** it I will change it tomorrow attitude. If I dont flick that motivation switch soon then there probably wont be a tomorrow 😲

RoslinInstHibby
30-05-2019, 03:34 PM
lost 9lbs in the past 3 weeks, have to admit i am not really seeing much of a difference :(

LancashireHibby
30-05-2019, 07:00 PM
lost 9lbs in the past 3 weeks, have to admit i am not really seeing much of a difference :(
Try on some clothes that were previously a bit tight and you’ll notice, and get a big boost in the process.

calumhibee1
30-05-2019, 07:25 PM
Try on some clothes that were previously a bit tight and you’ll notice, and get a big boost in the process.

Definitely. From the 9kg I’ve lost I can see a bit of a difference standing side on but that’s about it. I tried on a few shirts though and had to wear a suit that fitted me perfectly 6 months ago and realised that there has been significant change in my measurements.

Pedantic_Hibee
31-05-2019, 08:09 PM
I’m bucking the trend a bit here but I’m looking to put the weight on. Was 13 stone 9lbs back in late February and I’m not at 14 stone 4 lbs. Thanks to being active and using weights however I look bigger but leaner if that makes sense.

Strange feeling to like what I see in the mirror...well, from neck down to waist anyway 😂

RoslinInstHibby
05-06-2019, 02:50 PM
now lost 13lbs in 4 weeks and finally see a change! :)

GreenNWhiteArmy
05-06-2019, 09:36 PM
I'd lost about 2 stone without even really noticing or trying. Gone from 16 and a half to 14 and a half.

Still snacking a bit but getting an hour's walk a day coupled with ditching the easy oven meals or jars of sauces and cooking meals from scratch has helped a lot.

Looking to shift maybe another half stone then bulk up the muscle

weecounty hibby
06-06-2019, 03:24 PM
My scales must be broken. For about two/three weeks now I have hardly eaten any meat, being pretty healthy, pulses, rice etc. Have done a bit of running and trying to do 100 sit ups each day. ****ing scales do not seem to want to go below 16st 6lbs. Every morning, the same weight!

CallumLaidlaw
06-06-2019, 04:37 PM
Had lost 37.5lbs in 12 weeks but put 2.5lbs back on this week. Was fully expected as I was only able to manage 2 gym sessions instead of 5 and had 2 big drinking days after not drinking for the previous month. Got 2.5 weeks til my holiday and wanna shift half a stone. Then it’s 2 weeks all inclusive so will fully expect to put about 10lbs back on [emoji85]
Just need to get back on it afterwards

Rocky
06-06-2019, 06:33 PM
My scales must be broken. For about two/three weeks now I have hardly eaten any meat, being pretty healthy, pulses, rice etc. Have done a bit of running and trying to do 100 sit ups each day. ****ing scales do not seem to want to go below 16st 6lbs. Every morning, the same weight!

Not sure on the exact numbers but you might be surprised at the relative calories - rice and pulses have loads, lean meat doesn't really.

lord bunberry
06-06-2019, 07:29 PM
Not sure on the exact numbers but you might be surprised at the relative calories - rice and pulses have loads, lean meat doesn't really.
That’s true. You should always go for brown rice and pasta.

Onceinawhile
06-06-2019, 08:18 PM
now lost 13lbs in 4 weeks and finally see a change! :)

Well done. 👍

5 pounds down in 3 weeks for me. Had 3 barbecues in the last two weekends including drinking at 2 of them.

Need another 16 pounds off, but it'll come.

Onceinawhile
06-06-2019, 08:22 PM
Had lost 37.5lbs in 12 weeks but put 2.5lbs back on this week. Was fully expected as I was only able to manage 2 gym sessions instead of 5 and had 2 big drinking days after not drinking for the previous month. Got 2.5 weeks til my holiday and wanna shift half a stone. Then it’s 2 weeks all inclusive so will fully expect to put about 10lbs back on [emoji85]
Just need to get back on it afterwards

Near enough three stone. Good job 👍

weecounty hibby
06-06-2019, 08:54 PM

Yeah, I know. I have been pretty careful with how much I'm eating as well as what I'm eating. The meat eating stuff is also my small attempt at helping climate change as well. I am hoping that it will all just come off suddenly

Dalianwanda
07-06-2019, 05:34 AM
Have you tried measuring yourself & do you notice any difference there. Scales aren’t a good measure of progress.

CallumLaidlaw
07-06-2019, 05:46 AM
Near enough three stone. Good job [emoji106]

Cheers. Need to lose the same again really which will be the harder part. But that’s for after the holiday [emoji23]

matty_f
01-07-2019, 09:47 AM
Looking at using the couch to 5k app to start shifting some timber (after a recommendation). I'm not a great runner usually so I'm really going to have to get my head in the right place for this.

Pretty Boy
01-07-2019, 09:53 AM
Looking at using the couch to 5k app to start shifting some timber (after a recommendation). I'm not a great runner usually so I'm really going to have to get my head in the right place for this.

Couch to 5K is brilliant.

I've been out with a group for the last 5 weeks and it's amazing to see people who turned up on the 1st night saying 'I can't run' now managing 8 minutes non stop running and enjoying themselves whilst doing it. If you follow the plan and pace sensibly then it 100% works.

Jay
01-07-2019, 11:52 AM

Couch to 5k is a great app. Go for it.

Sylar
01-07-2019, 12:31 PM
If you're using Couch to 5k, stick to flat routes where you can - I started by doing a forest train near my house that winds up through the Clyde Valley and I was gubbed, because I was doing time of run + elevation change and was buggered after the first run!

I've had a bad few weeks - friend's wedding, holiday away for a long weekend in London - so I'm back at it again as of tomorrow. I had shifted 1 stone, but it's probably mostly gone back on again!

Danderhall Hibs
01-07-2019, 04:10 PM
Couch to 5K is brilliant.

I've been out with a group for the last 5 weeks and it's amazing to see people who turned up on the 1st night saying 'I can't run' now managing 8 minutes non stop running and enjoying themselves whilst doing it. If you follow the plan and pace sensibly then it 100% works.

I always thought I didn’t enjoy running but have been doing this for 6 weeks now (just completed the first 25 min run) and am really enjoying it. Looking forward to the next run and shifting a bit of belly at the same time.

LancashireHibby
01-07-2019, 07:15 PM
I always thought I didn’t enjoy running but have been doing this for 6 weeks now (just completed the first 25 min run) and am really enjoying it. Looking forward to the next run and shifting a bit of belly at the same time.
First started running about 14-16 months ago having lost about three stone from dieting and exercise bike but had hit a bit of a plateau. Considered myself a failure because I was goosed after about 7-8 minutes but I’d doubled that within a fortnight and then some. Always helpful having some decent tunes along the way, and there’s a tremendous sense of achievement once you setting little goals to achieve, for example last Tuesday I ran along the guided busway from Leigh to Salford last week which is about 9k but with an elevation of 180 feet.

Still wouldn’t consider myself a runner, yet for the second holiday in a row I’ve brought my trainers with me and gone for a jog every couple of days. That said, it’s 30 degrees in Paphos by 9am with 65% humidity so I’m only managing 20-25 minutes at the most, but it helps me feel better before a day of eating and boozing!

Danderhall Hibs
01-07-2019, 07:32 PM
First started running about 14-16 months ago having lost about three stone from dieting and exercise bike but had hit a bit of a plateau. Considered myself a failure because I was goosed after about 7-8 minutes but I’d doubled that within a fortnight and then some. Always helpful having some decent tunes along the way, and there’s a tremendous sense of achievement once you setting little goals to achieve, for example last Tuesday I ran along the guided busway from Leigh to Salford last week which is about 9k but with an elevation of 180 feet.

Still wouldn’t consider myself a runner, yet for the second holiday in a row I’ve brought my trainers with me and gone for a jog every couple of days. That said, it’s 30 degrees in Paphos by 9am with 65% humidity so I’m only managing 20-25 minutes at the most, but it helps me feel better before a day of eating and boozing!

Well done mate. I’m away next week and planning to take my trainers with me.

LancashireHibby
01-07-2019, 09:11 PM
Well done mate. I’m away next week and planning to take my trainers with me.
I used to take the mick out of people who went running on holiday but it’s a great way of exploring the resort, and you don’t feel half as guilty about the booze and food to follow. Hopefully it’ll be reflected on my post-holiday weighing, although I must admit previously I’ve always done low carb for a week or two before leaving and then beat myself up for putting 8-9 pounds whereas this time I’m hopeful it might not be quite so drastic.

lord bunberry
07-01-2020, 12:56 PM
It’s that time of year when the desire to lose weight is probably at its strongest. I’m absolutely determined this time and I’ve bought a couple of cook books. I got one called A pinch of nom- everyday light and Tom Kerridge weight loss for good. The first one has 100 dishes all under 400 calories and the second is a bit more elaborate. The meals so far have all been good and relatively quick to prepare. It’s meant buying lots of new ingredients, but most of them will last a while.
This is the year :greengrin

CallumLaidlaw
07-01-2020, 01:02 PM
It’s that time of year when the desire to lose weight is probably at its strongest. I’m absolutely determined this time and I’ve bought a couple of cook books. I got one called A pinch of nom- everyday light and Tom Kerridge weight loss for good. The first one has 100 dishes all under 400 calories and the second is a bit more elaborate. The meals so far have all been good and relatively quick to prepare. It’s meant buying lots of new ingredients, but most of them will last a while.

I’m fairly pleased with my starting point today.

From Mid March to Christmas Eve, I lost 73lbs, sitting at 265.4lbs. Over Christmas and new year I managed 4 gym sessions and this morning weighed in at 272.8lbs. So a 7.4lb gain, but I’m sure I’ll get that off fairly quickly as will be back to 4-5 gym sessions a week, healthier eating and less booze. Target is to get to around 238lbs so I’ll have lost 100lbs in total but my gym work has a bit of weights in there so if I can get more toned too then I’ll be happy. Once I get under 260lbs that’ll be the lightest I’ve been in about 18 years.

Jay
07-01-2020, 02:18 PM

I hear The pinch on Nom book.is very good..

My weightloss and exercise took a back seat due to ill health last year but im well on the road to recovery and started thinking about my eating again . exercise will have to wait but hopefully not for too much longer . Ive a mountain to climb again fitness wise but ill do it.

Hibby Bairn
07-01-2020, 02:36 PM
Absolutely swear by The Body Coach books and exercises (Joe Wicks). You can get tons on you tube for free.

Incredible results and you eats loads. Never feel hungry. And the food is brilliant. Been following it loosely for a year now. I don’t do absolutely everything and still have blow outs. But it has changed the way I think about nutrition, health and how I look after myself.

No calorie counting. Just good, fresh food. And just 20-30 mins exercise 5 days a week in your living room.

Pretty Boy
07-01-2020, 02:57 PM
I always pile weight on over Christmas. When it comes to beer and chocolate I have an all or nothing personality so if they are plentiful I'll eat and drink mountains. Come this time of year when they are finished then I can lose weight pretty quickly again.

I'm running the Highland Fling ultra in April and would ideally like to be sub 12 stone for that which is a big ask but doable. I'm currently on overnight oats with fresh fruit for breakfast, a MyProtein meal replacement shake (200 calories) for lunch and something veggie and clean for dinner. Snacks are fruit or nuts and nothing for drinking other than water. No alcohol, no crisps and no sweets. Taking in less than 1800 calories a day. I'll be doing back to back long runs on Saturdays and Sundays so will up my eating accordingly on those days but still want to be at a deficit to keep losing weight for as long as possible.

It's not really the healthiest way to do it but it works for quick loss. Once I get the Christmas excess off I'll be a bit more sensible about things.

CallumLaidlaw
07-01-2020, 03:30 PM
I always pile weight on over Christmas. When it comes to beer and chocolate I have an all or nothing personality so if they are plentiful I'll eat and drink mountains. Come this time of year when they are finished then I can lose weight pretty quickly again.

I'm running the Highland Fling ultra in April and would ideally like to be sub 12 stone for that which is a big ask but doable. I'm currently on overnight oats with fresh fruit for breakfast, a MyProtein meal replacement shake (200 calories) for lunch and something veggie and clean for dinner. Snacks are fruit or nuts and nothing for drinking other than water. No alcohol, no crisps and no sweets. Taking in less than 1800 calories a day. I'll be doing back to back long runs on Saturdays and Sundays so will up my eating accordingly on those days but still want to be at a deficit to keep losing weight for as long as possible.

It's not really the healthiest way to do it but it works for quick loss. Once I get the Christmas excess off I'll be a bit more sensible about things.

Incredibly disciplined PB, fair play. I have to treat myself regularly to keep me going otherwise I’d just fall off the wagon completely and pile it all back on

lord bunberry
07-01-2020, 05:22 PM
I hear The pinch on Nom book.is very good..

My weightloss and exercise took a back seat due to ill health last year but im well on the road to recovery and started thinking about my eating again . exercise will have to wait but hopefully not for too much longer . Ive a mountain to climb again fitness wise but ill do it.
The book is really good. I’ve got the second book, but apparently the first book is just as good. I made popcorn chicken tonight as well as turkey meatballs with chipotle sauce for tomorrow.

Hibbyradge
07-01-2020, 05:30 PM

What's overnight oats?

Scouse Hibee
07-01-2020, 05:33 PM
What's overnight oats?

I use equal amounts of muesli and milk or sometimes yoghurt left soaking overnight and add a dollop of jam if I fancy a bit of sweetness before eating.

Pretty Boy
07-01-2020, 05:37 PM
What's overnight oats?

Oats soaked overnight in milk, or any liquid really, to soften rather than cooking them.

Jones28
07-01-2020, 05:37 PM
I’m seriously struggling to motivate myself to get out and go to the gym/swimming/5 asides at the moment. Been doing some wee home workouts with a pull up/press up bar but I really need to get back in the habit of going out and spending an hour in the gym.

Planning on going to the gym tonight but my latest excuse is “it’s windy”.

Pretty Boy
07-01-2020, 05:41 PM
I’m seriously struggling to motivate myself to get out and go to the gym/swimming/5 asides at the moment. Been doing some wee home workouts with a pull up/press up bar but I really need to get back in the habit of going out and spending an hour in the gym.

Planning on going to the gym tonight but my latest excuse is “it’s windy”.

I struggle with the gym at this time of year because it's so busy.

I used to work shifts so could go to the gym either in the very early hours of the morning before work or the very early hours after work depending on the shift pattern. It was quiet and I enjoyed it. Now I'm on the 9 to 5 I find myself hating being in the gym at half 7 in the evening when it's mobbed. The January deals and New Year resolutions just increase that.

On the plus side as those people drop away there are usually some good deals to be had in March to May.

Jay
07-01-2020, 05:45 PM
What's overnight oats?

Rank rotten :greengrin

Jay
07-01-2020, 05:46 PM
The book is really good. I’ve got the second book, but apparently the first book is just as good. I made popcorn chicken tonight as well as turkey meatballs with chipotle sauce for tomorrow.

Sounds good. I must have a look at it. They will be in the charity shops in feb :greengrin

Sylar
07-01-2020, 06:27 PM
I fully recommend the lurgy/flu diet. Im now a full stone lighter than i was pre-Christmas.

Jones28
07-01-2020, 07:00 PM

I used to work shifts so could go to the gym either in the very early hours of the morning before work or the very early hours after work depending on the shift pattern. It was quiet and I enjoyed it. Now I'm on the 9 to 5 I find myself hating being in the gym at half 7 in the evening when it's mobbed. The January deals and New Year resolutions just increase that.

On the plus side as those people drop away there are usually some good deals to be had in March to May.

I was in the the same boat as you, sometimes getting to the gym for 5/6 in the morning after a night shift.

I guess it’s just a case of biting the bullet, a combination of harvest dragging, a nasty back injury and then Christmas time scuppered my fitness ambitions last year.

I’m here at the moment and can confirm it’s hoaching.

speedy_gonzales
07-01-2020, 08:43 PM
What's overnight oats?

Is it similar to Bircher muesli???

JeMeSouviens
08-01-2020, 08:43 AM
Is it similar to Bircher muesli???

Looks like it: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/overnight-oats

Personally I prefer my oats porridgified using semi skimmed in the micro with a large pinch of salt and a spoon of brown sugar. Milk? Sugar? Microwave? My Granny will be birling in her grave. :greengrin

Hibbyradge
08-01-2020, 09:19 AM
Oats soaked overnight in milk, or any liquid really, to soften rather than cooking them.

Thanks.

CallumLaidlaw
08-01-2020, 10:57 AM

I turned up on Monday night expecting it to be heaving but was eerily quiet. Then last night was absolutely rammed [emoji849]

I told myself I still had to go knowing it was gonna be busy as otherwise I’d get out of the habit. Just gonna have to deal with it for the next few weeks

Dmas
08-01-2020, 04:32 PM
Anyone recommend a gym plan/routine?

Started back in October and just tried to pick up where I left off running and cardio and I’m really not enjoying it anymore, so I want to get into weights etc so I can mix it up a bit more

danhibees1875
08-01-2020, 05:15 PM

Started back in October and just tried to pick up where I left off running and cardio and I’m really not enjoying it anymore, so I want to get into weights etc so I can mix it up a bit more

That probably depends what you're looking to get out of it I think.

I'm no expert, but a lot of the programmes for strength training revolve around a core 3 of squats, deadlifts, and bench press.

Dmas
08-01-2020, 05:55 PM
That probably depends what you're looking to get out of it I think.

I'm no expert, but a lot of the programmes for strength training revolve around a core 3 of squats, deadlifts, and bench press.

Aye I’ve been googling for weeks and it’s a minefield, il probably have to ask someone at the gym but a) I’m a wimp and b) can not afford the prices they charge for a PT

speedy_gonzales
08-01-2020, 09:39 PM
Re gym:
If the gym has classes, then activities similar to body-pump are good for general cardio and strength training. I'm fairly poor at going to the gym and sometimes quit exercises when I'm not entirely engaged, however, I've never yet walked out of a class. One you start, there's something about the collective that drags you over the line.
If no classes are available, then you need a gym buddy, preferably someone with similar outcome expectations. Training partners are good to encourage you to squeeze out that next rep, and you do likewise for them.
If you can't find a partner, then you need a program. An absolute minimum of 3 days a week, breaking it up to arms/shoulders, back, legs.
For each visit, at least 5 exercises working on just one of those muscle groups with 3/4 sets, 8-12 reps. Cardio to warm up/down and on 2 other days of the week an intensive cardio sesh on a treadmill/bike/elliptical trainer.
There are plenty apps out there with free training programs and clear concise guides on how to carry out the basic exercises be it free-weights or cable/resistance machines.

All that being said, I quit the gym a few months back as is done it for a couple of years straight with satisfactory returns initially but I settled in to a routine that wasn't giving me any gains. Last summer I started to get back in to running (after 30 years) and got in to doing 5 mile runs a few nights a week. I actually prefer a low carb diet and a few runs compared to working hard at the gym and "feeding" my body.

Jones28
09-01-2020, 09:11 AM

It’s a nightmare, but it depends on what you want to get out of it? Stronger means a whole different range of things and could range from lean and highly toned or going for size.

I alternate my weeks, have a week of strength which means using weights at the higher end of my one rep maximum (the most you can lift as a one off), going for lower repetitions and higher weight.

The following week do lower weights with higher reps.

I’d recommend you go to a trainer and get yourself a training programme. It’s important that you’re getting things like form and appropriate exercises for what you want.

Goal setting is a good starting point.

Gym hero pro is a good app for you to have a look at.

Dmas
09-01-2020, 09:48 AM
It’s a nightmare, but it depends on what you want to get out of it? Stronger means a whole different range of things and could range from lean and highly toned or going for size.

I alternate my weeks, have a week of strength which means using weights at the higher end of my one rep maximum (the most you can lift as a one off), going for lower repetitions and higher weight.

The following week do lower weights with higher reps.

I’d recommend you go to a trainer and get yourself a training programme. It’s important that you’re getting things like form and appropriate exercises for what you want.

Goal setting is a good starting point.

Gym hero pro is a good app for you to have a look at.

Cheers! it’s Lean I’d prefer to be honest, I used to run a lot mostly half marathons and 1 full, I would like to get back into it so anything too big would hamper that, my issue right now is I’m starting right from 0 again and just cardio is boring the life out me, my gym at the moment is busy classes are full because I’m their at opening there’s not much choice anyway so for 3 months I’ve just been trying to get my 5k times down and cycling throwing in some rowing the occasional swim, I’m needing more to keep me occupied, il make an app with a trainer tomorrow see what they offer

Dmas
09-01-2020, 09:51 AM
Re gym:
If the gym has classes, then activities similar to body-pump are good for general cardio and strength training. I'm fairly poor at going to the gym and sometimes quit exercises when I'm not entirely engaged, however, I've never yet walked out of a class. One you start, there's something about the collective that drags you over the line.
If no classes are available, then you need a gym buddy, preferably someone with similar outcome expectations. Training partners are good to encourage you to squeeze out that next rep, and you do likewise for them.
If you can't find a partner, then you need a program. An absolute minimum of 3 days a week, breaking it up to arms/shoulders, back, legs.
For each visit, at least 5 exercises working on just one of those muscle groups with 3/4 sets, 8-12 reps. Cardio to warm up/down and on 2 other days of the week an intensive cardio sesh on a treadmill/bike/elliptical trainer.
There are plenty apps out there with free training programs and clear concise guides on how to carry out the basic exercises be it free-weights or cable/resistance machines.

All that being said, I quit the gym a few months back as is done it for a couple of years straight with satisfactory returns initially but I settled in to a routine that wasn't giving me any gains. Last summer I started to get back in to running (after 30 years) and got in to doing 5 mile runs a few nights a week. I actually prefer a low carb diet and a few runs compared to working hard at the gym and "feeding" my body.

Yeah I get what your saying, 5/6 years ago I was big into cardio, running spin class etc didn’t even bother looking at the weights area to be honest I think my attitudes changed now I’ve not really got the time to be running to get to where I was so I’m looking at other ways

Onceinawhile
25-10-2020, 09:44 PM
Apologies for bumping such an old thread.

How is everyone getting on? I realised last month that since roughly this time last year, I'd put on almost 4 stone (12 7 to 16 2) and have now started trying to fix it.

Down at about 15 7 just now, but a long way to go!

Speedy
26-10-2020, 06:34 AM
Tip from me is to try non alcoholic beer. Not saying all the time but if it's just one or two during the week then it's likely the taste you're after rather than the alcohol. Lots of good non alcoholic ones these days and they are much lower in calories.

CallumLaidlaw
26-10-2020, 06:36 AM
Apologies for bumping such an old thread.

How is everyone getting on? I realised last month that since roughly this time last year, I'd put on almost 4 stone (12 7 to 16 2) and have now started trying to fix it.

Down at about 15 7 just now, but a long way to go!

So after my 4.5 stone weight loss I managed to keep it off for the first 3 months of lockdown, but put nearly 2 stone back on recently. The purchase of a PerfectDraft beer pump hasn’t helped [emoji23]
Anyway, after the semi on Sunday I’m going on a month detox to sort myself out for Christmas.

matty_f
26-10-2020, 08:08 AM
So after my 4.5 stone weight loss I managed to keep it off for the first 3 months of lockdown, but put nearly 2 stone back on recently. The purchase of a PerfectDraft beer pump hasn’t helped [emoji23]
Anyway, after the semi on Sunday I’m going on a month detox to sort myself out for Christmas.

My lockdown experience has been the same, this time last year I was at the gym every day and eating healthily, not really eating any crap like crisps and chocolate etc.

Am heavier now than I was when I started on that health kick, have totally gotten out of the routine of regular exercise and it's not unknown to scran a share bag of chocolate with the Mrs while binge watching a box set in the evenings.

Coincidentally, me and the Mrs are both "back on it" today so will see how we get on!

Since90+2
26-10-2020, 08:21 AM
Tip from me is to try non alcoholic beer. Not saying all the time but if it's just one or two during the week then it's likely the taste you're after rather than the alcohol. Lots of good non alcoholic ones these days and they are much lower in calories.

Unless you are consuming lots of lager than swapping in some non alcoholic drinks will make a negligible impact on weight (if any at all).

For people wanting to lose weight id recommend 3 simple things:

Cut out sugar. If you are taking in alot of sugar at the moment this will likely have the biggest impact.

Try intermittent eating and only eat in a 6 hour window each day.

Excercise is good for mental well-being but actually has a small overall impact on weight loss. Your diet is absolutely the key and unless you are burning a huge amount of calories every day with excercise it won't make of a difference.

Northernhibee
26-10-2020, 10:32 AM
I’m a terrible emotional eater and have made a breakthrough this year by following a simple rule - if I have a craving for junk food I have to make it from scratch. Whether it’s KFC, McDonalds, brownies, doughnuts - must be made from what’s in the cupboard.

If you can be bothered making it then it’s a craving worth satiating. If it’s not then it’s wanting to eat out of boredom/unhappiness/stress and should be ignored.

It works very well.

Pretty Boy
26-10-2020, 11:15 AM
I made what I thought was a throwaway comment about running on Twitter last week and ended up being interviewed for a book someone was writing. Fame at last:greengrin

Back in February I was running a huge mileage every week training for my 3rd ultra marathon. The last weekend of the month saw me complete a long run of 30 miles with over 1300ft of elevation. Then that race was cancelled, then another went, then another and suddenly there was nothing to aim for. I signed up for the rearranged Edinburgh marathon that was set for this month but my training was half hearted because I guessed, correctly as it turned out, it wasn't happening. I generally run alone but always enjoyed my Saturday morning at Parkrun. I wasn't someone who attended religiously every week but I was there frequently and the social aspect was huge. It was little more than a few nods and exchanging a few words but it was a steady interaction and hearing people talk about races they had done, applauding people who reached one of the milestones or whatever created a bit of a sense of community.

I was asked to explain how the loss of motivation and loss of the social aspect had affected me. I've not put on a huge amount of weight, just under a stone, but I've gone from the fittest I have ever been to struggling to run a half arsed sub 30 5K. It's a mixture of physical and mental. The book is exploring the impact of the cancellation of Parkrun on physical and mental health. In England it was being officially 'prescribed' for those with certain mental health conditions as well as those with type 2 diabetes or obesity and the like. There are various studies that paint a pretty grim picture.

I think a loss of routine and a loss of discipline is to be expected when something so unexpected happens. No one could have imagined we would have a year like this. Unfortunately the open ended nature of it means I'm struggling to get out and run with an eye on next years races. Two I had planned to run have already cancelled so I think next year, or the early part of it, is already a write off.

jonty
26-10-2020, 11:21 AM
At the start of 'working from home' (ie March) I started a slow increase in weight.
I made an effort and managed to shift a stone and a half.
Half a stone has crept back on now and need to sort it out.
I dont drink in the house, so it takeways because im too knackered/cant be bothered to cook and any sweets around the house.