20-04-2018, 09:00 AM
I think they needed it.

Billy Whizz
20-04-2018, 09:00 AM
Who’ll get it?

Captain Trips
20-04-2018, 09:05 AM
Who’ll get it?

I think they will have already got the person in mind probably Wenger was heavily involved. I will go for somebody not quite on the radar from abroad.

we are hibs
20-04-2018, 09:06 AM
Is he retiring or just leaving arsenal? No doubt there will be deluded Huns demanding they appoint him and give him 60 million to spend.

Coults1875
20-04-2018, 09:06 AM
Who’ll get it?

Henry :confused:

Captain Trips
20-04-2018, 09:07 AM
Maybe Joachim Low.

hibbie02
20-04-2018, 09:08 AM
Ex Barca manager in the frame or Patrick Viera.

bod
20-04-2018, 09:08 AM
I think they will have already got the person in mind probably Wenger was heavily involved. I will go for somebody not quite on the radar from abroad.

Vieira?

Captain Trips
20-04-2018, 09:14 AM
I will go for Low after the World Cup.

Stevie Reid
20-04-2018, 09:25 AM
I've never really warmed to him but there's no doubt that his best teams over the years played some amazing football, and he brought some phenomenal players to England.

His best teams were absolutely as hard as nails also, but that's been missing for the last decade at least. Seemed too stubborn for his own good at times too, but given his profile when he arrived at Arsenal, he hasn't half made an impact.

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-04-2018, 09:27 AM
Hope that Wenger makes a total break from the club and gives the new man a fresh page. Following on from a dynasty will be tough.

Hibee87
20-04-2018, 09:28 AM
Rafa Benitez maybe?

JimBHibees
20-04-2018, 09:30 AM
Hope that Wenger makes a total break from the club and gives the new man a fresh page. Following on from a dynasty will be tough.

Agree will be difficult for new guy if Arsene is up stairs watching every game unless of course it is one of his protege's in charge e.g Henry/Viera

tamig
20-04-2018, 09:31 AM
Wenger and David Dein were a dream team. It’s never quite been the same since Dein departed and Arsene has picked up a lot of the “upstairs” types of work.

Northernhibee
20-04-2018, 09:31 AM
Said it for years, best thing for the club. A very good manager made less and less effective by his own stubborn nature.

Rodgers IMO.

Austinho
20-04-2018, 09:32 AM
Thomas Tuchel is the bookies favourite. PSG owner came out and stated their interest in him a few days ago, so could be that Arsenal are trying to move quickly for him.

johnbc70
20-04-2018, 09:43 AM
Great coach but should have left a few years ago. Can't help but feel his legacy will be slightly tarnished by hanging around those extra few years.

calumhibee1
20-04-2018, 09:43 AM
Luis Enrique would be my choice if I was making it.

1van Sprou7e
20-04-2018, 09:46 AM
Said it for years, best thing for the club. A very good manager made less and less effective by his own stubborn nature.

Rodgers IMO.

Hope not, they'll take Lennon off our hands

Baader
20-04-2018, 10:04 AM
Talk that Tuchel had been lined up a while ago. Its right that Wenger goes, if a little overdue and the fans get to pay tribute to Arsenal's greatest ever manager.

DarlingtonHibee
20-04-2018, 10:11 AM
Hope not, they'll take Lennon off our hands

Alan Brazil has been mentioning Neil for Ipswich a few times this week.

Dan Sarf
20-04-2018, 10:27 AM
Warburton waiting in the wings?

With respect, obviously.

Scorrie
20-04-2018, 10:30 AM
If only Joey Barton had hung on a couple of days before taking the Fleetwood job...

jacomo
20-04-2018, 10:30 AM

Rodgers IMO.

Looking forward to hearing Rodgers deny any interest in the job whilst simultaneously desperately talking up his credentials.

In his own head, he is the outstanding candidate for the job.

erskine-hibby
20-04-2018, 10:40 AM
Can't see them going for Rodgers, will want a bigger name.

Pete
20-04-2018, 10:50 AM
His team of the late nineties/early noughties was superb with Petit, Veiera, Henry etc...but I hope he’s remembered for more than that.

The type of football Arsenal brought to the league was fantastic. While they didn’t win anything, his team from about ten years ago with Fabregas, Arshavin etc...played some of the most attractive football I’ve seen in England, probably only second to the present Man City when it comes to style and entertainment.

22 years? Bloody hell time flies. 😳

bingo70
20-04-2018, 10:53 AM
Alan Brazil has been mentioning Neil for Ipswich a few times this week.

As a suggestion that he would be a good appointment for them or is he saying there is genuine interest in him from Ipswich?

Pretty Boy
20-04-2018, 11:00 AM
Correct decision but taken a year too late. He would have left a hero if he had taken his bow on the Wembley turf with the FA Cup, the vitriol directed at him by some this season has been quite sad although it does have to be accepted football fans are passionate and fickle.

The thing I always found strange about Wenger was he created the near perfect team. The seasons leading up to the Invincbles season and the season itself Arsenal were frighteningly good. They had an amazing balance of steel, defensive solidity and attacking flair. They were both great to watch and hard to beat. He then almost tore the whole thing up and started again, obviously losing Viera played a part in that but from then on Arsenal could still be good to watch but they were soft and fragile and he never seemed to address that.

There aren't many managers who leave a lasting legacy not just at their club but on football in the country as a whole and I think Wenger is one of that group. He was very different from what English football knew when he arrived here 20 odd years ago and other managers adapted to compete with him. Even Sir Alex famously backed down on his 'there will never be a sport scientist at Old trafford' comment when Arsenal started beating United to trophies.

Callyballybe
20-04-2018, 11:10 AM
Rodgers will be no where near the job.

I'd like to see them go for Simeone, but if not him then Low or Tuchel.

I know Simeone is Athletico through and through, but Arsenal will be able to offer him a bigger financial package, it's just whether they can sell him on the project.

stokesmessiah
20-04-2018, 11:15 AM
Great coach but should have left a few years ago. Can't help but feel his legacy will be slightly tarnished by hanging around those extra few years.

This

stoneyburn hibs
20-04-2018, 11:30 AM
If it's Rodgers, then Lennon to Celtic and Ross to us. Purely speculation but not beyond the realms.

JimBHibees
20-04-2018, 11:33 AM
If it's Rodgers, then Lennon to Celtic and Ross to us. Purely speculation but not beyond the realms.

Would be staggered if Rodgers got it.

Lendo
20-04-2018, 11:49 AM
Rodgers is currently 8/1. Really can't see it myself.

J-C
20-04-2018, 11:56 AM
Wenger prided himself on polishing turds so to speak, coaching a young player into a great, this hasn't happened for a while and his comment about top 4 in the league as a bench mark wasn't his cleverest one. He refused to spend the money when it was there and neglected to do anything about a weak defence and never replaced Viera as the holding mid. He should've went about 4 seasons ago when Man City and Spurs started to become contenders and he assumed he'd always get his magic top 4 spot

Wilson
20-04-2018, 11:58 AM

The most unlikely could end up being Ross to us. He has already turned down Barnsley and Dundee during his tenure. Doesn't strike me as being in a rush to move.

I'm unsure of his contract situation but if there is any chance of compo then St Mirren will hold out for a decent wedge - they are keen to keep hold of him. I could see us being priced out in that case.

Michael
20-04-2018, 12:01 PM
The most unlikely could end up being Ross to us. He has already turned down Barnsley and Dundee during his tenure. Doesn't strike me as being in a rush to move.

I'm unsure if his contract situation but if there is any chance of compo then St Mirren will hold out for a decent wedge - they are keen to keep hold of him. I could see us being priced out in that case.

Just use the compo we'd get for Lennon in that scenario.

Billy Whizz
20-04-2018, 12:03 PM
Would be staggered if Rodgers got it.

Me too
Think Arsenal will want want someone who will reunite the club. Don’t think Brendan is that man

Zazu62
20-04-2018, 12:05 PM
Tuchel

jacomo
20-04-2018, 12:06 PM
Correct decision but taken a year too late. He would have left a hero if he had taken his bow on the Wembley turf with the FA Cup, the vitriol directed at him by some this season has been quite sad although it does have to be accepted football fans are passionate and fickle.

The thing I always found strange about Wenger was he created the near perfect team. The seasons leading up to the Invincbles season and the season itself Arsenal were frighteningly good. They had an amazing balance of steel, defensive solidity and attacking flair. They were both great to watch and hard to beat. He then almost tore the whole thing up and started again, obviously losing Viera played a part in that but from then on Arsenal could still be good to watch but they were soft and fragile and he never seemed to address that.

There aren't many managers who leave a lasting legacy not just at their club but on football in the country as a whole and I think Wenger is one of that group. He was very different from what English football knew when he arrived here 20 odd years ago and other managers adapted to compete with him. Even Sir Alex famously backed down on his 'there will never be a sport scientist at Old trafford' comment when Arsenal started beating United to trophies.

If he wins the Europa League I imagine all will be forgiven.

Wilson
20-04-2018, 12:08 PM
Just use the compo we'd get for Lennon in that scenario.

Easy come easy go? I doubt it.

The club will still look for value. Jack Ross isn't the only manager out there and just because we'd have to pay to get him doesn't guarantee he'd be a success.

Hypothetical. Like I say, I don't know his contractual situation.

I expect Lennon to be here for the foreseeable.

Oscar T Grouch
20-04-2018, 12:16 PM
Next Arsenal manager odds (via Betfair)

10/3 Patrick Vieira

6/1 Carlo Ancelotti

6/1 Thomas Tuchel

7/1 Brendan Rodgers

15/2 Leonardo Jardim

8/1 Mikel Arteta

8/1 Joachim Low

8/1 Massimiliano Allegri

8/1 Rafael Benitez

10/1 Thierry Henry

10/1 Lucien Favre

11/1 Dennis Bergkamp

14/1 Diego Simeone

16/1 Sean Dyche

16/1 Luis Enrique

yonder1875
20-04-2018, 12:17 PM
A great career all things considered, which plateaud after the move to the new stadium.

Arsene Wenger's Arsenal at Highbury were the first team out with Hibs that I loved to watch and even bought a few of their strips as a kid.

It'll be interesting to see who they get in, can imagine Arsenal would appeal to almost any manager in the world.

tamig
20-04-2018, 12:22 PM

10/3 Patrick Vieira

6/1 Carlo Ancelotti

6/1 Thomas Tuchel

7/1 Brendan Rodgers

15/2 Leonardo Jardim

8/1 Mikel Arteta

8/1 Joachim Low

8/1 Massimiliano Allegri

8/1 Rafael Benitez

10/1 Thierry Henry

10/1 Lucien Favre

11/1 Dennis Bergkamp

14/1 Diego Simeone

16/1 Sean Dyche

16/1 Luis Enrique
Where’s Butcher?

Michael
20-04-2018, 12:25 PM
If have a feeling Arsenal's issues are more at board level than with the manager. I can't see them competing for league titles for a long time.

lyonhibs
20-04-2018, 12:58 PM
One who won't properly be appreciated until he's gone. Let's wait and see how successful his successor is.

I'd bet my left bollock he'll be nowhere near as succesfull and transfomative as Wenger has been.

A legend.

SirDavidsNapper
20-04-2018, 01:03 PM
Looking forward to hearing Rodgers deny any interest in the job whilst simultaneously desperately talking up his credentials.

In his own head, he is the outstanding candidate for the job.

And a wonderful human being

MWHIBBIES
20-04-2018, 01:13 PM
If have a feeling Arsenal's issues are more at board level than with the manager. I can't see them competing for league titles for a long time.

No big team in England is ever more than 2years away from a title challenge. Arsenal are a huge club who aren't going anywhere

theonlywayisup
20-04-2018, 01:17 PM

10/3 Patrick Vieira

6/1 Carlo Ancelotti

6/1 Thomas Tuchel

7/1 Brendan Rodgers

15/2 Leonardo Jardim

8/1 Mikel Arteta

8/1 Joachim Low

8/1 Massimiliano Allegri

8/1 Rafael Benitez

10/1 Thierry Henry

10/1 Lucien Favre

11/1 Dennis Bergkamp

14/1 Diego Simeone

16/1 Sean Dyche

16/1 Luis Enrique

How about the guy at Bournemouth?

Mibbes Aye
20-04-2018, 01:25 PM
Wenger prided himself on polishing turds so to speak, coaching a young player into a great, this hasn't happened for a while and his comment about top 4 in the league as a bench mark wasn't his cleverest one. He refused to spend the money when it was there and neglected to do anything about a weak defence and never replaced Viera as the holding mid. He should've went about 4 seasons ago when Man City and Spurs started to become contenders and he assumed he'd always get his magic top 4 spot

He replaced Vieira with Gilberto Silva who was a sublime and fantastic player. Eventually Gilberto got too old and moved on and wasn’t adequately replaced. Wenger had a lot of faith in Abou Diaby and when he wasn’t injured he was brilliant. Unfortunately that only translates into a season and a half out of nine.

Ultimately that leadership role in central midfield hasn’t been filled. Despite that, Wenger has produced some of the most exquisite football I’ve ever seen. At one point it was Pires and Henry, now it’s Ozil and Ramsey, but they still conjure up goals that no other EPL team seem to be able to manage. Maybe not competing for the title but playing the most beautiful football.

The comments about his impact on the game I can only echo. Getting Tony Adams to eat broccoli is a bit of a laugh but his thinking completely transformed the game in England and he took a successful Arsenal back four and extended their careers by changing their game and their mindset. His influence on how football is played in the EPL cannot be overstated.

There was a thread a number of weeks ago that got into discussion about his replacement. My money then and now is on Leonardo Jardim. Tuchel I think wiould have been a candidate but will go to PSG or, hatchets will be buried and he will end up at Bayern Munich.

tamig
20-04-2018, 01:34 PM
He replaced Vieira with Gilberto Silva who was a sublime and fantastic player. Eventually Gilberto got too old and moved on and wasn’t adequately replaced. Wenger had a lot of faith in Abou Diaby and when he wasn’t injured he was brilliant. Unfortunately that only translates into a season and a half out of nine.

Ultimately that leadership role in central midfield hasn’t been filled. Despite that, Wenger has produced some of the most exquisite football I’ve ever seen. At one point it was Pires and Henry, now it’s Ozil and Ramsey, but they still conjure up goals that no other EPL team seem to be able to manage. Maybe not competing for the title but playing the most beautiful football.

The comments about his impact on the game I can only echo. Getting Tony Adams to eat broccoli is a bit of a laugh but his thinking completely transformed the game in England and he took a successful Arsenal back four and extended their careers by changing their game and their mindset. His influence on how football is played in the EPL cannot be overstated.

There was a thread a number of weeks ago that got into discussion about his replacement. My money then and now is on Leonardo Jardim. Tuchel I think wiould have been a candidate but will go to PSG or, hatchets will be buried and he will end up at Bayern Munich.

Diaby was a fabulous prospect and looked like he could pick up the Vieira role. That horror injury at Sunderland pretty much did for him. Wenger has had more than his fair share of bad luck with long term injuries to key players.

Oscar T Grouch
20-04-2018, 01:35 PM
Where’s Butcher?

IN a hole somewhere away from football, it's better for everyone that way :greengrin

How about the guy at Bournemouth?

I only copied and pasted from an article I was reading, Eddie Howe might be considered but don't think he is the sort of 'name' gooners will be looking for.

Michael
20-04-2018, 01:38 PM
I'd go for Sean Dyche. His Burnley side are almost as good as Arsenal, but on a fraction of the cost.

IWasThere2016
20-04-2018, 01:38 PM
Rodgers is currently 8/1. Really can't see it myself.

Is he quoted for Chelski? Told he is on a list of 4 they have to replace Conte

Colr
20-04-2018, 01:43 PM

That would suit me. I’d miss their supporters’ perpetual whining.

Pretty Boy
20-04-2018, 01:47 PM
Goods words from Fergie here:

"I am really happy for Arsene Wenger. I have great respect for him and for the job he has done at Arsenal. It is great testament to his talent, professionalism and determination that has been able to dedicate 22 years of his life to a job that he loves.

In an era where football managers sometimes only last one or two seasons, it shows what an achievement it is to serve that length of time at a club the size of Arsenal.

I am pleased that he has announced he is leaving at this stage of the season, as he can now have the send-off that he truly deserves.

He is, without doubt, one the greatest Premier League managers and I am proud to have been a rival, a colleague and a friend to such a great man."

snooky
20-04-2018, 02:06 PM
Goods words from Fergie here:

"I am really happy for Arsene Wenger. I have great respect for him and for the job he has done at Arsenal. It is great testament to his talent, professionalism and determination that has been able to dedicate 22 years of his life to a job that he loves.

In an era where football managers sometimes only last one or two seasons, it shows what an achievement it is to serve that length of time at a club the size of Arsenal.

I am pleased that he has announced he is leaving at this stage of the season, as he can now have the send-off that he truly deserves.

He is, without doubt, one the greatest Premier League managers and I am proud to have been a rival, a colleague and a friend to such a great man."

:aok: Class act.

(BTW, surely a misquote there. Should be "pwoud"? :wink:)

RyeSloan
20-04-2018, 02:17 PM
I would like to see Allegri take the job.

Wenger should have gone a while back but I hope he lifts the Europa League in his last season, would be a fitting send off to a man who really changed the football landscape in England.

hibbydog
20-04-2018, 02:30 PM
Legend.

I hope he clears off and leaves the next guy to get on with it...Fergie is still hanging around old Trafford like a bad smell. I felt it really undermined David Moyes at Man U when Fergie was constantly being name checked at press conferences and looking over Moyes like an over bearing father in law

MWHIBBIES
20-04-2018, 02:52 PM
I'd go for Sean Dyche. His Burnley side are almost as good as Arsenal, but on a fraction of the cost.Way too early for that. I can't see him attracting top players.

Mibbes Aye
20-04-2018, 03:07 PM
Diaby was a fabulous prospect and looked like he could pick up the Vieira role. That horror injury at Sunderland pretty much did for him. Wenger has had more than his fair share of bad luck with long term injuries to key players.

Perhaps due to his longevity, it’s difficult to compare him with anyone else.

He can certainly transform players. Arsenal had a defence that was legendary in its safety-first approach and he extended their careers and turned them into a back formation that played the ball out. Tony Adams goal against Everton that sealed the first Wenger title is a great example.

Without a doubt he had an eye for how to turn a player. Thierry Henry is the obvious example, losing his way as a winger until he was brought to Highbury. Vieira and a few others were under-performing as well, and then shone at Arsenal.

There are a few that didn’t work out though and it’s always amazed me how Arsenal, despite having shedloads of money, especially recently, always seemed to find it easier to buy a prettty attacking midfielder than an out-and-out scorer. Maybe that explains why they produce such sumptuous football but don’t win titles.

The stand-out for me is Davor Suker. There’s no way he shouldn’t have been a prolific scorer in the EPL yet it didn’t quite work out. Likewise with Eduardo and Baptista. Wenger never quite mastered the art of getting someone who would put it in the net other than Henry.

I first saw Arsenal in the early eighties, very different team. I followed them since then and I can honestly say that watching them under Wenger has given me the best experience of football at its most beautiful as I could imagine.

Same Sleeves
20-04-2018, 03:47 PM

He can certainly transform players. Arsenal had a defence that was legendary in its safety-first approach and he extended their careers and turned them into a back formation that played the ball out. Tony Adams goal against Everton that sealed the first Wenger title is a great example.

Without a doubt he had an eye for how to turn a player. Thierry Henry is the obvious example, losing his way as a winger until he was brought to Highbury. Vieira and a few others were under-performing as well, and then shone at Arsenal.

There are a few that didn’t work out though and it’s always amazed me how Arsenal, despite having shedloads of money, especially recently, always seemed to find it easier to buy a prettty attacking midfielder than an out-and-out scorer. Maybe that explains why they produce such sumptuous football but don’t win titles.

The stand-out for me is Davor Suker. There’s no way he shouldn’t have been a prolific scorer in the EPL yet it didn’t quite work out. Likewise with Eduardo and Baptista. Wenger never quite mastered the art of getting someone who would put it in the net other than Henry.

I first saw Arsenal in the early eighties, very different team. I followed them since then and I can honestly say that watching them under Wenger has given me the best experience of football at its most beautiful as I could imagine.

The man is a legend,but its not just about about the sexy football and the 49ers it was also the way that he guided the club to top four finishes and the extra 25 million per season to get the new stadium debt under control and he done this while making a profit in the transfer window most seasons and he turned down Real Madrid to do so

the fact that Allegri and Simeone are even being mentioned for the job is partly to do with his legacy and the stadium that lights up the north london sky will always be a reminder of his massive impact on my football club

RyeSloan
20-04-2018, 03:48 PM

Good summation although I would suggest that on the goal scoring front Wenger did eventually find a Henry like goal machine but then sold him to Man United [emoji24]

Deansy
20-04-2018, 03:51 PM
Is he retiring or just leaving arsenal? No doubt there will be deluded Huns demanding they appoint him and give him 60 million to spend.

Yup, you were right -

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/topic/314748-your-five-man-managerial-shortlist/?page=49

'Has just confirmed he’ll step down at end of season, a year short of his contract. Wonder if we’ve spoken to him. He’d be my number one choice without a shadow of doubt and is head and shoulders above everyone else that has been suggested. Let’s do it!'

Once again their gross-arrogance is matched by their gross-stupidity - the Hun, still neck-and-neck with 'Still Game' for the title of 'Scotland's Best Comedy-act' !

Lago
20-04-2018, 04:25 PM
Can't see them going for Rodgers, will want a bigger name.
Now the bookies favourite.

Callyballybe
20-04-2018, 04:26 PM
Yup, you were right -

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/topic/314748-your-five-man-managerial-shortlist/?page=49

'Has just confirmed he’ll step down at end of season, a year short of his contract. Wonder if we’ve spoken to him. He’d be my number one choice without a shadow of doubt and is head and shoulders above everyone else that has been suggested. Let’s do it!'

Once again their gross-arrogance is matched by their gross-stupidity - the Hun, still neck-and-neck with 'Still Game' for the title of 'Scotland's Best Comedy-act' !

Absolutely mental. Truly live on another planet that lot.

LustForLeith
20-04-2018, 05:04 PM
I think they should go for Conte.

Like him or loathe him in my opinion if you were to pick an all time great Premier team a lot of Arsenal players from the Invincible team could be in it.

20-04-2018, 05:04 PM
Alan Stubbs

Onion
20-04-2018, 06:06 PM
Now the bookies favourite.

Interesting backdrop and distraction ahead of tomorrow's vital match.
Rogers to Arsenal, Lennon to Celtic.

Pagan Hibernia
20-04-2018, 06:06 PM
The Wenger-Ferguson Arsenal-United rivalry/feud from 1998 to around 2005 was one of the best stories British football has produced for a long time. Both massive clubs, two great managers, and teams full of big characters and skillful players. Loads of memorable matches and moments. It was toxic at times, and Ferguson’s gracious words today can’t disguise the fact that there were times when the two men clearly couldn’t stand each other, but great respect as well.

Sad really that unlike Fergie Wenger will probably not go out a winner and he probably did stay too long. Still its the end of a great chapter in British football.

hibsbollah
20-04-2018, 07:47 PM
I'm just conflicted about him. I remember like it was yesterday when he was appointed, and the Arsène Who? headlines. Nobody appointed managers out of left field in those days. On one hand, he played football the way I like to see it played, and he signed lots of players that I really liked from European football; Arshavin, who was amazing for Zenit, Diaby, who had everything as a young player, Alexis Sanchez who, after his world cup displays, I expected to go to a bigger club. Some of them worked out, some of them didn't. He seemed to value skill and ball control above everything else.

In the other, he managed to come across as arrogant and disrespectful to his opponents in press conferences, and a bad loser. He sounded like a bit of a sad obsessive character, who spent his evenings glued to VHS of his opponents, even on his 60th birthday he told the press corps he'd not be going out, he'd be watching a bundesliga reserve game instead. But as time went by, his signings got less successful. Other managers seem to know the French market better than him now.

He could just never find a replacement for Viera.

Brizo
20-04-2018, 08:09 PM
Always came across to me as very ungracious in defeat and unwilling to accept any responsibility for anything that went wrong. His mantra of "I didnt see it" in response to players blatant diving or bad behaviour became ridiculous. Defending players is one thing but he made a career of defending the indefensible.

Surprised he's gone but per TV 90% of Arsenal fans were against him so probably knew his time was up. You cant argue with his track record but every manager has a shelf life, the astute ones know when its time to move on. Wengers arrogance and a Board in awe of him kept him in the job he should have left six or seven years ago.

Zazu62
20-04-2018, 08:20 PM
No points away from home in the premier league this calendar year. That’s a shocker. Arsenal are soft as.

Haymaker
21-04-2018, 03:12 AM
It was toxic at times, and Ferguson’s gracious words today can’t disguise the fact that there were times when the two men clearly couldn’t stand each other, but great respect as well.

I always thought they both knew how to play the game. They knew what they were doing.

CRAZYHIBBY
21-04-2018, 08:28 AM
I posted on here last month after speaking to an old guy in the pub who told me Wenger was leaving and Brendan Rodgers was being lined up as his replacement with Lennon going to celtic.....hope not.....

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?329368-Footie-rumours-some-hibs&p=5344877&highlight=#post5344877

Pagan Hibernia
21-04-2018, 08:38 AM
I posted on here last month after speaking to an old guy in the pub who told me Wenger was leaving and Brendan Rodgers was being lined up as his replacement with Lennon going to celtic.....hope not.....

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?329368-Footie-rumours-some-hibs&p=5344877&highlight=#post5344877

To be honest it didn’t take Nostradamus to predict a month ago that Wenger would be going this year.

id be absolutely astonished if Arsenal went for Rodgers. He wasn’t exactly a resounding success at Liverpool, a similarly sized club with similar wealth and assets

JohnM1875
21-04-2018, 08:42 AM
To be honest it didn’t take Nostradamus to predict a month ago that Wenger would be going this year.

id be absolutely astonished if Arsenal went for Rodgers. He wasn’t exactly a resounding success at Liverpool, a similarly sized club with similar wealth and assets

He was 3 points off winning the league with Liverpool! An unbelievable achievemebt. But, I agree with you. Can't see Arsenal going for him.

Bostonhibby
21-04-2018, 08:45 AM
Always came across to me as very ungracious in defeat and unwilling to accept any responsibility for anything that went wrong. His mantra of "I didnt see it" in response to players blatant diving or bad behaviour became ridiculous. Defending players is one thing but he made a career of defending the indefensible.

Surprised he's gone but per TV 90% of Arsenal fans were against him so probably knew his time was up. You cant argue with his track record but every manager has a shelf life, the astute ones know when its time to move on. Wengers arrogance and a Board in awe of him kept him in the job he should have left six or seven years ago.

This is pretty much how I see him. Jumped before he was pushed in my opinion.

greenginger
21-04-2018, 08:55 AM

And Alan Stubbs seems to making himself more visible lately ! :confused:

jacomo
21-04-2018, 09:07 AM

Well, Dermot Desmond claims Rodgers is favourite for the Arsenal job.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43840717

:hilarious

Brendan’s runaway ego will ensure he thinks he’s in the running. But it doesn’t mean Arsenal think the same.

Maybe the hierarchy at Celtc are bored of him already?

Pagan Hibernia
21-04-2018, 09:32 AM
He was 3 points off winning the league with Liverpool! An unbelievable achievemebt. But, I agree with you. Can't see Arsenal going for him.

He came close that year (Suarez was incredible that season) but Levein’d it on the home straight! Overall no trophies and more poor seasons than good at anfield. I don’t think too many Liverpool fans were sorry to see the back of him.

Baader
21-04-2018, 09:40 AM
Would say the chances of Arsenal being interested in Rodgers are almost next to nothing. His achievements in a league with no real competition won't bother an Arsenal board and the supporters would be unhappy with him. He was deemed not good enough in the end at Liverpool and that's all they will see.

Arsenal should look at Leonardo Jardim who would fit the bill. I'd imagine Max Allegri and Jogi Loew will be near the top of the list.