PDA

View Full Version : Aintree Festival/Grand National 2018

HibernianJK
11-04-2018, 05:57 AM
Just around the corner and the Grand National seems like one with real quality in it this year. I can’t see it being won by anything outside the top 10 in the betting. Hasn’t stopped me having a punt on a couple of longer shots though.

Few I’m on are:

Tiger Roll
Minella Rocco
Seeyouatmidnight
Milansbar

Antonw got any fancies for the big one or the week in general?

Hibs1972
11-04-2018, 06:35 AM
Just around the corner and the Grand National seems like one with real quality in it this year. I can’t see it being won by anything outside the top 10 in the betting. Hasn’t stopped me having a punt on a couple of longer shots though.

Few I’m on are:

Tiger Roll
Minella Rocco
Seeyouatmidnight
Milansbar

Antonw got any fancies for the big one or the week in general?
Anibale Fly and Seeyouatmidnight would be my 2 against the field on Saturday,best wishes to all runners and riders.

Pretty Boy
11-04-2018, 07:31 AM
Think the going is still soft-good to soft with more rain forecast. If it goes full soft or even soft-heavy in place I think the chances of a shock might jump up.

I usually do well in the National, in the last few years I've had Many Clouds, One for Arthur and Neptube Collonges win and Last Samarui, Rocky Creek and Teaforthree place.

Milansbar, Tiger Roll and Bai Des Iles will carry my money. 2 female jockeys in there so a bit of history if one wins.

HibernianJK
11-04-2018, 08:15 AM
Think the going is still soft-good to soft with more rain forecast. If it goes full soft or even soft-heavy in place I think the chances of a shock might jump up.

I usually do well in the National, in the last few years I've had Many Clouds, One for Arthur and Neptube Collonges win and Last Samarui, Rocky Creek and Teaforthree place.

Milansbar, Tiger Roll and Bai Des Iles will carry my money. 2 female jockeys in there so a bit of history if one wins.

Bai Des Iles backed into 16/1 from 50/1 over the last week and Milansbar will love the ground should it come up soft.

Golden Bear
12-04-2018, 04:54 PM
I've no idea about horse racing but I do like a punt on the Grand National so I'll be watching this thread with interest in the hope of picking up some hot tips.

:greengrin

ekhibee
12-04-2018, 06:08 PM
1 horse that won today that must be the most frustrating, annoying horse in jumps training. The jockey deserved an OBE for winning on Finians Oscar. It made loads of mistakes, was under pressure about 5 out and somehow won going away. If anybody saw it you'll know exactly what I mean...

Pretty Boy
12-04-2018, 06:35 PM
1 horse that won today that must be the most frustrating, annoying horse in jumps training. The jockey deserved an OBE for winning on Finians Oscar. It made loads of mistakes, was under pressure about 5 out and somehow won going away. If anybody saw it you'll know exactly what I mean...

He’s such a strange horse. Bags of ability but his jumping is appalling at times. He seems a bit lazy tbh as they tried him back over hurdles previously and he was still sloppy over them. He looked the real deal as a novice hurdler but if he keeps jumping like that then he’s going to struggle to kick on.

He does seem like a stayer in time though; he got done for speed over a sharp 2 miles at Sandown where his jumping errors were badly punished, if you make mistakes at the railway fences you aren’t likely to be winning races there. He won well battling back at Cheltenham in a novice chase earlier in the season and again today he was streaking away at the line after being under all kinds of pressure 2/3 out.

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-04-2018, 07:18 PM
Not had a close look yet but, Anibale Fly and I Just Know for me at the moment.

lord bunberry
12-04-2018, 07:49 PM
I love the national, but I never really give it much thought until close to the race. I’m going for Ucello Conti to win and Warriors Tale e/w.

heretoday
13-04-2018, 04:48 AM
You might as well stick a pin in.

The only winners are the bookies.

lord bunberry
13-04-2018, 09:33 AM

It’s not as much of a lottery as it used to be. It’s the amount of runners that makes it so difficult these days.

danhibees1875
13-04-2018, 10:00 AM
I've used my zero knowledge on horses to pick a short list of 7 horses, in the afternoon I'll further utilise my zero knowledge to pretend to understand their form, weight, and age before finally going for one of the ones in green. Perfect Candidate could be a perfect candidate for that, or Amahorse Konte.

WeeRussell
13-04-2018, 11:51 AM

And every person who happens to select the winner, of course.

Pretty Boy
13-04-2018, 11:57 AM
Vicente out. Heading to Ayr next week instead.

Just in case the green, yellow and white colours tempted anyone.

Pretty Boy
13-04-2018, 01:22 PM
Minella Rocco out as is Beeves.

Thunder & Roses and Walk in the Mill both in.

Pretty Boy
13-04-2018, 03:41 PM
Some run from Politilogue in the Melling. He'll pick up plenty of these types of races when Altior stays away. He looked like the extra distance suited nicely, that's a bit strange as he was never a strong finisher. Still 11s was a more than decent price and has paid for my weekend.

LustForLeith
13-04-2018, 06:51 PM
If anyone has a Bet365 account they’re doing the offer for the National that that did last year where if you back a horse each way you get half the stake back

ekhibee
13-04-2018, 11:47 PM
Some run from Politilogue in the Melling. He'll pick up plenty of these types of races when Altior stays away. He looked like the extra distance suited nicely, that's a bit strange as he was never a strong finisher. Still 11s was a more than decent price and has paid for my weekend.
Yet another race at this meeting that makes a complete mockery of the form when you consider how far Politilogue was beaten at Cheltenham, but well done you for taking the 11/1!

LustForLeith
14-04-2018, 06:30 AM
I once told my dad I had a tip for the National and he said that was funny as he had a tip for the lottery numbers!

I read an article rating the National field on ten trends and the ones that met all the criteria are

Total Recall
Tiger Roll
Chase the spud
Saint are
Houblon Des Obeaux
Milansbar
Double Ross
Delusionofgranguer

I’m going for Milansbar. Decent weight, should love the condictions and the distance.

Good luck everyone

Pretty Boy
14-04-2018, 07:02 AM
I once told my dad I had a tip for the National and he said that was funny as he had a tip for the lottery numbers!

I read an article rating the National field on ten trends and the ones that met all the criteria are

Total Recall
Tiger Roll
Chase the spud
Saint are
Houblon Des Obeaux
Milansbar
Double Ross
Delusionofgranguer

I’m going for Milansbar. Decent weight, should love the condictions and the distance.

Good luck everyone

Milansbar is my big bet as well.

The Midlands National form looks good, good age, goes on soft, has won at 3m5f (on soft), is quite lightly raced, fair weight and has run recently.

LustForLeith
14-04-2018, 07:59 AM
I love Cheltenham but you forget how good Aintree actually is. Some top class horses over the last few days. So much more to it than the National

jonty
14-04-2018, 08:29 AM
Another opportunity for the bookies to empty my wallet :greengrin

Pete
14-04-2018, 09:54 AM
The family chose horses based on their names and colours do I have to try and do something with their donkeys.

To win: Total recall, some Italian name.

Each way: Double Ross, Road to riches, pleasant company

The_Exile
14-04-2018, 10:08 AM
Great for the matched bettor, already guaranteed £80 with the BET 365 offer and another £90 if one of 5 horses comes in 5th due to the extra place they're paying out on.

Had a wee flutter for a win on Seeyouatmidnight though.

Pretty Boy
14-04-2018, 10:52 AM
I had a wee look at the horses form in races over 3 miles and on ground softer than good, a few that caught the eye were:

Seeyouatmidnight - 133P2
Bais De Iles - 12465133
Total Recall - P111F
Blacklion - 24F1135324212
Anibale Fly - 1421F3
Delusionofgrandeur - 114111353
I Just Know - 6P12131
Tiger Roll - 011P51

sleeping giant
14-04-2018, 01:24 PM
My 2 picks are
Baie Des Iles and Vieux Lion Rouge.

jonty
14-04-2018, 03:33 PM
Milansbar is my big bet as well.

The Midlands National form looks good, good age, goes on soft, has won at 3m5f (on soft), is quite lightly raced, fair weight and has run recently.

If that comes in i'll buy you a few pints :greengrin

GlesgaeHibby
14-04-2018, 04:39 PM
Solid afternoon. Backed Tiger roll at 12/1 ew and milansbar ew. About first time I've ever won money off the national.

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-04-2018, 04:56 PM
Its not got any easier over the years for horses near the top of the weights to win The National. Over the last few years I've pretty much ruled out anything carrying over 11st. Ignored my own advice by backing Anibale Fly ew, better than losing right enough.

Pretty Boy
14-04-2018, 05:06 PM
All horses in. Saint Are was assessed for a long time on course, was taken in on the ambulance and is with the vet. Last Samurai was a bit wound up and a bit distressed but being cooled. Screens went up for Blacklion as he was winded but Sam TD stayed with him and walked him in.

2 jockeys in the medical room. Rachel Blackmore was knocked out at the Chair and Charlie Deutsch who was behind the screens at Bechers walked in and is 'walking wounded'.

Fingers crossed for Saint Are and a 6th National in a row with no empty boxes.

Golden Bear
14-04-2018, 05:14 PM

:

Well done PB. I know absolutely zero about horse racing but followed your advice and i'm quids in.

:thumbsup:

lord bunberry
14-04-2018, 05:17 PM
Ucello Conti gave me a decent run for my money before falling. I can’t believe how close it was on the line though, in the replay a stride after the the line the other horse was half a length up. Fine margins in the racing game. You could see how gutted the jockey on the runner up was at the end.

jonty
14-04-2018, 05:17 PM
Solid afternoon. Backed Tiger roll at 12/1 ew and milansbar ew. About first time I've ever won money off the national.

I was on the same, so after derby let me down in an acca, its a decent day.

I always keep an eye out for PBs words of wisdom and it makes a nice change to be taking some from the horses after (for me) the disaster that was Cheltenham :thumbsup:

Pete
14-04-2018, 05:22 PM
The family chose horses based on their names and colours do I have to try and do something with their donkeys.

To win: Total recall, some Italian name.

Each way: Double Ross, Road to riches, pleasant company

£20 profit with sky net paying out on six places.

Not sure if If I would’ve won more if pleasant company wasn’t pipped at the post. :confused:

Craig_HFC
14-04-2018, 05:46 PM
£38 from a £2.50 e/w bet on Tiger Roll.

£13 up for the day after a losing coupon and another e/w bet on Seeyouatmidnight.

Pretty Boy
14-04-2018, 05:56 PM

Not sure if If I would’ve won more if pleasant company wasn’t pipped at the post. :confused:

On Pleasant Company assuming a £1 each way bet and 1/4 odds and his SP of 25/1 you would have got £7.25 back for the place. If he had won you would have got £26 back for the win plus the £7.25 for the place.

ekhibee
14-04-2018, 06:04 PM

Some bookies automatically pay out on best price so you could've got more than his finishing price if he'd won, along with the place and the original stake, but well done anyway, it's a horse I certainly couldn't have picked.

Pretty Boy
14-04-2018, 06:12 PM
For anyone interested Saint Are is still being treated. He was injured crashing into another horse at The Chair and they suspect he has a similar injury to the one Balthazar King had at the Canal Turn a few years ago (broken ribs). The worry is there is spinal or internal damage so they are monitoring for now and plan to move to the equine hospital if it is safe to do so.

Pretty poor both the Express and Star ran with stories that jockeys had ridden past a ‘dead horse’ at Bechers when it was totally untrue. The screens were up for a jockey but even when they are up for a horse they are used to afford horse and vet some privacy and keep things as calm as possible, sometimes it’s bad news and other times, as in the case of the aforementioned Balthazar King, there is good news. They are giving Saint Are every chance and he’ll be receiving veterinary care that is second to none.

Pete
14-04-2018, 06:25 PM
On Pleasant Company assuming a £1 each way bet and 1/4 odds and his SP of 25/1 you would have got £7.25 back for the place. If he had won you would have got £26 back for the win plus the £7.25 for the place.

Some bookies automatically pay out on best price so you could've got more than his finishing price if he'd won, along with the place and the original stake, but well done anyway, it's a horse I certainly couldn't have picked.

Dammit.

Ach well, it’s still a profit. I can’t claim any credit as they were picked randomly by the other half and my ten year old son. 😁

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-04-2018, 07:17 PM
Dammit.

Ach well, it’s still a profit. I can’t claim any credit as they were picked randomly by the other half and my ten year old son. 😁

My 10 year old nephew managed to back the winner!

ekhibee
14-04-2018, 08:07 PM
For anyone interested Saint Are is still being treated. He was injured crashing into another horse at The Chair and they suspect he has a similar injury to the one Balthazar King had at the Canal Turn a few years ago (broken ribs). The worry is there is spinal or internal damage so they are monitoring for now and plan to move to the equine hospital if it is safe to do so.

Pretty poor both the Express and Star ran with stories that jockeys had ridden past a ‘dead horse’ at Bechers when it was totally untrue. The screens were up for a jockey but even when they are up for a horse they are used to afford horse and vet some privacy and keep things as calm as possible, sometimes it’s bad news and other times, as in the case of the aforementioned Balthazar King, there is good news. They are giving Saint Are every chance and he’ll be receiving veterinary care that is second to none.
Totally agree, well said.

JimBHibees
14-04-2018, 08:51 PM

Cheers quality info. Did Tiger roll and milansbar ew so well up. Cheers.

Pretty Boy
14-04-2018, 09:00 PM
Totally agree, well said.

Some of the misinformation is mental. I'vd been blocked and had comments deleted from Animal Aid and Caged Nationwides Facebook pages for challenging them on the lies they are spreading. One of those pages is still maintaining Saint Are is dead despite his trainer confirming he is fine and expected to recover to enjoy a retirement.

They are all about free speech until you disagree with them.

ekhibee
14-04-2018, 11:10 PM
Some of the misinformation is mental. I'vd been blocked and had comments deleted from Animal Aid and Caged Nationwides Facebook pages for challenging them on the lies they are spreading. One of those pages is still maintaining Saint Are is dead despite his trainer confirming he is fine and expected to recover to enjoy a retirement.

They are all about free speech until you disagree with them.
Too true, sadly, and we all know how manipulative the media can be. Personally I always check the Sporting Life online before anywhere else for horse racing info, even though it's not as good as it used to be it's still pretty accurate. This is the article about Saint Are:

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/saint-are-stays-at-aintree/146319

givescotlandfreedom
15-04-2018, 02:02 AM
Seeing as the subject has been brought up, one horse died at Aintree on Thursday, Lilbitluso. You can decide for yourselves if it's worth it or not.

Liam89
15-04-2018, 08:43 AM
Seeing as the subject has been brought up, one horse died at Aintree on Thursday, Lilbitluso. You can decide for yourselves if it's worth it or not.

I enjoy watching, and occasionally betting on the sport, but do have to fight with my conscience to justify whether it’s an acceptable spectacle or not. Seeing yesterday’s, and other similar big field races, I was grimacing as jockeys fell off, horses collided with each other and awkwardly fell over hurdles. I find myself putting it into the same bracket as eating meat nowadays. I know it’s not needed, I know it contributes to animal suffering but I selfishly enjoy it.

Just my two pence thoughts!

ekhibee
15-04-2018, 10:53 AM
Great news:

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/good-news-for-national-faller-saint-are/146330

Pretty Boy
16-04-2018, 12:56 PM
Great news:

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/good-news-for-national-faller-saint-are/146330

Now home and Tom George confirms he's been retired.

trev the hat
16-04-2018, 08:22 PM
Tiger roll & Milansbar for me, although the weegie bookies in Benidorm only paying on the first 4 was a poor show. At least they got stiffed for the winner. 😎

Wilson
17-04-2018, 11:19 AM

On the subject of retirement I see that CueCard has now also been retired.

Geo_1875
17-04-2018, 11:21 AM

Glad to hear that even though I'd backed it again. Feared the worst when I saw the tent going up.