PDA

View Full Version : Masters 2018

theonlywayisup
01-04-2018, 07:54 AM
Who's your tip to win it?

Choose your favourite and a rank outsider, say lower than 40/1 in the rankings.

I'm going for Justin Thomas and Brian Harman

https://www.oddschecker.com/golf/the-masters/2018-us-masters/winner

murray26
01-04-2018, 03:08 PM
I’ve bet Casey 22/1.. will bet another but not decided who yet..

greenlex
01-04-2018, 06:12 PM
I’ve bet Rose, Rahm and I guess my outsider is Reed. I might have some more before Thursday or indeed wait till next weekend.

Godsahibby
01-04-2018, 06:22 PM
I will be covering Fleetwood, Noren and Pieters another European to win this year!

frazeHFC
01-04-2018, 06:53 PM
Love it when a European wins over there, although I think it would be amazing if Tiger did something.

Buzzing for it to start, but I'm out Friday, won't get back from Dingwall til late on Saturday, and flying to Spain Sunday night so hardly going to catch any of it. :(

Golden Bear
01-04-2018, 08:10 PM
Alex Noren will be my main bet to win. I'll be studying form over the next couple of days for the rest.

greenlex
01-04-2018, 10:42 PM
Alex Noren will be my main bet to win. I'll be studying form over the next couple of days for the rest.
Im thinking I’ll be having a bit of that too along with Stenson GB.

theonlywayisup
02-04-2018, 07:29 AM
How impressive has Poulter been over the last three days at the Houston Open - twenty under par for three rounds, one over par after the first round.

A truly inspired performance - the 'Ryder Cup' Poulter finally does it in a US strokeplay tournament. He's in great form, Kisner match apart.

The putt on the 72nd was 'Medina' style, along with the chest punches.

Maybe a good outsider option.

Golden Bear
02-04-2018, 07:49 AM
How impressive has Poulter been over the last three days at the Houston Open - twenty under par for three rounds, one over par after the first round.

A truly inspired performance - the 'Ryder Cup' Poulter finally does it in a US strokeplay tournament. He's in great form, Kisner match apart.

Great viewing last night. You've got to admire Poults's bottle, what a competitor!

LustForLeith
02-04-2018, 10:12 AM
Has Politer got a chance of making the Ryder Cup team? Would like to see him do well at the Masters

theonlywayisup
02-04-2018, 10:34 AM
Has Politer got a chance of making the Ryder Cup team? Would like to see him do well at the Masters

As it stands, Europe team would be:

Hatton, Rose, Fisher and Fitzpatrick from the European list
Rahm, Fleetwood, McIlroy and Garcia from the World list

Then four picks after that. Poulter is 9th in the World list.

Others is the mix would include Noren, Cabrera-Bello, Pieters, Casey, Stenson, Lowry etc. Imagine a few of them would move out Fisher & Fitzpatrick.

Shaping up to be another strong Eurpoean team.

Hibrandenburg
02-04-2018, 04:53 PM
I put 2 £10 each way bets on Rose and Spieth. They're both never far away.

greenlex
02-04-2018, 05:09 PM

I’m thinking all that physical and mental energy getting there will have him drained this week.

LustForLeith
02-04-2018, 07:54 PM
I want to wait to see the tee off times but I like the look of Ricky Fowler this week.

LustForLeith
02-04-2018, 07:55 PM
As it stands, Europe team would be:

Hatton, Rose, Fisher and Fitzpatrick from the European list
Rahm, Fleetwood, McIlroy and Garcia from the World list

Then four picks after that. Poulter is 9th in the World list.

Others is the mix would include Noren, Cabrera-Bello, Pieters, Casey, Stenson, Lowry etc. Imagine a few of them would move out Fisher & Fitzpatrick.

Shaping up to be another strong Eurpoean team.

Potentially that’s a cracking European team.

Looking forward to this year

JE89
03-04-2018, 05:30 PM
Went for Rahm and Fleetwood. Like watching Fleetwood - he has fantastic rapport with the crowd - will be a great Ryder cup player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LustForLeith
03-04-2018, 09:46 PM
Got a selection but hope he doesn’t jinx it by winning the par three challenge tomorrow!

Golden Bear
04-04-2018, 08:49 PM
McIlroy to win and I've each way bets on Noren, Thomas, Schauffler, Matsuyama and Oosthuizen. It always adds a bit of interest,I'm really looking forward to it now.

theonlywayisup
05-04-2018, 06:40 AM
Can you believe it's thirty years since Sandy Lyle won the Masters? The first British player to do so. It also opened the door for a number of European wins.

LustForLeith
05-04-2018, 06:57 AM
Right! He didn’t win the par 3 challenge so I’m going for Ricke Fowler.

He meets a lot of the trends of the last 10 winners. He’s under the age of 40, he’s in the top 30, made the cut last year and has had a top 10 this year.

He’s also featuring in the top 60 for tee to green (33) approach (30) scoring (27).

Also a big thing for the Masters is not how many birdies or eagles you can get (does help!) but how many bogeys you can avoid. Again Fowler ranks well in the top 60 of bogey avoidance coming in at 6.

Edit to say that the last seven winners started late on the first day. Fowler goes out quite late when the whole Tiger show should have died down.

So put your money on anyone other than Fowler!!!

Golden Bear
05-04-2018, 08:19 AM
Right! He didn’t win the par 3 challenge so I’m going for Ricke Fowler.

He meets a lot of the trends of the last 10 winners. He’s under the age of 40, he’s in the top 30, made the cut last year and has had a top 10 this year.

He’s also featuring in the top 60 for tee to green (33) approach (30) scoring (27).

Also a big thing for the Masters is not how many birdies or eagles you can get (does help!) but how many bogeys you can avoid. Again Fowler ranks well in the top 60 of bogey avoidance coming in at 6.

Edit to say that the last seven winners started late on the first day. Fowler goes out quite late when the whole Tiger show should have died down.

So put your money on anyone other than Fowler!!!

Golf betting is an imponderable but at the same time you can get some very good odds on some very good golfers.

I used to have a work colleague who would bet on two flies crawling up a wall, he wasn't a golfer but loved a punt on golf tournaments in particular. He purchased a book on the art of golf betting and one of the amazing facts was that if a golfer became a father for the first time then he tended to win a tournament within 3 months of the birth. They called this "the nappy factor." :greengrin

I remember one week in particular when he did a double on the winner of the European Tour event and the winner of the PGA tour event, let's say I extracted the urine from the guy on placing such a daft bet but lo and behold it came up , it goes to show you how much a golf nutter like me knows! :greengrin

LustForLeith
05-04-2018, 08:22 AM
Ha!

I meant to add that in the last ten Masters the winners starting price has been 20/1 or better. Fowler about 22/1.

Should be a great tournament. Hope big Tony recovers from his celebration of the hole in one to make it.

05-04-2018, 02:45 PM
Dustin Johnson at 15/1, Sergio at 41/1 and Tommy Fleetwood at 55/1.

Watching it just now live on the CBS app.

Smartie
05-04-2018, 03:12 PM
Nobody has lost me more money than Fowler. He draws me in with good performances on Thursdays and Fridays and goes to pieces over the weekend, normally after I've lumped on halfway through. I think he's a bottler and to be avoided.

I've put small E/W bets on Dustin Johnson, Bryson DeChambeau and Thomas Pieters to make the first couple of days interesting but I tend to watch it and make my move later.

TBH this one is wide open and really tough to call. There are some superb players at fairly short odds, but there are also some very solid candidates (many mentioned on this thread) at much longer odds.

I'm really looking forward to it, I don't think I've ever looked forward to a Masters more.

The Masters official website is superb too.

LustForLeith
05-04-2018, 04:25 PM
Nobody has lost me more money than Fowler. He draws me in with good performances on Thursdays and Fridays and goes to pieces over the weekend, normally after I've lumped on halfway through. I think he's a bottler and to be avoided.

I've put small E/W bets on Dustin Johnson, Bryson DeChambeau and Thomas Pieters to make the first couple of days interesting but I tend to watch it and make my move later.

TBH this one is wide open and really tough to call. There are some superb players at fairly short odds, but there are also some very solid candidates (many mentioned on this thread) at much longer odds.

I'm really looking forward to it, I don't think I've ever looked forward to a Masters more.

The Masters official website is superb too.

I was getting confused by the Masters leaderboard so I reverted to the Sky one!

Smartie
05-04-2018, 04:42 PM
I was getting confused by the Masters leaderboard so I reverted to the Sky one!

I didn't get it to begin with - but if you change the drop down menu from over/under to traditional, it gives you something much more recognisable. I didn't like the initial view at all, I think that's the way they do the scoreboards at the course.

It's the shot tracker bit that I like. You can see where any player is, anywhere on the course at any time. It's the second best thing to actually watching it live - it's class, especially if you're following a player you have money on.

Pretty Boy
05-04-2018, 07:28 PM
That was painful watching Sergio there. Makes me feel a bit better about some of my struggles when you see it can happen to the best though.

theonlywayisup
05-04-2018, 07:29 PM
Garcia 13 on the 15th - 5 balls into the water

ACLeith
05-04-2018, 07:34 PM
But follows with a birdie 2 - class shows

blackpoolhibs
05-04-2018, 07:39 PM
That was painful Sergio. Has the sky coverage improved, i'm watching on american tv and its superb, sky were only showing half a dozen holes earlier? :confused:

hibby6270
05-04-2018, 08:02 PM
Garcia 13 on the 15th - 5 balls into the water

Sad to watch. As a high handicap golfer, I can’t appreciate how difficult the course is at Augusta.
Having said that, I have never taken as many as 13 on a single hole - ever!!
A 12? - yes - just the once though.:greengrin

ACLeith
05-04-2018, 08:28 PM
Sad to watch. As a high handicap golfer, I can’t appreciate how difficult the course is at Augusta.
Having said that, I have never taken as many as 13 on a single hole - ever!!
A 12? - yes - just the once though.:greengrin

I remember reading a comment that even decent club golfers would 3 putt most of the time and often take 4 stabs. Single figure guys would be lucky to break 100!

HibernianJK
06-04-2018, 03:05 AM
Speith will not lose this tournament now.

06-04-2018, 03:43 AM

Still a long way to go. Two years ago he was 5 ahead with 9 to play then went bogey, bogey, quadruple bogey. He finished 3 shots behind Willett. As they say, the Masters doesn't begin until the back 9 on Sunday.

Golden Bear
06-04-2018, 07:45 AM
Excellent viewing last night, Sky's coverage of golf continues to improve and even the commercial breaks were kept to a minimum. I felt sorry for Sergio but at the same time I couldn't understand why he didn't learn his lesson when the first ball spun back into the hazard. To continue to try the same shot was kamikaze stuff and his tournament is all but over already.

Augusta was at its majestic best and not even a single shout of the dreaded "get in the hole!!"

Smartie
06-04-2018, 11:19 AM
Excellent viewing last night, Sky's coverage of golf continues to improve and even the commercial breaks were kept to a minimum. I felt sorry for Sergio but at the same time I couldn't understand why he didn't learn his lesson when the first ball spun back into the hazard. To continue to try the same shot was kamikaze stuff and his tournament is all but over already.

Augusta was at its majestic best and not even a single shout of the dreaded "get in the hole!!"

I thought it was an absolutely brilliant moment in golf history.

It just reminds you that these guys are actually human. They are playing the same game as the rest of us, they are afflicted by the same decision-making demons that afflict us.

And yet they so rarely show it, and often appear superhuman.

It just shows you the standard of performance that they put in.

theonlywayisup
06-04-2018, 03:26 PM

Speith starts his second round with a double bogey

Smartie
06-04-2018, 03:58 PM
I heard someone say the other day "sometimes level par is a superb score around Augusta, you need to suss when that is the case".

Is that the case today?

Some funny looking early scores.

Golden Bear
06-04-2018, 04:07 PM
Projected cut sitting at +7 which shows that Augusta is a great test of golf (Peter Alliss might disagree)

heretoday
06-04-2018, 04:36 PM
I stand to trouser a bit of cash if Stenson wins but I don't mind if Rory wins.

ACLeith
06-04-2018, 06:10 PM
Projected cut sitting at +7 which shows that Augusta is a great test of golf (Peter Alliss might disagree)

If PA disagrees with you then IMO your opinion would always be right 👍

AugustaHibs
06-04-2018, 07:14 PM
Tiger and Phil blowing up..... tigers distance control has been horrendous and Phil has played most of his approach shots far too short

Jim44
06-04-2018, 09:41 PM
Happy with my punts so far - Stenson, D Johnson, Rose, Fowler and Rahm.

Golden Bear
07-04-2018, 08:52 PM
Patrick Reid on fire at the moment but can it last?

greenlex
07-04-2018, 09:00 PM
Patrick Reid on fire at the moment but can it last?

At 45/1 I hope so

Golden Bear
07-04-2018, 10:04 PM
Never mind on fire, Reed is walking on water and the only show in town right now. The *ugger is spoiling tomorrow night's viewing!

Tobias Funke
07-04-2018, 10:05 PM
That eagle at 15 is one of the best shots I’ve seen in over 25 years of watching the Masters. Reed can only throw it away now and he doesn’t look like he will. Outstanding golf.

greenlex
07-04-2018, 10:09 PM
Never mind on fire, Reed is walking on water and the only show in town right now. The *ugger is spoiling tomorrow night's viewing!
No he’s no. :greengrin A few e/w bets up there. Reed Rahm Stenson Fleetwood being the others.:thumbsup:

heretoday
07-04-2018, 11:00 PM
I backed Stenson and Fleetwood last week and they'll be playing partners tomorrow.
It's a funny old game.

LustForLeith
08-04-2018, 06:53 AM

Sone collapse required from everyone else in front of him

I was thinking the same but the Masters is a funny tournament that way. I can see one or more of the current top six having a nightmare today

greenlex
08-04-2018, 05:44 PM
£194 cash out available on three of my remaining seven bets before any of them are out on the course is very tempting I have to say. :dizzy:

Hibrandenburg
08-04-2018, 06:55 PM
Rory pulls one back on Reed.

Golden Bear
08-04-2018, 07:57 PM
Not sure if Rory is at the top of his game today but things can still change.

Pretty Boy
08-04-2018, 08:05 PM
This is shaping up to be a great ending. Rahm and Spieth both on the charge.

Hibrandenburg
08-04-2018, 08:44 PM
Rory has bottled it. His putting is rotten, he couldn't sink a pint.

Smartie
08-04-2018, 08:52 PM
Rory has bottled it. His putting is rotten, he couldn't sink a pint.

Long way to go yet.

Rory can be a bit streaky. If he holes one, he could go on a roll.

Golden Bear
08-04-2018, 09:30 PM
Reed still holds the ace cards. As the commentator just said, the two par 5's could provide the key to success.

Smartie
08-04-2018, 09:35 PM
Reed still holds the ace cards. As the commentator just said, the two par 5's could provide the key to success.

He's carried a nice bit of luck there too, which can be significant.

Golden Bear
08-04-2018, 09:41 PM
He's carried a nice bit of luck there too, which can be significant.

Very true. The guy is a street fighter, he'll not give this up easily.

Hibrandenburg
08-04-2018, 09:41 PM
Long way to go yet.

Rory can be a bit streaky. If he holes one, he could go on a roll.

It was all over after he missed the eagle putt, his confidence was shattered.

Tobias Funke
08-04-2018, 09:47 PM
It was all over after he missed the eagle putt, his confidence was shattered.

I agree, has been awful since.

Golden Bear
08-04-2018, 10:38 PM
He cost me money but we have a worthy winner of another great tournament! Congratulations Patrick Reed.

heretoday
08-04-2018, 10:47 PM
Anyone know if Ladbrokes pay out on all fifth place finishers?

Tobias Funke
08-04-2018, 11:09 PM
He cost me money but we have a worthy winner of another great tournament! Congratulations Patrick Reed.

He has a lot of bottle does Patrick Reed, he’s a fierce competitor too. Happy for him, well deserved.

Had Rahm e/w @ 25/1 so made a small profit on my bets.

Tobias Funke
08-04-2018, 11:23 PM
Anyone know if Ladbrokes pay out on all fifth place finishers?

It will depend on the dead heat rules of the particular bookmaker but in general your e/w stake is divided by the number of players tied for 5th. Happy to be corrected though.

Paddy Power cocked up a few years ago and gave me my full winnings on Casey who was tied with others on the last of the e/w places available. I whipped the funds out my account before they had a chance to correct it. They then sorted it and put my account into negative funds but corrected it again as a gesture of goodwill. Bookie doing a customer a favour? Surely not! :greengrin

HibernianJK
09-04-2018, 12:20 AM
Well Speiths victory wasn’t as secure as I thought after day 1. Thought we were going to see some incredible late in the day there. Congratulations to Reed.

LustForLeith
09-04-2018, 05:36 AM
Gutted. Studied it for ages, went for Fowler and backed him each way.

Turns out the bet I placed was for him to lead after day one!!!

D’oh!!!

Hibrandenburg
09-04-2018, 06:42 AM
He has a lot of bottle does Patrick Reed, he’s a fierce competitor too. Happy for him, well deserved.

Had Rahm e/w @ 25/1 so made a small profit on my bets.

I had Spieth and Rose on each way bets, just about got my cash back.

Sylar
09-04-2018, 09:06 AM
While I had no cash in the game, I was disappointed it was Reed who triumphed.

I've struggled to like him ever since he made his Ryder Cup debut!

LustForLeith
09-04-2018, 10:03 AM
While I had no cash in the game, I was disappointed it was Reed who triumphed.

I've struggled to like him ever since he made his Ryder Cup debut!

He is quite arrogant. Wasn’t him and someone else winding up the Europeans in his debut?

On Sky they’ve shown the clip from an interview he did in 2010 where he declared himself in the top five players in the world.

heretoday
09-04-2018, 10:38 AM
He is quite arrogant. Wasn’t him and someone else winding up the Europeans in his debut?

On Sky they’ve shown the clip from an interview he did in 2010 where he declared himself in the top five players in the world.

He's your classic flag-waving yank. I thought he was quite humble in his Masters victory though.

During the Ryder Cup he put his finger to his lips in the dreaded gesture so familiar to football fans.

Smartie
09-04-2018, 11:27 AM
He's your classic flag-waving yank. I thought he was quite humble in his Masters victory though.

During the Ryder Cup he put his finger to his lips in the dreaded gesture so familiar to football fans.

I didn't like his antics at the Ryder Cup - although to be fair, Rory wasn't much better.

Reed was a pleasure to watch over the past few days, and dignified in victory.

I fully expect him to play up to the crowds when the Ryder Cup comes around again, but then again that is the Ryder Cup - it appears a different level of behaviour is acceptable there than at the Masters.

Golden Bear
09-04-2018, 12:21 PM

He's not the only one to talk himself up. I just had to dig out Ian Poulter's moment of madness:-

In the March issue of Golf World (UK) in 2008, Poulter was quoted saying "Don't get me wrong, I really respect every professional golfer, but I know I haven't played to my full potential and when that happens, it will be just me and Tiger."

:greengrin

heretoday
09-04-2018, 03:11 PM
It will depend on the dead heat rules of the particular bookmaker but in general your e/w stake is divided by the number of players tied for 5th. Happy to be corrected though.

Paddy Power cocked up a few years ago and gave me my full winnings on Casey who was tied with others on the last of the e/w places available. I whipped the funds out my account before they had a chance to correct it. They then sorted it and put my account into negative funds but corrected it again as a gesture of goodwill. Bookie doing a customer a favour? Surely not! :greengrin

Well I had Stenson in a tie for fifth. I got peanuts back. I'm not happy. Man in bookies said go and read dead heat terms and conditions page 33 paragraph ten. Flipping robbers.

Thank goodness I'm not a gambler.

Golden Bear
09-04-2018, 04:04 PM
Well I had Stenson in a tie for fifth. I got peanuts back. I'm not happy. Man in bookies said go and read dead heat terms and conditions page 33 paragraph ten. Flipping robbers.

Thank goodness I'm not a gambler.

I had Stenson as well but with Hills. I'll let you know what happens tomorrow.

heretoday
10-04-2018, 02:35 PM
I had Stenson as well but with Hills. I'll let you know what happens tomorrow.

I'd be interested. They should make it clearer really. I've mellowed a bit. They're not robbers.

Just ####s.

heretoday
10-04-2018, 02:40 PM
There's been a lot of hatred directed towards Reed in certain quarters, though not on these boards.

Do we really expect our sportsmen to be perfect? And do we get the true picture from the media anyway? And is it any of our business whether he talks to his family or not?

I bet even Jack Nicklaus could be a bit nasty when he was up against it. I know it's sacrilege to suggest it!

LustForLeith
10-04-2018, 03:47 PM
He's not the only one to talk himself up. I just had to dig out Ian Poulter's moment of madness:-

In the March issue of Golf World (UK) in 2008, Poulter was quoted saying "Don't get me wrong, I really respect every professional golfer, but I know I haven't played to my full potential and when that happens, it will be just me and Tiger."

:greengrin

I remember that quote from Poulter!

Not sure if he’s taking the Mickey when he says stuff like that, but maybe I’m biased as I prefer him to Reed!

Golden Bear
10-04-2018, 04:18 PM
I'd be interested. They should make it clearer really. I've mellowed a bit. They're not robbers.

Just ####s.

Didn't make in today. Sometime later, I've hardly a fortune to collect.

🙄

Carheenlea
10-04-2018, 06:40 PM
There's been a lot of hatred directed towards Reed in certain quarters, though not on these boards.

Do we really expect our sportsmen to be perfect? And do we get the true picture from the media anyway? And is it any of our business whether he talks to his family or not?

I bet even Jack Nicklaus could be a bit nasty when he was up against it. I know it's sacrilege to suggest it!

I don’t think Jack Nicklaus enjoyed the adulation he was to ultimately enjoy through time when he first broke through and was a threat to the hugely popular Arnold Palmer. He was quite heavy then, sported closely cropped hair, and was christened ‘Fat Jack’ by the galleries who were cool towards him.
I had to smile when he dug out the Hazeltine brolly during the Saturday rain - “good on you” was my thoughts. Enjoyed watching him play, and enjoyed a terrific Masters Tournament.

greenlex
10-04-2018, 06:49 PM
Eddie Pepperall tweeted this and I found it quite amusing.

Heads up. If I ever win a Major, they’ll bring up my past tweets about masturbation. Doesn’t mean I’m a ****er. Thankfully I came from a ‘functional’ family where I used to chase my brother around with a pool cue and once shat myself in Budgens car park.

WeeRussell
12-04-2018, 12:00 PM
I have no huge issue with Reed.. his antics are what goes on at the Ryder Cup. It's the one tournament in golf that is different like that. A lot of us over here like him less because it's on the American side.

He may have said some silly things in the past, and he wasn't necessarily who I wanted to win. But no doubt he deserved it and there are far worse people in sport than him. Well played Patrick.

I stand by my opinion that Speith will win more majors than McIlroy. I genuinely think the lad is sensational (albeit with my limited golf knowledge).

heretoday
12-04-2018, 09:22 PM
I don’t think Jack Nicklaus enjoyed the adulation he was to ultimately enjoy through time when he first broke through and was a threat to the hugely popular Arnold Palmer. He was quite heavy then, sported closely cropped hair, and was christened ‘Fat Jack’ by the galleries who were cool towards him.
I had to smile when he dug out the Hazeltine brolly during the Saturday rain - “good on you” was my thoughts. Enjoyed watching him play, and enjoyed a terrific Masters Tournament.

Apparently Palmer's fans used to stand by the fairways and flash mirrors in the sun to put Jack off.