PDA

View Full Version : The red

lord bunberry
10-03-2018, 09:16 PM
I’m currently enjoying a wine renaissance, and I never thought I’d have such appreciation of a good red. I’m really interested to hear what the rest of you think. Rioja is what’s doing it for me right now, but I’m not adverse to a Merlot or a cabaret Sauvignon.

Peevemor
10-03-2018, 10:11 PM
I'm not a huge red wine drinker, but am lucky to have mates that really know their stuff (wine savvy is almost a national pass time here, as opposed to the show-offy thing it can sometimes be in the UK). If I were to choose, then merlot's a good shout, but I also like the peppery taste you can get with Shiraz and Pinot Noir)

Interestingly, people here rave about wine deals to be found in Lidl of all places.

lord bunberry
11-03-2018, 03:16 AM
I'm not a huge red wine drinker, but am lucky to have mates that really know their stuff (wine savvy is almost a national pass time here, as opposed to the show-offy thing it can sometimes be in the UK). If I were to choose, then merlot's a good shout, but I also like the peppery taste you can get with Shiraz and Pinot Noir)

Interestingly, people here rave about wine deals to be found in Lidl of all places.
Years ago when I worked as a baker, I worked in a place that was owned by a couple of guys from France. It always amazed me that they couldn’t eat lunch until they found a nice wine to go with the cheese and bread that we had in the bakery. They always complained that the price of a decent bottle of wine here was double or triple the price of the French equivalent.

Steve-O
11-03-2018, 05:41 AM
Pinot Noir from Central Otago, New Zealand

overdrive
11-03-2018, 07:58 AM
A Californian Zinfandel is my favourite. An Italian Primitivo is good as well (same grape as Zinfandel) and Lidl do a good one but I prefer the Californian stuff for some reason.

I also like an Argentinian Malbec (particularly with steak), Kiwi Pinot Noir, Kiwi Syrah (which is Shiraz) or a Cab Sav (not really fussed where it’s from).

We’ve done a fair amount of wine tasting tours on our travels (Napa Valley, Tuscany, Waiheke and Hawkes Bay in NZ) that have increased our appreciation of wine.

Billy Whizz
11-03-2018, 09:42 AM
I love red wine, usually Spanish. If you like Rioja, you’ll love Tempranillo
I also like my red wine cold, know it’s a crime, but goes down so easily when it’s chilled

sleeping giant
11-03-2018, 09:51 AM
I love red wine, usually Spanish. If you like Rioja, you’ll love Tempranillo
I also like my red wine cold, know it’s a crime, but goes down so easily when it’s chilled

Think it was Scouse who mentioned that the room temperature recommendation was from over 100 years ago when room temperatures were much colder than we have now.
So chilled might actually be the way to go :agree:

Peevemor
11-03-2018, 10:10 AM
Think it was Scouse who mentioned that the room temperature recommendation was from over 100 years ago when room temperatures were much colder than we have now.
So chilled might actually be the way to go :agree:When eating in pals' houses, the best red will ordinarily be served with the main course (depending on what we're eating) after being decanted and kept somewhere cool for an hour or so.

If the menu means that a white is in order, the good red will usually make an appearance with the cheese.

If nobody wants cheese, then it will be drunk and savoured after the meal.

Scouse Hibee
11-03-2018, 12:12 PM

I did indeed and I prefer my red wine chilled.

speedy_gonzales
11-03-2018, 12:54 PM
You can't beat a chilled sparkling Shiraz!

Billy Whizz
11-03-2018, 09:09 PM
I did indeed and I prefer my red wine chilled.

Me too, nothing worse than luke warm red wine
Presume the establishment you work for, serve it cold/chilled?

Jim44
11-03-2018, 10:44 PM
For me, red wine at room temperature brings out the most flavour, but I can see where the ‘slightly chilled’ preference comes from. My ‘go to’ red at the moment is Argentinian Malbec. 🍇🍷

Hibee87
12-03-2018, 03:43 PM
I like Rioja, and as said (sure I replied to this in the other thread as well) I put it in the fridge.

I dont drink it very much though as it tends to get me pretty wrecked quickly and the head the next day doesn't mix with a 5 year old son.

pollution
12-03-2018, 04:25 PM
I only drink Beaujolais, a bottle per day.

Sounds a lot but it is a light wine 12.5* and very easy to drink with food. All supermarkets sell it

but Morrisons and Asda are best. Give it a try!

Colr
14-03-2018, 09:27 PM
I’m currently enjoying a wine renaissance, and I never thought I’d have such appreciation of a good red. I’m really interested to hear what the rest of you think. Rioja is what’s doing it for me right now, but I’m not adverse to a Merlot or a cabaret Sauvignon.

I’ve got a sparkling red in the fridge waiting for the spring to arrive so I can drink it!

Billy Whizz
14-03-2018, 09:29 PM
I only drink Beaujolais, a bottle per day.

Sounds a lot but it is a light wine 12.5* and very easy to drink with food. All supermarkets sell it

but Morrisons and Asda are best. Give it a try!

A bottle everyday?

Steve-O
15-03-2018, 01:12 AM
A bottle everyday?

Light at 12.5%, a full 1% less than most other wines :hilarious

rodhibs55
15-03-2018, 11:53 AM
Some fantastic wines, red, white and green, (vinho verde), from Portugal. Portuguese wine is very under rated in particular wine from the Duro region.

overdrive
15-03-2018, 05:06 PM
Some fantastic wines, red, white and green, (vinho verde), from Portugal. Portuguese wine is very under rated in particular wine from the Duro region.

Indeed. We were in Portugal twice last year and loved the wine. The main trip was for my sister-in-law’s wedding which took place on a vineyard (or ‘Quinta’ as the locals call them). Unlimited booze included in the cost of hiring it as a venue as well ;)

hibsbollah
15-03-2018, 05:11 PM
I like old world reds:French and Italian more than Aussie or California. And it's tragically unfashionable but I always try to get some Beaujolais Nouveau in November, it's just the most cheerful wine in existence.

Also a word for Château Musar from the Bekaa Valley in the Lebanon, amazing wine, amazing back story. Hard to get hold of but majestic had some 2005 recently at about £20.

pollution
15-03-2018, 05:17 PM
A bottle everyday?

Yes, for over ten years. Absolutely no bad after effects.

heretoday
16-03-2018, 10:08 PM
Wine's a bit hit or miss. That's the interest in it, I suppose. When you discover one you like it's a joy. But it's a downer when a red tastes like chalk dust or a white like paint stripper. Generally, I'd say the more you spend the safer you are.

Pete
17-03-2018, 07:59 PM
I love red wine but I’ll admit that it all tastes the same to me.

It has to be chilled too.

Hibbyradge
21-03-2018, 07:56 PM
I meant to post this here.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/science-technology/people-discovered-who-drink-wine-for-its-flavour-20171121139474

IGRIGI
22-03-2018, 03:08 PM

8 months into life in France and I've almost reached this point already.

lapsedhibee
23-03-2018, 05:06 PM

How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?

lapsedhibee
23-03-2018, 05:07 PM
I love red wine but I’ll admit that it all tastes the same to me.

It has to be chilled too.

Bet it won't all taste the same if you drink it at a proper temperature.

pollution
24-03-2018, 11:22 AM
How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?

Two and a half years until a free bus pass!

Killiehibbie
24-03-2018, 12:39 PM
Wait until you don't get any for a few days and tell me there's no after effects:wink:

lapsedhibee
24-03-2018, 03:30 PM
Two and a half years until a free bus pass!

:aok: Aren't you a bit concerned about possible long-term effects (say, in another 15 or 20 years)?

pollution
24-03-2018, 04:05 PM
Fair question.

In truth, I have never felt better. I always eat at the same time and I take plenty of exercise.

Who knows how I will be in ten years time but having seen siblings die in their forties, who didn't drink or smoke, I will not hold back - within reason!

Wembley67
24-03-2018, 07:26 PM

Funnily enough I'm sitting in Lisbon right now after being on a wine tour! Green wine I think is more like a breakfast wine on holiday, drunk a lot from the Douro region, the Doa stuff is better. We are coming back in September for the harvest, cannot wait 😀

Wembley67
24-03-2018, 07:31 PM
Obviously red is a very personal choice and I blow my nose at anyone that tells me how to drink it. A friend of a friend that has his own yard swears by warming the red wine bottle in the micro for 5 secs or even putting the bottle in the shower to bring it up above room temperature. I like to try different things so I gave it a try and the taste is like a completely different drink, try it sometime and you can blow your nose in my general direction 😀

lapsedhibee
24-03-2018, 07:41 PM
Who knows how I will be in ten years time but having seen siblings die in their forties, who didn't drink or smoke, I will not hold back
Fair dos!

A friend of a friend that has his own yard swears by warming the red wine bottle in the micro for 5 secs or even putting the bottle in the shower to bring it up above room temperature. I like to try different things so I gave it a try and the taste is like a completely different drink, try it sometime and you can blow your nose in my general direction 😀
:agree: Slightly above room temp for most flavour.

lapsedhibee
24-03-2018, 07:49 PM

Room temperature in Scotland or in Italy/Spain? :dunno:

Scouse Hibee
24-03-2018, 10:14 PM
Room temperature in Scotland or in Italy/Spain? :dunno:

In the Winter or Summer.

Jim44
25-03-2018, 02:01 PM

I was in Porto a couple of years ago and drank a fair bit of Douro red. It was top notch but you don’t seem to find much of it here.

Mibbes Aye
25-03-2018, 03:42 PM
[/B]

I was in Porto a couple of years ago and drank a fair bit of Douro red. It was top notch but you don’t seem to find much of it here.

It’s difficult to get much in the way of Portuguese wine here, outwith wine merchants and online, and Douro tends to be the most common, understandably.

Other regions worth looking out for are Dao, Transmontano and Alentejo for a range of full-bodied reds.

Portugal is obviously known for vinho verde, a slightly spritzy white that’s perfect for outdoors in the summer.

Personal favourite is Moscatel, a rich and delicious dessert wine. They make it in Douro but the Setúbal variety is my preference.

Chez
25-03-2018, 04:31 PM
One of my work colleagues mentioned to a customer to look and feel the "pit" on the base of the bottle - the deeper it is, the better quality of the wine. Is this true at all?

Wembley67
25-03-2018, 04:44 PM
One of my work colleagues mentioned to a customer to look and feel the "pit" on the base of the bottle - the deeper it is, the better quality of the wine. Is this true at all?

No, nothing to do with quality. It's in relation to how long you can keep it for. The deeper the pit helps with the sediment that may gather inside the bottle over the period. The deepest pit that I know of means you can store it for 20yrs from the date of harvest.

Chez
25-03-2018, 04:50 PM
No, nothing to do with quality. It's in relation to how long you can keep it for. The deeper the pit helps with the sediment that may gather inside the bottle over the period. The deepest pit that I know of means you can store it for 20yrs from the date of harvest.

Thsnk you for clarifying that :thumbsup:

speedy_gonzales
25-03-2018, 06:14 PM
Was served a bottle of rioja at Cafe
Café Andaluz yesterday that was well above room temperature. Pointed this out to my wife at the time and wasn't sure what to make of it,,,, turns out warm red wine is bloody acidic and causes horrific heartburn.

lapsedhibee
27-03-2018, 06:58 PM
turns out warm red wine is bloody acidic and causes horrific heartburn.

All red wine is acidic and causes heartburn if you drink enough of it. Are you suggesting warming makes a difference? :dunno:

Scouse Hibee
27-03-2018, 07:54 PM
Was served a bottle of rioja at Cafe
Café Andaluz yesterday that was well above room temperature. Pointed this out to my wife at the time and wasn't sure what to make of it,,,, turns out warm red wine is bloody acidic and causes horrific heartburn.

Perception of various elements in a wine can change dramatically with things like temperature, aging and exposure to air. For example, the colder the wine is, the sharper the acidity will feel, in part because the cold also masks any sweetness the wine has, mutes the aromatics and makes the wine’s body seems less full. As a wine warms up, it can come across as sweeter and more aromatic, its acidity will be masked.

speedy_gonzales
27-03-2018, 08:57 PM
All red wine is acidic and causes heartburn if you drink enough of it. Are you suggesting warming makes a difference? :dunno:

Perception of various elements in a wine can change dramatically with things like temperature, aging and exposure to air. For example, the colder the wine is, the sharper the acidity will feel, in part because the cold also masks any sweetness the wine has, mutes the aromatics and makes the wine’s body seems less full. As a wine warms up, it can come across as sweeter and more aromatic, its acidity will be masked.

I have drunk more than my fair share of red wine, at various temperatures (from chilled Shiraz to local Greek wine left out in the sun) and have NEVER suffered such discomfort before.
It certainly won't put me off going back but I'll try not to drink from a bottle that feels like it's been lying next to an oven,,,,