PDA

View Full Version : Who will be next Arsenal coach (Wenger's still hanging on)

ekhibee
06-03-2018, 12:45 PM
Joachim Loew is best price 7/2 fav at the moment, I know it's not Hibs-related, but it's a tasty price in my opinion..

SChibs
06-03-2018, 12:50 PM
Gunnersaurus

GreenNWhiteArmy
06-03-2018, 12:50 PM
Ancelloti with maybe Patrick Vieira as assistant till end of next season before the latter takes over full time?

Or Sol Campbell. He'll fancy his chances :)

Monts
06-03-2018, 12:52 PM
Craig Levein - He knows what it takes to not win anything

hfc rd
06-03-2018, 01:17 PM
Ian Cathro will be a very good appointment.

Thecat23
06-03-2018, 01:21 PM
Mikel Arteta is the name going about.

The_Horde
06-03-2018, 01:25 PM
Arsene Wenger

Mibbes Aye
06-03-2018, 01:58 PM
Joachim Loew is best price 7/2 fav at the moment, I know it's not Hibs-related, but it's a tasty price in my opinion..

Loew has long been considered a favourite. He will be busy with Germany in the summer and still has a couple of years left on his contract.

Thomas Tuchel has also been cited in the past and he's currently without a club. Arsenal recently appointed Sven Mislintat as their Head of Recruitment however - Mislintat became available after falling out with Tuchel at Dortmund, so whether the two can bury their differences would be the question.

The outside bet might be Leonardo Jardim, the Monaco manager.

But perhaps there might be neatness in Loew going to Arsenal and Tuchel taking on the Germany job? The only problem with this is that Bayern Munich are expected to announce next season's manager in a few weeks, with the current interim boss, Jupp Heynckes, stepping down at the end of this season. Tuchel would be a natural favourite given how he likes his teams to play though there are suggestions that he isn't popular with the Bayern hierarchy. Regardless, Bayern are on record as saying they want a German-speaking manager, which narrows the pool.

Regardless of who gets it, the key to arresting Arsenal's decline lies in strengthening in a number of areas but perhaps none more so than the 'Patrick Vieira' role. Gilberto Silva replaced Vieira very successfully but after he left, Wenger has auditioned everybody and their dog in that position without ever finding a truly top-class solution. That's perhaps because the players he has tried out were often playmakers like Wilshere, Ramsey, Arteta and Cazorla or industrious but unimposing types like Song. Wenger firmly believed Abou Diaby was the player and showed a lot of faith in him but Diaby only managed two good seasons out of his nine full ones at Arsenal due to chronic injuries.

A player Arsenal have long been linked with but never seemed to have approached is William Carvalho, at Sporting CP. I saw him in a Primeira Liga game at the end of January and he looked like the kind of player they so desperately need (and have done for so long now) - imposing but technically refined, comfortable with both feet, adept at breaking up play in front of his own box and and spreading play in front of the opposition box.

Sauzee16
06-03-2018, 02:31 PM
Big Carlo with Henry assisting.

Saying that it will be partially Wegners decision so you ar probably looking at Laurent Blanc or Didier Dechamps perhaps an outside bet of Zizzi?

Lago
06-03-2018, 02:34 PM
Billy Brown, he's been places you know!

Billy Whizz
06-03-2018, 02:35 PM

Can’t see him taking the job before the World Cup

scuttle
06-03-2018, 03:03 PM

Eddie Howe must be due a bigger job worked wonders at Bournemouth

Sauzee16
06-03-2018, 03:33 PM
Can’t see him taking the job before the World Cup

Would he have to?

Danderhall Hibs
06-03-2018, 03:44 PM
Is Brendan Rogers in the mix?

Sauzee16
06-03-2018, 03:46 PM

No chance.

Scouse Hibee
06-03-2018, 03:51 PM

Yes he is, no surprise to see him there either.

RoslinInstHibby
06-03-2018, 04:01 PM
No chance.

don't think it would be a bad appointment tbh

hibsbollah
06-03-2018, 04:21 PM
Maurizio Sarri from Napoli is the one they should be looking at. Fantastic style of football, gets the most out of veteran players (Hamcik, Mertens) like Arsenal have, and wins a helluva lot of games. Lots of other moneyed clubs will be after him as well, but Arsenal would be a good fit. There are lots better candidates than Brendan Rogers out there for Arsenal.

RoslinInstHibby
06-03-2018, 04:25 PM
Maurizio Sarri from Napoli is the one they should be looking at. Fantastic style of football, gets the most out of veteran players (Hamcik, Mertens) like Arsenal have, and wins a helluva lot of games. Lots of other moneyed clubs will be after him as well, but Arsenal would be a good fit. There are lots better candidates than Brendan Rogers out there for Arsenal.

would the better candidates want to go to arsenal though? they are way behind the other "big sides"

snooky
06-03-2018, 04:28 PM
If they wait till we're about to play The Rangers, then Neil Lennon will become the hot favourite.

Iggy Pope
06-03-2018, 04:42 PM
would the better candidates want to go to arsenal though? they are way behind the other "big sides"

Are there many other "big sides" the scale of Arsenal looking for a manager? Massive club.

RoslinInstHibby
06-03-2018, 04:45 PM
Are there many other "big sides" the scale of Arsenal looking for a manager? Massive club.

if you believe some of the press then Real Madrid, Chelsea and Man Utd need new managers....

Mibbes Aye
06-03-2018, 04:55 PM

Pluses - based in London; massive salary; outstanding facilities for coaching your team; sizeable transfer kitty (though not in the top, top bracket); nucleus of a decent team, all around a good age; crop of very promising youngsters just breaking through; culture of playing very attractive football

Minuses - increasingly harder to compete financially with EPL competitors; knock-on effect on scope for CL qualification; internal wranglings at Board level causing uncertainty; number of positions needing strengthened; with ageing players in defence in particular

For a lot of managers, they're a very attractive opposition IMO. I can actually see Jardim being the right potential option.

HibbyAndy
06-03-2018, 05:06 PM
Diego Simone

Iggy Pope
06-03-2018, 05:08 PM
if you believe some of the press then Real Madrid, Chelsea and Man Utd need new managers....

I don't.....

Captain Trips
06-03-2018, 05:25 PM
Joachim Low would be an excellent appointment for any club, he has an excellent record at both club and country. I think he would work well at Aresnal whom need to be challenging for titles not drifiting away from them. Arsenal are in danger of becoming what Liverpool have been in last 25yrs and living on the glory of the late 90s early 00s as Liverpool did in the 80s.

Colr
06-03-2018, 05:35 PM
Won 2 of the last three trophies they were up for and was a finalist in the other. No wonder they want rid of him.

They deserve to go into terminal decline.

hibsbollah
06-03-2018, 05:38 PM

That's the question :greengrin

One of the upsides to that Kronke guy's much-pilloried patience with Wenger's chronic underachievement is that Sarri or similar well thought of candidates might feel they won't have a threat of being sacked hanging over their shoulder every five minutes. Job security must matter to these people as well as the annual salary...

hibsbollah
06-03-2018, 05:43 PM
Pluses - based in London; massive salary; outstanding facilities for coaching your team; sizeable transfer kitty (though not in the top, top bracket); nucleus of a decent team, all around a good age; crop of very promising youngsters just breaking through; culture of playing very attractive football

Minuses - increasingly harder to compete financially with EPL competitors; knock-on effect on scope for CL qualification; internal wranglings at Board level causing uncertainty; number of positions needing strengthened; with ageing players in defence in particular

For a lot of managers, they're a very attractive opposition IMO. I can actually see Jardim being the right potential option.

Jardims blotted his copybook a bit by getting papped out of the Champions league this season. He got lucky with a fantastic group of young players at Monaco last year. I think the juries still out on him.

sauzee=legend
06-03-2018, 06:05 PM
Stubbs!!!!

RoslinInstHibby
06-03-2018, 06:42 PM

One of the upsides to that Kronke guy's much-pilloried patience with Wenger's chronic underachievement is that Sarri or similar well thought of candidates might feel they won't have a threat of being sacked hanging over their shoulder every five minutes. Job security must matter to these people as well as the annual salary...

Yeah that's true, I feel for the guy tbh, his side's over the years have played some fantastic football, they just can't compete financially now

Mibbes Aye
06-03-2018, 06:42 PM
Jardims blotted his copybook a bit by getting papped out of the Champions league this season. He got lucky with a fantastic group of young players at Monaco last year. I think the juries still out on him.

Jardim has had success with all his previous clubs, building up in scale, and was particularly successful during his stint at Sporting CP with a very young team.

Regarding his time at Monaco, that's the thing though - he (again) took a young team, fashioned them over a couple of seasons and produced a side who won the league comfortably and with flair, notwithstanding the quality of the PSG team they were competing against. And then over-performed relative to expectation in Europe. That leads to his side being cherry-picked in the close season, so he replaced the losses with more young talent.

It's cyclical, so they slumped in this season's ECL (and post-successful season slumps are far from uncommon), but they are comfortable in second in the league. Marseilles aren't far behind on points but when you look at the goals columns then that conveys a truer picture of performances. I expect them to continue well this season and be stronger next season. And then no doubt be cherry-picked again and so on.......

As far as the Arsenal job goes, I think you're right about the loyalty thing but it cuts both ways - the club want someone who would be there for the long-haul. Loew potentially fits the bill and he's achieved at international level so the prospect of trying his hand at a big-name club might appeal (and he improved Germany after taking over). Arsenal really need someone with an eye for a good signing, preferably younger players, who can then shape them into a team that competes with their far better-financed rivals. And then repeat.

There's possibly a few coaches out there who can do that, but only a few at the level we're talking about. Jardim's career has been an upward trajectory so far with ever-increasing levels of difficulty so he's definitely a contender for me.

RossScott1991
06-03-2018, 06:53 PM
Won 2 of the last three trophies they were up for and was a finalist in the other. No wonder they want rid of him.

They deserve to go into terminal decline.

To be fair, other clubs would look at that and think yeah, they have won 3 fa cups recently what can they complain about. But think the bigger picture is the decline at Arsenal, seeing their closest rivals miles above them. Tottenham replacing them as top dogs in North London. And no real signs of them ever challenging again in the near future. Their fans are realistic, they just want Arsenal to spend the money they know they have, and just atleast look close to challenging again. They are miles off.

They have seriously declined under Wenger, who no longer has the magic touch in transfer window as the rest of Europe all have massive scouting networks.

jacomo
06-03-2018, 07:22 PM
Arsenal is a massively attractive club for any manager, make no mistake.

One of the richest clubs in the richest league in the world, in a city that players want to live in.

Crazy fool Wenger should have gone upstairs years ago and appointed a younger head coach. Bit sad to see him trash his reputation like this.

Same Sleeves
06-03-2018, 07:40 PM
To be fair, other clubs would look at that and think yeah, they have won 3 fa cups recently what can they complain about. But think the bigger picture is the decline at Arsenal, seeing their closest rivals miles above them. Tottenham replacing them as top dogs in North London. And no real signs of them ever challenging again in the near future. Their fans are realistic, they just want Arsenal to spend the money they know they have, and just atleast look close to challenging again. They are miles off.

They have seriously declined under Wenger, who no longer has the magic touch in transfer window as the rest of Europe all have massive scouting networks.

Tottingham finished above us last season for the first time in 20yrs and they had there best season for ages and we still go and win the fa cup for a record 13th time,it will take more than a few finishes above the Arsenal for them to become the top dogs of north London, a trophy would help

Ardenttwo
06-03-2018, 09:06 PM

Neil Lennon

Billy Whizz
06-03-2018, 09:08 PM
Think Arsenal need a charismatic figure after Wenger
Should go for Klopp, would reunite the Fans

Is It On....
06-03-2018, 09:09 PM

Wenger is on £9.5m per annum according to my mate (who follows them home and away) and that's the revenue from 9,500 season ticket holders !!! The view is that Wenger won't go unless he is sacked and there seems precious little appetite for that amongst the Arsenal hierarchy.

Lancs Harp
06-03-2018, 09:10 PM
I think the Ar5e will make a move for Simeone.

Whats Bruce Rioch doing these days? :wink:

RyeSloan
06-03-2018, 10:04 PM
Tottingham finished above us last season for the first time in 20yrs and they had there best season for ages and we still go and win the fa cup for a record 13th time,it will take more than a few finishes above the Arsenal for them to become the top dogs of north London, a trophy would help

Indeed. Perspective required [emoji1303]

Still I agree with the other post that says Wenger should have went upstairs before now and really he made a terrible decision to sign for 2 more years.

WWFTWTG
06-03-2018, 10:10 PM
Diego Simone

Good chance of this.

Colr
06-03-2018, 10:12 PM

Minus - fans are a bunch of whining glorychasers.

Colr
06-03-2018, 10:13 PM

Spurs would have beeb glad to win the FA cup.

Pete
06-03-2018, 10:20 PM
The football Arsenal played around ten years ago was absolutely breathtaking and it’s a shame that team never won more.

Times change though and Arsenal are now in that second tier, along with Spurs and Liverpool. They might win a trophy or two but if one of the big boys (City or Chelsea) comes in for a player they will be off like a shot. Shame but that’s the way it is.

They can still attract one of the best managers in the world though, as could probably any of the big six in England. I expect a big name.

MWHIBBIES
07-03-2018, 12:19 AM
Minus - fans are a bunch of whining glorychasers.

For 2k a season ticket they are right to expect the club to be moving forward, not backwards. They havent progressed at all in the last 5 years and they are far worse than 10 years ago.

Sauzee16
07-03-2018, 12:37 AM
The football Arsenal played around ten years ago was absolutely breathtaking and it’s a shame that team never won more.

Times change though and Arsenal are now in that second tier, along with Spurs and Liverpool. They might win a trophy or two but if one of the big boys (City or Chelsea) comes in for a player they will be off like a shot. Shame but that’s the way it is.

They can still attract one of the best managers in the world though, as could probably any of the big six in England. I expect a big name.

City or Chelsea big boys 😂😂😂

Same Sleeves
07-03-2018, 03:46 AM
For 2k a season ticket they are right to expect the club to be moving forward, not backwards. They havent progressed at all in the last 5 years and they are far worse than 10 years ago.

There are £2000 season tickets right up to £100.000 if you like fine dining with your football but the season ticket holders from the Highbury days who had first choice at the new stadium will be paying on average £900 to £1600 and that includes the first 7 home cup ties and if we don't have 7 home cup ties then they get credit for next season and that makes the average ticket price per game come down to an amount that' is closer to the other top sides and I'm not saying that they charge a fair amount but whenever you see a comparison of English premier league season tickets no one seems to mention that the Arsenals is for 26 games and not 19

Smartie
07-03-2018, 07:45 AM
City or Chelsea big boys ������

You may not like it, but that's the way it is right now.

They are the clubs with the most financial muscle, therefore they must be considered to currently be the big boys.

It has been quite comical over the past few years to hear the likes of Man U fans moaning about City and Chelsea's spending power.

The Yammish "aye, but European Cups/ attendances/ trophies won/ consecutive years in the top flight/ most recent silverware" arguments can rage in pubs and on message boards, but the outcomes of those debates won't change the fact that City especially are in the strongest position to hoover up the best players, and will probably win the most trophies over the next decade.

Colr
07-03-2018, 09:18 AM

Real fans then, rather than knobends paying to bath in some pre-packaged glory. Bunch of ****ers.

Colr
08-03-2018, 07:59 PM
2-0 against AC Milan? What have the whining gunners got to say now?

Haymaker
08-03-2018, 08:04 PM

Wait until they lose 3-0 next leg!

calumhibee1
08-03-2018, 08:05 PM

You must be a Spurs fan to think Wenger should still be in a job!

Sauzee16
08-03-2018, 08:06 PM
You may not like it, but that's the way it is right now.

They are the clubs with the most financial muscle, therefore they must be considered to currently be the big boys.

It has been quite comical over the past few years to hear the likes of Man U fans moaning about City and Chelsea's spending power.

The Yammish "aye, but European Cups/ attendances/ trophies won/ consecutive years in the top flight/ most recent silverware" arguments can rage in pubs and on message boards, but the outcomes of those debates won't change the fact that City especially are in the strongest position to hoover up the best players, and will probably win the most trophies over the next decade.

Manchester United are still the biggest club in England by a mile. Now they are flexing financial muscles having sat back the best part of ten years it will be both Manchester Clubs dominating for a long time in main because of the Saudi ££ pumping into City. For a very good footballing side playing the best football since the Arsenal invincibles their attendances are shocking still.

Sauzee16
08-03-2018, 08:07 PM

Probably enjoy the Europa League quarter finals?

jacomo
08-03-2018, 08:10 PM

Lol.

lapsedhibee
08-03-2018, 08:12 PM
I didn't see the game but I knew beforehand, because all the media agreed it with themselves, that Wenger is senile, players have downed tools, blablabla. Presume two own goals by Italian players who had put large bets on themselves to lose? :dunno:

MWHIBBIES
08-03-2018, 08:32 PM
2-0 against AC Milan? What have the whining gunners got to say now?Yeah, I bet they are delighted. struggling to stay above Burnley, humped out the FA Cup, humped in the League cup final, made no progress in years but they turned up and played to their potential tonight. All is well.

Do you honestly believe Wenger is doing a good job?

lapsedhibee
08-03-2018, 08:42 PM
Yeah, I bet they are delighted. struggling to stay above Burnley, humped out the FA Cup, humped in the League cup final, made no progress in years but they turned up and played to their potential tonight. All is well.

Do you honestly believe there is the slightest chance that they will finish below Burnley?

MWHIBBIES
08-03-2018, 08:45 PM
Do you honestly believe there is the slightest chance that they will finish below Burnley?

No because Burnley have struggled over the last 10 games. If they had continued their early season form they'd be ahead of Arsenal right now. 5 points between those teams with the talent available tells me Wenger is doing a pretty poor job in the league. Just 33 points off the top.

Colr
08-03-2018, 09:06 PM
Yeah, I bet they are delighted. struggling to stay above Burnley, humped out the FA Cup, humped in the League cup final, made no progress in years but they turned up and played to their potential tonight. All is well.

FA cup nine months ago? I suppose winning trophies does tend to mask the downward spiral.

jacomo
08-03-2018, 09:11 PM

It’s not about this season.

It’s about failing to challenge for the league or CL for a decade.

MWHIBBIES
08-03-2018, 09:48 PM
FA cup nine months ago? I suppose winning trophies does tend to mask the downward spiral.Yes, it really does. Winning the FA cup is great but not enough for a club that size. They need progress, to be competing on all fronts, not the same failings every single year.

Do you honestly think he is doing a good job?

lapsedhibee
08-03-2018, 10:08 PM
Yes, it really does. Winning the FA cup is great but not enough for a club that size. They need progress, to be competing on all fronts, not the same failings every single year.

Do you honestly think he is doing a good job?

He's done an outstanding job of delivering what he's been employed to do over the last couple of decades, imo. Nothing lasts forever but the vilification he gets is ridiculous.

MWHIBBIES
08-03-2018, 10:34 PM
He's done an outstanding job of delivering what he's been employed to do over the last couple of decades, imo. Nothing lasts forever but the vilification he gets is ridiculous.The first decade absolutely, the last 10 years have seen the team get further away from being a title winning squad every season. He has still done impressive things no question, 3 FA Cups in 4 years is a very good thing but it really has papered over the cracks that are pretty huge now.

He should've announced this time last year he was leaving, won the cup and went into the sunset a hero. He is tarnishing his own legacy now and some of the things being said about him are getting very nasty.

ekhibee
09-03-2018, 02:37 AM
The first decade absolutely, the last 10 years have seen the team get further away from being a title winning squad every season. He has still done impressive things no question, 3 FA Cups in 4 years is a very good thing but it really has papered over the cracks that are pretty huge now.

He should've announced this time last year he was leaving, won the cup and went into the sunset a hero. He is tarnishing his own legacy now and some of the things being said about him are getting very nasty.
Yep, you've hit the nail on the head really, he just doesn't seem to have addressed the continued failings in certain positions, and his best players, who can sometimes look world class, are generally inconsistent or injured. In some ways I can see why Wenger's still there, in other ways I have to wonder, he's a highly intelligent man, a qualified civil engineer who could easily have made his name in a totally different profession. His legacy will hopefully be the 'invincibles', a brilliant team to watch, achieving something that no other English team has done, but as you say, the longer he clings on to this job the easier it is to see the shortcomings he has, and the team too.

overdrive
09-03-2018, 07:34 AM
Manchester United are still the biggest club in England by a mile. Now they are flexing financial muscles having sat back the best part of ten years it will be both Manchester Clubs dominating for a long time in main because of the Saudi ££ pumping into City. For a very good footballing side playing the best football since the Arsenal invincibles their attendances are shocking still.

Is the core support there for City though? If an Arab prince bought us, pumped cash into us, built us a 60,000 stadium and had us winning the Champions League whilst playing like Barca, we’d probably have “shocking” attendances too in comparison to the likes of Man Utd or even Celtic. I do realise Man City were a bigger club than us support base wise to begin with but it is relative.

Scouse Hibee
09-03-2018, 07:53 AM
It’s not about this season.

It’s about failing to challenge for the league or CL for a decade.

That's always going to be case for lots of teams though, inevitably the EPL race normally comes down to two or three teams. The financials play a massive part and always have done even before the "new" money arrived. Everyone wants to be up there but it's become so difficult that finishing fourth in a CL place is now considered an achievement worthy of calling success.

hibsbollah
09-03-2018, 11:48 AM
Jardim has had success with all his previous clubs, building up in scale, and was particularly successful during his stint at Sporting CP with a very young team.

Regarding his time at Monaco, that's the thing though - he (again) took a young team, fashioned them over a couple of seasons and produced a side who won the league comfortably and with flair, notwithstanding the quality of the PSG team they were competing against. And then over-performed relative to expectation in Europe. That leads to his side being cherry-picked in the close season, so he replaced the losses with more young talent.

It's cyclical, so they slumped in this season's ECL (and post-successful season slumps are far from uncommon), but they are comfortable in second in the league. Marseilles aren't far behind on points but when you look at the goals columns then that conveys a truer picture of performances. I expect them to continue well this season and be stronger next season. And then no doubt be cherry-picked again and so on.......

As far as the Arsenal job goes, I think you're right about the loyalty thing but it cuts both ways - the club want someone who would be there for the long-haul. Loew potentially fits the bill and he's achieved at international level so the prospect of trying his hand at a big-name club might appeal (and he improved Germany after taking over). Arsenal really need someone with an eye for a good signing, preferably younger players, who can then shape them into a team that competes with their far better-financed rivals. And then repeat.

There's possibly a few coaches out there who can do that, but only a few at the level we're talking about. Jardim's career has been an upward trajectory so far with ever-increasing levels of difficulty so he's definitely a contender for me.

I see your boy is now the bookies choice to replace Wenger, 12/5 if you are confident. If he does get it, it'll all be about 'blooding youngsters'. The Portuguese Levein?

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/performance/training/leonardo-jardims-management-masterclass