PDA

View Full Version : Nandos

Captain Trips
04-03-2018, 12:50 PM
Can someone please tell me why this place is so popular. What is it I am missing? I eat out a lot and have eaten in Nandos about 4/5 times I find it is just chicken and nothing that special. The times I have eaten in it where we were in hurry and just eat in it.

For ref I had a breast fillet burger IMO tiny, a side of peri peri fries and spicy rice. Heat rating I went for was hot. I felt the burger was overrated found the sides fine I think it was OK value at £9.95 due to the 2 sides and not main event.

It is only beat in complete over rating and over pricing by 5 guys.

H18 SFR
04-03-2018, 12:58 PM
Totally agree, can't understand the hype at all.

Frazerbob
04-03-2018, 01:00 PM
Can someone please tell me why this place is so popular. What is it I am missing? I eat out a lot and have eaten in Nandos about 4/5 times I find it is just chicken and nothing that special. The times I have eaten in it where we were in hurry and just eat in it.

For ref I had a breast fillet burger IMO tiny, a side of peri peri fries and spicy rice. Heat rating I went for was hot. I felt the burger was overrated found the sides fine I think it was OK value at £9.95 due to the 2 sides and not main event.

It is only beat in complete over rating and over pricing by 5 guys.

Could not agree more. It’s just chicken and chips.

Incidently, their site in Aberdeen has been closed all weekend due to having no chicken after delivery issues. Where was the media outcry?

Scouse Hibee
04-03-2018, 01:06 PM
Never understood the hype either. Mind you I feel the same about most of the popular fast eat places I have tried including 5 guys. The whole burger scene exploded a couple of years ago with independents and chains springing up everywhere. I tried several and found mostly that once you deconstruct the massive selection of toppings/towers, the burgers overall were average to poor.

H18 SFR
04-03-2018, 01:09 PM
Never understood the hype either. Mind you I feel the same about most of the popular fast eat places I have tried including 5 guys. The whole burger scene exploded a couple of years ago with independents and chains springing up everywhere. I tried several and found mostly that once you deconstruct the massive selection of toppings/towers, the burgers overall were average to poor.

The best burger in Scotland is the Lochside hotel in Cumnock.

BroxburnHibee
04-03-2018, 01:19 PM
Couldn't agree more. 5 Guys burgers are good but far too expensive.

hibs#1
04-03-2018, 01:22 PM
I like Nandos. I get people are saying it's just chicken but I'm ok with that. 5 guys on the other hand was awful I'd rate below McDonald's and burger king.

Pretty Boy
04-03-2018, 01:43 PM
Don't panic. We are getting a Dennys and Wagamama at Fort Kinnaird to compete soon.....

Carheenlea
04-03-2018, 01:45 PM
Often take the kids to Nandos in Belfast before getting the Ferry home. They'll eat from the kids menu which is not too bad, but it's not somewhere that blows us away. Handy for our needs but likewise, don't understand the Hype. Tried 5Guys once and enjoyed the burger, but the fries less so. The extortionate pricing ensured the visit was a one off. Used to enjoy a burger in Bells Diner, but a few years since our last visit. Not difficult to make though, and your own home made burgers are going to be just as good as anything you'll pay for dining out. Not really any great secret to making them.

Hibbyradge
04-03-2018, 02:00 PM
Bell's Diner was excellent, but like you, it's years since I've been there.

I've been to Nandos once. I'm surprised it's popular.

Geo_1875
04-03-2018, 02:12 PM
Don't panic. We are getting a Dennys and Wagamama at Fort Kinnaird to compete soon.....

We'll get a British version of Denny's, not the excellent value that you get in the US.

Captain Trips
04-03-2018, 02:41 PM
I had a good burger in counter burger Springfield Quay Glasgow.

Lunch offer think was 7.99 with soft drink it was on a plate and everything. It includes fries.

Hibrandenburg
04-03-2018, 03:36 PM
I can understand the Nandos attraction for those that consider cooking involves opening a tin or heating up something from the freezer, compared to that then Nandos must seem lush.

IGRIGI
04-03-2018, 06:43 PM
It's the restaurant of choice for Neds who's birds usually proclaim they are being "spoiled rotten" by a "cheeky wee Nandos".

Pretty Boy
04-03-2018, 06:48 PM
It's the restaurant of choice for Neds who's birds usually proclaim they are being "spoiled rotten" by a "cheeky wee Nandos".

'Nandos tho!' 'Xtra hot tho!' 'Fake tan day tho!' 'Cinema with this one tho!'.

Those type of girls

johnbc70
04-03-2018, 07:41 PM
I went to Byron Burger and I am not surprised they are closing down so many restaurants. Was extortionate prices, would not be back in a hurry. Food was average.

Haymaker
04-03-2018, 07:44 PM
Nandos is massively over rated.

I get 5guys here regular I suppose but I had one back home in London and the difference is huge.

Pretty Boy
04-03-2018, 07:52 PM
I went to Byron Burger and I am not surprised they are closing down so many restaurants. Was extortionate prices, would not be back in a hurry. Food was average.

Pretty despicable company into the bargain.

Employed illegal immigrants on minimum wage then conspired with the Home Office to entrap them and have them deported. Used their own staff to do the dirty work as well.

BroxburnHibee
04-03-2018, 08:35 PM

Yep I tried it once.

Once was enough.

easty
04-03-2018, 08:55 PM
Only been to Nando’s once. Nae rush to go back.

Five Guys is definitely overpriced, but I did like it.

Wagamama - what a load of *****. Love that style of food, but that place is terrible.

lord bunberry
04-03-2018, 09:36 PM
I’ve never been to Nando’s. I’ve been to five guys and I wasn’t impressed, in fact the best thing about it was the juice machine.

danhibees1875
05-03-2018, 07:52 AM
I don't mind nandos for what it is, but I agree it's overrated. I used to go to Portugal a lot is a kid and loved chicken piri-piri (although I believe the spice originates in Africa), it was a novelty to have it over here.

For burgers, I'd chuck in Shebeen. Had one off their lunch menu on Friday and it was fantastic.

calumhibee1
05-03-2018, 11:24 AM
Nando’s is murder. The most boring bland food I can think of. Absolutely edible mind you, I’ll give it that, just so uninspiring.

Five Guys is massively overpriced, however I do think the burgers are very decent there to be fair.

Smartie
05-03-2018, 01:28 PM
I like it.

What's not to like?

I like to have a half chicken with peri-peri fries and coleslaw when I go there. I also like the wings they do for a starter.

Not exactly haute cuisine but it's tasty enough and delivers what it is meant to.

Yes, it's maybe a bit pricey for what you get but I don't see anything to get overly fussed about.

Hibee87
05-03-2018, 01:44 PM
Its just another fast food joint really imo, but I do like it. I normally get a pitta which has haloumi, salad and caramelised onions with hot chicken. Peri Peri fris and macho peas.
I wasnt expecting much when I first tried it but if you wanting a quick munch on a sat afternoon its a step up form McDonalds, Subway, Burger king etc.

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-03-2018, 08:47 PM
I like Nandos. We always have the shared platter which is the butterfly chicken and thighs and large macho peas and coleslaw. Consistently good IMO but not complicated.

yonder1875
05-03-2018, 09:34 PM
I think Nando's is decent for what it is.. fast food chicken and chips in different varieties. Five Guys, TGI Fridays & Wagamama however, brutal.

matty_f
05-03-2018, 09:36 PM
The chicken thighs are nice, wasn't too impressed with the burger though.

Pete
05-03-2018, 10:00 PM
I don’t know why but I associate Nando’s with annoying millennial habits like snapchat, up-speak and constant selfies.

Probably the most irrational reasons not to like a place but I’ll never change.

frazeHFC
06-03-2018, 08:14 PM
The more people raved about Nandos the more I hated it for some reason. Had only been once before this year and wasn't too impressed. But for some reason over the past 2 months since I went back I've loved it. Been 3 or 4 times since. Decent value for what you get and every 3 visits gets you some free food so can't complain.

Colr
06-03-2018, 10:24 PM
the best burger in scotland is the lochside hotel in cumnock.

torridon inn