PDA

View Full Version : Seat Cupra vs VW Golf R vs Audi S3

H18 SFR
02-03-2018, 05:18 PM
All on 66 plate, what one you buying?

Scouse Hibee
02-03-2018, 05:47 PM
Having driven cars by all three of those makers the SEAT is dropped straight away.

lord bunberry
02-03-2018, 07:01 PM
All on 66 plate, what one you buying?
They’re all made by VW and are all are based on the golf. The golf is the daddy, and will probably go down as the greatest overall car ever to go into mass production. I’d buy the golf every time.

Alfiembra
02-03-2018, 07:16 PM
Have several workmates that have Golf R’s

One says the R stands for Rattle because everything in his rattles bought it new and has had it back to the dealers multiple times to no effect , great in the dry but all of them say scary in the wet and useless in the snow.

Havent driven any of these models but currently drive a Golf 2.0 tdi and it the best car I’ve ever had, also had an A3 in the past and its beautifully finished and if I had to choose I’d go for the S3, been round knockhill in a Cupra and it was a hoot but not for me.

Gatecrasher
02-03-2018, 07:16 PM
Golf R

speedy_gonzales
02-03-2018, 07:37 PM
I test drove those cars just last September, out of those 3 I'd have said the Golf was the best drive but uninspiring interior, the Audi S3 was surprisingly boring to drive and the Cupra was fun but is made for a younger man than me.

In the end I went for an M140, it wasn't on my horizon but after a test drive that left me with an ear to ear smile and an offer from Peter Vardy that I couldn't turn down I became a BMW w@ñkér.

patch1875
02-03-2018, 08:07 PM
I have a Golf R well at least for the next couple of days.

On Monday at 4am we had an attempted break in both front and rear doors smashing the glass and trying to kick it in thankfully never got past the laminated glass.

Let just say we are one scared family, they were after the car so it goes.

H18 SFR
02-03-2018, 08:15 PM
I have a Golf R well at least for the next couple of days.

On Monday at 4am we had an attempted break in both front and rear doors smashing the glass and trying to kick it in thankfully never got past the laminated glass.

Let just say we are one scared family, they were after the car so it goes.

Just read that literally an hour ago. Most stolen car in the U.K.

marinello59
02-03-2018, 08:20 PM
I’ve had an R32 for the past five years. I know the R has more power but I just can’t bear to part with that sweet V6 engine note. But if I do eventually let go it would be the understated styling of the R I’d choose over the Audi and the Seat.

Gatecrasher
02-03-2018, 08:23 PM
There are loads of stories about Golf Rs being stolen, if you plan to buy one keep it locked up at night.

GreenLake
02-03-2018, 11:59 PM
I’ve had an R32 for the past five years. I know the R has more power but I just can’t bear to part with that sweet V6 engine note. But if I do eventually let go it would be the understated styling of the R I’d choose over the Audi and the Seat.

I just bought a utility vehicle with a V6 and was thinking it would be boring but it makes some nasty sounds and has more bhp than the V8 it replaced.

Smartie
03-03-2018, 12:43 AM
I had a Golf GTI Pirelli edition a few years back.

Absolutely adored it.

I rarely drive these days but I've been out and about a bit today.

With the high risk of theft and appalling road surfaces I really don't know if I'd want a fancy car these days.

bingo70
03-03-2018, 06:44 AM
Having driven cars by all three of those makers the SEAT is dropped straight away.

I’m no car expert so not sure what criteria you’re following and likewise I’ve never driven the other two but I got a SEAT Leon around a year ago and I couldn’t recommend it highly enough.

Don’t know how the Leon compares with the Cupra though.

H18 SFR
03-03-2018, 07:04 AM
I’m no car expert so not sure what criteria you’re following and likewise I’ve never driven the other two but I got a SEAT Leon around a year ago and I couldn’t recommend it highly enough.

I actually have a Seat Leon FR 184 which has been remapped but the wife's car is ready to be replaced and she absolutely adores the Leon so wants that hence why I am looking to get one of the above. I had planned to test drive some today but the weather has scuppered that plan.

calumhibee1
03-03-2018, 08:02 AM
S3 saloon.

H18 SFR
03-03-2018, 09:52 AM
Test driving a Cupra today, the dealer said the streets are clear now around them.

patch1875
03-03-2018, 10:04 AM
Is the Cupra awd?

H18 SFR
03-03-2018, 10:07 AM
Is the Cupra awd?

Only the estate model is.

Captain Trips
03-03-2018, 10:20 AM
I got a Civic Type R last year 2ltr Turbo 306bhp, flying machine when needed and looks the part. 2015/17 model.

The new model looks good as well.

patch1875
03-03-2018, 02:04 PM
Only the estate model is.

The awd is what makes these cars as it’s a lot of power to put down.

I’m gutted mines is going as it is a superb car I decided R over S3 as I think it looks a bit better but I felt the S3 is nicer inside.

What options are ticked make a big difference come selling time as it makes them more desirable I also went for dsg as it suits the cars manual R’s seem to go through the clutch fairly quick.

H18 SFR
03-03-2018, 02:29 PM
The awd is what makes these cars as it’s a lot of power to put down.

I’m gutted mines is going as it is a superb car I decided R over S3 as I think it looks a bit better but I felt the S3 is nicer inside.

What options are ticked make a big difference come selling time as it makes them more desirable I also went for dsg as it suits the cars manual R’s seem to go through the clutch fairly quick.

I test drove the 2WD Cupra, absolute beast. Much better from a driving start than a stationary start. Some car, absolutely impressed. Hoping to test drive an S3 asap.

blaikie
03-03-2018, 02:37 PM
I test drove a Cupra and ended buying a GT86 ... far better driving experience imo but not very practical!

I’d go for the cupra as the performance on paper is similar to the R and S3 and a lot cheaper.

H18 SFR
03-03-2018, 02:52 PM
I test drove a Cupra and ended buying a GT86 ... far better driving experience imo but not very practical!

I’d go for the cupra as the performance on paper is similar to the R and S3 and a lot cheaper.

Lol, that's the kind of thing I used to do many years ago. It's definitely one of the above this time.

blaikie
03-03-2018, 05:28 PM
Lol, that's the kind of thing I used to do many years ago. It's definitely one of the above this time.

Can’t go wrong whatever the choice from those 3, Mrs has a Leon FR 1.8tsi (quite rare most are either diesel or 1.4 petrols) it’s surprisingly quick and hasn’t missed a beat in the snow over the past week whilst the GT86 is still buried in the stuff!

GreenLake
04-03-2018, 04:45 AM
They’re all made by VW and are all are based on the golf. The golf is the daddy, and will probably go down as the greatest overall car ever to go into mass production. I’d buy the golf every time.

I liked my little Puegot 1.9gti back in 1994 and used to own Golf's on the windy roads to work in Warwickshire. A mechanic took it for a test drive while servicing it and t-boned another car. I was sad to lose it.

The test for me is not 0-60 or quarter mile but who could arrive first in Dunvegan from Edinburgh. As an aside, did a vegetarian dairy avoiding branch of the MacLeod family build a castle in Dunvegan?

Galahibby
04-03-2018, 09:52 AM

I can't comment on anything more modern, but I had a Toledo 2.0 GTI back in the day (not long after VW started making them) and it's one of the best cars I've ever had. Basically a Golf GTI with more 'extras' than the Golf if I remember correctly, loads more space, and relatively no chance of being stolen. Loved it.

H18 SFR
04-03-2018, 11:52 AM
Test drive the S3 today, lovely again but just didn't strike me as £8,000 better for the same age and essentially spec of car. Same engine and chassis and all that jazz as well apparently.

Tobias Funke
07-03-2018, 11:55 AM
Getting the Leon Cupra next week, looking forward to it.

I wasn't sure about going from Audi to Seat but having tried one out the difference in quality was minimal to me. The level of standard equipment is very impressive too.

patch1875
07-03-2018, 02:00 PM
Getting the Leon Cupra next week, looking forward to it.

I wasn't sure about going from Audi to Seat but having tried one out the difference in quality was minimal to me. The level of standard equipment is very impressive too.

Nice one what colour is it?

Tobias Funke
07-03-2018, 05:10 PM
Nice one what colour is it?

Gone for “monsoon grey”. Looks pretty smart.

patch1875
07-03-2018, 05:26 PM
Gone for “monsoon grey”. Looks pretty smart.

Very nice!

H18 SFR
07-03-2018, 08:18 PM
Very nice!

How much is the road tax?

Tobias Funke
07-03-2018, 09:09 PM
How much is the road tax?

Not sure as it’s a PCH deal, won’t have to tax it myself.

Magnus
07-03-2018, 09:30 PM
Would be the Golf R for me.
Had a new Leon FR TDi a few years ago, and although there was nothing really wrong with it, it didn't have the build quality of the older TDi Golf estate my wife had at the same time.
Was very close to buying a Golf R at the end of 2016, but decided we wanted another estate with a manual box which wasnt available for the R, so went for a GTD estate instead. Very happy with it, just clicked over 10k miles this morning. Wasn't keen on the dummy exhausts on the R estate either.
S3 is also a nice bit of kit but for me wouldn't justify the premium over the R.
The 19'' Pretorias do look great on the Golf but would be a hellish ride if you were using it round Edinburgh with the state of the roads here. The 18's on the GTD are bad enough.
All the same, nice little conundrum to have, enjoy whatever you choose.

patch1875
08-03-2018, 10:27 AM
Would be the Golf R for me.
Had a new Leon FR TDi a few years ago, and although there was nothing really wrong with it, it didn't have the build quality of the older TDi Golf estate my wife had at the same time.
Was very close to buying a Golf R at the end of 2016, but decided we wanted another estate with a manual box which wasnt available for the R, so went for a GTD estate instead. Very happy with it, just clicked over 10k miles this morning. Wasn't keen on the dummy exhausts on the R estate either.
S3 is also a nice bit of kit but for me wouldn't justify the premium over the R.
The 19'' Pretorias do look great on the Golf but would be a hellish ride if you were using it round Edinburgh with the state of the roads here. The 18's on the GTD are bad enough.
All the same, nice little conundrum to have, enjoy whatever you choose.

The 19’s actually ride quite well problem is they buckle easily.

GreenLake
16-03-2018, 03:23 PM
Very distantly Audi related but I thought this advert was quite funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_L-TZARjVs