PDA

View Full Version : NHC World cup classics

Lancs Harp
27-02-2018, 08:25 PM
Your nominations? I'll refrain as an Englishman to say that game iin '66. I'll nominate Italy 3 Brazil 2 in 1982.

There should be many many matches to consider.

Broken Gnome
27-02-2018, 08:28 PM
Germany 0-2 Italy 2006.

If extending it to the Euros, then clearly the best game ever played was Holland 2 Czechs 3 in 2004.

MWHIBBIES
27-02-2018, 08:29 PM
First game of the 2006 wc, Germany 4 Costa Rica 2, was my first taste of the world cup. Fantastic game, Lahm and Frings scored incredible goals.

JohnM1875
27-02-2018, 08:30 PM
Brazil 1 - 7 Germany. Never been more shocked at a result in my life!

Pretty Boy
27-02-2018, 08:33 PM
2014. Germany 7 Brazil 1.

Ok so it was far from a vintage Brazil team but Germany were absolutely ruthless. It was a masterclass and they stamped their authority as the best international team on the planet that night. The best team might not always win the WC but in 2014 they undoubtedly did.

Lancs Harp
27-02-2018, 08:39 PM
That 7-1 game was a pretty amazing game. Germany so good, Brazil so Hearts 73

BoomtownHibees
27-02-2018, 08:40 PM
Argentina 0-1 Cameroon

Opening game of Italia 90. The “minnows” of Cameroon beating the team that made it to the final. A team filled with players such as Maradona and Cannigia.

The game is one of my earliest memories of watching football on the telly. Also had a highlights video of World Cup 90 and a massive sticker album.

This particular game also had one of the worst tackles I’ve ever seen on Cannigia after he had skipped over 3 or 4 prior to getting taken out waist high.

Hibs1969
27-02-2018, 08:42 PM
Brazil 4 Italy 1, Mexico 1970. The greatest WC final won by the greatest WC team ever. Mind you, the Brazilians of 1982 were a very fine side and if elegance and skill were enough to win a competition, they would have strolled to a win that year.

Billy Whizz
27-02-2018, 08:45 PM
The 3-2 Italy v Brazil game in the 80’s World Cup was some gs ev

Smartie
27-02-2018, 08:48 PM
That one when Maradona scored the header against England.

I forget the details, I was young at the time.

Pete
27-02-2018, 08:50 PM
England v Argentina in 1998.

Edge of seat stuff.

Lancs Harp
27-02-2018, 08:52 PM
England v Argentina in 1998.

Edge of seat stuff.

I was there Pete, suffering from heat stroke after an afternoon the previous day exploring the roman ruins of nearby Lyon.:greengrin

Was a great game, could easily have gone either way.

Dr What If?
27-02-2018, 08:54 PM
Controversial one here but here goes....Brazil 4 Scotland 1 1982. We were not bad back then but Brazil were wow, the last great ginga style Brazil team. Other than that there was the Maradona show in the 2-0 game against Belgium in 86 or more recently the France 3 Brazil 0 final in 1998.

theonlywayisup
27-02-2018, 08:59 PM
Holland 2 Scotland 3

Best Scotland team in my lifetime - we all thought we would win the World Cup.

Deansy
27-02-2018, 08:59 PM
Your nominations? I'll refrain as an Englishman to say that game iin '66. I'll nominate Italy 3 Brazil 2 in 1982.

My favourite WC game, too - despite the result !. (never liked the Italian obsession with defensive-football/cynical-play) Years later, on Portobello-beach of all places, I had the honour of meeting Socrates (captain and scorer for Brazil in that game) who was in Scotland promoting some football-tournament. Even though I was in my late 30's/early 40's, I was like a nervous wee-laddie as I waited to meet him and shake his hand ! Class player !

hibsbollah
27-02-2018, 09:04 PM
Italy 3 Brazil 2 in Espana '82. Extended to the Euros, France 4 Portugal 3 in 84 I think.

Monts
27-02-2018, 09:07 PM
Portugal v Holland in the 2006 semi final

4 players sent off I think, and Portugal held on for a 1 0 win to reach the final

MWHIBBIES
27-02-2018, 09:09 PM
Portugal v Holland in the 2006 semi final

4 players sent off I think, and Portugal held on for a 1 0 win to reach the final

Battle of Nuremberg. Was the quarter final I believe.

Pete
27-02-2018, 09:12 PM
I can remember most games up until 1998.

After that they see to all blend into one for some reason. Korea, South Africa, Somewhere I can’t remember, Brazil or wherever it was...meh

Pretty Boy
27-02-2018, 09:16 PM
Battle of Nuremberg. Was the quarter final I believe.

Players didn’t help but the ref totally lost the plot. I remember Deco and Van Bronckhorst who were both at Barcelona at the time sitting together after being sent off laughing about it.

It wa the last 16, Portugal beat England in the quarter final. The famous Ronaldo wink game.

chinaman
27-02-2018, 09:30 PM
Argentina 78. mario kempes, daniel Passarella, hundreds of miles of ticker tape and wee Archie scoring the greatest goal in world cup history

Lancs Harp
27-02-2018, 09:33 PM
Argentina 78. mario kempes, daniel Passarella, hundreds of miles of ticker tape and wee Archie scoring the greatest goal in world cup history

Was that the match Bobby Charlton thought he was called Bobby McCharlton for a brief moment?:wink:

Was a great performance though, a bit too late obviously.

crewetollhibee
27-02-2018, 09:37 PM
[/B]

Was that the match Bobby Charlton thought he was called Bobby McCharlton for a brief moment?:wink:

Was a great performance though, a bit too late obviously.

If you listen closely to the BBC commentary, you can hear a voice yelling ‘it’s there, it’s there!!’. That was indeed Bobby Charlton.

Monts
27-02-2018, 09:56 PM
Players didn’t help but the ref totally lost the plot. I remember Deco and Van Bronckhorst who were both at Barcelona at the time sitting together after being sent off laughing about it.

It wa the last 16, Portugal beat England in the quarter final. The famous Ronaldo wink game.

You're right, it was the last 16. I should've known since Portugal weren't in the final.

angus hibby
27-02-2018, 10:40 PM
82 World Cup was first I really remember. Brazil had great players apart from GK and striker! The French too had a great team at that time. Remember the France v West Germany semi final, 3-3 AET if I remember correctly. Schumacher flattening Battiston. Remember being gutted when France lost on pens.

Mibbes Aye
28-02-2018, 01:04 AM

The Italy-Brazil game in 1982 is as good as it gets, an impossibly glamorous game featuring divine talent. The question should really be what was the second-best World Cup finals game :greengrin

My nominations for next-best would be the 1986 semi-final between Argentina and Belgium and the 1998 quarter-final between Netherlands and Argentina. Both featured some exquisitely talented players, with the added value of Maradona showing why he was the best player in the world in the former, and Bergkamp showing his ability to do what practically no one else can do in the latter.

As an aside, it wasn’t a great game as such, but as great World Cup goals go, Cambiasso for Argentina vs Serbia in 2006 takes some beating. 25 passes before he thumps it into the net.

Mibbes Aye
28-02-2018, 01:30 AM
Italy 3 Brazil 2 in Espana '82. Extended to the Euros, France 4 Portugal 3 in 84 I think.

That Euros was the first one I remember watching. France beat Portugal 3-2 in the semi-finals, with Michel Platini scoring the winner IIRC. Platini was a god to me in those days. I used to go to an Italian barbers and they were massive Juve fans, with posters and pictures on the wall, and copies of World Club Soccer on the table. It was a good schooling in continental football :greengrin

If we are citing the Euros then it would be remiss not to mention the 1998 final and Marco Van Basten’s goal.

hibsbollah
28-02-2018, 07:05 AM
That Euros was the first one I remember watching. France beat Portugal 3-2 in the semi-finals, with Michel Platini scoring the winner IIRC. Platini was a god to me in those days. I used to go to an Italian barbers and they were massive Juve fans, with posters and pictures on the wall, and copies of World Club Soccer on the table. It was a good schooling in continental football :greengrin

If we are citing the Euros then it would be remiss not to mention the 1998 final and Marco Van Basten’s goal.

Platini, Giresse, Tigana, Fernández. Possibly the best midfield ever.

JimBHibees
28-02-2018, 09:30 AM
82 World Cup was first I really remember. Brazil had great players apart from GK and striker! The French too had a great team at that time. Remember the France v West Germany semi final, 3-3 AET if I remember correctly. Schumacher flattening Battiston. Remember being gutted when France lost on pens.

Amazing game pity the wrong team won.

Mikey
28-02-2018, 09:58 AM
That tackle against Claudio Caniggia.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeRlJJbtdHc

Hibrandenburg
28-02-2018, 10:26 AM
Brazil 1 Germany 7

Was sat I'm my flat and when the first goal went in it sounded like the Red Army had come back to take Berlin. The second and third goals were just as loud and night was turned into day with all the fireworks going off. By the time the 4th went in ammunition was obviously getting low and number 7 was eerily quiet. When Brazil got a consolation goal there was another barrage of fireworks which gave the situation an even more surreal feeling. Watched the whole extravaganza with my 5 year old who said afterwards that 7-1 means that Germany are nearly as good as Hibs, I didn't correct him.

SuperAllyMcleod
28-02-2018, 11:40 AM
1982: Russia 1 Brazil 2

A fabulous game of football with Russia scoring first and a storming last 15 mins from Brazil with two ‘rakers’ from outside the box by Socrates and Eder.

First time I’d seen Socrates - amazing what 40 fags a day can do for your fitba skills. RIP.

snooky
28-02-2018, 12:35 PM
Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Germany, France, Spain have all had great sides but these guys produced the best team football the world has ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Df0FpXBdaw

Halmyre Hibee
28-02-2018, 12:42 PM
1970 World Cup semi final Italy 4 West Germany 3.

My_Wife_Camille
28-02-2018, 01:16 PM
Ghana v Uruguay 2010. Two stunning goals, Suarez hand ball on the line in injury time of ET and Gyan smashing it off the bar only for Uruguay to go through in the shootout

SteveHFC
28-02-2018, 01:24 PM
Senegal beating France in the opening game of the 2002 world cup.

Sure a lot of big teams went out in the group stage.

number9dream
28-02-2018, 01:35 PM

The 3-3 game was sensational and one of my earliest experiences of being heartbroken by the beautiful game... lots of cars on Leith Walk with Italian flags & blaring horns after the final, which was also a great match!

Mibbes Aye
28-02-2018, 02:07 PM
Platini, Giresse, Tigana, Fernández. Possibly the best midfield ever.

The mark of a great side is that you don’t have to look up the midfield to remind yourself, it just rolls of the tongue.

They also had a rather natty strip, it’s not often a blue top is appealing but theirs had some panache, as did the white one.

I’m torn between that midfield and the Brazil one of two years earlier. The French line-up is a recognisable midfield four, albeit with one of the greatest players the world has seen and three other very accomplished midfielders.

The Brazilian side wasn’t as tactically well-defined. Serginho played up front but in front of the back four the rest seemed pretty fluid - Cerezo and Falcao were recognisable central midfielders but Zico, Socrates and Éder seemed to have more freedom, especially Sócrates who would languidly stroll about, socks at his ankles, before receiving the ball and pinging a slide-rule pass or a postage stamp shot with a level of insouciance that was utterly alien to his European opponents.

Captain Trips
28-02-2018, 03:01 PM
Back in the day you only saw Zico, Socrates, Platini, Maradona every few years on TV and made the world cup so exciting.

82 was great had never heard of Zico etc and what a joy all these guys were. Then comes 86 and you are hoping to see these guys again plus some more new ones you hadn't seen before, Careca, Alemao etc etc.

I do miss the sort of mystery a world cup brought as we know most players these days.

hibsbollah
28-02-2018, 03:09 PM
Back in the day you only saw Zico, Socrates, Platini, Maradona every few years on TV and made the world cup so exciting.

82 was great had never heard of Zico etc and what a joy all these guys were. Then comes 86 and you are hoping to see these guys again plus some more new ones you hadn't seen before, Careca, Alemao etc etc.

I do miss the sort of mystery a world cup brought as we know most players these days.

Indeed. There's no mystery anymore. 1978 was my first WC, and assuming we were going to breeze past Iran and Peru because they were 'just wee countries' (ah the innocence of a seven year old), having no idea that in Cubillas Peru had one of the best attackers in world football and they played with an élan that was totally foreign to us. Reading about 78 years later, McLeod didn't even bother having Peru watched! , he didn't know about Cubillas, even though he scored at a ridiculous rate for Porto! There may have been a hint of xenophobia and a superiority complex going on. Inconceivable now.

hibsbollah
28-02-2018, 03:16 PM
The mark of a great side is that you don’t have to look up the midfield to remind yourself, it just rolls of the tongue.

They also had a rather natty strip, it’s not often a blue top is appealing but theirs had some panache, as did the white one.

I’m torn between that midfield and the Brazil one of two years earlier. The French line-up is a recognisable midfield four, albeit with one of the greatest players the world has seen and three other very accomplished midfielders.

The Brazilian side wasn’t as tactically well-defined. Serginho played up front but in front of the back four the rest seemed pretty fluid - Cerezo and Falcao were recognisable central midfielders but Zico, Socrates and Éder seemed to have more freedom, especially Sócrates who would languidly stroll about, socks at his ankles, before receiving the ball and pinging a slide-rule pass or a postage stamp shot with a level of insouciance that was utterly alien to his European opponents.

I loved Platini as a player, he had everything. Even a mean streak which is often forgotten behind his slide rule passing, distance shooting and agility. As a bureaucrat he presided over lots of bad things, and he came out with a load of nonsense from time to time, but as a player he's up there with Zidane and Ronaldinho.

Tigana was my favourite of that four, the first black player i was really conscious of that didn't play for West Brom. And he was sensational.

Mibbes Aye
28-02-2018, 03:52 PM

Definitely. A lot of the South American players weren’t with European clubs so at best you would maybe see a handful if they were drawn against an English club in Europe. The only other source was World Soccer magazine.

The novelty factor was something else. My particular favourite wasn’t the midfield or forwards, it was the swashbuckling full backs that Brazil seemed to produce every four years. Guys who were less interested in defending than they were in curling thirty-yarders into the top corner and the only rule was they had to have a one-word name.

Leandro, Junior, Branco and Josimar. Legends all, who paved the way for the likes of Roberto Carlos and Cafu once things like playing in Europe and TV and the internet had become commonplace :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
28-02-2018, 05:30 PM
Controversial one here but here goes....Brazil 4 Scotland 1 1982. We were not bad back then but Brazil were wow, the last great ginga style Brazil team. Other than that there was the Maradona show in the 2-0 game against Belgium in 86 or more recently the France 3 Brazil 0 final in 1998.

There was an article in the Sunday Times with Alan Rough quizzed about how he would tackle Branco’s freekick. Easy another man on the wall. Well that didn’t really work out did it :) still rooted to the spot as it hit the back of the net iirc. They viewed the Russian game as “Le Crunch” and it turned out that way... :(

Captain Trips
28-02-2018, 05:38 PM
Definitely. A lot of the South American players weren’t with European clubs so at best you would maybe see a handful if they were drawn against an English club in Europe. The only other source was World Soccer magazine.

The novelty factor was something else. My particular favourite wasn’t the midfield or forwards, it was the swashbuckling full backs that Brazil seemed to produce every four years. Guys who were less interested in defending than they were in curling thirty-yarders into the top corner and the only rule was they had to have a one-word name.

Leandro, Junior, Branco and Josimar. Legends all, who paved the way for the likes of Roberto Carlos and Cafu once things like playing in Europe and TV and the internet had become commonplace :greengrin

All the defenders could play a pass as well. Then you had the Italian defence solid as a rock and wouldn't think twice about putting you in the sir.

Boniek and Lato another 2 greats. All these guys would be if 25yr old today playing be £100m+.

theonlywayisup
28-02-2018, 07:27 PM
How about these?

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1863/world-cup-2010/2010/06/08/1964974/top-10-world-cup-games-of-all-time

Mibbes Aye
28-02-2018, 08:28 PM
All the defenders could play a pass as well. Then you had the Italian defence solid as a rock and wouldn't think twice about putting you in the sir.

Boniek and Lato another 2 greats. All these guys would be if 25yr old today playing be £100m+.

I think you could go higher.

Boniek and Rummenigge would match Neymar and Zico and Platini were better still.

Jackh
01-03-2018, 10:56 AM
Argentina 0-1 Cameroon

Opening game of Italia 90. The “minnows” of Cameroon beating the team that made it to the final. A team filled with players such as Maradona and Cannigia.

The game is one of my earliest memories of watching football on the telly. Also had a highlights video of World Cup 90 and a massive sticker album.

This particular game also had one of the worst tackles I’ve ever seen on Cannigia after he had skipped over 3 or 4 prior to getting taken out waist high.

Why did Argentina open Italia 90?

My_Wife_Camille
01-03-2018, 11:09 AM
Why did Argentina open Italia 90?
They were the winners of the previous tournament. I think Germany 06 was only the first to be opened by the hosts

Pretty Boy
01-03-2018, 11:24 AM
They were the winners of the previous tournament. I think Germany 06 was only the first to be opened by the hosts

Yep always used to be the holders who opened the tournament hence why Scotland played in the opening game v Brazil in 98.

CropleyWasGod
22-03-2018, 01:44 PM
Yep always used to be the holders who opened the tournament hence why Scotland played in the opening game v Brazil in 98.

When I was a lad, it was the hosts who opened it.

66, 70, 74 were all like that.

Juice-Terry
22-03-2018, 01:58 PM
Didn't read that whole thread, so sorry if someone's already said this (more or less). I agree that Italy 3 Brazil 2 in '82 was very special indeed, but so too was the semi final between France and West Germany were the Germans came back from being two down in extra time to win on penalties. Remember clearly Klaus Fischer's overhead kick to level it. Also remember "German goalkeeper Harald Schumacher (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harald_Schumacher), [who] knocked Battiston unconscious and forced him from the game with two missing teeth, three cracked ribs, and damaged vertebrae (though no foul was given on the play)." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Germany_v_France_(1982_FIFA_World_Cup) And I also remember Hrubesch scoring the winning penalty for West Germany. Great game, great spectacle.

Pagan Hibernia
22-03-2018, 02:31 PM
Argentina 0-1 Cameroon

This was my first World Cup also, and still my favourite. So many memorable moments. The assault on caniggia that you mentioned, Roger Milla’s dance, valderrama’s hair, frank rijkard spitting at Rudi Voller, Maradona beautifully setting up Caniggia to beat Brazil after the Brazilians had dominated the game, wild eyed Schillachi coming from nowhere to be the tournaments top scorer, Gascoigne’s tears, Maradona’s tears after the final, the Argentinians losing the plot and ending up with 9 men, and of course Pavarotti’s booming voice providing the soundtrack to the whole thing. The less said about Scotland’s performance the better but no World Cup has come close for me since. Ironic that football purists think it’s one of the worst tournaments of all time. Just shows the power of nostalgia.

nellio
22-03-2018, 02:35 PM
Ireland 1 Italy 0 USA 94.

FifeHibs
22-03-2018, 05:30 PM
Although not a game, the 1990 World Cup sticker album which was an A4 folder was as good as sticker albums get.

Weekly sections that had teams, great goals and history.

ekhibee
22-03-2018, 06:54 PM
The 1970 Brazil World Cup win over Italy, and Germany's demolition of Brazil in the last World Cup.