PDA

View Full Version : Where would you retire to if you won the Euro

offshorehibby
22-02-2018, 10:04 AM
Currently freezing my baws off in the North sea. If you were to win the Euro on Friday or had the chance to retire to somewhere worm, where would you head for.
Somewhere where it's easy enough to get back for games if you wanted to.

Geo_1875
22-02-2018, 10:07 AM
Would have to be the Canaries for me. It's a 5 hour flight but wonderful weather all year round.

calumhibee1
22-02-2018, 10:16 AM
Miami/LA in the winter, New York/Miami/LA in the summer. I’d come back for Hibs home games.

Pretty Boy
22-02-2018, 10:24 AM
I'd probably stay near to Edinburgh although a bit more greenery would be nice and I like the coast so would probably head towards North Berwick or Gullane or somewhere in that direction.

Holiday homes in the western highlands, Barcelona and Miami.

patch1875
22-02-2018, 10:56 AM
Big boat in the Med.

Hibbyradge
22-02-2018, 11:06 AM
I'd move back to Edinburgh, but have a winter home somewhere warm.

Madeira would be a good choice, but I don't think there are direct flights to Edinburgh so that wouldn't work.

So that's it decided. I'm moving to either Lanzarote or Tenerife.

Eaststand
22-02-2018, 11:11 AM
Majorca or around the Malaga area would suit me. Nice warm climes, and lots of flights to Edinburgh to get home for our games ;-)

GGTTH

JeMeSouviens
22-02-2018, 11:34 AM
I'd move back to Edinburgh, but have a winter home somewhere warm.

Madeira would be a good choice, but I don't think there are direct flights to Edinburgh so that wouldn't work.

So that's it decided. I'm moving to either Lanzarote or Tenerife.

Jet2. (https://www.jet2.com/en/cheap-flights/edinburgh/madeira)

Hibbyradge
22-02-2018, 11:45 AM
Jet2. (https://www.jet2.com/en/cheap-flights/edinburgh/madeira)

I should explain. The shortest duration is a week with Jet2.

No point having a home in the sun and then spending weeks on end in Edinburgh.

A couple of nights for the games and a few peevs with the lads is all that's required.

Geo_1875
22-02-2018, 12:07 PM
I should explain. The shortest duration is a week with Jet2.

No point having a home in the sun and then spending weeks on end in Edinburgh.

A couple of nights for the games and a few peevs with the lads is all that's required.

With £100m in the bank I'm sure you could find a way.

Scouse Hibee
22-02-2018, 01:00 PM
Would stay in the UK probably somewhere in the North West.

Hibbyradge
22-02-2018, 01:09 PM
With £100m in the bank I'm sure you could find a way.

There's no way.

Hibrandenburg
22-02-2018, 01:09 PM
Norway or Scotland in the summer and the Portuguese Atlantic Coast in the winter.

DH1875
22-02-2018, 01:49 PM
Would either be Torrox costa or Nerja. Think about it everyday 😢.

speedy_gonzales
22-02-2018, 01:57 PM
With that kind of money behind you I'd like to travel the world, a few months here, there, everywhere. Florida in the winter is meant to be rather decent,,,, however the reality is I'd buy a nicer house in Edinburgh and just have more holidays when the mood suits, you'd just rock up to Edinburgh airport and jump on the first flight that left somewhere warm then when there book the best hotel,,,, none of this scouring TripAdvisor for the cheapest accommodation with the least amount of negative reviews 😀

DH1875
22-02-2018, 03:26 PM
I don't think if you won £100+ million you could stay in Scotland. For security reasons alone you'd have to move you and your family away or at the very least live in a gated community. It would be life changing and you'd need to have security and stuff wherever you went. Even simple tasks like taking the kids to and from school would require drivers/bodyguards. Better to move away where no one knows you and have a peaceful life IMO.

Peevemor
22-02-2018, 03:38 PM
I don't think if you won £100+ million you could stay in Scotland. For security reasons alone you'd have to move you and your family away or at the very least live in a gated community. It would be life changing and you'd need to have security and stuff wherever you went. Even simple tasks like taking the kids to and from school would require drivers/bodyguards. Better to move away where no one knows you and have a peaceful life IMO.

I think you're being a bit OTT. I've known a few folk (mostly clients) worth millions who manage to live pretty anonymously.

Scouse Hibee
22-02-2018, 03:40 PM

Not at all, sounds like a script for a film.

sleeping giant
22-02-2018, 03:50 PM
Canaries for me.

Wouldn't need to think too hard about it either.

beensaidbefore
22-02-2018, 04:48 PM
Port Douglas, Queensland. Nuff said

SuperAllyMcleod
22-02-2018, 05:08 PM
South of France - near enough to Nice airport to get back for the games each week.

Beautiful area with lovely beaches - quite expensive though.

Pretty Boy
22-02-2018, 05:17 PM

The Weirs seem to manage ok and have done a lot of good in their community.

Personally I'd be ticking the remain anonymous box and living quietly.

Just Alf
22-02-2018, 06:15 PM
A flat (nice one) in Edinburgh as all my money would have been spent on the champions league winning Hibs team!

: D

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Jack
22-02-2018, 06:53 PM
My wife and I have considered a place in the sun and decided against it on the grounds of we might not like the neighbours or get fed up with the place!

An alternative was a 2, 3 or 4 month rental in the winter and move around Europe as the feeling suits and then we thought of the same time span but Bondi Beach!

Maybe in a 5 years or so!

There's a few cruises between now and then :-)

Unlimited money I'd buy a ship and cruise the 7 seas.

The imaginary name of my imaginary ship is the Hibernian Lady.

Pete
22-02-2018, 07:03 PM
With that sort of money I might be able to afford a flat in Edinburgh somewhere, or at least a deposit. 😁

Seriously, it would probably be a mansion in East Lothian or Fife either in the country or by the sea. The only other property I’d buy would be corners for ER and a posh seat. Not sure I’d 100% retire as you need to keep yourself going... they say you can die of retirement.

I wouldn’t tell the kids until they are adults as they’d probably turn into lazy arse holes if they grew up knowing they will have it easy the rest of their lives.

McD
22-02-2018, 07:07 PM
I’d buy homes in Chicago and Orlando, maybe Minorca.

lord bunberry
22-02-2018, 07:14 PM
Lanzarote for me. It’s warm all year round and not too far from home. I would explore the world from there.

Billy Whizz
22-02-2018, 07:47 PM
Malaga in the winter, only 3 hour flight back each week to see the Hibees

HibbyAndy
22-02-2018, 07:59 PM
Chalet in Tuscany overlooking the vineyards, Peace and quiet and a view to die for, Right up my street

Alex Trager
23-02-2018, 12:58 PM
With that sort of money I might be able to afford a flat in Edinburgh somewhere, or at least a deposit. [emoji16]

Seriously, it would probably be a mansion in East Lothian or Fife either in the country or by the sea. The only other property I’d buy would be corners for ER and a posh seat. Not sure I’d 100% retire as you need to keep yourself going... they say you can die of retirement.

I wouldn’t tell the kids until they are adults as they’d probably turn into lazy arse holes if they grew up knowing they will have it easy the rest of their lives.

Haha that’s an interesting prospect. You surely couldn’t keep it from them but I understand why you say you would

Geo_1875
23-02-2018, 02:37 PM
My wife and I have considered a place in the sun and decided against it on the grounds of we might not like the neighbours or get fed up with the place!

An alternative was a 2, 3 or 4 month rental in the winter and move around Europe as the feeling suits and then we thought of the same time span but Bondi Beach!

Maybe in a 5 years or so!

There's a few cruises between now and then :-)

Unlimited money I'd buy a ship and cruise the 7 seas.

The imaginary name of my imaginary ship is the Hibernian Lady.

Why only the 7 seas?

What's wrong with the rest of them?

lapsedhibee
23-02-2018, 03:29 PM
Why only the 7 seas?

What's wrong with the rest of them?

Full of plastic.

lyonhibs
23-02-2018, 05:08 PM
Swiss Alps in the winter, New Zealand in the summer.

Mr White
23-02-2018, 05:39 PM
Swiss Alps in the winter, New Zealand in the summer.

Perpetual winter then? I'd probably do something similar tbh.

lyonhibs
23-02-2018, 05:47 PM
Perpetual winter then? I'd probably do something similar tbh.

I've inadvertently made a bollocks of that but that said, perpetual winter or summer split between those 2 locations would be absolute Nivana either way.

Mr White
23-02-2018, 05:48 PM
I've inadvertently made a bollocks of that but that said, perpetual winter or summer split between those 2 locations would be absolute Nivana either way.

Have a few weeks in Fiji or Singapore on the way between them :greengrin

lyonhibs
23-02-2018, 06:32 PM
Have a few weeks in Fiji or Singapore on the way between them :greengrin

If you insist....

Colr
23-02-2018, 06:32 PM
Marylebone

snooky
24-02-2018, 10:45 PM
Full of plastic.
So's Parkheid :wink:

Pete
25-02-2018, 01:11 AM
Haha that’s an interesting prospect. You surely couldn’t keep it from them but I understand why you say you would

Conversely, In today’s world I suppose the young, daft children of millionaires are the biggest draws and have the world at their feet. 😂

MSK
25-02-2018, 10:56 AM
A home in Italy (Ana Capri) & a home in Menorca would do for me

IGRIGI
25-02-2018, 11:55 AM
Tokyo, live it up to the Pepsi max.

heretoday
26-02-2018, 02:11 PM
Paris. Penthouse apartment with a view of the river would do.

HappyAsHellas
26-02-2018, 03:22 PM
A quiet village on a small Greek island close to the sea. Would still spend a good deal of time here in Edinburgh and really couldn't be bothered moving.

wpj
26-02-2018, 04:17 PM
Cuba or Malta. Hot and friendly

Ronniekirk
26-02-2018, 04:38 PM
Algarve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snooky
26-02-2018, 04:50 PM
Algarve

I think I could handle that. :agree:

Ronniekirk
26-02-2018, 05:07 PM
I think I could handle that. :agree:

Worth it for the Cataplana alone

andy1875
26-02-2018, 06:36 PM
If I won £100m I wouldnt leave my flat in Lochend.

I would also still get the 34 bus every day....

And I would still enjoy walking the surrounding streets knowing that every time I stood on a dug sh*te that I could purchase new ones instead of trying to find a stick small enough to scrape out the grooves.

True story. :greengrin

Clerie Green
26-02-2018, 06:55 PM
100 million ffs ? Fort Myers Florida , buy the Hibees , move them over , sorted .
As for the rest of you , not my problem .
:wink::aok::agree:

heretoday
26-02-2018, 08:49 PM
100 million ffs ? Fort Myers Florida , buy the Hibees , move them over , sorted .
As for the rest of you , not my problem .
:wink::aok::agree:
You'd be doing me a favour after all these years of angst.

BroxburnHibee
26-02-2018, 10:02 PM
Lanzarote for me. It’s warm all year round and not too far from home. I would explore the world from there.

If we're going on places I've actually been to then yes this would be my choice too.

Lancs Harp
26-02-2018, 11:06 PM
I'd buy Thunderbird 5 and live in space.