PDA

View Full Version : Alex McLeish

Billy Whizz
15-02-2018, 05:33 PM
Radio Clyde reporting that he’ll be named new Scotland manager within the next few days

Sammy7nil
15-02-2018, 05:45 PM
Worst nightmare for me :rolleyes:

Scott Allan Key
15-02-2018, 05:46 PM
We’re just going through the motions.

Michael
15-02-2018, 05:47 PM
Such an uninspiring appointment.

Sammy7nil
15-02-2018, 05:48 PM
BBC just announced him as manager

Thecat23
15-02-2018, 05:50 PM
He’s now manager.

Billy Whizz
15-02-2018, 05:51 PM
He’s now manager.

Another scoop for me Cat🤣

15-02-2018, 05:52 PM
Glad it's not Lennon and glad the saga is over.

SirDavidsNapper
15-02-2018, 05:52 PM
Glad it's not Lennon 🖒

ballengeich
15-02-2018, 05:54 PM
Was there a candidate who's managed in the last couple of years, or hasn't walked out of the job before, or didn't get an EBT?

MrSmith
15-02-2018, 05:59 PM
Another The Rangers man who will no doubt elevate below average The Rangers players into the national scene to ensure transfer funds.

bingo70
15-02-2018, 06:01 PM
Bonkers.

Appears the reason he got the job is because he’s Scottish and unemployed.

Hope it’s a stop gap appointment until the new chief executive is appointed and we can show some proper ambition.

Lago
15-02-2018, 06:04 PM
Wonder if he'll stay longer than a year this time?

Famous Fiver
15-02-2018, 06:06 PM
Poor old Yogi.

Didn't even merit an interview if this is true.

Billy Whizz
15-02-2018, 06:07 PM
Poor old Yogi.

Didn't even merit an interview if this is true.

Might take him as his assistant

Famous Fiver
15-02-2018, 06:09 PM
True.

Wouldn't bank on it though, there are plenty of Ibrox old boys kicking about.

pacoluna
15-02-2018, 06:10 PM
I hope to **** "I know what it's like to be a ranger" Alex Rae doesn't get the assistant role absolute tosser that he is.

Lago
15-02-2018, 06:11 PM
Joke appointment for a joke job, poor old Scotland.

heretoday
15-02-2018, 06:11 PM
He'll have them playing like Birmingham City.

SirDavidsNapper
15-02-2018, 06:12 PM
Desperation by the SFA. No plan B so had to turn back to an old boss. Shambles.

WhileTheChief..
15-02-2018, 06:12 PM
Happy with this.

Did a good job for Scotland last time out and although he soured things by leaving for Rangers he’s still a decent manager.

Malthibby
15-02-2018, 06:14 PM
Desperation by the SFA. No plan B so had to turn back to an old boss. Shambles.

Sad but true:boo hoo:

Thecat23
15-02-2018, 06:16 PM
Another scoop for me Cat🤣

You or bbc Scotland? 😜

In all fairness I would believe your posts over most of the media!!

Thecat23
15-02-2018, 06:19 PM
“How to turn fans away written by the SFA.”

I’m Scottish like ken, Goan gez the joab, aye here you go eck. 😩

Lago
15-02-2018, 06:19 PM
Happy with this.

Did a good job for Scotland last time out and although he soured things by leaving for Rangers he’s still a decent manager.
Went to Brum.

JeMeSouviens
15-02-2018, 06:20 PM
Meh.

Diclonius
15-02-2018, 06:21 PM
Meh.

IGRIGI
15-02-2018, 06:22 PM
Judas.

keep the faith
15-02-2018, 06:23 PM
Hahaha! All that time and they appoint McLeish!!
Let's re-lease hampden and truly turn back time!!
SFA 😂

WoreTheGreen
15-02-2018, 06:25 PM
Beep beep beep sfa in reverse

Ozyhibby
15-02-2018, 06:26 PM
Reform of the agenda. Appointed by committee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

worcesterhibby
15-02-2018, 06:27 PM
He did a good Job at Hibs for most of his time here. He brought Sauzee and Latapy and Zitelli to the club as well as a host of other fine players. Yes he left in the usual Glasgow media inspired cloud, but I liked him as a manager. I wish him well and hope that he brings some of the attacking football he had Hibs playing back then to the International matches.

Zazu62
15-02-2018, 06:28 PM
McLeish done well for us seems to get a hard time from Hibs fans. He gave us Latapy Sauzee and 6-2.

WhileTheChief..
15-02-2018, 06:30 PM
Went to Brum.

Right enough, it was us he walked out of to Rangers!

I don’t mind him though, I was at the France game when McFadden scored which is the best Scotland game I’ve been to.

He also won a cup at Birmingham and had us playing some decent football.

bingo70
15-02-2018, 06:30 PM
Must have taken the selection committee and various sub committees an age to come up with his name.

Can understand why it’s taken so long now.

Billy Whizz
15-02-2018, 06:31 PM
Must have taken the selection committee and various sub committees an age to come up with his name.

Can understand why it’s taken so long now.

Petrie probably is running the ship at the moment

Pretty Boy
15-02-2018, 06:37 PM
Did a decent job last time with a couple of memorable results thrown in.

Could have done worse but it's still a bit uninspiring that in the whole of world football we end up with an out of work Scottish manager who walked out before.

The Modfather
15-02-2018, 06:37 PM
Petrie probably is running the ship at the moment

How long will we have to continue to suffer before the next Dempster comes along to bail him and his fellow utterly inept dinasuars out?

Thecat23
15-02-2018, 06:40 PM
He did a good Job at Hibs for most of his time here. He brought Sauzee and Latapy and Zitelli to the club as well as a host of other fine players. Yes he left in the usual Glasgow media inspired cloud, but I liked him as a manager. I wish him well and hope that he brings some of the attacking football he had Hibs playing back then to the International matches.

He had a ridiculous budget back then that nearly ****ed us. I liked him back in the day but he can’t go sign guys like Latapy at Scotland. I find it so disheartening we refuse to look beyond previous failed managers.

Hillsidehibby
15-02-2018, 06:41 PM
Andy Walker as his assistant

HoboHarry
15-02-2018, 06:43 PM

Berti Vogts must be in contention surely?

Hi Heid Yin
15-02-2018, 06:46 PM
I like McCleish, but whether the Scotland job was offered to him or another makes no difference.
I have no interest in the perpetual and predictable dynamic that is our national team trying to qualify for any competition.
It's actually boring and a distraction I'd rather not have.
Hibs are my bread and butter in terms of entertainment and investment, besides which, those damn fortnight breaks for meaningless so-called friendlies do my nut in!

Billy Whizz
15-02-2018, 06:47 PM

Ian Murray was his live child at Hibs and Rangers
I hope to god it isn’t Alex Rae

IGRIGI
15-02-2018, 06:50 PM
Alan Hutton back into RB is a stick on.

lyonhibs
15-02-2018, 06:50 PM
Totally unoriginal. No creativity or even remotely thinking outside the box from the blazers.

Still, it's not Racist Malky, which was a genuine concern, so that's a plus.

greenlex
15-02-2018, 06:51 PM
Safe pair of hands. There will be places for everyone at the next Euros. Bar abouta handfulif countries. Even I could get us qualified. A few wins and the fans won’t care who the boss is.

staunchhibby
15-02-2018, 06:53 PM
The circus returns to Hampden.

HoboHarry
15-02-2018, 06:56 PM
Good grief how many time will these people go back to the same well? Maybe one day Scottish football will be able to keep up with major powerhouses like Iceland......

silverhibee
15-02-2018, 06:56 PM
Did a decent job last time with a couple of memorable results thrown in.

Could have done worse but it's still a bit uninspiring that in the whole of world football we end up with an out of work Scottish manager who walked out before.

And would probably walk out again if he was offered the Rangers gig in the summer.

What a f***ing shambles.

Embarrassing.

SirDavidsNapper
15-02-2018, 06:58 PM
Wasn't even the first choice ex boss. Embarrassing.

WoreTheGreen
15-02-2018, 06:59 PM
Yogi ‘ McLeish canny buy a job but forward thinking by the sfa

bingo70
15-02-2018, 06:59 PM
I don’t want Mcleish and I think he’s a poor appointment that only got the job as he’s Scottish and unemployed.

Playing devils advocate for a second though, if we’d gone for someone more ambitious how could we have tried to attract him? We’ve no chief executive and even the stand in has disappeared. Who would have sold the job to them? How could we entice someone with the state of the organisation as it is?

I’d like to see John Collins as the new chief executive and spend the next 18-24 months trying to form an actual plan for the SFA and then if Mcleish is unsuccessful we’ll have a vision and a plan to try and sell to someone a bit more exciting than big Eck.

Ricky Bobby
15-02-2018, 07:06 PM
Totally unoriginal. No creativity or even remotely thinking outside the box from the blazers.

Still, it's not Racist Malky, which was a genuine concern, so that's a plus.

Agree with this. Totally uninspiring.

Craig_HFC
15-02-2018, 07:12 PM
What I can’t understand is why a manager has been appointed before a chief executive has been appointed. Surely that’s one of the main parts of the CEO’s job & taking that responsibility/decision making power away from the job will just make it less attractive to anyone good.

Smartie
15-02-2018, 07:12 PM
I liked McLeish as Hibs manager and I liked him as Scotland manager.

I didn't really like his departure from either of those roles but that shouldn't be allowed to detract from the fact that he did a good job in both of them.

My only concern would be that he's been out of the game for a while, although I'm sure he'll have been watching games and will have a fair idea of what he'll want/ need to do.

allezsauzee
15-02-2018, 07:18 PM
I liked McLeish as Hibs manager and I liked him as Scotland manager.

I didn't really like his departure from either of those roles but that shouldn't be allowed to detract from the fact that he did a good job in both of them.

My only concern would be that he's been out of the game for a while, although I'm sure he'll have been watching games and will have a fair idea of what he'll want/ need to do.

Hibs were in a mess when he took over and that's how he left us too. Some good stuff in between mind you

blackpoolhibs
15-02-2018, 07:20 PM
Good Luck GJP, hated you the way you left us, but as you are now the manager it's my duty to get behind you and the team.

I suppose i could say i have no interest in the national team, but still mump and moan about it every time there is a game.

bingo70
15-02-2018, 07:22 PM
What I can’t understand is why a manager has been appointed before a chief executive has been appointed. Surely that’s one of the main parts of the CEO’s job & taking that responsibility/decision making power away from the job will just make it less attractive to anyone good.

Thats sort of my point in an earlier post.

Without a chief executive we could only really appoint someone that wouldn’t need ‘sold’ the job.

It had to be a dull safe pair of hands, Smith would have been my first choice but it sounds like we made an erse of that.

I can’t think of many other candidates that would fit this criteria, Malky Mackay would probably have done a decent job but his previous behaviour ruled him out, Scott Gemmil would have been a bit more exciting but i don’t know enough about him to know if he’d be any good or not?

Eyrie
15-02-2018, 07:27 PM
I heard GJP was appointed earlier today.

Is he still Scotland manager this evening, or has he bolted for another offer already?

McD
15-02-2018, 07:34 PM
Be interesting in the unlikely event that someone in the media asks him how it feels to publicly be the at-best 3rd choice for a role he’s already walked out on in the past

PercyHibs
15-02-2018, 07:50 PM
Good appointment IMO

cabbageandribs1875
15-02-2018, 07:53 PM
mon big eck

Thecat23
15-02-2018, 07:55 PM
Good appointment IMO

What makes him a good appointment if you don’t mind me asking? Not being funny or that just with him being out the game so long and already been a failed Scotland manager why do you think he’s the man?

Surely have to wonder why no one has went for him?

Mr White
15-02-2018, 07:56 PM
I hope he does well but it's not exactly an inspiring choice. International management might well be a good match for him at this stage in his career. It was always just a stepping stone last time, hopefully he can grind out some long term stability and success this time round.

Viva_Palmeiras
15-02-2018, 08:00 PM
I hope he does well but it's not exactly an inspiring choice. International management might well be a good match for him at this stage in his career. It was always just a stepping stone last time, hopefully he can grind out some long term stability and success this time round.

When opportunity knocks answer at the first ring :)

#WrongCatchphrases

Smartie
15-02-2018, 08:03 PM
What makes him a good appointment if you don’t mind me asking? Not being funny or that just with him being out the game so long and already been a failed Scotland manager why do you think he’s the man?

Is he?

He was doing well, then walked, so the jury is out on him in many ways but I wouldn't say he failed.

He has made some poor career decisions. Taking the Villa job was career suicide and he hasn't recovered from that move. Did he not take on a poisoned chalice at Forest for a spell?

I'm pretty sure he's done a decent job at pretty much all of the clubs where he's had a decent crack of the whip.

ancient hibee
15-02-2018, 08:16 PM

Didn’t he win more games than he lost?

w pilton hibby
15-02-2018, 08:23 PM

Played 10 won 7.

Thecat23
15-02-2018, 08:25 PM
Is he?

He was doing well, then walked, so the jury is out on him in many ways but I wouldn't say he failed.

He has made some poor career decisions. Taking the Villa job was career suicide and he hasn't recovered from that move. Did he not take on a poisoned chalice at Forest for a spell?

I'm pretty sure he's done a decent job at pretty much all of the clubs where he's had a decent crack of the whip.

Well he never got us to any major tournaments so he’s failed there for me walking or not.

Completely agree the Villa job was a daft move, but Mcleish has only done alright when he’s had money it seems.

Thecat23
15-02-2018, 08:25 PM

Sorry, I was meaning getting us to tournaments.

Big L
15-02-2018, 08:27 PM
If they prop him up with a couple of young guys like Gemmel and Mackay it might just be ok. If he goes for his usual cronies it's a major step back imo.

Stevie Reid
15-02-2018, 08:30 PM
Always liked McLeish. Not exactly an exciting appointment, but was really good in the job before.

weecounty hibby
15-02-2018, 08:32 PM
If they prop him up with a couple of young guys like Gemmel and Mackay it might just be ok. If he goes for his usual cronies it's a major step back imo.
Andy Watson? Stuart McCall is available again. what's Mark McGhee doing? This appointment is actually morale sapping for me. He was ok first time round but it is a step back for me. There must be a better candidate out there. Or are we just doing the cheap option again?

Gordy M
15-02-2018, 08:41 PM
Andy Watson? Stuart McCall is available again. what's Mark McGhee doing? This appointment is actually morale sapping for me. He was ok first time round but it is a step back for me. There must be a better candidate out there. Or are we just doing the cheap option again?

If he did ok then why do you see it as a backward step? He had a decent record as the Scotland manager. Id prefer to go this way than what wales did with Ryan Giggs? Totally untested. You dont get time to 'bed in' in international management....well unless you are michael o neil....16 games before his first win as Norn Ire manager?? Would never get that time here.
I think he will do fine.

PercyHibs
15-02-2018, 08:43 PM

I wouldn’t judge a managers ability on how many clubs have came in for him.

I understand people having reservations about Mcleish due to him having been out the game for a while but managers current stock doesn’t change them being a good or bad manager. Loads of people on here wanted rid of Lennon a few weeks ago, now we’re fighting for 2nd/3rd and he’s being touted for the Scotland job.

I thought Mcleish did a brilliant job at Motherwell, hibs, Rangers, Scotland and Birmingham. Punching well above their weight at each club. Nothing has happened since the to change my mind about his ability as a manager. He’s not a bad manager after doing an average job in the English Championship.

I think McLeish is a total winner and will gain the respect of the players. Hes got experience in international managment and is a good age for it. (If successful I can’t see many clubs trying to tap him up) Id argue against McLeish being a failed Scotland manager. No real shame in losing to Italy in the playoff.

weecounty hibby
15-02-2018, 08:45 PM
It's backwards in the respect that we've been there done that and saw how quick he was to **** off for what he thought was a better offer. He has zero loyalty and in my opinion that is something that players pick up on. If he won't commit to the long term why should players commit to playing for him and turn up to meaningless stupid friendlies. He was a decent manager for Hibs but again I would see him as a step backwards if we appointed him in the future

Stevie Reid
15-02-2018, 08:47 PM
Well he never got us to any major tournaments so he’s failed there for me walking or not.

Completely agree the Villa job was a daft move, but Mcleish has only done alright when he’s had money it seems.

Classing a Scotland manager as a failure for not qualifying for a tournament when we had Italy and France in our group is insane.

We were in contention to qualify in the last game of the group. We had Ukraine in the group as well, but still won 8 games out of 12. Was the hardest group we've ever had to deal with, but the last good campaign we had.

bingo70
15-02-2018, 08:49 PM
It's backwards in the respect that we've been there done that and saw how quick he was to **** off for what he thought was a better offer. He has zero loyalty and in my opinion that is something that players pick up on. If he won't commit to the long term why should players commit to playing for him and turn up to meaningless stupid friendlies. He was a decent manager for Hibs but again I would see him as a step backwards if we appointed him in the future

I don’t have a problem with him leaving to go to a club after doing well with the national team.

Loyalty goes both ways, if he did a **** job would we have honoured his contract until the end as we should do or would we have chucked him on the scrap heap?

Gordy M
15-02-2018, 08:50 PM

Im sorry but thats football and if someone does come in for him again it means that Scotland are being successful. Every manager in world will move if a better job(in their eyes) becomes available. Thats the way it goes these days. Doesnt make him a bad manager though.

HoboHarry
15-02-2018, 08:57 PM
I don’t have a problem with him leaving to go to a club after doing well with the national team.

Loyalty goes both ways, if he did a **** job would we have honoured his contract until the end as we should do or would we have chucked him on the scrap heap?

Scrap heap with a fully paid up contract.

weecounty hibby
15-02-2018, 09:01 PM
He got us promoted after spending a ton of money. Won several trophies at der Hun after spending a ton of money. Won the league cup at Birmingham which was a good effort. done ok at Motherwell but no trophies. Pretty poor record everywhere else. When unable to outspend his rivals he has a less than great record.

blackpoolhibs
15-02-2018, 09:02 PM
Classing a Scotland manager as a failure for not qualifying for a tournament when we had Italy and France in our group is insane.

We were in contention to qualify in the last game of the group. We had Ukraine in the group as well, but still won 8 games out of 12. Was the hardest group we've ever had to deal with, but the last good campaign we had.

Yip very strange, when you consider he thought Stubbs finishing 3rd behind Falkirk was acceptable because of circumstances? :rolleyes:

Big L
15-02-2018, 09:06 PM

Totally agree, if he brings in the people you mention it just makes matters worse. For me ir's a terrible appt. I'm just thinking of the kind of support that might modernise his approach to the game.

IGRIGI
15-02-2018, 09:09 PM
Has anyone seen him interviewed recently? The way he looks I wouldn't be surprised if it was Death operating the cameras waiting for the moment to pounce.

Thecat23
15-02-2018, 09:09 PM
Yip very strange, when you consider he thought Stubbs finishing 3rd behind Falkirk was acceptable because of circumstances? :rolleyes:

😂 admins any chance you can block my stalker please it’s becoming really weird now!!

Oh and yeah, Hibs didn’t have any injuries or a horrible run of games that didn’t happen BH honest it was all just fantasy!! 😂😂

Thecat23
15-02-2018, 09:12 PM
I wouldn’t judge a managers ability on how many clubs have came in for him.

I understand people having reservations about Mcleish due to him having been out the game for a while but managers current stock doesn’t change them being a good or bad manager. Loads of people on here wanted rid of Lennon a few weeks ago, now we’re fighting for 2nd/3rd and he’s being touted for the Scotland job.

I thought Mcleish did a brilliant job at Motherwell, hibs, Rangers, Scotland and Birmingham. Punching well above their weight at each club. Nothing has happened since the to change my mind about his ability as a manager. He’s not a bad manager after doing an average job in the English Championship.

I think McLeish is a total winner and will gain the respect of the players. Hes got experience in international managment and is a good age for it. (If successful I can’t see many clubs trying to tap him up) Id argue against McLeish being a failed Scotland manager. No real shame in losing to Italy in the playoff.

He certainly was a winner can’t argue with that. Btw I liked Mcleish at Hibs and the last time as Scotland manager, was raging about the way he left though. I don’t think going back to him is the right answer, but we’ll soon find out. He’ll still be backed whenever we play!

Thecat23
15-02-2018, 09:14 PM

Thought I’d go through wiki have a little look, you are correct prob is harsh to say he failed. That was a very tough campaign! But for me the game has moved on quite a bit and I’d have liked to have seen someone with a fresh approach but that’s just me.

Sylar
15-02-2018, 09:20 PM
Nonplussed about his appointment - I guess the clincher will be the staff he choses to surround himself with.

If folk like McCoist, McCall etc end up as his assistants, I'll happily join the 'anti-National Team' brigade.

Stevie Reid
15-02-2018, 09:23 PM
Thought I’d go through wiki have a little look, you are correct prob is harsh to say he failed. That was a very tough campaign! But for me the game has moved on quite a bit and I’d have liked to have seen someone with a fresh approach but that’s just me.

Fair enough, but he was excellent before. Italy were world champions and had beaten France in the 2006 final. Ridiculous that we had them both in our group.

Thecat23
15-02-2018, 09:26 PM
Fair enough, but he was excellent before. Italy were world champions and had beaten France in the 2006 final. Ridiculous that we had them both in our group.

Typical of Scotland to draw them though! We never get anything easy.

vuefrom1875
15-02-2018, 09:36 PM
Good appointment IMO

Aye right.... Will suit all the hun blazers no doubt.... Irrelevant to me, couldn't give a flying f##c, but best of luck eck 🍀

SteveHFC
15-02-2018, 11:27 PM
Absoutley ridiculous decision.

Spike Mandela
15-02-2018, 11:39 PM
SFA ignore request from SPFL for an inquiry into their handling of Rangers EBT scandal. They reject this independent inquiry stating it is time for Scottish football to ‘move on’.

They ‘move on’ and appoint a beneficiary of a £1.7m EBT with evidence seen of a side letter.

This organistaion is corrupt to the core and needs torn down and replaced.

The_Horde
16-02-2018, 12:04 AM
Craig Brown all over again.

Brightside
16-02-2018, 12:30 AM
I can only imagine he was he only ginger that would take the job. There is no other reason. A man out of work. Done nothing for years and he becomes the manager of the national side. Old school at its very best.

California-Hibs
16-02-2018, 12:48 AM
Boss in the famous 6-2 win, brought incredible talent like Sauzee & Latapy, masterminded outrageous wins against France home and away. The guy is a good manager.

Wasn’t happy the way he left but after a few wins all will be forgiven. It’s the football fan way. Glad the sagas over, time to move on. People who’ve sat down and looked at the nations draw/format will know we have a very decent chance of qualifying for the Euros and put 20 years of hurt to rest.

Good squad he’s inherited too. Let’s see how he fairs. I’m a Scotland fan and hope he does well 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

InchHibby
16-02-2018, 08:06 AM
Couldn’t feching make it up, what a complete bunch of wasters, and you can bet your boots that we will be staying at Hampden, they’d rather reduce the capacity than do the sensible thing.
For any change at all we need to get rid of the lot of them and appoint people who have the entire football community at heart.
He proved his commitment when he left as soon as the Huns came calling.

mjhibby
16-02-2018, 08:11 AM
Boss in the famous 6-2 win, brought incredible talent like Sauzee & Latapy, masterminded outrageous wins against France home and away. The guy is a good manager.

Wasn’t happy the way he left but after a few wins all will be forgiven. It’s the football fan way. Glad the sagas over, time to move on. People who’ve sat down and looked at the nations draw/format will know we have a very decent chance of qualifying for the Euros and put 20 years of hurt to rest.

Good squad he’s inherited too. Let’s see how he fairs. I’m a Scotland fan and hope he does well 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Certainly has a good crop of young players to work with but he hasn't had to deal with a load of youngsters as far as I can tell in his career. Maybe be an idea to have the coaches the likes of sjm and Tierney have worked with alongside him. Be interesting to see his first squad and if guys like hanlon or mcgeoch get a chance.

GreenCastle
16-02-2018, 08:13 AM
Terrible appointment at a time when the game needs a fresh start.

We aren’t qualifying for anything anytime soon.

Still need change in the Scottish Football structure.

mjhibby
16-02-2018, 08:15 AM

Which better candidate. No decent manager held his hand up saying he wanted the job. He's probably the best we could have got.

JimBHibees
16-02-2018, 08:16 AM

Pretty sure he wasn't manager for France home also a joke the Georgia away defeat when a number of old firm players didn't play as they were playing on the weekend after. McCulloch definitely got himself booked in the Ukraine game before it to miss Georgia.

Paisley Hibby
16-02-2018, 08:28 AM
I don’t want Mcleish and I think he’s a poor appointment that only got the job as he’s Scottish and unemployed.

Playing devils advocate for a second though, if we’d gone for someone more ambitious how could we have tried to attract him? We’ve no chief executive and even the stand in has disappeared. Who would have sold the job to them? How could we entice someone with the state of the organisation as it is?

I’d like to see John Collins as the new chief executive and spend the next 18-24 months trying to form an actual plan for the SFA and then if Mcleish is unsuccessful we’ll have a vision and a plan to try and sell to someone a bit more exciting than big Eck.
John Collins was a great player. But what is it about his football management/coaching career that suggests he'd make the ideal CEO for the SFA? Whatever you see about his track record has passed me by.

Stevie Reid
16-02-2018, 08:32 AM
Craig Brown all over again.

Hope so. He was the last guy who got us to a tournament. Two in a row, actually.

Stevie Reid
16-02-2018, 08:34 AM
Pretty sure he wasn't manager for France home also a joke the Georgia away defeat when a number of old firm players didn't play as they were playing on the weekend after. McCulloch definitely got himself booked in the Ukraine game before it to miss Georgia.

Correct Jim, Walter Smith was in charge for the first France game.

bingo70
16-02-2018, 08:38 AM
John Collins was a great player. But what is it about his football management/coaching career that suggests he'd make the ideal CEO for the SFA? Whatever you see about his track record has passed me by.

That’s why I’m suggesting a role as a chief executive rather than a role as a coach or as a manager.

He’s clearly a very successful and intelligent guy, he knows football inside out and he knows the flaws in our game better than anyone. At the risk of getting all corporate speak, I think him taking a higher level look at all aspects of our game is likely to suit his skill set better than coaching or management.

In terms of his coaching I think he must have had some pretty good ideas as he improved a number of players and got the best out of them, I just think he probably lacked some of the people skills to manage them on a day to day basis.

bigwheel
16-02-2018, 08:46 AM
That’s why I’m suggesting a role as a chief executive rather than a role as a coach or as a manager.

He’s clearly a very successful and intelligent guy, he knows football inside out and he knows the flaws in our game better than anyone. At the risk of getting all corporate speak, I think him taking a higher level look at all aspects of our game is likely to suit his skill set better than coaching or management.

In terms of his coaching I think he must have had some pretty good ideas as he improved a number of players and got the best out of them, I just think he probably lacked some of the people skills to manage them on a day to day basis.

Would you trust him to be doing the deals with Sky etc for rights to international games and Scottish Cup? Perhaps as performance director he would have been a good choice. However, as the CEO also has to create unity across a wide ranging set of clubs - I can't think of many less skilled in that sort of collaboration than Collins.

bingo70
16-02-2018, 08:57 AM
Would you trust him to be doing the deals with Sky etc for rights to international games and Scottish Cup? Perhaps as performance director he would have been a good choice. However, as the CEO also has to create unity across a wide ranging set of clubs - I can't think of many less skilled in that sort of collaboration than Collins.

Fair enough but yes, I’d trust him entirely to do that kind of thing.

I also think he’d be more likely to promote our game better the current lot do.

Carheenlea
16-02-2018, 09:00 AM

I'd have preferred John Collins as manager.
He might well have been better suited to international management. Experienced different enviornments as a player and with a more modern outlook on the game. I wish Big Eck luck and hopefully he can be the man to take us back to major finals, but just can't get too excited about the appointment. It's nothing progressive or radical.

blackpoolhibs
16-02-2018, 09:04 AM
😂 admins any chance you can block my stalker please it’s becoming really weird now!!

Oh and yeah, Hibs didn’t have any injuries or a horrible run of games that didn’t happen BH honest it was all just fantasy!! 😂😂

Just read your PM, you really have an opinion of yourself way above what i think if you think i have a problem with you, or are stalking you.

FFS its like Lee Wallace has joined the board.

You don't like your opinion questioned do you, the hypocrisy on this is wonderful, McLeish didnt have any circumstances did he, like France or Italy not to mention the Ukraine in his league?

McLeish was a failure for not getting us through that group, but Stubbs did ok to finish behind bloody Falkirk.

This is a message board, as i said before, if you dont like what you post questioned, dont post.

Since90+2
16-02-2018, 09:05 AM
Does McLeish not have the best managerial record of all Scotland managers in terms of win percentage?

Not saying its a brilliant appointment but at the same time its not as bad as some are making out.

EDIT - McLeish does indeed have the best win percentage of any Scotland manager in history (excluding Billy Stark who was only in charge for 1 game).

G B Young
16-02-2018, 09:25 AM
Does McLeish not have the best managerial record of all Scotland managers in terms of win percentage?

Not saying its a brilliant appointment but at the same time its not as bad as some are making out.

EDIT - McLeish does indeed have the best win percentage of any Scotland manager in history (excluding Billy Stark who was only in charge for 1 game).

He was only in charge for ten months, but won seven of his ten games so he had a good record in a short space of time.

I liked him a lot as Hibs boss. Yes there was more money in the game back then but he signed some terrific players, Sauzee and Latapy being among the best ever to play for us, while Laursen, Mixu, Jack, Zitelli, Fenwick, Smith, Lovell and Colgan etc were all excellent for us. He gave us a bigger time mentality and was the first Hibs manager for a long time to dominate the derby.

He was also underrated at Rangers where he was up against Martin O'Neill's far more talented Celtic side yet I think he actually won more trophies, including a treble. Winning a trophy at Birmingham was also a rare feat.

As others have said though it's been downhill for him since taking the Villa job and I'm struggling to see what he brings to the Scotland job that's any different to Strachan. However, the fact he's ended up being appointed presumably highlights how little clout the national job carries these days. There wasn't exactly a queue of outstanding candidates interested in taking it.

California-Hibs
16-02-2018, 10:07 AM
Terrible appointment at a time when the game needs a fresh start.

We aren’t qualifying for anything anytime soon.

Still need change in the Scottish Football structure.

We’ll see. Think you’ll be seeing that we qualify for the Euros, but time will tell of course. We have a decent talented group right now. We do need a change in structure though, for sure.

Iain G
16-02-2018, 10:20 AM

I do think he would make a good Scotland manager still... :agree:

PercyHibs
16-02-2018, 10:32 AM
Aye right.... Will suit all the hun blazers no doubt.... Irrelevant to me, couldn't give a flying f##c, but best of luck eck 🍀

Haha. I’m gonna stick my neck out and say you do actually care.

vuefrom1875
16-02-2018, 10:36 AM
Haha. I’m gonna stick my neck out and say you do actually care.Wind it back in[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-T320X using Tapatalk

stantonhibby
16-02-2018, 10:41 AM
I'd have preferred John Collins as manager.
He might well have been better suited to international management. Experienced different enviornments as a player and with a more modern outlook on the game. I wish Big Eck luck and hopefully he can be the man to take us back to major finals, but just can't get too excited about the appointment. It's nothing progressive or radical.

Agreed re Collins.....and the good thing is we wouldn't have to worry about him making signings !

Swedish hibee
16-02-2018, 11:25 AM
You Scots are a very hard bunch to please!

bingo70
16-02-2018, 11:32 AM
You Scots are a very hard bunch to please!

Easy for you to say, we’ve seen your women!

blackpoolhibs
16-02-2018, 11:38 AM
Easy for you to say, we’ve seen your women!

:faf: :top marks

hhibs
16-02-2018, 11:48 AM
Has anyone seen him interviewed recently? The way he looks I wouldn't be surprised if it was Death operating the cameras waiting for the moment to pounce.

I agree ,posted on another thread he has always looked "unwell" in recent viewings but,a pair of glasses can cover a multitude of things.

G B Young
16-02-2018, 11:54 AM
I agree ,posted on another thread he has always looked "unwell" in recent viewings but,a pair of glasses can cover a multitude of things.

I guess he's nearly 60 now, which would mean he was only in his 40s last time round, but I agree he looks to have aged a lot more than you might expect. Doesn't actually look like the same person when you see photos of him during his last stint with Scotland.

Peevemor
16-02-2018, 12:01 PM
Quite a change

to

Smartie
16-02-2018, 12:07 PM
Quite a change

to

From Elton John to Winston Ingram in just a couple of decades.

jacomo
16-02-2018, 12:37 PM
Quite a change

to

So long as he reprises his trademark weird couplet delivery I’ll be happy.

“We’re going...
...back to Scotland.”

I'm Spartacus
16-02-2018, 12:44 PM
Appointing Water Smith would have been the biggest backward step in the Scottish Football history BUT THIS is a 5mm step forward in the biggest backward step in Scottish football history.

The SFA were dying to get an old Rainjurs man in the hot seat. Now watch all their youth players advance into the Scotland set up thus inflating their worth on the market.

ancient hibee
16-02-2018, 12:48 PM
Yes they certainly were.Spending 4 months chasing O’Neill is an example of their determination.What rubbish.

The Modfather
16-02-2018, 12:56 PM
Appointing Water Smith would have been the biggest backward step in the Scottish Football history BUT THIS is a 5mm step forward in the biggest backward step in Scottish football history.

The SFA were dying to get an old Rainjurs man in the hot seat. Now watch all their youth players advance into the Scotland set up thus inflating their worth on the market.

Do folk actually believe all this Rangers conspiracy stuff? Celtc claim the SFA is pro Rangers, Rangers claim it is pro Celtc. While the rest of us look on and see Scottish football sadly revolves around two clubs.

I just saw it as the shambles that is the SFA and the likes of McRae and Petrie looking at who’s cheap, who do we already know and what appointment will allow us to keep feeding from the SFA trough with minimal fuss.

Gordy M
16-02-2018, 01:04 PM
Do folk actually believe all this Rangers conspiracy stuff? Celtc claim the SFA is pro Rangers, Rangers claim it is pro Celtc. While the rest of us look on and see Scottish football sadly revolves around two clubs.

I just saw it as the shambles that is the SFA and the likes of McRae and Petrie looking at who’s cheap, who do we already know and what appointment will allow us to keep feeding from the SFA trough with minimal fuss.
Im not sure its that cheap an option....apparently on 400k a year....more than any premier manager other than Brendan Rogers i wouls guess??

Billy Whizz
16-02-2018, 04:38 PM
Think Peter Grant is going to be his assistant, and I see Sky running with James mcFadden to talk to Mcleish about a coaching job, probably one to please the TA

JimBHibees
16-02-2018, 04:51 PM
Think Peter Grant is going to be his assistant, and I see Sky running with James mcFadden to talk to Mcleish about a coaching job, probably one to please the TA

Grant getting the job because it is imperative for a Celtic rangers combo. Dear oh dear.

HoboHarry
16-02-2018, 04:54 PM
Grant getting the job because it is imperative for a Celtic rangers combo. Dear oh dear.

Whatever Peter Grant was as a player he seems to have always been well thought of as coach. Never seems to have unemployed for long.

Hi Heid Yin
16-02-2018, 05:04 PM
I heard Alex McCleish interviewed on the radio this afternoon and I was taken aback by how he sounded like a frail old man. His voice seemed weak and hoarse.
I just wonder how he would come across on the training field. Maybe I'm way off the mark and he is recovering from the flu or chest infection.
I actually like McCleish but, like I've stated already, my interest in the Scotland international side is all but zilch.

CmoantheHibs
16-02-2018, 05:17 PM
I am quite passionate about the national team and usually upbeat and positive as a person but this appointment has deflated me. All along I thought they were going to go for McLeish but hoped they wouldn't.
Ah well I've been wrong before so lets hope this is another one.

Spike Mandela
16-02-2018, 05:57 PM
I heard Alex McCleish interviewed on the radio this afternoon and I was taken aback by how he sounded like a frail old man. His voice seemed weak and horse.
I just wonder how he would come across on the training field. Maybe I'm way off the mark and he is recovering from the flu or chest infection.
I actually like McCleish but, like I've stated already, my interest in the Scotland international side is all but zilch.

I have seen several interviews with McLeish since and including the cup final and like you I got the impression he was a bit dithery and not as sharp as he once was. His lack of a job for a long time just makes me think he is well past his sell by date.

I like Alex McLeish, he has a great legacy as player and manager and think he should have left it at that. Yesterday’s man.

Smartie
16-02-2018, 06:28 PM
I have seen several interviews with McLeish since and including the cup final and like you I got the impression he was a bit dithery and not as sharp as he once was. His lack of a job for a long time just makes me think he is well past his sell by date.

I like Alex McLeish, he has a great legacy as player and manager and think he should have left it at that. Yesterday’s man.

This seems to be quite a popular opinion.

I like the fact that McLeish clearly has a lot of people to prove wrong.

That'll put a bit of fire in his belly.

Michael
16-02-2018, 06:30 PM

Thinking that myself. Crazy that he's only 4 years older than Mourinho.

overdrive
16-02-2018, 07:13 PM

Yep, he looks ill in my opinion and has done for at least two years.

Tomsk
16-02-2018, 08:21 PM
I would love to have been a fly on the wall when the SFA met up with Neil Lennon to discuss the position. Did Neil knock them back? Or did the SFA get cold feet? Find it hard to believe it was the latter. After all they were hardly going to ignore the credentials of a young manager, active in the game, with a good pedigree, who publicly declared an interest in the job. Specially, when you think they were talking to Walter at the same time. Lenny must have given the finger. Must have. Nice one, Lenn.

bingo70
16-02-2018, 08:29 PM
I would love to have been a fly on the wall when the SFA met up with Neil Lennon to discuss the position. Did Neil knock them back? Or did the SFA get cold feet? Find it hard to believe it was the latter. After all they were hardly going to ignore the credentials of a young manager, active in the game, with a good pedigree, who publicly declared an interest in the job. Specially, when you think they were talking to Walter at the same time. Lenny must have given the finger. Must have. Nice one, Lenn.

Pretty sure Lennon said yesterday that he never spoke to the SFA.

He mentioned before the Celtic game last night Petrie told him at a hibs board meeting he wasn’t being considered for the Scotland job.

judas
16-02-2018, 08:29 PM
Judas.

Aye, what is it?

ekhibee
16-02-2018, 08:50 PM

This. I heard an interview with him about 2 or 3 months ago and it was his pals on Sportsound that were speaking to him on the phone. He sounded like a boring old drunk. At that time I really hoped he would not be the next Scottish manager, but he's got the gig so good luck to him, I hope he does prove me wrong, we need to get to a major championship.

Tomsk
16-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Pretty sure Lennon said yesterday that he never spoke to the SFA.

He mentioned before the Celtic game last night Petrie told him at a hibs board meeting he wasn’t being considered for the Scotland job.

I'm confused. What possible reason would prevent the SFA wanting to talk to Neil Lennon?

Unless there's some other agenda ...

bingo70
16-02-2018, 08:59 PM
I'm confused. What possible reason would prevent the SFA wanting to talk to Neil Lennon?

I’m confused now.

They didn’t talk to him as they didn’t want him as manager?

I think they probably felt he’d be too divisive a character and there was also a conflict of interests with Petrie being hibs chairman as well as being on the selection committee.

He’d have been the perfect appointment for Scotland imo however I’m pleased he’s staying with us.

trev the hat
16-02-2018, 09:16 PM
Wherever he’s been as a manager McLeish has never immersed himself fully into any job he’s had imo
He left us / Scotland exactly when it suited him.
Was fortunate to have decent budgets at club level (eternally grateful for Sauzee / Latapy obviously)
I just can’t warm to him at all & never 100% did when at ER if I’m honest.
There is no change within the rented corridors of stagnation at Hampden & this appointment will ease the pathetic confirmation of Hampden’s future as national stadium choice.
No progressive thinking at all on all fronts I’d say.

ancient hibee
16-02-2018, 09:24 PM

What makes you think the SFA ever wanted to speak to Lennon.It was all paper talk.

Tomsk
16-02-2018, 09:34 PM
What makes you think the SFA ever wanted to speak to Lennon.It was all paper talk.

I don't recall the SFA ever saying they wanted to speak to Lennon. Strange. Don't you think?

angus hibby
16-02-2018, 09:45 PM

This wouldn’t surprise me. Didn’t Walter Smith have Tommy Burns as his assistant or at least as one of his backroom staff?

Surely McLeish should pick his normal assistant, which was first Andy Watson and more recently, Alex Rae. Now I wouldn’t want Rae anywhere near the Scotland squad but don’t recall McLeish ever working with Grant. So have the SFA made the Grant appt too to ensure Celtic are represented?

pacorosssco
16-02-2018, 09:51 PM
This wouldn’t surprise me. Didn’t Walter Smith have Tommy Burns as his assistant or at least as one of his backroom staff?

Surely McLeish should pick his normal assistant, which was first Andy Watson and more recently, Alex Rae. Now I wouldn’t want Rae anywhere near the Scotland squad but don’t recall McLeish ever working with Grant. So have the SFA made the Grant appt too to ensure Celtic are represented?

think him and watson unlikely hook up again. Id take a cheeky bet Barry Ferguson but Gary Caldwell been spreading legs so will prob be no2

jacomo
16-02-2018, 09:56 PM
think him and watson unlikely hook up again. Id take a cheeky bet Barry Ferguson but Gary Caldwell been spreading legs so will prob be no2

I think he’d be smart to pick a younger coach as his no.2, someone who can relate to the players.

pacorosssco
16-02-2018, 10:04 PM
I think he’d be smart to pick a younger coach as his no.2, someone who can relate to the players.

who u think. burley picked pressley but he said struggled get rangers players to listen. mcleish go for celtic background compensate or an old don maybe.

I could see neil mccann maybe being involved but who knows. Yogi might just get a shout to be involved.

xyz23jc
16-02-2018, 10:31 PM
Old Firm Axis of Evil will be complete with the appointment of....... Roy Aitken! Saw him mentioned in one of the papers talking about his aul pal Alex!
:greengrin:devil::duck:

ian cruise
16-02-2018, 11:00 PM
Feels a bit uninspiring, he's not done particularly well since he walked out of the Scotland job however I've always felt he's a manager who suits cup competitions more than the week in week out league campaigns so maybe Scotland will be a good fit for him second time round. Fingers crossed.

flash
17-02-2018, 06:30 AM
I feel like a bit of a leper as i still like him and think he was the right appointment.
Certainly bètter than Michael O'Neill.

Northernhibee
17-02-2018, 08:46 AM
I feel like a bit of a leper as i still like him and think he was the right appointment.
Certainly bètter than Michael O'Neill.

We dodged a bullet with O'Neill imo.

McLeish was the best of a bad bunch. Uninspiring but, still.

ancient hibee
17-02-2018, 12:06 PM

Apart from working with Grant at Birmingham,Nottingham and Villa.Another conspiracy theory booted up the backside?

SouthMoroccoStu
17-02-2018, 12:10 PM
Surely a must for attending our game today

No shortage of very talented Scottish players on both sides

Keith_M
17-02-2018, 12:21 PM
This is the guy that abandoned Hibs to go to Ibrox, then abandoned Scotland...you get the picture.

Honestly, what's not to like

:rolleyes:

Eyrie
17-02-2018, 01:19 PM
This is the guy that abandoned Hibs to go to Ibrox, then abandoned Scotland...you get the picture.

Honestly, what's not to like

:rolleyes:

The GJP is still Scotland manager this afternoon*, so his sense of loyalty and commitment has improved since those days.

*At the time of typing this anyway. The author takes no responsibility for anything happening after hitting "Submit Reply".

jacomo
17-02-2018, 01:25 PM
who u think. burley picked pressley but he said struggled get rangers players to listen. mcleish go for celtic background compensate or an old don maybe.

I could see neil mccann maybe being involved but who knows. Yogi might just get a shout to be involved.

Hard to say, depends who is available and wants it.

Let’s assume McLeish will put the time in watching games and picking the squad, so his no.2 could combine those duties with a club role.

Gary Caldwell has a mixed record as manager but might not be a bad shout.

CathroMustStay
17-02-2018, 01:47 PM
Disgraceful appointing this EBT taking cretin.

3pm
17-02-2018, 01:57 PM
Take it he’ll be here today?!