Scott Alan

Take your pick
:grr: :panic:

The Pointer
06-02-2018, 08:11 AM
Their, there, they're or they are.

Captain Trips
06-02-2018, 08:13 AM
Perhaps maybe some people have difficulty spelling? I think it is obvious who people mean.

It might not be "that hard" for you or me but perhaps it is for others.

Gregor
06-02-2018, 08:16 AM
"Russel" Latapy is the one that used to give me a twitch. Even worserer, the EEN couldn't even get his name right when he was linked with Hibs ; Russel Lataps they called him (to be fair Lataps was generally how folk referred to him back in the day, e.g if they had spoken to his agent, for example, he was called "Lataps").

lapsedhibee
06-02-2018, 08:18 AM
Perhaps maybe some people have difficulty spelling? I think it is obvious who people mean.

Some people have difficulty crossing the road. Moral: take extra care when you're doing it. Agree that it is obvious who people mean.

Jim44
06-02-2018, 08:49 AM
"Russel" Latapy is the one that used to give me a twitch. Even worserer, the EEN couldn't even get his name right when he was linked with Hibs ; Russel Lataps they called him (to be fair Lataps was generally how folk referred to him back in the day, e.g if they had spoken to his agent, for example, he was called "Lataps").

Archie Macpherson used to annoy me with his pronunciation of Latapy. He always put the emphasis on the second ‘a’ and it sounded so stupid, not to mention disrespectful, as he must have heard every man and his dog get it right. :bitchy::crazy:

SirDavidsNapper
06-02-2018, 08:57 AM
Archie Macpherson took it to new levels of mispronunciation with "Adrian Sproule".

snooky
06-02-2018, 09:02 AM

It might not be "that hard" for you or me but perhaps it is for others.

Here Hear :wink:

Michael
06-02-2018, 09:12 AM
Scott Alen
Scott Allen
Scott Allan
Scott Alan

Take your pick

I have no idea which it is. I look him up every time I write his name.

Billychaotic182
06-02-2018, 09:12 AM
I have dyslexia, I proof read everything I write before I post it but sometimes things slip through. When it gets pointed out I try and make a joke of it but it does sometimes make me feel like I’m an idiot. It’s not because I don’t ‘take extra care’ it’s because I can’t see the error I have made. To me it looks normal. Which is more embarrassing when it is pointed out.

Pretty certain this is not about me but I’m just trying to give an idea as to how these things might happen and effect others have when you deem it appropriate to slag them. I however can count on one hand how many times this has happened to me on .net and I’ve been a member since I was a teenager.

Diclonius
06-02-2018, 09:13 AM
Dylan McGoduahfjzowkfjwosksjsnfcuvuvufieiwodiwkxjcjvisks mfkvpapqprnfncjdjeouch

SirDavidsNapper
06-02-2018, 09:14 AM
I have no idea which it is. I look him up every time I write his name.

Its defiantly Scot Allan 😉

stantonsboots
06-02-2018, 09:15 AM
L E E A N N

It's really not that hard.transfer windae must be shut then!:greengrin

lapsedhibee
06-02-2018, 09:24 AM
I have dyslexia, I proof read everything I write before I post it but sometimes things slip through. When it gets pointed out I try and make a joke of it but it does sometimes make me feel like I’m an idiot. It’s not because I don’t ‘take extra care’ it’s because I can’t see the error I have made. To me it looks normal. Which is more embarrassing when it is pointed out.

Pretty certain this is not about me but I’m just trying to give an idea as to how these things might happen and effect others have when you deem it appropriate to slag them. I however can count on one hand how many times this has happened to me on .net and I’ve been a member since I was a teenager.

:top marks for making the effort and, apologies, there was no intention to slag off people who like you do make an effort. Quite the reverse - I believe the misspelling of people's names on here is largely because people can't be bothered, on the grounds that it doesn't really matter because it's clear who is being talked about. Which is true, it usually is clear, but not caring about spelling is a slippery slope, the bottom of which is the end of civilisation as we know it. (Already there's generations of people who don't know which way to pass port round a table!)

Jim44
06-02-2018, 09:26 AM

I see where you are coming from and sympathise ............ serious spelling and grammar police get up my knows. :greengrin

Iain G
06-02-2018, 09:27 AM
Derek O'Riordan

Billychaotic182
06-02-2018, 09:29 AM
:top marks for making the effort and, apologies, there was no intention to slag off people who like you do make an effort. Quite the reverse - I believe the misspelling of people's names on here is largely because people can't be bothered, on the grounds that it doesn't really matter because it's clear who is being talked about. Which is true, it usually is clear, but not caring about spelling is a slippery slope, the bottom of which is the end of civilisation as we know it. (Already there's generations of people who don't know which way to pass port round a table!)

Like I said it’s a rare thing to happen on here for me. But it has happened. As for players names. I thank google, I have to google most of our non uk players to get the correct spelling of their names haha

hibsbollah
06-02-2018, 09:30 AM

Good point. My kids have dyslexia and sometimes I forget myself and get irritated when I see their written work. We should all try to be more forgiving about spelling imo. I often think that when I was at school dyslexia wasn't really a thing and my kids would've been chucked in a remedial class until they were old enough to leave at 15 and do a badly paid job. Things have improved, thankfully.

Bill Milne
06-02-2018, 09:32 AM
for making the effort and, apologies, there was no intention to slag off people who like you do make an effort. Quite the reverse - I believe the misspelling of people's names on here is largely because people can't be bothered, on the grounds that it doesn't really matter because it's clear who is being talked about. Which is true, it usually is clear, but not caring about spelling is a slippery slope, the bottom of which is the end of civilisation as we know it. (Already there's generations of people who don't know which way to pass port round a table!)

There's? You mean there are!!

lapsedhibee
06-02-2018, 09:35 AM
Dylan McGoduahfjzowkfjwosksjsnfcuvuvufieiwodiwkxjcjvisks mfkvpapqprnfncjdjeouch

I'd be pronouncing that "McGee-och" with the last bit as in "och aye the noo" but I've heard a couple of people on the wireless say "m'goosh". Is McGeouch a trick name like Belvoir, Marjoribanks and that? How does Dylan pronounce it?

lapsedhibee
06-02-2018, 09:37 AM
There's? You mean there are!!

I do, but there're's too ugly.

ancient hibee
06-02-2018, 09:38 AM

My niece has dyslexia and when she was at Uni I seem to recall she had some sort of special keyboard.It may have been an early form of auto correct and was a huge help to her.

TonyStokeprano
06-02-2018, 09:39 AM
Nothing worse than folk that want to go around slagging people for not being able to spell correctly, or correcting folks words when its so obvious what they actually meant anyway. I think most folk that do this probably had a hard childhood and wasnt very popular as a youth, now trying to make themselves feel better in life by going around laughing at folks spelling, ****ing sad losers. Get a a grip of yourselfs, pathetic

hibsbollah
06-02-2018, 09:40 AM
My niece has dyslexia and when she was at Uni I seem to recall she had some sort of special keyboard.It may have been an early form of auto correct and was a huge help to her.

Correct. Also my daughters uni gave her free software, and those tinted lenses also help to sort out that 'letter jumble' effect dyslexics often report.

Geo_1875
06-02-2018, 09:40 AM
L E E A N N

It's really not that hard.

I thought this was the start of a **** valentine card thread.

lapsedhibee
06-02-2018, 09:41 AM
Like I said it’s a rare thing to happen on here for me. But it has happened. As for players names. I thank google, I have to google most of our non uk players to get the correct spelling of their names haha

Like most of us, I guess. Though that's not 100% reliable. It spells the Showumni brothers' surnames differently! #disgrace #wtf?

Deansy
06-02-2018, 09:42 AM
To/Too and once I even seen 'Two' used !

lapsedhibee
06-02-2018, 09:45 AM

:greengrin

Bill Milne
06-02-2018, 09:46 AM
I do, but there're's too ugly.

Don't mean to criticise but my very intelligent niece is studying Sports Science at Uni and seems to find it difficult to spell correctly or use proper grammar. What is being taught in schools these days?

Famous Fiver
06-02-2018, 09:50 AM
Irony or am I just too simple?

OP confused between Speling and Spelling?

lapsedhibee
06-02-2018, 09:52 AM
Don't mean to criticise but my very intelligent niece is studying Sports Science at Uni and seems to find it difficult to spell correctly or use proper grammar. What is being taught in schools these days?

Don't think grammar's been formally taught in Edinburgh's state schools since the 1960s. My wee brother had to pick it up himself.

Time For Heroes
06-02-2018, 09:52 AM

😂😂😂

lapsedhibee
06-02-2018, 09:54 AM
Irony or am I just too simple?

OP confused between Speling and Spelling?

I can't change it now. An admin prick could.

sleeping giant
06-02-2018, 09:59 AM
Shan thread.
Let's all mock the poor sods who can't spell or were not fortunate to get as good an education as others.

wpj
06-02-2018, 10:00 AM
Correct. Also my daughters uni gave her free software, and those tinted lenses also help to sort out that 'letter jumble' effect dyslexics often report.

We provide that at work as well delighted to say it has made a difference to people

Hibbyradge
06-02-2018, 10:06 AM
Nothing worse than folk that want to go around slagging people for not being able to spell correctly, or correcting folks words when its so obvious what they actually meant anyway. I think most folk that do this probably had a hard childhood and wasnt very popular as a youth, now trying to make themselves feel better in life by going around laughing at folks spelling, ****ing sad losers. Get a a grip of yourselfs, pathetic

Nothing worse? :faf:

There's nothing better than a sweeping generalisation which belittles and insults a large group of people whom one has never met and of whom nothing is known. Good work.

Now, is anyone able to give me a sweeping personality profile of someone who says "would of" instead of "would have"? Cheers. :wink:

Jumbo
06-02-2018, 10:18 AM
Garry OConner 🤔

Geo_1875
06-02-2018, 10:21 AM
Shan thread.
Let's all mock the poor sods who can't spell or were not fortunate to get as good an education as others.

I don't think anybody is mocking. It's only people expressing their frustration with people who can spell but pick the wrong option when translating their speech into written correspondence. I've seen posts where the author has used there, their and they're but each in the wrong context. They CAN spell these words but lazily misuse them.

Captain Trips
06-02-2018, 10:27 AM
I don't think anybody is mocking. It's only people expressing their frustration with people who can spell but pick the wrong option when translating their speech into written correspondence. I've seen posts where the author has used there, their and they're but each in the wrong context. They CAN spell these words but lazily misuse them.

I might not use correct tense or grammar and I do not care if others do or not. If I understand what they mean then for me that's fine. I use my phone a lot on here and it may change a word and I might not notice. If that's a problem for folk then tough.

Kojock
06-02-2018, 10:33 AM
Bad spellers of the world untie.

Mick O'Rourke
06-02-2018, 11:18 AM
Pronouncing my surname seems more difficult for some than spelling it.
Took me a few years to get the hang of it :greengrin
ohrook or ahrook was not uncommon.
Although,when i was younger it very much was an uncommon surname in Edinburgh,if not Scotland.

Thousands in New York and Boston though !

This guy knew how to deal with an alternative to his given name,though.

Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Geo_1875
06-02-2018, 11:20 AM
I might not use correct tense or grammar and I do not care if others do or not. If I understand what they mean then for me that's fine. I use my phone a lot on here and it may change a word and I might not notice. If that's a problem for folk then tough.

I totally agree with you. If the meaning is clear who cares about the spelling. However, sometimes grammar is important as a missing comma, colon, or full stop can completely change the meaning of a sentence. You then have to infer the meaning, risking jumping to the wrong conclusion and causing offence with an incorrect response. I also agree that replying from a phone can be a hassle if you don't notice misspelling or autocorrect incorrectly corrects what it assumes is an error.

Sammy7nil
06-02-2018, 11:26 AM
Really whooo Cares so looong as it is readable and it makes some sense :greengrin:wink:

Monts
06-02-2018, 11:35 AM
Really whooo Cares so looong as it is readable and it makes some sense :greengrin:wink:

Rlealy who craes so lnog as it is radeblae and it maeks smoe snese :greengrin:wink:

Billychaotic182
06-02-2018, 11:42 AM
Rlealy who craes so lnog as it is radeblae and it maeks smoe snese :greengrin:wink:

It worries me that I was able to read that with no problems

Monts
06-02-2018, 11:47 AM

As long as the first and last letters of a word are in the right place, it doesn't really matter about the order of the rest of the letters. Your brain just works it out.

Oscar T Grouch
06-02-2018, 11:55 AM

This is a very interesting point about how humans interpret the written word, as long as the first and last letter is correct it doesn't matter what order the other letters are in, it proves that we interpret whole words and not the individual letters to make a word. The brain is a wonderfully weird thing, especially the relationship between the brain and the eyes.

On the point of spelling, I was in remedial classes for English throughout school, I couldn't spell or write very well. It was only after I left school and started to read books and do crosswords that my spelling improved. My writing is still a scrawl though. I understand where people annoyed with careless spelling are coming from, but having been on the end of 11 years of being told I was stupid because of the way I spelt words I have complete empathy with those who find spelling difficult. You cannot tell if the person who is making the mistakes has issues with spelling so the best thing to do is leave it. If you understand what is written then whats the need to highlight the error?

Waxy
06-02-2018, 11:55 AM
Stoopid thred.

HoboHarry
06-02-2018, 12:04 PM
Stoopid thred.
Don't loose intrest.......

worcesterhibby
06-02-2018, 12:06 PM
Ok to be fair to the OP, he was picking people up on not being able to spell Leeann's name correctly. Spelling fairly unusual names has very little to do with being good at spelling, especially in the modern age when people seem to enjoy making up stupid ways to spell existing names. My wife is a teacher and in the last couple of years, at her school there have been people named Sharrun, Derik, Symon, Salli, Steevie, Kirstee. None of these children were from ethnic backgrounds that might make you think that it is a normal spelling of a name from another country. You see to me that's just parents being stupid and intentionally miss-spelling a common name, because they think it's trendy to do so. Leeann I would be tempted to put in the same category, but at the end of the day, I'm not the name police, so I won't.

To add to that you have a huge number of common names that have different spellings, and as a previous poster pointed out, Scott Allan is an excellent example of this. Then we have the issue of foreign names which generally nobody living in Scotland would be able to spell without checking and the various Mc and Mac surnames that can be confusing and it all goes to prove that spelling a persons name correctly is very little to do with being a good speller or whether you are dyslexic or not..it's down to whether you give the person the courtesy of checking the spelling of their name before writing about them. It always used to annoy me when English papers talked about Kenny Dalgliesh...it always struck me that they wouldn't have written about Kevin Keagan, because they would take more care.

All in all then, I guess what I'm saying is, that it's nice to take the time and effort to check how someone spells their name, because it's good manners. It has nothing to do with being good at spelling or being dyslexic, it's just common courtesy. Does it really matter...no I guess it doesn't, but it would look pretty stupid if we had a huge banner made for the next Derby that said...

Neil Lenin's Green & White Army

You see my point ?

Jim44
06-02-2018, 12:06 PM

As long as the first and last letters of a word are in the right place, it doesn't really matter about the order of the rest of the letters. Your brain just works it out.

It’s called Gestalt psychology, I believe. :smug:

1875godsgift
06-02-2018, 12:07 PM
Bad spellers of the world untie.

Yes, it's either uncle or auntie.

Unless there's some sort of gender identity involved, in which case you could be an ankle or an untie?

neil7908
06-02-2018, 12:10 PM

You should 100% not worry about it. I never really spell check my stuff on here or grammar and I don't get why someone would bother pointing it out.

If I'm at work and writing a report for my boss then of course I'd take a different tack but this is a football forum - grammar, spelling etc is totally irrelevant and I don't understand folk making a thing of it (not having a go at the OP doing it in jest but some people online get upset about it!)

NAE NOOKIE
06-02-2018, 12:26 PM
I have little time for folk having their spelling or grammar corrected on here, especially when its used to score points in an argument. The whole thing about the love of football is that it is shared by princes and paupers .... or more to the point, people with a university level education and people with next to none. Everybody makes mistakes in spelling or grammar, including me, but I like to think I'm getting my point across even if I have made mistakes. I hate the thought that another Hibby would feel unable to join in with debates on this forum for fear of having their intelligence questioned ... its not on !!!

In my working life I have met highly intelligent and street wise people who had extremely questionable grammar and couldn't spell for toffee. I have also met incredibly stupid people without a modicum of common sense whose spelling and grammar were exemplary.

Just sew long as a person is geting there poynt accros in what dibate thay are being a person whats taking part in it hoo cares about there speling and grammur in al onesty.

Its more annoying when folk don't split up a long post into sentences and paragraphs .... that's a lot harder going to read than stuff with spelling mistakes and bad grammar.

I'm sure Lea Anne Dempster and Dylan Mac Geeough would agree :greengrin

Fisherrow Harp
06-02-2018, 12:39 PM

Yup i get that at uni also. The level of support i get there (had to watch myself on that one 😉) is fantastic and a world away from my schooling in the late 70's and 80's.

snooky
06-02-2018, 01:25 PM

:top marks. :greengrin

Hibbyradge
06-02-2018, 01:36 PM
Ok to be fair to the OP, he was picking people up on not being able to spell Leeann's name correctly. Spelling fairly unusual names has very little to do with being good at spelling, especially in the modern age when people seem to enjoy making up stupid ways to spell existing names. My wife is a teacher and in the last couple of years, at her school there have been people named Sharrun, Derik, Symon, Salli, Steevie, Kirstee. None of these children were from ethnic backgrounds that might make you think that it is a normal spelling of a name from another country. You see to me that's just parents being stupid and intentionally miss-spelling a common name, because they think it's trendy to do so. Leeann I would be tempted to put in the same category, but at the end of the day, I'm not the name police, so I won't.

To add to that you have a huge number of common names that have different spellings, and as a previous poster pointed out, Scott Allan is an excellent example of this. Then we have the issue of foreign names which generally nobody living in Scotland would be able to spell without checking and the various Mc and Mac surnames that can be confusing and it all goes to prove that spelling a persons name correctly is very little to do with being a good speller or whether you are dyslexic or not..it's down to whether you give the person the courtesy of checking the spelling of their name before writing about them. It always used to annoy me when English papers talked about Kenny Dalgliesh...it always struck me that they wouldn't have written about Kevin Keagan, because they would take more care.

All in all then, I guess what I'm saying is, that it's nice to take the time and effort to check how someone spells their name, because it's good manners. It has nothing to do with being good at spelling or being dyslexic, it's just common courtesy. Does it really matter...no I guess it doesn't, but it would look pretty stupid if we had a huge banner made for the next Derby that said...

You see my point ?

Celtc fans didn't seem to mind.

lapsedhibee
06-02-2018, 02:40 PM

You see my point ?
Yes, and agree with every word (except the one you've intentionally misspelled, obvs.)

lapsedhibee
06-02-2018, 02:47 PM

Indeed but but but you wouldn't want to read a whole book written that way, would you? Or a long newspaper article. Or even a short newspaper article. Or a long forum post. Or a short forum post. Or anything, really? :dunno:

I read the ninth word of your variant, on its own, as "razorblade". Exactly what I'll be reaching for if there's much more misspelling of Leeann's name.

beensaidbefore
06-02-2018, 04:17 PM
More to the point why are folk spelling names wrong? Some spellings or relatively common names is hilarious.

Iain G
06-02-2018, 04:59 PM
More to the point why are folk spelling names wrong? Some spellings or relatively common names is hilarious.

I think checking the correct spelling of our own players and management is kind of a sensible and respectful thing to do while finding amusing and rude ways of spelling Hearts players or management is also a sensible but thoroughly disrespectful thing to do 😁

snooky
06-02-2018, 08:58 PM
Scott Alen
Scott Allen
Scott Allan
Scott Alan

Take your pick

Michael Miles - do I win a prize? :cb

hibsbollah
07-02-2018, 08:17 AM
The whole misuse of reflexive personal pronouns 'myself, yourself' is the thing that nips my heid the most, far more than people spelling things wrong. You get it a lot in bank letters, customer relations department emails. Just say 'me' or 'you' :grr:

https://www.ft.com/content/4b5020e2-0a63-11e8-8eb7-42f857ea9f09

pollution
16-02-2018, 10:16 PM
This site is littered with bad spelling.

HibbyAndy
22-02-2018, 08:02 PM
Riorden , The guy was an absolute god FFS get his name right !!

RIORDAN

Mibbes Aye
22-02-2018, 08:29 PM

You see my point ?

:agree:

My surname is relatively unusual and people often assume one spelling which is incorrect rather than the actual spelling, and in fairness I can't blame them, it would be an obvious, if false, assumption. I've had to put up with it as long as I can remember and it doesn't bother me too much.

What it has done though has made me absolutely obsessive and compulsive about spelling other people's names right but also getting the pronunciation right. And I agree, it's just good manners.