PDA

View Full Version : Things you now 'get' you never thought you'd 'get'.

hibsbollah
15-01-2018, 08:05 AM
Moisturising. I always used to mock men who do this, now I enthusiastically slap it on the face and hands every morning. Not properly comfy without it.

Hands free headsets. I probably look like I'm talking to myself while walking along but I don't care. Used to think it was the preserve of ****ers.

A beard. It's just great. Well my one is anyway.

Gatecrasher
15-01-2018, 08:27 AM
People wearing Backpacks everywhere, now I know people are carrying laptops and gym clothes and such.

hibsbollah
15-01-2018, 09:05 AM
People wearing Backpacks everywhere, now I know people are carrying laptops and gym clothes and such.

:faf: Packers backpack in the sales?

Gatecrasher
15-01-2018, 10:15 AM
possible, though I have nothing to carry in it!

snooky
15-01-2018, 10:30 AM
Eating cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli.

Geo_1875
15-01-2018, 11:43 AM
Moisturising. I always used to mock men who do this, now I enthusiastically slap it on the face and hands every morning. Not properly comfy without it.

Hands free headsets. I probably look like I'm talking to myself while walking along but I don't care. Used to think it was the preserve of ****ers.

A beard. It's just great. Well my one is anyway.

It is.

JeMeSouviens
15-01-2018, 11:43 AM
Mobile phones.

Of course, in those days all you could do with them was make phone calls. :rolleyes:

Scouse Hibee
15-01-2018, 12:30 PM
Hibs

Since90+2
15-01-2018, 01:05 PM
Steak done medium-rare. Up until a few years ago the thought of eating steak less than well done would have made me sick , nowadays I see it as a waste of money to get the meat cremated.

danhibees1875
15-01-2018, 02:07 PM
Steak done medium-rare. Up until a few years ago the thought of eating steak less than well done would have made me sick , nowadays I see it as a waste of money to get the meat cremated.

Yet you get it medium-rare? :wink:

Gin and tonic for me.

MSK
15-01-2018, 05:33 PM
Real ale, never thought I would take to drinking it, vodka, love the stuff, esp Grey Goose, Cauliflower cheese, gave me the boaks when younger, love it now, and erm.... Nivea mens cream .. 🤭

Hibrandenburg
15-01-2018, 06:02 PM
Whisky, as a young man I absolutely hated it, now I go through a few bottles a year.

overdrive
15-01-2018, 06:38 PM
Real ale, never thought I would take to drinking it

I’m the opposite. I always used to drink real ale and I hated lager except in the blazing sun. It seemed too fizzy and bagged me up very quickly. I still like real ale but quite often I’ll get a lager now, ironically as real ale now seems to bag me up and I find the lager more refreshing.

MSK
15-01-2018, 06:49 PM
I’m the opposite. I always used to drink real ale and I hated lager except in the blazing sun. It seemed too fizzy and bagged me up very quickly. I still like real ale but quite often I’ll get a lager now, ironically as real ale now seems to bag me up and I find the lager more refreshing.I wouldnt touch anything other than Tennents, prob due to the fact I worked as a Drayman for 15 years with them so consumed a lot. We incorporated Caledonian brewers within our fleet & I tried some of their stuff with Caledonian 80” being my preference at the time.

Nowadays lager gives me dodgy guts so if Im out with my Brother for a few I tend to go for session ales, failing that, Guinness or a stout

snooky
15-01-2018, 09:52 PM
Whisky, as a young man I absolutely hated it, now I go through a few bottles a year.

Me too. I was 49 before I started to drink whisky. Not taking it with lemonade and switching to malt with ice sure did help :cool2:

Captain Trips
15-01-2018, 11:15 PM
Mobile phones.

Of course, in those days all you could do with them was make phone calls. :rolleyes:

I say they are computers that have phones on them.

snooky
15-01-2018, 11:39 PM
"Things you now 'get' you never thought you'd 'get'. "

Really auld :ill:

sleeping giant
16-01-2018, 10:21 PM
Fingered

Hibrandenburg
16-01-2018, 10:27 PM
Fingered

:faf: Prostrate?

sleeping giant
16-01-2018, 10:42 PM

Well there was that time anaw I suppose :greengrin:

Hibrandenburg
16-01-2018, 11:02 PM
Well there was that time anaw I suppose :greengrin:

:greengrin

snooky
17-01-2018, 12:24 AM
Fingered
Now that is open to many interpretations, m'lud :cool2:

CropleyWasGod
17-01-2018, 05:32 AM
:faf: Prostrate?Could be standing up....

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

hibsbollah
17-01-2018, 08:23 AM

Sounds like a case of the Maitland-Niles...

heretoday
17-01-2018, 09:53 AM
Guinness. I've learned that it can vary in quality depending on how good the cellar is. Some tastes of nothing, some tastes sour if the pipes haven't been cleaned. Best pint I've had in Edinburgh so far is Mathers West End.

snooky
17-01-2018, 10:24 AM
Classical Music

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-01-2018, 01:24 PM
Architecture (particularly churches), I wouldn't say I get it but, I can appreciate it, in years gone by it completely passed me by (I've not got a religious bone in my body so, dear knows whats happened there)!

Hibrandenburg
17-01-2018, 09:36 PM
Architecture (particularly churches), I wouldn't say I get it but, I can appreciate it, in years gone by it completely passed me by (I've not got a religious bone in my body so, dear knows whats happened there)!

Looming doom would be my bet.

Mibbes Aye
17-01-2018, 10:01 PM
Looming doom would be my bet.

Not disagreeing :greengrin

The architecture of churches, cathedrals especially, is something that I only started to get into maybe five years ago or so. Especially those built around the 10th-14th centuries, basically when the Romanesque period transitioned into the Gothic period.

The stories about how architects came up with the theory and practice to build these enormous, stunning edifices are fascinating.

Hibrandenburg
17-01-2018, 10:19 PM
Not disagreeing :greengrin

The architecture of churches, cathedrals especially, is something that I only started to get into maybe five years ago or so. Especially those built around the 10th-14th centuries, basically when the Romanesque period transitioned into the Gothic period.

The stories about how architects came up with the theory and practice to build these enormous, stunning edifices are fascinating.

Last time I was back in Edinburgh I didn't hire a car because I wanted to walk the city. I'd never noticed before how many churches were in the city of all denominations and many literally next door to each other. It must have been a sight back in the day with them all competing against each other for custom.

Mibbes Aye
17-01-2018, 10:55 PM
Last time I was back in Edinburgh I didn't hire a car because I wanted to walk the city. I'd never noticed before how many churches were in the city of all denominations and many literally next door to each other. It must have been a sight back in the day with them all competing against each other for custom.

:agree:

Across the centre of the city there's a real spread in particular, with maybe the two St Mary's as bookmarks

And then you get somewhere like Holy Corner, though I think at least one of the four churches isn't a church as such, anymore.

One of the things that also struck me was I remember watching a programme about Worcester Cathedral, a particularly pretty cathedral that overlooks the Worcestershire County Cricket Club pitch.

The stonework is grey and battered by centuries of the weather, like many churches, but when it was originally built it was seemingly painted in a myriad of colours. This wasn't uncommon and must have made for some sight.

JeMeSouviens
18-01-2018, 12:45 PM

In a similar pseud's vein :wink: , art. Not that I'm a huge fan but if you'd told the young me I'd make an effort to go and see various paintings in museums in various places you'd have got short shrift.

Geo_1875
18-01-2018, 02:16 PM
In a similar pseud's vein :wink: , art. Not that I'm a huge fan but if you'd told the young me I'd make an effort to go and see various paintings in museums in various places you'd have got short shrift.

While I've always been aware of the Old Masters, seeing them in books and on TV, when you see them "in the flesh" it does take your breath away. The colour and detail just doesn't come across in any form of reproduction.

JeMeSouviens
18-01-2018, 02:44 PM
While I've always been aware of the Old Masters, seeing them in books and on TV, when you see them "in the flesh" it does take your breath away. The colour and detail just doesn't come across in any form of reproduction.

:agree:

I'm more of a late-impressionists-onwards person but this definitely falls into that category, possibly my favourite painting, it's in the Musee d'Orsay in Paris.

http://www.galerie96.com/images/products/main/775565084L_eglise_d_Auvers_sur_Oise_modifie_1.jpg

... and no colour but this has to be seen in the flesh:

https://walkandbikeinfrance.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/n.jpg

Getting back to the church theme, the Sistene chapel was genuinely breathtaking as well. I expected to be underwhelmed but wowsers.

snooky
18-01-2018, 08:00 PM

I'm at the Kevin Bridges stage of art appreciation when it comes to visiting art galleries.

"S***e, s***e, s***e - oh, is that a Diego Ravera? - s***e , s***e, ...."

JeMeSouviens
19-01-2018, 09:17 AM
I'm at the Kevin Bridges stage of art appreciation when it comes to visiting art galleries.

"S***e, s***e, s***e - oh, is that a Diego Ravera? - s***e , s***e, ...."

Is that the bit where he assumes the guy's dug is named after Maradona? :greengrin

snooky
19-01-2018, 09:52 AM
Is that the bit where he assumes the guy's dug is named after Maradona? :greengrin

:agree: Same sketch.

O'Rourke3
20-01-2018, 11:18 PM
Water chestnuts.

snooky
21-01-2018, 05:18 PM
"Things you now 'get' you never thought you'd 'get'. "

Over a derby defeat quite quickly. :cool2:

Scouse Hibee
21-01-2018, 05:30 PM
Red Wine

Future17