PDA

View Full Version : Cheltenham Festival 2018

HibernianJK
11-01-2018, 05:38 AM
Right I appreciate there is a separate ongoing thread for racing but the Fez deserves it own thread as racing’s biggest week.

I’ll get us started and I really fancy Native River for the Gold Cup. Might Bite is rightly favourite however I feel this whole campaign has been geared around the GC for Native River. He had a hard season last year in the Hennessy, Welsh National and the Denman Chase beforehand cheltenham and I feel Tizzard is trying to prep him just perfectly.

Other one I particularity like is Didtheyleaveyououttoo in the bumper. 2 lovely wins so far and looks special.

Pretty Boy
13-01-2018, 02:47 PM
Waiting Patiently showing his Festival credentials beating an established Grade 1 field at Kempton comfortably. 5 from 5 over fences now and price cut for both the Queen Mother and the Ryanair.

ekhibee
13-01-2018, 03:56 PM
Waiting Patiently showing his Festival credentials beating an established Grade 1 field at Kempton comfortably. 5 from 5 over fences now and price cut for both the Queen Mother and the Ryanair.
I was just about to comment on this, you got in before me. That was a really impressive performance by Waiting Patiently against good opposition. I'm quite tempted to back him at Cheltenham, depending on what race he runs in. Very impressive.

HibernianJK
13-01-2018, 08:29 PM
I was also very impressed with Waiting Patiently who was in my treble. He has form over Politologue who’s been touted for the Queen Mum but would like to see him over the Ryanair Trip.

Pretty Boy
13-01-2018, 08:57 PM
I was also very impressed with Waiting Patiently who was in my treble. He has form over Politologue who’s been touted for the Queen Mum but would like to see him over the Ryanair Trip.

The problem with the QM is that if Altior shows up the field will fall apart. The lastest stage of entries shows nearly 30 horses left in. I guarantee if Altior is fit then only 5 or 6 will go to post.

HibernianJK
13-01-2018, 11:34 PM
The problem with the QM is that if Altior shows up the field will fall apart. The lastest stage of entries shows nearly 30 horses left in. I guarantee if Altior is fit then only 5 or 6 will go to post.

Completely agree. Nichols has confirmed Politologue will definitely go so at least there will be some level of competition. If you then add Waiting Patiently and Douvan (unlikely) then it could be the race of the Festival. It could go either way.

ekhibee
17-01-2018, 11:31 AM
There's never a big field for the Champion Chase anyway, the most I can think of in recent times is probably 11 in 2014. Most of these entries will drop out regardless of who the opposition is, but of the major players Douvan is out for the season, Waiting Patiently more than likely will go for the RSA, and Politilogue, just in my opinion, just isn't good enough. It's a pity really, a Douvan at his best has far stronger form that Altior, but to be fair to Altior, you can only beat who's put in front of you, and he's no guarantee to run either. Not a race I'm particularly keen on from a betting perspective unless some other horses such as Yorkhill actually show some better form before the race.

HibernianJK
18-01-2018, 10:56 AM
There's never a big field for the Champion Chase anyway, the most I can think of in recent times is probably 11 in 2014. Most of these entries will drop out regardless of who the opposition is, but of the major players Douvan is out for the season, Waiting Patiently more than likely will go for the RSA, and Politilogue, just in my opinion, just isn't good enough. It's a pity really, a Douvan at his best has far stronger form that Altior, but to be fair to Altior, you can only beat who's put in front of you, and he's no guarantee to run either. Not a race I'm particularly keen on from a betting perspective unless some other horses such as Yorkhill actually show some better form before the race.

Mullins said recently Douvan could be in line for a surprise appearance at the festival. Unlikely, but not impossible. Waiting Patiently is no longer a novice I don’t believe, just missed the tail end of last season with injury. Agree with Politologue. As much as I think he’s a lovely horse, he’s just not in the top table. Could pick up the scraps if anything goes wrong with the big guns though.

HibernianJK
20-01-2018, 11:18 PM
Un De Sceaux going for the Ryanair hardly suprising but confirmed by Mullins after a lovely run in the Clarence House.

ekhibee
22-01-2018, 02:01 PM
Un De Sceaux going for the Ryanair hardly suprising but confirmed by Mullins after a lovely run in the Clarence House.
Was very impressed with him, he's a good, consistent horse. Still think he should've gone for the Queen Mother though.

HibernianJK
23-01-2018, 09:07 AM
Was very impressed with him, he's a good, consistent horse. Still think he should've gone for the Queen Mother though.

I’m not sure. You saw what happened the year before on quick round over 2m. Blew up and had nothing left turning for home. Pace too quick.

Pretty Boy
23-01-2018, 10:32 AM
I think 2 miles on spring ground is far too quick for UDS. Ryanair seems the sensible choice.

ekhibee
23-01-2018, 02:15 PM
The weather is not typically seasonal this year, don't be surprised if it's soft/heavy come March. IMO that would suit Un De Sceaux and Waiting Patiently (whatever race he goes for). Best to wait and see.

HibernianJK
23-01-2018, 11:44 PM
The weather is not typically seasonal this year, don't be surprised if it's soft/heavy come March. IMO that would suit Un De Sceaux and Waiting Patiently (whatever race he goes for). Best to wait and see.

Don’t get me wrong if it comes up soft or heavy he may well he in there. Think Jefferson has confirmed WP for Ryanair. Could be a great race this year.

Pretty Boy
25-01-2018, 07:53 PM
Another interesting piece of the Gold Cup jigsaw this weekend with the Cotswold Chase. Last seasons was one of the highlights and also the undoubted lowlight of the entire season. The battle up the hill between Thistlecrack and Many Clouds was steeplechasing at it's very best, what happened moments later was a reminder of what a tough sport this is at times. I've heard last years race described as the 'Gold Cup that never was' and whilst I'm not sure I agree with that it was very sad neither horse lined up in March. Many Clouds was a favourite of mine, to win the Hennessey with 11st 6lbs and the National with 11st 9lbs in the only sub 9 minute time in 15 years were 2 special performances by a horse that was a true warrior.

This weekend I think it's last chance saloon for Coneygree but I'm not holding ny breath, BDM has to prove Kempton was a blip and he can handle Cheltenham, Tea for Two has a chance to prove his King George place was no fluke, The Last Samarui should like the ground and American has to bounce back from his poor Henessey run.

For me though the bet is Definitly Red. He won well last time at Aintree in horrible weather and he looks a real stayer. He was 23 lentghs behind BDM at Wethrby but I have a feeling he is a better horse now and this race will play to his strengths. I'm not convined the Gold Cup winner is to be found in this race though.

Pretty Boy
27-01-2018, 12:24 PM
Rain, rain and more rain at Cheltenham. Thinking BDM is increasingly looking like the right bet. Last Samarui may be the danger in the bog.

Pretty Boy
27-01-2018, 12:56 PM
What a ride by Bryony Frost on Frodon.

She's one of the most talented young jockeys I've seen in years. She's a scary talent.

Pretty Boy
27-01-2018, 01:33 PM
Don't change your mind and trust your gut is the lesson today.

ekhibee
27-01-2018, 03:37 PM
Well I reckon the ground is going to play a major part in the Cheltenham Festival and the chances of various horses. Just watching the Cleve Hurdle, won well in the end by Agrapart who loves soft/heavy ground, beating Wholestone who would definitely have preferred better ground, the rest well behind.

Pretty Boy
27-01-2018, 06:54 PM
So from what I can gather from interviews after today Frodon will likely go for the Ryanair, Finians Oscar is in limbo, Bristol De Mai might skip Cheltenham and go for the National or the Bowl, Definitly Red will go for the Gold Cup and Blacklions path is as yet undecided but may include Cheltenham and Aintree.

Pretty Boy
27-01-2018, 09:08 PM
Oh and where the hell is Native River?

HibernianJK
27-01-2018, 11:32 PM
Oh and where the hell is Native River?

Seasonal reappearance in the Denman at Newbury. No injury to worry about. I feel Tizzard keen to keep him fresh for GC after tough campaign last year.

Hibs1972
04-02-2018, 01:27 PM
Samcro fairly hosed up today but the question remains as to what race he runs in at Cheltenham? Betting wise I’d like to see him go for the Supreme,imagine the bookies if he wins the 1st race,can hear them crying already!!:cb

Pretty Boy
04-02-2018, 01:50 PM
Samcro fairly hosed up today but the question remains as to what race he runs in at Cheltenham? Betting wise I’d like to see him go for the Supreme,imagine the bookies if he wins the 1st race,can hear them crying already!!:cb

Gordon Elliot said post race he might skip Cheltenham altogether and go straight to Punchestown. Can't see it though and think he's just playing games.

I still think we'll see him in the Ballymore.

Hibs1972
04-02-2018, 03:13 PM
Gordon Elliot said post race he might skip Cheltenham altogether and go straight to Punchestown. Can't see it though and think he's just playing games.

I still think we'll see him in the Ballymore.
Cant see it not going,Ballymore the obvious target,bring it on!!

Pretty Boy
04-02-2018, 03:25 PM
Edwulf wins the Irish Gold Cup at 33s. Some story given what happened to him at Cheltenham last year when it was doubtful he would ever race again.

Wonder if he'll take his chance at the Festival?

ekhibee
07-02-2018, 04:55 PM
Altior's supposedly running on Saturday in the Game Spirit at Newbury. If he carries on his natural state of progression he should win comfortably, but Fox Norton and Politilogue will keep him honest. Just my opinion obviously, but I don't fancy either of those 2 for the Queen Mother, so Altior should win this, unless he obviously shows signs of needing the race.

Pretty Boy
07-02-2018, 07:12 PM
Altior's supposedly running on Saturday in the Game Spirit at Newbury. If he carries on his natural state of progression he should win comfortably, but Fox Norton and Politilogue will keep him honest. Just my opinion obviously, but I don't fancy either of those 2 for the Queen Mother, so Altior should win this, unless he obviously shows signs of needing the race.

Saw Nicky Hendersons intervie the other day. He said that Altior will lose one day and he's probably the most vulnerable he has been this week.

For betting purposes I won't be touching him but it could be a decent indicator to see if he is potentially opposable at Cheltenham.

HibernianJK
08-02-2018, 03:55 AM
Saw Nicky Hendersons intervie the other day. He said that Altior will lose one day and he's probably the most vulnerable he has been this week.

For betting purposes I won't be touching him but it could be a decent indicator to see if he is potentially opposable at Cheltenham.

The early price of 4/6 certainly does seem a bit short but wouldn’t be surprised at all if that drifts slightly and he goes off around even money. Certainly a more backable price.

ekhibee
09-02-2018, 03:24 PM
Another very promising horse, Fountain's Windfall, died in a training accident suddenly. He was a horse I was watching with great interest and was prominent in the betting for the RSA. RIP. Fox Norton is out of the race at Newbury by the way.

Pretty Boy
10-02-2018, 01:34 PM
Very good comeback by Native River. As soon as Cloudy Dream, admittedly not a strong stayer or finisher, came at him he kicked on and won by miles. He'll be cut for the GC now.

ekhibee
10-02-2018, 02:06 PM
Very good comeback by Native River. As soon as Cloudy Dream, admittedly not a strong stayer or finisher, came at him he kicked on and won by miles. He'll be cut for the GC now.
Well as you just said, Cloudy Dream, not for the first time proves that he doesn't stay the distance and Saphir Du Rheu definitely needed the run, often makes glaring mistakes and all Native River needed to do was jump round and stay on his feet. Bookies benefit really, they wanted an excuse to shorten his price up and they got it.

Pretty Boy
10-02-2018, 02:08 PM
Altior. Wow.

Just walked past the best performing British 2 mile chaser this year. On the bridle, on ground that isn't ideal and after a long lay off.

Shaping up to be a good face off with Min in March now, he won't be odds against now that's for sure.

ekhibee
10-02-2018, 02:37 PM
Altior. Wow.

Just walked past the best performing British 2 mile chaser this year. On the bridle, on ground that isn't ideal and after a long lay off.

Shaping up to be a good face off with Min in March now, he won't be odds against now that's for sure.
He'll win the Champion Chase, looks like Douvan is out for the season. The bookies must love this meeting, first odds-on Native River then a 1/3 favourite wins a 3 horse race and they can shorten the odds even more for the Champion Chase and make him even less attractive for punters. By the way, Altior's only ever run on good/good to soft or soft ground, today was his ground. Class act, a very good horse who does sometimes hit a flat spot in his races but always manages to produce the goods. 1 minor concern would be that he looked vulnerable in last season's festival, but after that was really impressive, so it doesn't make sense to back against him, and it might pay to either back something else each-way or just leave the race alone.

lord bunberry
14-02-2018, 12:28 AM
I hope you all know that I’m noting down all this info for when I head down there. There was a time when I used to study for weeks before Cheltenham, but not now, it’s more a social occasion with a chance to win a few quid, but if I don’t it’s all your fault :greengrin

HibernianJK
14-02-2018, 01:27 AM
Douvan might be in line to appear on Saturday at Gowran. I mentioned earlier in the thread that Ricci said he does have a chance to make Cheltenham. He is entered in the Ryanair but surely would need to go for the Queen Mother.

Pretty Boy
14-02-2018, 02:46 PM
Coneygree, Whisper and Bristol De Mai all out at the latest stage of Gold Cup declarations. 27 remain in. Might Bite favourite at 7/2.

Defi De Seuil and The New One, as expected, both out of the Champion Hurdle. 19 still in. Buveur D'Air fav at 4/9.

Barters Hill, Beer Goggles, Shaneshill and Cole Harden all out the Stayers. 26 still in. Supasundae fav at 100/30.

Waiting Patiently out the QM. 21 still in. Altior fav at 8/11.

WeeRussell
14-02-2018, 04:59 PM
He'll win the Champion Chase, looks like Douvan is out for the season. The bookies must love this meeting, first odds-on Native River then a 1/3 favourite wins a 3 horse race and they can shorten the odds even more for the Champion Chase and make him even less attractive for punters. By the way, Altior's only ever run on good/good to soft or soft ground, today was his ground. Class act, a very good horse who does sometimes hit a flat spot in his races but always manages to produce the goods. 1 minor concern would be that he looked vulnerable in last season's festival, but after that was really impressive, so it doesn't make sense to back against him, and it might pay to either back something else each-way or just leave the race alone.

That’s 3 different types of going you’ve named though, and given he’s done plenty of his work (and winning) on good.. PB has every right to argue that wasn’t his ideal ground?

Agree though - very impressive and I’ve taken some of sky bet’s evens they’ve offfered as a boost this week.

HibernianJK
14-02-2018, 06:34 PM
That’s 3 different types of going you’ve named though, and given he’s done plenty of his work (and winning) on good.. PB has every right to argue that wasn’t his ideal ground?

Agree though - very impressive and I’ve taken some of sky bet’s evens they’ve offfered as a boost this week.

I jumped on the Altior and Native River double boost at 14/1.

WeeRussell
15-02-2018, 07:43 AM
I jumped on the Altior and Native River double boost at 14/1.

Seen that but Native river isn’t for me.. yet. Haven’t got nearly as far as the gold cup yet haha

Pretty Boy
17-02-2018, 11:31 AM
Black day for me with the betting today.

Black Corton
Black Ivory
Blacklion

Decent chance with that treble I think.

Pretty Boy
17-02-2018, 08:23 PM
Black day for me with the betting today.

Black Corton
Black Ivory
Blacklion

Decent chance with that treble I think.

1st
Brought down (sadly fatally)
2nd

Black Corton looks the real deal and has won me a few pennies in the laat year. Nicholls might just have found a new Grade 1 horse.

ekhibee
17-02-2018, 09:25 PM
Betfair Chase at Ascot- what a brilliant race. Waiting Patiently is a class horse, and today he proved it, because Cue Card ran an excellent race in defeat, Frodon, Top Notch etc quite a way back. I suppose the only real disappointment was Coney Island who was pulled up much earlier, as I remember him winning so impressively earlier in the season. But this was the race that had everything.

ekhibee
18-02-2018, 01:53 AM
1st
Brought down (sadly fatally)
2nd

Black Corton looks the real deal and has won me a few pennies in the laat year. Nicholls might just have found a new Grade 1 horse.
It's close between Black Corton and a horse called Elegant Escape, they've both beaten each other by roughly the same distance, over roughly the same ground this season. The other horse that was in the mix was Fountains Windfall who was challenging them both when falling in both races. He sadly had to get put down after a freak training accident. Black Corton is best price 9-1 at Skybet for the RSA, Elegant Escape is 17/1. Black Corton has form at Cheltenham, and that could be significant, but it's a hell of a race to work out. I would agree with you that he might well be a Grade 1 horse, he's got an admirable attitude, but he's had a long season for a chaser, going for a race like the RSA, which is a really hard race to call, might just be going to the well once to often this season but I could easily be wrong.

IanM
20-02-2018, 02:28 PM
On Getabird all manner of prices for the supreme. He’s also in 80% of my remaining ante post multiples

Rather be unchanged at 143 for the close brothers handicap which surprised but delighted me at the same time. Looks like it’ll be very well handicapped at this early stage (Henderson 1 win 5 places since it’s been revamped in the last 13 runnings).

Our Duke will need to improve his jumping a lot to feature but is likely to do so and his current price for the GC is very appealing. Horses returning to the Gold Cup who haven’t won it before are 0/64 so prematurely ruled out a number in the field

Fagan, Samcro and Tiger Roll look 3 of Elliott’s best chances. Samcro’s time was significantly slower than the juvenile race (10 lengths down at the winning pole) which was ran immediately before his last outing probably means he’s short enough but can’t deny he’s been imressive - Fagan and Tiger roll both love cheltenham this time of year and are high on the shortlist

Footpad looks primed for the Arkle, after witnessing a very impressive Saint Clavados he will have to be foot perfect but has been chasing and although short, SC will ensure an honest gallop and don’t think there will be much between them over the last

Finally, Campeador in the county hurdle looks very interesting . Has been highly tried behind Faugheen/Supasundae this season but has put in some good performances. His jumping is a huge concern crashing out twice at the last (including when travelling like a dream in the Fred Winter 2016) but Barry G knows the horse well and should be thereabouts if getting a clean round - EDIT - no entry in the county, only left in The Champion Hurdle perhaps takes his chance in the imperial cup instead

Pretty Boy
25-02-2018, 08:26 PM
https://www.racingpost.com/news/cheltenham-2018/rating-the-bankers-the-festival-favourites-figures-suggest-we-should-back/320347

Quite an interesting analysis by the Post. Not sure I agree with all their conclusions but it's worth a bit consideration.

HibernianJK
25-02-2018, 10:33 PM
Rediciean has been my bet for a while for the Triumph to hacking it up with any money on him. Saturdays performance confirms this for me and quite confident of a massive run.

HibernianJK
25-02-2018, 10:38 PM
https://www.racingpost.com/news/cheltenham-2018/rating-the-bankers-the-festival-favourites-figures-suggest-we-should-back/320347

Quite an interesting analysis by the Post. Not sure I agree with all their conclusions but it's worth a bit consideration.

Don’t agree with all as wel but like the thinking behind it. I think Getabird is too short and will be on Kalashnikov.

Hibs1972
27-02-2018, 08:36 PM
My tip is a bit left field but I like the look of Rhinestone in the bumper,travelled very well in his 3 races to date and I think he’ll appreciate the likely better ground at this time of year,8-1 at the moment with bet 365.

HibernianJK
07-03-2018, 06:51 AM
Less than a week to go now folks. Anyone got any stronger fancies now we are so close? Being in Oz I won’t be able to watch until Gold Cup day so it’s going to be nervewracking waking up the first 3 days.

Hiber-nation
07-03-2018, 09:43 AM
Less than a week to go now folks. Anyone got any stronger fancies now we are so close? Being in Oz I won’t be able to watch until Gold Cup day so it’s going to be nervewracking waking up the first 3 days.

Been given a tip for Slate House in the Supreme Novices, e/w....if the ground's not too soft. 28/1 with Skybet.

Pretty Boy
07-03-2018, 11:54 AM
I want to take on Footpad. Favourites have a relatively poor record in the Arkle, think it's 5 in 24, but a lot of the other trends go in his favour. A lot of the trends also point to St Calvados and Petit Mouchir as well though.

Fancy Nube Negra in the Fred Winter, only defeat over hurdles was to Apples Shakira in the Triumph Trial at Cheltenham and it was a decent account without ever really threatening.

Loopz
08-03-2018, 09:48 AM
Joined a fantasy Cheltenham league and any advice would be appreciated. In the first 4 races each day I have to pick, 1, 2 & 3. I get extra points for getting places correct. Are there any must have horses and what are the outsiders that may get me points (I know nothing about horses but it’s a day in the pub on the Friday).

Pretty Boy
08-03-2018, 05:57 PM
Sizing John out the Gold Cup.

ekhibee
08-03-2018, 08:40 PM
Even at this stage there seem to be a whole load of horses entered for more than one race, so trying to 2nd-guess the trainer and what the ground's going to be like is virtually impossible. The Stayers Hurdle appeals to me from a betting perspective, I could be tempted to back Yanworth on the nose (if he actually runs in that race) and Lil Rockerfeller e/w (26/1), he's a favourite of mine and he's run well at the festival before. I also really fancy Lagostovegas in the Coral Cup, but he's not that great a price for such a competitive race (15/1).

Hibs1972
12-03-2018, 06:35 AM
Cracking start to the week,just went into my local shop to get a Racing Post for my journey down and only got charged £1.15 instead of £2.90,ya dancer!!:aok:

Pretty Boy
12-03-2018, 08:07 AM
Going today is heavy-soft in places. 10mm of rain overnight.

Could make things interesting.

IanM
12-03-2018, 09:31 AM
Guitar Pete in the Browns on Thursday

Pretty Boy
12-03-2018, 12:03 PM
Nicky Henderson tweeted Altior was lame this morning. Problem with his foreleg and pus in the foot. Excercised on the water treadmill and has had a poultice applied.

ekhibee
12-03-2018, 02:50 PM
Ground at Cheltenham's now officially heavy, adapt your bets accordingly...

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/cheltenham:-day-one-mudlarks/144409

Pretty Boy
12-03-2018, 08:25 PM
If anyone is interested Musselburgh have an additional jumps fixture this Friday with free entry. Could be a decent way to watch the GC.

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-03-2018, 08:43 PM
If anyone is interested Musselburgh have an additional jumps fixture this Friday with free entry. Could be a decent way to watch the GC.

I would imagine that being very popular with groups of guys on days out, a good start to the day with the Hibs game to follow.

ekhibee
13-03-2018, 01:23 PM
First 2 races at Cheltenham and front runners are getting destroyed on this ground. Footpad was impressive though.

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-03-2018, 02:10 PM
People that dont do racing won't get it but, the last few minutes for Lizzie Kelly is what its all about. (Never backed her horse).

lord bunberry
13-03-2018, 02:19 PM
I’ve had the first three winners. I’ve gone all or nothing on the jolly in the champion hurdle.

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-03-2018, 02:39 PM
I’ve had the first three winners. I’ve gone all or nothing on the jolly in the champion hurdle.

Collect your dough! nice one.

Pretty Boy
13-03-2018, 02:53 PM
Apples Jade for the most unoriginal treble of the day to pay for the week for me.

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-03-2018, 04:15 PM
bugger, 1 festival bet so far, ms parfois ew, nae harm done.

Hibs1972
13-03-2018, 06:35 PM
Four 2nds today!! Rather be done in the last would’ve paid my day,hey-ho!!:fuming:

lord bunberry
13-03-2018, 07:41 PM
Four 2nds today!! Rather be done in the last would’ve paid my day,hey-ho!!:fuming:

I had that one as well, it was painful waiting on the winning post to come., while knowing deep down it was going to get caught. Ran a good race though.

I'm_cabbaged
14-03-2018, 02:12 AM
I had that one as well, it was painful waiting on the winning post to come., while knowing deep down it was going to get caught. Ran a good race though.

I had the winner, thought the line was going to come too soon!

ekhibee
14-03-2018, 05:27 PM
Good performance from Altior, he really stayed on brilliantly when he looked in trouble 2 out. Not convinced he would have beaten Douvan who was still cruising when he fell 4 out but we'll never know.

HibernianJK
14-03-2018, 07:26 PM
Would love to see Douvan v Altior at Aintree or Punchestown on good ground. I don’t think Altior travelled as strongly as he can but he has so many gears. Douvan for me has always been a strong traveller and he’s not really been tested off the bridle apart from in a weak Arkle.

Pretty Boy
14-03-2018, 08:02 PM
I thought Altior was good today without being spectacular. His turn of foot when he was in trouble was undoubtedly impressive though. How hard Douvan would have pushed him had he stayed on his feet is a real case of what might have been.

As good as Altior is I think he has a bit to go to sit at the top table of 2 mile chasers with the likes of Moscow Flyer, Master Minded, Badsworth Boy, Viking Flagship or Sprinter Sacre. At 8 year old he might well get there.

ekhibee
14-03-2018, 11:09 PM
I thought Altior was good today without being spectacular. His turn of foot when he was in trouble was undoubtedly impressive though. How hard Douvan would have pushed him had he stayed on his feet is a real case of what might have been.

As good as Altior is I think he has a bit to go to sit at the top table of 2 mile chasers with the likes of Moscow Flyer, Master Minded, Badsworth Boy, Viking Flagship or Sprinter Sacre. At 8 year old he might well get there.
Totally agree with you there PB. But what really impresses me about Altior is his unquestionable ability to see races out. At the moment IMO he's very like Viking Flagship, a horse who always tried his hardest and never knew when he was beat. It won him 2 Champion Chases and was placed in another couple. He never had the class of the names you mentioned along with Barnbrook Again and Pearlyman, but he was still the horse of a lifetime. And as you say, Altior has age on his side too.

ekhibee
15-03-2018, 08:04 PM
I'm going to sound like a right killjoy here, but IMO the ground has made this festival a less than memorable one so far. Needless to say there's the usual collection of horses that have little or no form on the heavy ground who have won some of the races this year. The exceptions to this are Altior, who showed great resilience and guts to win the QM, and I thought Laurina was extremely impressive today in mares' novice hurdle. but in a lot of the races, far too many good horses have underperformed for it just to be on off day. Part of this is just sour grapes mind you, I've won virtually bugger all so far :greengrin

Pretty Boy
15-03-2018, 08:24 PM
I'm going to sound like a right killjoy here, but IMO the ground has made this festival a less than memorable one so far. Needless to say there's the usual collection of horses that have little or no form on the heavy ground who have won some of the races this year. The exceptions to this are Altior, who showed great resilience and guts to win the QM, and I thought Laurina was extremely impressive today in mares' novice hurdle. but in a lot of the races, far too many good horses have underperformed for it just to be on off day. Part of this is just sour grapes mind you, I've won virtually bugger all so far :greengrin

I’ve not enjoyed it hugely this year either. I’ve not done well betting wise but that’s an aside really, I’ve had bad festivals before and still enjoyed the racing.

I’ve just said elsewhere that 4 days is too long and on one hand you have some races that are diluted thence the other hand the needle in a haystack 20+ runner handicaps. God help us if they go through with plans to add a mares Chase from next year and continue to look at a 5 day event further down the line.

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-03-2018, 07:21 AM

1130 start for the first race, that took me a wee bit by surprise.

Hiber-nation
16-03-2018, 02:52 PM
Right I appreciate there is a separate ongoing thread for racing but the Fez deserves it own thread as racing’s biggest week.

I’ll get us started and I really fancy Native River for the Gold Cup. Might Bite is rightly favourite however I feel this whole campaign has been geared around the GC for Native River. He had a hard season last year in the Hennessy, Welsh National and the Denman Chase beforehand cheltenham and I feel Tizzard is trying to prep him just perfectly.

Other one I particularity like is Didtheyleaveyououttoo in the bumper. 2 lovely wins so far and looks special.

Thank you very much! Saved my week from being an utter disaster :greengrin

Hibee87
16-03-2018, 03:02 PM
Well its safe to say my horse racing 'luck' is non existent. had a lucky 15 and a patent on every day and most ive won is about 8.60......still got Mr big shot on the 16:50 and Born survivor on the 17:30 in the patent. If both win ill have made about 20 quid profit for the week......20/1 and 22/1 respectively so not looking good haha

heretoday
16-03-2018, 03:10 PM
What happened to Our Duke? Tailed off badly.

Pretty Boy
16-03-2018, 03:38 PM
What happened to Our Duke? Tailed off badly.

He absolutely clattered the 12th or 13th fence and never got gping again after that. ITV said he was fine and both fallers had walked in.

ekhibee
16-03-2018, 05:20 PM
No winners for me today, I would imagine there's a few other in the same position with two 33/1 shots and a 25/1 shot making it a bookies benefit. To be fair, Pacha Du Polder won that race the year before but it was on completely different ground. If anybody got the placepot up they'll be a tax exile by now...

HibernianJK
16-03-2018, 09:23 PM
Had a fair whack on Native River and had a nice we bet on Le Prezien to end up the week about £400 up.

Not long til Aintree and we can do it all over again.

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-03-2018, 11:39 PM
Chucked all my eggs into Might Bite's basket on about a dozen occasions since the turn of the year, sair one but, what a fantastic race (You don't know what the grounds going to be like 2 or 3 months before the race). Tried to be a smart arse and talked myself out of covering my bets with Native River this morning.

Pretty Boy
17-03-2018, 07:36 AM
Chucked all my eggs into Might Bite's basket on about a dozen occasions since the turn of the year, sair one but, what a fantastic race (You don't know what the grounds going to be like 2 or 3 months before the race). Tried to be a smart arse and talked myself out of covering my bets with Native River this morning.

Is there any word on Might Bite going to Aintree? I reckon he could win the bowl with me on his back.

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-03-2018, 09:14 AM
Is there any work on Might Bite going to Aintree? I reckon he could win the bowl with me on his back.

Henderson stopped just short of confirming that the horse would have another race this season, if it does you would imagine that would be the target.

Pretty Boy
17-03-2018, 09:28 AM
Henderson stopped just short of confirming that the horse would have another race this season, if it does you would imagine that would be the target.

Yep can only be the Bowl or the Puchestown GC.

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-03-2018, 09:32 AM
I would be tempted to call it a day until next season.

HibernianJK
18-03-2018, 01:39 AM
I’ve said that to my mate that Might Bite on a flat Aintree track with decent ground would reverse the places with Native River. However is it a very long straight at Aintree and wouldn’t rule out Might Bite going for another wander like in the RSA last year.