PDA

View Full Version : The work Christmas night out...............

lyonhibs
31-10-2017, 07:07 PM
It was with no small degree of relief that I realised I'll be out of the country on business on the date of this year's work Xmas night out.

Am I alone in feeling, at best, a total sense of ennui with this "tradition"?

Here in Switzerland there's generally less of the mass drinking and ****ging the secretary in the cloakroom etc but still, as I work a 30 minute train ride from where I live it will doubtless be a meal in some relatively remote restaurant with some jaunty hot drink outside part.

Last year, inexplicably, we went on a walk in the pitch ******' black holding these big wax candles that then proceeded to drip all over my decent shoes before the meal :confused:

There's just always something else I'd rather be doing of a winter night then spending it with the people I already work with for 40+ hours a week.

Jack
31-10-2017, 07:20 PM
The places putting on Christmas menus, everywhere, ought to hang their collective heads in shame at the overpriced crap they throw on the tables.

Having said that I've always quite enjoyed these events.

Killiehibbie
01-11-2017, 07:44 AM
Never been to an official one and never will. I told all the huns in my work to get their names down as it's the only way they'll get back to Hampden this season.

Gatecrasher
01-11-2017, 09:14 AM
The places putting on Christmas menus, everywhere, ought to hang their collective heads in shame at the overpriced crap they throw on the tables.

Spot on, the menus are garbage. When I am invited to something like this the first thing I do is look for whats on the menu and they are usually asking for £30+ for it as well. No thanks, I'll take a half day and go to lunch with my family.

Sylar
01-11-2017, 09:51 AM
Spot on, the menus are garbage. When I am invited to something like this the first thing I do is look for whats on the menu and they are usually asking for £30+ for it as well. No thanks, I'll take a half day and go to lunch with my family.

That's ordinarily what I do too.

I felt a little more compelled than normal this year, as I've just started a new job and arrived as all of the emails etc were doing the rounds, but again, looked at the menu and thought 'nah'.

wpj
01-11-2017, 10:10 AM
Luckily for me the food option is over subscribed so I only need to turn up after for the "disco" even that fills me with dread :rolleyes:

Hibrandenburg
01-11-2017, 10:18 AM
I love our Christmas and Summer parties. There's worse nights out than spending them with 300 over sexed, scantily dressed and inebriated stewardesses. Next year it will be over 700.

snooky
01-11-2017, 10:41 AM
Tip to revellers at works night out.
Stay sober. You'll reap the benefits in many ways for the rest of the year.
Trust me on this one. :coffee:

Hiber-nation
01-11-2017, 01:28 PM
Always loved the Christmas day/night out. You just choose your company carefully and ignore the idiots that get pished once a year....

bingo70
01-11-2017, 02:59 PM
Tip to revellers at works night out.
Stay sober. You'll reap the benefits in many ways for the rest of the year.
Trust me on this one. :coffee:

Just don’t be ‘that’ person that reminds everyone that was drunk what they got up to when they were drunk. Nobody wants to be told and the folk that do that (normally Middle Aged women that moan about everything) do my head in.

calumhibee1
01-11-2017, 04:17 PM
Never been to a work night out and have absolutely no intention at all of going to one any time soon.

hibs#1
01-11-2017, 06:10 PM
I love our Christmas and Summer parties. There's worse nights out than spending them with 300 over sexed, scantily dressed and inebriated stewardesses. Next year it will be over 700.

Is that you Harvey?

Hibrandenburg
01-11-2017, 06:57 PM
Is that you Harvey?

So being in the company of lots of ladies letting their hair down and enjoying themselves is not your thing. No need to be a cock about it though.

hibs#1
01-11-2017, 07:03 PM
So being in the company of lots of ladies letting their hair down and enjoying themselves is not your thing. No need to be a cock about it though.

Just a little joke,obviously missed the mark buy hey-ho.

Hibrandenburg
01-11-2017, 07:16 PM
Just a little joke,obviously missed the mark buy hey-ho.

If likening a fellow member to a sex offender is your sense of humour then yes, you missed the mark by a mile.

Jay
01-11-2017, 07:25 PM

To be fair your post wasnt the best.

hibs#1
01-11-2017, 07:28 PM
If likening a fellow member to a sex offender is your sense of humour then yes, you missed the mark by a mile.

Oh well I'm sorry if I offended you.Im sure your description of your female colleagues would probably offended them too.

Hibrandenburg
01-11-2017, 07:34 PM
To be fair your post wasnt the best.

To be fair the day when a man can't say he enjoys being amongst scantily dressed and over sexed women without being equated to a sex offender will be a sad one indeed.

bingo70
01-11-2017, 07:43 PM
To be fair the day when a man can't say he enjoys being amongst scantily dressed and over sexed women without being equated to a sex offender will be a sad one indeed.

Fwiw I think you’re over-reacting.

It was clearly intended as a light hearted joke and he wasn’t calling you a sex offender, it’s obviously just a topical name at the moment.

On a side note where is it you work and can I come to your Christmas night out please?

Jay
01-11-2017, 07:43 PM

Wow. Well today may be a sad day then.

hibs#1
01-11-2017, 07:52 PM

I agree. Possibly my joke was in bad taste but the original post definitely was.

Pretty Boy
01-11-2017, 07:58 PM
Every year I say I'm not going but the hassle of having to explain why not makes it easier just to say yes.

It's the classic company wanting to make a big deal of giving you something but doing it on their terms. You will have fun but only fun as it's prescribed by a 'trusted' person organising the whole ordeal.

Everything about it annoys me. Women spending months planning their outfits, booking hairdressers and make up artists in a passive aggressive game of trying to out do one another. Guys throwing back double brandies because it's free drink. Being looked at as a bit weird because your not hyperventilating with excitement or trying to give yourself alcohol poisoning. Then you have the boss constantly asking if you are havinga good time because you are only drinking a pint at a normal rate all the while carefully noting everyone who is a bit worse for wear so he can drop the bitching grenade then run back in the office the following week.

It's a bit like a fancy dress party; fun for people with no imagination or sense of humour.

bod
01-11-2017, 08:11 PM
It’s bad enough working with a****s let along drinking with them.staff do’s arent for me

heretoday
01-11-2017, 08:48 PM
Office parties are great. Plenty of scope for embarrassing behaviour. Step right up and get your erse photocopied.

Hibrandenburg
01-11-2017, 09:02 PM
Oh well I'm sorry if I offended you.Im sure your description of your female colleagues would probably offended them too.

Fair doos, as for my female colleagues, well I take it you've never been to an airline bash? It can get rather boisterous and rumbustious. As for my description of them, well most of them describe themselves similar.

Hibrandenburg
01-11-2017, 09:10 PM
Fwiw I think you’re over-reacting.

It was clearly intended as a light hearted joke and he wasn’t calling you a sex offender, it’s obviously just a topical name at the moment.

On a side note where is it you work and can I come to your Christmas night out please?

You might be right but comparing someone you don't know (even in jest) to a prolific sex offender is a risky attempt at humour that probably wouldn't be made face to face. I'm a strong believer that you should say anything on the net that you wouldn't do in the real world.

I could get you an invite but only as my partner :wink:

Hibrandenburg
01-11-2017, 09:19 PM

Maybe you need to accept and tolerate the fact that not every group's idea of a party is tea and biscuits in the local church hall. Berlin is and always has been known to be a sexually heterogeneous society and airline staff for their open mindedness. Maybe not everyone can or wants to live up to your high puritan standards.

Hibrandenburg
01-11-2017, 09:21 PM
I agree. Possibly my joke was in bad taste but the original post definitely was.

In your world possibly, but please don't try and project your personal standards on to others.

Hibrandenburg
01-11-2017, 09:23 PM
It’s bad enough working with a****s let along drinking with them.staff do’s arent for me

Sounds more like you need a change of job.

Hibrandenburg
01-11-2017, 09:25 PM
Office parties are great. Plenty of scope for embarrassing behaviour. Step right up and get your erse photocopied.

That is so last century. Nowadays it's all on Instagram before you can say ticklestick.

Jay
01-11-2017, 09:27 PM
In your world possibly, but please don't try and project your personal standards on to others.

Many would prefer his standards to yours. Your reference to an entire group professional women is a disgrace. Your attendance at many xmas nights out wouldnt be required imo

Hibrandenburg
01-11-2017, 09:35 PM
Many would prefer his standards to yours. Your reference to an entire group professional women is a disgrace. Your attendance at many xmas nights out wouldnt be required imo

I didn't mention an entire group of professional woman, only about 300 of them. The boys are just as bad by the way if not worse. Going by the description of most of the Xmas bashes on this thread it sounds like I wouldn't be missing much anyway.

frazeHFC
01-11-2017, 09:43 PM
Surprised how many people on here saying they don't go on work nights out, especially xmas. The 2 xmas nights out I went on in the previous office, and the 2 recent nights out I've had in the current office, have been a great laugh. Love a wee Friday jaunt to the pub with colleagues.

Scouse Hibee
01-11-2017, 10:17 PM
Surprised how many people on here saying they don't go on work nights out, especially xmas. The 2 xmas nights out I went on in the previous office, and the 2 recent nights out I've had in the current office, have been a great laugh. Love a wee Friday jaunt to the pub with colleagues.

Yes I agree, I often enjoy work night outs and they are far from the stereotypical descriptions thrown about on here.

heretoday
01-11-2017, 11:50 PM
Yes I agree, I often enjoy work night outs and they are far from the stereotypical descriptions thrown about on here.

I suppose I'm lucky to have done jobs where my workmates became friends too. We used to go for drinks at the end of shifts and the office party was always good. It was a bit "last century" as someone has said but I don't think anyone got harassed except the bosses who had to put up with some stick occasionally!

Mixu62
02-11-2017, 02:30 AM
I've avoided them for a few years now, more because I'd rather spend the energy on something else. Since I had my wee boy who is now 4 I don't really do big drinking, at Christmas or any other time. Firstly cos I don't want him to see me drunk and breathing beer fumes in his face when I stagger home, and secondly cos you need your wits about you when there is a kid in the house! (Also, the thought of being woken by him at about 6.00 am whilst hungover doesn't bear thinking about).

There's only 1 "do" I specifically avoided and that was one in Auckland, where they were having lunch & drinks (lots of drinks) on a boat cruise in the harbour. The thought of being stuck on a boat with drunk idiots didn't really appeal. At least if it's in the pub you can go home, but on a boat you're stuck there unless you fancy swimming for shore.

bingo70
02-11-2017, 07:32 AM
I've avoided them for a few years now, more because I'd rather spend the energy on something else. Since I had my wee boy who is now 4 I don't really do big drinking, at Christmas or any other time. Firstly cos I don't want him to see me drunk and breathing beer fumes in his face when I stagger home, and secondly cos you need your wits about you when there is a kid in the house! (Also, the thought of being woken by him at about 6.00 am whilst hungover doesn't bear thinking about).

There's only 1 "do" I specifically avoided and that was one in Auckland, where they were having lunch & drinks (lots of drinks) on a boat cruise in the harbour. The thought of being stuck on a boat with drunk idiots didn't really appeal. At least if it's in the pub you can go home, but on a boat you're stuck there unless you fancy swimming for shore.

I’m in a similar position to yourself, the only other thing I’d add is the cost.

For me the cost of living has spiralled out of control so much the most I could afford would be one night out a month. I’m not against a works night out and sometimes it’s nice to see people in a different light but if it comes to a choice, of course I’d rather have the Christmas night out with mates.

Steve-O
02-11-2017, 07:55 AM
You might be right but comparing someone you don't know (even in jest) to a prolific sex offender is a risky attempt at humour that probably wouldn't be made face to face. I'm a strong believer that you should say anything on the net that you wouldn't do in the real world.

I could get you an invite but only as my partner :wink:

A prolific sex offender who hasn’t yet been convicted of a single offence...

Tornadoes70
02-11-2017, 08:41 AM

Was Jimmy Saville ever convicted?

Off the top of my head he wasn't yet I doubt anyone would have a problem calling him a prolific sex offender. Sometimes its irrelevent if there's no convictions. Even a minority with convictions are actually innocent. Miscarriages of justice do happen. Not everything is as black and white as its sometimes made out to be.

Hibrandenburg
02-11-2017, 09:34 AM

Technically you are of course correct, I should have used the word "alleged".

Hibrandenburg
02-11-2017, 09:36 AM

Off the top of my head he wasn't yet I doubt anyone would have a problem calling him a prolific sex offender. Sometimes its irrelevent if there's no convictions. Even a minority with convictions are actually innocent. Miscarriages of justice do happen. Not everything is as black and white as its sometimes made out to be.

:agree:

Add to that there are people walking the streets only because they are capable of buying their justice.

danhibees1875
02-11-2017, 09:44 AM
I'm surprised at the amount of hate towards a wee Christmas doo. We have an office wide one which is usually a good laugh, food is usually a bit of a let down but I don't know where would serve up decent food for 300+ people (definitely not Ghillie Dhu I learned 2 years ago :sick: ). Free food and drink after an early finish one Thursday isn't something I find easy to argue with.

Separately, I organise a "year group" one with the people who joined at the same time as me - it's a fair bit smaller so usually get to a bit of a nicer place.

Maybe it all depends on who you work with and how well you get on with them. A lot of my best friends are/were work colleagues, and after work drinks are a fairly common occurrence - impromptu, or company organised.

Tornadoes70
02-11-2017, 09:54 AM

Add to that there are people walking the streets only because they are capable of buying their justice.

Exactly.

GGTTH

DH1875
02-11-2017, 10:00 AM
I'm self employed and work by myself 95% of the time so my works night out is a carry out down the park on my own 😞.

CropleyWasGod
02-11-2017, 10:07 AM
I'm self employed and work by myself 95% of the time so my works night out is a carry out down the park on my own 😞.

On the plus side, nobody's going to accuse you of sexual harrassment.

(unless of course, you drink too much in the park and get frisky with yourself.......)

Hermit Crab
02-11-2017, 11:21 PM

Like this guy. :greengrin

https://youtu.be/VCM2DC2k8Cw

Steve-O
03-11-2017, 02:24 AM

You can't convict dead people, so no. The evidence against him in the end was overwhelming, so it is assumed that he was guilty of a large amount of what he was accused of, if not all of it.

It's a bit different when someone is alive.

Although Weinstein seems to have admitted to certain things, I'm not clear if he's actually admitted guilt to ALL of the things he's being accused of.

Anyway, going off track a bit. FWIW, I think the 'joke' was just a bit of black humour. There is a difference between that, and mocking victims of sexual abuse.