PDA

View Full Version : English Football League takes no action over ‘bra searches’ for female away fans

Stantons Angel
26-10-2017, 11:12 PM
. Women away fans attending a match at Stevenage football club say they were told by stewards to lift their tops up to reveal their bras in a “gross invasion of privacy.”
Despite a number of complaints, including from a 70-year-old woman, the English Football League has said that “no specific action will be taken”

The match between Stevenage FC and Grimsby Town FC in August resulted in a flurry of complaints from women away fans. On top of being asked to lift their shirts, women with underwired bras said their bras were felt by female stewards. ‘Gross invasion of privacy’

The Mariners Trust, a supporters’ group that represents around 3,000 Grimsby Town fans, wrote a letter to Stevenage FC shortly after the match. The letter said items were confiscated by stewards that were not part of the football clubs’ official banned items list, including contact lens solution, cough sweets and medication.

Stevenage FC’s banned items list Knives Fireworks Smoke canisters Air-horns Flares w Weapons Dangerous or hazardous items Laser devices Bottles Glass vessels Cans Poles Any article that might be used as a weapon and/or compromise public safety “

It is our view that the treatment of Grimsby supporters by your stewards was amongst the worst our fans have experienced in decades of travelling across the world to watch football,” the letter read. “Several female supporters were asked to lift their tops up to show their bras to female stewards upon entry to The Lamex Stadium. “This decision – in the queue in front of other supporters, including men and male stewards – is a gross invasion of privacy.

The Mariners Trust also said children as young as five were given full body searches. “At least one minor was visibly upset by being searched in this manner.” The Grimsby Town supporters’ group said stewards then stood in front of away fans to obstruct their view.

A Stevenage FC spokesman said: “The stewarding plan for Saturday’s match was not typical. “The risk assessment going into the game indicated high risk groups attending and the potential for anti-social and uncooperative behaviour.” It was thought women and children might be carrying “prohibited items”.

A “100 per cent compliant, searching regime” was implemented in the away section of the stadium.

Response from the English Football League “Following a comprehensive review of events alleged to have taken place prior to the League Two fixture between Stevenage and Grimsby Town on Saturday 19th August, the EFL has now given due consideration to the complaint raised in respect of the stewarding operation on the day

“On receipt of detailed observations from both Clubs, the EFL can confirm that no specific action is to be taken under its rules.

“The EFL will, however, continue to work with all its Clubs to ensure that attending matches remains an enjoyable, positive experience for supporters and, to assist, will be issuing updated guidance regarding a number of safety, security and stewarding.

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/essentials/sport/football/football-league-decides-not-act-bra-searches-stevenage-fc/

NAE NOOKIE
27-10-2017, 01:18 AM
It would be bad enough asking female fans to go somewhere private where a female steward could conduct a search ... to do it in full view ( if the article is accurate and there's no reason to believe it isn't ) of male supporters and male stewards is just beyond belief. I would hope any supporter witnessing such an act would step in immediately and ask them WTF they thought they were doing.

The EFL and Stevenage need to take a bloody good look at themselves .... utterly ridiculous :no way:

CentreLine
27-10-2017, 01:35 AM
Interesting that the article does not record whether any weapons or othe dangerous items were recovered.

heretoday
27-10-2017, 05:05 AM
It certainly represents a massive boob PR-wise for Stevenage.

Oscar T Grouch
27-10-2017, 05:20 AM
I think they should go straight to the commercial sponsors of the club and EFL. Write emails suggesting that supporting a club in these actions would lead to the withdrawal of business to these sponsors. This is just another example of how football fans of all types are treated like criminals for just following their team. If the club and the league think this is okay they need to learn that this will make fans won’t stand for it. Or we probably will because most of us brush these things off.

BoomtownHibees
27-10-2017, 06:20 AM
Tits

blackpoolhibs
27-10-2017, 09:35 AM
No flares were found but lots of bangers were.

Nakedmanoncrack
27-10-2017, 09:52 AM
To be honest, the so called searches conducted at every game I've been at, including high profile fixtures have generally been token gestures with no serious attempt to find anything. I take a bag to Easter Road most weeks, at most a look in the top and a feel is all it gets, I'll be honest I take forbidden items in every week - cartons of juice and bottles of water for my son. So it would be easy to hide something more sinister, however what is described here is shocking, if there is such a high risk at this game (hard to believe) then the appropriate technolology and safeguards should have been put in place to avoid degrading people like this, women wouldn't be asked to show their bras in front of everyone at airport security would they.

IGRIGI
27-10-2017, 09:57 AM
To be honest, the so called searches conducted at every game I've been at, including high profile fixtures have generally been token gestures with no serious attempt to find anything. I take a bag to Easter Road most weeks, at most a look in the top and a feel is all it gets, I'll be honest I take forbidden items in every week - cartons of juice and bottles of water for my son. So it would be easy to hide something more sinister, however what is described here is shocking, if there is such a high risk at this game (hard to believe) then the appropriate technolology and safeguards should have been put in place to avoid degrading people like this, women wouldn't be asked to show their bras in front of everyone at airport security would they.

Where can I sign up for that ? :greengrin

Hibbyradge
27-10-2017, 10:41 AM
That is utterly outrageous.

If my wife or my mate's daughter were subjected to this, I'd be furious.

In fact, if it was happening to any women around me, I'd step in.

Imagine if men were told to drop their trousers in public. No, you can't imagine that because it would never even be attempted.

I hope this is escalated. Surely the press will make an issue out of it.

Friggin disgrace.

Peevemor
27-10-2017, 10:57 AM
It was the stewards singing "get your tits out for the lads" that caused most upset apparently...

theonlywayisup
27-10-2017, 11:25 AM
It was the stewards singing "get your tits out for the lads" that caused most upset apparently...

Younger fans might be surprised to know that I recall the "East" chanting that a few times to any lady that happened to cross the pitch. How times have changed!

Back to the original post - it's shocking that anyone would think this was acceptable to ask ladies of any age to lift their tops to reveal their bras.

Stantons Angel
27-10-2017, 01:21 PM
Interesting that the article does not record whether any weapons or othe dangerous items were recovered.

The dangerous items taken from these supporters were:

"The letter said items were confiscated by stewards that were not part of the football clubs’ official banned items list, including contact lens solution, cough sweets and medication."

Stantons Angel
27-10-2017, 01:25 PM
Tits

Please don't bring this post into the gutter beside you!

this must have been humiliating to the women concerned, you wouldn't have liked it happening to your mum or wife would you?

Stantons Angel
27-10-2017, 01:28 PM

Imagine if men were told to drop their trousers in public. No, you can't imagine that because it would never even be attempted.

Friggin disgrace.

At least you are having the decency to appreciate how awful this must have been for these women.

some on here, as I might have known try to make rude jokes on the subject and are better saying nothing!

JimBHibees
27-10-2017, 01:31 PM

Friggin disgrace.

Agree absolutely disgusting.

Stantons Angel
27-10-2017, 01:32 PM

You are right there!

Id just like to see it happen to women when their men are with them in a queue beside them........ imagine the anger on their faces.....

No its not funny at all the snide remarks of some on here.

I posted this because I know a lot of women enjoy their football and would be rightly angered by this sort of situation.

Hibernia&Alba
27-10-2017, 01:32 PM
What were they thinking of? Not only is it embarrassing, but it's totally unnecessary. Did they think female fans might be hiding knives in their bras? It's crazy. Female hooliganism is hardly an issue.

NAE NOOKIE
27-10-2017, 01:59 PM
You are right there!

Id just like to see it happen to women when their men are with them in a queue beside them........ imagine the anger on their faces.....

No its not funny at all the snide remarks of some on here.

I posted this because I know a lot of women enjoy their football and would be rightly angered by this sort of situation.

Exactly ..... I know loads of match going female Hibbies and folk forget how absolutely invaluable their support was to the club when we were in the doldrums. When I started going there were very few females at the football, but now when you look around they form a fair sized proportion of our support.

Issues like this are incredibly relevant in modern football to every club and we are no different, we should be chuffed as hell that so many females have bought into the football culture, the advantages are staring you in the face ... Better to have dad 'and' mum encouraging their kids to follow the club and taking them to games... or aunties, sisters and grannies for that matter.

In view of that when one of our female ( I presume you are female :greengrin ) fans comes on here to draw attention to actions which impact on the privacy, dignity and feelings of the women and girls who follow the game and which has clearly angered her I don't think folk taking advantage of the open goal it presents for seaside postcard attempts at humour are particularly helpful or desirable :dunno:

mjhibby
27-10-2017, 02:46 PM

this must have been humiliating to the women concerned, you wouldn't have liked it happening to your mum or wife would you?
My other half would have given them a severe slap across the puss for their affronty. Beggars belief in these PC days that someone would be so bloody stupid. Maybe the security weren't the full shilling.

mjhibby
27-10-2017, 02:50 PM
Surprised this hasn't become a very big issue but after the aluko abuse and the way the fa reacted just reinforces what's been obvious for years. The fa is institutionally racist and sexist and seems to Police itself. Unreal considering the money involved. It's only a matter of time till the brand becomes toxic.

--------
27-10-2017, 02:54 PM
Exactly ..... I know loads of match going female Hibbies and folk forget how absolutely invaluable their support was to the club when we were in the doldrums. When I started going there were very few females at the football, but now when you look around they form a fair sized proportion of our support.

Issues like this are incredibly relevant in modern football to every club and we are no different, we should be chuffed as hell that so many females have bought into the football culture, the advantages are staring you in the face ... Better to have dad 'and' mum encouraging their kids to follow the club and taking them to games... or aunties, sisters and grannies for that matter.

In view of that when one of our female ( I presume you are female :greengrin ) fans comes on here to draw attention to actions which impact on the privacy, dignity and feelings of the women and girls who follow the game and which has clearly angered her I don't think folk taking advantage of the open goal it presents for seaside postcard attempts at humour are particularly helpful or desirable :dunno:

Totally agree. It's much the same whenever women's sports (including Hibernian Ladies football) are mentioned -derogatory, demeaning and insulting comments about 'the girls' and why 'the girls' shouldn't be playing 'men's games' like football, or rugby, or cricket. AND there are those who'll defend male spectators who come out with streams of filthy abuse of the players regardless of women or children around them. And of course the dirty jokes.

That report describes a gross invasion of privacy and the public humiliation of the women targeted. The person who authorised it should be named and sacked. The stewards who carried out the 'searches' without protest should be ashamed of themselves. It's not funny and it's shocking that Stevenage, the EFL, and the FA see nothing wrong in this.

However, shocking as it is, it doesn't surprise me that the FA and EFL have taken the position they have, though.

They saw nothing wrong in the conduct of the appalling man Sampson in his treatment of the England Ladies' football squad - presumably they considered his sexist and racist attitudes and behaviour just what you would expect in a football dressing-room. Men on this forum were defending him even when it had become clear that his conduct had been utterly indefensible.

So often these days I find myself so ashamed of my fellow males - but then those who think with their bollocks, talk bollocks. :devil:

I was at the theatre in Glasgow on Wednesday evening. All bags were being searched at the door, and I was asked to open my jacket so show I wasn't carrying anything threatening underneath. Everything done courteously and quickly. I know it's a different venue and occasion, but there are assumptions being made - chiefly that Doddie the opera-goer is a much more law-abiding and peaceful character than Doddie the football fan. And I was sitting in the second row of the stalls and I could have been into the orchestra pit and attacked that bass trombonist anytime I wanted. (I HATE bass trombones.)

If Hibs had been at Ibrox that night, and I had gone, my experience would have been very different. And to an extent I can understand that - but not to the point of women and girls being required to part-undress in public for the amusement of a bunch of pervy polis and stewards.

And just as a matter of interest - when was the last time the Grimsby Town FC Ladies Casuals ran riot at a football match?

lord bunberry
27-10-2017, 04:28 PM
Surely it’s illegal to ask a woman to lift up her top. The police would never be allowed to do that, so I don’t see how a steward at a football game would be allowed to do it. It’s just another case of football fans being treated like animals.

Stantons Angel
27-10-2017, 04:31 PM

You presumed correctly and i am not just angered by this i am totally disgusted.

I have been following Hibs along time now and over the years i have had to adapt to many social changes impacting on the game.

how any one in this day and age can make a decision to allow this utter invasion of personal privacy is way beyond me!

It has taken women attending football games years to gain any sort of acceptance from their male peers, this has just put us back 20years,

thank you for showing that all males are not as shallow as some on here.

BoomtownHibees
28-10-2017, 12:11 AM

Neither would have let it happen

Hibbyradge
28-10-2017, 12:29 AM

Wow. Your blaming the women to justify your childish remark?

Really?

--------
28-10-2017, 01:26 AM

Really? You think they'd have a choice? Refuse the first demand to search them, and try to leave the scene, and the police would probably step in and detain them, take them to a police station, and they would be searched there.

It's not optional when stewards and police decide to search you at the approach to a football ground these days.

Wee Effen Bee
28-10-2017, 09:07 AM
My other half would have given them a severe slap across the puss for their affronty. Beggars belief in these PC days that someone would be so bloody stupid. Maybe the security weren't the full shilling.

Yes. Remember though, people relate showing ‘PC’ to showing decency and respect to all. The PC movement was the vehicle to forward the idea that we should respect everyone - until they give us a reason to question that respect. We shouldn’t say we are being PC, rather, we are being respectful. 😁

BoomtownHibees
28-10-2017, 09:19 AM
Wow. Your blaming the women to justify your childish remark?

Really?

Not sure how you come to that conclusion but you crack on.

I spoke about it to my wife last night and her words were “there’s no way on earth I’d be letting a steward search me like that, I’d rather no go to the game”

BoomtownHibees
28-10-2017, 09:21 AM
Really? You think they'd have a choice? Refuse the first demand to search them, and try to leave the scene, and the police would probably step in and detain them, take them to a police station, and they would be searched there.

It's not optional when stewards and police decide to search you at the approach to a football ground these days.

Of course they have a choice. If you went to Motherwell today and a steward asked you to drop your trousers so he could search you outside, are you saying you would do it because otherwise you would end up detained at a police station?

--------
28-10-2017, 09:33 AM
Of course they have a choice. If you went to Motherwell today and a steward asked you to drop your trousers so he could search you outside, are you saying you would do it because otherwise you would end up detained at a police station?

If I were asked to do that I would know I was in trouble and - honestly - I wouldn't quite know how to respond.

I wouldn't co-operate, but I would expect the police to be involved immediately, either to deal with the steward or to deal with me. Those women at Stevenage were clearly placed in a threat situation and they should not have been, and to suggest that they were somehow at fault for co-operating is to miss that point entirely.

Bostonhibby
28-10-2017, 09:34 AM
I've been to Stevenage quite a few times down the years and I always did and still do regard it as like visiting a non league club, everything about them feels that way. On the stewarding in particular I found this one hard to fathom as there's normally the sort of stewarding that you see at games at that level, not a lot of it, amateur and unobtrusive.

I am guessing they thought there was a reason to police the Grimsby fans differently (?) in my limited experience of the fishy people at Boston and Lincoln they certainly do travel in bigger numbers and are a noisy lot, certainly noisier than I've ever heard at Stevenage but they weren't in any bother that I've seen at what were local derbies.

On this particular issue I think Stevenage have f'd up big style - there's absolutely no excuse for this type of searches - and the authorities are doing the usual and making their initial attempt at sweeping it under the carpet and hoping it will go away.

BoomtownHibees
28-10-2017, 09:38 AM
If I were asked to do that I would know I was in trouble and - honestly - I wouldn't quite know how to respond.

I wouldn't co-operate, but I would expect the police to be involved immediately, either to deal with the steward or to deal with me. Those women at Stevenage were clearly placed in a threat situation and they should not have been, and to suggest that they were somehow at fault for co-operating is to miss that point entirely.

I’ve never once suggested they were in any way to blame. Yes I maybe made a silly remark calling the steward “tits” but it was meant to be light-hearted which I appreciate wasn’t taken like that by a few on here.

The stewards were 100% to blame but as you say yourself above, if you are asked to do something you don’t feel comfortable doing, you don’t “need” to do it. Getting the police involved there and then should have been the way to go

Phil MaGlass
28-10-2017, 10:53 AM
Strange I always thought if women were being searched it would have been done by a female steward.Maybe the issue should have been reported to the police and not the League.Also demeaning to women having to pull up their tops in front of many people. Again should be reported to police

Keith_M
28-10-2017, 11:21 AM
Surely it’s illegal to ask a woman to lift up her top. ...

I was thinking that as well. Surely this is a criminal offence.

Stevenage FC certainly didn't do themselves any favours by continually insisting this was acceptable.

--------
28-10-2017, 01:45 PM
I’ve never once suggested they were in any way to blame. Yes I maybe made a silly remark calling the steward “tits” but it was meant to be light-hearted which I appreciate wasn’t taken like that by a few on here.

The stewards were 100% to blame but as you say yourself above, if you are asked to do something you don’t feel comfortable doing, you don’t “need” to do it. Getting the police involved there and then should have been the way to go

Yup - sorry, I overreacted.

What I'm saying though is that with the changes in the law to cope with terrorism (which seem to be pretty unsuccessful in preventing terrorist attacks if the past summer's anything to go by) it's no longer clear what exactly one's legal rights are in a situation as described.

And the root of the problem is that police and clubs see and treat football audiences as low-life potential criminals from the start. Put on a football scarf and you're guilty until proven innocent.

silverhibee
28-10-2017, 03:19 PM
Surely it’s illegal to ask a woman to lift up her top. The police would never be allowed to do that, so I don’t see how a steward at a football game would be allowed to do it. It’s just another case of football fans being treated like animals.

Why did females allow this to happen, why did male fans allow this to happen, f/:;ing mental, why did these women and parents with kids not report this to the police at the time, stewards must be acting illegally doing this, I'm amazed that women even agreed to lift there top up when asked to by the stewards, they should have been straight to the police and refused the searches.

silverhibee
28-10-2017, 03:23 PM

You think the police have the powers to search females in public, no chance, the police should have put a stop to it straight away.

--------
28-10-2017, 03:28 PM
You think the police have the powers to search females in public, no chance, the police should have put a stop to it straight away.

No, no. They can't do it in public - I know that. That's why I said "go to a police station" (which for most folks is scary indeed). Airport security have to provide privacy for security checks. But in the present atmosphere some police and auxiliaries like those stewards are prone to push their luck and exceed their authority.

I totally agree with you, silver - maybe not expressed myself properly - the police should have stopped this nonsense at Stevenage right away. The women should have demanded that the stewards identify themselves (they should be showing a collar number) and then demanded that police officers be called. I would think that the stewards involved were guilty of indecent assault at the least?

Bunch of pocket Hitlers.

silverhibee
28-10-2017, 03:28 PM

Sorry Doddie but if a steward asked me to drop my keggs he would be on the floor, that would give the police the option to then deal with it, are you really saying that these women and parents never had a choice, of course they did.

--------
28-10-2017, 04:39 PM
Sorry Doddie but if a steward asked me to drop my keggs he would be on the floor, that would give the police the option to then deal with it, are you really saying that these women and parents never had a choice, of course they did.

Sorry, I'm not expressing myself clearly. Of course they had a choice, but I think that these days people feel more threatened, more bullied and more wary of standing up to someone in authority, and that the authorities aren't above taking liberties, and taking advantage of this nervousness.

People don't know what exactly their rights are these days - that's what I'm saying - and because of that officious wee jobsworths can take advantage and abuse their power as happened here.

And I'm with you man - I drop my breeks for nobody, and I want to know who I'm speaking to in all situations. One thing which had occurred to me was whether those stewards were displaying their identification numbers clearly, or whether those numbers were covered by their high-vis gear. If the numbers weren't visible, that's another abuse.

And yes, if some spotty kid playing Rentacop demanded I drop my breeks, he would experience the holy ordinance of the laying on of hands, which is know frequently to leave the recipient horizontal and unconscious ....

"What happened here?" "Power of the Holy Spirit, officer. Just came out of nowhere."