PDA

View Full Version : Uefa nations league

Haymaker
11-10-2017, 02:21 PM
What the hell is this all about?

Seems to be an elaborate way to make sure the biggest nations get an extra attempt to qualify should they fail to normally

Moulin Yarns
11-10-2017, 02:27 PM

Seems to be an elaborate way to make sure the biggest nations get an extra attempt to qualify should they fail to normally

just UEFA inventing new ways for scotland not toqualify?

or

finding new and interesting waysof ‘optimising’ their revenue stream

CropleyWasGod
11-10-2017, 02:29 PM
As I read it, it actually gives the lesser teams a better chance of qualifying. If we were to win League C, I think we qualify directly?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Hibbyradge
11-10-2017, 02:29 PM
http://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/news/newsid=2079553.html#/

Scotland are in League C.

Hibbyradge
11-10-2017, 02:33 PM
As I read it, it actually gives the lesser teams a better chance of qualifying. If we were to win League C, I think we qualify directly?

It's only the top 4 teams in League A who qualify for the finals.

It sounds like a good idea. Games will be much more meaningful than friendlies, with promotion and relegation at stake.

Ryan69
11-10-2017, 02:35 PM
Why cant they just stick every teams name in a hat and draw it!

Hibbyradge
11-10-2017, 02:37 PM
Why cant they just stick every teams name in a hat and draw it!

It's not a full scale knock out tournament.

Cameron1875
11-10-2017, 02:42 PM
So instead of losing to better teams in friendlies we now have to lose to teams at our level in a Qualifying-lite tournament?

Fantastic!

In all seriousness it will take a wee while to get our heads around but it means the Nations Leagues games are all in September-Nov 2018 and then proper qualifiers are all done in 8 months (March 2019-Nov 2019).

Firestarter
11-10-2017, 02:44 PM
Reading that fks my head up.

Future17
11-10-2017, 02:45 PM

It sounds like a good idea. Games will be much more meaningful than friendlies, with promotion and relegation at stake.

I don't think that's right.

I think one team from each of the Leagues will qualify (in theory).

Sergio sledge
11-10-2017, 02:49 PM

The group winners from each league play off for a spot in the Euros, so there is a qualification place available from each league. 1 team from league D will qualify so it should give smaller teams a better chance of qualifying as they will face off against smaller teams for a place. One of Azerbaijan, FYR Macedonia, Belarus, Georgia, Armenia, Latvia, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Liechtenstein, Malta, Andorra, Kosovo, San Marino and Gibraltar will qualify.

Hibbyradge
11-10-2017, 02:50 PM
I don't think that's right.

I think one team from each of the Leagues will qualify (in theory).

I'm not sure either, but it looks like there are 2 elements to it.

"For the UEFA Nations League Finals, the group winners of UEFA Nations League A will play in a knockout format (semi-finals, third-place match and final) in June 2019 to become the UEFA Nations League winners."

Presumably those games will also be play offs for Euro qualification.

The other 3 leagues will only have play offs for Euro qualification.

I'm more discombobulated than ever 😁

Hibbyradge
11-10-2017, 02:55 PM
The group winners from each league play off for a spot in the Euros, so there is a qualification place available from each league. 1 team from league D will qualify so it should give smaller teams a better chance of qualifying as they will face off against smaller teams for a place. One of Azerbaijan, FYR Macedonia, Belarus, Georgia, Armenia, Latvia, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Liechtenstein, Malta, Andorra, Kosovo, San Marino and Gibraltar will qualify.

That's my understanding. It means that there are 2 possible routes to qualification.

CropleyWasGod
11-10-2017, 03:02 PM
That's my understanding. It means that there are 2 possible routes to qualification.So 2 possible ****-up routes for us?

Who else is in League C, who will beat us on goal difference?

(As an aside, are these continuing near-misses Karmic payback for Joe Jordan's handball....and when will it be paid off?)

Sergio sledge
11-10-2017, 03:04 PM
I'm not sure either, but it looks like there are 2 elements to it.

"For the UEFA Nations League Finals, the group winners of UEFA Nations League A will play in a knockout format (semi-finals, third-place match and final) in June 2019 to become the UEFA Nations League winners."

Presumably those games will also be play offs for Euro qualification.

The other 3 leagues will only have play offs for Euro qualification.

I'm more discombobulated than ever 😁

No, the final four playoff for League A to determine the overall winner is separate from the Euro qualification playoff. The final four playoff takes place in June 2019, and the Euro qualification playoffs are in March 2020.

Normal Euro qualification will happen once the initial phase of nations league is finished and the seedings for this draw will be based on the finishing positions in the nations league. There will be 10 groups in qualification and the top 2 will qualify. After qualification is finished the final four places in the euros will come from the nations league play-offs in March 2020. The four group winners in each league will play off for a place in the euros. Unless they have already qualified "If a UEFA Nations League group winner has already qualified via the European Qualifiers, then their spot will go to the next best-ranked team in their league. If a league does not have four teams to compete, the remaining slots are allocated to teams from another league, according to the overall UEFA Nations League rankings."

Simple.....

I'm all for it, it is pretty complicated but it means that pointless international friendlies are reduced and the majority of International games should now mean something.

Hibbyradge
11-10-2017, 03:09 PM
No, the final four playoff for League A to determine the overall winner is separate from the Euro qualification playoff. The final four playoff takes place in June 2019, and the Euro qualification playoffs are in March 2020.

Normal Euro qualification will happen once the initial phase of nations league is finished and the seedings for this draw will be based on the finishing positions in the nations league. There will be 10 groups in qualification and the top 2 will qualify. After qualification is finished the final four places in the euros will come from the nations league play-offs in March 2020. The four group winners in each league will play off for a place in the euros. Unless they have already qualified "If a UEFA Nations League group winner has already qualified via the European Qualifiers, then their spot will go to the next best-ranked team in their league. If a league does not have four teams to compete, the remaining slots are allocated to teams from another league, according to the overall UEFA Nations League rankings."

Simple.....

I'm all for it, it is pretty complicated but it means that pointless international friendlies are reduced and the majority of International games should now mean something.

Does that mean that the to 4 teams play in the Nations League finals and again in the play offs?

Yeah, I like the idea generally. I'll like it more once I fully understand it.

Sergio sledge
11-10-2017, 03:23 PM
Does that mean that the to 4 teams play in the Nations League finals and again in the play offs?

Possible, but unlikely as the top four in the nations league will probably have already qualified for the Euros, so their places in the playoffs will go to the next best available teams who haven't already qualified.

Hibbyradge
11-10-2017, 03:24 PM
SCOTLAND have been confirmed as top seeds in the third group in Uefa’s new Nations League tournament.

The draw for the new competition, which will replace international friendlies, takes place on January 24 in Switzerland.

And Scotland will be one of the four top seeds in League C, along with Hungary, Romania and Slovenia, who ended Gordon Strachan’s side’s Road to Russia hopes this week.

The Scots will face either Greece, Serbia, Albania or Norway in Pot Two; Montenegro, Bulgaria, Israel or Finland in Pot Three and either Cyprus, Estonia or Lithuania in the bottom Pot.

Teams will play each other home and away between September and November to determine the winners and losers of each mini-group.

Four places for Euro 2020 will be up for grabs, with each League having a pathway to the Finals, with the Nations League to run alongside the normal European qualifying sections.

Hibbyradge
11-10-2017, 03:25 PM
Possible, but unlikely as the top four in the nations league will probably have already qualified for the Euros, so their places in the playoffs will go to the next best available teams who haven't already qualified.

Yes, most likely. Cheers.

Pretty Boy
11-10-2017, 03:27 PM
Does this not somewhat limit the opportunities to try out younger players in international games? For all international friendlies are crap they at least, in theory anyway, gave managers the chance to look at new players and try other options.

With the prospect of relegation, promotion and jockeying for position for Euro qualification thrown into the mix it's going to make it even harder for fresh faces to get their foot in the door at international level.

Hibbyradge
11-10-2017, 03:32 PM
Does this not somewhat limit the opportunities to try out younger players in international games? For all international friendlies are crap they at least, in theory anyway, gave managers the chance to look at new players and try other options.

With the prospect of relegation, promotion and jockeying for position for Euro qualification thrown into the mix it's going to make it even harder for fresh faces to get their foot in the door at international level.

From the UEFA web site.

Will there be no more friendly internationals?

There will certainly be fewer friendly internationals and undoubtedly fewer meaningless friendlies. However, there will still be space in the calendar for friendly internationals – particularly warm-up matches for final tournaments.

UEFA is also keen that European teams will still have the chance to play opponents from other confederations.

Viva_Palmeiras
11-10-2017, 03:35 PM

A yes the League of Nations can only end well as history showed us

edinburghhibee
11-10-2017, 03:38 PM
I really like the idea of it. Let's give it a chance before kicking it into touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danhibees1875
11-10-2017, 03:44 PM
This actually explains it rather well:

http://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/news/newsid=2507364.html#/

After reading the BBC article twice, this thread, and now the above I think I finally get it! :greengrin

Instead of 4 of the extra Euro places being given out in regular qualification they are divided up between these 4 leagues and the 4 best teams in each league (who haven't already qualified) then play each other to decide who gets in.

Overall, I think it could be decent. :agree:

G B Young
11-10-2017, 03:52 PM
That's my understanding. It means that there are 2 possible routes to qualification.

Or as this explanatory article puts it 'a revised format which offers the excruciating possibility of Scotland actually making a mess of it twice in their bid to end the cycle of despair by reaching Euro 2020.'

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/scotland/new-uefa-nations-league-could-offer-salvation-to-scotland-1-4582372

I say explanatory, but I don't really understand the format either.

GreenNWhiteArmy
11-10-2017, 03:55 PM
I'm all for it. Brings a competitive edge to all international matches played.

Looking at the pots I'd like Norway, Finland and Cyprus (purely for the trip)

Interested to see what the SFA do for membership prices, ticket prices and venues

G B Young
11-10-2017, 03:55 PM
From the UEFA web site.

Will there be no more friendly internationals?

There will certainly be fewer friendly internationals and undoubtedly fewer meaningless friendlies. However, there will still be space in the calendar for friendly internationals – particularly warm-up matches for final tournaments.

UEFA is also keen that European teams will still have the chance to play opponents from other confederations.

I'm all for it if it means the end of friendly internationals which are the biggest waste of time on the football calendar.

Frazerbob
11-10-2017, 04:02 PM
For once, I think this is a great new idea from UEFA. Some cracking potential trips and all but ends the need for boring friendlies. If Scotland don't qualify for 2020, where we host three games, we really should just pack it all in!

Firestarter
11-10-2017, 04:06 PM
Anyone got odds on Barry Bannan making the Scotland hall of fame at this rate? :greengrin

hibsbollah
11-10-2017, 04:07 PM
One element of the new nations league format is all the teams at the bottom of the pyramid (your standard Andorra, Liechtenstein, Faroes etc) play a league format and the winner qualifies for a European championship spot. The intention is to give one of the minnows a decent shot at qualifying. But according to the podcast I was listening to this is open to abuse; if a mid ranked nation (group c) realises its losing its games in its tier and has no chance of promotion , it could potentially tank its games to gain access to the bottom tier (group d) and a fairly easy passage to a major tournament.

One option for Scotland anyway:rolleyes:

SetonClapper
11-10-2017, 04:16 PM
Although I can't see it, I think it has to be slightly different to that. Given that a team from pot D is guaranteed to make Euro 2020, they can only achieve that if one of the play-off paths is composed entirely of pot D teams, meaning 4 teams from pots A, B and C will play-off for the remaining 3 places.

LaMotta
11-10-2017, 04:20 PM
One element of the new nations league format is all the teams at the bottom of the pyramid (your standard Andorra, Liechtenstein, Faroes etc) play a league format and the winner qualifies for a European championship spot. The intention is to give one of the minnows a decent shot at qualifying. But according to the podcast I was listening to this is open to abuse; if a mid ranked nation (group c) realises its losing its games in its tier and has no chance of promotion , it could potentially tank its games to gain access to the bottom tier (group d) and a fairly easy passage to a major tournament.

Good point, we should think long term and aim to finish bottom of the first Nations League with the ultimate aim of qualifying for Qatar 2022 via the Group D playoff route!

We can still try for Euros qualification via 2nd place in the qualifying group.

Wonder how nations league results affects seeding for the Euro and WC qualifying groups?

high bee
11-10-2017, 04:24 PM
Although I can't see it, I think it has to be slightly different to that. Given that a team from pot D is guaranteed to make Euro 2020, they can only achieve that if one of the play-off paths is composed entirely of pot D teams, meaning 4 teams from pots A, B and C will play-off for the remaining 3 places.

It guarantees one from each of A-D. The nations cup standings won’t come into play until after the Euro Qualification is complete. If any of the top Nations Cup teams finish in the top 2 of the qualifiers then their playoff place will go down to the next team in that group from the Nations Cup. There is a playoff between the 4 highest teams in each of the leagues A-D so gives 1 team from each league a qualification spot.

SetonClapper
11-10-2017, 04:26 PM
I see. I had interpreted that differently, but what you say makes more sense. Thanks.

LaMotta
11-10-2017, 04:30 PM

16 teams in total get into the playoffs this time

4 from Pot D compete with each other for one spot- 2 Semis and a final, winner of which qualifies.

Same for Pot C, B and A.

But it is likely that all of Pot A and most/some of Pot B will qualify anyway, so their playoff spots will filter down to the lower ranked teams.

Lancs Harp
11-10-2017, 04:31 PM
For once, I think this is a great new idea from UEFA. Some cracking potential trips and all but ends the need for boring friendlies. If Scotland don't qualify for 2020, where we host three games, we really should just pack it all in!

I think Hampden is hosting 4 games.

Michael
11-10-2017, 04:39 PM
Honestly, it's not that complicated! I like it - gets rid of some of the pointless friendlies.

Albanian Hibs
11-10-2017, 04:40 PM
Scotland v Albania please 😎

Jack Hackett
11-10-2017, 04:42 PM

Glad I'm not alone :greengrin

Bishop Hibee
11-10-2017, 05:05 PM
Anyone got odds on Barry Bannan making the Scotland hall of fame at this rate? :greengrin

Hall of Infamy. There's a few others would get in no bother.

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating. I can't see there being very big crowds for these games. This may impact on whether the SFA continues with Hampden or not.

Firestarter
11-10-2017, 05:25 PM
So we can get relegated from the league we are in and beat all the diddies to make euro 2024 easily? Sounds a plan.

Hibs1972
11-10-2017, 05:26 PM
Agreed! I'm away for a lie down!:rolleyes:

Sir David Gray
11-10-2017, 05:48 PM
Sounds like a new, inventive way for Scotland to miss out on qualifying for yet another major tournament.

Can't wait.

HibbySpurs
11-10-2017, 06:22 PM
Confusing....

Saddest thing is Iceland yes Iceland 🇮🇸 as in that little lump of rock in the North Atlantic are in League A and we are in league C...

Well done to them but that is just frankly embarrassing for Scotland and just highlights how bad our game has become.

Sad days.

superfurryhibby
11-10-2017, 07:22 PM
Confusing....

Saddest thing is Iceland yes Iceland 🇮🇸 as in that little lump of rock in the North Atlantic are in League A and we are in league C...

Well done to them but that is just frankly embarrassing for Scotland and just highlights how bad our game has become.

Sad days.

Yes, just to provide some context, so are Norway, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Greece and Hungary.

Only time will tell if Iceland's success is an aberration or sustained miracle transformation of theirfortunes. I suspect the former.

Hibbyradge
11-10-2017, 08:24 PM

Can you imagine if there were more than one team in the league with that plan?

They'd be firing the ball into their own net!

Then, they'd have to change their defeatist tactics in order to qualify for the next tournament properly.

Lose all the Nations League games and win all the Euro qualifiers?

Or do they just accept 2020 is out from the start?

hibsbollah
11-10-2017, 08:50 PM
Can you imagine if there were more than one team in the league with that plan?

They'd be firing the ball into their own net!

Then, they'd have to change their defeatist tactics in order to qualify for the next tournament properly.

Lose all the Nations League games and win all the Euro qualifiers?

Or do they just accept 2020 is out from the start?

No idea. Either way, bring it on, get Cathro appointed and let the fun commence :aok:

Hibbyradge
11-10-2017, 08:52 PM
No idea. Either way, bring it on, get Cathro appointed and let the fun commence :aok:

😂 Fair point.