PDA

View Full Version : Britain's Greatest Invention

lyonhibs
15-06-2017, 07:35 PM
On BBC just now. All hugely important inventions, but for me it's the steam combustion engine, and thus the mass railway system, by a distance.

Mon Dieu4
15-06-2017, 07:53 PM
Antibiotics, will have saved more lives than anything else in history

Edit turns out I was talking nonsense they are no 24 in the list of human saving inventions haha

snooky
15-06-2017, 07:55 PM
Television must be right up there given the world wide visual info network it sparked off.

hibsbollah
15-06-2017, 07:58 PM
I'll go with antibiotics as well. Not sure I'll go along with all this national superiority chat though. The German's and the Chinese are no slouches at inventing stuff.

CropleyWasGod
15-06-2017, 08:00 PM
The telephone.

Without it, there wouldn't be a Hibs.net.

Aye okay, I take it back.......:rolleyes:

wpj
15-06-2017, 08:03 PM
A 1700 press conference at ER with faces

(Sorry DBS a gentle ribbing in jest rather than the foaming at the mouth hang him brigade elsewhwre 😊)

Mon Dieu4
15-06-2017, 08:04 PM
I'll go with antibiotics as well. Not sure I'll go along with all this national superiority chat though. The German's and the Chinese are no slouches at inventing stuff.

To quote my main man Kenny Powers "Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that Scotland is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism." :na na:

hibsbollah
15-06-2017, 08:07 PM
To quote my main man Kenny Powers "Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that Scotland is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism." :na na:

I'm sure it was Kenny Rogers who said that.
The best invention is the wheelbarrow (China) and the wheel (Slovenia).

hibsbollah
15-06-2017, 08:09 PM
A 1700 press conference at ER with faeces
)

:confused:

Mon Dieu4
15-06-2017, 08:10 PM
I'm sure it was Kenny Rogers who said that.
The best invention is the wheelbarrow (China) and the wheel (Slovenia).

I got asked the question at work once, in a very serious meeting with chief executives etc, they were trying to team build or something, not sure they liked my answer of "pockets, they are good for putting stuff in, I'd be lost without them" :dunno:

Billy Whizz
15-06-2017, 08:15 PM
Are cats eyes used throughout the world?

snooky
15-06-2017, 08:16 PM

The Germans invented measles and the Chinese invented water torture. They're not all good you know :na na:
... and whatsmore, all that time we were inventing uisge beatha. :drunk:

hibsbollah
15-06-2017, 08:27 PM
The Germans invented measles and the Chinese invented water torture. They're not all good you know :na na:
... and whatsmore, all that time we were inventing uisge beatha. :drunk:

We invented midges. I rest my case.

hibsbollah
15-06-2017, 08:27 PM
I got asked the question at work once, in a very serious meeting with chief executives etc, they were trying to team build or something, not sure they liked my answer of "pockets, they are good for putting stuff in, I'd be lost without them" :dunno:

:faf:
Are you CEO now?

snooky
15-06-2017, 08:34 PM
We invented midges. I rest my case.

Aye, aw right. You win. :ill:

:greengrin

TRC
15-06-2017, 11:21 PM
Are cats eyes used throughout the world?

Nope, Sweden doesn't use them. I was wondering about this today and i think it may have something to do with the snow and the large snowploughs that they use??

snooky
15-06-2017, 11:24 PM
Nope, Sweden doesn't use them. I was wondering about this today and i think it may have something to do with the snow and the large snowploughs that they use??
:agree: Not used in Canada either. The snow ploughs would tear them to bits for sure.

Mantis Toboggan
16-06-2017, 12:22 AM

They need to release that as an actual audiobook.
Not sure if greatest but TV must be most culturally influential in 20th century

jodjam
16-06-2017, 08:06 AM
In my job I talk a lot about great Scottish inventions. Loads to choose from however a recent survey in the US showed that many believed the greatest Scotsman ever to be Groundskeeper Willie from The Simpsons. Maybe we need to shout more about what we did to shape the modern world.