PDA

View Full Version : Yogi Interview (some Hibs related)

RossScott1991
13-06-2017, 09:10 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/john-hughes-lifts-lid-time-10611904

Some stuff about Hibs in there, players sold behind his back etc.

Diclonius
13-06-2017, 09:24 AM
John Hughes lifts the lid on his time in the dugout and insists he's still got plenty to give as a boss

The former Falkirk, Hibs and Inverness boss bares his soul in a candid interview and reveals some of his biggest managerial ups and downs.

John Hughes has lifted the lid on his life and times in Scottish football management.

In a candid interview, Yogi has bared his soul on some of his managerial ups and downs.

The former Falkirk, Hibs and Inverness boss claimed:

●Hibs chairman Rod Petrie made him sack goalkeeping coach and friend Gordon Marshall when he walked in the door then sold hitman Steven Fletcher to Burnley behind his back.

● Falkirk fans’ letter to the board of directors led to his downfall as Bairns boss.

● He felt totally responsible for Raith Rovers’ relegation to the third tier of Scottish football.

● He will never reveal the details of why he quit Inverness just 12 months after they had won the Scottish Cup.

Hughes insists he was undermined by Petrie during his year-long stint at Easter Road as manager between 2009 and 2010 – but says he bears Petrie no ill will.

Hughes said: “I loved managing Hibs but some things weren’t right straight from the off.

“I went on holiday to the USA and I got a phone call from Rod Petrie to sack the goalkeeping coach Gordon Marshall.

“Marsh was my mate. I thought ‘oh-oh, here we go’ as I was being undermined from the start.

“The first phone call I had to make as Hibs manager was to Marsh to apologise to him.

“The next phone call I got was from Owen Coyle who was the Burnley manager at the time and he told me that he had made a bid for Steven Fletcher. It was a bid in the region of £3million.

“I never heard from Rod until three or four days later.

“I only knew about the Fletcher sale because I had been given the heads up from Owen because he is my mate and I worked with him at Falkirk.

“Instantly I had lost Marsh who was a friend and confidante and then Fletcher who was a top player at the time he left to join Burnley.

“However, I still felt I could get things going at Hibs.

“We also sold Anthony Stokes to Celtic on the last day of the transfer window and that gave me no time to sign players.

“I remember thinking when Stokes went out the door, ‘come on, work with me here instead of working against me’.

“I don’t think the Hibs supporters know these things.

“We still finished fourth in the table that season.

“I got Hibs into Europe and it is now a long time since they managed that via their league position in the top flight.

“We played Maribor in Europe and they were too good for us if truth be told.

“Eight games into the new season I was sacked. I wasn’t seeing eye to eye with Rod and there was one or two other things that I will keep to myself.

“I just said fine as I didn’t want to be at a place where I was not wanted. Hibs decided they didn’t want me and it hurt me a little.

“I was bitter about it for a while but it has passed now.

“When I worked so hard to get there after captaining the club and giving my all, I just felt I could have been given a bit more time.

“We never signed the players I wanted to sign as Scott Arfield should have been a Hibs player.

“There was a total disconnect and I was being undermined as a manager.

“I never held it against Rod. I still speak to him as he just saw it the way he did at the time and that’s football.

“As for Falkirk, I was their most successful manager but towards the end of my spell it all went a wee bit sour.

“The club were slashing the budgets and it all came from the football side of the operation.

“Sports scientists, physios, masseurs and then players were all leaving.

“The last straw came when three Bairns supporters wrote a letter to the board of directors and demanded my resignation as we were fighting relegation.

“They felt I wasn’t motivating the players.

“The letter went public and it turns out that two of them were fans’ representatives on the board.

“I knew then that my time was up at Falkirk. I felt let down.

“There are still one or two people at the club who I don’t speak to.”

Hughes also revealed he will have to live with the fact that he dragged Raith into League One after they lost a play-off to Brechin at the end of last season.

Hughes said: “I went into Raith for 12 weeks. I enjoyed being back in football.

“I wanted to get Raith up the league but it was very difficult to try to stimulate things and play a style of football that has brought me success in the past.

“I never had a window to freshen things up or bring in new players.

“It was a wonderful experience but I will take full responsibility and the blame for getting the club relegated. That is something I will have to live with.

“I am not scared of failure as that makes you the person you are and I will learn from it.”

Meanwhile, the 52 year-old – who guided Inverness to their historic first-ever Scottish Cup triumph against Falkirk at Hampden in May 2015 – is adamant he will never spill the beans on why he left the club at the end of the 2015/16 campaign.

And despite being relegated with the men from Kirkcaldy, he insists his managerial CV is comparable with most bosses.

Hughes said: “I left Inverness for reasons I will keep to myself.

“What I did learn from my time in Inverness was that sentiment and friendships should never come into football management.

Hughes says he will never reveal what made him quit his job at Inverness (Photo: SNS Group)
“You have to make decisions in your area of expertise that you think are right for the club.

“My two years in Inverness came to an end because I wasn’t getting the truth about certain things.

“I loved my time in the Highlands though and I worked with some good people.

“When I left Falkirk they were relegated the next season.

“When I left Hibs they were relegated two seasons later.

“I have left Inverness and they have now been relegated the following season.

“People ask me why? I’ll tell you why.

“It is because as a manager I set exceptionally high standards.

“People will always throw the Raith Rovers relegation in there now but my managerial CV is up there with most of the guys in Scottish football.”

oneone73
13-06-2017, 09:31 AM
Pish and wind.

Bostonhibby
13-06-2017, 09:44 AM
So the record want to have another shot at us and up steps yogi. None of anything at Hibs was my fault seems to be the way it's leaning.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

IWasThere2016
13-06-2017, 10:02 AM
Can't be done with the man. Tiresome.

calumhibee1
13-06-2017, 10:12 AM
Boring. Absolving himself of any blame whatsoever. Nae bother Yogi.

Ozyhibby
13-06-2017, 10:23 AM
Mostly stuff we already knew. Petrie was terrible at running the football club although decent at making sure we did not lose money.
Although the financial cost of 3 years in the championship must be at least a couple of million, so even his money management not that good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SlickShoes
13-06-2017, 10:34 AM
I have left multiple jobs but none of it was ever my fault.

I don't dislike Yogi like some people but he comes across terribly in these interviews he does. No doubt there will be another one in a couple of years detailing why he left ICT even though he says now he will never tell anyone.

Hibs07p
13-06-2017, 10:46 AM
He seems to be abit of a jinx, all those clubs he has been involved with are either relegated when he's there,or a year or 2 after he leaves. I don't think he should have highlighted that regarding any future employment.

GGTTH

Andy74
13-06-2017, 10:51 AM
He seems to be abit of a jinx, all those clubs he has been involved with are either relegated when he's there,or a year or 2 after he leaves. I don't think he should have highlighted that regarding any future employment.

GGTTH

Not really. I think it shows he is doing a very decent job and clearly clubs suffer when he moves on.

Falkirk have never been back to where they were under him. Inverness he continued the good work there and they dropped when he left. Scottish Cup to relegation.

He has a point about player sales at Hibs and the fact that 4th place is a decent finish for us compared to anything over any sort of time period.

I'm not sure why so many seem to dislike him. He's a decent manager.

leithsansiro
13-06-2017, 10:55 AM
I kinda feel bad for Hughes. Probably a decent enough bloke but is probably more suited to a "job for the boys" kinda system where mates will just tout each other around. Has always performed fairly well at clubs but seems to struggle to sustain things. Not sure any club would particularly envisage him as a long term manager. Strikes me a bit like Sam Allardyce in England.

Smartie
13-06-2017, 11:02 AM
Not really. I think it shows he is doing a very decent job and clearly clubs suffer when he moves on.

Falkirk have never been back to where they were under him. Inverness he continued the good work there and they dropped when he left. Scottish Cup to relegation.

He has a point about player sales at Hibs and the fact that 4th place is a decent finish for us compared to anything over any sort of time period.

I tend to agree.

He has his flaws but who doesn't?

We've had a lot worse.

Wilson
13-06-2017, 11:12 AM
Brutal manager. Took the fight out of Raith and got them relegated. Has been lucky in some jobs but found out before long.

I don't care who he inflicts his services on so long as it isn't hibs.

Ozyhibby
13-06-2017, 11:22 AM
Brutal manager. Took the fight out of Raith and got them relegated. Has been lucky in some jobs but found out before long.

I don't care who he inflicts his services on so long as it isn't hibs.

I think the blame for Raith's demise lies squarely with Gary Locke. Yogi's mistake was getting involved at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackpoolhibs
13-06-2017, 11:32 AM
I love how when his teams are winning he's been lucky, but when things dont go well he's not unlucky? :rolleyes:

Peevemor
13-06-2017, 11:33 AM
The Fletcher thing is a non-story. Hughes never managed Fletcher and it would have been made clear at his interview that Fletcher was to be sold.

As for sacking Marshall, he wasn't Yogi's appointment so why was it his job to sack him? Was there maybe something tied to Yogi's appointment (coaching staff? 3 year deal for Rice?) that meant Marshall had to go, ie. OK you can have that but you'll have to bin Gordon Marshall?

.Sean.
13-06-2017, 11:49 AM
I have no real resentment against him but I'm sick of the sound of him. He's not bitter, could've fooled me.

Between the goalie school, signing guff like Gow, Duffy, de Graff, Trakys and umpteen others, the infamous Ross County cup debacle and benching Stokes and Riordan away to Maribor yet starting Nish there was some downright mindboggling episodes under him.

He had six decent months but the rest was garbage. Take some responsibility man.

lapsedhibee
13-06-2017, 11:50 AM
Hughes says he will never reveal what made him quit his job at Inverness.

“My two years in Inverness came to an end because I wasn’t getting the truth about certain things."

:hmmm:

stantonhibby
13-06-2017, 11:52 AM
I have no real resentment against him but I'm sick of the sound of him. He's not bitter, could've fooled me.

Between the goalie school, signing guff like Gow, Duffy, de Graff, Trakys and umpteen others, the infamous Ross County cup debacle and benching Stokes and Riordan away to Maribor yet starting Nish there was some downright mindboggling episodes under him.

He had six decent months but the rest was garbage. Take some responsibility man.

You forgot about the 6-6 shambles

CropleyWasGod
13-06-2017, 11:53 AM
Hughes says he will never reveal what made him quit his job at Inverness.

“My two years in Inverness came to an end because I wasn’t getting the truth about certain things."

:hmmm:

People have been lying for centuries about Nessie. What's new?

KWJ
13-06-2017, 12:07 PM

I agree to an extent and I think it was pretty much only myself and BH that were defending him towards the end of his reign. That said i think he left us with a pretty dross team which couldn't have been all down to Petrie. He left ICT and Falkirk looking poor so perhaps it was a case of him being on the slide at all these clubs.

The Daily Record are still trying to sensationalise it while Yogi may have been far more low key with softer intentions than his words suggest so i won't read into it too much but Yogi's stock has certainly plummeted since his SC Win.

Bostonhibby
13-06-2017, 02:52 PM
I've always liked him and defended his record at Hibs but not happy he's got sucked into a bit of Hibs bashing by the record, albeit they've probably changed his words to suit their agenda.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

SirDavidsNapper
13-06-2017, 03:50 PM
Maybe he should ask himself why these clubs were relegated shortly after he left.

lapsedhibee
13-06-2017, 03:55 PM
Maybe he should ask himself why these clubs were relegated shortly after he left.

Yep, good manager at any club for a year or two then loses it. Him and Moronho, two completely similar things in a pod.

JJP
13-06-2017, 04:03 PM

Not sure you can include us in that.

Thecat23
13-06-2017, 04:20 PM
Going to be honest it's becoming a cringe fest when he opens his mouth these days. Keep these things out the press because saying **** like this won't impress chairmen of other clubs which will then make it difficult to find work in football.

He had ups and some down sides at the club. Leave it at that imo and move on.

Thecat23
13-06-2017, 04:22 PM

Nail on the head right here.

jacomo
13-06-2017, 06:49 PM
The Fletcher thing is a non-story. Hughes never managed Fletcher and it would have been made clear at his interview that Fletcher was to be sold.

As for sacking Marshall, he wasn't Yogi's appointment so why was it his job to sack him? Was there maybe something tied to Yogi's appointment (coaching staff? 3 year deal for Rice?) that meant Marshall had to go, ie. OK you can have that but you'll have to bin Gordon Marshall?

He's also got other bits of the story mixed up here.

I've nothing against him but he's taking a few liberties in this interview.

Betty Boop
13-06-2017, 06:54 PM
I love how when his teams are winning he's been lucky, but when things dont go well he's not unlucky? :rolleyes:

This :agree:

Cod Boy
13-06-2017, 07:44 PM
Never seems to be his fault.

blackpoolhibs
13-06-2017, 07:56 PM
Never seems to be his fault.

Or down to him when his teams are winning European spots or winning cups.

Billy Whizz
13-06-2017, 08:01 PM
I like Yogi, gets a bad press on here unfortunately

Pretty Boy
13-06-2017, 08:03 PM
At both Hibs and Falkirk Hughes started well and then things went downhill. I think he has a set way he wants to play and is unable or unwilling to change it when things start to go wrong.

I'm also not sure how much respect he'd command from a dressing room. He strikes me as being the type who's quite intimidating because of his size and character but probably has the players impersonating him and taking the piss as soon as he leaves the room.

I don't think he's a bad guy and he's had very good spells in his career but he's also had some very poor spells as well that can't be glossed over. He'd totally lost the plot by the time he left Hibs and his behaviour in Perth just before he was mutually consented was embarrassing for all concerned.

JimBHibees
13-06-2017, 08:06 PM
Done a decent job at a few clubs and was very unlucky Falkirk didn't win the cup when they totally outplayed Rangers in the final. Didn't end well at Hibs but started well and we haven't been near a European place via a league place since. In saying all that wouldn't have thought these sort of interviews put him in a very good light to prospective employers.

sambajustice
14-06-2017, 07:36 AM
Finally!

Non fitba' fowk now ken whits gaun oan!

Heisenberg
14-06-2017, 07:51 AM
Looks like he's a bit too keen to try and make sure everyone knows it wasn't his fault when it went wrong at all these clubs. Stating that everyone he's managed has then gone on to get relegated after he left is a bizarre boast.

Hibbyradge
14-06-2017, 08:29 AM
I lost a lot of respect for Hughes when on one particular occasion after Ma-Kalamby had a particularly poor game, on the way back to the tunnel, Hughes skelped him, hard, across the back of the head in front of everyone in the stands.

If he needed to do anything at that time, it was to console the boy, not humiliate him and point the finger at him in public, whilst absolving himself of any blame.

His "I'm a rough diamond, me, a'body's pal" routine became tired very quickly.

matty_f
14-06-2017, 09:04 AM
I lost a lot of respect for Hughes when on one particular occasion after Ma-Kalamby had a particularly poor game, on the way back to the tunnel, Hughes skelped him, hard, across the back of the head in front of everyone in the stands.

If he needed to do anything at that time, it was to console the boy, not humiliate him and point the finger at him in public, whilst absolving himself of any blame.

His "I'm a rough diamond, me, a'body's pal" routine became tired very quickly.

He hung Makalambay out to dry on a number of occassions, IIRC.

Hibbyradge
14-06-2017, 09:18 AM
He hung Makalambay out to dry on a number of occassions, IIRC.

No wonder he was a nervous wreck. It's bad enough having the opposition fans on your back, and you might be able to switch off from the boo boys in the home stands, but when you're scared of what the manager might say or do then you've no chance.