PDA

View Full Version : Darren McGregor

Sean1875
05-05-2017, 02:08 PM
My mate just spoke to him up at ER just now and he mentioned he's up there to sign his new contract - I know it was almost inevitable but massive boost guaranteeing him for next season.

If David Gray was to leave, could we see McGregor as captain next year?

Hermit Crab
05-05-2017, 02:09 PM
My mate just spoke to him up at ER just now and he mentioned he's up there to sign his new contract - I know it was almost inevitable but massive boost guaranteeing him for next season.

If David Gray was to leave, could we see McGregor as captain next year?

He should be captain anyway imo.

thorbs
05-05-2017, 02:17 PM
great news!

Baldy Foghorn
05-05-2017, 02:19 PM
He should be captain anyway imo.

Agree:flag:

1van Sprou7e
05-05-2017, 02:22 PM
Bit harsh on David Gray to say that, he's performed his duty as captain absolutely fantastically

Broken Gnome
05-05-2017, 02:29 PM
For the first time in years Hibs have three or four ready-made captains. McGregor basically is one - doesn't necessarily need to be officially cast as leader, and can't imagine ever stripping Gray of the role.

Scottie
05-05-2017, 02:45 PM
Bit harsh on David Gray to say that, he's performed his duty as captain absolutely fantastically
:agree: True gentleman and warrior.

JDHibs
05-05-2017, 02:47 PM
McGregor has been a rock since he signed!

First name on the teamsheet every week. going to be a great servant for our club and hopefully its a 5 year deal!

1van Sprou7e
05-05-2017, 02:54 PM
McGregor has been a rock since he signed!

First name on the teamsheet every week. going to be a great servant for our club and hopefully its a 5 year deal!

5 year deal for a player who'll be 32 at the start of next season?

I'm glad you're not the manager! :greengrin

JDHibs
05-05-2017, 03:06 PM
5 year deal for a player who'll be 32 at the start of next season?

I'm glad you're not the manager! :greengrin

Aaron Hughes just signed for Hearts again for 1 year at 37.
Clint Hill has been The Huns best defender this season at 38.
Kenny Miller is The Huns top scorer at 37.
Carvalho played for Portugal at the Euros at 38.
Puyol last played for Barca aged 36.
Ibra at Utd has been brilliant this season and one of the top scorers in the prem, hes 35.
Macauley at West Brom has been their best defender at 37 and still involved in the national team.

Other players in the prem who are 35 - Delaney 35. Barry 35. O'shea 35. Crouch 35. Terry 35.

Age is just a number. Class is permanent. Let the man retire here!

1van Sprou7e
05-05-2017, 03:08 PM
Aaron Hughes just signed for Hearts again for 1 year at 37.
Clint Hill has been The Huns best defender this season at 38.
Kenny Miller is The Huns top scorer at 37.
Carvalho played for Portugal at the Euros at 38.
Puyol last played for Barca aged 36.
Ibra at Utd has been brilliant this season and one of the top scorers in the prem, hes 35.
Macauley at West Brom has been their best defender at 37 and still involved in the national team.

Other players in the prem who are 35 - Delaney 35. Barry 35. O'shea 35. Crouch 35. Terry 35.

Age is just a number. Class is permanent. Let the man retire here!

How many of them are on 5 year deals?

More than happy to let him retire here but giving him 5 years right now is just throwing away money

JDHibs
05-05-2017, 03:09 PM
How many of them are on 5 year deals?

More than happy to let him retire here but giving him 5 years right now is just throwing away money

None, but none are 32 either...

Unseen work
05-05-2017, 03:09 PM
Mgregor is a legend.

Come across as a very intelligent and humble man.

Can see him becoming a manager in the future.

Absolutley love that we have him at Hibs and he loves being here just as much.

My love and respect for him went up massively in the cup final DVD.

He is the sort of guy you know that if the game turned into a fight he would be the first on ready.

Golden Bear
05-05-2017, 03:11 PM

I agree. The guy has led by example, he's had very few bad games in a Hibs shirt. I also suspect that on a number of occasions he may have played through the pain barrier for the sake of the Club and his teammates.

1van Sprou7e
05-05-2017, 03:14 PM
None, but none are 32 either...

And none of them signed a 5 year deal when they were 32 or 31 either, can't believe we're even having this discussion to be honest

HibsNutter
05-05-2017, 03:24 PM
And none of them signed a 5 year deal when they were 32 or 31 either, can't believe we're even having this discussion to be honest

McGregor is a late bloomer, he's not been playing professional football that long relatively, he'll be able to play at a high level for a good few years yet. Although, I still wouldn't be handing out a five year deal, nor will the manager. More likely to be a two year deal.

1van Sprou7e
05-05-2017, 03:29 PM
McGregor is a late bloomer, he's not been playing professional football that long relatively, he'll be able to play at a high level for a good few years yet. Although, I still wouldn't be handing out a five year deal, nor will the manager. More likely to be a two year deal.

Spot on

GreenNWhiteArmy
05-05-2017, 03:59 PM
Mgregor is a legend.

He is the sort of guy you know that if the game turned into a fight he would be the first on ready.

I'm the same. Developed a serious man crush on him after watching the DVD. Comes across as a very humble guy and, at the end of the day is a hibs fans the same as all of us.

Would expect the contract renewal to be one of the easiest negotiations the club will have this summer

Since90+2
05-05-2017, 04:15 PM
It will be a two year deal.

Viva_Palmeiras
05-05-2017, 04:17 PM
Mgregor is a legend.

It's almost like holding up a mirror to your imaginary Hibs player self at full time - when he gets hugged he's bursting with emotion. What a guy.

05-05-2017, 04:19 PM

For the first time in years Hibs have three or four ready-made captains. McGregor basically is one - doesn't necessarily need to be officially cast as leader, and can't imagine ever stripping Gray of the role.

Totally agree with these. DG would run through a brick wall for the team, as would Daz and Hanlon who would both make brilliant captains, but there's no need to upset the applecart.

Danderhall Hibs
05-05-2017, 04:44 PM
Totally agree with these. DG would run through a brick wall for the team, as would Daz and Hanlon who would both make brilliant captains, but there's no need to upset the applecart.

:agree: Gray has been an excellent captain. Never goes missing in the big games, in fact he's usually the boy that goes flying in and setting the example.

That's to take nothing away from McGregor though. I'm delighted we've got more than 1 leader after years of not having any.

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-05-2017, 05:06 PM
Nothing wrong with a deal that goes over to being a coaching role? No better player to learn from or template to copy.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
05-05-2017, 06:01 PM
:agree: Gray has been an excellent captain. Never goes missing in the big games, in fact he's usually the boy that goes flying in and setting the example.

That's to take nothing away from McGregor though. I'm delighted we've got more than 1 leader after years of not having any.

:agree:

ancient hibee
05-05-2017, 06:08 PM
I believe there's a 32 year old striker in Madrid I wouldn't mind picking up on a 5 year deal.

superfurryhibby
05-05-2017, 06:11 PM
I believe there's a 32 year old striker in Madrid I wouldn't mind picking up on a 5 year deal.

The difference is that he is one of the best players to have ever played the game, Darren is a decent, no frills SPL standard defender.

No chance that Darren will get such a long deal, ridiculous suggestion. I expect a two year deal to be the end offer.

ancient hibee
05-05-2017, 06:16 PM
Neither do I expect him to get a 5 year deal.Nobody in Scotland would I shouldn't think.Thank you for telling me Ronaldo is such a great player.I was merely making the point that sweeping statements about age don't apply to everyone. :greengrin

R'Albin
05-05-2017, 06:22 PM
The difference is that he is one of the best players to have ever played the game, Darren is a decent, no frills SPL standard defender.

No chance that Darren will get such a long deal, ridiculous suggestion. I expect a two year deal to be the end offer.

Exactly this, it was a silly point. Of course there's plenty of 32 year olds Hibs would sign on five year deals in the world, but none of them would ever be within our reach. Even Ronaldo might not get offered a five year deal at Real.

It'll be two years for McGregor I imagine. Good point from the poster above about him starting his career late - it might mean we get an extra few years from him.