PDA

View Full Version : David Gray

alihibs1
02-05-2017, 07:00 AM
Rumours that he's looking elsewhere (still leaving hibs as a possibility). Years that the possible destination would be hearts. (Probaly rubbish). All heard off twitter.

The question is would Gray sustain his loved and legendary status if he moved across to the BPBS

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Heisenberg
02-05-2017, 07:03 AM
Kenny Millar was tweeting about this last night. He said the Hearts rumour is nonesense, they don't want him and he wouldn't sign for them. He did also say his agents been offering him around, hinting that Hibs have told him he won't be an automatic first pick next season.

Would be gutted if he left.

J-C
02-05-2017, 07:09 AM
Let's be honest here, his goal at Hampden gave him his legend status but this season apart from the odd game he's been pretty poor. Like scoops I don't think he's been offered the contract he wants and is now looking elsewhere, Lennon seems to be doing his job by getting in a replacement who has the calibre we need.

calumhibee1
02-05-2017, 07:16 AM
Would be gutted if he left and signed for Hearts, however it would not taint his legendary status in the slightest for me. Hope he stays though.

hibs0666
02-05-2017, 07:18 AM
David Gray, Hibernian captain and scorer of that goal, has earned the right to play for whoever he wants, even the thieves.

GreenArmyyy!
02-05-2017, 07:19 AM
I think I'd go through a long grieving process if he signed for them.

Craig_HFC
02-05-2017, 07:26 AM
He'd be pissing into his pension pot if he signed for Hearts. No chance that'll happen.

His agent will just be doing his job by seeing which other clubs are interested in him. I still think he'll be a Hibernian player next season.

JDHibs
02-05-2017, 07:32 AM
Gray will always be a legend.

But said a while back that if we were serious about competing for top 3 or 4 next season that we would need better in the wide areas. Both defensively and further up field.

Id guess quite a few players who have been offered contracts that are less than what they were on before, whether that be money wise or squad position wise. No footballer is happy being 2nd choice.

Iain G
02-05-2017, 08:07 AM

But said a while back that if we were serious about competing for top 3 or 4 next season that we would need better in the wide areas. Both defensively and further up field.

Id guess quite a few players who have been offered contracts that are less than what they were on before, whether that be money wise or squad position wise. No footballer is happy being 2nd choice.

Also is going to depend on how Lennon wants to play next season, if he wants his fullbacks pushing forward and offering good options from wide then he will be considering whether SDG and Lewis offer all that he needs them to?

Would expect the whole squad are under evaluation for the new season.

matty_f
02-05-2017, 08:09 AM
Literally can't bring myself to be objective about the guy. He's a legend, he can virtually do no wrong in my eyes.

IFONLY
02-05-2017, 08:13 AM
Rumours that he's looking elsewhere (still leaving hibs as a possibility). Years that the possible destination would be hearts. (Probaly rubbish). All heard off twitter.

The question is would Gray sustain his loved and legendary status if he moved across to the BPBS

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Is this why we are being linked with Steven Whittaker?

GreenCastle
02-05-2017, 08:13 AM
Legend.

He won't go to the yams.

Also he's done well this season. Maybe not as well as last but still consistent enough for me and been a great captain.

Hope he stays ! Players with leadership and who are respected are key for the dressing room.

SlickShoes
02-05-2017, 08:23 AM
I hope he stays but short of burning down my house or murdering someone there isn't much he could do that would change the way I think of him.

penihibs
02-05-2017, 08:30 AM
The man's a legend,his never say die attitude on that great day last year won us the the cup.
I for one hope we treat him well and keep him.
Definitely has plenty to offer on the playing side and a great ambassador for this born again club.
GGTTH

18Hibee75
02-05-2017, 08:39 AM
Love the guy too bits. He's a solid right back and better than a lot in the premiership. Whittaker would still do a great job for us I THINK, but it's a bit of a risk. Especially if it's at expense of SDG, think it's a little disrespectful for us to let go of our captain who scored our winning goal to end 114 years of hurt. If he goes I hope he gets a great send off.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

.Sean.
02-05-2017, 08:53 AM
Give him what he wants and get him signed. In this case it really is that simple. How many Scottish Cup winning captains we got at the club?

Smartie
02-05-2017, 09:23 AM
Right-back has often been a problem position over the years, so I wouldn't exactly be in a hurry to bomb out someone who has looked the part (and that is leaving the Scottish Cup final goal and performance to one side for a minute).

He'd get into most Premier League teams, if not all.

I don't think we should be playing silly beggars here.

Sir David Gray
02-05-2017, 09:24 AM
Literally can't bring myself to be objective about the guy. He's a legend, he can virtually do no wrong in my eyes.

Me neither. If David Gray asked me to do anything, I would do it without even questioning it.

I passed him the ball on Saturday for a throw in and I was buzzing for the rest of the game.

Jag7
02-05-2017, 09:24 AM
Sad if he leaves but, there is no room for sympathy if you want a top team !!

JDHibs
02-05-2017, 09:28 AM
If we are to challenge and Lennon doesnt see him as the way forward, then so be it. No room for sentiment. Wonder how long the sentiment would last if we didnt sign someone else and Gray made a few mistakes?

Need to be ruthless if we are to challenge top 4.

Onion
02-05-2017, 09:53 AM
Give him what he wants and get him signed. In this case it really is that simple. How many Scottish Cup winning captains we got at the club?

:agree:Stokes, Stubbs and LD aside, no individual has done more for Hibernian FC in the last 10 years than David Gray. For that one heroic, captain's performance in May 2016 and winning goal, SDG should be rewarded with a deal that reflects the impact his contribution has had on the club over the last 12 months. Yes, we might be able to find a RB who is marginally better that SDG for the same money, but that's really missing the point.

BlackSheep
02-05-2017, 10:12 AM
Let's be honest here, his goal at Hampden gave him his legend status but this season apart from the odd game he's been pretty poor. Like scoops I don't think he's been offered the contract he wants and is now looking elsewhere, Lennon seems to be doing his job by getting in a replacement who has the calibre we need.

This.

If Lennon manages to keep Ambrose that would also be a good possibility for RB cover.

yonder1875
02-05-2017, 10:51 AM
No chance he'll go to Hearts.

JDHibs
02-05-2017, 10:55 AM
No chance he'll go to Hearts.

Why?

He's a Hearts fan...

theonlywayisup
02-05-2017, 10:55 AM
As others have said, David Gray is a legend.

In twenty years time, wee boys/girls will be saying to their parents "who's that balding guy". You can just imagine the response!

There is no way he'll ever contemplate playing for Hertz - his short term gain may put years of future gain at risk.

Salt N Sauzee
02-05-2017, 10:57 AM
A move to Hearts would be too big a downwards step for him. I'd be surprised if we offloaded him to be honest, he's good enough for this division and deserves a chance to prove that.

Nutmegged
02-05-2017, 10:58 AM
There was a good Hibs debate on Twitter last night with @AgentScotland who said he wouldn't be surprised if we replaced Gray (and Stevenson) if we were to make a European spot, many disagreed with him but doubt any of them seen enough of David Gray this season by the way they were waxing lyrical about him.

We need to remember where we are and have been for the last three years, people shouldn't underestimate the jump in quality from the Championship to the Premiership

mcohibs
02-05-2017, 10:58 AM
Yes, we might be able to find a RB who is marginally better that SDG for the same money, but that's really missing the point.

Is it really though? Surely the point of competitive football is to win matches and that means playing the best players in their relevant positions.

If we are able to find a better RB than David Gray for the same money then are we really in a position as a club to not take that option?

lucky
02-05-2017, 10:59 AM
He's a club legend and will be forever but he would be throwing it away if he signed for them. I've said before on here, and took stick for it, that's he's an average player and Hibs need better to progress

Big_Franck
02-05-2017, 11:01 AM
:agree:Stokes, Stubbs and LD aside, no individual has done more for Hibernian FC in the last 10 years than David Gray. For that one heroic, captain's performance in May 2016 and winning goal, SDG should be rewarded with a deal that reflects the impact his contribution has had on the club over the last 12 months. Yes, we might be able to find a RB who is marginally better that SDG for the same money, but that's really missing the point.

Is it, though? I'd still have Riordan up front if past contributions to our team are how we decide who plays.

I want the best team possible on the park and I don't really mind if that means heroes that are not performing missing out. Hopefully Gray stays but we need better in both full back positions if we are to improve in my opinion.

Nutmegged
02-05-2017, 11:06 AM

Sentiment only gets you so far, I want the best players we cN possibly attract at Hibs, it's the best way to ensure we'll have more days like the 21/5/16 in the future.

ancient hibee
02-05-2017, 11:08 AM
The defence has performed well this season but this may be to do with the reluctance of opponents to cross the halfway line.In the semi Aberdeen pressed giving us no time on the ball and for half an hour we were a shambles.Regardless of tactics individuals did not cope well.There will be a lot more games like that next season and Lennon will be giving it a lot of thought.

Smartie
02-05-2017, 11:11 AM
The defence has performed well this season but this may be to do with the reluctance of opponents to cross the halfway line.In the semi Aberdeen pressed giving us no time on the ball and for half an hour we were a shambles.Regardless of tactics individuals did not cope well.There will be a lot more games like that next season and Lennon will be giving it a lot of thought.

Once we adapted though we had the better of Scotland's second best team for an hour.

I thought on the day the fullbacks did well.

I suppose it depends on how Lennon wants to play, but I think our current fullbacks are superb defensively and they have both earned the right to start for us next season.

If they fall short, they can then be replaced.

Our problems lie in the final third and all of our attentions should be focused there.

Andy74
02-05-2017, 11:14 AM
Once we adapted though we had the better of Scotland's second best team for an hour.

I thought on the day the fullbacks did well.

I suppose it depends on how Lennon wants to play, but I think our current fullbacks are superb defensively and they have both earned the right to start for us next season.

If they fall short, they can then be replaced.

Our problems lie in the final third and all of our attentions should be focused there.

Final third includes delivery. Whittaker would certainly add to our attacking threat.

B.H.F.C
02-05-2017, 11:27 AM

Despite the Scottish Cup, we shouldn't be giving anybody what they want.

Forever a Hibs legend. But if we can get somebody in his position that is a better player then we should.

FWIW I'm not saying that we should let him go. I just don't think that being the Scottish Cup winning goalscorer and captain entitles him to what he wants and a contract for life.

Salt N Sauzee
02-05-2017, 11:29 AM

Forever a Hibs legend. But if we can get somebody in his position that is a better player then we should.

FWIW I'm not saying that we should let him go. I just don't think that being the Scottish Cup winning goalscorer and captain entitles him to what he wants and a contract for life.

Yes it does.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
02-05-2017, 11:36 AM
David Gray, Hibernian captain and scorer of that goal, has earned the right to play for whoever he wants, even the thieves.

:agree:

WeeRussell
02-05-2017, 11:39 AM
Hypothetically - if he were to sign for Hearts I would get over it fairly quickly.

I'll never get over what him and the team done last May.

Hibs legend and owes us nothing.

500miles
02-05-2017, 11:42 AM
David Gray is a winner. We'd be silly to undervalue that.

Hibi
02-05-2017, 11:58 AM
David Gray is a winner. We'd be silly to undervalue that.

Agree with that 100%. You could argue big Efe is a better standard than most of the players we have at the back. But I've never been more confident in a Hibs side when we have a back four of Stevenson, Gray,Hanlon and McGregor. All have a real strong tie to the club, all winners and made up one of the best defensive records in the country for long spells this season.

anon1875
02-05-2017, 12:00 PM
if gray wants to come over after signing for hearts and pump my mrs he can. ill even make him a cup of coffee after he's done.

OsloHibs
02-05-2017, 12:05 PM
Always be a legend. Wherever he goes. Love him.

Hibbyradge
02-05-2017, 12:08 PM
What would Alex Ferguson or Jose Mourinho do in these circumstances?

Give him another couple of years contract cos the fans like what he did a year ago?

Or improve the team?

:dunno:

Lago
02-05-2017, 12:19 PM
Maybe just a hint that Lennon is starting to put his mark on the Hibs team rather than just running with what was in effect mainly a Stubbs team. I fully expect a few more supprises coming up.

Hibi
02-05-2017, 12:28 PM
What would Alex Ferguson or Jose Mourinho do in these circumstances?

Give him another couple of years contract cos the fans like what he did a year ago?

Or improve the team?

:dunno:

How many goals did Gary Neville score? Sure there were numerous full backs who would be viewed as better attacking options than him.

I guess my point is that you could get someone who is better option going forward, doesn't necessarily improve the team though.

Dashing Bob S
02-05-2017, 12:34 PM

This is exactly how I feel. We can all be sentimental, Lennon can't.

Centre Hawf
02-05-2017, 12:39 PM
Theres not a realistic chance of us signing a better right back from the Scottish Premiership than SDG. He's probably in the top 4 or 5 of that division imo. Shay Logan and Lustig are better than him but theres no way we could get either of them. Tavernier is a bomb scare but decent on his day so it's probably a debate on who is 3rd and 4th. My point is he's easily good enough to help us compete at the level we want to be at.

I'm sure theres plenty of right backs we could get from down south or around the world that are better than SDG but I dont think I would be comfortable letting him go without one lined up, and theres no guarantee we would get one better still, or one that is in their last season or two (Whittaker).

Stick with what we know because what we know for once is a Scottish Cup winning captain who has put in some incredible performances in his 3 years with the club, admittedly some howlers are in there but he wouldn't be at Hibs if he could play every game perfectly. We should realistically be planning ahead with an academy player or a young signing to replace him in a few years. What I can vouch for is there is absolutely no logic in getting rid of a 28 year old captain in his prime for a 32 year old that has barely kicked a ball in anger this season.

Ilovehibs
02-05-2017, 12:41 PM
I think SDG still has plenty to offer us as a player in the spl. Really hope he stays with us.
The ultimate pro and gives his all every time he plays.

superfurryhibby
02-05-2017, 01:32 PM
Anyone who thinks Gray isn't good enough needs to consider who would replace him and remember the utter Tom Kite that was in his position in recent years.

Gray has his limitations but he is a good footballers and leads by example. I thought he drove the team on against the Sheep in the recent semi, totally whole hearted and determined. Aye there is better, but they're not likely to sign for Hibs. New contract please.

ekhibee
02-05-2017, 01:34 PM
Seems like a good time to roll out this clip again, I bet nobody gets bored of it either.

https://youtu.be/2OL0EMIaG9Y

Hibbyradge
02-05-2017, 01:36 PM
How many goals did Gary Neville score? Sure there were numerous full backs who would be viewed as better attacking options than him.

I guess my point is that you could get someone who is better option going forward, doesn't necessarily improve the team though.

That wasn't the point of my question.

Sentiment v success was.

Smartie
02-05-2017, 01:42 PM
Anyone who thinks Gray isn't good enough needs to consider who would replace him and remember the utter Tom Kite that was in his position in recent years.

Gray has his limitations but he is a good footballers and leads by example. I thought he drove the team on against the Sheep in the recent semi, totally whole hearted and determined. Aye there is better, but they're not likely to sign for Hibs. New contract please.

Absolutely.

Anyone sticking up for Gray isn't doing it out of sentiment. He'd a damn good player that we'd be doing very well to get better than.

I think that if anyone really thought we'd get better then we'd be supportive of the idea. But he's a superb defensive fullback who is also decent going forward.

He had one or two bad games last season. That's not enough to justify getting rid of David Gray.

snooky
02-05-2017, 01:56 PM

First competent and natural right back we've had since Willie Miller.
We've had some real zoomers playing at RB in the interim.

hibees 7062
02-05-2017, 02:09 PM
Why don't we keep Gray and play Whittaker left back ?

snooky
02-05-2017, 03:45 PM

For you, H7062 --> :tin hat:

:greengrin

ekhibee
02-05-2017, 04:09 PM
That's what I'd do but I have to agree with snooky here :tin hat:

SirDavidsNapper
02-05-2017, 04:27 PM
Despite Grays legendary status if Lennon feels he won't be first choice right back next season and wants to bring better in then I trust him. Personally I'd keep him but then I'm not a pro football manager.

Onion
02-05-2017, 04:30 PM
Sentiment only gets you so far, I want the best players we cN possibly attract at Hibs, it's the best way to ensure we'll have more days like the 21/5/16 in the future.

Nothing to do with sentiment, all to do with loyalty and recognition. I'm quite shocked that some are talking about David Gray as if he's just another replaceable, underperforming transient we've seen come through this club in the last 10 years. Got news for you, we will never have another day like 21 May 2016 irrespective of who we sign in the future. Nothing will come close to that. With David Grey as captain, we've reached 2 cup finals, 3 semi-finals, and won in Europe and gained promotion.

He's now a life-long member of the Hibernian Family, living Legend and future ambassador for the club, who will be as revered in years to come as the likes of Stanton. He's a constant reminder of the greatest day most of us will ever experience as Hibs fans and that alone makes his place in the team worthwhile.

hibees 7062
02-05-2017, 04:35 PM
That's what I'd do but I have to agree with snooky here :tin hat:

:greengrin

Malthibby
02-05-2017, 04:40 PM
Nothing to do with sentiment, all to do with loyalty and recognition. I'm quite shocked that some are talking about David Gray as if he's just another replaceable, underperforming transient we've seen come through this club in the last 10 years. Got news for you, we will never have another day like 21 May 2016 irrespective of who we sign in the future. Nothing will come close to that. With David Grey as captain, we've reached 2 cup finals, 3 semi-finals, and won in Europe and gained promotion.

He's now a life-long member of the Hibernian Family, living Legend and future ambassador for the club, who will be as revered in years to come as the likes of Stanton. He's a constant reminder of the greatest day most of us will ever experience as Hibs fans and that alone makes his place in the team worthwhile.

:flag::flag::flag:
Never forget; & stilll good enough.
GG

Deansy
02-05-2017, 04:46 PM
David Gray's intelligent and has a good moral character so I don't believe he'd be willing to risk his good-name by signing for a club that's second only to the Hun in terms of notoriety.

Fergos
02-05-2017, 04:55 PM
I love David Gray

GGTTH

B.H.F.C
02-05-2017, 04:57 PM

What he's done previously doesn't make his place in the team worthwhile. It's a about what he can do in the future. If we believe there is somebody that can do the job better than him then it's a no brainer for me. Given he's just spent 3 years in the second tier of Scottish football I don't think improving that position is unrealistic.

Funnily enough, I'm not actually arguing that we should replace him or get rid. I just don't believe that the past makes him automatically deserving of a contract or place in the team. Loyalty works both ways. Just as we'd replace him should a better option present itself, he could just as easily leave if he thought he had a better option. Don't need to look any further than the manager that won the Scottish Cup for that.

superfurryhibby
02-05-2017, 04:58 PM

I really like the first part of your post. This club has been riddled with the disease of transient, couldn't give a **** players over many years. Gray is the antithesis of that. He's a winner on the field, totally committed to the cause and is a very good defender. All the ***** about sentiment and the like. That has nowt to do with it.

There is much more what a player brings to the table. Gray is a stalwart, a very good defender and I think we would struggle to attract anyone better.

That all said, it's up to Lennon and perhaps there are complications around the value Gray places on himself compared to what the club are willing to pay, but mark my words dreamers and fantasists, losing Gray would be a bad move for Hibs.

Albanian Hibs
02-05-2017, 05:01 PM
Seems like a good time to roll out this clip again, I bet nobody gets bored of it either.

https://youtu.be/2OL0EMIaG9Y

Time to have a good wee greet again 😭

David Gray. Hibernian legend forever 💚

Hibbyradge
02-05-2017, 05:03 PM
What he's done previously doesn't make his place in the team worthwhile. It's a about what he can do in the future. If we believe there is somebody that can do the job better than him then it's a no brainer for me. Given he's just spent 3 years in the second tier of Scottish football I don't think improving that position is unrealistic.

Funnily enough, I'm not actually arguing that we should replace him or get rid. I just don't believe that the past makes him automatically deserving of a contract or place in the team. Loyalty works both ways. Just as we'd replace him should a better option present itself, he could just as easily leave if he thought he had a better option. Don't need to look any further than the manager that won the Scottish Cup for that.

Well said, that's exactly how I feel.

If NL thinks SDG is good enough for his SPFL plans, and he wants to stay, excellent.

If NL can bring in someone better, excellent.

Every player will leave at some point.

Golden Bear
02-05-2017, 05:04 PM
I really like the first part of your post. This club has been riddled with the disease of transient, couldn't give a **** players over many years. Gray is the antithesis of that. He's a winner on the field, totally committed to the cause and is a very good defender. All the ***** about sentiment and the like. That has nowt to do with it.

There is much more what a player brings to the table. Gray is a stalwart, a very good defender and I think we would struggle to attract anyone better.

That all said, it's up to Lennon and perhaps there are complications around the value Gray places on himself compared to what the club are willing to pay, but mark my words dreamers and fantasists, losing Gray would be a bad move for Hibs.

I'd agree with that. He's the original Pro's pro and is a shining example to his teammates.

Sir David Gray
02-05-2017, 05:43 PM
Here's a wee reminder of what David Gray means to this football club. He's deserving of a new contract and I'll be gutted if he's not with us next season.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1iS6orteb2Ml

Lago
02-05-2017, 06:15 PM
It's only a rumour & I'll bet there will be more & worse ones to come.

HoboHarry
02-05-2017, 06:19 PM
OK I will start - I'm hearing from a usually good source that we have approached Ian Black........

Am I doing this right?

JimboHibs
02-05-2017, 06:22 PM
OK I will start - I'm hearing from a usually good source that we have approached Ian Black........

Am I doing this right?

I can confirm it's true .....we're looking for a painter n he's available.

02-05-2017, 06:27 PM
Would be absolutely gutted if he left. His captains performance and of course winning goal at the death last May cements him in the legends category forever. No single hibs player has ever brought me such joy before.

bingo70
02-05-2017, 06:31 PM
David Gray is an outstanding full back and not many wingers will get the better of him so I've absolutely no desire to see him replaced.

With Whittakers versatility there's plenty room for the both of them. It's a long season and against the likes of Celtic I'd rather have Gray defending but against the likes of Hamilton I'd rather have Whittaker bombing forward. More than likely though injuries will dictate who plays where, especially if we can shift Whittaker into midfield on occasions.

J-C
02-05-2017, 06:32 PM

All very good sentiments and all that, so why then has he not signed his new contract offer from Hibs and his agent is prostituting him around the premiership to try and get a better deal.

HoboHarry
02-05-2017, 06:33 PM
Ooh ooh - this ones a belter - LD has offered Rudi Skacel a coaching position.........

:wink:

HoboHarry
02-05-2017, 06:35 PM
All very good sentiments and all that, so why then has he not signed his new contract offer from Hibs and his agent is prostituting him around the premiership to try and get a better deal.
If my agent wasn't trying to find me a better deal I'd kick his erse. Why else would a player have an agent?

Col_0762
02-05-2017, 06:36 PM
Whittaker has played 12 league games this season in a piss poor Norwich team. He played 8 league games last season, in a Norwich team relegated. At 32, is he really a better option than Gray? He obviously hasn't been playing regularly and defending was never his strong point. If we are interested, I would hope he was coming as competition to Gray, not be an automatic pick. Gray deserves his chance in the Premier League. He was our first signing when relegated and has been part of the journey back, plus the cup last season. I know sentitment shouldn't matter if we can bring better in, I'm not too sure SW would be that much of an improvemet to be honest.

J-C
02-05-2017, 06:39 PM
If my agent wasn't trying to find me a better deal I'd kick his erse. Why else would a player have an agent?

I get all that and I'd be the same, the poster was making Gray sound like a god that can do no wrong and deserves to be here come what may. As you said in another thread Gray has a contract offer and has yet to agree to it. I must admit not hearing about many out of contract players is very frustrating.

emerald green
02-05-2017, 06:47 PM
Never in a million years will David Gray :not worth be signing for HOMFC. Fake news!

oneone73
02-05-2017, 06:49 PM

Nothing like pejorative language to strengthen and argument, huh?

edwards
02-05-2017, 06:56 PM
I was hoping David Gray would stay and would be shattered if he left, always thought we made the right choice when we gave him the captains arm band great right back and wish him all the best.
I feel it is important to keep most of the squad and would like him to stay.

SMAXXA
02-05-2017, 07:02 PM
This could be a ruthless summer, like I said on the contracts thread if players want to shop about and take months to get a better deal then if they decide not to sign for us again I don't want them. I want players who are committed and worked so hard to get us back to the top league not to use it as leverage, if it's David or any other player need to say unfortunately time has expired since your initial offer in December we are moving on to other targets.

Probably won't be a popular view I realise that but Tuff hibs are bigger than any player, btw I also love David Gray and want him to stay but sentiments are one thing and managing a football club is another

Big L
02-05-2017, 07:04 PM

Because our current LB is the Players Player of the Season, and the players know what they are talking about.

makaveli1875
02-05-2017, 07:10 PM
Never in a million years will David Gray :not worth be signing for HOMFC. Fake news!

he was a hertz fan at school but most sc*mbos i know utterly despise him for scoring the goal last year . dont think he'd get a very warm welcome at the PBS

Onion
02-05-2017, 07:39 PM

Fact is, we've no idea about any of that !

SDG has been nothing but totally professional at Hibs and an example to every other player at the club in how to conduct yourself on and off the park. Can think of lots of other positions in the current team that need strengthening way ahead of right back position and dismayed that so many are relaxed about SDG leaving the club. Quite frankly, he deserves better than that :rolleyes:

blackpoolhibs
02-05-2017, 07:40 PM
Now i have no idea how good Whittaker is these days, but he has played a few games for a piss poor Norwich team, a piss poor team that SDG would be nowhere near playing for.

As a defender SDG is very good,just like Stevenson is on the other side. Perhaps NL wants to keep him and bring in SW, i dont know, or maybe he wants to set the team up a little more attacking with a full back who can attack a little better?

Whichever it is, NL will be making this decision and it could mean our goal scoring cup winning captain could leave.

If he leaves he's a legend, but we cant keep that team for ever, and we must evolve and improve.

houstonhibbee
02-05-2017, 07:50 PM
Now i have no idea how good Whittaker is these days, but he has played a few games for a piss poor Norwich team, a piss poor team that SDG would be nowhere near playing for.

As a defender SDG is very good,just like Stevenson is on the other side. Perhaps NL wants to keep him and bring in SW, i dont know, or maybe he wants to set the team up a little more attacking with a full back who can attack a little better?

Whichever it is, NL will be making this decision and it could mean our goal scoring cup winning captain could leave.

If he leaves he's a legend, but we cant keep that team for ever, and we must evolve and improve.

The way I read it is that all that are out of contract - apart from Holt - have been offered new contracts. These new contracts may be better or worse, longer or shorter, depending on each individual.

The players presumably have a period of time to either sign or not. In the meantime they are quite at liberty to shop around for a better deal if they so wish. It appears this is maybe exactly what SDG is doing through his agent.

Meanwhile NL has his shopping list and knows what areas of the team he wants to strengthen presumably leaving adequate time if anyone opts to leave and we then need a replacement.

Phil MaGlass
02-05-2017, 07:50 PM
Who the hell would we replace him with, really? Theres mot alot of captains like him out there, and if thre.is we cant afford them, unless NL has someone waiting in the wings

HoboHarry
02-05-2017, 07:52 PM
The way I read it is that all that are out of contract - apart from Holt - have been offered new contracts. These new contracts may be better or worse, longer or shorter, depending on each individual.

The players presumably have a period of time to either sign or not. In the meantime they are quite at liberty to shop around for a better deal if they so wish. It appears this is maybe exactly what SDG is doing through his agent.

Meanwhile NL has his shopping list and knows what areas of the team he wants to strengthen presumably leaving adequate time if anyone opts to leave and we then need a replacement.
Or as I stated earlier, it may be very possible that NL wants both Gray and Whittaker on board next season.

By the way - I move to the Conroe area on May 11th :thumbsup:

houstonhibbee
02-05-2017, 07:54 PM
Who the hell would we replace him with, really? Theres mot alot of captains like him out there, and if thre.is we cant afford them, unless NL has someone waiting in the wings

Presumably the contracts that have been offered may still have room for individual negotiation yet as well.

Wheat Hound
02-05-2017, 07:55 PM
Remember the Liam Miller to Hertz rumour? Soon became accepted fact and talk of booing him 😂

indiejak1413
02-05-2017, 07:59 PM

There's a few players ready to sign new contracts but are stalling because they will not be guaranteed 1st pick for the 1st team. NL will do things his own way. I reckon his hands were tied last year with to many players knowing they were 1st choice.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Kato
02-05-2017, 08:06 PM
he was a hertz fan at school but most sc*mbos i know utterly despise him for scoring the goal last year . dont think he'd get a very warm welcome at the PBS

They'd hate having to look at him playing for them.

Jim Brown left Hearts as captain and played one, very good, season for Hibs. Don't remember any animosity toward him but then again he had scored the winner in a SCF.

J-C
02-05-2017, 08:07 PM
There's a few players ready to sign new contracts but are stalling because they will not be guaranteed 1st pick for the 1st team. NL will do things his own way. I reckon his hands were tied last year with to many players knowing they were 1st choice.

Football nowadays is a squad game and having players guaranteed 1st team status is few and far, they need to realise the level of play needed to make themselves 1st choice. If Gray had someone waiting in the wings pushing for a spot, then he'd probably lose out some of this season due to his form, maybe Lennon just wants competition to keep everyone on their toes.

jacomo
02-05-2017, 08:32 PM

It's all about money isn't it?

Maybe they are not getting the offers they think they are worth.

mjhibby
02-05-2017, 08:43 PM
Seems a few players are waiting to see who blinks first. With Swanson signed and maybe Whittaker on the way then a few better watch out they end up not getting a contract. I know they are looking at getting the best deal possible and I've no qualms with that. There is a free who are regular starters just now who won't be come the start of next season. It's called progressing the team. If some guys end up leaving so be it. Neil Lennon is obviously well ahead in planning for next season and if I was the one of the guys stalling on the contracts I would think twice about waiting too long as they could well end up being replaced. A fine balancing act from both players and the club. Can't think of a better club to be at for all the out of contract players.

The Spaceman
02-05-2017, 08:46 PM
Would be gutted if David Grey left. He is a club legend for eternity and would love to see him spend the rest of his career with us. Are there better options out there? 100%. But that man is a leader and has done so much for this club in contributing to its rebirth. Even if he went to Hearts I would always welcome him back to ER (not that he will of course!).

ancient hibee
02-05-2017, 08:47 PM

Don't believe that.There's nobody at Hibs who will ever be guaranteed as first pick and it will certainly never be in a contract so can't possibly cause a delay.It's whether they think they can get more money elsewhere that will cause delay.

Kiddo
02-05-2017, 10:04 PM

100% it does and when he decides to retire give him the managers job

Galahibby
02-05-2017, 10:08 PM
I hope he stays but short of burning down my house or murdering someone there isn't much he could do that would change the way I think of him.

To be fair, even then it would depend on who he murdered, or if my dog was in the house when he burned it down :wink:

1van Sprou7e
02-05-2017, 10:14 PM
Don't believe that.There's nobody at Hibs who will ever be guaranteed as first pick and it will certainly never be in a contract so can't possibly cause a delay.It's whether they think they can get more money elsewhere that will cause delay.

Doesn't have to be in the contract for it to be a factor.

For many players they're main priority is simply being playing games at a decent level as often as possible

G B Young
02-05-2017, 10:41 PM
Whittaker has played 12 league games this season in a piss poor Norwich team. He played 8 league games last season, in a Norwich team relegated. At 32, is he really a better option than Gray? He obviously hasn't been playing regularly and defending was never his strong point. If we are interested, I would hope he was coming as competition to Gray, not be an automatic pick. Gray deserves his chance in the Premier League. He was our first signing when relegated and has been part of the journey back, plus the cup last season. I know sentitment shouldn't matter if we can bring better in, I'm not too sure SW would be that much of an improvemet to be honest.

I was actually surprised to read that David Gray is still only 28, so he's clearly got a lot still to give. In that respect I'm not sure Whittaker is a better option, much as I liked him as a player when he was with us.

I also wonder if Gray should be careful about leaving Hibs (if indeed he is actually thinking about it). If you look at his career path after failing to make the first team at Old Trafford it's fairly solid but far from outstanding, with a move to Preston followed by Stevenage and Burton Albion. Hibs has been the best move of his career and it's hard to imagine he'd get a better one from a football point of view. He could probably earn more in England but would be unlikely to find a bigger club than Hibs interested in him.

As we all agree, the guy is a club hero and it was great to see him score the goal which clinched our return to the top flight to add to his cup-winning achievement. A real captain's contribution. If he were to leave he would go with my undying thanks.

lucky
03-05-2017, 07:36 AM
For the players who have yet to sign I'd give them a deadline to sign up or withdraw the contract. No player is bigger than the club. I'm sure Lenny will have replacement players in mind for every position. I'd also doubt if any of the out of contract players will get a bigger club than Hibs. But it does he seem strange that no one has signed up for next season.

Fifehibby74
04-05-2017, 08:01 PM
Only my opinion but David Gray is a solid right back up there with the best in the premier league and also a club legend after that day last May.

Hopefully the club has made him a better offer than his previous contract. I'm sure they're not a million miles apart on the money side of things. Come on Hibs get the deal done he deserves it.

Ilovehibs
05-05-2017, 06:56 PM
Only my opinion but David Gray is a solid right back up there with the best in the premier league and also a club legend after that day last May.

Hopefully the club has made him a better offer than his previous contract. I'm sure they're not a million miles apart on the money side of things. Come on Hibs get the deal done he deserves it.

Hear hear sir.