PDA

View Full Version : The furthest you've ever travelled to watch Hibs?

Austinho
17-04-2017, 05:35 AM
Nearly a year on from the cup final, and I thought it was finally time I shared my story with you all.

This time last year, I was living in New Zealand, and hadn't seen my parents for nearly 2 years. I had managed to sleep through my alarm and therefore missed the entire League Cup Final v Ross County. I was more annoyed at myself than I was at Hibs for losing. So when the Dundee United semi rolled around, I vowed to myself I'd go home for the final v Rangers if we got there. I had visions of my dad showing up at Hampden and me being sat nonchalantly on the seat next to him ready to surprise him, so I decided to keep it a complete secret.

A few days before I was due to leave and I still didn't have a ticket. And what if we lost? It would probably be the final straw for me as a Hibs fan. Inconveniently, Hibs also changed the date of the public sale - for the exact time I was going to be in the air flying to Sydney. Miraculously, the plane I was on had wifi! Unheard of. I was still in the queue on the Hibs ticket website when the plane landed. I actually got in a lot of trouble as I refused to leave the plane until I had my ticket. The payment went through just as security arrived to boot me off. Do not mess with airline security - they take their job very seriously!!

That was only leg number 3 out of 8 as well. My full journey saw me start in a small town called Wanaka in the south of New Zealand.

From Wanaka, I had to hitchhike to Queenstown. Then I flew from Queenstown to Auckland, and then on to Sydney where I finally got my ticket for the match. From Sydney, I took a 15 hour flight to Abu Dhabi. Where I stayed for a few days it was nearly 50 degrees in order to avoid any jetlag. A couple of days later I flew 8 hours from the Middle East to Manchester. Then got the train to Preston, then onwards to Carlisle to my parents house the night before the match. Sadly I couldn't get a ticket next to my dad, so I showed up at their door to surprise them and at least that way we could enjoy the pre match build up together. They were gobsmacked, especially as my parents had been joking about me coming back for the game. Little did they know...

The final leg of my journey saw us drive up to Glasgow from Cumbria. I took my seat at Hampden by myself. It was kind of surreal being back in Scotland and straight into the intense atmosphere that was the cup final. I mean, the rest of the story writes itself, but the last icing on the cake was being able to get on the pitch thanks to the invasion, and finding my dad in the stands just in time to sing Sunshine on Leith together.

Magic.

It's only recently dawned on me that it's possible I travelled further than anyone, not just for a Hibs match, but for any football match ever played. Can anyone top that? And what's the furthest you've ever travelled to see the Hibees?

HibbyDave
17-04-2017, 07:22 AM
Furthest for me Dnipro. Most difficult trip was Maribor. Drove Dunfermline to Manchester, flew Manchester to Zurich, flew Zurich to Llublijana, hired a car and drove to Maribor all to see us get humped and absolutely soaked in the heaviest rainfall I've ever seen.

BigKev
17-04-2017, 07:30 AM
Furthest for me Dnipro. Most difficult trip was Maribor. Drove Dunfermline to Manchester, flew Manchester to Zurich, flew Zurich to Llublijana, hired a car and drove to Maribor all to see us get humped and absolutely soaked in the heaviest rainfall I've ever seen.

Dnipro for me as well. Maribor was a breeze for us 😂 Flew to Budapest, spent the night there then shared a taxi with 5 others for only €300 return! Think we done it for £150 or so each.

That rain though...

Frogga
17-04-2017, 07:30 AM
Great story from the OP. Don't think they can be beaten for distance!

My furthest is Bolton / Blackburn in 2009 or 2010. Not sure which is further...

tartanhibee
17-04-2017, 07:43 AM
I have been watching hibs for over 30 years and have never seen them play outside Scotland so Dingwall for me.

cam75
17-04-2017, 08:22 AM
Nz for me,flew family Back from queens town for 05/06 semi final,Wanaka is nice and chilled👍

Diclonius
17-04-2017, 08:24 AM
Ross County twice. Beaten both times.

Since90+2
17-04-2017, 08:26 AM
Malmo but via Krawkow then a flight to Gothenburg and then a train to Copenhagen. Worked out cheaper than a direct flight to Copenhagen.

southern hibby
17-04-2017, 08:27 AM
Flew back from Falkland Islands to Brize Norton then hire car to edinburgh for Hibs V Dunfermline mid week 0-0 draw, years ago Also flew back from Iraq, Bahrain and UAE for Hibs games. Now imagine what I would have done if we had a good team when I was spending all my hard earned cash on watching Hibs.

Also watched Hibs and numerous Scottish football games on foreign TV channels abroad.

GGTTH

Jamesie
17-04-2017, 08:29 AM
Furthest travel to see a game in Scotland was from Managua, Nicaragua. I booked the trip in January 2016 and to avoid any risk that I would miss the Cup Final if we got there, I arranged my flights so I would land in Edinburgh at 11:55 on the Saturday morning. Managua-Houston-Frankfurt-Edinburgh - miraculously everything ran like clockwork and I was picked up by my uncle outside Edinburgh Airport at 12:45 - by that time most of the prematch traffic had passed and we were at Hampden for shortly after 14:00! :flag: I do regret missing some of the build up to the Final by being away, but at least I got to see it!

frazeHFC
17-04-2017, 08:36 AM
Ross County twice. Beaten both times.

Ross County twice. Won both times. :greengrin

Never made a European trip (won't be making that mistake next time) and the only English friendly was Blackpool away.

.Sean.
17-04-2017, 08:43 AM
Brondby. Fingers crossed we'll be in Europe again this July

Pedantic_Hibee
17-04-2017, 08:52 AM
From Ayia Napa to a home game at Easter Road.

To be fair it was the scheduled end of a two week holiday in Cyprus and the Hibs game was four days later but I'm counting it!

bod
17-04-2017, 09:10 AM
done the Trinidad & Tobago games from edinburgh

Onceinawhile
17-04-2017, 09:18 AM
Came back from Antwerp for a derby in the 07/08 season.

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-04-2017, 09:19 AM
Dnipro for me too.

yonder1875
17-04-2017, 09:31 AM
Blackpool. Liam Miller scored a belter, good day out.

Vini1875
17-04-2017, 09:34 AM
From Bangkok to Glasgow and then Easter Road all the same day for a game v St. Mirren, took about 11 hours all in. Jet lag and a sense what the f*** kicked around about half time. 1-1 draw. The drive home to Glasgow after the game seemed the longest part of the journey.

007 Mickey Weir
17-04-2017, 09:36 AM
Dnipro was a great adventure. Especially the over night train leg from Kiev.

fat freddy
17-04-2017, 09:36 AM
Isle of Canna, not the furthest ive travelled for a match but it's worth the tell. The Aberdeen cup tie when Malonga romped from the halfway line to make it 2-0. I should never have made it but the footballing gods were watching over me. I left Edinburgh at 4.30 in the morning to catch the ferry from Mallaig to Canna to carry out some work for The National Trust who own the island. When I arrived at the ferry terminal at around 9am I was informed that the ferry was undergoing repairs and a replacement speedboat was my only means of transport,the journey would be faster but not quite as comfortable. That was an understatement, the seas were choppy, the waves frightening, there was no room inside the small covered area as it was full of families so I had to sit outside in a howling gale getting soaked as we hurtled across an endless sea for an hour and a half. We made stops at a few other islands to drop off vomiting children and finally made Canna well ahead of schedule. By this point the timetable for the ferry had been ripped up for the day and the captain of the Seafari speedboat said he'd wait in the harbour for 2 and a half hours then he was off back to the mainland. I now had to do my job in 2 hours or be stuck on the island for 2 days as there wasnt another ferry due the next day. I was then taken in a battered old range rover across a rocky beach to the adjoining isle of Sandae where I cut every corner known to man and was back in the speedboat for another vomit inducing journey across the high seas to Mallaig. By now I was cold, hungry and tired, it was around 4.30, I jumped in my van and pressed the 'break every rule of the Highways' button on my dashboard. As I hurtled through the highlands at 90mph a thought I'd had since early morning started to kick in. Maybe I could make it to Easter Road after all, it took over 4 hours to get to Mallaig but I was driving sensibly, could I get back down the road in 3 ?...not quite, I done it in 3 and a bit, got into the ground absolutely knackered around 8pm and watched us destroy Aberdeen with the cherry on the cake being Malonga's late solo effort.

SON OF PADDY
17-04-2017, 09:38 AM
Athens for the 1st game against AEK, unfortunately it was cancelled along with a all European matches as a mark of respect for victims of the Twin Towers disaster that happend the previous day.

We where only told the match was off !! When we landed in Athens,The plane that the Team and officials was on never took off from Edinburgh.

Jamesie
17-04-2017, 09:42 AM
Dnipro was a great adventure. Especially the over night train leg from Kiev.

It was a brilliant trip apart from the score! Flew into Kiev the Saturday before the game and did a loop of Odessa and the Crimea - Simferopol, Sevastopol, Yalta - before an overnight bus from Yalta to Dnipro! A fantastic experience

Steve-O
17-04-2017, 09:42 AM
Dnipro for me, unless we make this year's final :wink:

NASAHIBS
17-04-2017, 09:43 AM
Athens twice for me, the original game that was called off, and then travelled on flight with players for rearranged game.

Craig_in_Prague
17-04-2017, 09:46 AM
League cup final last year was not the longest as such but it sure felt like it.
Due to difficulties in flights and holidays from work I had to go:
Friday: Prague to Amsterdam, 4 hour wait, then on to Glasgow. Glasgow airport to bus station, then connecting bus eventually left for Edinburgh, was then picked up at Gyle and off to mothers late Friday night haven been up early that morning.
Saturday obviously back to Glasgow for the game.
Sunday: a return same like my Friday journey.
It was a helluva weekend effort to see us lose in last seconds :(

Said to my Dad and Brother on the Sunday though, I'll see them at Hampden in May, despite an away game to ICT in a few days.... we know how that turned out and the rest of SC :)

You do all you can to see your team and finally in May we had a day which went beyond our dreams!

18Hibee75
17-04-2017, 09:47 AM
Shrewsbury pre season, good day out that

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

jgl07
17-04-2017, 10:01 AM
The furthest I have travelled from Edinburgh is Ballyclare I did travel back for preseason matches.

I did travel back from Muscat, Oman for the Leaugue Cup Final but I was coming back anyway.

StevieC
17-04-2017, 10:04 AM
It was a brilliant trip apart from the score! Flew into Kiev the Saturday before the game and did a loop of Odessa and the Crimea - Simferopol, Sevastopol, Yalta - before an overnight bus from Yalta to Dnipro! A fantastic experience

I have done all of those since the game,although spread over a few years rather than a few days.

Sproule Three
17-04-2017, 10:10 AM
Sydney for last years final .
Hoping to do same again in a few weeks time .
My mate travelled from here for last 3 SC finals !
That's a good effort

pacorosssco
17-04-2017, 10:26 AM
Dnipro.

Hillsidehibby
17-04-2017, 10:31 AM
Sydney for last years final .
Hoping to do same again in a few weeks time .
My mate travelled from here for last 3 SC finals !
That's a good effort

Would your mate be Kenny by any chance?

Deeds
17-04-2017, 10:35 AM
bus to Liege and back...urgh, horrible

northstandhibby
17-04-2017, 10:43 AM
Brussels for me v Anderlect. The main square was a terrific place to hang out although there was at times a threat of trouble brewing as the locals tried to goad the CCS.

glory glory

HH81
17-04-2017, 10:55 AM
Every time I come up I travel from Halifax in West Yorkshire. Been a few times this season!

Seen them in Dundee so that is longest from my house I think?

I am planning to fly to Aberdeen away next season.

Sir David Gray
17-04-2017, 11:15 AM
Great story from the OP. Don't think they can be beaten for distance!

My furthest is Bolton / Blackburn in 2009 or 2010. Not sure which is further...

Same for me. That was a great double header, loved both visits.

poolman
17-04-2017, 11:15 AM
Was in Goa on holiday

End of holiday flew to Gatwick then to Tobago

Sproule Three
17-04-2017, 11:17 AM
Would your mate be Kenny by any chance?
That's not my mate but I know Kenny.
Think he's in Singapore now

CL0762
17-04-2017, 11:21 AM
Probably Latvia. Flight from Edinburgh to Amsterdam then Amsterdam to Riga. We were playing Dinaburg (think that was the name of the place as well) and spent 5 hours travelling there on a coach that had zero air conditioning and the driver didn't speak a word of English.

Kevin Thomas ran that trip, it was a great laugh as well given that I was only 13/14 at the time and had a lot of the 'mature' Hibees on it!

Carheenlea
17-04-2017, 11:34 AM
Left Galway very early one morning to make a lunchtime Derby a few years back. Before motorway between Galway and Dublin was completed so it was pretty much a 3 hour drive to Dublin airport, flight over then airport bus into Edinburgh city centre before walking down to Easter Road. Aberdeen fans have it easy next week as far as I'm concerned!

H18S NX
17-04-2017, 11:35 AM
Trinidad and Tobago for me

Keith_M
17-04-2017, 11:35 AM
Multiple journies from Vienna to mostly home games, but occasionally away.

Currently travel from Munich, which isn't quite so far.

Hillsidehibby
17-04-2017, 11:38 AM
That's not my mate but I know Kenny.
Think he's in Singapore now

Cheers. He's in Jakarta.

Frazerbob
17-04-2017, 11:41 AM
Great OP......I hope these stories are brought to the attention of the players. Dedication!

For me, like many others, Athens twice and Dnipro. Love a Euro away trip!

Stranraer
17-04-2017, 11:45 AM
Every time I go to Easter Road I travel 148 miles! Nothing compared to some on here but Kilmarnock and more recently Queen of the South against Hibs have been "home games" for me.

Jack Hackett
17-04-2017, 11:46 AM
Lisbon for Fairs Cup 1st leg... heady days :greengrin

Just arrived in Málaga. Looking forward to the semi in the sun.

Edit: Actually, it's Gibraltar. I've just realised it's further south :greengrin . Does it count if you're there already on holiday?

Bishop Hibee
17-04-2017, 11:59 AM
Brussels for the Anderlecht game. Used to travel up 4-5 times a season on average when I lived in Co Durham.

Sproule Three
17-04-2017, 12:04 PM
Cheers. He's in Jakarta.

Near enough 😂

Dibben
17-04-2017, 12:25 PM
Longest for me would be Anderlecht in 92.

Other than that, we used to live in Poole and travelled up Friday, 2002 SC final on the Saturday then home again on the Sunday!!!

ShinyFantastic
17-04-2017, 12:28 PM
Malmo in 2013. Class. Still gutted I couldn't afford Brondby last year.

Scouse Hibee
17-04-2017, 12:31 PM
From my Liverpool ST to my Hibs ST. A bigger and more gut wrenching journey than I ever thought ;-)

Dashing Bob S
17-04-2017, 01:50 PM
A million miles.

And on foot.

And that was just for one of their goals.

SteveHFC
17-04-2017, 01:50 PM
Dnipro for me as well. Maribor was a breeze for us 😂 Flew to Budapest, spent the night there then shared a taxi with 5 others for only €300 return! Think we done it for £150 or so each.

That rain though...

Dnipro for me too. For Maribor we flew from Manchester to Munich and traveled throughout the night to Maribor.

Hillsidehibby
17-04-2017, 01:51 PM
Copenhagen

Babyshamble
17-04-2017, 02:01 PM
Anderlecht. Brilliant trip 👍

hibs0666
17-04-2017, 02:07 PM
I know it's not far distance wise, but I felt like Dr Who every time I went to Cowdenbeath.

WoreTheGreen
17-04-2017, 03:14 PM
bus to Liege and back...urgh, horrible

Bus tiolet broken before Penicuik that was no fun journey

Keith_M
17-04-2017, 03:18 PM
From my Liverpool ST to my Hibs ST. A bigger and more gut wrenching journey than I ever thought ;-)

Poor man, you have my sympathies

:wink:

OxoHibby
17-04-2017, 03:44 PM
Dnipro.

I did travel TO New York to watch the Ross County lc final last year😀
This time flying back from Turkey then straight into the car for long drive from Oxford for the semi

one day maybe...
17-04-2017, 04:22 PM
Essen for me " oh Mikey, Mikey used to be a jambo but he's alright now" Police everywhere at night time in the Ibis Hotel :worried:

BullsCloseHibs
17-04-2017, 06:05 PM
Athens twice for me, the original game that was called off, and then travelled on flight with players for rearranged game.

Am I right in saying that the airline that took Hibs to Athens was Cougar Airlines?

NZ Green
17-04-2017, 07:53 PM
I live in Queenstown and flew over a week ago, got my ticket for the Raith game next week, first game in about 4 years (cup final against Celtic). I would be lying if I said I flew all the way from QT just to watch Hibs play Raith though :greengrin

Ringothedog
17-04-2017, 07:58 PM
Dnipro followed by Athens,Hungary,Germany and Belgium, plus a few "down sarf" and a couple "over the water". Although the longest journey has been the one taken to eventually see us lift the Scottish cup which took me over 50 years to get there.

SirDavidsNapper
17-04-2017, 08:01 PM
Bolton

Stantons Angel
17-04-2017, 09:20 PM
I think Trinidad and Tobago was my furthest trip to watch Hibs play.

Followed by Latvia, Lithuania, Dnipro, Belgium, Holland, France, Germany, Switzerland, just to name a few!

GreenLake
17-04-2017, 10:29 PM
Los Angeles.

Hermit Crab
17-04-2017, 11:10 PM
Probably Latvia. Flight from Edinburgh to Amsterdam then Amsterdam to Riga. We were playing Dinaburg (think that was the name of the place as well) and spent 5 hours travelling there on a coach that had zero air conditioning and the driver didn't speak a word of English.

Kevin Thomas ran that trip, it was a great laugh as well given that I was only 13/14 at the time and had a lot of the 'mature' Hibees on it!

Did you play football with us against the locals after the match?

Hermit Crab
17-04-2017, 11:14 PM
Ukraine followed by Latvia then Maribor, followed by the Scandinavian matches.

cheltenhamhibee
18-04-2017, 12:11 AM
Dnipro for me, flew out Teesisde to Kiev via Amsterdam, then overnight train down to Dnipro, fantastic trip, had an absolute belter of a trip, even managed to get on the news :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE8yEfn2rwI

Halifaxhibby
18-04-2017, 01:52 AM
Brussels for me v Anderlect. The main square was a terrific place to hang out although there was at times a threat of trouble brewing as the locals tried to goad the CCS.

glory glory

i was there...we stayed in ghent..bus trip all the way there...stopped in dover and rotterdam....arrived at the hotel and they insisted on taking our passports.....plenty fighting with moroccans, chelsea and rangers..great time but quite heavy duty.

CL0762
18-04-2017, 06:09 AM

I'd be lying if I said I could remember either way tbh.

Canon Hannan
18-04-2017, 06:40 AM
Dnipro and still sobering up! The overnight train from Kiev was fun.

hibeeleicester
18-04-2017, 06:57 AM
Living in Gib there's no direct flight to Scotland so usually means a flight to Manchester and the train up or over to Malaga and straight into Edinburgh. Will be making the same trip tomorrow. Must of done it about 10 times now for Hibs.

Alex Trager
18-04-2017, 07:10 AM
When I was 16 me and two pals went over to Maribor.

We flew Prestwick to Budapest, where we jumped on a train to Maribor. About ten hours later we got in.
The next day we watched us get hammered after a fabulous day in the square.
Going back we had to get to Ljubljiana where we flew to London and stayed another night. Then we got our flight to the road.

A brilliant trip that lives long in the memory

marinello59
18-04-2017, 07:22 AM
My furthest trip was from the Murrayfield Hotel to Tynecastle after a couple of hours of pre-match drinking. If you count the forward then backwards steps and factor in that I managed to get lost then my total will be hard to beat.

Green Diet
18-04-2017, 08:44 AM
I flew from Dunedin NZ to watch the first home game against Dundee utd with my 11 year old daughter this season. I think that beats the thread maker but it wasn't the only reason for the trip. My car registration plate in Nz is 'HIBS' as well which I am very proud of.

mim
18-04-2017, 08:46 AM
My furthest trip was from the Murrayfield Hotel to Tynecastle after a couple of hours of pre-match drinking. If you count the forward then backwards steps and factor in that I managed to get lost then my total will be hard to beat.

:greengrin :aok:

heretoday
18-04-2017, 08:59 AM
Leeds (twice).

Bill Milne
18-04-2017, 09:03 AM
Easily Trinidad & Tobago for the Millenium tour!!

BroxburnHibee
18-04-2017, 09:42 AM
Flew back from Dublin to watch us v Killie at Rugby Park.

We lost :greengrin

SRHibs
18-04-2017, 09:50 AM
Newcastle. Not a huge distance, but when I'm doing it every 2 weeks the cost certainly adds up.

EDIT: Actually, I'm lying, I traveled from sunny Doncaster the other week.

The Green Goblin
18-04-2017, 11:15 AM
Sao Paulo

Stranraer
18-04-2017, 11:18 AM
Newcastle. Not a huge distance, but when I'm doing it every 2 weeks the cost certainly adds up.

EDIT: Actually, I'm lying, I traveled from sunny Doncaster the other week.

:aok: it's expensive for me too. I remember travelling to a pre-season game against Sunderland back in 2011 and because it was a last minute thing the train cost me £90.

HIBERNIAN-0762
18-04-2017, 11:22 AM
Anderlecht Belgium :thumbsup:

ALF TUPPER
18-04-2017, 12:19 PM
Edinburgh to Belgium with the Famous Fife Branch. That's the furthest for me

Good times

cheltenhamhibee
18-04-2017, 12:36 PM
Dnipro and still sobering up! The overnight train from Kiev was fun.

I remember it well, fabulous trip, not as much fun as the taxis in Dnipro though, those guys were crazy

Hibee87
18-04-2017, 12:43 PM
was over in Arnheim about 5 or 6 years ago for a pre season match.

Wull
18-04-2017, 01:24 PM
Started from George near Cape Town - Joburg - Sao Paulo - Rio -Paris- Edinburgh, my mate got me ticket for Livi game a year and a half ago and it was was postponed due to international fixtures, and that was the only game at Easter Road that month, so off I went back to George without getting to the holy ground. :rolleyes:

arbroathhibby
18-04-2017, 01:42 PM

Latvia for the Dinaburg game. My son and I played in that game with locals after the match. We flew from Liverpool after driving down from Arbroath and then got the train down to Daugavpils from Riga. Bristol City were playing in Riga at the same time so we went to a couple of their games as well.

Hermit Crab
18-04-2017, 01:53 PM
Latvia for the Dinaburg game. My son and I played in that game with locals after the match. We flew from Liverpool after driving down from Arbroath and then got the train down to Daugavpils from Riga. Bristol City were playing in Riga at the same time so we went to a couple of their games as well.

You would have played with me in that game then.:greengrin I went to the Skonto Riga v Bristol city match as well, City score the winner in Stoppage time.

SkintHibby
18-04-2017, 03:24 PM
Preston (North End).

Albanian Hibs
18-04-2017, 04:33 PM
Intertoto v Vectra Vilnius?? Flew Edinburgh to Amsterdam to Riga. Car ride down to Vilnius then back to Riga. Got thrown off plane in Riga for being "exhuberant" so had to book another flight to Prague then back to Edinburgh. Was a day late going back to work.