PDA

View Full Version : NHC Kelvin and The Sun

Iggy Pope
14-04-2017, 04:47 PM
Done get involved in too much of this, but why is this absolute **** not in Jail? Better still, in my shed so I could kick him now and then and shut the shed again.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39601728

hibsbollah
14-04-2017, 04:58 PM
"Could Everton's Ross Barkley represent the missing link between man and beast?" :rolleyes:

The world is definitely a changed place. Racism is tolerated in a way it wouldn't have been even five years ago. Ex Sun hack Trevor Kavanagh is on the board of IPSO now so the ****ers probably think they can get away with anything.

Bostonhibby
14-04-2017, 05:03 PM
Is kelvin mckenzie the link between the lower back and the upper thigh?

Ultimate bellend, Barkley might just be the better man if he ignored him.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Scorrie
14-04-2017, 05:08 PM
The best thing to do is not buy that rag or use their website. Living in Liverpool as I do the "boycott the S*n" campaign is great. Even my local Tesco don't stock it now

SON OF PADDY
14-04-2017, 05:08 PM
I'd personally like to see this poor excuse of a man !
Dropped off outside Liverpool's​ ground, preferably the Kop end on match day
We'd see exactly what he was made of. 😨😨

Tobias Funke
14-04-2017, 05:10 PM
I would love to punch that reprehensible **** into a coma, wake him up and punch him into another one. ****bag of a man.

magpie1892
14-04-2017, 05:46 PM
I've got some inside info on this and I feel you'll be delighted when you learn that our Kelvin has been stitched up...

Now, Rebekah Brooks has been trying to get shot of KM for some time now for two reasons: 1) His column (which doesn't appear in The Scottish Sun) is expensive and increasingly, he's viewed as irrelevant but, and this may surprise some, 2) Brooks is very well aware how divisive and toxic KM is to the brand - even 28 years after THAT headline.

But she's been struggling to get him fired because he's a former editor and still pally with Murdoch and, indeed, the current editor of The Sun in England.

So anyway, when his column copy arrives at the subs desk, a few eyebrows are raised about the 'gorilla' line until it transpires that KM is completely oblivious to Ross Barkley being mixed-race. The subs send the copy back up to editorial (KM is not on the premises, obviously) and it's sent back saying: 'run it as it is'. Then... the caption. Normally written by the subs... this time, written by 'someone in editorial'.

So, unless something very odd happens, KM is finished and has cooked his own goose without actually knowing it. Job done!

givescotlandfreedom
14-04-2017, 05:50 PM
I can't stand that 'newspaper'. Well done to the people of Liverpool for chasing it out of town.

Andy74
14-04-2017, 06:12 PM
Done get involved in too much of this, but why is this absolute **** not in Jail? Better still, in my shed so I could kick him now and then and shut the shed again.

It's not a nice thing to say but I'm not getting the racist angle myself. Don't think that was intended at all.

Deansy
14-04-2017, 06:22 PM
'Men with similar "pay packets" in Liverpool are "drug dealers" and in prison'

Outrageous - normally that'd be enough to ensure his sacking but in today's 'Political climate' (esp down south) will probably be defended vigorously by the rest of the 'media' !. Wouldn't surprise me if there's one or two headlines tomorrow saying something like 'Liverpudlians have lost their sense of humour',

snooky
14-04-2017, 06:25 PM
I've got some inside info on this and I feel you'll be delighted when you learn that our Kelvin has been stitched up...

Now, Rebekah Brooks has been trying to get shot of KM for some time now for two reasons: 1) His column (which doesn't appear in The Scottish Sun) is expensive and increasingly, he's viewed as irrelevant but, and this may surprise some, 2) Brooks is very well aware how divisive and toxic KM is to the brand - even 28 years after THAT headline.

But she's been struggling to get him fired because he's a former editor and still pally with Murdoch and, indeed, the current editor of The Sun in England.

So anyway, when his column copy arrives at the subs desk, a few eyebrows are raised about the 'gorilla' line until it transpires that KM is completely oblivious to Ross Barkley being mixed-race. The subs send the copy back up to editorial (KM is not on the premises, obviously) and it's sent back saying: 'run it as it is'. Then... the caption. Normally written by the subs... this time, written by 'someone in editorial'.

So, unless something very odd happens, KM is finished and has cooked his own goose without actually knowing it. Job done!

Methinks you are cooking the Brooks, Magpie. The Sun would never stoop to anything as low as that.

:fibber:

hibsbollah
14-04-2017, 06:30 PM
'Men with similar "pay packets" in Liverpool are "drug dealers" and in prison'

Outrageous - normally that'd be enough to ensure his sacking but in today's 'Political climate' (esp down south) will probably be defended vigorously by the rest of the 'media' !. Wouldn't surprise me if there's one or two headlines tomorrow saying something like 'Liverpudlians have lost their sense of humour',

He's just speaking common sense, dintcha know. It's only the PC gone mad brigade that could possibly object.

magpie1892
14-04-2017, 06:32 PM
Methinks you are cooking the Brooks, Magpie. The Sun would never stoop to anything as low as that.

:fibber:

Shocking, I know, but true.

Don't know if he's sacked yet though. Hard to see him surviving this one.

lyonhibs
14-04-2017, 06:39 PM
I don't think it was intentionally racist, but anything that gets that piece of excrement in bother is fine by me.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
14-04-2017, 06:42 PM
He's just speaking common sense, dintcha know. It's only the PC gone mad brigade that could possibly object.

To be fair, thats the kinda shan banter tam cowan comes out with.

Wouldnt that be a win win, if we could get rid of both!

hibsbollah
14-04-2017, 06:42 PM
Shocking, I know, but true.

Don't know if he's sacked yet though. Hard to see him surviving this one.

Whether that rumour is true or not, Brooks is hardly an angel herself, as we found out from the recentish court case.

Onceinawhile
14-04-2017, 06:51 PM
He's been suspended.

lyonhibs
14-04-2017, 06:55 PM
http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/39603942?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_match_of_the_day&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport

Deansy
14-04-2017, 07:02 PM

Oh I'm anything but PC Mate, but I can't stand London-p****s who constantly use stereotypes to belittle/sneer at every place outside of their own home-town - added to the fact he works for the 'Sun/Murdoch' and McKenzie is the just pit-bull the 'Establishment' sets on folk !

Iggy Pope
14-04-2017, 07:04 PM
He's been suspended.

From height?

LaMotta

Brilliant! Thanks for posting this.:aok:

Pete
TBH I never knew Barkley was mixed race either. For someone to know about this "error" and make it a pawn in some internal game is disgusting.

The columnist isn't getting away with anything though as the tone of the article was also disgusting. Personal attacks on an individual that he wouldn't say to his face and insulting a city that they should, if they had any decency, be trying to build bridges with.

I hope the boycott spreads.

Carheenlea
14-04-2017, 07:08 PM
I'm no fan of the Sun, but is this not all a bit of an over reaction? Like another poster has said, Andy74 I think, I don't see the racist angle, more a pop at the players supposed dimness? As for the digs at Liverpudlians, I don't see any big deal with the lame patter.
If folk are looking for things in The Sun to get offended about, there will surely be worse than this in their pages in any given week.

WoreTheGreen
14-04-2017, 07:10 PM
Oh I'm anything but PC Mate, but I can't stand London-p****s who constantly use stereotypes to belittle/sneer at every place outside of their own home-town - added to the fact he works for the 'Sun/Murdoch' and McKenzie is the just pit-bull the 'Establishment' sets on folk !

What i hate is abank job etc is a fairytail when cockney crooks do it but outside London nothern ****

Iggy Pope
14-04-2017, 07:20 PM
I'm no fan of the Sun, but is this not all a bit of an over reaction? Like another poster has said, Andy74 I think, I don't see the racist angle, more a pop at the players supposed dimness? As for the digs at Liverpudlians, I don't see any big deal with the lame patter.
If folk are looking for things in The Sun to get offended about, there will surely be worse than this in their pages in any given week.

Let me be clear. The link I posted was from the BBC. I couldn't touch the Sun
The missing link between Man and Beast? Lame patter my baws.
You don't see the angle???? Ask that little fellah in your signature - "who made the Nazis"?

Stevie Reid
14-04-2017, 07:31 PM
Kelvin MacKenzie openly admitted in the past that he made up ludicrous stories to sell newspapers way back in the 80s, but that was obviously nothing in comparison to the disgusting Hillsborough coverage that he presided over.

Those things should have ensured that he was never taken seriously or given a voice again, yet not only is he still in a position of considerable influence, he has been given a platform to air his odious views on programmes such as Question Time (apparently to provide balance i.e. to be a controversial figure to try and cause conflict with his crass views) many, many times. Sadly the appetite for him, KatieHopkins and their ilk has lowered the level of debate in this country to a pitiful low.

Over the last 30 plus years he has done nothing other than peddle lies and legitimise hatred on a huge scale, and the political impact of that cannot be overstated. He is a total ****, and I wish nothing but bad things on him.

magpie1892
14-04-2017, 07:36 PM
Whether that rumour is true or not, Brooks is hardly an angel herself, as we found out from the recentish court case.

It's not a rumour.

No, she isn't.

IGRIGI
14-04-2017, 07:39 PM
We've unfortunately entered an era where everyone has to constantly find something to be outraged by. It will be clear to everyone that it wasn't meant in a racist way but we can't be missing an opportunity to get on the moral high horses to scream RACIST at someone and demand a sacking.

magpie1892
14-04-2017, 07:40 PM
TBH I never knew Barkley was mixed race either. For someone to know about this "error" and make it a pawn in some internal game is disgusting.

If it results in KM leaving the building for good, then I am struggling to see what's 'disgusting' about it. Touch of karma if you ask me.

Scouse Hibee
14-04-2017, 07:43 PM
What goes around finally comes around!

Stevie Reid
14-04-2017, 07:45 PM
We've unfortunately entered an era where everyone has to constantly find something to be outraged by. It will be clear to everyone that it wasn't meant in a racist way but we can't be missing an opportunity to get on the moral high horses to scream RACIST at someone and demand a sacking.

We're actually in an era where the media constantly gives a voice to columnists who have never felt more emboldened to air their odious prejudices, and Kelvin MacKenzie has to shoulder much responsibility for that.

This is the man who had the brass neck to demand an apology from South Yorkshire police over Hillsborough, disgusting beyond words. If he eventually gets his commupence due to the dark arts of the media then that is karma in action. **** him.

Iggy Pope
14-04-2017, 07:47 PM

Can we not just call someone a c--t when they are being a ****?

hibsbollah
14-04-2017, 07:49 PM

Those pesky PC liberal elite brigade gone mad types, storming about on their moral high ground horses. Almost enough to make you forgot what actually happened in the first place :grr:

Craig_HFC
14-04-2017, 07:49 PM
McKenzie always has been, currently is & always will be an odious ****.

majorhibs
14-04-2017, 07:50 PM
Kelvin MacKenzie openly admitted in the past that he made up ludicrous stories to sell newspapers way back in the 80s, but that was obviously nothing in comparison to the disgusting Hillsborough coverage that he presided over.

Those things should have ensured that he was never taken seriously or given a voice again, yet not only is he still in a position of considerable influence, he has been given a platform to air his odious views on programmes such as Question Time (apparently to provide balance i.e. to be a controversial figure to try and cause conflict with his crass views) many, many times. Sadly the appetite for him, KatieHopkins and their ilk has lowered the level of debate in this country to a pitiful low.

Over the last 30 plus years he has done nothing other than peddle lies and legitimise hatred on a huge scale, and the political impact of that cannot be overstated. He is a total ****, and I wish nothing but bad things on him.
Bad things multiplied. A hate filled prejudiced idiot like that deserves to experience painfully the ill that they are wishing on others. ****bag.

heretoday
14-04-2017, 07:58 PM

I don't get the racist angle at all. Mackenzie is too stupid to have researched Barkley's family history. And the Liverpool thing is a long-standing music-hall joke, like Aberdonians being mean.

What it is is highly insulting towards Barkley personally and at the end of a bad week for him. Best thing he can do is take Burnley to the cleaners tomorrow. The crowd will be right behind him anyway.

They haven't always been this season.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
14-04-2017, 07:59 PM

Splendid! :greengrin

pacorosssco
14-04-2017, 08:03 PM
All involved who lied and covered up should be in jail.

Wee Effen Bee
14-04-2017, 08:08 PM

No we bloody haven't. We are luckily enough now to be living in an era where garbage, regularly peddled in previous times, is now rightly, questioned...on many fronts! Whether it's intended racism or not is completely irrelevant - it is a total personal hatchet-job on a young man. The Sun used to be able to get away with this type of 'journalism' for years but it was usually targeted at anyone who wasn't a Tory erse-licker!
The way you have worded your post sounds as if you think KM has been hard-done by and it's the rest of us that are either attention-seeking or making mountains out of molehills. If that is your view, sorry, you are totally and irrefutably wrong. KM is a cont. of the highest order and I'm glad to say your stance is in the minority on this thread.

Colr
14-04-2017, 08:17 PM

Ross Barkley is not black. He does look less like a gorilla than Peter Reid, though.

The Pointer
14-04-2017, 09:20 PM
I don't read papers like the Sun but had a look at the link and wondered what the fuss is about. I wasn't aware Barkley was 'mixed race' and thought it was just the way someone from the Sun would normally write a wind-up article about a Scouser. Obviously it worked.

Don't see why people are frothing about something as petty as this as it's all a bit pc for me I'm afraid.

The Pointer
14-04-2017, 09:26 PM
Second thoughts, the reaction is very similar to the outrage brigade who threw their toys out the pram when David Moyes was pilloried for an innocuous comment.

Just Alf
14-04-2017, 09:31 PM
He doesn't look mixed race to me so that was a bit of a surprise, but the way he was described was personally insulting and a disgrace in its own right... What if someone wrote about you in that way in a widely read publication?......

...... Or your son or daughter?

:bitchy:

Holmesdale Hibs
14-04-2017, 09:37 PM
Don't think KM was being racist. But no sympathy from me on the grounds that he's still a ****.

northstandhibby
14-04-2017, 09:43 PM
The question should be- How on earth is this cretin still allowed to have his poison printed into the public domain? After the disgusting shameful Hillsborough cover up he should never have been heard from again, ever. It's difficult to find words for this odious creature.

glory glory

Nakedmanoncrack
14-04-2017, 10:57 PM
He doesn't look mixed race to me so that was a bit of a surprise, but the way he was described was personally insulting and a disgrace in its own right... What if someone wrote about you in that way in a widely read publication?......

What does a mixed race person look like?

They could be like Ryan Giggs ("white") or Theo Walcott ("black"), Barkley looks every bit as mixed-race as either of those two.

Mantis Toboggan
14-04-2017, 11:24 PM

Exactly. The column was horrendous anyway and confirms what a **** he is. The racist angle gets him sacked. And thank god for that.

Mantis Toboggan
14-04-2017, 11:25 PM
Second thoughts, the reaction is very similar to the outrage brigade who threw their toys out the pram when David Moyes was pilloried for an innocuous comment.

Read the article again. What exactly is innocuous about it? He repeatedly insults him.

Pete
14-04-2017, 11:42 PM

They could be like Ryan Giggs ("white") or Theo Walcott ("black"), Barkley looks every bit as mixed-race as either of those two.

I had no idea Barkley was mixed raced and after just learning that Ryan Giggs is too, the answer to your question is now "****ed if I know".

I guess the moral of the story is that you shouldn't say things that could be racially offensive to, or about anyone regardless of their appearance. Bit late for that McKenzie chap though.

Deansy
15-04-2017, 12:42 AM
Kelvin McKenzie/'The Sun' told lies and insulted people who lost their lives attending a football-match - yet you're a member of the PC-Brigade' if you're not happy with their latest attack/slur on Liverpudlians ??. Both McKenzie/'The Sun' probably thought that their pitiful and laughable 'The Real Truth' headline after the final verdict on Hillsborough was announced, meant that the ban/veto in Liverpool on their odious rag would be lifted - it isn't and probably won't ever be. So it looks like they've adopted the 'Might as well get hung for a sheep as a lamb' attitude and it's 'Open-Season' again on the Liverpool-people !

neil7908
15-04-2017, 03:38 AM
Evil, evil man and his continuing high profile in the media tells us so much about everything that is wrong in this country.

Pretty Boy
15-04-2017, 05:04 AM
Likening' someone of mixed race heritage to a 'gorrila' and a 'missing link' certainly carries some pretty sinister undertones imo. Whether it was intentionally racist or otherwise is irrelevant imo. I find those who shout the 'it's PC gone mad' line to excuse ignorance or their own prejudices to be far more of a majority and and an annoyance than the 'PC brigade' ever are.

As for McKenzie; he should have been put out to grass years ago. Lowest common denominator stuff from him aimed at stirring up controversy. There's not really a lot can be said about him that hasn't been said before. He's absolute ****, a liar, a coward and a total ****ing idiot.

Colr
15-04-2017, 06:20 AM

More like Ryan Giggs though.

Colr
15-04-2017, 06:22 AM
Don't think KM was being racist. But no sympathy from me on the grounds that he's still a ****.

Kelvin MacKenzie is a **** but this is nonsense and is a Dalem style feeding frenzy on an invented slight.

Colr
15-04-2017, 06:27 AM
I had no idea Barkley was mixed raced and after just learning that Ryan Giggs is too, the answer to your question is now "****ed if I know".

I guess the moral of the story is that you shouldn't say things that could be racially offensive to, or about anyone regardless of their appearance. Bit late for that McKenzie chap though.

Strikes me that you're not white unless you are pure 100% white but if you have 1/8th black lineage you are not white you are black. Not THAT is an example of racism!

Take Obamo. The man is 50% white but is always characterised a black.

Colr
15-04-2017, 06:28 AM
Kelvin McKenzie/'The Sun' told lies and insulted people who lost their lives attending a football-match - yet you're a member of the PC-Brigade' if you're not happy with their latest attack/slur on Liverpudlians ??. Both McKenzie/'The Sun' probably thought that their pitiful and laughable 'The Real Truth' headline after the final verdict on Hillsborough was announced, meant that the ban/veto in Liverpool on their odious rag would be lifted - it isn't and probably won't ever be. So it looks like they've adopted the 'Might as well get hung for a sheep as a lamb' attitude and it's 'Open-Season' again on the Liverpool-people !

I agree with your assessment of him but the rest is utter rubbish.

Malthibby
15-04-2017, 09:02 AM
Likening' someone of mixed race heritage to a 'gorrila' and a 'missing link' certainly carries some pretty sinister undertones imo. Whether it was intentionally racist or otherwise is irrelevant imo. I find those who shout the 'it's PC gone mad' line to excuse ignorance or their own prejudices to be far more of a majority and and an annoyance than the 'PC brigade' ever are.

As for McKenzie; he should have been put out to grass years ago. Lowest common denominator stuff from him aimed at stirring up controversy. There's not really a lot can be said about him that hasn't been said before. He's absolute ****, a liar, a coward and a total ****ing idiot.

Exactly this. I tried writing something similar but kept having to delete the swearing.
No wonder thwe human race struggles to get out the gutter.

15-04-2017, 09:17 AM
Kelvin MacKenzie is an utterly shameful, arrogant ****bag. How he still gets a media platform i'll never know, only The Sun could employ someone like that. Seedy, disgusting rag.

JFT96

easty
15-04-2017, 09:42 AM

Totally disagree.

You can call someone a gorilla if you think they are oaf-ish. Call them the missing link if you think they're a numpty. It's not necessarily racist, or sinister, at all.

I don't know if McKenzie knew Barkley was mixed race. I certainly never heard it before, and you absolutely can't tell by looking at him.

McKenzie is a **** of a man. Has been for as long as I've been aware of him. Labelling him as a racist based on this situation is horse **** though.

Dashing Bob S
15-04-2017, 09:45 AM
What goes around finally comes around!

Just not quickly enough or severely enough in his case.

magpie1892
15-04-2017, 10:09 AM
Totally disagree.

You can call someone a gorilla if you think they are oaf-ish. Call them the missing link if you think they're a numpty. It's not necessarily racist, or sinister, at all.

I don't know if McKenzie knew Barkley was mixed race. I certainly never heard it before, and you absolutely can't tell by looking at him.

McKenzie is a **** of a man. Has been for as long as I've been aware of him. Labelling him as a racist based on this situation is horse **** though.

Read my post from page 1. KM didn't know about Barkley's heritage. The Sun set him up and wrote the captions in a bid to get him sacked, and it looks to have worked.

Scouse Hibee
15-04-2017, 10:27 AM
Read my post from page 1. KM didn't know about Barkley's heritage. The Sun set him up and wrote the captions in a bid to get him sacked, and it looks to have worked.

Imagine that!

Colr
15-04-2017, 10:31 AM

...and the mob have responded in force!! Mckenzie is a twister of truths but mobs are worrying and they don't much bother with facts either.

Keith_M
15-04-2017, 10:42 AM
The guy's an idiot and I'm glad to see they're finally getting rid of him but....

It doesn't look to me like their was a racist angle in this at all. He apparently made the comment thinking the guy was white.

Looks like the usual suspects quick to take offence and play the race card at every turn, which really is unhelpful in combating actual racism.

Baader
15-04-2017, 10:44 AM
An absolute cretin of a man. Deserves all the (hopeful) misfortune that comes his way.

magpie1892
15-04-2017, 10:49 AM
...and the mob have responded in force!! Mckenzie is a twister of truths but mobs are worrying and they don't much bother with facts either.

They have, but KM has the Hillsborough albatross round his neck (and so he should have) but The Sun know their audience, know we're in the age of the perma-offended and KM gave them the perfect opportunity to get rid of him, which they've wanted to do for a while. With a bit of luck we may have heard the last of KM for good. He's suspended but I'll be very surprised if they're not thrashing out a severance package as I write this.

KM was set up but it couldn't really have happened to a nicer guy.

lyonhibs
15-04-2017, 11:02 AM
They have, but KM has the Hillsborough albatross round his neck (and so he should have) but The Sun know their audience, know we're in the age of the perma-offended and KM gave them the perfect opportunity to get rid of him, which they've wanted to do for a while. With a bit of luck we may have heard the last of KM for good. He's suspended but I'll be very surprised if they're not thrashing out a severance package as I write this.

KM was set up but it couldn't really have happened to a nicer guy.

Your last sentence basically sums it up.

**** him.

15-04-2017, 11:06 AM
KM and the sun both absolutely rotten to the very core. Vile man and a vile rag of a paper. Match made in heaven really.

Hibrandenburg
15-04-2017, 11:11 AM
Everton have now announced a ban on The Sun from all parts of their operation. Good on them, wish Hibs would do the same with the Record.

Swedish hibee
15-04-2017, 12:14 PM
Do I agree with what he wrote? No of course not. But I do agree 100% with freedom of speech, good and bad.

I want to always live in a free world and free speech where everyone is free to have their own opinion is a necessary part of living in the Western world.

Suspension for this really doesn't sit well with me.

SChibs
15-04-2017, 12:15 PM
Totally disagree.

I agree with this. I reckon he was just comparing him to a zoo animal in the way everyone is watching him all the time and he thought he was less intelligent than the average human. Just because his grandad was black it doesn't make the article racist. The personal attack is unacceptable but people are looking into some of it too much.

Phil MaGlass
15-04-2017, 12:17 PM

Exactly what I think,

jgl07
15-04-2017, 12:41 PM
I don't get the racist angle at all. Mackenzie is too stupid to have researched Barkley's family history. And the Liverpool thing is a long-standing music-hall joke, like Aberdonians being mean.

What it is is highly insulting towards Barkley personally and at the end of a bad week for him. Best thing he can do is take Burnley to the cleaners tomorrow. The crowd will be right behind him anyway.

As I am from Manchester, nobody likes a scouser joke more than me, but that was way over the top.

OK so Mackenzie is took thick to do basic research, but what about the editorial team. Did they even read it before publishing.

Likening someone of Nigerian descent to a gorilla isn't very smart. The 'I did not know' angle is no excuse at law. I suspect they will be in for a major payout.

Maybe Mackenzie ought to look to a new career as a public relations officer for United Airlines?

heretoday
15-04-2017, 12:51 PM
The only way to stop Mackenzie and his ilk is for people like Ross Barkley to sue for libel. He probably wouldn't succeed. Everton can ban The Sun if they like but it won't make much difference.

If Mackenzie was set up by his masters then fine but the damage has been done. It's one of downsides of free speech.

magpie1892
15-04-2017, 01:21 PM
As I am from Manchester, nobody likes a scouser joke more than me, but that was way over the top.

OK so Mackenzie is took thick to do basic research, but what about the editorial team. Did they even read it before publishing.

Likening someone of Nigerian descent to a gorilla isn't very smart. The 'I did not know' angle is no excuse at law. I suspect they will be in for a major payout.

KM is not thick, of that I can assure you. He simply didn't know - like 99% of other people - that Barkley had some black heritage.

'but what about the editorial team. Did they even read it before publishing.' Again, read my post on p1; yet again, I point out that the editorial team did read it before publishing, and they also wrote the ('missing link') caption, which is something that is exceptionally rare - the subs always write the headlines and captions, etc.

For the nth time - News Inc. wanted rid of KM and he's given them the perfect opportunity to facilitate this.

You're right, likening someone of Nigerian descent to a gorilla isn't very smart but, technically, Barkley isn't of Nigerian descent. As you again correctly point out, ignorance of the law is not a defence, but KM hasn't actually committed a criminal offence, and so on your third point you are wrong when you 'suspect they will be in for a major payout'. There's not enough there to make a case for a racially-motivated hate crime, and the rest is just opinion, however offensive you find it.

hibsbollah
15-04-2017, 01:32 PM
we're in the age of the perma-offended

What a stupid remark.

Hibs Class
09-05-2017, 09:17 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39854061

magpie1892
09-05-2017, 09:21 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39854061

I scooped the BBC/FT by 3.5 weeks. Yay me.

One Day Soon
09-05-2017, 11:25 AM
What a stupid remark.

I think it's highly accurate.

In the age of social media we have a permanently-on, live-to-air medium for electronic mobs to vent incessantly. Everyone from the Alt-right to the Alt-left, cybernats to cyberyoons - and the mass in between - is switched on to having a reaction to almost everything whether or not it is offensive, materially important or even factually true.

This is absolutely the age of the perma-offended, sadly. And we are moving to an age of permanently public, collective and transparent lifestyles too. Here's what I had for dinner, this what I think about everything and nothing, here's me at the public grief fest for whoever tragically died recently, here's me joining a mob hunt for this week's witch etc.

As for KM, this comeuppance will barely begin to pay back for the years of what he got up to at that rag.

hibsbollah
09-05-2017, 11:55 AM
I think it's highly accurate.

In the age of social media we have a permanently-on, live-to-air medium for electronic mobs to vent incessantly. Everyone from the Alt-right to the Alt-left, cybernats to cyberyoons - and the mass in between - is switched on to having a reaction to almost everything whether or not it is offensive, materially important or even factually true.

This is absolutely the age of the perma-offended, sadly. And we are moving to an age of permanently public, collective and transparent lifestyles too. Here's what I had for dinner, this what I think about everything and nothing, here's me at the public grief fest for whoever tragically died recently, here's me joining a mob hunt for this week's witch etc.

As for KM, this comeuppance will barely begin to pay back for the years of what he got up to at that rag.

When you start pretending that there is this febrile mass of public being 'perma-offended', you legitimise the offense in the first place. The subtext is 'oh well, Mackenzie shouldn't have called Barkley a gorilla in print, but everyone is soooo easily offended these days so...' What? its justifiable?

The facts are, Mackenzie is a ****. Everyone knows it. He's employed by an organisation run by ****s who tap dead kids phones and tell lies about the dead to cover up for the establishment. We should be MORE offended by this state of affairs, not less.

Bostonhibby
09-05-2017, 12:00 PM
When you start pretending that there is this febrile mass of public being 'perma-offended', you legitimise the offense in the first place. The subtext is 'oh well, Mackenzie shouldn't have called Barkley a gorilla in print, but everyone is soooo easily offended these days so...' What? its justifiable?

The facts are, Mackenzie is a ****. Everyone knows it. He's employed by an organisation run by ****s who tap dead kids phones and tell lies about the dead to cover up for the establishment. We should be MORE offended by this state of affairs, not less.
I do agree the offended can sometimes appear over offended depending on opinion but in the case of this disgusting human being he's fair game and he does little to show he's even bothered about the offense he causes.

AndyM_1875
09-05-2017, 12:12 PM
McKenzie was asked to describe the typical Sun reader, his target market...

"He's the bloke you see in the pub, a right old fascist, wants to sent the wogs back, buy his poxy council house, he's afraid of the unions, afraid of the Russians, hates the queers and the weirdos and drug dealers. He doesn't want to hear about that [detailed] stuff"

magpie1892
09-05-2017, 01:19 PM

"He's the bloke you see in the pub, a right old fascist, wants to sent the wogs back, buy his poxy council house, he's afraid of the unions, afraid of the Russians, hates the queers and the weirdos and drug dealers. He doesn't want to hear about that [detailed] stuff"

That quote is 35 years old. Probably accurate when he said it, too. It's the fact that he's not been able to move with the times that led to him being eased out of the editor's chair 25 years ago when he was just 45, and now sacked.

Got anything slightly fresher?!

jacomo
09-05-2017, 01:26 PM
I scooped the BBC/FT by 3.5 weeks. Yay me.

I always rely on Hibs.net for the FACTS.

You played a blinder here.

:aok:

magpie1892
09-05-2017, 01:39 PM
I always rely on Hibs.net for the FACTS.

You played a blinder here.

:aok:

Where's the emoji for 'slightly bashful smile while aware of undertones of sarcasm'?!

leithsansiro
09-05-2017, 01:58 PM
What a stupid remark.

I think I'd happily be "perma-offended" if Kelvin Mc is the barometer of decency

AgentDaleCooper
09-05-2017, 02:32 PM
kelvin mckenzie is a cynical oxygen thief, who makes nothing but deeply malignant contributions to society. i wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire, and genuinely hope he gets hit by a bus or a lorry. he is as close to pure evil as you can get without committing a crime (though nothing would surprise me).

Bostonhibby
09-05-2017, 02:38 PM

A plague upon him and those like him.

One Day Soon
10-05-2017, 12:03 PM

It is not a pretence and I have set out how and why above. Acknowledging that we are in the age of the perma-offended does not legitimise anything. Racism, sexism, sectarianism, homophobia, xenophobia and much more all fall on their own de-merits.

Magpie can speak for himself but I don't see any intended or accidental subtext in his post at all - though of course those inclined to be perma-offended may take a different view. :greengrin I genuinely think you have misinterpreted him.

I take his post to mean that Mackenzie shouldn't have called Barkley a gorilla, full stop. Having done so Mackenzie gave his employers exactly what they needed to get rid of him. In other words they used the reaction of the perma-offended to achieve their own aims.

The same perma-offended crap is evident every day all over the place from the Alt-Right on Corbyn to the Alt-Left on May and from cybernats on pretty much anything UK to cyberyoons on pretty much anything SNP. It doesn't legitimise or delegitimise, it just flows like a giant unstoppable river of 5hit.

hibsbollah
10-05-2017, 02:27 PM
- though of course those inclined to be perma-offended may take a different view. :greengrin .

That's pretty much my case in a nutshell right there. You don't have to engage properly with the argument because you're pre judging whether or not Im likely to be offended!

A **** is a ****.