PDA

View Full Version : Guard of honour

hibeesathampden
12-04-2017, 06:21 AM
IF we win the league on Saturday can we expect a guard of honour for our next game? Next up is Raith at Easter Road, wouldn't it be great if Skacel started that one... 😁

Niffy
12-04-2017, 06:31 AM
No thanks.

judas
12-04-2017, 06:38 AM
Glad you brought this up.

I consider our presence in this league to be a genuine stain on the record of our great club.

If we try to celebrate coming out of it with new Tshirts and similar fanfare on the day, I will be extremely displeased and may even consider vocal rebuke.

As for the guard, pah. Get it tae f.

green&left
12-04-2017, 06:47 AM
IF we win the league on Saturday can we expect a guard of honour for our next game? Next up is Raith at Easter Road, wouldn't it be great if Skacel started that one... 😁

Hope not. Leave that tacky ***** to the english premier league.

Scouse Hibee
12-04-2017, 06:51 AM

I consider our presence in this league to be a genuine stain on the record of our great club.

If we try to celebrate coming out of it with new Tshirts and similar fanfare on the day, I will be extremely displeased and may even consider vocal rebuke.

After three seasons getting promoted is a great cause for celebration, this we're too proud to celebrate is a load of pish. I'm not talking about a guard of honour just this general talk of being embarrassed to celebrate.

tamig
12-04-2017, 06:55 AM
After three seasons getting promoted is a great cause for celebration, this we're too proud to celebrate is a load of pish.

Exactly. Seems to be a few people who are thinking that way based on comments on various threads. Can't get my head round it. Lets GTF out this league and party when the day arrives.

we are hibs
12-04-2017, 06:55 AM

obvious wind up

JimBHibees
12-04-2017, 06:56 AM
After three seasons getting promoted is a great cause for celebration, this we're too proud to celebrate is a load of pish.

Couldnt agree more, nothing like winning the Scottish last season however we should celebrate any trophy we win maybe Tennents sixes apart. :greengrin

SirDavidsNapper
12-04-2017, 07:05 AM
No thanks. Was embarrassing when the yams were demanding it every game after they won it. It's extremely cringy, especially for a club of our stature in this league.

marinello59
12-04-2017, 07:07 AM
I really hope the club makes it clear that no guard of honour is expected for getting out of this league.

Scouse Hibee
12-04-2017, 07:09 AM
No thanks. Was embarrassing when the yams were demanding it every game after they won it. It's extremely cringy, especially for a club of our stature in this league.

A club of our stature? Our stature is we have been a team struggling to get out of the championship despite our magnificent cup win.

CB_NO3
12-04-2017, 07:14 AM
After three seasons getting promoted is a great cause for celebration, this we're too proud to celebrate is a load of pish. I'm not talking about a guard of honour just this general talk of being embarrassed to celebrate.
I wont be celebrating as such. I will of course be delighted we are back.

calumhibee1
12-04-2017, 07:16 AM
Don't want a guard of honour purely because I think it's a load of pish. Teams should never be forced to stand and applaud the Champions before a game against them, if they want to applaud them off the park then fine, whatever, but they should be able to go out and focus on their job before hand.

With regards to celebrating, I'll be delighted we've made it out of this pishy league and will very lightly celebrate this fact. The actual trophy side of things, I couldn't really care less, the only prize here IMO is a place back in the Premiership.

steakbake
12-04-2017, 07:28 AM

Think we should hang fire with this chat until it's done and dusted.

Still got a bit to do. The guys need to step up on Saturday and do something we've only done twice in twelve games.

GreenCastle
12-04-2017, 07:31 AM
Wouldn't want one. The yams wanting one was embarrassing and they celebrated the championship win like they won the champions league. Wonder what will happen if they ever win the league cup !!

Of course enjoy the day and players and management deserve the plaudits.

Did we ever get one for winning the Scottish Cup after the best final ever ?

Mick O'Rourke
12-04-2017, 07:37 AM
Police Scotland (Cavalry section) did a nice GoH for us at Hampden:-)

I don't think Hibernian will expect that teams salute them,the way hertz did.I hope not!

I will be happy enough for our Club,who at last have gained promotion,and the faithful who stood by the club in large numbers during this awful period.
Its been purgatory.

Is It On....
12-04-2017, 07:44 AM

Relieved rather than celebrating to be leaving this league.

SaulGoodman
12-04-2017, 07:50 AM
Some folk really need to wind their necks in

we are hibs
12-04-2017, 07:50 AM
Not sure what the big deal is. If we win it on Saturday and Raith want to give us a Guard of Honour then that's up to them. We are hardly going to turn around and say "we are too big and better to get a guard of honour for winning this league so no thanks"

portyhibernian
12-04-2017, 08:46 AM
Will be a relief once we are finally over the line, will enjoy the day but it definitely won't have the lasting impact of the cup win. If a team wants to do a guard of honour then fair enough but I wouldn't really care either way, and certainly wouldn't expect one every game like Hearts did.

BegbieHSC
12-04-2017, 08:49 AM
Not sure about a guard of honour, but if we win on Saturday, and Falkirk drop points, I shall certainly be exuberant down the boozers on Leith Walk until Easter Monday!

GreenCastle
12-04-2017, 10:06 AM
Just looked at the Raith team and a few ex Jambos so a guard of honour would be pretty funny.

Is that weirdo Rudi still stealing a wage? Hopefully as I would love to see his face if they Yogi did do one :greengrin

Also Handling...and Scott Robertson (has he been playing?) at Raith - but Handling won't play I guess.

Bristolhibby
12-04-2017, 10:14 AM
Not sure about a guard of honour, but if we win on Saturday, and Falkirk drop points, I shall certainly be exuberant down the boozers on Leith Walk until Easter Monday!

This.

Jones28
12-04-2017, 10:18 AM
Since when was any club too big to receive a guard of honour? If Raith want to give us one then we should be gracious enough to accept it

Fuzzywuzzy
12-04-2017, 10:22 AM
Not something I would want or expect. It's the championship

My_Wife_Camille
12-04-2017, 10:28 AM
No honour in winning the Championship. It's just a huge mistake that's finally been fixed after 3 years.

A quick well done to those who finally managed to right such a huge wrong in the history of this club and back home in time for the 6 o'clock news

lyonhibs
12-04-2017, 10:41 AM
I do hope there's no "merchandise" à la "We're back" t-shirts or anything.

That would have been worthwhile had we bossed a league containing Hearts and Rangers, but Dundee United and Falkirk, not a much.

No guard of honour, a few drinks and a wee sing song. That's it for me

happiehibbie
12-04-2017, 10:43 AM

NO!
this league does not count in my view :)

yonder1875
12-04-2017, 10:59 AM

Bang on. If you can't enjoy winning a league title, regardless of the division and having a wee bit of fun when it comes then lighten up - who cares what others think?

eastcoasthibby
12-04-2017, 01:44 PM
Think we should hang fire with this chat until it's done and dusted.

Still got a bit to do. The guys need to step up on Saturday and do something we've only done twice in twelve games.

Absolutely right ..we have failed to win games and kill this off over the past 3-4 weeks with games we should have won and if we had won against Ayr , Dunfermline, Morton at home we would have celebrated last Saturday away at Morton ..we need a win desperately on Saturday or we pile the pressure on ourselves .. and as we have seen we are struggling to put together a decent performance ..so lets hold fire on all this talk ...til its done.

Dashing Bob S
12-04-2017, 01:49 PM
Absolutely right ..we have failed to win games and kill this off over the past 3-4 weeks with games we should have won and if we had won against Ayr , Dunfermline, Morton at home we would have celebrated last Saturday away at Morton ..we need a win desperately on Saturday or we pile the pressure on ourselves .. and as we have seen we are struggling to put together a decent performance ..so lets hold fire on all this talk ...til its done.

Rubbish! I'm down at my tailor's in Mayfair, choosing my outfit for Saturday.

AltheHibby
12-04-2017, 01:54 PM
I'm for it on the condition that the snout has to lead us out. Otherwise, no, it's yak class not Hibs class.

Johnny Clash
12-04-2017, 03:23 PM

Spot on! Of course we should only be playing in the top league but we were relegated coz we were crap. Status or our expectations doesn't come into it. So we hopefully will win the league and that's great! I'll raise my glass to the Hibee class and hope we continue to build from there.

danhibees1875
12-04-2017, 03:27 PM
There won't be people queuing up at my stall to get a "skooshed" t-shirt then?

Wilson
12-04-2017, 03:39 PM
I do hope there's no "merchandise" à la "We're back" t-shirts or anything.

That would have been worthwhile had we bossed a league containing Hearts and Rangers, but Dundee United and Falkirk, not a much.

No guard of honour, a few drinks and a wee sing song. That's it for me

"We're back" t-shirts were good enough for McLeish's hibs - A better squad promoted from a poorer league.

As far as I am concerned hibs being back is a big event. We should be looking to impact on the league next season and be ruffling a few feathers (hearts, rangers) while doing it.

I will make as much noise about being back as possible. I wouldn't expect the club to miss a merchandising opportunity either.

Wilson
12-04-2017, 03:41 PM
No guard of honour required though. Up as champs is enough.

Frazerbob
12-04-2017, 03:45 PM
For me, I hope....

-No guard of honour please, especially as we (rightly) refused one for der Hun last year

-No t-shirts for the players

-No OTT celebrations

A lap of honour with SOL and up the tunnel to prepare for next week and the defence of our cup. The fans can party as much as we want and I look forward to the trip to Hampden with promotion in the bag.....hopefully!

ALF TUPPER
12-04-2017, 04:09 PM
I'm not too fussed if teams do/dont want to do a guard of honour. Its not important to me.

I see nothing wrong with the players and coaches doing a lap of the pitch. Personally, id like to see Leeann taking a bow.

It works both ways for me. We can applaud their efforts for finally getting us out of this league and more-so it will allow them the opportunity to acknowledge us for sticking with them.

The Scottish Cup aside, the last 3 years has been pretty hard to watch at times. So, when we do finally get out of this league ..... I'll be there to enjoy it with anyone else who waits around.

#GGTTH 😁

SON OF PADDY
12-04-2017, 04:10 PM
NO!
this league does not count in my view :)

Of course it counts " you can only win the league your in " Applause for finally winning the bloody thing then the pub.

As a wise man once said " you can only 🎣ish with the 🐓ock the good lord gave you " End off 😁

Ardenttwo
12-04-2017, 04:11 PM
I really hope the club makes it clear that no guard of honour is expected for getting out of this league.

I sincerly hope there is no guard of honour. It's embarrassing enough being in this pub league without acting like heroes because we out of it

sleeping giant
12-04-2017, 04:14 PM
I would like to say in surprised at folk using "cringey " and "embarrassing " but I'm not.

Fannies used to be few and far between in here.
Not any more.

Fannies

Wilson
12-04-2017, 04:20 PM
I sincerly hope there is no guard of honour. It's embarrassing enough being in this pub league without acting like heroes because we out of it

We are in this league because we deserve to be. We are still in this league because we deserve to be. We can't be snobs about a league that has taken years to get out of.

Surely that us not hibs? We are a club that doesn't forget where it came from after all.

We will get promoted because the manager, players, support staff, and fans pulled together and worked damned hard to get us out. It may be more relief than achievement but we should enjoy it.

It is about time we stopped being hard on ourselves. The rest of Scottish football does that for us.

judas
12-04-2017, 05:24 PM
I would like to say in surprised at folk using "cringey " and "embarrassing " but I'm not.

Not any more.

Fannies

You're the one calling Hibs fans fannies. A bit OTT? Or cringeworthy and embarrassing perhaps?

SaulGoodman
12-04-2017, 05:35 PM
You're the one calling Hibs fans fannies. A bit OTT? Or cringeworthy and embarrassing perhaps?

He's right though, there's some perpetually miserable *******s on this site and it's getting worse.

Frazerbob
12-04-2017, 05:36 PM

Not any more.

Fannies

Charming.

Frazerbob
12-04-2017, 05:39 PM
He's right though, there's some perpetually miserable *******s on this site and it's getting worse.

He's right to call fellow Hibs fans fannies for having a different opinion to his? No he's not right, he's out of order.

where'stheslope
12-04-2017, 05:52 PM
We slid down into this League because we took our eyes off the ball, laughing at the Yams i.e. the "Relegation party"!

Now we are within touching distance of our other Holy Grail, getting out of this League, pity we have not managed it with the style we expected, but once we are there why should we not celebrate?

You don't win a league in the first game its a long slog to the finish line, so once we finally win it get out the Champagne!!!!

bod
12-04-2017, 06:06 PM
cant wait to wear my " back in the big league " tee shirt on holiday

marinello59
12-04-2017, 06:28 PM

Not any more.

Fannies

No need for that is there? Maybe you'd like to delete that.

Wee Effen Bee
12-04-2017, 07:14 PM
There won't be people queuing up at my stall to get a "skooshed" t-shirt then?

I'll take two XLs please DanH.:greengrin
Don't care in the slightest whether we receive a guard of honour or not - it's irrelevant for me. Strange how some say they will celebrate if we win it and others suggest these people have said we are brilliant or even world beaters for daring to rejoice winning a competition!:dunno: No one has suggested we are world beaters: if you dont celebrate (by singing or jumping or cheering or bevvying or getting stoned or applauding or dancing or something else...insert here...) Hibs winning the league then you are: a chancer; not a Hibby or you are one with a serious emotional defect:greengrin)

Just Alf
12-04-2017, 07:18 PM
We are in this league because we deserve to be. We are still in this league because we deserve to be. We can't be snobs about a league that has taken years to get out of.

Surely that us not hibs? We are a club that doesn't forget where it came from after all.

We will get promoted because the manager, players, support staff, and fans pulled together and worked damned hard to get us out. It may be more relief than achievement but we should enjoy it.

It is about time we stopped being hard on ourselves. The rest of Scottish football does that for us.
Rely food shout and also a great argument for no guard of honour

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

poolman
12-04-2017, 07:22 PM

Tacky nonsense

Don't need it

Vault Boy
12-04-2017, 07:32 PM

I agree. No matter the circumstances of our relegation or the perceived quality (or lack thereof) in the Championship, it has been a damn hard grind for us; as fans, as a team and as a club. I think we are allowed to own our victory. To put it lightly, screw what anybody on the outside looking in thinks, this is in its own way something to be proud of - to come from where we were during the time of relegation, to where we are now, is a very considerable achievement. Not something to be so haphazardly disregarded. I'll be utterly delighted when we win it and I don't consider that to be at all shameful.

Bristolhibby
12-04-2017, 07:49 PM
Two competitions we are currently in at the moment.

Both bring silverwear and other benefits.

SPFL Championship winners trophy and Promotion.
SFA Cup and European Qualification.

Why would you not celebrate winning any of the above?

J

Ardenttwo
12-04-2017, 08:26 PM

Not any more.

Fannies

Thats is what's wrong with this forum now. No sensible opinions are tolerated. If the clowns on here don't like someone's opinion they call them fannies. FFS grow up

mca
12-04-2017, 08:47 PM
I Feel SORRY for the Kids Nowadays..

Dad.. We Won the Cup.. - I know son But Lets not celebrate too much.. eh son

Just Stand here and clap for a bit..ok..

I Know it's 3 years and all that.. But if your with your kids.. Jump around and Enjoy the moment for them.. please :singing:

DavidDavidGray
12-04-2017, 11:54 PM
Only want a guard of honour vs Raith just to see Skacel applauding Hibs players. Don't get the whole 'shouldn't celebrate' mentality though

13-04-2017, 01:15 AM
I will celebrate out of relief more than anything. "At last, at last, at last! What kept you Hibs!"

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

we are hibs
13-04-2017, 07:12 AM
Thats is what's wrong with this forum now. No sensible opinions are tolerated. If the clowns on here don't like someone's opinion they call them fannies. FFS grow up

"Sensible opinion"

in what way is telling hibs fans they are "embarrassing" if they celebrate winning the league on Saturday sensible? People can do what they like.

its like saying Celtic shouldn't celebrate winning the league because they're far better and bigger than most other sides in the league and they should be winning it. Seems to be lots of killjoys in our support.

Pretty Boy
13-04-2017, 07:43 AM
We got a guard of honour last time. I would't care one way or another if we got one this time. As long as we don't go down the Hearts route demanding one every week until the end of the season. That was cringeworthy.

Fwiw if we win the league on Saturday I intend to drink a lot, sing Hibs songs and celebrate. It's been a tough 3 years in the league but winning the cup was a huge boost to Hibs, getting back to the Premiership is the next stage in that process and I'm damn sure I'm going to enjoy it. I'll probably even buy a 'champions' T shirt that I'll wear about twice as well.

Sorry if that offends anyone.

Keith_M
13-04-2017, 08:04 AM
Hmm, no thanks.

IAmLee
13-04-2017, 08:29 AM
Happy to celebrate finally getting out of this league, but been some talk on facebook about going on the pitch which, for me, is well over the top and will no doubt get us a fine. Will stand and applaud the players and then head to the pub for a few drinks with my pals safe in the knowledge that we've finally done it and will be playing teams who won't put 10 men behind the ball next season! As for the guard of honour, I don't mind if Raith or whoever want to give us one as long as we don't expect it, Hearts taking the huff with us not giving them there millionth guard of honour was one of the most cringeworthy things I've ever seen.

NAE NOOKIE
13-04-2017, 05:45 PM
I will expect every team in the championship, if not Scotland, to send a player to help form our guard of honour at the end of the game on Saturday. If we haven't won the league that day then they should stay in an hotel at their own expense until such time as we do. Anything less will be a disgrace and disrespectful to Hibs.

I also expect Hibs to provide stewards to assist less able fans over the walls in front of the stands so that they can take part in the pitch invasion and ladders for folk who want to climb onto the crossbar .... anything less will be letting the fans down IMO.

Or to put it another way ......... I couldn't care less about a guard of honour, and please stay off the pitch :aok:

HibsNutter
13-04-2017, 05:55 PM
Don't think it is appropriate for winning a lower league. It would be even more daft for teams to give us one after us previously refusing to give Rangers one.

SouthMoroccoStu
14-04-2017, 05:13 AM
We got a guard of honour last time. I would't care one way or another if we got one this time. As long as we don't go down the Hearts route demanding one every week until the end of the season. That was cringeworthy.

Fwiw if we win the league on Saturday I intend to drink a lot, sing Hibs songs and celebrate. It's been a tough 3 years in the league but winning the cup was a huge boost to Hibs, getting back to the Premiership is the next stage in that process and I'm damn sure I'm going to enjoy it. I'll probably even buy a 'champions' T shirt that I'll wear about twice as well.

Sorry if that offends anyone.

Sums it up perfectly for me!

Don't remember us getting a guard of honour in 1999

Hearts wanting numerous guards of honour (including one from us when we were playing about 5 games after they won it) and an open top bus parade was simply laughable

flash
14-04-2017, 06:20 AM
No thanks to a guard of honour and anybody thinking about going on the pitch must have serious mental health issues after everything that's happened.

Dashing Bob S
14-04-2017, 06:25 AM
Anything other than a guard of honor formed by an assortment of Refs and linesmen, Rangers players and officials, Hearts players and officials, Houston, Scottish sports journos, all waving a banner: SORRY WE WERE SO WRONG before indulging in mass ritual suicide, will be perceived by me as a calculated snub against the Hibernian family.

Jim44
14-04-2017, 06:55 AM
Not sure what the big deal is. If we win it on Saturday and Raith want to give us a Guard of Honour then that's up to them. We are hardly going to turn around and say "we are too big and better to get a guard of honour for winning this league so no thanks"

Surely you don't really think that teams spontaneously give a GoH. They'll be told to comply. Call me cynical, but it's not human nature to applaud a team you're just about to kick ten bells out of or cheat your way to beating. Nah, it's hypocritical so less of this nonsense the better. When we eventually crawl over the line we should just smugly enjoy the moment and get on with business.