PDA

View Full Version : NHC David Moyes

Scouse Hibee
03-04-2017, 05:59 PM
I can't believe the outrage after his slap comment. The reporter said she wasn't offended or bothered by it now we have all sorts making a massive issue of it.

bingo70
03-04-2017, 06:03 PM
I can't believe the outrage after his slap comment. The reporter said she wasn't offended or bothered by it now we have all sorts making a massive issue of it.

There is a video of it doing the rounds and it's clearly a joke that is taken in the right manner.

Moyes shouldn't have apologised for it.

Michael
03-04-2017, 06:05 PM
I don't know if it's what he said really, its probably more the creepy way he said it that made it sound worse.

Swedish hibee
03-04-2017, 06:07 PM
Poor David. He's on the Swedish news!!!!!

Ronniekirk

There was no need for him to make the comment in the first place He should have realised that it would cause offence to some people and that someone would have used the footage to make a Political point
Just stupid imo

But haven't seen any apology placing his comment in context of on going banter But if the Interviewer had complained he was leaving himself wide open

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scouse Hibee
I don't know if it's what he said really, its probably more the creepy way he said it that made it sound worse.

Either/or, the bandwagoners who have chosen to be offended by it are a pain in the erse.

Ronniekirk
03-04-2017, 06:09 PM
Either/or, the bandwagoners who have chosen to be offended by it are a pain in the erse.

And to add balance to my last post I don't disagree with The Bsndwagoner bit

Scouse Hibee
03-04-2017, 06:09 PM
There was no need for him to make the comment in the first place He should have realised that it would cause offence to some people and that someone would have used the footage to make a Political point
Just stupid imo

But haven't seen any apology placing his comment in context of on going banter But if the Interviewer had complained he was leaving himself wide open

It was a comment many folk make in jest, absolute madness to see him vilified for it.

Scouse Hibee
03-04-2017, 06:13 PM
And to add balance to my last post I don't disagree with The Bsndwagoner bit

That's what really hacks me off in these situations,always going to happen unfortunately.

GlesgaeHibby
03-04-2017, 06:19 PM

Exactly, what has it got to do with anybody apart from Moyes and the reporter? He made the comment in jest, apologised, apology accepted. Move on. Some folk just love to find something to be offended about.

NAE NOOKIE
03-04-2017, 06:34 PM
Seen the 'incident' on tonight's news ..... the comment was clearly made in a jocular manner and the reporter clearly seemed to take it in that spirit. To describe what he said as 'sexist' is total bloody nonsense ..... the only reference to the sex of the reporter was that Moyes suggested he "might still give her a slap even though she was a girl".

The last time I looked thankfully we still live in a culture where a man hitting a woman is considered a cowardly act, certainly far more than a man hitting another man would be .... to allude to that fact in what he said can hardly be considered sexist by Moyes, unless of course its now politically correct to believe that if a man doesn't punch a woman in the face in the situation where he might punch another man he is discriminating against her.

That certainly appears to be what is happening here .... if Moyes had made the same threat to a male reporter nobody would have batted an eyelid and it would have been laughed off as banter .... the only difference here is that the reporter was a woman and as far as I can make out the issue isn't that Moyes in a light hearted manner threatened to hit a reporter, but that he suggested he couldn't because she was female ....... if that's now what is considered sexist then heaven help women everywhere.

Andy74
03-04-2017, 06:35 PM
Seen the 'incident' on tonight's news ..... the comment was clearly made in a jocular manner and the reporter clearly seemed to take it in that spirit. To describe what he said as 'sexist' is total bloody nonsense ..... the only reference to the sex of the reporter was that Moyes suggested he "might still give her a slap even though she was a girl".

The last time I looked thankfully we still live in a culture where a man hitting a woman is considered a cowardly act, certainly far more than a man hitting another man would be .... to allude to that fact in what he said can hardly be considered sexist by Moyes, unless of course its now politically correct to believe that if a man doesn't punch a woman in the face in the situation where he might punch another man he is discriminating against her.

That certainly appears to be what is happening here .... if Moyes had made the same threat to a male reporter nobody would have batted an eyelid and it would have been laughed off as banter .... the only difference here is that the reporter was a woman and as far as I can make out the issue here isn't that Moyes in a light hearted manner threatened to hit a reporter, but that he suggested he couldn't because she was female ....... if that's now what is considered sexist then heaven help women everywhere.

Agree. Load of nonsense. It was pretty much the opposite of sexist wasn't it?!

Sir David Gray
03-04-2017, 06:41 PM
It was hardly sexist but I thought his comments were inappropriate and I'm glad he's apologised.

Considering the reporter's accepted the apology and they've both agreed to move on, I don't see the need for an FA investigation.

OxoHibby
03-04-2017, 06:43 PM

Leaked by Sunderland as a way of getting him out without compo perhaps. It certainly wasn't the reporter who made a complaint

Scouse Hibee
03-04-2017, 06:47 PM
Leaked by Sunderland as a way of getting him out without compo perhaps. It certainly wasn't the reporter who made a complaint

Possibly, good point.

jodjam
03-04-2017, 06:54 PM
Agree with everything scouse hibs has said. However this is old news. Happened weeks ago. Is this Sunderland looking to "move him on"

Just seen post above

SirDavidsNapper
03-04-2017, 06:59 PM
Next Scotland boss

snooky
03-04-2017, 07:04 PM
Much ado about nothing. There's some really touchy folk in this world.
Bombs going off everywhere, sabre rattling with Spain, Trump and Putin in charge of the world, North Korea about to get more than a slap and yet Moyes says a flip comment and it's headline news?
:wtf: :ostrich: :monkey: :clown: :doh: :crazy:

Colr
03-04-2017, 07:10 PM

Would it be OK to threaten a man with a slap?

Peevemor
03-04-2017, 07:18 PM
Moyes didn't threaten anyone.

Colr
03-04-2017, 07:20 PM
Moyes didn't threaten anyone.

My reference was to the outrage in the media.

Scouse Hibee
03-04-2017, 07:20 PM

It wouldn't be okay to threaten anyone,the gender is immaterial as is your talk of a threat.

Peevemor
03-04-2017, 07:22 PM
My reference was to the outrage in the media.
Ah. OK

03-04-2017, 07:41 PM
The worlds gone PC mad! :crazy:

hibee
03-04-2017, 07:51 PM
Just watched the video, they were both clearly having a laugh. Pathetic that this is making the news now.

snooky
03-04-2017, 07:52 PM
Don't slap me for saying this but, whatever happen to free speech? (Inoffensive or otherwise).

Moody Blues
03-04-2017, 07:53 PM

well said , and so correct

KDY Hibs
03-04-2017, 08:00 PM

Agree, outrageous.

lapsedhibee
03-04-2017, 08:25 PM

Possibly a bit dinosaurish to refer to a grown woman as a girl.
Edit: Moyes was misquoted here. Didn't say girl, said woman. So I agree there wasn't much of a sexist element. Bullying/intimidating, probably.

Thecat23
03-04-2017, 08:30 PM
Ffs is everything anyone does even when both see it as a joke going to offend someone. People love going out there way to be offended it's embarrassing.

Mantis Toboggan
03-04-2017, 08:43 PM

Interesting thought, but theres no way thats a basis for sacking someone, it was pretty innocuous really.

Newry Hibs
03-04-2017, 08:53 PM
5 live had an interview with labours shadow sports minister who was outraged at such sexist behaviour; women being demeaned in the workplace etc etc she also 'knows' that he would not say the same to a male interviewer. Ridiculous overplaying. Then they played Moyes saying he phoned the girl up to apologise. I mean they should sack him for that.

heretoday
03-04-2017, 09:01 PM
Moyes played for the Pars against us in the Skol Cup Final in 1991.

Smartie
03-04-2017, 09:02 PM
I'm thinking I need to delete my post on the "square go" thread about wanting to have a square go with Anne Budge.

poolman
03-04-2017, 09:03 PM
What a frikin fuss about nothing

Dearie me 😑

Colr
03-04-2017, 09:30 PM
It wouldn't be okay to threaten anyone,the gender is immaterial as is your talk of a threat.

I'm suggesting that it is not OK to threaten anyone but because the reporter was female is becomes a cause celebre for female chauvanists whereas if he'd said that to a man it would not have been an issue.

Scouse Hibee
03-04-2017, 09:34 PM
I'm suggesting that it is not OK to threaten anyone but because the reporter was female is becomes a cause celebre for female chauvanists whereas if he'd said that to a man it would not have been an issue.

Yes sorry, I realised when I saw your response earlier, forgot to acknowledge your response.

Iggy Pope
03-04-2017, 09:43 PM

Spot on. In every workplace there are people that need a slap or a cuddle. No one gets slapped, no one gets cuddled. They had a laugh about it and moved on. That's on record. There is no threat. If anyone needs a slap on the ear it is Moyes, the incompetent goon, who should never have left the only job he was good at. And that job wasn't being an interviewee.

Mibbes Aye
03-04-2017, 09:58 PM

The problem is gender isn't immaterial because we have a serious problem in our society where men assault women on a regular basis. As the news shows it often leads to their death. It's certainly not the same the other way around, is it?

Gender isn't immaterial. Just like if it was 'banter' based on race.

It's not 'PC gone mad' when you see the domestic violence figures after an OF game. Moyes' comments don't cause that, but excusing them contributes to that culture.

The Pointer
03-04-2017, 10:01 PM
As I said elsewhere, it's currently very fashionable to be offended and the fact that Moyes said it in a jocular way, the lady in question didn't think anything of it, it didn't happen at the weekend, yet some metropolitan Londoners heard of it and decided to throw their hands up in horror, just makes me wonder what it is about these people.

That's why I avoid the Grauniad.

Scouse Hibee
03-04-2017, 10:04 PM
The problem is gender isn't immaterial because we have a serious problem in our society where men assault women on a regular basis. As the news shows it often leads to their death. It's certainly not the same the other way around, is it?

It's not 'PC gone mad' when you see the domestic violence figures after an OF game. Moyes' comments don't cause that, but excusing them contributes to that culture.

It is immaterial in the context of the question I was asked. I was asked if it would have been okay to threaten a man as opposed to a women. Your ridiculous suggestion of contribution to the culture of domestic violence is exactly the over dramatised reactionist nonsense this thread is about.

Mibbes Aye
03-04-2017, 10:13 PM
It is immaterial in the context of the question I was asked. I was asked if it would have been okay to threaten a man as opposed to a women. Your ridiculous suggestion of contribution to the culture of domestic violence is exactly the over dramatised reactionist nonsense this thread is about.

Nice edit!

How may other goes do you want?

How ever many you take,you're not going to convince anyone sensible that "...gender is immaterial".

That's not PC, it's just the evidence. The overwhelming evidence.

Scouse Hibee
03-04-2017, 10:19 PM
Nice edit!

How may other goes do you want?

How ever many you take,you're not going to convince anyone sensible that "...gender is immaterial".

That's not PC, it's just the evidence. The overwhelming evidence.

What are you going on about? Context is everything. Not once have I used the term PC in any of my posts. Just in case you are having difficulty I will explain once again;

Q. Is it okay to threaten a man rather than a woman?

A. The gender is immaterial, it's not okay to threaten either.

If you can'take understand that then you are not as sensible as you think.

You want another go?

Swedish hibee
03-04-2017, 10:31 PM
Thank goodness he didn't tell her she'd get a wee Glasgow kiss!!!!!
The world had gone mad.

Scouse Hibee
03-04-2017, 10:33 PM
Thank goodness he didn't tell her she'd get a wee Glasgow kiss!!!!!
The world had gone mad.

Probably would have been accused of sexual harassment if he had. :-)

lapsedhibee
03-04-2017, 10:36 PM
Why was Moyes objecting to the 'naughty' question anyway? Managers get asked all the time if they're under pressure, their job's at risk, etc etc etc.

Mibbes Aye
03-04-2017, 10:38 PM
What are you going on about? Context is everything. Not once have I used the term PC in any of my posts. Just in case you are having difficulty I will explain once again;

Q. Is it okay to threaten a man rather than a woman?

A. The gender is immaterial, it's not okay to threaten either.

If you can'take understand that then you are not as sensible as you think.

You want another go?

I'm not looking for a fight with you,as far as it goes I tend to like your posts.

There's been more than a few posts on here moaning about PC and you've made the point about why should we treat women differently than men.

The point is that men are far more likely to harm women than vice versa, we all know that. It's a bit like the racism point - there will be examples of black people being racist but until they predominantly hold all the power then it's a bit hard for a white male to complain about mistreatment :greengrin

You're right that threatening someone is wrong, either way. But it is far more loaded when it's a male threatening a woman and that's what we have to counter.

Scouse Hibee
03-04-2017, 10:45 PM
I'm not looking for a fight with you,as far as it goes I tend to like your posts.

There's been more than a few posts on here moaning about PC and you've made the point about why should we treat women differently than men.

The point is that men are far more likely to harm women than vice versa, we all know that. It's a bit like the racism point - there will be examples of black people being racist but until they predominantly hold all the power then it's a bit hard for a white male to complain about mistreatment :greengrin

You're right that threatening someone is wrong, either way. But it is far more loaded when it's a male threatening a woman and that's what we have to counter.

Okay fair enough, I see were you are coming from but even the suggestion of this being a threat from Moyes is total nonsense don't you think?
I realise the sensitivity these days around what people say and especially who they say it to but this instance to me seems to be a ridiculous over reaction from folk who like to choose to be offended.

silverhibee
03-04-2017, 11:10 PM
It was a comment many folk make in jest, absolute madness to see him vilified for it.

She even has a wee laugh about it when he says it, she didn't look offended by it, a bit banter, now he is having to apologise for it, what a joke.

Mibbes Aye
03-04-2017, 11:13 PM
Okay fair enough, I see were you are coming from but even the suggestion of this being a threat from Moyes is total nonsense don't you think?
I realise the sensitivity these days around what people say and especially who they say it to but this instance to me seems to be a ridiculous over reaction from folk who like to choose to be offended.

Yeah,I think it's a fine line.

There are people who make this an industry and will claim someone is being put down at the slightest excuse.

I also think that there's a bigger crowd who will claim that's happening when it's not.

Unless you've been in an oppressed group I think it's hard to appreciate it.

On here, the only time I've seen serious indignation is after an away game at Ibrox. For a lot of folk on here I suspect it's the first and only time they will feel they've been treated like second-class citizens.

Imagine feeling like that on a daily basis?

silverhibee
03-04-2017, 11:15 PM
I'm thinking I need to delete my post on the "square go" thread about wanting to have a square go with Anne Budge.

:tee hee:

Time For Heroes
03-04-2017, 11:41 PM
To be honest I read it and thought he was having banter, seen the incident on the news last night and actually think he comes across a bit of a prick.
Bit weird to say it twice, whilst off air, I dunno I don't usually get offended easily but it didn't sit well.
To put it into context, if he had spoken yo my wife like that I'd be giving him a slap.

NAE NOOKIE
04-04-2017, 12:48 AM

From my POV I'm still struggling to see the sexist angle to this incident ..... if Moyes had threatened to hit the reporter because she was a woman then I could see the sexist angle ... but what he said was 'I could give you a slap in spite of the fact that you are a woman' or words to that effect, the way Moyes said what he did clearly showed he didn't have the slightest intention of hitting the reporter and nobody with a brain could seriously think he did intend to ........ hell, even if he had actually hit her I'm struggling to see how that could be classed as sexist if you want to be totally pedantic about it .... the threat was to hit her because of the questions she had asked, not because she was a woman.

The inference of sexism can therefor only be that to say that his statement that he would hit the reporter 'in spite of the fact that she was a woman' was sexist because its discriminatory to infer that a person should be exempted from physical violence just because they are female, which is what he did. If that's what the FA or whoever are trying to say then the world has gone nuts.

If I'm wrong in this perhaps someone can point out to me what the 'sexist' angle to the incident is :dunno:

NAE NOOKIE
04-04-2017, 12:52 AM
Possibly a bit dinosaurish to refer to a grown woman as a girl.

FFS mate ..... I'm 57 years old, any female under 50 is a 'girl' to me :greengrin anyway, women refer to themselves as 'girls' all the time .... cant say I've ever heard any of my significant others over the years say ... I'm going out with the women on Saturday night.

AgentDaleCooper
04-04-2017, 12:54 AM

there's the bandwagon aspect, but there's also just the fact that the media are awful and would never let a potential field day like this go un-milked.

Forza Fred
04-04-2017, 12:59 AM

Dunno where I'd be without my PC.

Much easier to use than this I Pad

Nakedmanoncrack
04-04-2017, 01:35 AM
To be honest I read it and thought he was having banter, seen the incident on the news last night and actually think he comes across a bit of a prick.
Bit weird to say it twice, whilst off air, I dunno I don't usually get offended easily but it didn't sit well.
To put it into context, if he had spoken yo my wife like that I'd be giving him a slap.

:agree:

Haven't been following this so had to seek out the video to see what it was about, he comes across as a twat.
Call me what you like but I can't see much merit in 'banter' that involves a man 'jokingly' threatening to slap a woman.

Mibbes Aye
04-04-2017, 02:54 AM
From my POV I'm still struggling to see the sexist angle to this incident ..... if Moyes had threatened to hit the reporter because she was a woman then I could see the sexist angle ... but what he said was 'I could give you a slap in spite of the fact that you are a woman' or words to that effect, the way Moyes said what he did clearly showed he didn't have the slightest intention of hitting the reporter and nobody with a brain could seriously think he did intend to ........ hell, even if he had actually hit her I'm struggling to see how that could be classed as sexist if you want to be totally pedantic about it .... the threat was to hit her because of the questions she had asked, not because she was a woman.

The inference of sexism can therefor only be that to say that his statement that he would hit the reporter 'in spite of the fact that she was a woman' was sexist because its discriminatory to infer that a person should be exempted from physical violence just because they are female, which is what he did. If that's what the FA or whoever are trying to say then the world has gone nuts.

If I'm wrong in this perhaps someone can point out to me what the 'sexist' angle to the incident is :dunno:

Moyes is a public persona and with that comes responsibility.

Three questions, NN.

Is it okay to tell a woman that she deserves a slapping?

Second question, how many men have been hospitalised as a result of domestic violence and how many women?

Finally, Moyes would have worded his statement to a male reporter differently, wouldn't he?

The problem is male violence on women isn't a joke,it's a serious problem. It's not about PC or sexism, it's really just about women ending up in A+E or on a slab in the morgue. And it happens on a daily basis. And anything that doesn't refute it just helps it happen.

Peevemor
04-04-2017, 05:36 AM

Three questions, NN.

He didn't though, did he?

Second question, how many men have been hospitalised as a result of domestic violence and how many women?

Is the reporter his wife?

Finally, Moyes would have worded his statement to a male reporter differently, wouldn't he?

It was hardly a statement.

The problem is male violence on women isn't a joke,it's a serious problem. It's not about PC or sexism, it's really just about women ending up in A+E or on a slab in the morgue. And it happens on a daily basis. And anything that doesn't refute it just helps it happen.

I know that in the past I've mad similar jokes. I have only done so because the people that I'm with know that I'd never hit a woman. OK it's bad patter, but I think Moyes made the gag from a similar position of certainty.

Had it been Stan Collymore, for example, then that would have been a completely different matter.

lapsedhibee
04-04-2017, 07:00 AM
FFS mate ..... I'm 57 years old, any female under 50 is a 'girl' to me :greengrin anyway, women refer to themselves as 'girls' all the time .... cant say I've ever heard any of my significant others over the years say ... I'm going out with the women on Saturday night.

True. But sometimes words are ok when used by members of a group and not, or less so, by others. See N-word, Y-word, blablabla. And you're looking down on an adult male if you call him 'boy' (or George, unless his name is George). (http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2008/04/15/understanding-why-you-dont-call-a-black-man-a-boy/)

The Modfather
04-04-2017, 07:13 AM

The point is that men are far more likely to harm women than vice versa, we all know that. It's a bit like the racism point - {B} there will be examples of black people being racist but until they predominantly hold all the power then it's a bit hard for a white male to complain about mistreatment :greengrin {B}

Smiley face or not, what nonsense. If someone is the victim of racism, regardless of the race of the victim and perpetrator then they have every right to complain. The historical context means nothing, racism in any form is racism.

Edit, you'll see the bit I've tried to quote but my Luddite phone capabilities hinder me.

HIBERNIAN-0762
04-04-2017, 08:17 AM
You can't fart in football nowadays without the "Let's Kick Out Farting" brigade are after you.

JDHibs
04-04-2017, 08:22 AM
Its banter between 2 people.

Its an absolute disgrace that his name is being dragged threw the mud because of this. The woman spoke to her bosses and said she wasnt offended and didnt want to take it any further, yet the English FA now want an explanation.

Its a joke. Its even being called Sexist. How can saying you would give someone a slap, even a women sexist??? IF anything hes treating genders the same.

Too many internet heroes nowadays looking to bring people down!

Pathetic human beings.

Brightside
04-04-2017, 09:13 AM
They are both laughing and joking during the exchange. Its clearly not serious and should not be jumped upon as sexism.

Thecat23
04-04-2017, 09:16 AM
You can't fart in football nowadays without the "Let's Kick Out Farting" brigade are after you.

I know, something just stinks about all this.

easty
04-04-2017, 09:38 AM

Three questions, NN.

Come on. Your post is tragic. It's ***** like this that makes a non-event (what happened with Moyes) into something/anything at all.

Moyes didn't tell the girl (sorry...women, cos apparently you can't say girl now, it's demeaning and offensive :confused:) she deserved a slap.

Your final point...well...aye, Moyes wouldn't have said "you still might get a slap even though you're a women" if he was talking to a guy, cos it wouldn't have made sense. Obviously.

David Moyes has, as far as I'm aware, never hospitalised a women, or put one on a slab in the morgue.

Since90+2
04-04-2017, 09:42 AM
What an absolute nonsense this is. If you listen to the audio its clearly meant in jest rather than a literal thread to hit her.

I just wish some people in the media would tell it like it is instead of worrying about the backlash from the PC Brigade.

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-04-2017, 09:52 AM
Moyes is an experienced EPL Manager and he knows how these media press briefings work. As his team are at the foot of the league and are more or less down, he must have known that anything other than positives would get twisted. He has to be at fault for this because if he didn't say it, then there is no story.

sleeping giant
04-04-2017, 09:57 AM

Post like this make me want to burn down the Internet and stop reading forums

sleeping giant
04-04-2017, 09:58 AM
Come on. Your post is tragic. It's ***** like this that makes a non-event (what happened with Moyes) into something/anything at all.

Moyes didn't tell the girl (sorry...women, cos apparently you can't say girl now, it's demeaning and offensive :confused:) she deserved a slap.

Your finale point...well...aye, Moyes wouldn't have said "you still might get a slap even though you're a women" if he was talking to a guy, cos it wouldn't have made sense. Obviously.

David Moyes has, as far as I'm aware, never hospitalised a women, or put one on a slab in the morgue.

:agree:

Tragic post indeed.

Bishop Hibee
04-04-2017, 10:00 AM
When I think of the male-female banter in my current workplace and previous ones, it's a wonder me and my past and present colleagues are still in work. Clearly Moyes and the reporter are having a bit of fun and in no way is Moyes suggesting he would actually slap her. Utter nonsense.

snooky
04-04-2017, 10:01 AM
Moyes is an experienced EPL Manager and he knows how these media press briefings work. As his team are at the foot of the league and are more or less down, he must have known that anything other than positives would get twisted. He has to be at fault for this because if he didn't say it, then there is no story.

Thousands of people put into hardship because of benefit cuts and this light-hearted quip steals the headlines.
I know who's doing all the laughing here.

easty
04-04-2017, 10:01 AM

You think saying things like that is ok? Arson isn't funny. Do you know how many people are injured by fire...

I DEMAND AN APOLOGY!

:greengrin

Andy74
04-04-2017, 10:22 AM

Yep, correct. Absolute nonsense to make the link.

JDHibs
04-04-2017, 10:26 AM
Now reading that a female agent and womens writer has suggested that Moyes should "think about his position", i.e resign.

Ridiculous!

Time For Heroes
04-04-2017, 10:31 AM
Moyes' admission of wrongdoing and "deep regret" shows that he himself believes he's done something wrong. No?
I personally don't think it was threatening, however he did step over the line, he's apologied and she's accepted that should be it done.
For me the issue is this, if i said something like this in my workplace and got caught doing so I'd be in trouble, regardless if it was banter between me and a collegue.
Because neither of us are offended by it doesn't mean that anyone overhearing it wont be offended.
We should draw a line under it imo, its a mistake which he has apologised for.

easty
04-04-2017, 10:38 AM
Moyes' admission of wrongdoing and "deep regret" shows that he himself believes he's done something wrong. No?
I personally don't think it was threatening, however he did step over the line, he's apologied and she's accepted that should be it done.
For me the issue is this, if i said something like this in my workplace and got caught doing so I'd be in trouble, regardless if it was banter between me and a collegue.
Because neither of us are offended by it doesn't mean that anyone overhearing it wont be offended.

No. It shows that the "I am offended brigade" have been out in force, and for public relations sake, he's been pressured to apologise.

I'm 100% sure that David Moyes is more sorry about that shambles of an apology statement, than he is about joking around with the interviewer about a slap. 1000% sure actually.

Thecat23
04-04-2017, 10:39 AM
No. It shows that the "I am offended brigade" have been out in force, and for public relations sake, he's been pressured to apologise.

I'm 100% sure that David Moyes is more sorry about that shambles of an apology statement, than he is about joking around with the interviewer about a slap. 1000% sure actually.

Makes two of us.

Time For Heroes
04-04-2017, 11:26 AM

By that logic you could say that the interviewer accepted his apology based on his position and didn't want to cause controversy by making a big deal about it.

hibsbollah
04-04-2017, 11:33 AM
I don't think what Moyes said was sexist.

But what's happening now is a load of folk who have their own narrow minded wee axe to grind about how 'feminism has gone too far', 'look at the PC brigade gone mad', have something to get outraged about and are going on a self righteous backlash.

I call them the 'Outraged at PC Outrage Brigade'.

HibernianJK
04-04-2017, 11:37 AM

You'd be in trouble even if your colleague took it in jest and said they weren't offended? With all due respect I highly doubt that.

Time For Heroes
04-04-2017, 11:46 AM
You'd be in trouble even if your colleague took it in jest and said they weren't offended? With all due respect I highly doubt that.

Why do you doubt that? If i made a threat of violence to a collegue and someone felt it was out of line, then I would get pulled up for that.
Put it another way, I work in England (Im Scottish) i get all the Groundskeeper Willy, Trainspotting, Jock nonsense nearly everyday, for me its banter and i give as good as I get, what happens if another Scottish person overhears and takes offence? That person would be pulled up for it even though it was banter.

Mantis Toboggan
04-04-2017, 11:48 AM
I don't think what Moyes said was sexist.

But what's happening now is a load of folk who have their own narrow minded wee axe to grind about how 'feminism has gone too far', 'look at the PC brigade gone mad', have something to get outraged about and are going on a self righteous backlash.

I call them the 'Outraged at PC Outrage Brigade'.

Definitely. Pretty tedious and all been done before.
Worry is that all this pish affects attitudes to actual sexism in football.

DaveF
04-04-2017, 11:48 AM
So if Jason Cummings tries to chip a penalty in the upcoming semi, misses and Neil Lennon is quoted afterwards as saying "I think I'll kill him if he does that again", then I suppose NL will be up for an attempted murder charge or similar shortly after?

hibsbollah
04-04-2017, 11:50 AM

You're wrong to doubt it. A comment can still be offensive even if the target of the comment isn't obviously offended by it. That's certainly the way employment law would look at it. In lots of cases people don't want to complain for fear of losing their job, so they don't.

easty
04-04-2017, 11:53 AM
Worry is that all this pish affects attitudes to actual sexism in football.

Nope.

Mantis Toboggan
04-04-2017, 12:00 PM
Nope.

Great, thats settled then

HibernianJK
04-04-2017, 12:02 PM
You're wrong to doubt it. A comment can still be offensive even if the target of the comment isn't obviously offended by it. That's certainly the way employment law would look at it. In lots of cases people don't want to complain for fear of losing their job, so they don't.

Fair enough. But would that not be actually along the lines of something like sexism/racism/antisemitism rather than a light hearted joke which is none of these?

easty
04-04-2017, 12:06 PM
Great, thats settled then

Yep

hibsbollah
04-04-2017, 12:08 PM
Nope.

Fair enough. But would that not be actually along the lines of something like sexism/racism/antisemitism rather than a light hearted joke which is none of these?

Depends how you define 'light hearted joke'. Personally I'd be mortified if I was Moyes and I let that comment slip out because of how it could be perceived. Violence against women is a serious business. But apology made, everyone should leave it at that.

IWasThere2016
04-04-2017, 12:14 PM
As much as I dislike the man and it was an utterly stupid thing to say - he has apologised.

From what I saw, the apology was sincere and accepted accordingly.

Time For Heroes
04-04-2017, 12:20 PM
Depends how you define 'light hearted joke'. Personally I'd be mortified if I was Moyes and I let that comment slip out because of how it could be perceived. Violence against women is a serious business. But apology made, everyone should leave it at that.

This.

Andy74
04-04-2017, 12:35 PM
So if Jason Cummings tries to chip a penalty in the upcoming semi, misses and Neil Lennon is quoted afterwards as saying "I think I'll kill him if he does that again", then I suppose NL will be up for an attempted murder charge or similar shortly after?

If Jason does that again I will beat Lennon to the murder charge. Aye Jason, that is a threat. 😉

Elephant Stone
04-04-2017, 12:36 PM
Having listened to the clip I don't think it's a major issue but I do think it was unpleasant, bordering on creepy.

Dan, 25, Edinburgh
PC Offended Brigade, 2nd Division.

Superfurry72
04-04-2017, 12:39 PM
If I suggested to any of my female colleagues at work that "they might get a little slap" because I objected to something they'd done or said then I'd quite rightly be in trouble. No matter the context, it certainly wouldn't be written off as harmless 'banter'.

A lot of you are saying it is done in a light-hearted manner - well, for starters, it wasn't funny, was totally uncalled for and was clearly done in a passive/aggressive way. The female reporter did indeed laugh, but more in a nervous way than as if she had been tickled by what Moyes has said. For that reason, and the fact he would never say that sort of of thing to a male reporter, I deem Moyes' comments to be sexist, not to mention downright idiotic. Unfortunately it's the sort of thing that rears its ugly head in the game from time to time, although I would say football has made good strides in this respect.

He has apologised and the reporter has accepted his apology, so that's good. But I don't get why some people equate being offended by this (as I was) as making you a member of some right-on "PC brigade". It's simply about treating people equally, and with respect.

lapsedhibee
04-04-2017, 01:23 PM

It's not that confusing, sonny. :wink:

Pete
04-04-2017, 03:24 PM
Moyes played for the Pars against us in the Skol Cup Final in 1991.

We gave them a good bitch-slapping that day.

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-04-2017, 04:12 PM
Thousands of people put into hardship because of benefit cuts and this light-hearted quip steals the headlines.
I know who's doing all the laughing here.
Perhaps. But the EPL is not in touch with reality. Moyes has apologised and that should be end of. On SSN now they are discussing his apology for no other reason than to rake over this all over again. This week in the EPL pantomime Moyes is the villan.

NAE NOOKIE
04-04-2017, 04:45 PM

Three questions, NN.

Its not OK to tell anybody they deserve a slapping ..... I still don't see how its sexist to threaten a woman with one, perhaps misogynistic, perhaps even bullying, but not sexist.

The point at question isn't about domestic violence, or even violence against women in general ... its whether or not threatening to hit a woman in the same circumstances where you might threaten a man with the same is sexist .... in fact the accusation of sexism here appears to be the inference by Moyes in how he phrased his statement that he was well aware that its unacceptable to hit a female because of her sex ..... that appears to be where the sexism angle comes from here. If its not I've yet to have it explained to me what the accusation of 'sexism' is about.

I have no idea, perhaps he would have ...... but what he inferred, in a clearly jocular manner, was that he would have hit a male reporter in the same circumstances .... whatever it was it was clearly a tongue in cheek comment and the lady in question seems to have been happy to treat it as such .... in fact of all the people making a big deal about this she appears to not be one of them.

That's the point though ..... in how he said what he did ( and 'how' he said it is important to this matter ) Moyes clearly far from encouraging violence against women reinforced the widely held view by most sane people that violence against women is unacceptable ... if not in the actual words he used, but in the way he used them, its clear to anybody with a bit of common sense that his actual view on this subject is that it is unacceptable for a man to hit a woman.

The way some folk are jumping on this is starting to remind me of the case of Derek Bentley ..... its good job Moyes never said he was going to 'let her have it' or they would be stringing the poor bugger up.

To suggest anybody defending Moyes in this particular situation is encouraging violence against women is as ridiculous as suggesting what Moyes did falls under the heading of 'sexist' .... at least in my opinion.

lapsedhibee
04-04-2017, 05:09 PM
Moyes clearly far from encouraging violence against women reinforced the widely held view by most sane people that violence against women is unacceptable

Bit of a stretch to argue that someone saying "I'd hit you even though you're a woman" is promoting the idea that violence against women is unacceptable.

To suggest anybody defending Moyes in this particular situation is encouraging violence against women is as ridiculous as suggesting what Moyes did falls under the heading of 'sexist' .... at least in my opinion.

Agree with you that it's hard to see how threatening women is sexist. But but but ... (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=is+it+sexist+to+refer+to+women+as+girls%3 F&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=&gfe_rd=cr&ei=iNHjWN2kBrSn8wfO-KLwCg&gws_rd=ssl#spf=1) :wink:

Scott Allan Key
04-04-2017, 05:41 PM

That certainly appears to be what is happening here .... if Moyes had made the same threat to a male reporter nobody would have batted an eyelid and it would have been laughed off as banter .... the only difference here is that the reporter was a woman and as far as I can make out the issue isn't that Moyes in a light hearted manner threatened to hit a reporter, but that he suggested he couldn't because she was female ....... if that's now what is considered sexist then heaven help women everywhere.

With extra measure he could have offered to kick her in the balls as well, if she was a man.

NAE NOOKIE
04-04-2017, 05:55 PM
Bit of a stretch to argue that someone saying "I'd hit you even though you're a woman" is promoting the idea that violence against women is unacceptable.

Agree with you that it's hard to see how threatening women is sexist. But but but ... (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=is+it+sexist+to+refer+to+women+as+girls%3 F&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=&gfe_rd=cr&ei=iNHjWN2kBrSn8wfO-KLwCg&gws_rd=ssl#spf=1) :wink:

It would help if you didn't quote parts of my posts out of context mate ............ everything you have quoted here is part of a larger statement in which I explained the above statements.

blackpoolhibs
04-04-2017, 07:14 PM
I knew as soon as we started letting women come to football, this sort of thing would happen.

3pm
04-04-2017, 08:41 PM
Leicester fans singing to Moyes 'you're getting slapped in the morning'.

Speedy
04-04-2017, 09:52 PM
If I suggested to any of my female colleagues at work that "they might get a little slap" because I objected to something they'd done or said then I'd quite rightly be in trouble. No matter the context, it certainly wouldn't be written off as harmless 'banter'.

A lot of you are saying it is done in a light-hearted manner - well, for starters, it wasn't funny, was totally uncalled for and was clearly done in a passive/aggressive way. The female reporter did indeed laugh, but more in a nervous way than as if she had been tickled by what Moyes has said. For that reason, and the fact he would never say that sort of of thing to a male reporter, I deem Moyes' comments to be sexist, not to mention downright idiotic. Unfortunately it's the sort of thing that rears its ugly head in the game from time to time, although I would say football has made good strides in this respect.

He has apologised and the reporter has accepted his apology, so that's good. But I don't get why some people equate being offended by this (as I was) as making you a member of some right-on "PC brigade". It's simply about treating people equally, and with respect.

Is that a fact? I have no doubt male managers have told other males in football that they are close to a slap - both jokingly and not so jokingly.

Speedy
04-04-2017, 09:53 PM
Interestingly or perhaps not...I was in work 5 minutes this morning before overhearing two women chatting, one said 'well you know what men are like'.

Thoughts?

Scouse Hibee
04-04-2017, 09:58 PM
Interestingly or perhaps not...I was in work 5 minutes this morning before overhearing two women chatting, one said 'well you know what men are like'.

Thoughts?

Meaningless everyday conversation commonplace about both genders are my thoughts.

blackpoolhibs
05-04-2017, 06:39 AM

Thoughts?

Its just normal day to day things that folk say off the cuff. Its only really women who make a drama out of these types of things. :wink:

snooky
26-04-2017, 09:56 AM
As I said elsewhere, it's currently very fashionable to be offended and the fact that Moyes said it in a jocular way, the lady in question didn't think anything of it, it didn't happen at the weekend, yet some metropolitan Londoners heard of it and decided to throw their hands up in horror, just makes me wonder what it is about these people.

That's why I avoid the Grauniad.

From BBC news website ...
"Sunderland manager David Moyes has been charged by the Football Association after telling BBC reporter Vicki Sparks she might "get a slap"."

I really worry about where this ott pc enforcement is going. We're losing freedom of speech inch by inch, day by day.
This is far more threatening to society than a light-hearted comment taken out of context by touchy third parties.
While I would agree that we should continue to educate people on political correctness, this type of witch hunt actually builds up resentments and is therefore counter-productive to the problem.
We're heading for the day when the only thing you will be allowed to say is "Yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir".

snooky
26-04-2017, 09:59 AM
Its just normal day to day things that folk say off the cuff. Its only really women who make a drama out of these types of things. :wink:
That is very sexist, BH. Aren't men allowed to make a drama out of things? :stirrer: :wink: