PDA

View Full Version : Andy maclaren on sportsound.

Babyshamble
20-03-2017, 07:11 PM
Anybody listening to this ? Unbelievable what that boy went through.

bigwheel
20-03-2017, 07:16 PM
yes, coming over very authentic and honest...good on him

Ronniekirk
20-03-2017, 07:17 PM
Anybody listening to this ? Unbelievable what that boy went through.

No but have heard it before He has been through the wringer as they say and come out the pther end Has he not now turned his life around ,and is involved in coaching youth projects or something similiar

Wembley67
20-03-2017, 07:20 PM
Bloody good player on his day, tormented us more than most that's for sure.

Pretty Boy
20-03-2017, 07:22 PM
Sure he was linked with us just after his 2nd spell at United. Cracking player on his day.

I read his book and what he went through is horrible. Deserves huge credit for turning his life round and helping others. Seems one of the good guys.

hibee62
20-03-2017, 07:24 PM
Sure he was linked with us just after his 2nd spell at United. Cracking player on his day.

I read his book and what he went through is horrible. Deserves huge credit for turning his life round and helping others. Seems one of the good guys.
He had a trial with us in 2003, played in the ill-fated festival cup match and played will IIRC. Wasn't offered a deal in the end though.

Iggy Pope

Appeared as a trialist for us if I'm right.

Babyshamble

Said he had a offer from Hibs but chose killie cos it was closer to his home.fair play.

3pm

He definitely played for us in a friendly / trial at Easter Road. Don't think we could afford him. Was about 2002/2003 when we were at our lowest ebb.

bigwheel

he did pre season with us, played a game or too, did very well....

i think petrie didn't do a deal with him for some reason....he was hurt by it..

ColinNish
20-03-2017, 07:26 PM
Is this guess what happened to him or is anyone gonna give us folk that didn't hear the show a clue? 🤔

Onceinawhile
20-03-2017, 07:28 PM
Played for us away at Preston in a friendly. Must have been 2004. Drew 1-1.

3pm
20-03-2017, 07:30 PM
https://twitter.com/jimspencesport/status/843906330343735298

Pretty Boy
20-03-2017, 07:31 PM
Is this guess what happened to him or is anyone gonna give us folk that didn't hear the show a clue? 🤔

He had issues with drugs but later admitted it was linked to abuse he had suffered as a child. He also attempted suicide after retiring from the game and had issues with depression.

Babyshamble
20-03-2017, 07:31 PM

To cut a long story short.,he struggled with drug addiction & alcoholism throughout his career.failed a drug test whilst playing for reading.triwd to commit suicide & few times.was abused as a child.now spends his time goimg round deprived areas of Glasgow coaching kids for free.

Betty Boop
20-03-2017, 07:33 PM
A victim of sexual abuse, and addicted to drink and drugs. A brilliant heartfelt interview, so moving. :top marks:top marks

ColinNish
20-03-2017, 07:33 PM
Cheers guys. 👍

Scorrie
20-03-2017, 07:39 PM
His autobiography is very honest and well worth a read. A cracking fitbaw player and by all acccounts his work in Glasgow is really good working with kids affected by drugs and other serious issues.

grunt
20-03-2017, 07:45 PM
https://twitter.com/jimspencesport/status/843906330343735298"You are blocked from following @JimSpenceSport and viewing @JimSpenceSport's Tweets. "

3pm
20-03-2017, 08:10 PM
"You are blocked from following @JimSpenceSport and viewing @JimSpenceSport's Tweets. "

You must have upset him at some point.

Hibby Bairn
20-03-2017, 08:23 PM
To cut a long story short.,he struggled with drug addiction & alcoholism throughout his career.failed a drug test whilst playing for reading.triwd to commit suicide & few times.was abused as a child.now spends his time goimg round deprived areas of Glasgow coaching kids for free.

He does do it for free (to the kids). But it is funded. So not really "free" as such. Not voluntary like a guy doing school football for no payment.

He/the charity does good work though. Just not for "free".

Niffy
20-03-2017, 08:49 PM
A victim of sexual abuse, and addicted to drink and drugs. A brilliant heartfelt interview, so moving. :top marks:top marks

Makes me feel a wee bit bad when I called him c*** s***** at a game , but to be fair he turned round and called me a f***** d***

I was fair taken aback.

Michael
20-03-2017, 09:40 PM
"You are blocked from following @JimSpenceSport and viewing @JimSpenceSport's Tweets. "

What did you say?

grunt
20-03-2017, 09:43 PM
What did you say?Couple of years ago, there was some event, can't remember what.
Leeann commented on it, then 3 hours later Budge passed comment.
Spence tweeted how great it was that Budge had said something.
I pointed out that Leeann had also commented, much earlier.
He said he hadn't noticed.
I said as a journalist I'd expect him to check these things, specially where he seemed to be implying that Budge was wonderful and Leeann had been silent.

#blocked.

Deansy
20-03-2017, 10:13 PM
Googled Andy McLaren to refresh my memory - team that comes directly after his name is Rangers, he never played for them did he ?, Wiki does mention Dundee Utd, Reading, Partick Thistle etc but not them or is it wrong ?

Babyshamble
20-03-2017, 10:16 PM
He does do it for free (to the kids). But it is funded. So not really "free" as such. Not voluntary like a guy doing school football for no payment.

Thanks for clearing that up mate.nice one 👍

Is It On....
20-03-2017, 11:27 PM

Should make that pr#ck Lukaku listen to that after he felt Everton were taking him for granted because they thought he would sign a £33m 5 year deal!!!

The_Exile
21-03-2017, 01:40 AM
Googled Andy McLaren to refresh my memory - team that comes directly after his name is Rangers, he never played for them did he ?, Wiki does mention Dundee Utd, Reading, Partick Thistle etc but not them or is it wrong ?

That's Alan McLaren you're likely thinking of. Ex yam and Rangers player.

Stewboy
21-03-2017, 05:48 AM

Jeezo, don't try and put the guy down too much.

Let me guess, you coach school football for free?

Hibby Bairn
21-03-2017, 07:59 AM
Jeezo, don't try and put the guy down too much.

Let me guess, you coach school football for free?

No mate I don't. As I said the work he/they are doing is brilliant. But if we want it done for free for all kids whose parents can't afford subs then we either need big funding or a different model.

MWHIBBIES
21-03-2017, 08:13 AM
Should make that pr#ck Lukaku listen to that after he felt Everton were taking him for granted because they thought he would sign a £33m 5 year deal!!!How is that even slightly relevant?

Steve-O
21-03-2017, 08:18 AM

Definitely played at Easter Road for us too.

Big_Franck
21-03-2017, 08:28 AM
Missed the show but that twitter clip sounded interesting. Seems to be doing some good work. I just ordered his book, its available for less than £3 including postage on amazon and ebay. Good player in his day as well btw, tricky, unpredictable winger that was good to watch.

green with envy
21-03-2017, 09:25 AM

Although i was there and not doubting you, i don't remember him playing in that game.

PS: Did Scott Brown score our goal?

Fisherrow Harp
21-03-2017, 09:46 AM
That's Alan McLaren you're likely thinking of. Ex yam and Rangers player.

That's who I thought at first tbh, saw him running past Musselburgh race course yesterday one for the prat thread. Would like to hear that interview!

patlowe
21-03-2017, 11:24 AM
Brilliant interview - the story about going to a restaurant for the first time is so telling and shows the advantages and disadvantages children can experience depending on their background. He has clearly been to some dark places in working through and understanding his issues and his passion for helping children from deprived backgrounds is genuinely inspirational.

tamig
21-03-2017, 12:27 PM
Definitely played at Easter Road for us too.

I'm sure he played 2 or 3 games for us and looked good. I was disappointed he didn't stay.

JimBHibees
21-03-2017, 02:25 PM
Just listened to it very powerful stuff. Good on him for coming back from some of his issues and focusing his time on helping kids from poorer areas. Totally agree about the costs of playing football for kids as can be alot for some.

Onceinawhile
21-03-2017, 02:41 PM
Although i was there and not doubting you, i don't remember him playing in that game.

PS: Did Scott Brown score our goal?

Think it was tam mcmanus. Then they equalised pretty late on?

heidtheba
21-03-2017, 06:58 PM
I'm pretty sure that Bobby Williamson paid either Maclaren's wages, or his travelling expenses, out of his own pocket when he was a trialist for us. Williamson and Maclaren seemed keen on making it permanent but the deal didn't happen.