PDA

View Full Version : winning the league

houstonhibbee
05-03-2017, 06:50 PM
By my calculation if we win all our six games before Hampden on April 22 which includes Dundee Utd, Morton and Falkirk, we would be at least 9 points plus better goal difference ahead of any of them with three games left. Assuming one of then wins all games apart from v Hibs.

Unlikely but possible

We have

Dundee Utd away
Dumbarton home
Falkirk home
Dunfermline away
Morton away
QOS home
Aberdeen cup

hibbysam
05-03-2017, 06:52 PM
By my calculation if we win all our six games before Hampden on April 22 which includes Dundee Utd, Morton and Falkirk, we would be at least 9 points plus better goal difference ahead of any of them with three games left. Assuming one of then wins all games apart from v Hibs.

Unlikely but possible

We have

Dundee Utd away
Dumbarton home
Falkirk home
Dunfermline away
Morton away
QOS home
Aberdeen cup

One at a time, I will be delighted if we beat united on Friday to go 9 clear. Time to put the cup on the back burner and focus 100% on Friday, not 2/3/6/7 weeks in advance. Huge chance to put a final marker down.

Heisenberg
05-03-2017, 06:53 PM
We've got Morton at home in the midweek after we play Falkirk as well. That looks a tough run of games but one we ultimately should be winning the majority of. Hope it's as good as sewn up by the time we get to Hampden.

Sir David Gray
05-03-2017, 06:55 PM

Unlikely but possible

We have

Dundee Utd away
Dumbarton home
Falkirk home
Dunfermline away
Morton away
QOS home
Aberdeen cup

We've got seven games before the semi final as we also play Morton at home which was rearranged from yesterday.

houstonhibbee
05-03-2017, 06:57 PM

Unlikely but possible

We have

Dundee Utd away
Dumbarton home
Falkirk home
Dunfermline away
Morton away
QOS home
Aberdeen cup

We would be 9 ahead of Morton, 10 ahead of dundee Utd and 12 ahead of falkirk

add in the rearranged midweek game at home v Morton and then the league would be won before the semi.

so, an exciting six weeks ahead and all to play for as they say

over to Neil and the squad.........

Sir David Gray
05-03-2017, 07:10 PM

Unlikely but possible

We have

Dundee Utd away
Dumbarton home
Falkirk home
Dunfermline away
Morton away
QOS home
Aberdeen cup

If we win all seven games between now and the semi final and Dundee Utd, Falkirk and Morton win all their games except for the ones against us, we'll be seven points clear with 3 games left.

Sounds so simple! :greengrin

Sir David Gray
05-03-2017, 07:11 PM
We would be 9 ahead of Morton, 10 ahead of dundee Utd and 12 ahead of falkirk

add in the rearranged midweek game at home v Morton and then the league would be won before the semi.

so, an exciting six weeks ahead and all to play for as they say

over to Neil and the squad.........

Not quite sure where you get your sums from but that's not quite right.

SlickShoes
05-03-2017, 07:11 PM
Every game from now right through the semi final should be treated like a cup final, each one is the most important game of the season, we are at crunch time and I really hope the players can shake the usual hibs post January form and give the fans what they deserve this season and thats the league title signed sealed and delivered in plenty of time.

Lago
05-03-2017, 07:16 PM
One at a time, I will be delighted if we beat united on Friday to go 9 clear. Time to put the cup on the back burner and focus 100% on Friday, not 2/3/6/7 weeks in advance. Huge chance to put a final marker down.
Totally agree, don't fall into last season's trap & lose focus on the league. As Neil Lennon says time to park the bus where the cup is concerned & concentrating on winning the league.

MWHIBBIES
05-03-2017, 07:17 PM
4 wins 2 draws would be just fine, no chance those sides win all their games. All that matters is United on Friday, though. Aberdeen can wait.

Steve20
05-03-2017, 07:23 PM
League is the only thing that matters. Aberdeen game is the least important of our games coming up.

Fifehibby74
05-03-2017, 07:33 PM
Anyone see Falkirk as a real threat in league?

Glory Lurker
05-03-2017, 07:38 PM
We are entirely capable of winning all of these games, in fact all our league games this season. We'd be unplayable if we could repeat our Cup form. We can definitely do it, it's just a matter of playing our best. The team needs to be thinking only about the league, but playing like it's the cup.

houstonhibbee
05-03-2017, 07:40 PM
from the table as it stands

iwasthere1972
05-03-2017, 07:41 PM
Anyone see Falkirk as a real threat in league?

Only Houston.

Dashing Bob S
05-03-2017, 07:49 PM
St Mirren and Dunfermline are the form teams now, but neither is out of relegation danger so they will have a big say in who goes up and into the play-offs.

Our away fixture at East End Park could be a massive game.

But unwise to get ahead of ourselves. Dundee United on Friday is a huge game in the recent history of our club. Lose it and our indifferent run becomes a dire slump and pulls us right into the chasing pack without the momentum behind us. Win and we emphatically reassert ourselves in pole position.

Big L
05-03-2017, 07:50 PM
If we don't beat Dun Utd on Fri they plus Morton and Fal. will fancy their chances. We need Hanlon back soon as poss. Does anyone know if he's back in training yet?

houstonhibbee
05-03-2017, 07:52 PM
is this better?
We would be 9 ahead of Morton, 7 ahead of dundee Utd and 12 ahead of falkirk

I had assumed Dundee Utd losing game in hand vs St Mirren

G B Young
05-03-2017, 07:57 PM
A draw a Tannadice would be OK but hopefully we can go there with a winning mindset after the boost of reaching the cup semi-finals yet again.

The cup game is a long way off so we really need to forget about it for now and put everything into the league games. This time last year was when our league campaign unravelled badly and now is the time for Lennon to really prove his worth by ensuring the players go into the next few games with the steely resolve which has been lacking of late.

houstonhibbee
05-03-2017, 08:06 PM
We are entirely capable of winning all of these games, in fact all our league games this season. We'd be unplayable if we could repeat our Cup form. We can definitely do it, it's just a matter of playing our best. The team needs to be thinking only about the league, but playing like it's the cup.
That's just going to confuse them.........:greengrin

Sir David Gray
05-03-2017, 08:11 PM
is this better?
We would be 9 ahead of Morton, 7 ahead of dundee Utd and 12 ahead of falkirk

I had assumed Dundee Utd losing game in hand vs St Mirren

Still not quite right.

We would be 12 points ahead of Morton as well as we play them twice between now and the semi final.

If we win all of our matches and Dundee Utd, Falkirk and Morton win all of theirs except against us then the table will look like this, with 3 games left.

Hibs - 72
Dundee Utd - 65
Falkirk - 60
Morton - 60

cabbageandribs1875
05-03-2017, 08:12 PM
i wonder if that challenge cup final on 25th march could be a bit of a hinderance to both dundee utd and st.mirren, for different reasons

houstonhibbee
05-03-2017, 08:23 PM
Still not quite right.

We would be 12 points ahead of Morton as well as we play them twice between now and the semi final.

If we win all of our matches and Dundee Utd, Falkirk and Morton win all of theirs except against us then the table will look like this, with 3 games left.

Hibs - 72
Dundee Utd - 65
Falkirk - 60
Morton - 60
I agree however only one of the other teams can have that total. Its their maximums - as they play each other as well

Sir David Gray
05-03-2017, 08:42 PM
I agree however only one of the other teams can have that total. Its their maximums - as they play each other as well

That's true.

One thing's certain is that if we win our next seven matches, only Dundee Utd can still be in with a chance of winning the league.

houstonhibbee
05-03-2017, 08:50 PM
That's true.

One thing's certain is that if we win our next seven matches, only Dundee Utd can still be in with a chance of winning the league.

yes

lets hope for 3 pts on Friday to start with

if we do then could be full houses from now on at home

WhileTheChief..
05-03-2017, 09:05 PM
Everyone at the club is just as aware of how important each game is.

We'll probably drop a few more points along the way. Not as many as Utd etc though.

05-03-2017, 09:15 PM
Agree. Lets try and get this league sewn up as soon as possible so we can relax a bit and enjoy whatever is to be in the SC.

All aboard the hibee rollercoaster again :thumbsup:

Jim44
05-03-2017, 09:21 PM
We know that we can beat every team in the league, home and away, but because we're Hibs, we know it's not going to be smooth plain sailing.

Borderhibbie76
05-03-2017, 09:23 PM
We know that we can beat every team in the league, home and away, but because we're Hibs, we know it's not going to be smooth plain sailing.
You said it Jim...we never seem to do things the easy way. A win in Friday would be an awesome way to start the run in tho...come on Hibees let's get it done!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

lucky
05-03-2017, 09:26 PM
The league is all that maters I'm sick of playing in this league. The cup win was unbelievable, best day ever as a Hibs fan but promotion is the priority this season

NAE NOOKIE
06-03-2017, 02:49 AM
There are so many permutations its impossible to say how things will go in the next few weeks ...... Its as much about the form of the other teams as it is ours. Dundee Utd will be up for it on Friday, it is without a doubt their biggest game of the season, in fact this to them is as vital as it was to us when they came to Easter Road ...... In my opinion if we had lost that game it would really have knocked our confidence.

If we can somehow squeeze a win at Tannadice it will tip the scales massively in our favour psychologically over them even though we would still be far from mathematical certainties for the league ...... a draw would still be a good result, it will be one less game for Utd to make up the deficit with no ground lost. It would give hope to Falkirk they are still effectively 7 points behind if you count goal difference and have played a game more than us, but as can be seen below it would be foolish to count them out .... Like Dundee Utd Morton have a game in hand, but with an effective gap of 10 points if you count goal difference it would be a hell of an effort for them to reel us in.

At the weekend Falkirk are away to Ayr and Morton at home to QOTS .... on paper both should win, but its not guaranteed. The following week could be interesting .. we are at home to Dumbarton ... Dundee Utd are away to St Mirren on the Wednesday and then Raith Rovers on the Saturday ... Morton are at home to Falkirk, a draw in that game would be nice if we can beat Dumbarton.

Dundee Utd's last 5 league games ...... DDWLD ........ one win in 5 ......... 6 points

Falkirk's last 5 league games .............. WWDDW ..... two wins in 5 ........ 11 points

Morton's last 5 league games .............. WLWDD ...... two wins in 5 ........ 8 points

Hibs last 5 league games .................... WDDDL ....... one win in 5 .......... 6 points

Falkirk are clearly the form team at the moment and if they keep going at that rate we will be looking over our shoulder at them no doubt about it, our game against them the week after the Dumbarton game could be huge, if we have at least drawn with Utd and beaten Dumbarton a win over Falkirk would leave them with 7 games to overturn what at worst would be a 7 point gap.

If ... but ... maybe ................ bloody hell, this stuff is impossible.

houstonhibbee
06-03-2017, 03:30 AM
There are so many permutations its impossible to say how things will go in the next few weeks ...... Its as much about the form of the other teams as it is ours. Dundee Utd will be up for it on Friday, it is without a doubt their biggest game of the season, in fact this to them is as vital as it was to us when they came to Easter Road ...... In my opinion if we had lost that game it would really have knocked our confidence.

If we can somehow squeeze a win at Tannadice it will tip the scales massively in our favour psychologically over them even though we would still be far from mathematical certainties for the league ...... a draw would still be a good result, it will be one less game for Utd to make up the deficit with no ground lost. It would give hope to Falkirk they are still effectively 7 points behind if you count goal difference and have played a game more than us, but as can be seen below it would be foolish to count them out .... Like Dundee Utd Morton have a game in hand, but with an effective gap of 10 points if you count goal difference it would be a hell of an effort for them to reel us in.

At the weekend Falkirk are away to Ayr and Morton at home to QOTS .... on paper both should win, but its not guaranteed. The following week could be interesting .. we are at home to Dumbarton ... Dundee Utd are away to St Mirren on the Wednesday and then Raith Rovers on the Saturday ... Morton are at home to Falkirk, a draw in that game would be nice if we can beat Dumbarton.

Dundee Utd's last 5 league games ...... DDWLD ........ one win in 5 ......... 6 points

Falkirk's last 5 league games .............. WWDDW ..... two wins in 5 ........ 11 points

Morton's last 5 league games .............. WLWDD ...... two wins in 5 ........ 8 points

Hibs last 5 league games .................... WDDDL ....... one win in 5 .......... 6 points

Falkirk are clearly the form team at the moment and if they keep going at that rate we will be looking over our shoulder at them no doubt about it, our game against them the week after the Dumbarton game could be huge, if we have at least drawn with Utd and beaten Dumbarton a win over Falkirk would leave them with 7 games to overturn what at worst would be a 7 point gap.

If ... but ... maybe ................ bloody hell, this stuff is impossible.
Its a 4 horse race still and when the bottom team is reckoned to be Celtic's toughest challenge this season says it all...............how exciting is that:hibees

Borderhibbie76
06-03-2017, 11:49 AM
Am I right in saying if Mcginn gets called up for Scotland he would miss the Falkirk game at ER on 25th March?? If so lenny should surely be asking Strachan to leave him out. Our promotion is far more important than a meaningless Scotland match...we have no chance of qualifying now imo

WeeRussell
06-03-2017, 12:28 PM
Am I right in saying if Mcginn gets called up for Scotland he would miss the Falkirk game at ER on 25th March?? If so lenny should surely be asking Strachan to leave him out. Our promotion is far more important than a meaningless Scotland match...we have no chance of qualifying now imo

Can you honestly see Strachan announcing he's left McGinn out the Scotland squad as Lennon requested it and we "have no chance of qualifying now"?

Borderhibbie76
06-03-2017, 12:39 PM
Can you honestly see Strachan announcing he's left McGinn out the Scotland squad as Lennon requested it and we "have no chance of qualifying now"?
He wouldn't need to announce it - but why rob us of our best player so he can warm the bench for a meaningless qualifier??

NAE NOOKIE
06-03-2017, 12:41 PM

After his very good performance in his only start for Scotland SJM hasn't had a sniff of playing in any of Scotland's matches .... if Strachan picks him just to warm the bench again with no intention of playing him I think NL would be less than happy, I know I bloody will be.

Borderhibbie76
06-03-2017, 12:42 PM
After his very good performance in his only start for Scotland SJM hasn't had a sniff of playing in any of Scotland's matches .... if Strachan picks him just to warm the bench again with no intention of playing him I think NL would be less than happy, I know I bloody will be.
That's my point mate surely they can come to some sort of arrangement "behind closed doors" to leave him out the squad as he is needed at his club

WeeRussell
06-03-2017, 12:54 PM
That's my point mate surely they can come to some sort of arrangement "behind closed doors" to leave him out the squad as he is needed at his club

Can't see it happening but time will tell. For what it's worth I also can't see Scotland qualifying now - but I don't think we'll be going into the game with that mindset.

According to some (before Saturday), McGinn has been pish for weeks and needs rested. Maybe a seat on the Scotland bench will be the perfect chance :greengrin