PDA

View Full Version : Goals

Ozyhibby
01-03-2017, 08:58 PM
Not signing a striker again in January is working out predictably.
Goals per game ratio

This season 1.64 goals per game
Last season 1.63 goals per game
Stubbs first season 1.94 goals per game
Sevco when they won the league 2.44
Yams when they won league 2.66 goals per game

Our number 9 remains stuck on 3 goals in March.
Failure to fix this will be up there with appointing Butcher as far as self inflicted wounds go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danderhall Hibs
01-03-2017, 09:00 PM
It's been a concern for ages.

The midfield rarely chip in - as was the case back in the golden days of Scott Allan.

Last year we could always pin a loss on the goalie rather than look at the midfield and strikers, not got that luxury this year.

Ozyhibby
01-03-2017, 09:05 PM
It's been a concern for ages.

The midfield rarely chip in - as was the case back in the golden days of Scott Allan.

Last year we could always pin a loss on the goalie rather than look at the midfield and strikers, not got that luxury this year.

Defensively we have been solid. Just terrible in the final third. Holt, Shinnie and Graham have been very poor signings.

Hibee Mac
01-03-2017, 09:46 PM
Defensively we have been solid. Just terrible in the final third. Holt, Shinnie and Graham have been very poor signings.

To be fair the last few league games we've looked woeful at the back as well as up front.

yonder1875
02-03-2017, 12:05 PM

Harsh on Holt IMO, not scored anywhere near as much as we hoped but I am glad he's here.

emerald green
02-03-2017, 05:23 PM
Martin Boyle's miss last night was just the latest in a long line of sitters various Hibs players have passed up over the last few seasons.

Without Jason Cummings goals where would Hibs be? That said, top strikers cost top dollar.

JackLadd
02-03-2017, 05:29 PM
If we could get in a guy like Boyce or Moult, costs money of course.

frazeHFC
02-03-2017, 05:30 PM
Harsh on Holt IMO, not scored anywhere near as much as we hoped but I am glad he's here.

Agree with this, think he puts in a decent shift. Could do better but wouldn't say he's been a bad signing.

CapitalGreen
02-03-2017, 05:39 PM
Goals per game ratio

Failure to fix this will be up there with appointing Butcher as far as self inflicted wounds go.

I don't think it's a striker issue.

Hearts achieved that GpG with a top goal scorer with only 12 goals.
Their midfielders/wingers scored 33 league goals.
Their strikers scored 41 league goals.

Last season our top goal scorer had 18 goals.
Our midfielders/wingers scored 15 league goals.
Our strikers scored 38 league goals

That's a difference of 0.5 GpG over the season from midfield.

Northern Hibby
02-03-2017, 05:42 PM
I think the lack of goals is adding to the tiredness, we're having to slog though every match scrapping 1-0 or worse!!

Gmack7
02-03-2017, 05:53 PM
Martin Boyle's miss last night was just the latest in a long line of sitters various Hibs players have passed up over the last few seasons.

Without Jason Cummings goals where would Hibs be? That said, top strikers cost top dollar.

exactly where we are now 'm afraid

greenlex
02-03-2017, 06:11 PM
exactly where we are now 'm afraid
What? Top of the league and quarter final of the cup?

Ozyhibby
02-03-2017, 06:23 PM
I think the lack of goals is adding to the tiredness, we're having to slog though every match scrapping 1-0 or worse!!

Absolutely. 100%

Ozyhibby
02-03-2017, 06:24 PM

I agree, Shinnie has been just as big a disappointment.

emerald green
02-03-2017, 06:25 PM

Yes top of the Championship, at the moment.

But what I think some posters are alluding to is if Hibs, as a team, had scored more goals they would in all probability have accumulated much more points, and this title would have been more or less wrapped up by now.

Gmack7
02-03-2017, 06:33 PM

In the championship

CapitalGreen
02-03-2017, 07:24 PM

For further comparison, during 98/99 our GpG was 2.33
Our top goal scorer scored 14 goals.
Our midfielders/wingers scored 44 league goals.
Our strikers scored 30 league goals.

Speedy
02-03-2017, 07:38 PM
Who was our last midfielder to get 10 goals?

I can't think of the last goalscoring midfielder we had.

J-C
02-03-2017, 07:42 PM
We desperately need a top creative player, we seen what a player like Commons can produce and he was half fit, a player like him is a must for us next season. Get someone like that in and the strikers take care of themselves.

CapitalGreen
02-03-2017, 07:46 PM

Lovell and McGinley scored 11 & 12 league goals respectively in 1998/99.

Ronniekirk
02-03-2017, 09:22 PM

Add Humphrey who was brought in to provide width pace and create chances as well as score a few
If he had stayed fit and shown the form he showed v United who knows if we would of won some of these recent draws recently Would still like to know if he got injured with us as if not we were conned with that signing

Ronniekirk
02-03-2017, 09:25 PM

Did Liam Craig not get around that figure one season ? And did i just dream he got a Hattrick in one game ?

Mainstandman
02-03-2017, 09:44 PM
Goals per game ratio

what are these goals you talk about :confused:. Seems to be a rare beast.

CapitalGreen
02-03-2017, 09:44 PM
Did Liam Craig not get around that figure one season ? And did i just dream he got a Hattrick in one game ?

9 in all competitions, 6 in the league.

IberianHibernian
02-03-2017, 09:48 PM
What about goals scored by defenders at set pieces ? Seem to remember Fontaine scoring a couple in first season and Forster even more ( plus disallowed goal at Tynecastle ) .

Smartie
02-03-2017, 10:01 PM
Goals per game ratio

I agree that we should have signed a striker in January but I thought we were short of more than just a striker.

It's a piece of nonsense that we are as reliant as we are on a 35 year old striker and that any combination of our other forwards looks hopelessly inept.

Looking at those stats - how often did Sevco or the Yams play with a midfield diamond and the fullbacks offering the width? How often did they play 3-5-2 with a defensive midfielder in front of 3 centre-halves?

We signed Humphrey in January, he had a superb debut then fell away then got injured. How many times over the past 2 and a half seasons have we played with wingers in a 4-5-1/ 4-3-3 and attacked teams from the off? We did it against United in January to great effect.

We have never had the personnel to play these formations and we have consistently struggled to score enough goals. This is not a coincidence.

We'll continue to get decent results against Premier League teams, Sevco and the Yams as we can set up in a way to tackle those games.

Success in those games alone though doesn't guarantee promotion. The balance of players we have is all wrong and I can see us struggling to get over the line. Stubbs didn't get it right and Lennon subsequently hasn't got it right.

We scarcely deserve to win the league and tbh I don't think we would have any complaints if we were about 10 points or so behind the league leaders in our league as we've been nowhere near good enough.

Mainstandman
03-03-2017, 07:15 AM
We desperately need a top creative player, we seen what a player like Commons can produce and he was half fit, a player like him is a must for us next season. Get someone like that in and the strikers take care of themselves.
Couldn't agree more. Fyvie and Bartley can't create, McGinn is playing to deep to be effective and shinnie holds the ball too long generally. They're not enough quick interplay in the side, no point lumping it forward these championship defenders can head that away all day.

Still think well we'll scrape it though and all will be forgiven

Ozyhibby
03-03-2017, 09:18 AM
If we are looking for goals from midfield then we could do a lot worse than Stephen Mallan from St. Mirren. Only 20 years old and already has 16 goals from 82 games in a team that has been terrible for 3 seasons now. That's a very good return from a young midfielder.
https://youtu.be/VSeylqVrc-I

Diclonius
03-03-2017, 09:21 AM
Scoring goals has been a problem ever since Griffiths left. In the season we went down we had one of the best defences in the league (by goals conceded) - it was the fact we couldn't score that sent us down.

Smartie
03-03-2017, 09:29 AM
Scoring goals has been a problem ever since Griffiths left. In the season we went down we had one of the best defences in the league (by goals conceded) - it was the fact we couldn't score that sent us down.

Griffiths' successful loan spell papered over the cracks in that this has been a problem imo for more than ten years, arguably since Riordan and O'Connor left for the first time.

Jones28
03-03-2017, 09:39 AM

Riordan scored 15+ from left mid

Captain Trips
03-03-2017, 09:40 AM
It has been pretty disappointing in the final 3rd this term, we just didn't get any of the forward signings correct. I am most disappointed though that Keatings hasn't kicked on, I really thought this would be his season. The rest bar JC have just plodded on not really getting me excited in any way or doing enough over time.

However this is what we have and my choice is JC and Holt upfront for rest of season, perhaps one of the others can play in midfield and see if have better success coming in from deep as the midfield hasn't exactly been prolific.

stantonhibby
03-03-2017, 11:10 AM
It has been pretty disappointing in the final 3rd this term, we just didn't get any of the forward signings correct. I am most disappointed though that Keatings hasn't kicked on, I really thought this would be his season. The rest bar JC have just plodded on not really getting me excited in any way or doing enough over time.

However this is what we have and my choice is JC and Holt upfront for rest of season, perhaps one of the others can play in midfield and see if have better success coming in from deep as the midfield hasn't exactly been prolific.

Keatings was starting to look good and scored V Dunfermline away and then got injured shortly after. . Apart from Bonnyrigg game he hasn't really had much of a look in since.

Borderhibbie76
03-03-2017, 01:15 PM
Keatings was starting to look good and scored V Dunfermline away and then got injured shortly after. . Apart from Bonnyrigg game he hasn't really had much of a look in since.
He's had a fair few starts tho where he has contributed the square root of f### all. Another one like fyvie that gets an easy ride on here unlike the popular scapegoats like shinnie, Holt and Lewis. Keatings IMHO has been a very poor signing for us

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

BSEJVT
03-03-2017, 01:53 PM
He's had a fair few starts tho where he has contributed the square root of f### all. Another one like fyvie that gets an easy ride on here unlike the popular scapegoats like shinnie, Holt and Lewis. Keatings IMHO has been a very poor signing for us

I don't know if I would completely agree with that assessment but he is a conundrum, his goals to minutes played record isn't bad over his tenure at ER but he is never going to be as prolific as Cummings, cant play up top on his own and in midfield looks lost.

He is also always looking to score himself rather than play people in.

Midfield has been a disaster for us this season, with not one of our midfielders having even a decent season let alone a good one

Fyvie & SJM have both been really poor by their standards, Marvin does what he does but creates SFA, Shinnie apart from the odd game has been poor, McGeouch non existent.

Boyle I would now class more as a striker but like Cummings both need a Holt like figure to be effective.

Playing both in the same team either with or without Holt leaves the midfield unbalanced and short of bodies.

Imo we have recruited really really poorly this season and made the classic mistake of trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

ahibby
03-03-2017, 02:24 PM
I think goal difference is a better indicator of how a team is doing in a lead. Looking top to bottom of a league we usually see that the team with the best goal difference is at the top and that with the poorest is at the bottom. It's one of the reasons that I tipped Hearts to finish above Rangers, however although they have a better goal difference than Rangers their recent results could mean that their goal difference is eaten in to and Rangers end up with a better goal difference by the end of the season. I suppose someone could say the same about Hibs because of recent league results but we have a difference of about 24 goals IIRC and the nearest to us is in the low teens if that (I haven't checked recently) but I'm sure our GD is better by at least 12 compared with any team in our league. I'm not worried yet, we have a lot of six pointer games coming up and they'll tell us what our situation is.

CapitalGreen
03-03-2017, 03:03 PM
I think goal difference is a better indicator of how a team is doing in a lead. Looking top to bottom of a league we usually see that the team with the best goal difference is at the top and that with the poorest is at the bottom. It's one of the reasons that I tipped Hearts to finish above Rangers, however although they have a better goal difference than Rangers their recent results could mean that their goal difference is eaten in to and Rangers end up with a better goal difference by the end of the season. I suppose someone could say the same about Hibs because of recent league results but we have a difference of about 24 goals IIRC and the nearest to us is in the low teens if that (I haven't checked recently) but I'm sure our GD is better by at least 12 compared with any team in our league. I'm not worried yet, we have a lot of six pointer games coming up and they'll tell us what our situation is.

It is effectively the same point though isn't it. Our goal difference is +24 over 26 games. That is less than +1 goal per game (0.92). That is why when we have any drop off in performance we see wins turning into draws.

For comparison:
Hearts 14/15 GD was +70 (approx +2 per game)
Rangers 15/16 GD was +54 (approx +1.5 per game)

MikeyS
03-03-2017, 04:42 PM

I think Keatings has probably found his level in the Championship. Was released from Hamilton when they went up, released by Hearts when they went up and I wouldn't be surprised if the same happened again with us.

I like him him, think he's a nice technically gifted footballer but have been very disappointed by him this year. I was hoping we'd have got 10-12 goals from him, which I don't think is too much ask.

where'stheslope
03-03-2017, 07:52 PM
Had a quick look at Keatings stats for 2014-15 season, he scored 11 goals in 29 games.
Not a bad scoring rate, so my thoughts are midfield is not giving the proper service to our strikers, and we've all known for long enough how bad our crossing has been this season.
It all adds up, this league is there for the taking by us but the players have got to be prepared to fight for everything, right up till the final whistle and when in the lead in games keep pushing forward for more goals, as if the ball is at the other end they can't score very easily!!

ian cruise
04-03-2017, 12:46 AM

I think we've got a player in Keatings, was on great form prior to his injury, so much that folk were questioning if we needed JC (madness, of course we do). Performed well at top of the diamond and if we had Holt alongside Jason I think that's a, position he'd do well in over time as he could push forward when Holt is dropping deep. Think he is the sort of player that needs a run of games to get up to speed and we haven't been in a position to offer that since he's been back as every point is a prisoner.

Boyle I like but he can be a bit of a luxury, like Ivan, when he's good he'll win you a game but when he's on an off day he's a passenger. Like many of our squad, will do better against teams in the top league than the teams were facing week in/week out just now.

JackLadd
04-03-2017, 12:58 AM
We could maybe try Keatings in a wider role. McGinn should be central imo, carrying the ball, Keatings is real quick and has a strike. Just like DR when he was moved wide, people moaned back then but he got 15 goals in a season.