PDA

View Full Version : Hibs in Brasil - bad start for Vasco Brilliant Stars of Hibernian

Viva_Palmeiras
20-01-2017, 04:19 AM
Hope this works ... can't take the credit it's some Dude from Brazil that' got into Hibs through trainspotting he's on Twitter

GreenLake
20-01-2017, 05:11 AM
Hope this works ... can't take the credit it's some Dude from Brazil that' got into Hibs through trainspotting he's on Twitter

I can see a Brazilian appreciating style of play and our history of fairness and integrity.

Viva_Palmeiras
20-01-2017, 05:18 AM
I can see a Brazilian appreciating style of play and our history of fairness and integrity.

I don't quite know the full story but I think journalist and one of the Hibs List - Andy Downie's love of Hibs played a part ;)

Alfiembra
20-01-2017, 07:31 AM
I don't quite know the full story but I think journalist and one of the Hibs List - Andy Downie's love of Hibs played a part ;)

I remember an article a while back, probably the evening news, describing Hibs tour of Brazil.
it was a fantastic story, basically said Hibs were instrumental in showing the Brazilians how to play, and their style and tactics were adopted into the development of the Brazilian national team. Even mentioned the influence of the team on players such as Pele; the rest, as they say, is history.

Kept the story out the paper for years but lost it over time, would love to see it again.

Viva_Palmeiras
20-01-2017, 07:41 AM
I remember an article a while back, probably the evening news, describing Hibs tour of Brazil.
it was a fantastic story, basically said Hibs were instrumental in showing the Brazilians how to play, and their style and tactics were adopted into the development of the Brazilian national team. Even mentioned the influence of the team on players such as Pele; the rest, as they say, is history.

Kept the story out the paper for years but lost it over time, would love to see it again.

The mystique around that Brazilian Encyclopedia of Football continues...

Bobo
20-01-2017, 01:24 PM
The Daily Mail did this article 20 years ago, with our very own Johnnyboy, about Hibs tour of Brazil. :flag:

ekhibee
20-01-2017, 04:30 PM
The mystique around that Brazilian Encyclopedia of Football continues...
I don't know if this helps, it mentions Brazil's encyclopedia of football being published in 1970, with a whole section devoted to Hibs.

http://www.iancolquhoun.org.uk/how-hibs-taught-brazil-how-to-play-football/

ancient hibee
20-01-2017, 07:13 PM
Vasco de Gama played at ER of course.Can't remember th score.

Jonnyboy
20-01-2017, 07:29 PM
Vasco de Gama played at ER of course.Can't remember th score.

30th April 1956. Hibs won 3-1 Turnbull (2) and Jimmy Harrower.

This was the game that witnessed Vasco bring on three subs without taking anyone off! Hibs players had to bring it to the attention of referee Bobby Davidson :greengrin

Joe6-2
20-01-2017, 07:32 PM

This was the game that witnessed Vasco bring on three subs without taking anyone off! Hibs players had to bring it to the attention of referee Bobby Davidson :greengrin

Could see some of the dodgy refs we have now allowing that!! 😉

ancient hibee
20-01-2017, 07:37 PM

The only thing I could remember was the captains exchanging pennants at the start and that some of the Brazil team were wearing socks with holes in them.