PDA

View Full Version : Video Reviews

DaveF
15-12-2016, 09:00 PM
Sorry if already posted but I see there was the first ever video review by a referee in the world club championship.

Ref didn't give a penalty, was alerted by 4th official so he reviewed it on screen and gave the penalty.

Be interesting to see where this goes next.

easty
15-12-2016, 09:01 PM
Didn't seem to work very well here.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38334236

High-On-Hibs
15-12-2016, 10:54 PM
It was mentioned on Radio Scotland last week that it was being piloted, I think it was Craig Thomson who was talking about it. He was enthusiastic about it saying referees would welcome any help they could get to ensure the correct decision is made.

I wonder how enthusiastic he would be about going back over old footage and changing results based on previous dodgy decisions. Not so much I would guess.

Dunbar Hibee
15-12-2016, 11:24 PM
It was mentioned on Radio Scotland last week that it was being piloted, I think it was Craig Thomson who was talking about it. He was enthusiastic about it saying referees would welcome any help they could get to ensure the correct decision is made.

Ironic coming from that ****.

JK Rolling
15-12-2016, 11:30 PM
I'm all for anything that has the potential to remove the bias that seems to be present when some officials are in charge.

I totally get the 'human error' aspect in relation to refereeing a sporting match of any kind but therein lies the problem for me. There are certain officials whose errors seem to ALWAYS help a particular team or hinder a particular team. That for me is not an error, that is a course of conduct that is designed to benefit a particular team.

Although there is no perfect method, I do think that, if a similar approach to video evidence replays in Rugby for example, is used then there is a far more level playing field.

I don't want to come across as a conspiracy theorist I'm simply a fan who has gone through the turnstiles before certain games each season thinking I wonder how the officials will conspire to rob us this week. Sorry, having read that last sentence back I realise I am obviously a conspiracy theorist, oh well, all these years have ground me down.

AZhibee
16-12-2016, 01:48 AM
Has worked well in other sports. Would be beneficial if used for nothing more than confirming a correct penalty shot call prior to the attempt.

Dashing Bob S
16-12-2016, 04:24 AM
Don't need this sort of thing in Scotland. I'd trust the eyes and judgement of a Craig Thomson before a cold, impartial robot camera any day of the week. People are being short sighted and not considering the development of artificial intelligence. What happens when such machines develop a consciousness and learn how to cheat?

Answer: they get full SFA accreditation.