PDA

View Full Version : Millwall players and their fans

BullsCloseHibs
27-11-2016, 10:48 AM
Watching highlights there of Bury v Millwall. Good comeback by the London team after being 2-0 away from home to win 2-3. But, once again, I can't help but note the way the Millwall players blindly jump into their support even though they are tightly surrounded by cops. This would, rightly, not be allowed up here. Let's not forget the Millwall supporters appetite for a fight and the way they were surrounded suggested police were concerned about possible trouble. So why do their players think it's reasonable to jump into their end and cause a possible riot? This same thing happened very recently at another Millwall away game, but this time their fans tried to make a break for the home fans. There's no excuses here.
You just wish someone somewhere would teach them the lesson they deserve.

(PS please no Millwall v Hibs perma-nostalgic crap)

Thecat23
27-11-2016, 10:50 AM
Disgusting little ****hole of a place with horrible fans.

BullsCloseHibs
27-11-2016, 10:53 AM

If you look closely at the away end each time they're on tv it would appear the 'dad's' sit at the back of the stand and the 'kids' (probably theirs) congregate at the front. Supreme Bell-ends. All of them.

Zazu62
27-11-2016, 10:55 AM

Why's that?

Thecat23
27-11-2016, 11:35 AM
Why's that?

I think a quick google search will answer that question.

ChilliEater
27-11-2016, 11:42 AM
I've not seen the specific game or incident you're referring to, but in general, I don't have a problem with players running to their own fans to celebrate. It should be a passionate, emotional game and goal scoring is the peak of that, so get in amongst the fans and enjoy it. :partyhibb

Goading opposition fans, on the other hand......... :grr:

Oscar T Grouch
27-11-2016, 11:48 AM
Millwall fans eh?

Warning this link contains a video with bad language and other stuff that'll depress you on this fine Sunday morning

https://twitter.com/footballears/status/802540799770640385

beensaidbefore
27-11-2016, 11:53 AM
Oh dear.

green&left
27-11-2016, 11:57 AM
Watching highlights there of Bury v Millwall. Good comeback by the London team after being 2-0 away from home to win 2-3. But, once again, I can't help but note the way the Millwall players blindly jump into their support even though they are tightly surrounded by cops. This would, rightly, not be allowed up here. Let's not forget the Millwall supporters appetite for a fight and the way they were surrounded suggested police were concerned about possible trouble. So why do their players think it's reasonable to jump into their end and cause a possible riot? This same thing happened very recently at another Millwall away game, but this time their fans tried to make a break for the home fans. There's no excuses here.
You just wish someone somewhere would teach them the lesson they deserve.

(PS please no Millwall v Hibs perma-nostalgic crap)

Their fans have a 500 mile (8 and a half hour) round trip, they're 2 nil down and end up winning 3-2 and you have an objection with the fans and players celebrating together. Deary me :confused: :confused: :rotflmao:

Ricky Bobby
27-11-2016, 12:30 PM
Millwall fans eh?

Warning this link contains a video with bad language and other stuff that'll depress you on this fine Sunday morning

Depressing stuff. What chance have these kids got with role models like that.

High-On-Hibs
27-11-2016, 12:36 PM
Not really sure how players jumping into their own end to celebrate a goal would ignite a riot. :confused:

ekhibee
27-11-2016, 12:39 PM
I'd imagine it's roughly the same now, but their fans, or a lot of them, were hard b******s back in the eighties. The Bushwackers I think they're called. Doesn't Millwall cover the area of Tower Hamlets, a really depressed area in London?

Oscar T Grouch
27-11-2016, 12:41 PM
Depressing stuff. What chance have these kids got with role models like that.

There's alway hope against ignorance, unfortunately for these kids I fear they will be subjected to more of this bile and will probably turn out like their granny and I'll safely guess their parents too.

BullsCloseHibs
27-11-2016, 12:43 PM
Not really sure how players jumping into their own end to celebrate a goal would ignite a riot. :confused:

You clearly don't pay much attention to recent events involving their fans then. They are most certainly going back to their very worst behaviour.

Any opportunity, be it a goal in their favour, or not, and they'll use it for a catalyst for aggression.

BullsCloseHibs
27-11-2016, 12:45 PM
Millwall fans eh?

Sums up everything about them!

Thecat23
27-11-2016, 01:00 PM
Why's that?

Watch the link that Vince posted and tell me what you think of that.

Newry Hibs
27-11-2016, 01:03 PM
Why's that?

Here's one .... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_Kenilworth_Road_riot

Ricky Bobby
27-11-2016, 01:09 PM
Its easy to generalise about a teams support, and i dont doubt that there are decent Millwall fans. But they do seem to have very large contingent of idiots, they also seem to have a pride in being disliked by everyone. How very sevco.

The Pointer
27-11-2016, 02:01 PM
Back in the seventies there used to be a song to the tune of 'Bonnie and Clyde';

"Millwall FC
Have gained a reputation
For smashing every station on the Southern Region."

And a few years ago a mate went to a game at The Den. Apparently the away fans get off at the station and go through a fenced off channel straight to the ground, presumably for their own safety.

Says it all - dunnit?

P.S. As for goal celebrations, Scotland must have the most rigid, Calvinistic attitude in the world. Don't take your strip off, don't leave the field of play, don't celebrate with your fans, all this while being stared at by referee and linesman like a finger-wagging parent. If Sir David had been Brazilian, he would have ended up in Row ZZ at the Cup Final.

NAE NOOKIE
27-11-2016, 02:13 PM
Millwall were formed by workers from a Scottish firm that produced jam .... the factory in London was their first south of the border and attracted many workers from the Dundee area, the clubs colours of dark blue and the Lion badge are influenced by the Dundee / Scotland connection.

In a way Millwall are a watered down version to London of what Hibs are to Edinburgh, I wonder if they have arguments about how 'Scottish' the club should be and have never ending flag debates :greengrin

brog
27-11-2016, 03:02 PM
Millwall have a core of idiotic fans but they also have many genuine & knowledgeable fans. As Nae Nookie said there's quite a few parallels with Hibs fans re our core support. As for Tower Hamlets, it's certainly a poor area but it's on the other side of the river, a big thing in London! Millwall are from Sarf London & draw their main support from Del Boy territory! Maybe explains a lot!

NAE NOOKIE
27-11-2016, 03:10 PM
Millwall have a core of idiotic fans but they also have many genuine & knowledgeable fans. As Nae Nookie said there's quite a few parallels with Hibs fans re our core support. As for Tower Hamlets, it's certainly a poor area but it's on the other side of the river, a big thing in London! Millwall are from Sarf London & draw their main support from Del Boy territory! Maybe explains a lot!

:agree: .... I worked beside a guy who was a Charleton supporter .... I used to put on the accent and say 'oi Malcolm, where you going this Saturday up the Lane or down the Bridge ..... the reply was always the same 'Nah mate, I don't go norf of the river' :greengrin

Haymaker
27-11-2016, 04:58 PM
And a few years ago a mate went to a game at The Den. Apparently the away fans get off at the station and go through a fenced off channel straight to the ground, presumably for their own safety.

Says it all - dunnit?

Yes there is a separate gate that leads to the away stand. Home fans are channelled down a lane that is lined by big metal security fences. South bermonsey is a proper dump and I used to hate ever having to go there when I lived in London.

jgl07
27-11-2016, 05:04 PM
Their fans have a 500 mile (8 and a half hour) round trip, they're 2 nil down and end up winning 3-2 and you have an objection with the fans and players celebrating together. Deary me :confused: :confused: :rotflmao:
500 mile round trip?

Which way were they travelling? Via Newcastle?

Baader
27-11-2016, 05:04 PM
I'd imagine it's roughly the same now, but their fans, or a lot of them, were hard b******s back in the eighties. The Bushwackers I think they're called. Doesn't Millwall cover the area of Tower Hamlets, a really depressed area in London?

It does. Millwall area is in the Isle of Dogs. The club don't play there though,they're on the other side of the river in South Bermondsey.

I live about equidistant between Millwall and Charlton (the clubs.) Take a very small interest in the latter but not the former.

Millwall FC does historically have a strong Scottish connection and the club actually do a lot of good work in the community but its a shame they are tarnished by a number of absolute idiots who bask in the clubs hooligan reputation. Theyre basically Huns.

27-11-2016, 05:27 PM
****my fans

BullsCloseHibs
27-11-2016, 05:29 PM
It does. Millwall area is in the Isle of Dogs. The club don't play there though,they're on the other side of the river in South Bermondsey.

I live about equidistant between Millwall and Charlton (the clubs.) Take a very small interest in the latter but not the former.

Millwall FC does historically have a strong Scottish connection and the club actually do a lot of good work in the community but its a shame they are tarnished by a number of absolute idiots who bask in the clubs hooligan reputation. Theyre basically Huns.

Let's not pretend it's a SMALL minority either cause it certainly ain't.

SRHibs
27-11-2016, 05:36 PM
500 mile round trip?

It's at least 200 miles from LDN to Bury. 8 and a half hours probably isn't far off.

silverhibee
27-11-2016, 05:38 PM
You clearly don't pay much attention to recent events involving their fans then. They are most certainly going back to their very worst behaviour.

Any opportunity, be it a goal in their favour, or not, and they'll use it for a catalyst for aggression.

Why would Hibs fans pay any attention to what Millwall fans get up to. :confused:

Baader
27-11-2016, 05:55 PM
Let's not pretend it's a SMALL minority either cause it certainly ain't.

Yep. It certainly isn't.

Albanian Hibs
27-11-2016, 05:59 PM
Why's that?

Seriously?

hibs#1
27-11-2016, 06:17 PM
Millwall fans eh?

That is truly awful.

tamig
27-11-2016, 06:20 PM
That is truly awful.

It is. Hopefully the clip will go viral and she'll get a knock at the door.

hibs#1
27-11-2016, 06:22 PM
It is. Hopefully the clip will go viral and she'll get a knock at the door.

Doubt it'll make any difference what chance do the kids have if they get that sort of stuff drummed into them at that age it certainly is a vicious cycle.

BullsCloseHibs
27-11-2016, 06:46 PM
Why would Hibs fans pay any attention to what Millwall fans get up to. :confused:

Cause we're allowed 👈

27-11-2016, 07:43 PM
Millwall fans eh?

Wow what wonderful parenting :rolleyes:. That bairn looks about 5 and he's being encouraged to say things like that?! Jesus.

Tell you what if i'd spoke like that in front of my mum at that age i'd no live to tell the tale put it that way lol!

blackpoolhibs
27-11-2016, 07:59 PM
It's at least 200 miles from LDN to Bury. 8 and a half hours probably isn't far off.

226 going by the AA routefinder. :greengrin

green&left
27-11-2016, 09:17 PM
500 mile round trip?

454 from the den to gigg lane if you're going to be pedantic about it :bye:

lobster
27-11-2016, 09:30 PM
What a stupid thread.
Millwall are currently under huge threat of extinction from developers who wish to see real London people and their communities dismantled for a quick buck. It seems that it is easier to rely on tired old stereotypes.

NAE NOOKIE
27-11-2016, 11:54 PM
What a stupid thread.
Millwall are currently under huge threat of extinction from developers who wish to see real London people and their communities dismantled for a quick buck. It seems that it is easier to rely on tired old stereotypes.

To be fair the woman in the clip is doing a fair job of promoting the Millwall stereotype without any help from us. What's the correlation between the image Millwall fans have built for themselves over the last 30 years, folk having a go at them about it, and developers wanting to knock down Cold Blow lane or whatever? I'm absolutely positive that the area that provides Millwall with its core support has no more or less anti social morons than any other tough inner city neighbourhood ..... it just seems that in relation to its size that club over the years has attracted a higher proportion of its catchment areas knuckle draggers than any other club in Britain.

The question to ask is, if the area that serves Millwall FC does contain an element of civic pride and more importantly pride in its football club then why have they not turned on the guys who have dragged Millwall's name through the mud for years and the areas name with it, they were even at it during the play offs at Wembley at the end of last season.

Nobody is pretending that Millwall have ever been or are ever going to be one of London's more fashionable clubs, but there is no doubt that the behaviour of their fans over the years has prevented the club from taking advantage of what is a golden era in English football, at least financially. Even now its a venue that only the most rabid away fan is prepared to visit, that reputation must have cost the club millions over the years.

Dunbar Hibee
28-11-2016, 12:36 AM
What a stupid thread.

Hopefully they do go extinct. ****bags

Swedish hibee
28-11-2016, 01:47 AM
What a stupid thread.

I agree.
When I lived in London I chose to go used to watch Millwall and Leyton Orient than all the others in London. Met great folk and never once had any bother.
Millwall do great work in the surrounding community unlike many of the other bigger London clubs.

Big90inOz
28-11-2016, 02:06 AM
I don't really care about this thread but what gets my goat is today's society who worry about what might happen. The players going to the crowd might start a riot so it shouldn't be allowed , chances are nothing will happen but let's ban it just in case. A blanket ban seems to be today's answer for all that might happen rather than dealing with the problem when or if it happens. And that's for all aspects of present day life.

Dashing Bob S
28-11-2016, 03:27 AM
Used to go fairly frequently when I lived in London, at both the old and new stadiums. Preferred it to the increasing sterility of the so called bigger clubs stadia in London.

Frankly, the experience reminds me more of ER than any other ground I've been at. Intimidating for visitors but homely for regulars. The similar vocal exhibitionist salt-of-the-earth or pain-in-the-arse types, depending on ones disposition. Young ne'er-do-wells augmented by seasoned thugs at bigger/flashpoint games.

You can pick a low lifer like the woman in that video out of any support. Yes, it's ugly, pathetic and uningratuating - but please don't seriously insult your own and everybody else's intellect by trying to portray it as the norm, at Millwall or anywhere else.

CentreLine
28-11-2016, 05:53 AM
Millwall fans eh?

Utterly disgusting. No need to guess which way that moron of a woman voted in the Brexit debate. People like her don't half dent your faith in humanity

hibbysam
28-11-2016, 06:01 AM
I don't really care about this thread but what gets my goat is today's society who worry about what might happen. The players going to the crowd might start a riot so it shouldn't be allowed , chances are nothing will happen but let's ban it just in case. A blanket ban seems to be today's answer for all that might happen rather than dealing with the problem when or if it happens. And that's for all aspects of present day life.

What an absurd view on this issue, you reckon we should wait until there has been a major disaster involving fans rushing to the front and causing a massive crush, and then deal with it?? This is the reason jumping into the crowd is outlawed, no other reason.

blackpoolhibs
28-11-2016, 06:06 AM
What an absurd view on this issue, you reckon we should wait until there has been a major disaster involving fans rushing to the front and causing a massive crush, and then deal with it?? This is the reason jumping into the crowd is outlawed, no other reason.

I have come home from some games battered and bruised from celebrating goals much more than i ever did when we did not have all seater stadiums.

Should we rip all the seats out?

Did you see the celebrations at our end when David Gray scored the winner at Hampden, did anyone die or complain about their injuries when Gray went into the crowd after scoring?

Big90inOz
28-11-2016, 06:54 AM

That's your view of this closeted society we live in where all things that might involve risk are removed before anything happens " just in case"
Risk is sadly becoming removed from all aspects of life. Remove all risk at all cost society

Pete
28-11-2016, 07:13 AM
It might have actually been the game the OP was referring to but Millwalls hosts recently had plenty to say about the visiting fans.
There was a bucket collection going on outside the ground and Millwall fans took a bucket, passed it round the away end during the game and gave it back to the charity guy at the end of the match.

You hear lots of bad things but it's these good things that get lost among it all. Some people might be under the impression that we are nothing more than a bunch of pitch invading thugs. :hmmm:

Pete
28-11-2016, 07:22 AM
Millwall fans eh?

I don't know why the woman is getting so much stick.

All I see is more evidence of institutional racism within our police force.

hibbysam
28-11-2016, 07:32 AM
I have come home from some games battered and bruised from celebrating goals much more than i ever did when we did not have all seater stadiums.

Should we rip all the seats out?

Did you see the celebrations at our end when David Gray scored the winner at Hampden, did anyone die or complain about their injuries when Gray went into the crowd after scoring?

Not that I am going to complain about them, however the fact Gray celebrated in the South stand helped somewhat with the massive area at the front for wheelchairs.

I was in the East and I am not going to lie, I am surprised that there were no major injuries, as you say they were absolutely crazy scenes, again, I'm not going to complain about those but it could easily have been dangerous.

The rush to the front at the pitch invasion, I was squashed and that was due to the gate not opening and everyone still piling down, had that been where Gray celebrated it could have been worse.

I'd rather this rule was in place where jumping into the crowd is outlawed and it saved one or two lives every few years, than letting it go and losing one or two every few years, and I am normally the first to shout about safety gone mad at games.

Most of the time it will pass without incident, or injury, however it does have massive risk involved in steep stands and a full house, especially when there is no walkway at the front (eg Tynecastle, Hampden, Ibrox etc)

northstandhibby
28-11-2016, 07:58 AM
Its the foul language the woman is happily teaching kids of around 5-10 years old that is most alarming. She's certainly learning them to aim high right enough at becoming a bunch of fanatic Millwall thugs in later life :rolleyes:.

I feel sorry for the kids being learnt/brainwashed this type of behaviour at such an early age when the woman should be their mentor teaching them there are other things in life to learn and enjoy.

green&left
28-11-2016, 08:14 AM
Not that I am going to complain about them, however the fact Gray celebrated in the South stand helped somewhat with the massive area at the front for wheelchairs.

I was in the East and I am not going to lie, I am surprised that there were no major injuries, as you say they were absolutely crazy scenes, again, I'm not going to complain about those but it could easily have been dangerous.

The rush to the front at the pitch invasion, I was squashed and that was due to the gate not opening and everyone still piling down, had that been where Gray celebrated it could have been worse.

I'd rather this rule was in place where jumping into the crowd is outlawed and it saved one or two lives every few years, than letting it go and losing one or two every few years, and I am normally the first to shout about safety gone mad at games.

Most of the time it will pass without incident, or injury, however it does have massive risk involved in steep stands and a full house, especially when there is no walkway at the front (eg Tynecastle, Hampden, Ibrox etc)

Save one or two lives :rotflmao:

Can you share with us any stories where a death has occurred at a football match in decent European stadium due to celebrating a goal?

You never been to a gig or concert BTW? Lost count the amount of times i'd end up on the deck after jumping about like a mad man. Never once died BTW, just got picked up and got on with it. Funny that.

hibbysam
28-11-2016, 09:14 AM

Can you share with us any stories where a death has occurred at a football match in decent European stadium due to celebrating a goal?

You never been to a gig or concert BTW? Lost count the amount of times i'd end up on the deck after jumping about like a mad man. Never once died BTW, just got picked up and got on with it. Funny that.

How many extremely young children rock up at these gigs? With the walls at the front of the stand, and people behind jumping over seats to get to the front where the players celebrate, there is huge potential for a crush... It's hardly a surprise that this rule is in place, or we could just allow folks to do as they please with no regard for safety at all...

HappyHanlon
28-11-2016, 11:06 AM
not that i am going to complain about them, however the fact gray celebrated in the south stand helped somewhat with the massive area at the front for wheelchairs.

I was in the east and i am not going to lie, i am surprised that there were no major injuries, as you say they were absolutely crazy scenes, again, i'm not going to complain about those but it could easily have been dangerous.

The rush to the front at the pitch invasion, i was squashed and that was due to the gate not opening and everyone still piling down, had that been where gray celebrated it could have been worse.

I'd rather this rule was in place where jumping into the crowd is outlawed and it saved one or two lives every few years, than letting it go and losing one or two every few years, and i am normally the first to shout about safety gone mad at games.

Most of the time it will pass without incident, or injury, however it does have massive risk involved in steep stands and a full house, especially when there is no walkway at the front (eg tynecastle, hampden, ibrox etc)

borrrrrrrrrrrring

CropleyWasGod
28-11-2016, 11:10 AM

Unlike these people:-

http://matadornetwork.com/nights/10-deadliest-concert-disasters-of-the-last-50-years/

G B Young
28-11-2016, 11:13 AM
Anyone attend that 'friendly' between Millwall and Hibs in the mid-80s?

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-11-2016, 11:51 AM

An "interesting" evenings entertainment, wasnae mid 80s though.

green with envy
28-11-2016, 12:23 PM

Hibs didn't play Millwall in the mid 80's.

Dashing Bob S
28-11-2016, 12:25 PM
Hibs didn't play Millwall in the mid 80's.

G B Young
28-11-2016, 12:48 PM

I seem to recall Joe McBride jnr playing but he'd have left by '89 so I must be thinking of an earlier pre-season game against somebody else. My recollection of the Millwall fixture was it took place on a Friday night as part of a tour of the south of England.

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-11-2016, 12:57 PM
I thought it was 1990 when we played down there.

green with envy
28-11-2016, 01:56 PM

Although i was at the game, maybe my memories going but i thought it was Pre-Season 1990?

EDIT: Just seen Hutchy's post, as i thought.

Paisley Hibby
28-11-2016, 02:18 PM
Back in the late 1990s when I was a lecturer at Paisley Uni, I took our students on a field trip to London which included a trip to The New Den. We got a tour and talk from their community liaison guy, an ex player who's name I've forgotten. The students asked him a lot of questions about how the new stadium was funded, their work in the community and all that kind of course-related stuff which went fine. Then one asked him if the Millwall fans' reputation was a problem. He said something like it was a minority and that they get a lot of undeserved bad press. Then he said, wait a minute, you guys are from Scotland aren't you. Well the worst fans he had ever seen for causing trouble were from Scotland, a team called Hibs if he remembered right. As all the students knew I'm a Hibby, you can imagine the reaction...

Mind you, while we were there, part of the stadium was closed off with police incident tape. Apparently they'd had a boxing match the previous weekend and one of the spectators had been murdered.

J-C
28-11-2016, 02:19 PM
I lived in New Cross 10 mins from Millwall, this was around 30 years ago and their fans were a nasty bunch, I never went to any games as you never ever felt safe if you did, either from Millwall fans or from whatever fans were visiting, always a nasty atmosphere on game day.

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-11-2016, 02:31 PM
I remember having to collect tickets for the away end from the Millwall Ticket Office at The New Den prior to a Millwall v West Ham game, quite an intimidating atmosphere in the surrounding area.

G B Young
28-11-2016, 04:22 PM
Think we signed Stevie Crawford and that wee ***** Hartley from Millwall.

Also seem to recall Mickey Weir playing for them towards the end of his career but I might be wrong on that.

WoreTheGreen
28-11-2016, 04:38 PM
Luton i think

beensaidbefore
28-11-2016, 04:45 PM
Back in the late 1990s when I was a lecturer at Paisley Uni, I took our students on a field trip to London which included a trip to The New Den. We got a tour and talk from their community liaison guy, an ex player who's name I've forgotten. The students asked him a lot of questions about how the new stadium was funded, their work in the community and all that kind of course-related stuff which went fine. Then one asked him if the Millwall fans' reputation was a problem. He said something like it was a minority and that they get a lot of undeserved bad press. Then he said, wait a minute, you guys are from Scotland aren't you. Well the worst fans he had ever seen for causing trouble were from Scotland, a team called Hibs if he remembered right. As all the students knew I'm a Hibby, you can imagine the reaction...

Mind you, while we were there, part of the stadium was closed off with police incident tape. Apparently they'd had a boxing match the previous weekend and one of the spectators had been murdered.

From the views of some on this thread we should probably just ban crowds from boxing too. Potential for injury you see.😋

beensaidbefore
28-11-2016, 04:46 PM

Also seem to recall Mickey Weir playing for them towards the end of his career but I might be wrong on that.

As wore the green says, Luton town, think he was only there a year and we signed him back??

beensaidbefore
28-11-2016, 04:59 PM
Its the foul language the woman is happily teaching kids of around 5-10 years old that is most alarming. She's certainly learning them to aim high right enough at becoming a bunch of fanatic Millwall thugs in later life :rolleyes:.

I feel sorry for the kids being learnt/brainwashed this type of behaviour at such an early age when the woman should be their mentor teaching them there are other things in life to learn and enjoy.

What chance have they got eh???

Teacher: Hi Mrs Smith, I'd like to speak to you about the kids swearing in class today.

Mrs Smith: F*** o** you ****!!

High-On-Hibs
28-11-2016, 05:21 PM
The Millwall game happened on the 17th of August 1990. Hibs fans didn't exactly cover themselves in glory either. The CCS were very true to form that day as well.

green with envy
28-11-2016, 05:37 PM

The ex hun thug Terry Hurlock nearly broke Micky Weir's leg that night against Millwall, hated him for that reason even before he signed for the huns.

Dashing Bob S
28-11-2016, 05:39 PM
The Millwall game happened on the 17th of August 1990. Hibs fans didn't exactly cover themselves in glory either. The CCS were very true to form that day as well.

Apologies - this is the correct date. It was a Friday night. It was carnage, and basically all down to Hibs fans who attacked several Millwall pubs. The events that evening gave Hibs such a notorious reputation that West Ham fans put an ad in the Evening Standard congratulating Hibs supporters 'on a job well done.'

Rather than indulge in yet another pointless debate about the hooliganism of that era, it's maybe best to say that those were different times.

G B Young
28-11-2016, 06:51 PM
As wore the green says, Luton town, think he was only there a year and we signed him back??

The Luton move came early in his career and I remember being really disappointed when he left, but you're right we signed him back not long afterwards.

He played a few games on loan for Millwall before joining Motherwell:

Years
Team
Apps
(Gls)

1984–1987
Hibernian (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibernian_F.C.)
(5)

Luton Town (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luton_Town_F.C.)
(0)

1987–1996
Hibernian (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibernian_F.C.)
(25)

→ Millwall (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millwall_F.C.) (loan)
(0)

1996–1998
Motherwell (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motherwell_F.C.)
(6)

Total

(36

Holmesdale Hibs
28-11-2016, 09:17 PM
I went to a few Millwall games a while back when I lived in Dulwich and they were relatively nearby. The last game I went to was vs Birmingham and David Murphy scored a lovely free kick.

There were a few nutters that sat in the top tier by the away fans but the vast majority were just normal folk supporting their local team. I always respected them for not supporting Chelski or Arsenal like many others. It was a decent enough atmosphere but I never kept it up and ended up adopting Palace as my English team when I moved.

Posts describing them as **** are just wrong unless you're happy stereotyping thousands of people based on the actions of a few dickheads (are we all **** because of fighting years ago and a few guys broke the goalposts at Hampden). West Ham are much worse these days anyway but it's still a minority.

Cosmic Truth
29-11-2016, 05:46 AM
Millwall fans eh?

What the fu.............? :no way: