PDA

View Full Version : Forward required

dastardly8
12-11-2016, 06:07 PM
Who could we get up front that will take at least half of the chances we make , could we get such a striker in January who will do the business , thoughts please ?

lucky
12-11-2016, 06:18 PM
We could try playing our top goal scorer

Diclonius
12-11-2016, 06:20 PM
I hear Leigh's down in the pecking order over at Parkhead. Or more realistically, Stephen Dobbie.

monktonharp
12-11-2016, 06:23 PM
difficult, now that we only have Cummings , Boyle,Keatings , Holt and a few random midfielders to choose from:rolleyes: wish we had a wonderboy in the sidings, waiting on his chance

wookie70
12-11-2016, 06:26 PM
As despicable as he was today I would take Baird in a heartbeat. Scores plenty, good conversion rate, clever, great runs off the ball and willing to do anything to win. Hate that type of player but that is because they always seem to play against us. Can't remember the last time we had someone like him play for us.

B.H.F.C
12-11-2016, 06:27 PM
Don't think our strikers missed many glaring opportunities today. The service to them is largely the issue IMO.

Pedantic_Hibee
12-11-2016, 06:38 PM
As despicable as he was today I would take Baird in a heartbeat. Scores plenty, good conversion rate, clever, great runs off the ball and willing to do anything to win. Hate that type of player but that is because they always seem to play against us. Can't remember the last time we had someone like him play for us.

No.

Nicho87
12-11-2016, 06:40 PM
Stevenson and grays crossing isnae the best likes

3pm
12-11-2016, 06:41 PM
No.

Agreed.

HibsNutter
12-11-2016, 06:45 PM
Or Lennon could end his petty feud with our best striker and play him

Stoney Hibee
12-11-2016, 06:45 PM

There is no doubt that Stevenson gets its himself into great attacking positions, but I would love to know what percentage actually ends up with an effective cross into the box and not passed back to a midfielder (usually the person who gave him the ball in the first place) or a cross that hits the first defender.

Col2
12-11-2016, 06:46 PM
GMS from Celtix on loan. Watch this space.

Nicho87
12-11-2016, 06:51 PM
GMS from Celtix on loan. Watch this space.

Go on....

squire
12-11-2016, 06:55 PM
As much as I like Holt I think we could do much better. He puts himself about and could be a brilliant asset but it seems his lay off's always go in the wrong direction from where a teammate is.

I see what he is trying to do but a better player would make the difference

Col2
12-11-2016, 06:56 PM
Go on....

Heard we tried to get him in summer but he didn't want to go on loan.

Guaranteed to go on loan in winter break. Celtic won't let him go to sheep, yams etc.

Nicho87
12-11-2016, 07:00 PM
Heard we tried to get him in summer but he didn't want to go on loan.

Guaranteed to go on loan in winter break. Celtic won't let him go to sheep, yams etc.

Id be more inclinded to think Commons is a more realistic target. However give me GMS over harris please. Harris is a lost soul for me, too weak.

DaveF
12-11-2016, 07:06 PM
Don't think our strikers missed many glaring opportunities today. The service to them is largely the issue IMO.

Correct. Whatever crosses we eventually put in are just nor good enough. Or blocked.

Hiber-nation
12-11-2016, 07:09 PM
As much as I like Holt I think we could do much better. He puts himself about and could be a brilliant asset but it seems his lay off's always go in the wrong direction from where a teammate is.

Agree. The service he gets isn't great, especially with Keatings out and you can't question his work rate and commitment but he's short on the quality we require.

Arch Stanton
12-11-2016, 07:29 PM
We could try playing our top goal scorer

And this plan to get us promoted - how many years do you think it will take to work?

ForeverHibs93
12-11-2016, 07:31 PM

I see this a lot on here and people genuinely seem to rate Holt but when ever I have seen him I just can't see what he brings to the game.

He's an absolute cart horse, he's so slow and he doesn't even hold the ball up all that well and when he does he misplaces the lay offs.

keatings (I know he's injured but I'm talking in general) and Cummings are much better players IMO. Surely even Graham has a bit more mobility than Holt.

I don't get how he see'a out 90 minutes when he's so clearly knackered after 60.

i don't dislike the guy and you can't fault his effort, but he's just not a very good player anymore unfortunately.

as for the general thread, Lennon needs to drop this pathetic rift with our best striker as it's now to the detriment of the team.

Scouse Hibee
12-11-2016, 07:33 PM
We have plenty of forwards at the club no need to rush out and buy another one, so they drew a blank today....it happens.

J-C
12-11-2016, 07:34 PM
Poor balls into the box and 10 men defenses are always hard to break down, just ask Man U last week, on another day with a bit of luck we hammer Falkirk.

Scouse Hibee
12-11-2016, 07:35 PM

I disagree, he is an intelligent player who knows the game and where to put the ball, not his fault if others can't think quick enough.

ancient hibee
12-11-2016, 07:39 PM
I disagree, he is an intelligent player who knows the game and where to put the ball, not his fault if others can't think quick enough.

Exactly right.Plus he wins the majority of kick outs which is something we've lacked for years.

PISTOL1875
12-11-2016, 07:40 PM
Forwards are only as good as the service they receive. Stevenson crossing once again was dreadful and the deliveries from corners was equally poor. Maybe if our midfielders gave them better service then they'd score more goals.

hibee_girl
12-11-2016, 07:41 PM

:agree:

Unseen work
12-11-2016, 08:07 PM

Where to put the ball?

Surely that's in the back of the net, which up until now, he has struggled with

1875STEVE
12-11-2016, 08:10 PM
I'm not sure a striker is neceserally the problem.

How many clear cut chances for a striker did we create today??

IMO the problem is the cutting edge from outwide and through balls.

Lewis Stevenson, for as much as I love him, could hit 100 crosses, and your lucky if 10% hit a Hibs player, he is not a forward thinking player, and we are asking him to get forward and create, he will bust a gut for you, is solid defensively.

Gray on the other side is better, but id like to see both do what they do best, defend and have a couple of more forward/attacking players in front of them.

In the league we are in, we can take risks and put more forward thinking players on the pitch, our defence is solid, and solid enough to handle div1.

As someone has stated above, I'm talking maybe GMS, Liam Henderson types out wide, tricky and pacey.

The only downside is they will cost.

Cummings/Holt/Keatings/Graham would have a field with that kind of supply.

lord bunberry
12-11-2016, 08:16 PM
Cummings should have been brought on as soon as they went down to 10 men. Lennon waited too long then took off 2 defenders which contributed to us losing a goal. People criticise Cummings for not tracking back, but that wasn't required once they went down to 10 men. We don't win today because our manager made the wrong call for the second time this season at Easter Road. If he's shut up shop against Ayr we'd have won the game and if he's been more adventurous today we'd have won the game.
Worrying times.

GreenNWhiteArmy
12-11-2016, 08:19 PM
Sometimes having a bad game is exactly just that. For the last 3 weeks or so Martin Boyle has been the best striker in the world and we didn't need Jason Cummings. Now Holt is garbage and we should start playing Cummings again.

Ah the joys of over analysing every single fixture

brog
12-11-2016, 08:31 PM
Maybe we shouldn't be playing 3 centre backs at home in this league, particularly when the opposition are down to 10 men. Our wing backs continually having space works against us as we use that as our out ball every time. Playing 4-4-2 would force our midfield to be more creative & perhaps even to go wide, hit the bye line more often. It would also allow us to play, IMO, our most creative player Dylan M. At present we're very one dimensional & far too predictable.

matty_f
12-11-2016, 09:02 PM
Correct. Whatever crosses we eventually put in are just nor good enough. Or blocked.

:agree: final ball was the issue today, not the strikers.

cleanyman
12-11-2016, 09:14 PM
Liam Henderson required

A guy who can deliver a set piece

AlbertK86
12-11-2016, 09:15 PM

Spot on ...., 9 out of 10 hit the first defender

Their goalie had a great game.

3 cracking saves from Super John

Another day he would have had at least a brace

snooky
12-11-2016, 09:29 PM
We need a tall centre who can score goals with his head and feet, a-la Alan Gordon.
While Holt can 'put it about', he can jump heehaw and always looks as if he's stuck in first gear. Sorry, but he's no' for me.

BlackSheep
12-11-2016, 09:31 PM
Maybe we shouldn't be playing 3 centre backs at home in this league, particularly when the opposition are down to 10 men. Our wing backs continually having space works against us as we use that as our out ball every time. Playing 4-4-2 would force our midfield to be more creative & perhaps even to go wide, hit the bye line more often. It would also allow us to play, IMO, our most creative player Dylan M. At present we're very one dimensional & far too predictable.

How would a 442 allow us to play McGeough?

Firstly he hasn't been playing due to an injury and secondly who exactly would you place on the bench in favour of him?

I know Shinnie has taken his fair share of criticism this year... he had a bright start and has found better form the past couple of weeks but I think he gets criticised due to the act that he has so much of the ball... he has played big parts in many of our goals recently and I don't think he should be dropped... same goes for SJM and Fyvie... both had good form lately...

Jones28
12-11-2016, 09:36 PM
A lack of good strikers is not the problem - a lack of good crossers is.

Hi Heid Yin
12-11-2016, 09:42 PM
Holt is similar to Paatelainen - big, burly but with no pace. Paatelainen was great at those knock downs for the more nippy and skillful players such as Latapy.
Sadly, we don't have a Latapy-type in our team - and so Holt is targeted and accused of bringing nothing to the table. I still feel that Lennon is tinkering and as frustrated as the rest of us at our shortcomings. The January window will hopefully see him acquire the two or three quality players we are crying out for.

Itsnoteasy
12-11-2016, 09:59 PM
Holt is similar to Paatelainen - big, burly but with no pace. Paatelainen was great at those knock downs for the more nippy and skillful players such as Latapy.
Sadly, we don't have a Latapy-type in our team - and so Holt is targeted and accused of bringing nothing to the table. I still feel that Lennon is tinkering and as frustrated as the rest of us at our shortcomings. The January window will hopefully see him acquire the two or three quality players we are crying out for.

The difference there is Mixu could also score.

SRHibs
12-11-2016, 10:11 PM
If we are looking at weak positions, it's the fullbacks. It's hard to say seeing as they are both club legends, but for me, they are the weakest links in this team. Definitely an area we should look to strengthen. On that note, what happened to Eardley?

Hi Heid Yin
12-11-2016, 10:19 PM
The difference there is Mixu could also score.

Mixu had players around him who set him up nicely time after time. Holt is handicapped in this sense and literally feeds off scraps in comparison.

northstandhibby
12-11-2016, 10:20 PM
Mixu had players around him who set him up nicely time after time. Holt is handicapped in this sense and literally feeds off scraps in comparison.

Mixu was different class.

Eyrie
12-11-2016, 10:41 PM
If we are looking at weak positions, it's the fullbacks. It's hard to say seeing as they are both club legends, but for me, they are the weakest links in this team. Definitely an area we should look to strengthen. On that note, what happened to Eardley?

Both Gray and Stevenson are fine as fullbacks, but where they are weak is when they are expected to play as wing backs, whether in a 4-4-2 or a 3-5-2. Neither is reliable enough at attacking or crossing for the advanced role.

Booked4Being-Ugly
12-11-2016, 10:46 PM
Mixu was different class.A 'Mixu' is exactly what we need right now!

SRHibs
12-11-2016, 10:47 PM
Both Gray and Stevenson are fine as fullbacks, but where they are weak is when they are expected to play as wing backs, whether in a 4-4-2 or a 3-5-2. Neither is reliable enough at attacking or crossing for the advanced role.

Well, yeah, that's what I mean. By and large we are playing very aggressively and they simply don't suit the roles they are being placed in (Gray is OK-ish going forward).

We either change the formation to reflect this or replace them with players who are better offensively. Stevenson rarely beats his man, and if he does, the proceeding cross is likely to leave a lot to be desired.

eastcoasthibby
12-11-2016, 11:21 PM
I totally agree although we are weak in other departments we nee a winger and striker who plays as a centre forward, but Gray too often looks like he can't be bothered and today was one of them ! why ? I watched him closely in the second half and his positional play and involvement was woeful and that in my view happens too often ! Stevenson is not good enough and always has to either take an extra touch or just can't get it past the first defender .. how difficulty is it to practise in training ??
Lennon made the mistake today of sticking with 3 centre half's fro far too long after they went down to 10 men it should have been changed at half time ... upset them and their system on the restart ...
Holt gets himself into great positions to get touches, but he makes far too many flicks instead of taking the ball in he makes it easy for defenders instead of taking a touch and drawing a defender into him .. and doesn't play in the box often enough for me !!

IberianHibernian
12-11-2016, 11:54 PM
If we are looking at weak positions, it's the fullbacks. It's hard to say seeing as they are both club legends, but for me, they are the weakest links in this team. Definitely an area we should look to strengthen. On that note, what happened to Eardley?Agree that fullbacks are a position where we could improve . Gray was getting flak here towards the end of last season ( mistake before Falkirk`s second goal in play off for example ) something which seems to have been forgotten now though understandable after final . He also seems to have lost some pace since last season ( carrying an injury perhaps ? ) . Stevenson also seems to be struggling to regain last season`s form though his position has been a weakness for a few years now . Not sure who would be good replacements . The Morton left back Russell always looks good and also gets the odd goal ( scored today I think ) .

marleyhib
13-11-2016, 12:47 AM
Cummings should have been brought on as soon as they went down to 10 men. Lennon waited too long then took off 2 defenders which contributed to us losing a goal. People criticise Cummings for not tracking back, but that wasn't required once they went down to 10 men. We don't win today because our manager made the wrong call for the second time this season at Easter Road. If he's shut up shop against Ayr we'd have won the game and if he's been more adventurous today we'd have won the game.

Worrying times.

This for me. Players didn't know what they were doing when he decided to change it. Fontaine was unlucky not to score and I was surprised to see him go off. He should have had a plan at half time and coveyed it to the players. They were bound to sit in, his subs were too late and misjudged. Harris hasnlt got it unfortunately, fair enough he doesn't get much of a chance but that's football.

silverhibee
13-11-2016, 01:29 AM
Lewis Alessandra.

Centre Hawf
13-11-2016, 03:14 AM
People talk about the quality of our crossing but it's actually a very inefficient way to score in modern football. I remember reading an analysis of the art of crossing and on average in England's top 4 divisions you only saw a goal from a cross once in 92 crosses. In the Premiership it's dropped from a 1 in 3 crosses reaching a team mate 12 years ago to around 1 in 5. Make of that what you will but I think you'll probably find that our cross completions are probably in line with the rest of the league and crossing is pretty much a gift back to the opposition.

What worries me more is that we seem to find ourselves in these areas more often and can't seem to break our way in via the middle. With the talent we have in midfield you'd have thought we could thread passes more often.

gegs70
13-11-2016, 03:18 AM
Just didn't get the ball forward quickly enough, some poor crosses too.

Stoney Hibee
13-11-2016, 05:06 AM
People talk about the quality of our crossing but it's actually a very inefficient way to score in modern football. I remember reading an analysis of the art of crossing and on average in England's top 4 divisions you only saw a goal from a cross once in 92 crosses. In the Premiership it's dropped from a 1 in 3 crosses reaching a team mate 12 years ago to around 1 in 5. Make of that what you will but I think you'll probably find that our cross completions are probably in line with the rest of the league and crossing is pretty much a gift back to the opposition.

What worries me more is that we seem to find ourselves in these areas more often and can't seem to break our way in via the middle. With the talent we have in midfield you'd have thought we could thread passes more often.

Unless of course you are playing Scotland. Stick three crosses into the box and three goals follow. Simples!

Scouse Hibee
13-11-2016, 06:50 AM
Where to put the ball?

Surely that's in the back of the net, which up until now, he has struggled with

I was responding to the point about his lay offs and passing.

worcesterhibby
13-11-2016, 10:28 AM
I's like to see Graham get a start soon...and Henderson to come back on loan in January

mcfly
13-11-2016, 10:36 AM
We all have our opinions but for me I can't see what shiinnie offers that is better than the other midfielders.

Bartley was ideal for that game yesterday - they are thugs and kicked us and fouled us all day. Bartley would have stopped all that.

Our mid fielders don't score often enough and I'd give brian graham a run in the team. Holt is very slow and although he works hard not a real goal threat.

Overall for me yesterday we ran out of ideas and the ref lost the plot - yet again we were let down by poor officials

The football this year for me is no where near as enjoyable - hopefully our bigger squad seals promotion for us but we need to start scoring more goals

brog
13-11-2016, 10:41 AM
How would a 442 allow us to play McGeough?

Firstly he hasn't been playing due to an injury and secondly who exactly would you place on the bench in favour of him?

I know Shinnie has taken his fair share of criticism this year... he had a bright start and has found better form the past couple of weeks but I think he gets criticised due to the act that he has so much of the ball... he has played big parts in many of our goals recently and I don't think he should be dropped... same goes for SJM and Fyvie... both had good form lately...

If we take out a centre back it allows us to play an extra midfield player, therefore McGeouch, or whoever you prefer, for Fontaine. Our full backs can pretty much still attack at will, no team coming to ER in the league is going to play 3 or 4 up front.

Bostonhibby
13-11-2016, 10:46 AM
Poor balls into the box and 10 men defenses are always hard to break down, just ask Man U last week, on another day with a bit of luck we hammer Falkirk.
Sums up yesterday for me but we play far too many wide passes when we are in a position to have a shot. Need to be a bit braver about taking a shot on.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

brog
13-11-2016, 10:47 AM
[QUOTE=Centre Hawf;4857998]People talk about the quality of our crossing but it's actually a very inefficient way to score in modern football. I remember reading an analysis of the art of crossing and on average in England's top 4 divisions you only saw a goal from a cross once in 92 crosses. In the Premiership it's dropped from a 1 in 3 crosses reaching a team mate 12 years ago to around 1 in 5. Make of that what you will but I think you'll probably find that our cross completions are probably in line with the rest of the league and crossing is pretty much a gift back to the opposition.

What worries me more is that we seem to find ourselves in these areas more often and can't seem to break our way in via the middle. With the talent we have in midfield you'd have thought we could thread passes more often.[/QUOT

I very much agree your thoughts but strangely, while watching Time For Heroes recently it struck me just how many goals in our cup run, sorry triumph, came from wide/crosses. Arguably 2/2, definitely 1/2, versus Raith, 3/3, versus them, 2/3 versus ICT & 2/3 in the final. A minimum of 8/11. So it can be done. Like you though I would like to see many more goals such as Boyle's vs St M, great through ball & fine finish.

Centre Hawf
13-11-2016, 03:23 PM
I very much agree your thoughts but strangely, while watching Time For Heroes recently it struck me just how many goals in our cup run, sorry triumph, came from wide/crosses. Arguably 2/2, definitely 1/2, versus Raith, 3/3, versus them, 2/3 versus ICT & 2/3 in the final. A minimum of 8/11. Do it can be done. Like you though I would like to see many more goals such as Boyle's vs St M, great through ball & fine finish.

I think a big factor in our succesful crosses are that we hit them early. Take a touch and look up its already too late. Defenders dont like facing their own goal. As soon as they can turn and face the odds in the ball beating the first man drops significantly. You need to play the ball early or not at all.

JohnM1875
14-11-2016, 07:19 PM
Speaking of forwards. Was in work today and one of my colleagues who is also a Hibs fan was playing golf at the weekend with someone close to Riordan. Apparently Jason is off in January to Ipswich. Anyone else heard this rumour yet?

NORTHERNHIBBY
14-11-2016, 08:09 PM
Not so sure that another forward is the answer or even the issue. For me at least the issue is goals from other areas where the strikers are blowing more cold than hot. A midfielder getting into double figures and centre halfs each getting half a dozen each over a season.

Big L
14-11-2016, 08:21 PM
Stevie May was scoring goals before he went south, might be worth a wee loan deal. Fit now, apparently!

familyman
14-11-2016, 08:44 PM
There is no doubt that Stevenson gets its himself into great attacking positions, but I would love to know what percentage actually ends up with an effective cross into the box and not passed back to a midfielder (usually the person who gave him the ball in the first place) or a cross that hits the first defender.
Agreed he has not improved although fitter ,gives 100% but never a great player, really a squad player who has a left foot..and there are too few of them..This is a significant reason why we do not score more ..due to poor crossing all too often..sadly. We should have cover in that position and have needed it for ages...

Aldo
14-11-2016, 08:52 PM
Stevie May was scoring goals before he went south, might be worth a wee loan deal. Fit now, apparently!

A player I have always rated!!

Billy Whizz
14-11-2016, 08:55 PM

Playing reserve football now until he gets fit. Is he available, and is he a risk after being out so long?

Dashing Bob S
14-11-2016, 09:00 PM

This is the third season we've been ready to hammer Falkirk with a bit of luck. That one wearing thin now.

J-C
14-11-2016, 09:17 PM
This is the third season we've been ready to hammer Falkirk with a bit of luck. That one wearing thin now.

It wearing I know but the effort was there, just a pity the ref wasn't so bad, he let them away with so much and to be fair, Falkirk are not a team anyone will score bundles against 10 or 11 men, they're well organised.

blackpoolhibs
14-11-2016, 09:45 PM
For the amount of possession we have in almost every game we play, we don't create nearly enough chances in those games.

We had was it 18 corners on Saturday, but apart from our goal, the only other clear cut chance we had was from Fontaines miss in the 2nd half.

I'd say its not a goalscorer we need, but more creativity from the midfield, wide and central.

Danderhall Hibs
14-11-2016, 11:19 PM
For the amount of possession we have in almost every game we play, we don't create nearly enough chances in those games.

We had was it 18 corners on Saturday, but apart from our goal, the only other clear cut chance we had was from Fontaines miss in the 2nd half.

I'd say its not a goalscorer we need, but more creativity from the midfield, wide and central.

:agree: been saying this for a couple of seasons now.

B.H.F.C
14-11-2016, 11:27 PM

Agree with that. For all we go on about width, the central players need to be better in the final third. We've got what I'd consider to be 5 senior central midfielders (Bartley, Fyvie, McGinn, McGeough and Shinnie). After 13 games I think they have two goals between them which is brutal.

I get that some of them aren't renowned for their attacking play but, probably excluding Bartley, they are all very capable on the ball and should be contributing more. We play a lot of passes without going anywhere a lot of the time. At least McGinn seems to have realised in the last couple of games that it's all right to have a shot.

MacGruber
15-11-2016, 08:14 AM
We have a 30 goal a season striker on the bench. It's not rocket science

JDHibs
15-11-2016, 08:43 AM
Why do we need another striker?

Holt spent more time out of the box than anything else on Saturday.

Game wasnt a game for Boyle when they went down to 10 men as there was no space to run into to.

We were firing in poor crosses to Holt who doesnt jump, Cummings (when he came on) and Boyle who are 5ft 8, against at one point 3 centre backs who are all 6ft 2 plus and are very good at heading/attacking the ball. Yet left Brian Graham on the bench who is 6ft 2 and his trademark is attacking the ball in the air and beating defenders to it, can someone explain why when we made 3 subs, one of them wasnt Graham?

All 3 subs done nothing when they came on.

We dont need any more forwards, we have 5 strikers on the books, all have their attributes and all can score goals if given the correct service. Everyone talking about how many crosses and corners, how many were any good? How many corners went into the penalty box and not the first man or over hit? We are very poor at converting crosses considering we have mcgregor, hanlon and fonts who are all good at attacking the ball.

We have scored 23 league goals this season, our 5 strikers have accounted for 17. Dont think the strikers are the problem.

Enough said
15-11-2016, 08:50 AM

Game wasnt a game for Boyle when they went down to 10 men as there was no space to run into to.

We were firing in poor crosses to Holt who doesnt jump, Cummings (when he came on) and Boyle who are 5ft 8, against at one point 3 centre backs who are all 6ft 2 plus and are very good at heading/attacking the ball. Yet left Brian Graham on the bench who is 6ft 2 and his trademark is attacking the ball in the air and beating defenders to it, can someone explain why when we made 3 subs, one of them wasnt Graham?

We dont need any more forwards, we have 5 strikers on the books, all have their attributes and all can score goals if given the correct service. Everyone talking about how many crosses and corners, how many were any good? How many corners went into the penalty box and not the first man or over hit? We are very poor at converting crosses considering we have mcgregor, hanlon and fonts who are all good at attacking the ball.

We have scored 23 league goals this season, our 5 strikers have accounted for 17. Dont think the strikers are the problem.

Top post and absolutely spot. Crossing and deliveries need to be better into the box. Can't understand corners either we never seem to have someone coming in late at the back door.

J-C
15-11-2016, 09:02 AM

:agree:

I didn't get Gray coming off for Harris, must've been the most bizarre sub ever. I get taking off Fontaine and going to a flat back 4 but surely bringing Graham on to partner Holt and playing Boyle wide to use his pace down the flanks to stretch them would've been the answer.

Our midfield is our problem area, we have Fyvie and McGinn who are very similar combative midfielders, they don't offer any guile, Shinnie does but can be a bit slow and ponderous on the ball.

Again the final ball was wasted, either corners being poorly hit or the wingbacks not good enough to get the ball into the right areas, with Falkirk having such big men at the back we needed to stretch the defence and get behind them but we have no natural wide men to do this again for the 3rd year running. Once more a team crams the middle of the pitch knowing we cannot cause problems down the flanks, they're quite happy to let us fire balls from out wide as they can cope easily with them.

GloryGlory
15-11-2016, 09:29 AM
The only downside is they will cost.

Not getting promotion will cost a lot more.

Phil MaGlass
15-11-2016, 10:06 AM
No forward required, an Ivan type player who can move and cross decent balls, a midfield that can get the ball forward quicker without taking 40 bloody passes would also help, a sense of urgency and a "lets get f,n intae thum" mind set from the beginning.

HappyHanlon
15-11-2016, 11:58 AM
*SCAPEGOAT KLAXON*

#PrayForHolt

ancient hibee
15-11-2016, 12:41 PM
Top post and absolutely spot. Crossing and deliveries need to be better into the box. Can't understand corners either we never seem to have someone coming in late at the back door.

Whatever happened to the hard low cross played early behind a retreating/turning defence?

Hiber-nation
15-11-2016, 12:43 PM
Whatever happened to the hard low cross played early behind a retreating/turning defence?

It retired with Arthur Duncan :greengrin

ancient hibee
15-11-2016, 12:47 PM
It retired with Arthur Duncan :greengrin

A lot of those crosses were shots:greengrin