PDA

View Full Version : David Wotherspoon

Highland_Hibee
26-09-2016, 11:31 AM
Just been watching some goal reels on YouTube and one with Sparky seem to particularly highlight a lot of great passes played in by Wotherspoon.

Despite reaching two Scottish Cup finals Wotherspoon lost his place in our side and ultimately left us a tad bitter perhaps after his contract expired heading towards a dark time we would all like to forget.

I always thought at the time he was a great talent but I never see many Hibees hold him in any sort of regard so it might have just been me.

Just wondering what folks opinions of Wotherspoon are for both his time with us and beyond?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy74
26-09-2016, 11:34 AM
Just been watching some goal reels on YouTube and one with Sparky seem to particularly highlight a lot of great passes played in by Wotherspoon.

Despite reaching two Scottish Cup finals Wotherspoon lost his place in our side and ultimately left us a tad bitter perhaps after his contract expired heading towards a dark time we would all like to forget.

I always thought at the time he was a great talent but I never see many Hibees hold him in any sort of regard so it might have just been me.

Just wondering what folks opinions of Wotherspoon are for both his time with us and beyond?

One of these guys who plays well once every four or five weeks.

matty_f
26-09-2016, 11:34 AM

I thought Wotherspoon was a good player with us who suffered from a drop in confidence when things weren't going our way. As a result, it appeared to me that he often hid in games, and a move was probably the best thing for him and for us.

Northernhibee
26-09-2016, 11:35 AM
One of the boo boys targets. A very solid player.

The_Horde
26-09-2016, 11:35 AM
Was always and still is a one step forward, two steps back type of player. Would pull off the most amazing piece of skill and then balloon the cross. That said, he'd do well in this team.

Hibs Class
26-09-2016, 11:38 AM
One of the boo boys targets. A very solid player.

:agree:

Billy Whizz
26-09-2016, 11:39 AM
David could get in our team/squad just now
Hung out to dry by Yogi by playing him at right back.
Treated shabbily by Fenlon by not even putting him on the bench in the 2 Scottish cup finals, at the expense of a few mercenaries.
Glad he's made a good career for himself since leaving Hibs

calumhibee1
26-09-2016, 11:48 AM
Would take him back as a squad player. Our style now would suit him.

JDHibs
26-09-2016, 11:52 AM
Was a scapegoat for the fans.

Has been a consistently good player for a very decent St Js outfit these past few seasons. Unfortunately these fans who look for a scapegoat always find out, Oxley was one and now theyve reverted back to Stevenson, although fyvie gets it alot aswell.

Spoony was a good player, was down on confidence, same with the rest of the team at that time!

Frazerbob
26-09-2016, 12:18 PM
I know he's a boyhood Saitees fan but he didn't appear to be holding any grudges against us on 21-05-16.......he was very much enjoying the celebrations in Leith, sporting a Hibs scarf.

McSwanky
26-09-2016, 12:20 PM
Thought he looked the part when he first broke into the team, but faded badly after a while.

Still remember this though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBQvgKZL5QQ&feature=youtube_gdata

SunshineOnLeith
26-09-2016, 12:21 PM
The very definition of a confidence player. When he got on top of his full back early in a game he could have a stormer, remember him ripping up Kevin McHattie all day in the Scottish Cup derby when he scored the winner.

Unfortunately he played for us during a period when the atmosphere at Easter Road wasn't exactly patient and supportive of Hibs players, and if he didn't start games well he let the boo boys get to him and wouldn't recover.

He's also ridiculously slow for a wide player, even when he did skin someone they'd just catch up with him and he'd have to try and beat the same player 2 or 3 times.

Danderhall Hibs
26-09-2016, 12:24 PM
One of these guys who plays well once every four or five weeks.

:agree: He’d chuck in a good performance just as you were thinking maybe we should drop him.

Andy74
26-09-2016, 12:30 PM
David could get in our team/squad just now
Hung out to dry by Yogi by playing him at right back.
Treated shabbily by Fenlon by not even putting him on the bench in the 2 Scottish cup finals, at the expense of a few mercenaries.
Glad he's made a good career for himself since leaving Hibs

I don't think that stands up to much scrutiny.

Hughes introduced him to the first team, at right back, and he arguably played his best football there and contributed to what was a very decent defence at that time.

Fenlon then had him as an integral part of his team in what was meant to be a more preferred position wide right. He started well and we were a good team to watch at that point when you had him on one side and Cairney on the other.

The problem was that neither could keep it up, they would play well and then disappear for a few weeks. He missed out on the cup finals because he wasn't consistent enough to be there - by May he had been more than found out. Soares for example might not have been fit when he arrived but he scored at a better rate in his ten games or so as Wotherspoon did in his whole time with us.

He'd done okay at St Johnstone, not much more that that, with the same sort of comments from their fans that he can be good but he only does something of note once every few weeks.

AndyB_70
26-09-2016, 12:32 PM
I always find it funny that players the boo boys didn't think were good enough for Hibs went onto play at a higher level than Hibs. We cut them loose and off they go and become integral parts of their new team. Rankin, Craig and Wotherspoon for example. I thought he was good enough and would have developed into a better player when he was here but suffered from a poor manager and the Hibs boo boys who liked nothing more than for him to make a mistake.
Wotherspoon was outside the stadium waiting, with his mates, for the team bus to return from Hampden and was chatting away with a few of the players. Then he wandered off to the pub with his mates.

Andy74
26-09-2016, 12:34 PM
I always find it funny that players the boo boys didn't think were good enough for Hibs went onto play at a higher level than Hibs. We cut them loose and off they go and become integral parts of their new team. Rankin, Craig and Wotherspoon for example. I thought he was good enough and would have developed into a better player when he was here but suffered from a poor manager and the Hibs boo boys who liked nothing more than for him to make a mistake.
Wotherspoon was outside the stadium waiting, with his mates, for the team bus to return from Hampden and was chatting away with a few of the players. Then he wandered off to the pub with his mates.

There are countless players in the top league that wouldn't get a game for Hibs so its not really much of an argument.

Ultrabee1-0
26-09-2016, 01:01 PM
I thought wotherspoon was class as a right back bombing up the wing under yogi, then Calderwood had him at right mid,centre mid and even in a number 10 roll, his goal against hearts in the Scottish cup at ER will always give me joy!! Also the time he ripped the piss out of nade right at the dugout at ER was spectacular!!

Craigmount Hibs
26-09-2016, 01:15 PM
I know he's a boyhood Saitees fan but he didn't appear to be holding any grudges against us on 21-05-16.......he was very much enjoying the celebrations in Leith, sporting a Hibs scarf.

He was sitting behind us in the east stand at the cup final and went absolutely buns like everyone else did.

easty
26-09-2016, 01:23 PM
I'd far rather have Wotherspoon in our squad now than Harris just now.

Though, I'd prefer someone better, and more consistent, than both of them.

Viva_Palmeiras
26-09-2016, 01:36 PM
Sounds like a few folks are of the opinion that the boo boys yet a again should take a bow... And I'm swayed by that argument.

It must be great to be without flaw. Maybe one of them would like to do a [squashed] fly-on-the-wall documentary - maybe it's a project for our Irish rover interviewer chappie? A week in the life of a boo-boy.

But maybe the same level of scrutiny doesn't apply?

Smartie
26-09-2016, 01:38 PM
I really liked him.

Was capable of great moments of skill, could beat a man and scored some memorable goals.

If he did that more consistently then he'd be playing in one of Europe's top leagues - players in Scotland who are like that are a bit hit or miss by nature.

I always think you need to have one of these players around, although not too many - at the moment we have Jason who flits in and out of games, misses chances and cracks goals in from 25 yards.

I think he'd be brilliant in our current team, although I'd probably have him playing in an advanced central midfield role rather than out wide. We want goals from midfield, he'd get into the right positions and be able to execute once he got into them.

Andy74
26-09-2016, 01:46 PM
I really liked him.

Was capable of great moments of skill, could beat a man and scored some memorable goals.

If he did that more consistently then he'd be playing in one of Europe's top leagues - players in Scotland who are like that are a bit hit or miss by nature.

I always think you need to have one of these players around, although not too many - at the moment we have Jason who flits in and out of games, misses chances and cracks goals in from 25 yards.

I think he'd be brilliant in our current team, although I'd probably have him playing in an advanced central midfield role rather than out wide. We want goals from midfield, he'd get into the right positions and be able to execute once he got into them.

We want more than two goals a season from midfield which is pretty much what he averaged with us.

lord bunberry
26-09-2016, 01:51 PM

All the players you mention have taken a step back in their career when leaving hibs. They may be playing at a higher level, but they're playing for smaller clubs. I really liked Wotherspoon he had a touch of class about him, but unfortunately he didn't show it often enough.

Smartie
26-09-2016, 02:12 PM
We want more than two goals a season from midfield which is pretty much what he averaged with us.

Playing in a crap team at a higher level.

I suspect he's improved as a player since he left us as well.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
26-09-2016, 02:17 PM
I thought wotherspoon was class as a right back bombing up the wing under yogi, then Calderwood had him at right mid,centre mid and even in a number 10 roll, his goal against hearts in the Scottish cup at ER will always give me joy!! Also the time he ripped the piss out of nade right at the dugout at ER was spectacular!!

I was hoping we'd persist with him at right back and work on his defending as he reminded me of Whittaker. Similar styles and had plenty energy.

Like some have said previously they weren't the best of times to be a young player coming through in Calderwoods time and what followed

J-C
26-09-2016, 02:27 PM
He was on our bus going to the final and was telling me that Fenlon wanted him to resign and he was promised the number 10 role, he said he didn't trust him as he never played him there at any other time. Good player who was unfortunate to play through some poor managers and out of position a lot of the time, never a winger or wingbacks but a fairly clever no.10 who never got a chance to prove it, suffered from the fact he could play in various positions.

Deansy
26-09-2016, 02:38 PM
Wothersppon IS a very good player, unfortunately, he's one of those players who needs support constantly and when fans have a go at him his game suffers. His time here wasn't helped by him being played constantly in different positions when, for me, his ideal position is as an attacking mid-fielder - he was NEVER going to be a success defensively !

lucky
26-09-2016, 02:38 PM
Decent skill just no heart. He contributed to our downfall as a mediocre player.

woodythehibee
26-09-2016, 02:40 PM
I was always pro-Spoony during his time. Thought his delivery and technique was excellent. I think his running style always made him look as if she was shattered after about 10 mins though which may not have helped. Shame how it ended for him.

By all accounts though, he still holds the Hibs in high regard. I'm sure he is married to a hibee and his father-in-law is a die hard hibee.

brog
26-09-2016, 02:52 PM

Hughes introduced him to the first team, at right back, and he arguably played his best football there and contributed to what was a very decent defence at that time.

Fenlon then had him as an integral part of his team in what was meant to be a more preferred position wide right. He started well and we were a good team to watch at that point when you had him on one side and Cairney on the other.

The problem was that neither could keep it up, they would play well and then disappear for a few weeks. He missed out on the cup finals because he wasn't consistent enough to be there - by May he had been more than found out. Soares for example might not have been fit when he arrived but he scored at a better rate in his ten games or so as Wotherspoon did in his whole time with us.

He'd done okay at St Johnstone, not much more that that, with the same sort of comments from their fans that he can be good but he only does something of note once every few weeks.

Not really true, Hughes started him in midfield, he scored on his debut IIRC. He was moved to RB because, again IIRC of injury to Kevin McCann. As for a decent defence, I remember the 1st Yams game that season & our back 4 was Spoony, Hogg, Ian Murray & Lewis!! I think you may have rose tinted specs on when looking back at that time!

jdships
26-09-2016, 03:15 PM
IMO he is one of hundreds of young players ( myself included) who over many many years have looked so good as youngsters but didn't have what it takes to get into "the big time "
I was told I " showed a lot of promise and skill " at 17 and by 19/20 the message from the manager was
" sorry lad don't think you have what it takes to make it at this level " and I was " freed"
I have seen quite a bit of DW playing for St J on Tv and he looks no more than a " handy squad player"
Unfortunately the path to football success is littered with players like myself and to an extent DW :greengrin

Billy Whizz
26-09-2016, 03:22 PM

He actually started playing for Hibs as a forward, scored around his debut. He was never a right back in a million years. Trying again Andy to stick up for Fenlon! Wotherspoon I agree needed much more consistency, but maybe he was a confidence player, and Pat didn't support him, possibly almost wrecked his career.Don't get me started on Tom Soares, up with one of the worst of all time!

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-09-2016, 03:41 PM
Left us and won a Scottish Cup winners medal. Playing in a level above Hibs. Not sure that he will be doing too much looking back.

northstandhibby
26-09-2016, 03:47 PM
I was sad when spoony left us. A very decent skillful talented player and seemed a very decent lad.

GGTTH

Andy74
26-09-2016, 03:54 PM
He actually started playing for Hibs as a forward, scored around his debut. He was never a right back in a million years. Trying again Andy to stick up for Fenlon! Wotherspoon I agree needed much more consistency, but maybe he was a confidence player, and Pat didn't support him, possibly almost wrecked his career.Don't get me started on Tom Soares, up with one of the worst of all time!

Yet Soares scored 2 in 10 games. Wotherspoon generally took a season to get to that tally.

He had plenty of chances under Fenlon, wide right and in behind and he was very inconsistent. I'm not sure how playing a player most weeks in positions that they are supposed to favour is wrecking their career?

He might have won the cup with St Johnstone but he doesn't seem any more of a player now than we he had these managers all ruining him.

Players like him are largely why we got a reputation for being okay on our day but our day happened once a month or so.

Billy Whizz
26-09-2016, 04:11 PM
Yet Soares scored 2 in 10 games. Wotherspoon generally took a season to get to that tally.

He had plenty of chances under Fenlon, wide right and in behind and he was very inconsistent. I'm not sure how playing a player most weeks in positions that they are supposed to favour is wrecking their career?

He might have won the cup with St Johnstone but he doesn't seem any more of a player now than we he had these managers all ruining him.

Players like him are largely why we got a reputation for being okay on our day but our day happened once a month or so.

All about opinions😄

shetlandhibee
26-09-2016, 04:16 PM
changing the subject slightly in the early hours after the cup final, i met his father inlaw and pal(sound fanatical hibees)in a taxi queue, they said DW had been at the game with them that day and when hibs went up to lift the scottish cup david was crying tears of joy bigtime(like the rest of us:agree:) david just loves hibs. imo he would be a good squad player for us just now, but cant see it happen ,, the ronaldoesque stepovers build up to the goal against hearts will live long in the memory.. good luck to him:thumbsup:

hibsbollah
26-09-2016, 04:22 PM
The very definition of a confidence player. When he got on top of his full back early in a game he could have a stormer, remember him ripping up Kevin McHattie all day in the Scottish Cup derby when he scored the winner.

Unfortunately he played for us during a period when the atmosphere at Easter Road wasn't exactly patient and supportive of Hibs players, and if he didn't start games well he let the boo boys get to him and wouldn't recover.

He's also ridiculously slow for a wide player, even when he did skin someone they'd just catch up with him and he'd have to try and beat the same player 2 or 3 times.

:agree:
My take on it also. Looked amazing when he broke into the team, faded badly and kept getting picked, had a run of decent games and faded badly again. A disappointing player.

J-C
26-09-2016, 06:25 PM
changing the subject slightly in the early hours after the cup final, i met his father inlaw and pal(sound fanatical hibees)in a taxi queue, they said DW had been at the game with them that day and when hibs went up to lift the scottish cup david was crying tears of joy bigtime(like the rest of us:agree:) david just loves hibs. imo he would be a good squad player for us just now, but cant see it happen ,, the ronaldoesque stepovers build up to the goal against hearts will live long in the memory.. good luck to him:thumbsup:

As I said he was on our bus to the final with his mates, scarf and all and was very proud to be there supporting Hibs, didn't have a good thing to say about Fenlon, in fact he just smiled and said he'd rather talk about something else instead.:greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
26-09-2016, 06:26 PM

Did he? I could've sworn he started at right back. He was excellent for a wee while there. Needed a rest before folk got on his back, unfortunately that rest never came.

Dom'sFirstTouch
26-09-2016, 07:27 PM
He scored 9 goals in 35 league games for St Johnstone last year, which is better than any of our midfield managed at a lower level for a more dominant team. Personally I wish we'd kept him as I always thought he had, and still has, the makings of a good spl level attacking midfielder. He was inconsistent but the glimpses he showed were enough to merit more patience imo.

Based purely on his performances at Hibs though, he'd been on an extended run of poor form and his confidence seemed to be gone. His move was probably best for both parties at the time and he's not really worth the amount of threads that have appeared regarding him since.

PatHead
26-09-2016, 08:27 PM

Know his father in law, Stevie, really well and have done since he was at school. He has a season ticket just behind the dugout and has done for a number of years.

Spoony had a shot playing the drum in Asda at Hampden after the game. My daughter filmed him!

eastterrace
26-09-2016, 09:35 PM
I was hoping we'd persist with him at right back and work on his defending as he reminded me of Whittaker. Similar styles and had plenty energy. Like some have said previously they weren't the best of times to be a young player coming through in Calderwoods time and what followed nothing like Whittaker . The boy was average at best . Still love him for that cup goal against them tho

Nicho87
26-09-2016, 09:43 PM
Spoony was on our bus and drew the raffle pre match in our braw wee bowling club organised by hibs retro. Top lad.

Stevie Reid
26-09-2016, 09:48 PM

Wotherspoon only ever played in midfield or at right back for Hibs, wasn't a forward for us. He scored on his debut v St. Mirren in Yogi's first game, when he played right midfield in place of an injured Zemamma.

He had a very good run at RB under Yogi, but lost his way after that. When Fenlon arrived I couldn't have cared if Wotherspoon was cleared out, but by the time his contract ended I was quite sad to see him go.

jgl07
26-09-2016, 10:19 PM
In Wotherspoon's last season, he was Hibs third top scorer after Griffiths and Doyle. All three left. No prizes for guess what happened the next season.

Sir David Gray
26-09-2016, 10:35 PM
I hope no-one will get all dewy-eyed here.

What we got from David Wotherspoon was a lot of mediocrity, very little in the way of brilliance and no real signs that he was ever going to command a place in our team at a time when we had some terrible players on our books.

It was absolutely right that he left when he did.

blackpoolhibs
27-09-2016, 08:45 AM
He had his best run under Hughes, but was never consistent after that.

Probably because he was playing with a lot of sheite and he blended in well, but was never the worst?

Most of us wanted better, but as usual we replaced a player or indeed players with no better and sometimes worse.

Billy Whizz
27-09-2016, 08:50 AM
He had his best run under Hughes, but was never consistent after that.

Probably because he was playing with a lot of sheite and he blended in well, but was never the worst?

Most of us wanted better, but as usual we replaced a player or indeed players with no better and sometimes worse.

BH, you're not suggesting that Pat brought in duds, are you!