PDA

View Full Version : 2 bad decisions cost us that game

MyJo
17-09-2016, 03:58 PM
It was never a red card and WTF was Marciano doing letting the ball roll out for a corner when we are a man down, he should be diving at that or at the very least trying to punt it for a throw in instead.

Billychaotic182
17-09-2016, 04:00 PM
Was definitely a red card!

neil7908
17-09-2016, 04:01 PM
Don't think it was a red. Really disappointing as we should have been 2 or 3 up before that

DaveF
17-09-2016, 04:02 PM
I'm assuming marciano has a hamstring or groin injury?

Ozyhibby
17-09-2016, 04:03 PM
Was def a red card. Bartley has cost us that game[emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dashing Bob S
17-09-2016, 04:03 PM
Crap tackle by Bartley, bad goalkeeping and terrible defending. We can't blame the ref or a dull but organised Ayr side, who were very limited. Total architects of our own demise.

Bartlett - silly, Rocky, Stevenson and Hanlon - poor show.

Stevie Reid
17-09-2016, 04:04 PM
Marciano could have gone for a cup of tea and still kept that ball in.

ShinyFantastic
17-09-2016, 04:05 PM
From Neil Lennon. And from Marvin Bartley. Wake up.

hibee_girl
17-09-2016, 04:05 PM
It was a definitely a red card

Brooster
17-09-2016, 04:08 PM
A red card all day long. Bartley has cost us 3 points today. Watching him brought back memories of watching Kevin Thomson sitting in front of the back four doing nothing against a team who are playing 451... annoying.

Pretty Boy
17-09-2016, 04:08 PM
Definitely a red and woeful goalkeeping.

horseflesh
17-09-2016, 04:09 PM
Poor finishing (again) cost us this game

gando
17-09-2016, 04:11 PM
If that was a red card the game is up pole completly

steelendhibs
17-09-2016, 04:11 PM
The most obvious red card you will ever see. What is more annoying is that there was no need to do it...where was the immediate danger?!?!?! Shame as he was our best player up until that point IMO. Roll on next week.

Draw in the Falkirk united game would do nicely

buktadays
17-09-2016, 04:13 PM

Absolutely. They had 3 on goal, 3 on target and 2 of them went in. We had like 15 shots on goal and couldn't hit the back of the net again! Seen a lot of that somewhere before[emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boyle89
17-09-2016, 04:14 PM
How was it not a foul before Bartley lunged in though?! He had 3 men on him pulling him down.

steelendhibs
17-09-2016, 04:16 PM
How was it not a foul before Bartley lunged in though?! He had 3 men on him pulling him down.

Doesn't matter if it was a foul before the lunge. It was in the middle of the field with no immediate danger to our goal. If the ref doesn't give a foul making a red card lunge won't make the situation better.

These things happen. I still think we will win this league with a bit to spare

H18S NX
17-09-2016, 04:17 PM
Dinnae understand why the keeper did'nt even try to get to the ball before it went over for the corner,def red card,but come on 14 shots to 3,That's where we are losing it.

Thecat23
17-09-2016, 04:19 PM
Did Ayr deserve it? Did they play better than us? Or was it one of those smash and grab games??

Sounds to me like we played fine just couldn't score and the red changed the game with the keeper chucking it too.

Boyle89
17-09-2016, 04:21 PM
Doesn't matter if it was a foul before the lunge. It was in the middle of the field with no immediate danger to our goal. If the ref doesn't give a foul making a red card lunge won't make the situation better.

These things happen. I still think we will win this league with a bit to spare
I'm not saying it wasn't stupid of Bartley to dive in but if the refs give us the foul then there is no lunge from Bartley.

hibee_girl
17-09-2016, 04:21 PM
Did Ayr deserve it? Did they play better than us? Or was it one of those smash and grab games??

Sounds to me like we played fine just couldn't score and the red changed the game with the keeper chucking it too.

Wouldn't say they deserved it, we were just too slow when we were going forward. Same old story really.

Don't think the red changed the game either, I think we'd have been fine if the keeper had been quicker

Bishop Hibee
17-09-2016, 04:24 PM
Definite red and God knows why the keeper let the ball go for a corner for the first. Looked ropey at the first goal too.

Centre Hawf
17-09-2016, 04:28 PM
Absolutely a stupid challenge from Marvin Bartley, we probably didn't need him on the park at home against a side that were insisting on setting up a mini festival in their own 18 yard box.

We showed little spark and I'd honestly be surprised if we created any more than 4/5 chances in the whole game, against a dull Ayr side. Crossing was absolutely abysmal, why do we insist on taking 2 or 3 touches before swinging it into a ready to be defended box when a first time ball would catch them out?

Time to earn yer corn Lennon. Few decision to be made I think.

calumhibee1
17-09-2016, 04:28 PM

We played ok and deserved to win by a couple. Bartleys red totally changed the game. Defo a red however if the foul on him had of been given before hand it would never have happened.

Nakedmanoncrack
17-09-2016, 04:29 PM
Disappointing & very familiar unfortunately - should have been out of sight by half time, unfortunately Cummings is the only player capable of scoring regularly, he at least scored a fine goal. Should still have been able to add more with 10 men & tbh didn't seem in much danger until the keeper decided to intervene - he's had little to do since he joined, but has done nothing to suggest he's the player he was made out to be. Also worth noting they were also down to 10 men at the time we inexplicably gave them that corner from which they scored. Next week will be very difficult - would take a draw.

Pete
17-09-2016, 04:30 PM
Wouldn't say they deserved it, we were just too slow when we were going forward. Same old story really.

Don't think the red changed the game either, I think we'd have been fine if the keeper had been quicker

I think the red definitely changed the game as we were in total control up to then. Bartley was snuffing out everything in the middle of the park and it was only poor finishing that was letting us down.

Don't know what Hanlon and the keeper were up to for the first and he seems quite quiet and timid.

Let's hope that this is the shock result out the way and we can move on.

cleanyman
17-09-2016, 04:33 PM
The Bartley tackle was idiotic

Christ knows what the goalie is doing before and at the goal

hibbysam
17-09-2016, 04:41 PM
If the big huddy that Bartley tackled had been sent off when he should have, i.e. The first half, then the tackle wouldn't have been made! He just ran around chucking himself into tackles and elbowing people heading the ball

ShadesLongThrow
17-09-2016, 04:41 PM
Most frustrating thing for me is why we don't run at pace into the box. Every time McGinn went past his man he drew a foul- but it was 40 yards out. The same driving runs but further up the park would be a likely penalty. When we get to the 18 yard line, we revert to a tip tap game trying to thread the perfect pass through 10 defenders.

neil7908
17-09-2016, 04:42 PM
I still think our formation and shape isn't right in these kind of games. We don't need Bartley and Fyvie both pretty much sitting deep. It was left to McGinn to try and dictate the game but he needed some help. We should be absolutely hammering teams like this at home and I don't think we're set up to do that

Real Emerald
17-09-2016, 04:42 PM

No way did they deserve it but it was a terrible lazy Hibs performance in the sun. The goalkeeper really worries me too and we're now back to the constant passsing in fromt of teams. Cummings scored a brilliant goal today but could have been in the stand for the rest of the game. We need players to drive and commit these defences, today there was very little drive.

neil7908
17-09-2016, 04:43 PM
Most frustrating thing for me is why we don't run at pace into the box. Every time McGinn went past his man he drew a foul- but it was 40 yards out. The same driving runs but further up the park would be a likely penalty. When we get to the 18 yard line, we revert to a tip tap game trying to thread the perfect pass through 10 defenders.

Agreed, we still look ponderous on the ball at times and McGinn was our only player willing to run at them and take folk on

DaveF
17-09-2016, 04:59 PM
I still think our formation and shape isn't right in these kind of games. We don't need Bartley and Fyvie both pretty much sitting deep. It was left to McGinn to try and dictate the game but he needed some help. We should be absolutely hammering teams like this at home and I don't think we're set up to do that

Completely agree. Lennon can't afford to make the same mistakes Stubbs did against these teams.

Our piss poor crossing and reluctance to drive into the box at pace is fast becoming a major pain.

Up the tempo Lennon. Today was nowhere near good enough.

blackpoolhibs
17-09-2016, 05:02 PM
II still think our formation and shape isn't right in these kind of games. We don't need Bartley and Fyvie both pretty much sitting deep.t was left to McGinn to try and dictate the game but he needed some help. We should be absolutely hammering teams like this at home and I don't think we're set up to do that

What the hell do we know eh, :agree: i wonder just how many more seasons we will be saying exactly the same thing week after week after week?

cabbageandribs1875
17-09-2016, 05:13 PM
It was never a red card and WTF was Marciano doing letting the ball roll out for a corner when we are a man down, he should be diving at that or at the very least trying to punt it for a throw in instead.

even if we had 11 men he still should have shown a little more effort to get that ball before it went out, it certainly confused me why he did that

and as for our crossing...i'l be polite and say it was ******* abysmal, i better not say who the most consistent poor crosser was though, imo of course

staunchhibby
17-09-2016, 05:24 PM
Goalkeeper atrocious today.Time cummings was given some bench time.Only thing he done today was score the goal.

Golden Bear
17-09-2016, 05:27 PM
Didn't get a clear enough view of the Bartley tackle but the keeper was definitely at fault for not preventing the corner and he looked as soft as putty when the corner kick came over.

Radium
17-09-2016, 05:32 PM
Thought the red was out of context with the other decisions being made by the ref - in particular the tag contest on McGinn.

Zonal defence for a corner when you are a man down - one player covering 4 runners and we wonder why, with a decent delivery one of them gets their head on it.

Shinnie chases a ball high on the pitch leaving Stevenson exposed and we lose a second..

hibbysam
17-09-2016, 05:32 PM
Goalkeeper atrocious today.Time cummings was given some bench time.Only thing he done today was score the goal.

Isn't that what he is supposed to do?? **** me someone scoring 8 in 6 and we want him benched lol

Sammy7nil
17-09-2016, 05:59 PM
I'm assuming marciano has a hamstring or groin injury?

I think he has he grimiced in pain when he went for the ball and gave up. Which begs the question why is playing?

Speedway
17-09-2016, 06:46 PM
2 Decisions That Cost Us The Game

1. The decision not to be so fired up that the game is out sight by half time.

2,. The decision to not learn from previous games and require yet another wake up call in this, our third season in the second tier of Scottish football.

Sir David Gray
17-09-2016, 06:51 PM

Do you realise how ridiculous that sounds?

I don't even want to contemplate where we would be in the table right now if it wasn't for Jason Cummings.

matty_f
17-09-2016, 06:57 PM
I thought Lennon should have done better when we went to ten men. We lost our shape completely and nobody seemed to know what the plan was.

Imho, Shinnie should have been subbed for McGeoch and we should have shored up the midfield and protected the lead.

pacoluna
17-09-2016, 07:00 PM
A red card all day long. Bartley has cost us 3 points today. Watching him brought back memories of watching Kevin Thomson sitting in front of the back four doing nothing against a team who are playing 451... annoying.

Thought bart played well up until red card, nullified any possible counter attack by Ayr.

Nakedmanoncrack
17-09-2016, 07:07 PM
I thought Lennon should have done better when we went to ten men. We lost our shape completely and nobody seemed to know what the plan was.

Imho, Shinnie should have been subbed for McGeoch and we should have shored up the midfield and protected the lead.

:agree:

How the hell did Shinnie stay on so long, I like what I've see of him before today, but he repeatedly made wrong choices & it clearly wasn't his day.

Eyrie
17-09-2016, 08:59 PM
:agree:

How the hell did Shinnie stay on so long, I like what I've see of him before today, but he repeatedly made wrong choices & it clearly wasn't his day.

Shinnie's day was summed up in the second half when he got the ball in their box with no defenders within five yards and managed to turn his back to goal before eventually shuffling round and having a poor effort on goal.

Actually, that moment summed up the entire team's attacking efforts - slow and inept.

The Leith Dutch
17-09-2016, 09:17 PM

This this this.

They didn't win because of a stupid red card.

They won because, like last season we can't put teams away despite dominating play.
As bad as the defensive lapses were they cost us dear because we didn't score goals - we should have been 2 or 3 up and out of sight in that first half but we were pedestrian in the build up.

We average 2 goals a game - that's nowhere near good enough against p**h like Ayr United.

Good teams have a minimum 40-50% return as you go through shots/shots on target/goals.
We regularly get 15+ shots with around half on target but leave with 1 or 2 goals.
That has cost us points every year we've been down here.

Just hope these one's are not crucial come the end of the season.

The Leith Dutch
17-09-2016, 09:30 PM

While I'd agree you don't get much with Cummings other than goals there are plenty brilliant strikers you could say the same about.
I think he needs to take more of his chances but the real problems today were elsewhere - nobody creating good chances and lots of slow ponderous passing in front of 11 men packing the defence.

Cummings is the least of our issues right now - 8 goals in 6 games.

I don't think we should be playing 4 at the back plus Fyvie and Bartley against Ayr United.
I like Fyvie a lot but I feel today we were relying on McGinn, Shinnie, Gray and Stevenson for the creativity.
None of them had a particularly good game today on the creative side as I saw it barring a couple of moments from McGinn and Gray.

calumhibee1
17-09-2016, 09:32 PM

Words fail me.

Pretty Boy
17-09-2016, 09:54 PM
I don't understand how anyone can seriously suggest benching Cummings. 8 goals in 6 games and no other player chipping in with any goals, OG is our joint 2nd top scorer in the league.

The lad has plenty to learn but when you have a goalscorer like him then you play him.

monktonharp
17-09-2016, 09:56 PM
while many have complained about the goalie not stopping the corner from happening, was it not actually Hanlon's silly pass back at too much speed which stopped our goalie going for it? the keeper was shocking, at both their goals today but the corner situation was caused by a.n.other.

PiemanP
17-09-2016, 10:18 PM
I would certainly not be dropping Cummings. As you saw today he can pull a goal out of nothing. Holy I feel is due a spell on the bench...

I'd certainly drop Lewis Stevenson though. Drspute being a double cup winner (an impressive feat, I admit) he is way below the standard required.

killie-hibby
17-09-2016, 11:03 PM
Unusually in the first half we were playing towards the Famous Five stand. The last time I remember this happening was against Sevco. On both ocassions we lost.Would someone correct me if I am wrong.
It seems a coincidence as in reality it should make no difference as to what direction you are playing towards unless
there was a low blinding sun or a strong wind.
Are Hibs so used to kicking off towards the South Stand that a reversal becomes a hindrance.

MyJo
17-09-2016, 11:11 PM
Unusually in the first half we were playing towards the Famous Five stand. The last time I remember this happening was against Sevco. On both ocassions we lost.Would someone correct me if I am wrong.
It seems a coincidence as in reality it should make no difference as to what direction you are playing towards unless
there was a low blinding sun or a strong wind.
Are Hibs so used to kicking off towards the South Stand that a reversal becomes a hindrance.

I said at the start when they swapped ends that we were shooting the wrong way, possibly a tactic to disrupt us?

Drewster
17-09-2016, 11:51 PM

100% we needed 3 at the back and Boyle or/and Keatings getting the ball
where Gray and Stevenson where creating 0%

J-C
18-09-2016, 12:06 AM
Our finishing is atrocious at times, I watched the warm up and especially the shooting drill, Keatings and Boyle were the only ones hitting the target regularly and they were on the bench. :confused:

AFKA5814_Hibs
18-09-2016, 12:09 AM
Sending off yes, bad goalkeeping yes.

FitbaFolkKen
18-09-2016, 12:30 AM
I thought Graham should have got his head on the first, looks like he has left it to someone else and ducked out the way.

matty_f
18-09-2016, 12:40 AM
Have seen the replay of the ref card on Ayr's YouTube highlights and I'm not convinced it's anywhere close to a red card. A full, yes, but he didn't have his studs up or go in with undue force.

Wouldn't complain about a booking for it, hope Hibs appeal the decision.

FitbaFolkKen
18-09-2016, 01:06 AM
Have seen the replay of the ref card on Ayr's YouTube highlights and I'm not convinced it's anywhere close to a red card. A full, yes, but he didn't have his studs up or go in with undue force.

Looks more like he went over the ball and stood on his foot to be honest.

Jdawg
18-09-2016, 01:43 AM
Playing 2 defensive midfielders against Ayr, terrible. Play Fyvie and McGinn, a decent left winger, let Shinnie float and use Gray for width on the right. That will allow Stevenson concentrate on playing left back.

matty_f
18-09-2016, 07:24 AM

He definitely fouled the boy but I don't think it was a red card.

LaMotta
18-09-2016, 07:36 AM

Didnt think it was a red at the time and having seen it on youtube still dont.

The Ayr guys pathetic reaction gets him sent off. The irony is Ayr had been kicking folk for the whole game!.

Cant believe the stick Bartley is getting and that some people think it was a clear red.

See worse challenges in a primary school game.

Pretty Boy
18-09-2016, 07:37 AM
I said at the start when they swapped ends that we were shooting the wrong way, possibly a tactic to disrupt us?

I thought it was Hibs choice.

When the teams came out their keeper ran away up to the box at the Dunbar end but Marciano stood in the centre circle as though he was expecting to have to swap ends if we won the toss.

Could be wrong but that was my take. No idea what the thinkinh was behind it if it was our choice.

J-C
18-09-2016, 07:54 AM

He definitely fouled the boy but I don't think it was a red card.

I had a perfect view of it, he lost control of the ball and slid in and caught him on the ankle, it looked more like a clumsy challenge rather than a nasty one but he wasn't in control when he did slide in and maybe that's why the ref gave a red, I thought it was harsh but I understood why it was given, just one of those silly tackles if you go to ground you're off and if you stay on you're feet it's a yellow.

Keith_M
18-09-2016, 07:55 AM
Hibs got so much wrong in yesterday's game, team selection, tactics, poor finishing... that's what should be concentrated on, otherwise there are a lot more games like yesterday still to come.

blackpoolhibs
18-09-2016, 10:05 AM
It's a very soft sending off in my opinion, a foul yes but the ref never gave himself a chance to think about it and went straight for the red card.

I sometimes feel these referee's think they need to make a statement during our games, be seen to make people know they are in charge rather than just let the game flow and get on with it.

It would not have been a sending off in the celtc sevco game last week, but we all know they need to be referee'd differently. :rolleyes:

hibbysam
18-09-2016, 10:34 AM
I thought it was Hibs choice.

When the teams came out their keeper ran away up to the box at the Dunbar end but Marciano stood in the centre circle as though he was expecting to have to swap ends if we won the toss.

Could be wrong but that was my take. No idea what the thinkinh was behind it if it was our choice.

Hibs kicked off so it was definitely an Ayr decision.

rcarter1
18-09-2016, 11:17 AM
Didnt think it was a red at the time and having seen it on youtube still dont.

The Ayr guys pathetic reaction gets him sent off. The irony is Ayr had been kicking folk for the whole game!.

Cant believe the stick Bartley is getting and that some people think it was a clear red.

See worse challenges in a primary school game.

Agree, just seen it now on Hibs TV. Now Im only seeing it one angle, but If thats a straight red, then most games should end up 5-a-side. Clumsy, maybe a booking (we've seen challenges like this on our players that didn't receive even that.)

Depending on the availability of footage that could clarify what happened, Id be looking for Hibs to appeal that one.

LaMotta
18-09-2016, 11:53 AM
Agree, just seen it now on Hibs TV. Now Im only seeing it one angle, but If thats a straight red, then most games should end up 5-a-side. Clumsy, maybe a booking (we've seen challenges like this on our players that didn't receive even that.)

Depending on the availability of footage that could clarify what happened, Id be looking for Hibs to appeal that one.

Agreed.

McGinns red v Falkirk last year was a similar but worse challenge and we succesfully appealed that.

weecounty hibby
18-09-2016, 04:00 PM
It would have been red if the ref had been consistent and sent off at least one of their players for some of the tackles in the first half. McGinn was fouled time and again and one was particularly late. Should only have been a booking given what went on before. Very poor decision by the ref

The Leith Dutch
18-09-2016, 05:41 PM
It's a very soft sending off in my opinion, a foul yes but the ref never gave himself a chance to think about it and went straight for the red card.

Spot on about the ref not giving himself a chance to think.

Should almost be a mandate that after the ref blows for a foul he should give himself 20 seconds or so before producing a card.
The idea that instinct without thought is the way to go is pretty insulting.

MWHIBBIES
18-09-2016, 05:48 PM
People saying you don't get much from Cummings other than goals weren't at Falkirk, St Mirren or Morton.

lord bunberry
18-09-2016, 06:06 PM
I didn't think it was a red card at the time and having watched the highlights I still don't think it was a red card. It's not like dives in our is high. The ref couldn't wait to get the card out of his pocket. The referee was dreadful yesterday.