PDA

View Full Version : NHC (Duty Free Gift for Irish Residents)

BSEJVT
11-07-2016, 02:06 PM
Hope someone can help

I am off to Eire for a night to see clients (who are putting me up for the night)

I wanted to take them something that I could purchase from Duty Free ( as I am flying)

I was thinking of a bottle of Jameson's or Bushmills, but whisky isn't my thing at all

What would those it the know recommend, it doesn't have to be those 2

Thanks

southsider
11-07-2016, 02:15 PM
Hope someone can help

I am off to Eire for a night to see clients (who are putting me up for the night)

I wanted to take them something that I could purchase from Duty Free ( as I am flying)

I was thinking of a bottle of Jameson's or Bushmills, but whisky isn't my thing at all

What would those it the know recommend, it doesn't have to be those 2

Thanks
A good malt, Bowmore or Laphroaig with some shortbread should do the trick.

BSEJVT
11-07-2016, 02:28 PM
A good malt, Bowmore or Laphroaig with some shortbread should do the trick.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I should have been clearer in my post

They are Scottish and have a cottage for 3 months in Co Sligo so I am looking for something Irish.

He has committed me to drinking Guinness (which for a lifelong lager only drinking man like me is going to be a challenge) so I thought I should reciprocate in kind with an Irish whisky or the like

JeMeSouviens
11-07-2016, 02:42 PM
Jameson's is cooking whisky and tbh, Bushmills isn't much better. Pretty bland stuff.

Our whisky is much better (sorry, I realise that didn't help but it had to be said).

Pretty Boy
11-07-2016, 02:44 PM
If you are going to go for an easy to source bottle then Bushmills is definitely the right choice, it's far superior to Jamesons.

If the selection at Duty free is good you may well get a bottle of Green Spot. It's quite rare but absolutely fantastic. Again in the rarer category a Teeling Single Grain or a Connemara Peated. If you wanted to go down the comedy route ******' Irish Whiskey usually raises a chuckle.

BSEJVT
11-07-2016, 02:45 PM
Jameson's is cooking whisky and tbh, Bushmills isn't much better. Pretty bland stuff.

Our whisky is much better (sorry, I realise that didn't help but it had to be said).

Thanks, whisky is totally lost on me, other than to dampen down toothache I never touch the stuff.

green leaves
11-07-2016, 02:52 PM
Thanks, whisky is totally lost on me, other than to dampen down toothache I never touch the stuff.

A wee tip whisky is Scottish whiskey is Irish.

BSEJVT
11-07-2016, 02:57 PM
A wee tip whisky is Scottish whiskey is Irish.

Thanks for the tip

Any input on whether Bushmills or Jamesons is as bad as JMS suggests and which is the lesser of the 2 evils.

As I am not going to drink it I am not too bothered personally and it feels righter to me than taking a Scottish Malt as my hosts are emersing themselves in the "Irish" experience

Moulin Yarns
11-07-2016, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the tip

Any input on whether Bushmills or Jamesons is as bad as JMS suggests and which is the lesser of the 2 evils.

As I am not going to drink it I am not too bothered personally and it feels righter to me than taking a Scottish Malt as my hosts are emersing themselves in the "Irish" experience

As the old joke goes, all Irish Whiskey is triple distilled as it took them three tries to get it right :wink: (Scotch whisky is double distilled)

From memory Jameson 1780 is the better Jameson while Bushmills 1680 single malt is the one to go for. Bushmills is now owned by Diagio so is part of the world's largest drinks group. Not forgetting Bushmills is in Norn Irn and Jameson is southern.

weecounty hibby
11-07-2016, 03:44 PM
Bushmills is no longer part of Diageo. Sold off in return for a tequila brand. The Jamieson of Jamiesons whiskey was Scottish and is actually buried in Alloa. Doesn't help with your question but every day is a school day!!

BSEJVT
11-07-2016, 03:45 PM
As the old joke goes, all Irish Whiskey is triple distilled as it took them three tries to get it right :wink: (Scotch whisky is double distilled)

From memory Jameson 1780 is the better Jameson while Bushmills 1680 single malt is the one to go for. Bushmills is now owned by Diagio so is part of the world's largest drinks group. Not forgetting Bushmills is in Norn Irn and Jameson is southern.

Thanks that's very helpful

Its looking like Jameson's 1780

Scouse Hibee
11-07-2016, 04:25 PM
Is Irish whiskey not vodka? Take a bottle of Grey Goose.:-)