PDA

View Full Version : Ben Nevis

hibby19
29-06-2016, 07:13 PM
This coming weekend myself and a group of mates are heading up Ben Nevis. Just looking for a bit of advice from any fellow Hibby's that have done it before? Any advice or pointers will be greatly appreciated!

I think I am more or less ready but always good to get that little bit more info!

Pretty Boy
29-06-2016, 08:34 PM
What route are you taking?

I've done 3 and tbh the 'tourist trail' isn't great. It's a bit of a slog and would make you believe the mountain is a bit boring which it really isn't. In saying that on a clear day you will still get some cracking views on the way up and from the summit.

For me the Carn Mor Dearg Arete route is the best way up but it's not for beginners and requires a bit mild scrambling ability. It does give you the bonus of 2 Munros for one though.

Enjoy it whatever way you go. Remember to pack smart, the summit temperature can hit 1 degrees even in July, plenty water and snacks.

matty_f
29-06-2016, 09:55 PM
What route are you taking?

I've done 3 and tbh the 'tourist trail' isn't great. It's a bit of a slog and would make you believe the mountain is a bit boring which it really isn't. In saying that on a clear day you will still get some cracking views on the way up and from the summit.

For me the Carn Mor Dearg Arete route is the best way up but it's not for beginners and requires a bit mild scrambling ability. It does give you the bonus of 2 Munros for one though.

Enjoy it whatever way you go. Remember to pack smart, the summit temperature can hit 1 degrees even in July, plenty water and snacks.

Have done the tourist trail twice, and slog is the right word for it. Good thing is you don't encounter anything that will cause you too much trouble, and there are some nice views.

Wear good footwear, dress sensibly, take scran.

hibby19
30-06-2016, 05:59 PM
We will be doing the tourist trail. The weather isn't meant to be all that great this weekend so not sure how much we'll be able to see but here's hoping!

Thanks for the advice guys!