PDA

View Full Version : Travelex Supercard

offshorehibby
14-06-2016, 11:20 AM
Travelex who do foreign currency and various other travel/money transactions had a debit for foreign travel on trial for the past year. I have heard good, bad and indifferent comments regarding the years trial.

The trial has now finished and going on general release. Has anybody used the card during the trial and if so any problems.

MJU1875
14-06-2016, 12:22 PM
I got one in the trial. I was only abroad once in the year of the trial and encountered no issues with it.

I have applied today for a new card in the general release, its a no brainer to get better exchange rates for holiday cash without the fees that come with normal bank cards.

offshorehibby
14-06-2016, 12:24 PM
I got one in the trial. I was only abroad once in the year of the trial and encountered no issues with it.

I have applied today for a new card in the general release, its a no brainer to get better exchange rates for holiday cash without the fees that come with normal bank cards.

Just noticed this come on twitter.

Supercard ‏@SupercardUK 23m23 minutes ago
To cover the costs of making #Supercard widely available, there is a 2.99% fee for ATM withdrawals http://bit.ly/1Ul8Koa

MJU1875
14-06-2016, 01:29 PM

To cover the costs of making #Supercard widely available, there is a 2.99% fee for ATM withdrawals http://bit.ly/1Ul8Koa

I didn't notice that when I re-applied for this card. I knew there would be a catch.

I already have a Halifax Clarity credit which was the best of the rest for overseas spending, I don't think the Supercard is now any better than that with its charges introduced for ATM withdrawals.

Geo_1875
14-06-2016, 01:30 PM

That's outrageous even if their exchange rates are competitive.

MyJo
14-06-2016, 01:31 PM
I had the card during the trial and used it in Florida in October, it was great, very few issues with it at all and i could link multiple cards to the account and just swap it over on the app when i wanted money to come from my bank account or credit card.

Just got the email today about signing up for the new full card and i see they introduced a 2.99% charge for cash withdrawals which is a pain the backside as there was quite a few times i withdrew cash using it and that charge pretty much cancels out the benefit of the better exchange rate on the card.

Geo_1875
14-06-2016, 01:36 PM
Try FairFX cards. I've used one in Europe and with low atm charge and a great exchange rate it's the business.

offshorehibby
14-06-2016, 02:25 PM
I fancied it when it came out but missed out on the trial. I clicked to sign up for the new one but shortly after, i noticed the 2.99% charge for ATM withdrawals, which now put's me off a bit.

wpj
14-06-2016, 08:09 PM
Try FairFX cards. I've used one in Europe and with low atm charge and a great exchange rate it's the business.

That's the one I use in Europe, still a charge to withdraw cash but always take cash for somethings but use the card for shop, bar restaurants etc.

Hibs Class
14-06-2016, 08:57 PM

I use FairFX and Caxton for both $ and €. FairFX usually has a better load rate, Caxton don't charge for ATM withdrawals although foreign banks will usually apply their own charge regardless of which card us used.

Speedy
16-06-2016, 07:42 PM
If you use it enough it may be worth looking at a Norwich & Peterborough current account. Great debit card for use abroad.