PDA

View Full Version : Spence says let's move on from Hampden

Monts
16-04-2016, 06:17 PM
Good article IMO
http://www.thecourier.co.uk/sport/football/spence-on-saturday-hampden-park-is-a-relic-from-bygone-age-1.934119

Monts
17-04-2016, 02:39 PM
Link fixed

MWHIBBIES
17-04-2016, 02:42 PM
Pretty much spot on. Hampden is a dump.

Northernhibee
17-04-2016, 02:43 PM
Agreed. Improve Murrayfield so it's a good place for both football and rugby, take advantage of the increased capacity. Hampden is a dive.

Nakedmanoncrack
17-04-2016, 02:46 PM
People who talk up Murrayfield have usually never been.

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-04-2016, 02:50 PM

And people who have been to Hampden may well agree with Jim Spence?

Monts
17-04-2016, 02:54 PM

I think Murrayfield isnt so much getting talked up, more it makes Hampden redundant. On the very few occasions we need a non-old firm 50,000 plus seater stadium, Murrayfield is no worse than hampden. But on all other occasions, there are plenty other stadiums that could be used throughout scotland.

Phil MaGlass
17-04-2016, 02:58 PM
Said it masel for a while. SRU are struggling for cash to upgrade m.field. We need a modern stadium and we could both save shed loads sharing a stadium that only gets used a couple of times per year.

Thecat23
17-04-2016, 03:00 PM
Forget Murryfield, we need a sports arena that's modern and built between Glasgow and Edinburgh. An 80k all seater, time we invested in Scottish football for the future!

hfc rd
17-04-2016, 03:02 PM
Agreed. Improve Murrayfield so it's a good place for both football and rugby, take advantage of the increased capacity. Hampden is a dive.

Agree.

Does the lease not end on Hampden very soon?

jgl07
17-04-2016, 03:12 PM

Agreed. It's bloody awful. Poor sight lines, remote from the action. What the hell is that stupid running track for?

The thread is a waste of time as the SFA have spent (wasted) so much money on Hampden they are not going to abandon this investment and hand over large sums of money to the SRU.

Keith_M
17-04-2016, 03:16 PM
Well said and totally agree.

Let's play this year's Final at Murrayfield - 7,500 extra tickets assured for each side.

Keith_M
17-04-2016, 03:18 PM

The view at Murrayfield is a million times better than Hampden, especially behind the goals

....and yes, I have been there.

Pretty Boy
17-04-2016, 03:18 PM

Murrayfield is a spectacularly average stadium at best but that still makes it a lot better than Hampden.

There should have been a multi use stadium built years ago but we've missed the boat on that one so no point moaning and we may as well just accept we have what we have for the forseeable.

Yorkshire HFC
17-04-2016, 03:20 PM
Even rugby teams don't like playing at Murrayfield - I've read several ex players saying that Marrayfield was their least favourite 6 Nations game due to the poor atmosphere, crowd too far away from the pitch.

Why is is there a running track?

ive never had a problem with Hampden - quite like it.

Ozyhibby
17-04-2016, 03:25 PM
Murrayfield is much better than Hampden and there is no money to build something new so it makes sense to switch.
Would be good for the game if the SFA moved away from Glasgow as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dashing Bob S
17-04-2016, 04:15 PM
Raze that heap to the ground and build a shopping centre.

Beefster
17-04-2016, 04:18 PM
Forget Murryfield, we need a sports arena that's modern and built between Glasgow and Edinburgh. An 80k all seater, time we invested in Scottish football for the future!

Spending countless millions on a purpose-built stadium for a handful of international games a season wouldn't be investing in Scottish football. It would be pissing cash up a wall.

If the SFA (or the government for that matter) has money to burn, I hope they'd find far more productive ways to spend it.

hibsbollah
17-04-2016, 04:19 PM
We dont need a national stadium.

Sir David Gray
17-04-2016, 04:24 PM
I agree with Jim Spence but it will never happen in a month of Sundays.

Iggy Pope
17-04-2016, 04:24 PM

I passed Jim Spence in the street on the way back to Mt Florida yesterday. Obviously in his civvies with his Arabs scarf on. He could do with a facelift himself.

SteveHFC
17-04-2016, 04:31 PM
Celtic Park for me. Great atmosphere at the games against Ireland and England. Ibrox can be used for semi-finals and smaller scotland games. Celtic Park should be used for major scotland games and cup finals.

PolmontHibby
17-04-2016, 04:37 PM
I passed Jim Spence in the street on the way back to Mt Florida yesterday. Obviously in his civvies with his Arabs scarf on. He could do with a facelift himself.

He could also do with a driving lesson.....nearly smacked right in to him after leaving the M74 yesterday.

Weststandwanab
17-04-2016, 04:38 PM

I have frequently and I do agree.

Dashing Bob S
17-04-2016, 04:41 PM
-Murrayfield as national stadium

-16 team league with home and away games instead of this joke we have now

Sensible measures, but undermines the power of the uglies so no way.

Colr
17-04-2016, 04:44 PM
I haven't been to Hampden in 15years but thought it was ****hole then with terrible views ( of a terrible game on that occasion). Having been at Wembley and the Woolwich Library since, I'm convinced it's obsolete. Scottish football can't afford a ground of that quality so they should use existing grounds and allow the money to benefit them .

JimBHibees
17-04-2016, 04:50 PM

Been to both Murrayfield is 10 times the stadium that Hampden is and I am not exaggerating.

Kojock
17-04-2016, 04:54 PM
Celtic Park for me. Great atmosphere at the games against Ireland and England. Ibrox can be used for semi-finals and smaller scotland games. Celtic Park should be used for major scotland games and cup finals.

So if Celtic make it to a cup final then they should have home advantage :confused:

Sir David Gray
17-04-2016, 04:56 PM
So if Celtic make it to a cup final then they should have home advantage :confused:

That's what happens with Queen's Park at the moment. :greengrin

Itsnoteasy
17-04-2016, 05:00 PM

And how often would that be used?

HibsNibs
17-04-2016, 05:02 PM
-Murrayfield as national stadium

-16 team league with home and away games instead of this joke we have now

Sensible measures, but undermines the power of the uglies so no way.

We've got that arse Milne at Aberdeen to thank for blocking the vote to end the old firm veto. Back to the status quo next season. I might call it a day on the 21st - or 25th if we make the play-off final.

fordie2
17-04-2016, 05:03 PM
Would it be possible to dig down a bit at murrayfield, add a few rows and then centre the pitch.

That running track at one side is mental

leither17
17-04-2016, 05:03 PM
The first 3 rows of the north are below pitch level so everyone has to stand

Pete
17-04-2016, 05:04 PM

What we really need is a 30000 odd seater stadium that can hold semi finals and smaller finals. Ideally in Stirling/Falkirk or somewhere else that's accessible for the northern teams.

Anyway, I can't see hampden just being left to rot after all the work that's been done to it. Most expensive football museum ever.

Lago
17-04-2016, 05:05 PM
80k never be filled more times than not.

Famous Fiver
17-04-2016, 05:43 PM
Wonder what the good citizens of Roseburn think of this idea?

Old Firm hordes upsetting their weekend gardening and car washing activities.

Bridge club may have to be postponed, curtains twitching, tut tut...................

Hi Heid Yin
17-04-2016, 06:28 PM
I 100% agree with Spence. Hampden is a relic and a thoroughly depressing stadium, with appalling spectator viewing.
Knock it down and build a supermarket or mall.
Murrayfield is infinitely better, or at least spread the games around the country in the stadia mentioned in the articles.

Eyrie
17-04-2016, 06:35 PM
I agree with almost everything Spence says, but then I've been saying the same thing for years.

All I would add is that a semi or final involving one Ugly Sister would be played at the other's stadium, and they'd take it in turns if they meet at that stage of a cup.

And all I would subtract is the notion that a tarted up PBS would be a suitable alternative to Easter Road for internationals. It won't be because of the pitch size and basic facilities in three stands, although it would be an acceptable alternative for cup semis (especially if we're involved) or the Petrofac final.

Holmesdale Hibs
17-04-2016, 07:12 PM
My main complaint about Hampden is you get a **** view from the majority of seats and Parkhead and Ibrox are both better stadiums with better atmospheres. The stadium itself is in decent condition but it was just a stupid design in the first place - athletics stadiums are ***** for football, end of.

It's probably fair enough that the national stadium is in Glasgow given the majority of teams are from round that area although having it to the east of the city would be a lot more convenient. Now it is where it is, it's not worth spending millions to move it and I doubt we'll see funding for redevelopment in the near future.

Nakedmanoncrack
17-04-2016, 09:31 PM
V
Been to both Murrayfield is 10 times the stadium that Hampden is and I am not exaggerating.

How many times better are Ibrox and Parkhead then ?

Carheenlea
17-04-2016, 09:42 PM
The Hampden site is a huge one, and with an unlimited budget you could build a stadium to any spec you wish. Whether or not the finance could be found to rebuild remains to be seen, but there should at least be thought given to a complete rebuild somewhere down the line.

Eyrie
17-04-2016, 10:47 PM
The Hampden site is a huge one, and with an unlimited budget you could build a stadium to any spec you wish. Whether or not the finance could be found to rebuild remains to be seen, but there should at least be thought given to a complete rebuild somewhere down the line.

There was a chance to turn Hampden into a football stadium fit for purpose when £59m was wasted in the late 90s.