PDA

View Full Version : Best/Worst experience of meeting players

magnificent_seven
15-04-2016, 02:55 PM
Hibs or non Hibs players?

Best for me was bumping into Russell Latapy outside Bamboo nightclub in Glasgow. It was just after an old firm game on a Sunday about 8 years ago, pretty sure Robbie Keane and a few Spurs players at the time were out too. Sat with Russell and had a cigarette, chatted away about Hibs, absolute hero.

Also bumped into Aiden McGeady that same night and was surprised to discover that he was actually a decent lad!

Worst was probably Paul Hartley, again in a Glasgow nightclub. Absolute erse of a guy who thought he was big time. Found Dougie Imrie to be a bit of a tit as well when I spoke to him at a party. He played for Clyde at the time and clearly thought he was the man.

Yourselves?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SJM
15-04-2016, 03:07 PM
Le God. You will never ever meet a nicer guy!

Thecat23
15-04-2016, 03:09 PM
Met Paul Hartley as well in town one night. He was all over some girl who asked him to leave her. He started be a dick to everyone who went near him.

Met loads of players though both Hibs and Hearts in town who have been brand new. I tend not to approach players when out as I've been in company myself with a couple and sometimes they just want a night out without chatting about footy so I'm always a bit paranoid about pissing them off.

One of the nicest though I mind speaking to was former Hearts Keeper Gilles Rousset. Spoke of Hibs very highly and how he had a close friendship with a couple of the Hibs players at the time. Said he thinks our fans are also superb. Offered to buy us drinks as well but we didn't take them.

Coults1875
15-04-2016, 03:11 PM
Best - Neil Lennon - Spoke to him at Hamilton Races when I was at a young age and playing football regularly. Asked me loads of questions and gave me some advise to improve my game. Always stuck in my mind when i was playing and was shocked at how good a guy he is in person.

Worst - Anthony Stokes - Met him at a gig at the SECC just after he left hibs. Can't remember a thing of that night but my mate had a photo on his phone of us together so god knows what rubbish i was saying to him. (probably trying to get him to rethink his decision to leave :na na:)

jarre1875
15-04-2016, 03:17 PM
Ive met lots of players and ex players most of them have been brilliant to talk to. Got lots of good autographs for my endevours as well. Really enjoyed meeting Tony Higgins spoke to him for ages really nice guy and felt as if i had kniwn him for years. Only 2 ex players have bumped me for autographs Paul Hartley and Mikey Stewart. Enough said eh

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Johnny_Leith
15-04-2016, 03:19 PM
Met lots of footballers through a previous job. Some great stories that I'd be too afraid to repeat on here!

Soundest had to be Sean Murdoch, as a Hibs fan he was living the dream and in my experience was always very willing to talk to and help out fans.

Worst to deal with was probably Leigh Griffiths when he was a bit younger. He still keeps some odd company.

Funniest would be John O'Shea, some boy.

Surprisingly, Adam Johnson always came across as a nice guy, I used to think I could judge a person!

Bobo
15-04-2016, 03:43 PM
I've met many players over the years and have been on a few players/club nights out during the Miller & McLeish eras.

Always found Yogi and Darren Jackson to be good company but my funniest memory is taking Jimmy Bocco to get a new car and watching the panic on his face when he tried navagaiting the then Maybury Round-a-bout, it was priceless :greengrin

Paloschi
15-04-2016, 03:49 PM
Best - Alex McLeish and Stevie Crawford when I was younger. I once also met Wotherspoon and Dickoh on a night out and they were brand new! Dickoh even had a dance with us!

Worst - Garry O'Connor, a drunken state, who was having a go at me at a bar for not calling over the barman to where we were standing. Classy. Funnily enough I'd met him before and he was fine (during Mowbray days)

smithy_hibees
15-04-2016, 04:03 PM
Sparky was a decent lad when meet him at the hibs/hearts game... Walked alone talking to him as he stop and spoke lot kids, getting plenty pics taken etc as he walked to the game singing hibs songs lol

Worse seeing Gary OcC out his nut.. Didn't speak to him, but used love watching him at ER, but bit a let down

EHZERO7
15-04-2016, 04:09 PM
Best iI've met is Nick Colgan. A nicer guy you wont meet, gave my lad a pair of his gloves as his hands were cold one day when I took him for autographs

Bobby Williamson always came across as a arrogant chap considering his lack of management skills

Stokesy's on fire
15-04-2016, 04:10 PM
Barry Lavety-sound came to a Derby a few years ago and had a few beers with us at the Murrayfield hotel! Top lad and sound!

Met near enough the entire team this season all of them really nice John McGinn stood out as the nicest though.

Craig Brewster-met him twice also really sound!

Eion Jess-sound lad! And one of the few sheep players I ever liked

Kevin Harper-another nice lad loves the Hibees and he's just a typical bloke doesn't act like Billy big time at all

yves makalamby- brilliant guy who had so much time for the fans!

FromTheCapital
15-04-2016, 04:30 PM
Scott Brown is an absolute gent.
Saw Stokesey up town before and had a quick convo and he was another top guy.
Surprisingly, Ryan McGowan was also a very decent fella!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15-04-2016, 04:34 PM
Best - Alex McLeish and Stevie Crawford when I was younger. I once also met Wotherspoon and Dickoh on a night out and they were brand new! Dickoh even had a dance with us!

Worst - Garry O'Connor, a drunken state, who was having a go at me at a bar for not calling over the barman to where we were standing. Classy. Funnily enough I'd met him before and he was fine (during Mowbray days)

Never met O'Conner myself but a good pal of mine saw him up town years ago, said he was in a state and basically giving it the "do you know who i am?" routine thinking he was mr big shot.

Met a few players over the years and all seemed quite pleasant, can't say i've ever really had a bad experience with any of them.

McIntosh
15-04-2016, 04:44 PM
I met Pat stanton as a kid, circa 1974 - my mother asked for his autograph. Later I met Gordon Smith a very humble man, really very kind and sweet - I asked for his autograph for my father!!!! I found the autograph in my father's wallet after he died.

I am sure many hibby's have touching stories like this.

As for players I never warmed to - John Collins was extremely aloof.

HH81
15-04-2016, 04:49 PM
I met a current Liverpool player in a burger King. He never offer to buy our burgers though.

Welbeck walked away and never spoke to us. Other player Henderson did for a while. What i laugh about was loads Sunderland fans in there at time and 4 Cougars fans were only ones brave enough to speak to him ha.

Godsahibby
15-04-2016, 04:58 PM
Worst Deek. Absolute tool when he was younger and about the clubs in Edinburgh. Squared up to me one night.

Best Alex Miller and an impromptu Hands of Hibs party in bar in Santa Ponsa many years ago.

Dunbar Hibee
15-04-2016, 05:50 PM
Been in company of various players some on nights out some not... Only one I couldn't take to was Sean O'Hanlon one night who was out with Stacky and Scott Smith and just drunk and acting the goat.

I do recall people on here that knew him saying he was an absolute gent so probably just had too much to drink. (We all know that feeling).

15-04-2016, 06:02 PM
Been in company of various players some on nights out some not... Only one I couldn't take to was Sean O'Hanlon one night who was out with Stacky and Scott Smith and just drunk and acting the goat.

I do recall people on here that knew him saying he was an absolute gent so probably just had too much to drink. (We all know that feeling).

Heard from many people that Scott Smith is a bit of a tit, especially with a drink in him.

cammy1969
15-04-2016, 06:19 PM
Meet a few over the years mixu was a gent as was big Brewster as were most to be fair one that surprised me was Phil stamp a really nice guy ended up having a couple beers with him and some of his mates from boro

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

leggeto
15-04-2016, 06:26 PM
Met all the players at a doo in the famous five in Alex McLeish squad and my old man told hin he and Willie miller were made redundant when the pass back rule came in

Greentinted
15-04-2016, 06:32 PM
Best is easily being allocated the seat on the plane to Athens in 2001 next to Pat Stanton. And am sincerely not just saying this for obvious reasons, he was an absolute top man, engaging me in conversation and regaling me with tales of the halcyonic Hibs days. At the the end of the flight I felt as if I'd known him all my days and since then he's always remembered me and happily spends a few minutes blethering about all sorts.
One seriously stand-out human being is Pat, just happens to be a bonus he is not only one of us...he defines us!

weonlywon6-2
15-04-2016, 06:42 PM
Le God. You will never ever meet a nicer guy!

Thing about Sauzee was a great player for us however he has never been near Hibs for countless years

Scouse Hibee
15-04-2016, 06:42 PM
Have met various players over the years mainly through work, either whole squads staying pre match or EPL players on holiday in Edinburgh. A few laughs with most of them and no real issues or problems. Diouff was a sleazebag with the women, Shola Ameobi pretty cool and up for a laugh, Brad Guzan also decent bloke, Coisty a red wine plonky, and David Weir a gentleman. Mixu, Mikey Stewart, John O'Neill, all been sound to deal with.

CockneyRebel
15-04-2016, 06:44 PM
My brother in law has a removal business and my son worked for him for a few years. When Paul Fenwick left Hibs they helped pack up his belongings for export back to Canada. He spent a long time chatting with them both about all things Hibs and gave my son a Hibs training track suit (grey - a real cracker) and a good bung as well. Top man.

CockneyRebel
15-04-2016, 06:46 PM
Thing about Sauzee was a great player for us however he has never been near Hibs for countless years

Not surprising after the way he was treated.

15-04-2016, 06:47 PM
Have met various players over the years mainly through work, either whole squads staying pre match or EPL players on holiday in Edinburgh. A few laughs with most of them and no real issues or problems. Diouff was a sleazebag with the women, Shola Ameobi pretty cool and up for a laugh, Brad Guzan also decent bloke, Coisty a red wine plonky, and David Weir a gentleman. Mixu, Mikey Stewart, John O'Neill, all been sound to deal with.

Diouff is a horrible ******* of the highest order. My most disliked player. Utter rodent.

Unseen work
15-04-2016, 07:03 PM
Heard from many people that Scott Smith is a bit of a tit, especially with a drink in him.

Scott smith - another player many were raging that we released but in turn has went on to achieve little.

Dunbar Hibee
15-04-2016, 07:07 PM

Heard he was too but he was quite alright to be fair, bought me a nip so can't complain. Haha

15-04-2016, 07:08 PM
Scott smith - another player many were raging that we released but in turn has went on to achieve little.

Well according to a few pals who know him personally, he seems to think he's a bit of a big shot despite as you say achieving very little.

Pete
15-04-2016, 07:12 PM
I don't think I'll be alone in saying that I've never heard of Scott Smith.

ancient hibee
15-04-2016, 07:14 PM

You're not:greengrin

Forza Fred
15-04-2016, 07:23 PM
Have met many o the years so probably unfair to those not mentioned as they have all been gentlemen, including Deeks, who sometimes gets negative comment, but if mentioning one it would be the late Tommy Preston, who on hearing that I was over fron Oz personal tracked me down to ensure I got the chance to view his famous scrap book!

To any players I met reading this and NOT mentioned...just don't have the room!

Surprisingly, I had dealings with, but never actually met the likes of Graham Souness and John Robertson, who were both gentlemen, particularly Robbo, who naturally also engaged in some humour ous banter, at our expense, as you would expect, but he really went out of his way to help us, at what was a very difficult time for us.

Similarly, Alex Miller whom I did meet, and was at times critical of, but whom too. Went out of his way to help us in Oz when I needed a favour.

Forza Fred
15-04-2016, 07:25 PM
Have met many o the years so probably unfair to those not mentioned as they have all been gentlemen, including Deeks, who sometimes gets negative comment, but if mentioning one it would be the late Tommy Preston, who on hearing that I was over fron Oz personal tracked me down to ensure I got the chance to view his famous scrap book!

To any players I met reading this and NOT mentioned...just don't have the room!

Surprisingly, I had dealings with, but never actually met the likes of Graham Souness and John Robertson, who were both gentlemen, particularly Robbo, who naturally also engaged in some humour ous banter, at our expense, as you would expect, but he really went out of his way to help us, at what was a very difficult time for us.

Similarly, Alex Miller whom I did meet, and was at times critical of, but whom too. Went out of his way to help us in Oz when I needed a favour.

mca
15-04-2016, 07:26 PM
Roughie once came over and talked to me (11) and my Dad during a Hibs kids day.. we were almost outside the ground as my dad and a few other smokers were stood outside.. But he came over and talked to me and my Dad for what seemed like ages..

Really Nice guy and lots of laughs and Banter.. Said he loved the Fat and Round Song.. !!!

He Also Laughed when my dad offered him a Roll-Up.. He said better Not the boss might be watching..

FranckSuzy
15-04-2016, 07:53 PM
This is the third time I've posted this but IMHO, it just sums meeting Ivan up :top marks

"Just wanted to share a story with .net about the one and only Mr Sproule. Enough bad press gets out about players so it's about time the balance was redressed. In June [2011], my brother was over from Australia and Billy (Hibs TV) kindly offered to show him, my niece and myself around the stadium and I asked if my friend and her 10 year son could tag along as he's a massive Hibs fan and needed cheering up as he sadly lost his dad last year. After the tour (which was brilliant-thanks Billy :greengrin), the boy's mum asked if Billy could get the players to sign his autograph book and we'd get it later. Well, I had in all honesty forgotten about it but cue a call from Billy. He advised that Ivan had heard of my wee friend's plight and wanted to meet him! We could not believe it. So, to cut a long story short, we met up with Ivan on Thursday at ER. As if meeting him wasn't enough, he kindly brought the wee boy a Hibs shirt signed by the whole squad and a signed programme from the Celtic game (oh, and the autograph book duly signed by all the team and CC too). Well, as you can imagine, we were blown away. Meeting him was more than enough but the guy went well out of his way. The wee boy was understandably gob-smacked and the quietest he's EVER been but Ivan put him at ease, saying when he was around the same age, he won a football tournament back in Ireland and the prize was to meet none other than George Best http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/not%20worthy.gif

So there we were, about to leave (after 30 mins with Ivan) and then he asked if the wee boy would like to be his guest in the player's lounge for the Sunderland game and meet his family. Honestly, we were astounded. What an absolute gent. Lovely, lovely man and totally genuine. I've now been asked if I'd like to take the wee boy to the game so I am one very happy and proud Hibby today.

I'm sure Ivan won't mind me sharing this great wee tale. GGTTH".

monktonharp
15-04-2016, 08:11 PM
I don't think I'll be alone in saying that I've never heard of Scott Smith.who?

Iggy Pope
15-04-2016, 08:22 PM
I was always petrified to speak to Pat Stanton but he didn't disappoint. First met him pouring pints in Cairns Bar and the man is an idol to me and a generation. Maybe two generations. Maybe three!

Met Franck Sauzee in B&Q one day looking at power tools. He was bewildered but charming. Man crush #1.

Lucky enough to have been to a few club POTY dinners over the years and Scott Brown, Steven Whittaker, Lewis Stevenson, Chris Killen, Boozy and Steven Fletcher were brilliant people to be around at a good time for the club. And so was Yves Makalamby.

Stayed at the same hotel as the team in Dauguvpils and while Tony Mowbray was a gent if businesslike, Mark Venus was a diamond. A proper, proper football man (as was the physio of the time Colin McNeill. A gent).
Bumped into David Murphy in the lift and Mrs Iggy wet her knickers.

Talking of Mrs Iggy, me and her know Mr and Mrs Alex Cropley well (we met through him really) and we love him dearly.

Met a young Kevin Thomson, Garry O'Connor and Deek in Edinburgh Airport en-route to the Ukraine and they could not have been nicer.

Lawrie Reilly left an impression on any Hibby and spent time to talk about Hibs or pretty much anything if you asked him.

Eddie Turnbull was a cantankerous old ******* and it took me years to get him to sign anything! But he did not half mellow in later years and listening to him talk about Hibs was a beautiful thing.

Darren Jackson signed my mates Pink News in Mathers one night after a Derby. That Pink News was getting sent to a mate in Australia. Man crush #2
Met Peter Marinello same place after the last derby! He is sound.

Erich Scheadler was Mine Host in the Vickie Bar during my formative drinking years and I remain in awe of the man. Hero.

Anyone who has spoken to Jackie Mac snr or Ralph Callachan will know they have Hibs at heart and are a barry pair of blokes.

I met Alan Gordon in later years when he was nearing the end and gent is an understatement.

When I was very young I took my '100 Years of Hibs' into Bobby Combe's shop on Leith Walk for him to sign. He spent half an hour telling me stories about the Hibs. I'll never forget that or part with the book.

I did business with Hibs at the time of the East Mains fit out and Garry O'Hagan was an extremely down to earth bloke who would do what he could to help and was a great (and missed) ambassador for the club. Petrie never did wrong either but was never a barrel of laughs. Tom Farmer is a lovely bloke but you'd struggle to talk to him about the Hibs things you want to talk about. Maybe if you're the actual Pope it's easier :greengrin

Around the same time John Collins on the other hand, was extremely genial, even though he ****ed off after Opening Day! (Met him in Harvey Nicholls at Xmas though and he's a man crush tae).

On the other side, I gave wee Robbo dogs abuse one drunken Xmas night out in Gordon Scott's restaurant (The High St Trattoria guy) in Roseburn around the very early 00's. He was on his tod so I quickly apologised and after speaking to him, the fat wee ***** turned out to be a pretty nice bloke (definitely not a Hibby though).

Bugger giving him the last word though. Jimmy O'Rourke gets that. Brilliant.

monktonharp
15-04-2016, 08:34 PM
Best Hibernian men I have had the pleasure to meet: Keith Wright, and Mickey Weir who took the trouble to appear at our supporters Branch Dance. also Ralph Callaghan the following year. Also had Reilly and Fraser, (the older ones will know) at one of our end of season do's too. these guys are all......one of our own, so it's a given that we appreciate them taking time with the fans but, someone mentioned wee Latapy. I loved him as a player, but hated what he did on the eve of a SC Final against Celtic, who were beatable then. he got caught on the peeve wi his mate fae Man.U. and Mc Leish emptied him. cost us the cup that year.! Jimmy Sanderson, nice guy as far as the gorgie mob go. Also Gary Mc KAY IS A TOTAL GENT, much to the dismay of many on here i'd expect , and Walter Kidd who is a gorgie tit, but was a pal. mad as a brush btw.Given my age, I am unlikely to frequent the high flyers bars of George Street so don't mix with current players. 20years ago I was in a city centre bare in Glasgow with Glesga mates when suddenly there was a squad or entourage of people with Gordon Smith, ex-Rangers/Scottish F.A. he was in my opinion, the number one bawheid ersehole I have ever seen in fitba'.

monktonharp
15-04-2016, 08:38 PM
This is the third time I've posted this but IMHO, it just sums meeting Ivan up :top marks

"Just wanted to share a story with .net about the one and only Mr Sproule. Enough bad press gets out about players so it's about time the balance was redressed. In June [2011], my brother was over from Australia and Billy (Hibs TV) kindly offered to show him, my niece and myself around the stadium and I asked if my friend and her 10 year son could tag along as he's a massive Hibs fan and needed cheering up as he sadly lost his dad last year. After the tour (which was brilliant-thanks Billy :greengrin), the boy's mum asked if Billy could get the players to sign his autograph book and we'd get it later. Well, I had in all honesty forgotten about it but cue a call from Billy. He advised that Ivan had heard of my wee friend's plight and wanted to meet him! We could not believe it. So, to cut a long story short, we met up with Ivan on Thursday at ER. As if meeting him wasn't enough, he kindly brought the wee boy a Hibs shirt signed by the whole squad and a signed programme from the Celtic game (oh, and the autograph book duly signed by all the team and CC too). Well, as you can imagine, we were blown away. Meeting him was more than enough but the guy went well out of his way. The wee boy was understandably gob-smacked and the quietest he's EVER been but Ivan put him at ease, saying when he was around the same age, he won a football tournament back in Ireland and the prize was to meet none other than George Best http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/not%20worthy.gif

So there we were, about to leave (after 30 mins with Ivan) and then he asked if the wee boy would like to be his guest in the player's lounge for the Sunderland game and meet his family. Honestly, we were astounded. What an absolute gent. Lovely, lovely man and totally genuine. I've now been asked if I'd like to take the wee boy to the game so I am one very happy and proud Hibby today.

I'm sure Ivan won't mind me sharing this great wee tale. GGTTH".Suze, that is fantastic. :top marks

monktonharp
15-04-2016, 09:01 PM
without being nasty I need to give an up to date opinion on current or almost current players. Gary O'Connor was a great boy for us along with Deeks. (one of my favourites). but he came from a long line of O' Connors that I worked with doon the pit.maist o' them were sound guys. I met him at a Juniors cup game in the Pans, Preston Ath. v Auchinleck I think but he was an arrogant person( without using the venacular).his mate was the son of the ex-Airdrie goalie which made it worse from a personal point. nowt to do with Airdrie,mair to do with the pit strike. however, Acouple of years later I almost physically bumped into one of our current midfielders,, Kevin Thompson as I was heading to the ticket office. he was with a group of players, as they came out of ER possibly after training. he gave me a look, as if I was annoying him by taking up his space. wont forget that.

Hiber-nation
15-04-2016, 09:27 PM
I was always petrified to speak to Pat Stanton but he didn't disappoint. First met him pouring pints in Cairns Bar and the man is an idol to me and a generation. Maybe two generations. Maybe three!

Met Franck Sauzee in B&Q one day looking at power tools. He was bewildered but charming. Man crush #1.

Lucky enough to have been to a few club POTY dinners over the years and Scott Brown, Steven Whittaker, Lewis Stevenson, Chris Killen, Boozy and Steven Fletcher were brilliant people to be around at a good time for the club. And so was Yves Makalamby.

Stayed at the same hotel as the team in Dauguvpils and while Tony Mowbray was a gent if businesslike, Mark Venus was a diamond. A proper, proper football man (as was the physio of the time Colin McNeill. A gent).
Bumped into David Murphy in the lift and Mrs Iggy wet her knickers.

Talking of Mrs Iggy, me and her know Mr and Mrs Alex Cropley well (we met through him really) and we love him dearly.

Met a young Kevin Thomson, Garry O'Connor and Deek in Edinburgh Airport en-route to the Ukraine and they could not have been nicer.

Lawrie Reilly left an impression on any Hibby and spent time to talk about Hibs or pretty much anything if you asked him.

Eddie Turnbull was a cantankerous old ******* and it took me years to get him to sign anything! But he did not half mellow in later years and listening to him talk about Hibs was a beautiful thing.

Darren Jackson signed my mates Pink News in Mathers one night after a Derby. That Pink News was getting sent to a mate in Australia. Man crush #2
Met Peter Marinello same place after the last derby! He is sound.

Erich Scheadler was Mine Host in the Vickie Bar during my formative drinking years and I remain in awe of the man. Hero.

Anyone who has spoken to Jackie Mac snr or Ralph Callachan will know they have Hibs at heart and are a barry pair of blokes.

I met Alan Gordon in later years when he was nearing the end and gent is an understatement.

When I was very young I took my '100 Years of Hibs' into Bobby Combe's shop on Leith Walk for him to sign. He spent half an hour telling me stories about the Hibs. I'll never forget that or part with the book.

I did business with Hibs at the time of the East Mains fit out and Garry O'Hagan was an extremely down to earth bloke who would do what he could to help and was a great (and missed) ambassador for the club. Petrie never did wrong either but was never a barrel of laughs. Tom Farmer is a lovely bloke but you'd struggle to talk to him about the Hibs things you want to talk about. Maybe if you're the actual Pope it's easier :greengrin

Around the same time John Collins on the other hand, was extremely genial, even though he ****ed off after Opening Day! (Met him in Harvey Nicholls at Xmas though and he's a man crush tae).

On the other side, I gave wee Robbo dogs abuse one drunken Xmas night out in Gordon Scott's restaurant (The High St Trattoria guy) in Roseburn around the very early 00's. He was on his tod so I quickly apologised and after speaking to him, the fat wee ***** turned out to be a pretty nice bloke (definitely not a Hibby though).

Bugger giving him the last word though. Jimmy O'Rourke gets that. Brilliant.

Excellent stuff Mr Pope :wink:

I have to say that almost every ex-player I've met has been a total gent and always happy to have a blether about the Hibees. But I suppose I'm talking Stanton, Cropley, O'Rourke, Schaedler, Blackley, Callachan, McNamara, Stewart, Kane so no surprises there. Used to drink in Leeries when the team went there after training in the late 70s/early 80s and a great bunch of blokes they were although 1 or 2 did hammer the bevvy of an afternoon.

Went to school with Benny Brazil, played fitba with him when we were laddies (he was a flying winger) and won't hear a bad word said about the man.

At Hibs kids open days Chris Jackson was an absolute star with the kids. Jimmy Boco too.

When Eddie Turnbull ran Macs Bar my mate had the audacity to tell Eddie that the lager was off. "F*** off son" was the response. No surprises there!

Some great stories on this thread :thumbsup:

PatHead
15-04-2016, 10:04 PM
Met umpteen players over the years. Pat Stanton and Tommy Preston being 2 of my favourites.

Recently had the pleasure to sit with John McGinn and Liam Henderson. They are both lovely charming polite young men who are a credit to their families.

1875STEVE
15-04-2016, 10:50 PM
Pat Stanton - Hibs NI Supporters Club's night in Belfast, got invited as part of the Hibs-mad admin team - Cant remember the year now, quite a few back. Anyway, told him he was my dad's hero, and it was my dad's birthday, I phoned my dad saying I had someone who wanted to speak to him, Pat spoke to my dad for about 20 minutes, my auld man was gobsmacked, it took me weeks to persuade him it was Pat, then I got the pictures of me with him to my dad.

Jackie McNamara - same night as above, another cracking bloke, he also spoke to my auld man, and sat and had a few pints with us.

Keith Wright - In a pub uptown, sound bloke.

Mixu - Also in a boozer up town, lovely bloke as well.

Scott Bannerman - remember him? arrogant arse.

Hakin Sar - Every second week in Espionage, wrecked out his face, it was no wonder he never made the breakthrough.

As a postman, I used to deliver to two area's chock full footy players, Craigend Park at Liberton & The area round the St Margarets school on minto street:

Alan Maybury - Sound bloke, Jambo at the time, his Mrs was hot, his dogs were like werewolfs, all 3 of them....

Grant Brebner - Good Hibby - £250 xmas tip one year. :greengrin

Yannik Zambernardi - Used say "hello hibby" as I used to wear a hibs scarf on cold days, don't think he could speak much English, his Wife was just stunning, had about 300 bairns as well.

Alex McLeish - Pleasant enough, used to say "morning postie" and meet me at the door every day for his mail.

David Fernandez - ex Livi and Celtic - Never really spoke to him.

Javier Sanchez Broto - ex Livi and Celtic - Stayed in same stair as Fernandez, loved himself. :rolleyes:

Lee Makel - Loved himself.

Ian Murray - Not sure if he stayed in the house, but rented it out, or maybe a relative stayed here, seen him 3 or 4 times.

Momo Sylla - Nice bloke, always spoke to me about football when he heard I was a Hibby.

Gabrial Amato - Rangers forward, never spoke, but Dick Advocatt used to pick him up every day, and I'm guessing, drive him to training, in this massive Bentley(ish) looking motor. I shouted "cmon the Hibs" one time, days before we played them, he gave me the one finger salute. :greengrin

Chris Hogg - Got quite a few things signed by him.

O'Rourke3
16-04-2016, 12:20 AM
Rambling....
...but went to the British Legion in Porty around 1970. They were showing a full film of the 1967 England Scotland game plus a Hibs/Hearts select vs the club sports quiz. Dave Ewing had not long taken over as manager. Found myself in the bogs with him and Pat Stanton - I couldn't speak...

Corries concert in 1980/81 Playhouse - charity event loads of Hibs and Hearts players in the reception after. Spoke to Willie Ormond -who confirmed - we'd get promoted alright. Also spoke to Willie Gibson of Los Jambos "What was the score?" - got beat away to Partick - "no surprise there then - me and Willie not best pals. Alex McD helped form the auditorium by Sandy Jardine because he was out his face....

Roll onto Central Video Leith Walk circa 82 - Arthur Duncan walks in - couldn't speak....
Around the same time walked into Mac's Bar in ER to use the loo. Asked the owner. Mr Turnbull if I could use the loo - "Naw...." grumpy auld get..

1987 -stag night - most entertaining person I've ever met (working with the groom) was Derek O'Connor ex ....them. Fabulous stories about training etc.

91. Realised during the Skol cup final that Derek McWilliams lived next door.

Feb 96 Ran into Alec McD (Airdrie)on holiday in Lanzerote. Despite the instinct to punch him - he was OK. (I still need a shower...).

Met Willie Murray at the Craiglockhart tennis centre around 2000, turns out he knows my line manager very well.

Finally spoke to an ex player about 10 yrs ago in Mid Calder as I became aware that Calum Milne was either a resident or lived close. My favourite moment was the game at Tynie where Gordon Rae got sent off but we'd won. Calum was on the fences at the end celebrating with the support. He seemed embarrassed.

My band played at Dean Sheils's wedding - he was at Doncaster but the wedding was in Edinburgh. Sam Morrow was also there. Keith Wright was a guest at another wedding and was dancing. Scott Brown and Gary Caldwell were in the hotel we were playing at a wedding(and I saw them in the lounge with the rest of the Celtic team)...I couldn't speak!

Finally, thanks to Hibs.Net won the comp to get Alex Harris's signed shirt. Was the run up to the 2012 final. So conversed most of the night with he and big Shefti -who was top bloke.

MickeyEdwards
16-04-2016, 12:42 AM
Worst Deek. Absolute tool when he was younger and about the clubs in Edinburgh. Squared up to me one night.

Best Alex Miller and an impromptu Hands of Hibs party in bar in Santa Ponsa many years ago.

I met Alex Miller at the ERI cardiology assessment centre around 15 months ago when I was in there with my late Dad.

Alex was very friendly and conversational and a real pleasure to talk to!

My Dad never saw Hibs win a Scottish Cup despite hardly missing a game in his long 91 year life apart from since 2014 when his health started to deteriorate.

I hope to see that Holy Grail SC winning match from Hibs and hopefully this season!

Jones28
16-04-2016, 01:41 AM
Met Gary Oconnor in the brass monkey after knocking hearts out the cup in 2011/12, he was steaming but was sound with me and the old and got a picture with us.

Grant Brebner and a very young Scott Brown came to Victoria Primary when I was in P6 to sign autographs and chat to everyone, they were very pleasant.

Met David Wotherspoon after games a few times outside BTG always a gentleman. His spectacular attempt at goal in his breakthrough season against Celtic was a particular stand out having met him after the match.

Saw Danny Galbraith in Why Not one night giving it the big un. Hearts prick.

Tommy Preston used to come along to the chippy I worked in when I was about 14/15. An absolute gent who asked me if I liked football. I said yes at the time and he asked who I supported, when I answered Hibs he pulled a wee card out his wallet. It was an old collectors card with his picture on it and he said "that's me in my hibs kit!", then he went on to tell me about the Barcelona adventure! RIP Tommy

ozhibs
16-04-2016, 06:39 AM
I haven't met a lot of players partly because I'm shy and partly because I feel that they would not want be bothered. I saw Jimmy O'Rourke and George Stewart holding court in Hibs club on one of my trips back but was too shy to approach them.
I went to all Jimmy O'ROURKE events when he came to Oz, great guy and he made you feel that he has known you all your life.

rotherhamrob
16-04-2016, 07:01 AM
Derek johnstone was my boss at Douglalstoun golf course in Milngavie, not only was he a sound bloke but he also got me tickets for Ibrox when hibs were there.
He also told me that when he was having a pop at management with Partick, he packed in because he asked for £500 to buy a player from a junior side and was told they couldn't afford it.

bobbyhibs1983
16-04-2016, 07:17 AM
Im one of the few people whom have never met any players sadly.Though one experince was when my sis and I were down the gyle we were in w h smiths and bought a hibs calander and whom did she spot?

only tony mowbray:greengrin

i said to her naw leave him alone he wont wanan be borthered and of course she wanders after him opening the calander and i caught up with him 5 mins later and had her calander signed
and dont worry she did pay for the calander:na na:

Speedy
16-04-2016, 07:57 AM
Seen Deek & mates scrapping with people.

Calum Elliot was worse one bight I saw him.

Brown is a really nice guy when sober, always signing stuff for kids etc., and really funny when drunk.

Fletch was alright when chatting away.

Mickey Weir seemed a decent guy as well.

Tom Hart RIP
16-04-2016, 08:07 AM
This got me thinking and I must have met over 50 Hibs players and every one has been great. Most memorable Eddie T, Lawrie, Pat and Jimmy Orourke.
Ok I accept he was a disaster as manager but Terry Butcher was always great company with a wealth of funny stories. He was superb with the family at the Dan Mcmichael gravestone event and also at other Hibs events. He was also quite knowledgable about Hibs and in particular the Tornadoes team although I'm not sure how he knew this. He really did want to be the Hibs manager for a long time but of course he got it disasterously wrong. No idea what would have happened had we stayed up and he'd kept his job??

Tom Hart RIP
16-04-2016, 08:10 AM
Also met Gary McKay a few times and found him to be a decent guy who does a fair bit for charity with the former Hearts players which goes unreported.

Tom Hart RIP
16-04-2016, 08:13 AM
Only bad encounter was In 1971 when I was a laddie. Hibs played Schalke04 in Eddie Turnbulls second game. I stood next to the tunnel and asked a Schalke player for his autograph and he looked down on me and told me to F@@k off. I've disliked that team ever since and hated seeing them do well.

Auckland Hibs
16-04-2016, 08:16 AM
Met a few Hibs players over the years, most were really decent blokes, special mentions for; Yogi, Steven Tweed, Latapy, Keith, Mickey Weir, Chris Jackson & Jimmy Boco.

Only slight disappointments have been Darren Jackson & Kevin Harper who were both Billy Big Time characters IMO.

Also met Dwight York who was sound as a pound (he was on the lash with Latapy).

Couple of left field guys who turned out to be top blokes were Dennis Wise (met him in a boozer in West London whilst he was with Millwall) and Robbo from the Yams (really nice guy, why we never signed him is baffling).

Tom Hart RIP
16-04-2016, 08:18 AM
Best was probably bumping into Jimmy Orourke at Asda. He probably knew my face from the Corrie Inn although we had never spoken other than the usual barman customer stuff. In Asda he spoke for a few minutes and when he left he said 'see you later MATE'
Wife was raging when I got back cos I'd forgotten most of what she wanted cos I was still in a daze. THE Jimmy Orourke called me mate.

greenlad
16-04-2016, 08:53 AM
Lawrie Reilly - came over to US on the Hampden concourse after the 2004 semi win vs Rangers on pens - said to my 55 year old dad "I couldnae watch that son!" Lovely man.

Alex McLeish - used to come into where I worked when he was Hibs boss (to do with his wife's business) very pleasant man and used to tell us his signing plans! "I'm trying to get Brebner from Reading" - and he did!

John Hughes - used to visit my work to do with his pub (had just left Hibs) - coming over very much the local "don't you who I am" shouty radge made good. You couldn't fail to notice when he was in.

Scorrie
16-04-2016, 09:30 AM
Mickey Weir was coaching at Heriot Watt in the EoS League a few years back and as our nephew was playing we went to see them at Easthouses. Heriot Watt were 2-1 down with minutes to go and the ball went out and landed behind me. I was standing quite close to the dugout and Mickey turned around and shouted for me to get the effin ball back pronto. He then realised I wasn't one of the Heriot Watt subs and his face was a picture. Apologised and we had a laugh. I was made up to have been bollocked by Mickey Weir, one of my all time favourites! Really good guy.

silverhibee
16-04-2016, 09:59 AM

Me neither PP. :confused:

Billy McKirdy
16-04-2016, 10:23 AM
Met a few a know a few ex players too, always remember sitting next to Stuart Lovell behind the dugouts in the old stand the whole game chatting away to him, a knowledgeable and decent guy all round, even said a few words to big Franck that day.

SRHibs
16-04-2016, 10:52 AM
Met a ton of players when I used to go out in Edinburgh.

David Grof - Hardly a big name, and he had a fairly bad reputation around these parts. My experiences with meeting him were always pretty pleasant though. Went to the casino with him a few times on nights out and he was always a good guy. Shame he palled about with some many ****bos!

Victor Palsson - Another one with a less than stellar reputation who was sound as on a night out. I was mortal but he still stood around and listened to my pish. Saw him walking down Albion Road after a game a few weeks after and he recognised me/stopped and talked to me for a wee bit.

Daley Blind/Siem De Jong - Came into my work (Escape) in Newcastle. Didn't even recognise them. Sat and talked to them for about 20 mins about random ***** and they were dead down to earth. They posted an Instagram photo at my work after. They came back a few months ago and I did recognise them this time. Still sound as ****, especially Siem.

SkintHibby
16-04-2016, 10:57 AM
I met the late Joe Baker and had a few drinks with him a few years before he sadly passed away. Lovely man.
Also met Pat McGinlay who is also a top guy.

Northernhibee
16-04-2016, 10:57 AM
Roughie was full of banter. Top guy.

Iggy Pope
17-04-2016, 07:53 AM
Excellent stuff Mr Pope :wink:

I have to say that almost every ex-player I've met has been a total gent and always happy to have a blether about the Hibees. But I suppose I'm talking Stanton, Cropley, O'Rourke, Schaedler, Blackley, Callachan, McNamara, Stewart, Kane so no surprises there. Used to drink in Leeries when the team went there after training in the late 70s/early 80s and a great bunch of blokes they were although 1 or 2 did hammer the bevvy of an afternoon.

Went to school with Benny Brazil, played fitba with him when we were laddies (he was a flying winger) and won't hear a bad word said about the man.

At Hibs kids open days Chris Jackson was an absolute star with the kids. Jimmy Boco too.

When Eddie Turnbull ran Macs Bar my mate had the audacity to tell Eddie that the lager was off. "F*** off son" was the response. No surprises there!

Some great stories on this thread :thumbsup:

:greengrin Your mate had some bollox!

I met Benny once as well at a football do in Currie. Great bloke.

biggineurope
17-04-2016, 08:45 AM
Best....

As a 14 yr old, I chapped Ralph Callachan's door asking for an autograph, he disappeared into his house and came back with a Hibs scarf and autograph for me and 5 signed bits of paper for my shy pals who were hiding behind his wall, a class act.

Met Gilles Rousett in Makro, swiflty bought a 50th birthday card and got him to sign it for my mates Jambo dad's birthday, he was very obliging, my mates dad was cockahoop.

Michael O'Neill was interested in taking Brechin FC training at my work on a Monday night , I was instrumental in that happening and they trained there for approx a season and a half. He always took the time to come over, ask how things were and share some of his Hibs stories. A true gent of a guy.

Worst...

Only one, Willie Miller oors no Aberdeen's. Early 90's there he was sat in Century 2000 thinking he was god's gift, some girl had bumped him. Standing near him I said " oh well dinny worry, the place is full" he then stood up wi his pal's and said " dinny talk to me pal, dae ye ken who I am" I think I upset him when I said " aye, mate your oor ugly wee defender that's jist been telt tae bolt fae a burd"