PDA

View Full Version : Will cash from the cup runs compensate for failure to get promotion?

G B Young
20-03-2016, 10:19 AM
I hope I'm wrong, but another season in the Championship is now looking a distinct possibility and will mean a serious fall-off in income for the club as season ticket sales will surely fall. As someone else has pointed out, the pooling of the income from the Scottish Cup semi-final ties will provide a good pay day, which would be further boosted if we can reach the final. Coupled with the League Cup final run, would our earnings from the cups give us a financial cushion to compensate for another season at this level?

GreenOnions
20-03-2016, 10:35 AM
I think we need to get a bit of perspective here. We are more than capable of winning every one of our remaining games and to go up via the playoffs.

On current form that looks unlikely but this is where AS and the players need to show their mettle. The ability is there but, as with last season, maybe teams are learning how to set up against us effectively as the season has progressed. That's football and we need to adapt. If we can do that then we have the players to achieve promotion.

Forthview
20-03-2016, 10:39 AM
I fear it will have to, or anybody worth £1M will have to be sold.
Some of the guys playing every game look tired and there's maybe 14 - 16 games still to play.

G B Young
20-03-2016, 10:46 AM
I think we need to get a bit of perspective here. We are more than capable of winning every one of our remaining games and to go up via the playoffs.

On current form that looks unlikely but this is where AS and the players need to show their mettle. The ability is there but, as with last season, maybe teams are learning how to set up against us effectively as the season has progressed. That's football and we need to adapt. If we can do that then we have the players to achieve promotion.

I agree to some extent, especially regarding the ability being there. However, when we lost to Morton I was very surprised but put it down as blip, when we then lost to Dumbarton I was worried and a third defeat to QoS got me seriously concerned. I thought we'd got that out of our system with the cup games, but yesterday was alarmingly poor and on current form no team in this league is going to fear playing us, especially in the play-offs. Next week's trip to St Mirren doesn't fill me with confidence and were it not for the form shown in the cup runs I'd be fearing a collapse of Buther-style proportions where we just keep losing every single week. Bottom line, unless there's a dramatic improvement I simply can't see us making headway in the play-offs.

DH1875
20-03-2016, 10:58 AM
Some of the guys playing every game look tired and there's maybe 14 - 16 games still to play.

Who's worth £1M at moment in time :confused:

heretoday
20-03-2016, 11:04 AM

Falkirk must be tired too though. We just have to keep plugging away in the knowledge that we have a superior squad of players than they do.

Eyrie
20-03-2016, 12:40 PM
Falkirk must be tired too though. We just have to keep plugging away in the knowledge that we have a superior squad of players than they do.

Falkirk have fewer games to play in April than we do which will provide some rest, and their inferior squad of players has so far done a better job than us of taking care of weaker teams.

I still think we will edge ahead of them, but my confidence has taken a dent after what was effectively a six point swing in their favour this weekend.

percy veer
20-03-2016, 07:22 PM
If we win it, it certainly will

jgl07
20-03-2016, 10:10 PM
It will do this season. Next time will be totally different. Stay down and there will be severe financial implications even though Hibs might build up some reserves winning the Scottish Cup and the EUROPA cup run that will follow.

Realistically Hibs were always going to struggle to get automatic promotion after listing two early matches.

The playoffs are still there for the taking. It matters little if Hibs finish second and spends two and a half weeks twiddling their thumbs before facing Falkirk or finishing third or fourth and playing off against Raith before facing Falkirk.

Hibs need to beat Falkirk either way. Win that and the likes of Kilmarnock or Hamilton await. I would back Hibs against either of them. Falkirk will be the main test.

familyman
20-03-2016, 10:43 PM
I hope I'm wrong, but another season in the Championship is now looking a distinct possibility and will mean a serious fall-off in income for the club as season ticket sales will surely fall. As someone else has pointed out, the pooling of the income from the Scottish Cup semi-final ties will provide a good pay day, which would be further boosted if we can reach the final. Coupled with the League Cup final run, would our earnings from the cups give us a financial cushion to compensate for another season at this level?
I guess I will renew mine as I am Hibs daft, but then here we are once again being asked to fork out for a league unknown and also extra cash for play off games....we should never have been in this position,so AS MUST totally get us promoted ,I fear if not this will be my last renewal after many many years.
We cannot keep paying such salaries without the end product.....How did Ross County do it?
How do Raith Rovers do it,How do Inverness do it, what are we NOT doing?
I wish I had the answer to that.....but it takes far more than just good individuals .This will to win I have mentioned before means first to every tackle...all the time..let us see much more of that.NOW

H18 SFR
20-03-2016, 10:46 PM
It will do this season. Next time will be totally different. Stay down and there will be severe financial implications even though Hibs might build up some reserves winning the Scottish Cup and the EUROPA cup run that will follow.

Realistically Hibs were always going to struggle to get automatic promotion after listing two early matches.

The playoffs are still there for the taking. It matters little if Hibs finish second and spends two and a half weeks twiddling their thumbs before facing Falkirk or finishing third or fourth and playing off against Raith before facing Falkirk.

Hibs need to beat Falkirk either way. Win that and the likes of Kilmarnock or Hamilton await. I would back Hibs against either of them. Falkirk will be the main test.

Europa cup run? Who on earth are we going to beat in a Europa cup run?

ihibs7
20-03-2016, 10:53 PM

I think Europe is pointless now for clubs like ourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monktonharp
21-03-2016, 12:03 AM
I hope I'm wrong, but another season in the Championship is now looking a distinct possibility and will mean a serious fall-off in income for the club as season ticket sales will surely fall. As someone else has pointed out, the pooling of the income from the Scottish Cup semi-final ties will provide a good pay day, which would be further boosted if we can reach the final. Coupled with the League Cup final run, would our earnings from the cups give us a financial cushion to compensate for another season at this level?Interesting to see you have joined this forum, in the last fortnight. However, most hardened Hibernian fans know very well that it is never easy being a Hibby, especially when we under real pressure. we /the club are now .but I still think we can come out of this situation with a good result overall. 3 or 4 weeks ago, It looked like we may win a cup, a week ago it looked like we would lose a QF. we are still in there fighting, despite a poor game last night. the ball hit the woodwork twice, and yet we lost. to say it is a distinct possibly, is stretching it.

Michael
21-03-2016, 12:10 AM

Probably lose money too if we had to go to Eastern Europe. Europa league is utterly pointless.

thebausburst
21-03-2016, 05:45 PM
Probably lose money too if we had to go to Eastern Europe. Europa league is utterly pointless.

I don't agree, as no-one out with the OF is ever going to win the league if we don't care about European places then what's the point of going to league games / the season??

NAE NOOKIE
21-03-2016, 10:49 PM

FFS ...... Europe is in the DNA of this club, saying its pointless is like saying we should change our colours or the clubs name.

We have not yet reached the stage they have down south where we either think we are too bloody important to bother with the Europa League or where financial consideration overrides the honour of representing our nations football in Europe.

I don't ever want to hear that sort of talk again ..... now away tae bed wi nae tea :slipper:

SJM
21-03-2016, 11:01 PM
No it won't. We could have massive gates against hearts the old firm and Aberdeen next season not to mention tv and prize money.

22-03-2016, 12:07 AM
Promotion should be the only objective for this season. Another season in the Championship would be financial crisis.
Our squad is not a Championship squad - they've proved that against enough Premiership teams this season and this squad will not be cheap. No danger could we sustain this squad next year so anybody that we could get a fee for would be sold as we cut costs.

I fully expect the Cup run cash will have been long spent way before next season. We lost circa £800k last season (that needs to be funded) and LD has already been out warning of losses again this season so fully expect no positive return from the Club cash.

Actually think if it wasn't for the HSL guys then we would already be toiling for cash. Hat off to everyone who's putting in.

Lets not fool ourselves. A third year in the Championship would be a disaster financially. Just when we would need more people to attend I fear even more would vote with their feet and home support would be down on this season so that would be a whole in the budget. Year 3 I think also means no parachute money from the League so another whole to be filled. Add to that no home Cat A games in the League so we'd loss the Rangers gate money so probably another £200k lost there alone. Cant think of any positives!!

It would not be a good time for the club on or off the pitch and the more I think about it, it seriously worries me.

There is a lot of football to be played between now and the end of the season and the outcome is in our hands. The next game and the game after that I'll be there backing the team and I encourage everyone to do the same. Those who've not been performing in the Club will know themselves who they are and the improvement they need to make over the next 2 months to get the job done.

CropleyWasGod
22-03-2016, 07:54 AM
Promotion should be the only objective for this season. Another season in the Championship would be financial crisis.
Our squad is not a Championship squad - they've proved that against enough Premiership teams this season and this squad will not be cheap. No danger could we sustain this squad next year so anybody that we could get a fee for would be sold as we cut costs.

I fully expect the Cup run cash will have been long spent way before next season. We lost circa £800k last season (that needs to be funded) and LD has already been out warning of losses again this season so fully expect no positive return from the Club cash.

Actually think if it wasn't for the HSL guys then we would already be toiling for cash. Hat off to everyone who's putting in.

Lets not fool ourselves. A third year in the Championship would be a disaster financially. Just when we would need more people to attend I fear even more would vote with their feet and home support would be down on this season so that would be a whole in the budget. Year 3 I think also means no parachute money from the League so another whole to be filled. Add to that no home Cat A games in the League so we'd loss the Rangers gate money so probably another £200k lost there alone. Cant think of any positives!!

It would not be a good time for the club on or off the pitch and the more I think about it, it seriously worries me.

There is a lot of football to be played between now and the end of the season and the outcome is in our hands. The next game and the game after that I'll be there backing the team and I encourage everyone to do the same. Those who've not been performing in the Club will know themselves who they are and the improvement they need to make over the next 2 months to get the job done.
Financial disaster is putting it far too strongly.

The anticipated loss this season will have been costed out, and effectively paid for. The income from the cups is therefore a bonus.

Coming at it does, at the end of the season, will allow it to be set aside. If we don't go up, it will help to offset the increased loss from next season.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Craig_in_Prague
22-03-2016, 08:03 AM
Financial disaster is putting it far too strongly.

The anticipated loss this season will have been costed out, and effectively paid for. The income from the cups is therefore a bonus.

Coming at it does, at the end of the season, will allow it to be set aside. If we don't go up, it will help to offset the increased loss from next season.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Yep; and at the end of the day, they should make cuts as needed, but Hibs will still have a bigger budget then others and winning the league should be highly achievable.
This is the worse case, but right now it feels most likely.

Haven said that, we have a lot of quality in the team, perhaps the play offs with very clear focus on them, might bring the best out of the team.

I have no concerns beating Raith over 2 games, but Falkirk worry me. Still, we need to cross these bridges when we come to it....

We'll probably fall short in the SC, but the money is definitely going to help us next season regardless of what league we're in!