PDA

View Full Version : Leicester city

lord bunberry
18-03-2016, 07:45 PM
I'm on a train back from Cheltenham with a load of Leicester fans. It's great listening to them singing all their songs and it makes me think that anything is possible. We're going to win the cup and get promoted this season.

Waxy
18-03-2016, 08:03 PM
Red leicester is one of my favorite cheeses.

Bostonhibby
18-03-2016, 08:55 PM
Lived in Leicester for five years and never remember much more than 15k at filbert street under jock Wallace with Bobby Smith as captain. Egg chasing territory then. Do I want them to carry on Pissing all over brand EPL.? Absolutely.

hibsbollah
18-03-2016, 08:57 PM
Red leicester is one of my favorite cheeses.

What total ****fungus. Double Gloucester is far superior.

Bostonhibby
18-03-2016, 08:57 PM
Lived in Leicester for five years and never remember much more than 15k at filbert street under jock Wallace with Bobby Smith as captain. Egg chasing territory then. Do I want them to carry on Pissing all over brand EPL.? Absolutely.
PS their excellent cheese is more orange than red. Brilliant melted

djs69
18-03-2016, 09:00 PM
The alliance and .....was my favourite building society

LancashireHibby
18-03-2016, 09:06 PM
Lister was my favourite character in Red Dwarf.

marinello59
18-03-2016, 09:08 PM
Lester Piggot. He knew how to ride a horse.

Hibby Bairn
18-03-2016, 10:01 PM

Pre Rangers designer of sporting tax dodges.

Bostonhibby
18-03-2016, 10:04 PM
Decidedly dodgy. Looks like a very small arsene Wenger

IberianHibernian
18-03-2016, 10:19 PM
Anyone remember when we beat Leicester home and away in friendlies in 79 / 80 ? Home game was a Monday after a weekend with international matches and we won 3 v 2 with Ally MacLeod hattrick and a few hundred Huns supporting Leicester ( Jock Wallace connection ) in old enclosure under North Stand . Second was on a snow covered pitch ( at that time Leicester were famous for having a " balloon " to cover frozen pitches but it wasn`t used that night ) . Only about 2000 at Filbert Street but that included about 300 Hibbies . We won 2 v 0 which was significant for 2 reasons - 1. Only away win in the whole season in a public game ( maybe not true as we may have beaten someone away in an away friendly ) - something many forget when they talk of Turnbull`s time as our manager . 2. Jackie McNamara scored , maybe his first goal for us . I remember him scoring at Ibrox in 1 v 3 defeat in QF of SC the year after . George Best didn`t play at Leicester ( he was supposed to I think ) , not sure about home match .

Pete
18-03-2016, 10:23 PM
In a year when all of the big boys are in utter disarray, it's just typical Tottenham that some random team like Leicester will develop super powers and usurp them.

Forza Fred
18-03-2016, 10:29 PM
Been trying for years to convince their current back up goalie to make the move to Hibs to no avail....too late now!

blackpoolhibs
18-03-2016, 10:37 PM
Anyone remember when we beat Leicester home and away in friendlies in 79 / 80 ? Home game was a Monday after a weekend with international matches and we won 3 v 2 with Ally MacLeod hattrick and a few hundred Huns supporting Leicester ( Jock Wallace connection ) in old enclosure under North Stand . Second was on a snow covered pitch ( at that time Leicester were famous for having a " balloon " to cover frozen pitches but it wasn`t used that night ) . Only about 2000 at Filbert Street but that included about 300 Hibbies . We won 2 v 0 which was significant for 2 reasons - 1. Only away win in the whole season in a public game ( maybe not true as we may have beaten someone away in an away friendly ) - something many forget when they talk of Turnbull`s time as our manager . 2. Jackie McNamara scored , maybe his first goal for us . I remember him scoring at Ibrox in 1 v 3 defeat in QF of SC the year after . George Best didn`t play at Leicester ( he was supposed to I think ) , not sure about home match .

We ran a mini bus to the away game, and to be perfectly honest it was quite a wet bus if you know what i mean. :greengrin I was convinced Best did play that night, but i was not the soberest person at the game.

I remember us being behind one of the goals in a small shed type terrace, but thats about it. :confused:

Hiber-nation
18-03-2016, 10:41 PM

I remember the home game alright, my mate got a right hiding from some huns outside the Royal Nip. Although the huns got it back big time after the game.

IberianHibernian
18-03-2016, 10:44 PM
We ran a mini bus to the away game, and to be perfectly honest it was quite a wet bus if you know what i mean. :greengrin I was convinced Best did play that night, but i was not the soberest person at the game.

I remember us being behind one of the goals in a small shed type terrace, but thats about it. :confused: Yes we were behind the goal . I travelled by train and on the way back , we got a train to Birmingham and changed to Sleeper which the Hibs players were on ( players with beds , fans with seats ) . Think there was a pub near ground called Turnstile .

heretoday
18-03-2016, 11:45 PM
In a year when all of the big boys are in utter disarray, it's just typical Tottenham that some random team like Leicester will develop super powers and usurp them.

Yup. Probably Spurs best chance of winning the Prem too as the other big clubs will spend big in the summer.
I still don't understand why Poch has no main striker besides Kane.

Northernhibee
19-03-2016, 06:00 PM
Huge, huge pressure on Spurs tomorrow otherwise they could find themselves needing a miracle.

19-03-2016, 08:26 PM
An absolutely incredible fairy tale. They are living the dream. I'm not a Leicester fan but really really hope they win it!

Onceinawhile
20-03-2016, 12:41 AM
An absolutely incredible fairy tale. They are living the dream. I'm not a Leicester fan but really really hope they win it!

Indeed.

Not every year a team with a billionaire owner win the premier league.

MWHIBBIES
20-03-2016, 01:32 AM
Indeed.

Not every year a team with a billionaire owner win the premier league.Leicester Citys owner is a billionaire.

SteveHFC
20-03-2016, 03:13 AM
Leicester winning the league would the greatest thing i've seen happen in the game in my lifetime so far. :aok:

Scouse Hibee
20-03-2016, 08:06 AM
Leicester winning the league would the greatest thing i've seen happen in the game in my lifetime so far. :aok:

It would rank alongside Blackburn winning it for me, a tremendous achievement if they can get over the line.

kenny.ff
20-03-2016, 08:10 AM
Every week that goes by people keep sayin there going to crumble at some point and they just arent. I like most am not a leicester fan but realy want them to go on and do it. There last 3 games are as hard as any thou. There fans must be feeling amazing,

Steve-O
20-03-2016, 08:15 AM
It would rank alongside Blackburn winning it for me, a tremendous achievement if they can get over the line.

For some reason Blackburn didn't seem AS surprising at the time, as Leicester does now?

HH81
20-03-2016, 08:22 AM

Not for me Blackburn had two of best forwards at time in England. Leicester have pretty much come from just staying up to almost champions in 12 months. The bookies had Leicester at 5000-1 to win league so they also agreed.

I think it is unreal how they have stayed in this postion. Champions league almost secured I think?

HappyHanlon
20-03-2016, 08:25 AM
Read one of their ex strikers saying that they only need 3 more wins due to title rivals fixtures...

Is that true?

Scouse Hibee
20-03-2016, 08:25 AM
For some reason Blackburn didn't seem AS surprising at the time, as Leicester does now?

Maybe because it was before the real big money owners took over teams. Jack Walker certainly had a few bob and spent it to enable them to make top signings, for me it was just the thought of unfashionable Blackburn actually winning the league.The fact that they were managed by my idol made it all the better for me I guess.

hibsbollah
20-03-2016, 08:26 AM

This would put Blackburns achievement in the shade. The only comparable rags to riches comparison is Cloughs Forest, winning promotion and then winning the title and European glory the following season.

Scouse Hibee
20-03-2016, 08:26 AM
Not for me Blackburn had two of best forwards at time in England. Leicester have pretty much come from just staying up to almost champions in 12 months. The bookies had Leicester at 5000-1 to win league so they also agreed.

I think it is unreal how they have stayed in this postion. Champions league almost secured I think?

More personal reasons for me I guess.

Pretty Boy
20-03-2016, 08:27 AM

I think in 95 people could still remember the likes of Aston Villa, Leeds and Everton winning and competing for titles in the 80s and early 90s. Norwich went close as well and Newcastle were therabouts just afterwards.

Since Blackburn won it Man Utd have totally dominated with 11 titles, Arsenal have 3, Chelsea 4 and Man City 2. The emergence of the 'top 4' arguably a 'top 6' now probably means someone gatecrashing that party is far more shocking that it was for a previous generation.

Colr
20-03-2016, 08:27 AM
Every week that goes by people keep sayin there going to crumble at some point and they just arent. I like most am not a leicester fan but realy want them to go on and do it. There last 3 games are as hard as any thou. There fans must be feeling amazing,

I would normally but not at the expense of Spurs. Mind you, I would have been pretty happy with a top 4 finish at the start of the season.

Danderhall Hibs
20-03-2016, 10:32 AM
If Leicester throw this away now it'd be a major collapse.

Something that's not been seen for almost 30 years.

easty
20-03-2016, 10:36 AM
Mahrez is brilliant. Could probably chose whatever team he wants to sign for next season and must be a cert for player of the year.

Holmesdale Hibs
20-03-2016, 10:45 AM
I was at the game yesterday and was impressed with Leicester. Their main strength is speed and they certainly play to it. Vardy and Mahrez looked we pretty lethal and every time Palace attacked you feared Leicester would pick them off on the break.

They were a bit lucky at the end when Delaney hit the bar but fair play to them, they deserved to win and I hope they win the league.

Bostonhibby
20-03-2016, 10:49 AM

:agree: They should win it - I certainly don't see any of their defenders as being the type to bottle it and let their team mates down.

ekhibee
20-03-2016, 11:03 AM
I was at the game yesterday and was impressed with Leicester. Their main strength is speed and they certainly play to it. Vardy and Mahrez looked we pretty lethal and every time Palace attacked you feared Leicester would pick them off on the break.

They were a bit lucky at the end when Delaney hit the bar but fair play to them, they deserved to win and I hope they win the league.
Yeh, watched the highlights, Palace were actually quite unlucky, 2 or 3 good breaks but just the finishing was a bit off. I'd be really surprised if they got relegated, I think Pardew's quite a good manager and they certainly have enough quality to stay up then start building for next season. Just my opinion though. Would love to see Leicester win it this season though.

Onceinawhile
20-03-2016, 11:13 AM
Leicester Citys owner is a billionaire.

That's the joke 👍👍

Holmesdale Hibs
20-03-2016, 11:15 AM
Yeh, watched the highlights, Palace were actually quite unlucky, 2 or 3 good breaks but just the finishing was a bit off. I'd be really surprised if they got relegated, I think Pardew's quite a good manager and they certainly have enough quality to stay up then start building for next season. Just my opinion though. Would love to see Leicester win it this season though.

Hope you're right mate, it's been a difficult couple of months with Hibs and Palace. If we do stay up, 17th and a trip to Wembley is a decent season for us and hopefully make a few signings over summer.

It's difficult to explain the run we're on but it's probably a combination of things - some bad luck, some bad performances, a few injuries but ultimately we don't have a top 10 squad and were overachieving early in the season.

Schteff
20-03-2016, 04:26 PM

You've had quite a shan life then

sleeping giant
20-03-2016, 04:32 PM

It didn't .

Did they not sign Shearer and Sutton for obscene money at the time?

iwasthere1972
20-03-2016, 04:51 PM

Why? What happened thirty years ago? :greengrin

Northernhibee
20-03-2016, 05:32 PM
I have to be honest, I think the fans staying behind singing "We're going to win the league" is the same "We go together" Liverpool moment. All of a sudden all of the pressure and expectation is right on Leicester's shoulders and I think they might collapse which would be a huge shame.

heretoday
20-03-2016, 05:33 PM
The Foxes could easily have dropped points yesterday. They have Lady Luck on their side big style.

They are so quick on the counter. So are the luckless Everton, whom I follow, but they are not as smart.

MWHIBBIES
20-03-2016, 05:51 PM
The Foxes could easily have dropped points yesterday. They have Lady Luck on their side big style.

They are so quick on the counter. So are the luckless Everton, whom I follow, but they are not as smart.Difference is in the defending, Everton try to play football and get caught, Leicester kick it and head it away and haven't lost many goals since Christmas.

Nakedmanoncrack
20-03-2016, 06:06 PM
It didn't .

Did they not sign Shearer and Sutton for obscene money at the time?

Blackburn were the big spenders at the time - it was not unexpected that they won the league. Still a great achievement by Dalglish to take a club with no recent tradition of success to the title in such a short time.

20-03-2016, 06:54 PM
I have to be honest, I think the fans staying behind singing "We're going to win the league" is the same "We go together" Liverpool moment. All of a sudden all of the pressure and expectation is right on Leicester's shoulders and I think they might collapse which would be a huge shame.

I thought the exact same. But then again fair play to them, they're just enjoying and laping up every moment of this fairytale and quite rightly so. They're never gonna be in this position again so can't blame them for making the most of it.

BroxburnHibee
20-03-2016, 10:29 PM
Not scoring many goals while Spurs seem to bang them in.

I think Spurs will do it.

HoboHarry
20-03-2016, 10:34 PM

Because a 3-0 win gets more points than a 1-0 win? LC have it entirely in their own hands.....

Edson Arantes
20-03-2016, 10:37 PM
I'm on a train back from Cheltenham with a load of Leicester fans. It's great listening to them singing all their songs and it makes me think that anything is possible. We're going to win the cup and get promoted this season.

This season though mate, they are Leicester, we are Hibs.

We do what we do.

Breaks my heart to say that.

Your optimism is admirable, wish I was the same mindset.

:flag:

matty_f
20-03-2016, 10:41 PM

Can't be too many teams that would get that close and still **** it up?!

lugz
20-03-2016, 10:43 PM
I hope they don't slip up :greengrin

Edson Arantes
20-03-2016, 10:52 PM
I hope they don't slip up :greengrin

With you there chum :thumbsup::thumbsup:

come on the Foxes.

GGTTH :flag:

Danderhall Hibs
20-03-2016, 11:38 PM
Because a 3-0 win gets more points than a 1-0 win? LC have it entirely in their own hands.....

No but it does suggest they're closer to faltering than a team winning comfortably.

monktonharp
20-03-2016, 11:41 PM
going against the grain, I could never support Leicester. during the miner's strike, 30 men from that coalfield went on strike to support the rest of us. they were dubbed the dirty thirty! the rest of the 2.5k men in that area continued to work, earning high wages in an affluent area in miners' terms, instead of supporting their comrades who fought for jobs, and their communities. and yet, the 2.5k, continued to live off the hard earned rights and conditions fought for over 70 years by the rest of the uk coalfield unions. might seem trivial, but if you were involved in anyway, you might understand. c'mon the Spurs.

Pete
20-03-2016, 11:43 PM
This season though mate, they are Leicester, we are Hibs.

We do what we do.

Breaks my heart to say that.

Your optimism is admirable, wish I was the same mindset.

:flag:

"We do what we do"

What's that then?

Pete
20-03-2016, 11:45 PM

I think so too.

It would be a shame for them to take the Jambottlers crown away though.

Mibbes Aye
20-03-2016, 11:50 PM

Can't be too many teams that would get that close and still **** it up?!

I can't believe any professional football club would make such a mistake. It would be well-known, even famous, dare I suggest, if a club was to throw away a league challenge at this stage.

Gentlemen, let's face it, we need to give Leicester their place. It's not like they are going to go into their last game needing nothing more than a draw and hoping Arsenal don't score a bucketload against a feisty opponent......

Smartie
20-03-2016, 11:59 PM
I just had a wee look at the remaining fixtures for Spurs and Leicester.

A tough next 3 games for Spurs - Liverpool away, Man United at home, Stoke away.

On paper Leicester's remaining games look easier but they've never been in this position before. TBF neither have Spurs.

For the first time in years though I'm actually interested in the English Premier League.

monktonharp
21-03-2016, 12:08 AM
Tottenham Hotspur, have been top division champions before. been a while, but they will do it:greengrin

erin go bragh
21-03-2016, 09:28 AM
going against the grain, I could never support Leicester. during the miner's strike, 30 men from that coalfield went on strike to support the rest of us. they were dubbed the dirty thirty! the rest of the 2.5k men in that area continued to work, earning high wages in an affluent area in miners' terms, instead of supporting their comrades who fought for jobs, and their communities. and yet, the 2.5k, continued to live off the hard earned rights and conditions fought for over 70 years by the rest of the uk coalfield unions. might seem trivial, but if you were involved in anyway, you might understand. c'mon the Spurs.
Never knew that . I remember Nottingham never covered themselves in glory during the strike .

GGTTH

Edson Arantes
21-03-2016, 01:04 PM
"We do what we do"

What's that then?

More often than not, let the fans down.

ben johnson
21-03-2016, 01:27 PM

They never earned as much as the Police who were bussed around the country and given freedom to do as they pleased.

ben johnson
21-03-2016, 01:29 PM
Never knew that . I remember Nottingham never covered themselves in glory during the strike .

GGTTH

My mates a Forest fan and hates a trip to Yorkshire. Sheffield especially.

G B Young
21-03-2016, 02:04 PM

GGTTH

Nobody 'covered themselves with glory' during that time. If I recall correctly, the reason the strike divided miners was because NUM president Arthur Scargill wouldn't hold a national ballot on strike action, having failed to secure a majority union vote on the two or three previous occasions a ballot had been held. Those who didn't strike felt the lack of a ballot undermined the democratic process.

hughio
21-03-2016, 03:14 PM
I remember being in the Spion Kop at Filbert Street watching "Sniffer" Allan Clarke poke one in.

In all the time that's passed since they've always been the strugglers.
Now...where da **** did this team come from?

Pete
21-03-2016, 03:52 PM
More often than not, let the fans down.

Oh yeah. How could I forget seeing a large percentage of your posts since you joined are along similar lines.

monktonharp
21-03-2016, 09:11 PM
Nobody 'covered themselves with glory' during that time. If I recall correctly, the reason the strike divided miners was because NUM president Arthur Scargill wouldn't hold a national ballot on strike action, having failed to secure a majority union vote on the two or three previous occasions a ballot had been held. Those who didn't strike felt the lack of a ballot undermined the democratic process.sorry to disagree and could explain a lot more, we were forced into much more action before the big strike. we (monktonhall) were on strike for 6 weeks, then went back at the behest of the NUM 2 weeks before the big strike. you don't know, and I do. not for this forum so I will take it no further. oh, and btw, c'moan the spurs.

Nutmegged
21-03-2016, 10:08 PM

I used to be right into my English Football back in the 90s, the first four years of the EPL were the best IMO...I loved it and due to always meeting an old couple in Blackpool every year who were Blackburn diehards I adopted them as my 2nd team, Alan Shearer is probably my all time favourite non Hibby , anyways, their achievement in 95 was spectacular but not wholly unexpected, Kenny Dalglish was widley regarded as one of the best managers in Britain at the time, they had talent throughout their squad and I could be wrong but I'm certain Chris Sutton was the most expensive Player in the UK when Blackburn signed him for that Season.

They had talent throughout, Shearer Sutton up top, Wilcox Ripley out wide, Batty & Sherwood in the middle and LeSaux, Berg, David May and Big Braveheart at the back in front of Tim Flowers, all excellent players at the time.

The English game was far more open back then, it generally was 442 vs 442 and the best attacking teams usually succeeded - Blackburn were one of the two best attacking sides in the Country...I'd have to say if Leicester won the Title it'd just totally eclipse what Blackburn did all those years ago.

Edson Arantes
21-03-2016, 10:23 PM
Oh yeah. How could I forget seeing a large percentage of your posts since you joined are along similar lines.

Your point is?

Hibrandenburg
22-03-2016, 08:38 AM

For the same reason I can't follow Hertha Berlin because they were the establishment team during the Nazi era. I still hold their fans personally responsible for the holocaust.

lyonhibs
22-03-2016, 08:40 AM

Would you fundamentally disagree with the point he makes though?

TrinityHibs
22-03-2016, 08:45 AM

Would you fundamentally disagree with the point Peter makes though?

lyonhibs
22-03-2016, 10:31 AM
Would you fundamentally disagree with the point Peter makes though?

No idea. Life is too short to keep a mental note of some random on .net's "track record".

JeMeSouviens
22-03-2016, 10:45 AM

Seems a bit harsh. Out of 2500 men in Leicester in the mid-80s how many actively followed their local team? When you take out the Liverpool/Man U etc, lop off a few hundred that don't follow football, a fair few will have died, the part timers and once in a blue moon brigade, you're probably looking at a couple of hundred.

Meanwhile the Spurs support might be packed with Tory merchant bankers that were cheering Thatcher & MacGregor to the rafters (for all I know)?

I want Leicester to win for all their fans that have followed them through the pish years never expecting anything like this. Just like us and fans of loads of other clubs. In any other year, I'd have been cheering for Spurs in much the same way but Leicester is even moreso the everyman's team.

G B Young
22-03-2016, 11:07 AM
sorry to disagree and could explain a lot more, we were forced into much more action before the big strike. we (monktonhall) were on strike for 6 weeks, then went back at the behest of the NUM 2 weeks before the big strike. you don't know, and I do. not for this forum so I will take it no further. oh, and btw, c'moan the spurs.

You're right, not for this forum but I just wanted to make it clear I'm not taking sides on what I know was a time in Britain's history that continues to make its mark on communities all these years later. Having been at the heart of it you obviously recall the sequence of events far more clearly than me. Having lived in England at the time, it was simply my recollection that the call for strike action was received in different ways in mining areas across the country, with a significant section in certain areas preferring to continue working. More than that I don't really remember and would have to read up on it to refresh my memory.

CropleyWasGod
22-03-2016, 12:02 PM
For the same reason I can't follow Hertha Berlin because they were the establishment team during the Nazi era. I still hold their fans personally responsible for the holocaust.

I hold Hearts, the fans and the club, responsible for not doing more to win the Battle of the Somme. That's why I'm a Hibby :)

Pete
22-03-2016, 03:16 PM

Yes. It depends what you want from watching a football match. Anyway, it's more to do with the frequency and manner in which people make these points.

Pete
22-03-2016, 03:17 PM
No idea. Life is too short to keep a mental note of some random on .net's "track record".

Well you'll just need to take my word for it then. ;-)

Pete
22-03-2016, 03:43 PM
Anyway, I had no idea Jamie Vardy was 29. I just assumed he was this young, up and coming player who, along with Harry Kane, England would build their future attack around.

I can definitely see him leaving for a big money contract if Leicester win the league or not.

CapitalGreen
22-03-2016, 03:48 PM
Anyway, I had no idea Jamie Vardy was 29. I just assumed he was this young, up and coming player who, along with Harry Kane, England would build their future attack around.

I can definitely see him leaving for a big money contract if Leicester win the league or not.

He's just signed a new 3.5 year £80k per week contract.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11712/10158717/jamie-vardy-signs-new-leicester-city-contract-until-2019

22-03-2016, 03:48 PM

I was surprised at that to! The bigger clubs will come in with silly money for him and Mahrez in the summer.

CallumLaidlaw
22-03-2016, 03:51 PM

Kinda makes his story even more amazing. At the age of 23 he was playing for Stickbridge Park Steels in the Northern Premier League (8th tier)

22-03-2016, 03:59 PM
Kinda makes his story even more amazing. At the age of 23 he was playing for Stickbridge Park Steels in the Northern Premier League (8th tier)

:agree: an amazing fairy tale come true for him.

MWHIBBIES
22-03-2016, 04:01 PM
I was surprised at that to! The bigger clubs will come in with silly money for him and Mahrez in the summer.They wont for Vardy, no one is going to spend that much on a 29 year old with only 1 good season at the top level.

CallumLaidlaw
22-03-2016, 04:32 PM
They wont for Vardy, no one is going to spend that much on a 29 year old with only 1 good season at the top level.

I probably agree, but stranger things have happened. Expect a £50m bid from a chinese club! :wink:

Liverpool have a history of overpaying for players so he could be at Anfield next season. Although he'd probably rather be at Leicester, with Champions League football to look forward to.

MWHIBBIES
22-03-2016, 04:37 PM
I probably agree, but stranger things have happened. Expect a £50m bid from a chinese club! :wink:

Liverpool have a history of overpaying for players so he could be at Anfield next season. Although he'd probably rather be at Leicester, with Champions League football to look forward to.Klopp isn't going to spend 30 odd million on Vardy, not a chance, he is more likely to stick with Benteke.

Smartie
22-03-2016, 04:46 PM
They wont for Vardy, no one is going to spend that much on a 29 year old with only 1 good season at the top level.

There is a silly amount of money in certain leagues at the moment (England, China) and goalscorers will always come at a premium.

I don't think the fact that he's 29 will put many teams off.

There are clubs (Arsenal for one) who are a striker away from being a decent team and who have managers under pressure. That can lead to silly bids for players.

The fact that he's arrived late in his career and not had the debilitating injuries whilst young that so many other players have had means that he might go on a few years longer than other players.

22-03-2016, 04:50 PM

Hmmm I suppose but money in football is getting crazier and crazier so nothing would surprise me to be quite honest!

MWHIBBIES
22-03-2016, 06:52 PM
There is a silly amount of money in certain leagues at the moment (England, China) and goalscorers will always come at a premium.

I don't think the fact that he's 29 will put many teams off.

There are clubs (Arsenal for one) who are a striker away from being a decent team and who have managers under pressure. That can lead to silly bids for players.

The fact that he's arrived late in his career and not had the debilitating injuries whilst young that so many other players have had means that he might go on a few years longer than other players.Arsenal are a better striker than Vardy away from being a decent team, Giroud actually has more goals in all comps than him and hasn't always started game this season. Arsenal need a real world class forward.

Teams sit back against big clubs as well, Vardy wouldn't get to play his game of running in behind at Arsenal because there is about 10 yards between the opposition defence and the first row of seats. He is the perfect player for Leicester and should (and will IMO) stay there. Arsenal are far more likely to go for Mahrez or Kan/te.

jacomo
22-03-2016, 08:30 PM
He's just signed a new 3.5 year £80k per week contract.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11712/10158717/jamie-vardy-signs-new-leicester-city-contract-until-2019

Good luck to him.

I agree with others... he should see it out at Leicester and enjoy it. At this rate he'll be offered freedom of the city! Hero worship, wealth and maybe medals too - not a bad career at all.

That contract is worth c. £14m in total. You could buy a lot of Leicester for that!

monktonharp
23-03-2016, 11:49 PM
You're right, not for this forum but I just wanted to make it clear I'm not taking sides on what I know was a time in Britain's history that continues to make its mark on communities all these years later. Having been at the heart of it you obviously recall the sequence of events far more clearly than me. Having lived in England at the time, it was simply my recollection that the call for strike action was received in different ways in mining areas across the country, with a significant section in certain areas preferring to continue working. More than that I don't really remember and would have to read up on it to refresh my memory.I respect your reply sir, more than you might expect but it is time to put this one to bed although I will point out, that it had a significant affect on my area at the time. being brought up in Newcraighall, and then living in the East end of Edin. for most of my life ,myself and hundreds or more in my community were still involved with the strike. some people in the more affluent areas of our city would have no real interest or contact with the folk I worked with. added to that, the friends I made over 23 years in mining from areas in East/mid/and west Lothian as well as the Fifers, were real friends and real people. I am proud to have been associated with that, and can proudly say I stayed the course and fought the fight. a different era, but I can always listen to Simon & Garfunkel I suppose.:wink:

monktonharp
23-03-2016, 11:58 PM
Seems a bit harsh. Out of 2500 men in Leicester in the mid-80s how many actively followed their local team? When you take out the Liverpool/Man U etc, lop off a few hundred that don't follow football, a fair few will have died, the part timers and once in a blue moon brigade, you're probably looking at a couple of hundred.

Meanwhile the Spurs support might be packed with Tory merchant bankers that were cheering Thatcher & MacGregor to the rafters (for all I know)?

I want Leicester to win for all their fans that have followed them through the pish years never expecting anything like this. Just like us and fans of loads of other clubs. In any other year, I'd have been cheering for Spurs in much the same way but Leicester is even moreso the everyman's team.a couple of hundred , that sounds like not a bad result from my point of view!:greengrin we had hundreds o' men arrested , and many never got there jobs back, because they were fighting to keep jobs and communities. who are you trying to kid? all those, that supported Thatcher's ideals and refused the union ideals in that area, are sherbet dabs. I can explain that, if you really want to know what it means.

JeMeSouviens
24-03-2016, 08:19 AM
a couple of hundred , that sounds like not a bad result from my point of view!:greengrin we had hundreds o' men arrested , and many never got there jobs back, because they were fighting to keep jobs and communities. who are you trying to kid? all those, that supported Thatcher's ideals and refused the union ideals in that area, are sherbet dabs. I can explain that, if you really want to know what it means.

I'm not sure what I was trying to kid you about but I can work out the rhyming slang thanks. :wink:

The bitter truth is that Thatcher had prepared to fight dirty and use whatever means to get her way. The Tories had already planned the end of deep mining in Britain whatever happened and whatever the short term cost to communities and long term cost to the country.

lucky
24-03-2016, 08:25 AM
Id like Leicester to win it but looking at the games the top 3 have got left I think Arsenal will win it.

jgl07
24-03-2016, 11:17 AM
Leicester have had a lot in their favour. They were not in European competitions and were eliminated early from both domestic cups. They have not been affected by injury and have been able to field virtually the same team every match. Having said that they are an absolute nightmare to play against. They defend well and break at great pace.

I think they will win the League easily. They have a five point lead with seven matches to play, four of these are at home. Their home matches are all winnable and they have an away match at Sunderland. They do have Man United and Chelsea away but they have proved far from invincible at home. Tottenham have tough matches to come. Arsenal and Man City are too far back to have a prayer.

jacomo
24-03-2016, 11:52 AM
Id like Leicester to win it but looking at the games the top 3 have got left I think Arsenal will win it.

I was expecting Leicester to suffer a severe case of vertigo by now but it's just not happened. The winning line is almost in sight.

Spurs need to keep winning and hope Leicester do have a wobble. I think Arsenal are out of it.