PDA

View Full Version : Reaction to yesterday

Northernhibee
14-03-2016, 10:57 AM
I realise this won't be a popular post but it's one that needs to be said.

Yesterday hurt. A lot. Last minute goals always do. However the infighting and bickering needs to stop. The scapegoating needs to stop.

The main and arguably only objection this season is promotion by any means. The cup is a nice distraction but ultimately not the main importance. The support so far this season has been tremendous and we've seen some really nice football has been posted.

We can't go into self destruct on here and turn against the team. We need to show them and Stubbs the same support we have all season and show them that we know they can get promotion for us.

The blaming of Oxley/Thommo/Stokes/Lewis/Stubbs needs to stop. Imagine if the team took the same negative attitude? The team need to move on quickly and so do we to restart the momentum on and off the pitch.

If you disagree then feel free to start a thread entitled "Let's moan and drag everyone down" and guess what? It'll do as little as constant negativity will do. Yesterday was a sore one but I was proud to be a Hibee yesterday, I'm proud to be one today and it'll be the same tomorrow. Time to move onwards and upwards.

B.H.F.C
14-03-2016, 11:05 AM
Tell you what needs to stop more than anything - the losing.

S4uzee
14-03-2016, 11:07 AM

Yesterday hurt. A lot. Last minute goals always do. However the infighting and bickering needs to stop. The scapegoating needs to stop.

The main and arguably only objection this season is promotion by any means. The cup is a nice distraction but ultimately not the main importance. The support so far this season has been tremendous and we've seen some really nice football has been posted.

We can't go into self destruct on here and turn against the team. We need to show them and Stubbs the same support we have all season and show them that we know they can get promotion for us.

The blaming of Oxley/Thommo/Stokes/Lewis/Stubbs needs to stop. Imagine if the team took the same negative attitude? The team need to move on quickly and so do we to restart the momentum on and off the pitch.

If you disagree then feel free to start a thread entitled "Let's moan and drag everyone down" and guess what? It'll do as little as constant negativity will do. Yesterday was a sore one but I was proud to be a Hibee yesterday, I'm proud to be one today and it'll be the same tomorrow. Time to move onwards and upwards.
Sorry but I don't share this viewpoint. IMO we will get promoted sooner rather than later. It's not like the Premier League in England where there are millions of pounds available should teams get promoted.

However, the chance to win cups doesn't come around too often and this was a massive opportunity lost. Letting the fans down again on the big occassion

Northernhibee
14-03-2016, 11:09 AM

Do you think anyone wants us to lose?

Waxy
14-03-2016, 11:14 AM
The team are in the championship. I certainly didn't expect a cup final this season. I know we have lost an unreal amount of finals in the past but this is one occasion we should be getting right behind the club and all the players. Would everyone rather we got beat first round? We're still heading in the right direction.

MrSmith
14-03-2016, 11:15 AM
I'm kinda still numb from it but in no way angry at team nor manager.

Definitely agree promotion is key this season as another year down will saturate the support further.

The income from the cups is great and most welcome during this lean spell however, some need to remember the amount of games played in the cup including rescheduling of league games which has impacted, and injuries to key players has affected the entire team of late.

My support is without question but lets stop the yam fud trolls from accomplishing their agenda and self determination re hand satisfaction over our misfortune.

SlickShoes
14-03-2016, 11:16 AM
I understand where you are coming from but our form over the last month was a decent indication of how yesterday was going to go, RC would have been idiotic to employ any other tactic than the one most teams are now using to beat us.

Since 2016 began our league form is: Won - 4 Lost - 3 Draw - 2.

It's a staggering loss of form and was just compounded by yesterdays high profile game. It's horrible to watch but you can hardly blame our opponents for using these tactics.

It's all happened just as the media and fans were heaping praise on the team, really getting behind them, then something we have all seen before happens and the wheels come off, we could have rescued something from the slump by winning but we didn't and it just continues.

Stantons Angel
14-03-2016, 11:26 AM

nobody likes to lose least of all the players, but lose we did!
It was certainly not for the want of trying but we just cant put the ball in the net just now. That is our failing.
Whether or not we get to the final of another cup this season is questionable but my main priority as a Hibs fan is to get them back into the premier league!

We had a great opportunity yesterday and you must have seen the disappointment in those young players after the game? They were if not more gutted than we were. As another poster says we cannot start the old blame routine again. We are still in there and there is still games to play! This is NOT the end of the season for us and this is when the team need us, the supporters, truly behind them!!

The 20,000 extra supporters we took to Hampden will NOT be at Inverness on Wednesday night but those that will be need to make up for them by getting right behind the team. They have given you enough reasons this season alone to show they care so we need to show our team we care too.

Cup finals didnt feature in my thoughts for this season and these players have taken us on a journey with smiles on our faces, getting to that final yesterday. so lets keep supporting them, keep letting them know you are behind them and please dont let the negativity in again the last couple of years has been enough!!!

hibeerealist
14-03-2016, 11:28 AM

No I don't but there is something missing/wrong if they keep losing, do you agree?

Manager has some blame here for team selection, formation and very poor use of substitutes; forwards for lack of goals, midfield has ben our strong point, defence for loss of some shocking goals against mediocre opposition and a goalie that would not have got a game for any of the amateur teams I played in!!

The fact that the above is consistent throughout this season (and last) and remains would tend to suggest that not lot is being done to stop us losing!!!

Green Fish
14-03-2016, 11:44 AM
I am gutted but on reflection we had a great run and put out some good sides with great performances.

We gave a decent account of ourselves but, I'm like a parrot, we simply don't convert enough of our chances.

The boys gave everything for us yesterday and they deserve our continued support.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
14-03-2016, 11:55 AM
Tell you what needs to stop more than anything - the losing.When have Hibs ever won every week? You are supporting the wrong club pal.

scooby
14-03-2016, 12:43 PM
I'm still numb tbh, and can't believe that we've let yet another brilliant opportunity go.

Ok the cups are a bonus, but when you get to a final the least you expect is for everyone to give 100%. The fans did, but we had high profile players yesterday who were well off their game, so we probably shouldn't be that surprised that an organised hardworking team turned us over again. We were the better side, but when you continually f***y about with the ball around the box rather than stretching defences, it just buys them time to re-organise.

Who would have thought before the game that Fontaine (who I don't blame for a minute) would offer the biggest goal threat, says it all really!

How are we ever going to to get more than 8k through the gates on a regular basis, when the team continually fail to deliver when it matters most. Yesterday was another occasion where the club had the opportunity to re-engage with lapsed fans and get them back at ER on a more regular basis, but once again they've blown it!

I really hope that Stubbs can get us back on track and succeed through the play off's, but given his reluctance or inability to change things when it's clearly not working, I'm really not sure now.

B.H.F.C
14-03-2016, 12:46 PM
When have Hibs ever won every week? You are supporting the wrong club pal.

Where did I ever say that Hibs should win every week? Major disappointment after major diappointment, a lot of the time to clubs with much lesser resourses, gets a bit hard to stomach after a while. Pal.

BSEJVT
14-03-2016, 12:49 PM
Absolutely devastated and it hurts more with every passing hour.

We don't get that many 50/50 chances in Cup Finals and to blow one against a team full of players vastly inferior to ours is as sore a kick in the balls as I think I have ever suffered.

ancient hibee
14-03-2016, 12:51 PM
No I don't but there is something missing/wrong if they keep losing, do you agree?

Manager has some blame here for team selection, formation and very poor use of substitutes; forwards for lack of goals, midfield has ben our strong point, defence for loss of some shocking goals against mediocre opposition and a goalie that would not have got a game for any of the amateur teams I played in!!

The fact that the above is consistent throughout this season (and last) and remains would tend to suggest that not lot is being done to stop us losing!!!

Amazing that such a gash lot went unbeaten so long isn't it.Tell us some more about your great amateur teams you played for.

NAE NOOKIE
14-03-2016, 12:52 PM
Sorry but I don't share this viewpoint. IMO we will get promoted sooner rather than later. It's not like the Premier League in England where there are millions of pounds available should teams get promoted.

However, the chance to win cups doesn't come around too often and this was a massive opportunity lost. Letting the fans down again on the big occassion

As far as I was aware that was this team and managers very first cup final .... it wasn't "a massive opportunity" it was a 50/50 shot against a team 4th in the premiership whose run to the final was every bit as impressive as ours. We dominated the game and lost narrowly by one goal ... admittedly by a goal at the worst possible time.

I agree with the OP entirely.

TheMentalHibees
14-03-2016, 01:31 PM
I hate reading "we were beaten by the team 4th in the league above ours", like it's an excuse. All season we've been saying we're an SPL team stuck in the championship, that line shouldn't wash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benjeloon
14-03-2016, 01:36 PM
Well said that man. Hibs dominated the game yesterday as we do most games. You never know when our fortune may take an upturn, it might even be in time to see us through the playoffs. That's the beauty of football. Hope. What if? I'll wait until the end of the season before I decide whether or not it has been a success.

#GGTTH

S4uzee
14-03-2016, 01:37 PM
I hate reading "we were beaten by the team 4th in the league above ours", like it's an excuse. All season we've been saying we're an SPL team stuck in the championship, that line shouldn't wash.

Exactly. And it will be the same people who claim "aww but Rangers have a bigger budget" when talking about the league. Well so do Hibs compared to Ross County :rolleyes:

Turkish Green
14-03-2016, 02:09 PM
The problem is the bigging up of the club by the media. It was premiership team v championship team. The premiership team won. It should not have been unexpected. Comments from the likes of Gordon Strachan and Craig Paterson do not help.

John McGinn was kept quiet all game - was this really a surprise given his age and inexperience.

Trainor
14-03-2016, 02:14 PM

Hear Hear!

Tapes99
14-03-2016, 02:15 PM

Yes. Every single team we play against.

majorhibs
14-03-2016, 02:17 PM
Further in both cups & 1 - 0 against the team 3rd in the league above. Gutted but end of the season is time to judge. Support THE team in Edinburgh!

BOB MARLEYS DUG
14-03-2016, 03:36 PM
The thing that hurts just as much is the run and teams we went on to beat to get to the final all for it to be undone by yesterdays result.

MWHIBBIES
14-03-2016, 03:47 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIn a 1 off game anyone can beat anyone.

basehibby
14-03-2016, 03:57 PM

:top marks Post match dissection is an inevitable and necessary cathartic ritual for football fans and losing a cup final is a blow which we as Hibs fans have had to experience more than most. But there's no point in getting bogged down in it as there is plenty still to fight for this season, and Stubbs and his team deserve our full backing.

It would have been great to win the "wee cup" but we are still in the big one, AND more importantly, have a league season to finish and a play off battle to look forward to. Stubbs and his team have beaten a clutch of SPL sides this season including getting one over the embittered muppets from Gorgie. Lets not allow that to be overshadowed by our disappointment on a narrow cup final defeat. Time to dust oursleves down and help the team meet the challenges ahead.

emerald green
14-03-2016, 04:24 PM
I think the reaction to yesterday's result has been normal and fairly predictable.

Surely nobody is surprised that most Hibs supporters were both angry and bitterly disappointed at yet another massive let down at Hampden? Just needed to take a look at the expressions on nearly everyone's face leaving the stadium would tell you that surely? These are people who desperately want their team to win and be successful.

What are people expecting supporters to say? Oh great, superb, we lost again in a pretty cruel manner but lets not say anything or moan about it just in case it "brings someone down"?

Well tough. The reaction on this forum has been very mild compared to what some folk have said to me face to face.

silverhibee
14-03-2016, 04:27 PM

:agree:

The reason why ST were kept at the same price so that we could still operate as a SPFL team, 30,000 fans showed who were the bigger team at Hampden yesterday, should have gave the players a massive lift to go on and win some silverware against a team who's squad are not even a patch on ours, I'm giving County no credit, we should have went out and won that game with the team we had.

hibsboy69
14-03-2016, 05:56 PM
No sour grapes here, just the facts as I saw them.

1. Dross County set out to stop us playing (this is allowed in the rules of football of course !)

2. They did defend well and on occasion looked quick and dangerous on the break

3. They got very lucky with both goals, self inflicted by us

4. Over the piece the better team on the day lost the game (it happens in normal games, not just Cup Finals)

5. Not a great advert for Scottish football when an "anti-football" team wins a cup.

6. The "romance" of where they've come from (bottom of Highland League etc) sadly papers over point 5. IMHO

7. We need to regroup, take this extremely painful blow on the chin and move on - nothing else for it

HIBS TILL WE DIE

Sammy7nil
14-03-2016, 06:12 PM
[/B]
As far as I was aware that was this team and managers very first cup final .... it wasn't "a massive opportunity" it was a 50/50 shot against a team 4th in the premiership whose run to the final was every bit as impressive as ours. We dominated the game and lost narrowly by one goal ... admittedly by a goal at the worst possible time.

I agree with the OP entirely.

It was a MASSIVE opportunity when do we ever go in to a final as Favs? I am not even sure we were favs against Livvy
Even a fifty fifty cahance for Hibs is huge so dont be silly.

hibsboy69
14-03-2016, 06:17 PM
It was a MASSIVE opportunity when do we ever go in to a final as Favs? I am not even sure we were favs against Livvy
Even a fifty fifty cahance for Hibs is huge so dont be silly.

Agree - but it was a massive opportunity for BOTH clubs !

We need to move on - it has happened.

NEXT !

DaveF
14-03-2016, 06:20 PM
We need to move on - it has happened.

NEXT !

I suppose you are right.

Last night I was fuming, this morning I was angry - now I'm just disappointed.

Just have to accept it's what we do most of the time. I vowed last night never to go back to Hampden, but of course I will, because you can be damn sure the game I don't go to will be the one the ******* win :greengrin

ionahibby
14-03-2016, 06:37 PM
I admit was pretty emotional yesterday combined with a few pints so i think one of my post stating "Stubbs should go" was a bit over the top. Will still be at Easter as per but the hampden trips are becoming tiring when it's the same story over and over again.

NAE NOOKIE
14-03-2016, 06:47 PM

Exactly. And it will be the same people who claim "aww but Rangers have a bigger budget" when talking about the league. Well so do Hibs compared to Ross County :rolleyes:

Its not an 'excuse' for anything. The way some folk are going on you would think we were beaten 2 - 1 by East Stirling yesterday. If being 4th in the league above the one we are currently 3rd in doesn't entitle a team to some respect then why the hell are folk getting so steamed up that we aren't in it?

We are an SPL team stuck in the Championship, our results against teams from that division clearly show that. But what are you saying? That that entitles us to expect to beat any team from that league every time we play them and if we don't that's an unacceptable failure and any thought that our opponent on the day might have been a match for us, or even plain lucky, is just an excuse to cover up our shortcomings.

By that logic if Hibs do get promoted this season then we must be favourites to win the Premiership next season, if we are so much better than every team in the top six that losing to one of them is so unacceptable that any nod to the fact that they have beaten 12 of their Premiership opponents this season, not to mention Falkirk ( who we find hard to beat ) ICT and Celtic on the way to beating us is 'just an excuse' !!!.

Geez peace.

norhfc
14-03-2016, 07:19 PM
Only Hibs could lose a last minute goal in a cup final to a Dutchman in a bra. I,ll be at Raith next week.

judas
14-03-2016, 07:25 PM

I'm on your bus dude.

Let's go forward.

:flag:

hibsboy69
14-03-2016, 09:41 PM
Only Hibs could lose a last minute goal in a cup final to a Dutchman in a bra. I,ll be at Raith next week.

That made me laugh !!!!!

Bay Area Hibees
15-03-2016, 08:41 AM

1. Dross County set out to stop us playing (this is allowed in the rules of football of course !)

4. Over the piece the better team on the day lost the game (it happens in normal games, not just Cup Finals)

5. Not a great advert for Scottish football when an "anti-football" team wins a cup.

6. The "romance" of where they've come from (bottom of Highland League etc) sadly papers over point 5. IMHO

7. We need to regroup, take this extremely painful blow on the chin and move on - nothing else for it

HIBS TILL WE DIE

Brilliant post mate agree 100%

Giro Playboy
15-03-2016, 11:41 AM
When have Hibs ever won every week? You are supporting the wrong club pal. I don't expect them to win every week but considering their budget they should not be getting hammered at home by Morton and beaten by part timers like Dumbarton

MWHIBBIES
15-03-2016, 11:42 AM
I don't expect them to win every week but considering their budget they should not be getting hammered at home by Morton and beaten by part timers like DumbartonConsidering Celtics budget they should win every game. Football DOESN'T WORK like that.

Kato
15-03-2016, 12:25 PM

HIBS TILL WE DIE

A few us were just discussing these very points at lunch. Ross County won the game without adding much to the sport. There's been a few other Cup Finals in Scotland recently won by, in the main, Anti-Football tactics. However the press and radio seem to think this is "refreshing" so maybe actual fans of football should lower their aim a bit. :rolleyes: