PDA

View Full Version : Romance of la coupe

Peevemor
09-02-2016, 07:44 PM
Currently watching non-league St Malo leading Ajaccio 1-0 in the last 16 of the French cup.

Scouse Hibee
09-02-2016, 07:45 PM
Is it better than the English pub leagues though?

Peevemor
09-02-2016, 08:27 PM
1-1 now. Boooo!

Peevemor
09-02-2016, 10:39 PM
Finished 2-1 to Ajaccio - they were simply too strong for the part timers of St Malo.

An interesting thing I learned tonight - in the French Cup, if the tie is between teams 2 leagues or more apart, then the smaller club is automatically at home. I haven't decided if that's good or bad.

jgl07
10-02-2016, 01:05 AM
Finished 2-1 to Ajaccio - they were simply too strong for the part timers of St Malo.

An interesting thing I learned tonight - in the French Cup, if the tie is between teams 2 leagues or more apart, then the smaller club is automatically at home. I haven't decided if that's good or bad.

Are St Malo in the 4th tier of French Football (CFA D)?

Peevemor
10-02-2016, 05:35 AM
Are St Malo in the 4th tier of French Football (CFA D)?

:agree: CFA https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Championnat_de_France_Amateur

s.a.m
10-02-2016, 06:43 AM
Currently watching non-league St Malo leading Ajaccio 1-0 in the last 16 of the French cup.

Who are your French team?

Bristolhibby
10-02-2016, 06:49 AM

Angers.

Just decided this now. Stayed a night in Angers in my summer hols last year.

Didn't even know they had a Leigue 1 team.

J

Craig_HFC
10-02-2016, 07:04 AM
The French Cup is radge... Starts with about 5000 teams entering it and the draws aren't seeded. It's open to all French territory's too so teams from the Reunion Islands, for example, can enter and could play Marseille at home and Marseille would need to fly out and play in the Reunion Islands.

Mental competition!

s.a.m
10-02-2016, 07:06 AM
Bordeaux and Libourne for me. Bordeaux because I've seen them a few times. Libourne (amateur team) because they have stuck in my head since we were at a Bordeaux match, and were sat in front of a chap who spent the match shouting "A Libourne Wiltord!!!!", which I assume is a kind of French alternative to "Taxi for Wiltord!".

Peevemor
10-02-2016, 08:28 PM

If anyone I'd say Guingamp. Guingamp's about the same size as Peebles and the team, as well as winning the French cup twice in recent years, are currently in Ligue 1. They have something like 9k ST holders - more than the population of the town!

It was the first French/Breton town that I got to know well (starting over 20 years ago) and it was there that I watched my first French matches.

But to be honest, I struggle to get enthusiastic or emotional about football these days unless Hibs are involved.

Most of my mates here support Rennes and although I've been to a few matches and tried my best, I simply can't get into it.

So it's Hibs TV and Cliff the slaver for me.