PDA

View Full Version : Double edge safety razor shaving

sauzeelegod
10-01-2016, 01:55 PM
Does anyone shave with one of these? I got one as an Xmas present, used it about 5 times and it cuts my neck to bits. Is it worth persevering with? Thinking of going back to my trusty electric razor.

Betty Boop
10-01-2016, 02:10 PM
Does anyone shave with one of these? I got one as an Xmas present, used it about 5 times and it cuts my neck to bits. Is it worth persevering with? Thinking of going back to my trusty electric razor.

Have you tied using it with shaving oil, such as King of Shaves ?

Pretty Boy
10-01-2016, 02:18 PM
I've posted extensively on this in the past and love using a double edge razor.

Make sure you have:

A good quality (preferably badger hair) shaving brush

Good quality blades

A good shaving cream

Decent post shave balm

Shave either just after showering or moisten your face with a hot towel for about 30 seconds. Wet your brush and apply the shaving cream then leave it for about a minute to soften the hair. Start by shaving your sideburn area and cheeks, hold the razor at about a 30 degree angle and use short strokes, go with the grain of your growth. Don't push down too hard, certainly lighter than you would press with an electric or cartridge razor. Be careful on the neck as the grain grows all different ways here and you may have to adjust the direction of shave. Shave the chin and moustache areas last. If required repeat but shaving 'across' the grain rather than with it. Rinse and towel dry your face then apply the shaving balm.

As suggested above putting an oil on before applying a shaving cream can make things a bit smoother.

sleeping giant
10-01-2016, 03:01 PM
I was hoping to get one of these for Christmas but nobody took the hint. But still , my Toberlerone is the biggest chocolate thing I had ever seen which is now finished without me getting a bit.

sauzeelegod
10-01-2016, 05:36 PM
Have you tied using it with shaving oil, such as King of Shaves ?

I've been using Palmolive shaving cream.

sauzeelegod
10-01-2016, 05:38 PM
I've posted extensively on this in the past and love using a double edge razor.

Make sure you have:

A good quality (preferably badger hair) shaving brush

Good quality blades

A good shaving cream

Decent post shave balm

Shave either just after showering or moisten your face with a hot towel for about 30 seconds. Wet your brush and apply the shaving cream then leave it for about a minute to soften the hair. Start by shaving your sideburn area and cheeks, hold the razor at about a 30 degree angle and use short strokes, go with the grain of your growth. Don't push down too hard, certainly lighter than you would press with an electric or cartridge razor. Be careful on the neck as the grain grows all different ways here and you may have to adjust the direction of shave. Shave the chin and moustache areas last. If required repeat but shaving 'across' the grain rather than with it. Rinse and towel dry your face then apply the shaving balm.

As suggested above putting an oil on before applying a shaving cream can make things a bit smoother.

Thanks mate, I'll keep going with it. My face area is perfectly smooth, it's just my neck I'm having problems with. I'll keep working on my holding angle

Hanny
10-01-2016, 05:58 PM
Thanks mate, I'll keep going with it. My face area is perfectly smooth, it's just my neck I'm having problems with. I'll keep working on my holding angle

Stick with it. I converted a couple of years ago and wouldn't go back. So much cheaper and much better once you get used to it. Shaving right after a shower makes it easier too. Try places like shavingshack.co.uk and traditional shaving company for blades, soaps, creams, and oils etc.

The_Exile
10-01-2016, 06:07 PM
Get a good pre shave oil or cream and put plenty on the neck area, I use Proraso stuff and it's brilliant, the irritation will likely be cause by you pressing down too hard on the sensitive neck area, it's a bad habit we've all carried with us at some stage as you usually do need to press down quite hard with disposable blades like Gillettes etc, stick with it and you'll soon get the knack of it and never look back. I used to hate shaving, now it's something I do twice a week with pleasure! Try and get a good proper aftershave and use an Alum block after shaving as that reduces irritation, a good post shave moisturser is essential, think most folk use Nivea sensitive and the stuff is legendary for a reason!

Link to the stuff I use before putting the shaving cream on http://www.amazon.co.uk/Proraso-Pre-Post-Shave-Cream/dp/B0082BYLS6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452452659&sr=8-1&keywords=proraso

HibbyKeith
10-01-2016, 08:45 PM
Get a good pre shave oil or cream and put plenty on the neck area, I use Proraso stuff and it's brilliant, the irritation will likely be cause by you pressing down too hard on the sensitive neck area, it's a bad habit we've all carried with us at some stage as you usually do need to press down quite hard with disposable blades like Gillettes etc, stick with it and you'll soon get the knack of it and never look back. I used to hate shaving, now it's something I do twice a week with pleasure! Try and get a good proper aftershave and use an Alum block after shaving as that reduces irritation, a good post shave moisturser is essential, think most folk use Nivea sensitive and the stuff is legendary for a reason!

Link to the stuff I use before putting the shaving cream on http://www.amazon.co.uk/Proraso-Pre-Post-Shave-Cream/dp/B0082BYLS6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452452659&sr=8-1&keywords=proraso

:agree:

I bought the full Proraso set about 6 months ago http://www.amazon.co.uk/Piece-Proraso-Original-Shaving-Gift/dp/B00XFEO8TC/ref=sr_1_20?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1452462034&sr=1-20&keywords=Proraso

Wont ever use another razor again. Shave takes a bit longer than it used to but well worth it for such a great shave.

First few shaves I had quite a few little nicks but not had any for a couple of months now.

Stick with it, you wont regret it, neither will your wallet.

Danderhall Hibs
10-01-2016, 10:04 PM
:agree:

I bought the full Proraso set about 6 months ago http://www.amazon.co.uk/Piece-Proraso-Original-Shaving-Gift/dp/B00XFEO8TC/ref=sr_1_20?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1452462034&sr=1-20&keywords=Proraso

Wont ever use another razor again. Shave takes a bit longer than it used to but well worth it for such a great shave.

First few shaves I had quite a few little nicks but not had any for a couple of months now.

Stick with it, you wont regret it, neither will your wallet.

Doesn't look like you get a blade in that pack mate? Is there any recommended?

The_Exile
10-01-2016, 11:21 PM

Whatever you do, don't use the free ones that come with the razor, they are bloody awful and will cut your face to shreds! The best ones I found for a beginner are Astra blades, they're very forgiving so perfect for someone starting out. Feather blades are considered the sharpest but I've been shaving with double edged razors for a while and they're too sharp for me. I personally use a blade 2 or 3 times then chuck it, with 100 in a box that's up to 300 shaves for just over a tenner, compare that to around 10 or so shaves with each disposable at £15 a pop for a 3 pack then the money saving soon stacks up!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Astra-Double-Edge-Razor-100/dp/B018XJ5XHE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452471560&sr=8-1&keywords=astra+blades

HibbyKeith
10-01-2016, 11:29 PM

I use the blades linked above by exile, as for the actual razor I went for this one mate.. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Merkur-Classic-Double-Edged-Safety-34C/dp/B000VXMMZW

Can't link properly on my phone for some reason.

Danderhall Hibs
11-01-2016, 11:07 AM
Whatever you do, don't use the free ones that come with the razor, they are bloody awful and will cut your face to shreds! The best ones I found for a beginner are Astra blades, they're very forgiving so perfect for someone starting out. Feather blades are considered the sharpest but I've been shaving with double edged razors for a while and they're too sharp for me. I personally use a blade 2 or 3 times then chuck it, with 100 in a box that's up to 300 shaves for just over a tenner, compare that to about a couple of dozen shaves with disposables at £15 a pop for a 3 pack then the money saving soon stacks up!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Astra-Double-Edge-Razor-100/dp/B018XJ5XHE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452471560&sr=8-1&keywords=astra+blades

I use the blades linked above by exile, as for the actual razor I went for this one mate.. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Merkur-Classic-Double-Edged-Safety-34C/dp/B000VXMMZW

Cheers guys - I'll have a look. It's my birthday soon so I'll see if I can get a hint out in time.

sauzeelegod
11-01-2016, 11:51 AM
Thanks for all the hints. I'll keep going and hopefully I get better and my shaves get better.

Scouse Hibee
11-01-2016, 01:27 PM
Just out of interest does anyone shave with a really old one where you don't change the blade?

Godsahibby
11-01-2016, 02:00 PM
I've been using one of these for a while now and love it, no way I would go back to a disposible. Possibly the issue with you is that your face isnt used to shaving if you have been using an electric razor.

I love a good shave, make sure I wash my face first, good face wash for that, it helps heat the skin and soften the hairs. I would agree that a good badger hair brush is important as well as a good shaving cream. Best cream I have found and love it actually from the Body Shop, maca root shave cream, gives an amazing shave and smells superb.

Andy74
11-01-2016, 02:24 PM
I'd never go back either - takes a few weeks to get used to but no bother after that.

I find the foam is the most important factor, it has to be a decent lather or you are still going to feel it. I use a taylors of old bond street sandalwood soap with a decent best badger brush and a good bowl.

Next most important things is what you stick on afterwards. A good rinse with warm water, then finish with as cold as you can get but then I stick on some pure witch hazel - even the stuff with alcohol is okay and I haven't found it drying. Then just a plain moisturiser.

I tried an alum block for while and it resulted in the worst shaving burns I'd ever had so really depends on your skin what might work.

I use derby blades - I think the pack I got will last me about a decade or more for less than the price of a 3 pack of gillettes.

sauzeelegod
12-01-2016, 01:02 PM
Just shaved again. My neck is in absolute bits. I've ordered a Gillette guard, it's a single edge blade made for the Indian market. Very cheap and replacement blades are dirt cheap too. Hopefully that makes shaving more enjoyable

The_Exile
13-01-2016, 01:51 PM
Just out of interest does anyone shave with a really old one where you don't change the blade?

A straight razor? Yes I've got one of those, it's absolutely lethal though, it took me many many tutorial videos on YouTube and a ton of practice to get a decent shave, closest I've ever had mind.

Hanny
13-01-2016, 04:42 PM
Just shaved again. My neck is in absolute bits. I've ordered a Gillette guard, it's a single edge blade made for the Indian market. Very cheap and replacement blades are dirt cheap too. Hopefully that makes shaving more enjoyable

Have a look at mantic59 on YouTube. His shaving videos are very good.

blackpoolhibs
13-01-2016, 04:45 PM
I'd never go back either - takes a few weeks to get used to but no bother after that.

I find the foam is the most important factor, it has to be a decent lather or you are still going to feel it. I use a taylors of old bond street sandalwood soap with a decent best badger brush and a good bowl.

Next most important things is what you stick on afterwards. A good rinse with warm water, then finish with as cold as you can get but then I stick on some pure witch hazel - even the stuff with alcohol is okay and I haven't found it drying. Then just a plain moisturiser.

I tried an alum block for while and it resulted in the worst shaving burns I'd ever had so really depends on your skin what might work.

I use derby blades - I think the pack I got will last me about a decade or more for less than the price of a 3 pack of gillettes.

I have these too, bought a pack of 100, they will last for ever. I don't use any of that fancy dan stuff you mention above, before or after.

Just brush against soap and lather up, shave twice and cold water rinse. Never cut myself these days, maybe only cut myself a couple of times when i first purchased my £5 razor from ebay around 18 months ago. :smug:

The_Exile
14-01-2016, 09:15 AM
Also a good forum at www.theshavingroom.co.uk (http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk) with plenty useful threads and info.

HH81
19-01-2016, 06:46 AM

Too much pressure and I'd bet your going against the grain in some areas? I had this problem at the start and was going down when that area was against the grain, you will get there but feel the hairs in all directions and you can tell which way it grows.

I use a boar brush and it is fine so you don't have to use badger, just use what works for you, relax, no pressure and a sharp blade. I am currently into the yellow sharp edge blades and i have rough hair but it gets through them smooth.

--------
19-01-2016, 12:04 PM

You mean one of these?

http://efdreams.com/data_images/dreams/razor/razor-06.jpg

Scouse Hibee
19-01-2016, 07:28 PM
You mean one of these?

That's the one, remember seeing the barber as a kid stropping it on a leather strap before he shaved someone.

--------
19-01-2016, 09:31 PM
That's the one, remember seeing the barber as a kid stropping it on a leather strap before he shaved someone.

The place I get my haircut, the boss man will shave you with one of those if you ask nicely and sign the waiver.

He told me that when he was an apprentice he his boss would blow up a balloon, cover it with shaving soap, and have him remove the soap with a well-sharpened open razor. For months he would get so far only to pop the balloon (to the great amusement of the customers and other barbers) and only when he could get the soap off the balloon without popping it consistently time after time was he let loose on the customers.

As for the double-edged safety razors, that was what I used when I started shaving back in the 1960's. Best shave you can get (short of my pal shaving you with the hot towels and the cut-throat job) - but you need a sensitive hane an always shave with the growth of the hair - never against it, or you're as well putting your head in a bacon slicer.

sauzeelegod
20-01-2016, 05:59 PM
I done one of the beard growth maps to see what direction my beard hair grows in and it's been a game changer. Where I thought I was shaving WTG I was actually ATG.
Getting smooth comfortable shaves now. Delighted

snooky
23-01-2016, 10:45 AM
FWIW, I've used a Mach3 for years and have had no problems.

sleeping giant
23-01-2016, 03:11 PM
You mean one of these?

:greengrin:
That's what I thought this whole thread was about.
I was thinking everybody was very brave.

Aldo
24-01-2016, 08:19 AM
:greengrin: That's what I thought this whole thread was about. I was thinking everybody was very brave.

That's a cut throat razor SG....

This is a double sided Razor

Scouse Hibee
24-01-2016, 09:10 AM

It is about the similar type of razor except with changeable blades.

overdrive
26-01-2016, 08:22 PM
This might be a daft question but can you take one of these on a plane in your hand luggage?

Pretty Boy
26-01-2016, 08:27 PM
This might be a daft question but can you take one of these on a plane in your hand luggage?

No. Relevant part near the top:

http://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the-airport/flying-out/security/security-restrictions/

patch1875
27-01-2016, 01:25 PM

I get a shave at my barbers every couple of months as a treat, it's the same type of razor but with a changeable blade.

Love it you come out feeling space out after as its so relaxing.

overdrive
28-01-2016, 09:40 PM
So I took delivery of the Merkur 34C today and I just took my first foray into DE shaving.

First impressions are good. However, I found it more difficult to shave the left side of my face compared to the right. The right side is noticeably smoother than the left and the couple of small nicks I made were on the left too. I found it difficult to get it to the correct angle when doing that side and I tried it with both my right and left hands with the same result.

Any hints?

blackpoolhibs
28-01-2016, 09:46 PM
So I took delivery of the Merkur 34C today and I just took my first foray into DE shaving.

First impressions are good. However, I found it more difficult to shave the left side of my face compared to the right. The right side is noticeably smoother than the left and the couple of small nicks I made were on the left too. I found it difficult to get it to the correct angle when doing that side and I tried it with both my right and left hands with the same result.

Any hints?

Just practise really, maybe adjust the angle slightly so you are not so straight on.

Danderhall Hibs
02-02-2016, 09:58 AM

These blades aren't available on Amazon anymore - is there any others recommended. I can't actually find many on there.

HibbyKeith
02-02-2016, 10:10 AM
These blades aren't available on Amazon anymore - is there any others recommended. I can't actually find many on there.
The actual razor or the blades mate?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

HibbyKeith
02-02-2016, 10:16 AM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01BAU3TG0/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr0_1?qid=1454411588&sr=8-1-fkmr0&pi=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=astra+razor+blades+double+edge

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000VXMMZW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1454411701&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=merkur+34c&dpPl=1&dpID=31ROkJ0jOwL&ref=plSrch

Danderhall Hibs
02-02-2016, 11:02 AM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01BAU3TG0/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr0_1?qid=1454411588&sr=8-1-fkmr0&pi=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=astra+razor+blades+double+edge

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000VXMMZW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1454411701&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=merkur+34c&dpPl=1&dpID=31ROkJ0jOwL&ref=plSrch

Cheers - the blades. I had added them to my "wish list" but they were no longer available when I selected them.

I was having a look at this razor -https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B017BJDTNW/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A26BH5GCMR426E

any comments?

HibbyKeith
02-02-2016, 11:07 AM
All just preference mate. I know of folk who spent a tenner for their razor and swear by it. I've seen those butterfly opening ones at a few different houses while working too so they are definitely popular.

HH81
02-02-2016, 11:27 AM
This is the blades I use - http://www.carterandbond.com/detail.phtml?pID=GL1013

Cost £15.00 for 100 pack.

Danderhall Hibs
02-02-2016, 12:29 PM

Cheers - all ordered. Should be with me by the weekend/early next week.

I'll come on here shortly after and ask how best to deal with all my cuts. :greengrin

HibbyKeith
02-02-2016, 01:35 PM
Cheers - all ordered. Should be with me by the weekend/early next week.

I'll come on here shortly after and ask how best to deal with all my cuts. :greengrin

Got you sorted for any slight nicks, grab one of these.. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00CP1CJE2/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?qid=1454423515&sr=8-9&pi=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=alum+block

Danderhall Hibs
03-02-2016, 05:41 AM
Got you sorted for any slight nicks, grab one of these.. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00CP1CJE2/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?qid=1454423515&sr=8-9&pi=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=alum+block

Cheers Keith. I'll see how I go and when I start slashing myself will order it!